Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #2901
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: "someone very important" -- Linda & her political campaign perhaps?

Which would make sense with regard to bringing him back when it blows over, it's really not that long until she's either won or lost that race.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #2902
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Latest reports I've seen indicated that it was not related to creative, so that would eliminate Heyman/Sullivan as the topic. Hell it's probably the reformation of Benjamin/Haas or the hiring of some reality show star.

Almost certainly this. The last time she used that sort of hype it was the hiring of Ken Anderson (nee Kennedy)

That said however ... I wonder what the timing sequence of Danielson's (allegedly) being told he was fired versus her Twitter was? And whether a non-compete applies if he was indeed future endeavored.

Johnson on PWI did say he believes there will be a debut or return at the show but he doesn't believe it'll be like Batista or anyone of that nature. I really don't know who it could be.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #2903
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: the Dixie surprise

According to reports, TNA’s upcoming changes are much larger than just a switch on the creative side. Dixie Carter has described the changes as “true change.”

The changes are all the talk within TNA right now but nobody really knows what Dixie is planning. Dixie is keeping quiet on what’s about to happen and only telling people “cryptic messages” about being on the same page.

The surprise planned for Slammiversary and the big changes she has been teasing are expected to be two different things.

Dixie wrote this on Twitter last night: “Just got off phone w/Spike prez Kevin Kay. He is all in and agrees this will change TNA on every level.”

New Details on TNA’s Major Changes Planned | WRESTLESCOOP.COM

Here's a couple of thoughts, purely from my own top of mind
1) What's the status of Good Ol' JR's contract and/or non-compete?
2) Maybe a breakaway show or specified segment for the Knockouts?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #2904
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
re: the Dixie surprise

According to reports, TNA’s upcoming changes are much larger than just a switch on the creative side. Dixie Carter has described the changes as “true change.”

The changes are all the talk within TNA right now but nobody really knows what Dixie is planning. Dixie is keeping quiet on what’s about to happen and only telling people “cryptic messages” about being on the same page.

The surprise planned for Slammiversary and the big changes she has been teasing are expected to be two different things.

Dixie wrote this on Twitter last night: “Just got off phone w/Spike prez Kevin Kay. He is all in and agrees this will change TNA on every level.”

New Details on TNA’s Major Changes Planned | WRESTLESCOOP.COM

Here's a couple of thoughts, purely from my own top of mind
1) What's the status of Good Ol' JR's contract and/or non-compete?
2) Maybe a breakaway show or specified segment for the Knockouts?

1) He said on his blog he signed a new deal with WWE. It allows him to pursue outside broadcasting (MMA, football) but obviously not TNA.

2) Been rumored a while, I could see that.

I wonder if perhaps TNA is going getting some sort of prime time live specials like Clash of the Champions?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #2905
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I wonder if perhaps TNA is going getting some sort of prime time live specials like Clash of the Champions?

Eh, doesn't really fit IMO, not based on the wording of her tweet about the head of Spike TV being all in, etc. To me it sounded more like she let him in on the change, rather than him being a major catalyst to the news.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #2906
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Eh, doesn't really fit IMO, not based on the wording of her tweet about the head of Spike TV being all in, etc. To me it sounded more like she let him in on the change, rather than him being a major catalyst to the news.

Good point. I never read that tweet until after I posted it. Could be something different with PPV's? Another rumor a while back was that she wanted to cut down on the number of PPV's they run to make them more important. I don't know why that would be a big change though.

Another thing I read on PWI earlier was along the lines of don't expect Shane McMahon to show up or anything, but I could see something like that tbqh. Well maybe I can't see it, but it fits.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #2907
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another thing I read on PWI earlier was along the lines of don't expect Shane McMahon to show up or anything, but I could see something like that tbqh. Well maybe I can't see it, but it fits.

Dana White?

I'm kidding but that would fit the description IMO.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #2908
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Dana White?

I'm kidding but that would fit the description IMO.

Yeah, I do agree though, I feel it makes sense for it to be like that. Perhaps she will announce a new investor (you know, a real one, not Mick Foley)?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #2909
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I do agree though, I feel it makes sense for it to be like that. Perhaps she will announce a new investor (you know, a real one, not Mick Foley)?

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #2910
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

im not buying Daniel getting fired over choking the announcer, he got fired for spitting on the golden boys face
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #2911
Terps
College Prospect

Apparently Mattell were the ones who complained, and WWE would rather lose Danielson than a big money sponsor.

I've read that he'll be back when it all blows over though.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #2912
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not even Dixie can be this dumb, but who knows, it does seem par the course for her "huge announcements". A few places are speculating that she will announce TNA will broadcast in 3D. Considering that like 20 people in TNA's audience probably have a 3DTV, I'd say this would be absurd on her TNA's part. It seems off though with the fact that she let Spike's president know about it, as I am assuming Spike would be involved in this from the outset and not just told it's happening.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #2913
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
Apparently Mattell were the ones who complained, and WWE would rather lose Danielson than a big money sponsor.

I've read that he'll be back when it all blows over though.

Heard the interview where one insider talked about it and said it was somebody outside of the company forcing WWE's hand and Bryan was just the fall guy. Maybe was used a number of times in terms of describing if he was going to come back after a time.

Here's the download of the interview.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BO6QFQ9Z

Old 06-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #2914
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

heres an online petition to sign to get Daniel reinstated. wont do much likely, but it will give you a chance to vent. i signed 2 times with my different email accounts

http://www.petitiononline.com/bdaniels/petition.html
Old 06-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #2915
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not even Dixie can be this dumb, but who knows, it does seem par the course for her "huge announcements". A few places are speculating that she will announce TNA will broadcast in 3D. Considering that like 20 people in TNA's audience probably have a 3DTV, I'd say this would be absurd on her TNA's part. It seems off though with the fact that she let Spike's president know about it, as I am assuming Spike would be involved in this from the outset and not just told it's happening.

As mentioned in the interview I posted, 3D is too expensive for no real return outside of them saying they got to do it first. WWE added HD which cost them a bunch and their numbers didn't change. Rereading what Dixie is saying, she mentions Spike is giving it the thumbs up, so I'm wondering if it isn't ownership related.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #2916
RainMaker
General Manager

Is Mattel really that big of a sponsor? They seem to have a lot of sponsors on the show and I can't fathom they would have trouble finding replacements who would want to reach that audience demographic.

Just seems a little out there to have one sponsor destroy their product for a large percent of the fanbase.

I still think this has more to do with Linda's Senate campaign.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-13-2010 at 06:00 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #2917
molson
General Manager

Cena tweet regarding Danielson:

"I am very upset to hear about the release of bryan danielson. Social networks were formed so people would have a voice, and an opinon. I Know you all have your own, theories and whatnot. I respect that. I have never asked any of you to feel a certaint way about me. But Bryan left a lasting impression on the wwe universe in a very short time, and although it came at my expense, I agree with the majority Of you who are caught off guard by this choice."

That sure took a lot of steam out of the awesome NXT angle. I don't know. Maybe he comes back when whatever this is "blows over" but I somehow doubt it.

I'm assuming that he didn't just choke Roberts on his own, though I guess that's possible. If the workers are told to not "Benoit" anybody, than he needed to go because you can't have loose cannons on a live mainstream wrestling show doing their own thing.

Last edited by molson : 06-13-2010 at 09:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #2918
RainMaker
General Manager

The angle isn't lacking steam, it's dead.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #2919
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is Mattel really that big of a sponsor? They seem to have a lot of sponsors on the show and I can't fathom they would have trouble finding replacements who would want to reach that audience demographic.

Just seems a little out there to have one sponsor destroy their product for a large percent of the fanbase.

I still think this has more to do with Linda's Senate campaign.

Mattel is a big sponsor, but they have been dealing with the WWE far too long for them to get mad about this. Even if they did, the WWE would hopefully back up their own talent. If this ruffled the feathers of somebody in Linda's campaign committee, then I can see where they felt less inclined to stick out their necks for him. It's one thing to piss off a sponsor. It's another to piss off the boss's wife.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #2920
RainMaker
General Manager

Exactly. I just don't see Mattel halting operations on all their WWE toys and ads because they wouldn't fire one guy who went too far during a segment.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #2921
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So regardining Dixie's announcement:

Dave Scherer at PWI received an anonymous e-mail (he cannot confirm it's validity obviously) but the idea intrigued him enough to post (he noted it is pure speculation at this point though the sender claims to be with TNA). Anyway, the e-mail stated that TNA will stop with PPV's altogether and instead do live shows on Spike instead.

This actually would make sense since most likely TNA doesn't draw big PPV buys, so they probably aren't making too much money and it doesn't open up their audience at all. assuming Spike pays them for the shows, they can make some money and draw in more viewers.

Would not be a bad move at all.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #2922
Flasch186
Coordinator

Clash of the Champions - Part Deux

I lyke it!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #2923
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyway, the e-mail stated that TNA will stop with PPV's altogether and instead do live shows on Spike instead.

And they can do them with yet another addition to the roster that's better suited to be a road agent than a performer at this stage of their career.

Meanwhile Roxxi is gone (again) as of last night, followed by ODB's announcement that she's out of there effective immediately.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #2924
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ha, as if people on the net weren't outraged enough, Raw ends with attempted vehicular homicide. Better hope no one in WWE goes nuts in the future Rampage Jackson style or else they'll lose that old favorite too.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #2925
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ha, as if people on the net weren't outraged enough, Raw ends with attempted vehicular homicide. Better hope no one in WWE goes nuts in the future Rampage Jackson style or else they'll lose that old favorite too.

are you serious? im hoping it was Daniel behind the wheel
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #2926
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

well looks like wwe waived Danielson's 90 day no compete clause. He is listed as appearing at Dragon Gate USA next month
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #2927
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel View Post
well looks like wwe waived Danielson's 90 day no compete clause. He is listed as appearing at Dragon Gate USA next month

I believe the no compete is in still applicable he just can't go to TNA or ROH.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #2928
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i think he cant appear on tv or and vidoes or ppv
Old 06-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #2929
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Goddamit Jay Lethal is fucking off the hook as Ric Flair. Simply unblievable.

I wonder if he's got any other impressions under his belt, because he's nailed Flair and Savage.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #2930
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Surprising to see where Davey Richards is planning to retire later this year.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/arti...is-year-104757

In a recent interview conducted for ScrippsNews.com, Ring of Honor star Davey Richards had the following to say about his decision to retire from pro wrestling this December. "I didn't plan to do this for my career. I've gotten done with paramedic school and have other things I want to concentrate on. I want to get my black belt in jiujitsu and finish the fire academy. I'm married now, too. Ring of Honor has so many talented guys that they don't need me anymore."

When asked about the possibility of returning from retirement as others have done in the past, Richards said, "First off, I hate to say I'm retiring. I'm just a small-town guy who wrestles. Ric Flair retires. Lou Thesz retires. For me, I'm just not going to show up anymore."
Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #2931
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Surprising to see where Davey Richards is planning to retire later this year.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/arti...is-year-104757

In a recent interview conducted for ScrippsNews.com, Ring of Honor star Davey Richards had the following to say about his decision to retire from pro wrestling this December. "I didn't plan to do this for my career. I've gotten done with paramedic school and have other things I want to concentrate on. I want to get my black belt in jiujitsu and finish the fire academy. I'm married now, too. Ring of Honor has so many talented guys that they don't need me anymore."

When asked about the possibility of returning from retirement as others have done in the past, Richards said, "First off, I hate to say I'm retiring. I'm just a small-town guy who wrestles. Ric Flair retires. Lou Thesz retires. For me, I'm just not going to show up anymore."

feel like he has been saying this for the last 2 years.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #2932
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Going out to see CHIKARA for the first time a week from Saturday. They are in Detroit and it's Danielson's first match back on the indy's, facing Eddie Kingston, a guy who is severely underrated.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #2933
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

have fun. I definitely take for granted living 20 minutes from the Arena.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #2934
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
G*ddamit Jay Lethal is f*cking off the hook as Ric Flair. Simply unblievable.

I wonder if he's got any other impressions under his belt, because he's nailed Flair and Savage.

Flipped by during that segment last night. It was hilarious in a wierd way though. It is sad seeing Flair flail all around and make a mockery of himself but funny that he would be willing to do that to put younger guys over...

Lethal is a pretty talented wrestler that can hold your attention with the comedy stuff. I think there is a real value to that as a midcard act...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #2935
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel View Post
have fun. I definitely take for granted living 20 minutes from the Arena.

For sure, I am glad to see Chikara on the road. Having Dragon work this show is going to be huge for them as well with the extra crowd he'll most likely bring.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #2936
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I have front row seats for Death Before Dishonor VIII tonight, looks like it could easily be the best Ring of Honor show this year, and quite frankly could be one of the best wrestling shows of the year period. The card is just STACKED, I can't wait!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #2937
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I have front row seats for Death Before Dishonor VIII tonight, looks like it could easily be the best Ring of Honor show this year, and quite frankly could be one of the best wrestling shows of the year period. The card is just STACKED, I can't wait!

Steen vs Generico is going to be nuts. The Steen/Corino vs Generico/Cabana feud has been fucking great. Some bloody, bloody shit.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #2938
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Steen/Generico really should be off the hook, Kings vs Briscoes could be very good, and the Gauntlet might go well if it ends up with the right pairings.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #2939
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Although I don't think I'm going to order, apparently the event is available on online PPV for $14.95 at GFL - GoFightLive - Ring of Honor - Death Before Dishonor VIII
Old 06-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #2940
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

for discussion:

hxxp://www.ugo.com/tv/wrestlings-greatest-gimmick-changes

the greatest gimmick changes in wrestling history
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #2941
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
for discussion:

Somehow Shockmaster seems badly out of place with the others....

I think Curt Hennig would be better served in his place.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #2942
Mota
College Benchwarmer

RoH PPV tonight was amazing. Definitely the best live show I've ever been to and I've seen a lot. The RoH World Title match was unbelievable, 35 minutes of fantastic wrestling. Easily a contender for match of the year. If you didn't get the iPPV, order it now and watch it once it has been archived. The Tag Title match was also fantastic, pure mayhem throughout with 3 of the 4 guys bleeding. Mark Briscoe had the "crimson mask". Steen / Generico was also great.

Overall the feuds do seem to continue, but that's okay since we got good finishes for most of the matches. Can't wait to see how they follow this up.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #2943
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
for discussion:

I think there's two categories of gimmick changes. In one, a guy just starts playing another character with no relation to the first (Goldust, Raven).

In the other, it's actually a change - some kind of onscreen progression from one gimmick to another.

In the latter category, I nominate:

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #2944
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The best part of that video is Gene's thinly-veiled racism.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #2945
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ha, Fatal Four Way (Edit - Couldn't remember the damn name of the show somehow) goes off air to a laid out Cena in the ring (with no announcers) and the crowd chanting Daniel Bryan loud as hell.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 06-20-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #2946
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
The best part of that video is Gene's thinly-veiled racism.

He was stradling the line a couple of times wasn't he?
"Renew my subscription to National Geographic"

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-21-2010 at 12:13 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #2947
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Saw Chikara tonight, awesome show. Danielson came out to the NXT theme song and was showered with ties instead of streamers. He and Kingston had a fun match to boot. Awesome all around show.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #2948
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Given all the hype about the MCMG vs Beer Money ladder match & the (almost sure to be botched sooner rather than later) ECW invasion angle, we decided to watch Impact tonight.

As bad as Abyss beating up a side of beef with a barbed wire bat was, the backstage "brawl" between Taylor & Sarita was downright painful. You won't see as many poorly executed "punches", "kicks", and "weapon shots" at an outlaw indy show as they managed to have caught on camera in an interminable few minutes.

Damn I love to look at Taylor but not even her looks could overcome the massive fail of that segment. And now that they've come to the ring it hasn't improved much. Why is it so hard to figure out that you're supposed to play to your worker's strengths, not highlight their weaknesses?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #2950
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lord knows I find little good to say about TNA for a long while now but I thought they did a pretty good job of editing the end of the show tonight. Based on the spoilers I'd read (and went back & read again to see if I had missed something), it looks as though they may have added Dixie's bit from a different taping, which actually worked pretty well as a way to fade to black.