Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Extreme Jestorball In The Nation's Capital (DDS:PB)

The 7 Jestorian Principles Of Basketball GM'ing

1. Always have a pass-first PG running the offense.
2. Whenever possible, have two pass-first PGs.
3. No matter what, always have at least one 1st round pick in a draft.
4. Finesse centers are the worst thing to have on a basketball court.
5. A title can not be won without at least one scoring superstar.
6. Size matters in the backcourt. A 6'7 or 6'8 SG is a gamechanger.
7. Never be afraid to make a trade.

So there you have it, the 7 Principles the famed GM Jestor lives by.

Hi. I'm Izulde, a disciple of Jestor's. I'm here with the Washington Wizards.

It's 2007 and I plan to mold the Wizards into an extreme version of Jestor's philosophy. To do this, I need to translate these principles into rules.

Quote:
OOC House Rules
1. The starting PG must have 70 passing/70 handling minimum. If he ever drops below that, he has to be moved to backup and a new starter found.
1a. The backup PG must have 65 passing/65 handling minimum.
2. At least one starter must have 75 scoring. If there isn't one, a trade, drafting or FA signing must be done to get one, unless it violates Rule #3.
3. The team must always have at least one first round pick in a draft.
4. The starting C must have Post as his strongest shot tendency by a large margin.
5. 6'7 is the minimum height for the starting SG.
6. There must be at least one trade made per season.

It's just before draft time and already there's a problem. Gilbert Arenas, the face of the franchise, who scored 28.4 points a game last season, is not a good enough floor general. Nor is he tall enough to be the starting two guard.

The realization makes me so nervous that I flub the interview with Lincoln Rollins, the Wizards owner. He's got thin hair, even thinner patience and a desire to win so bad, he rips me a new one when I stammer out that we're going to be an average team this year. Worse yet, when I tell him we'll be about the cap to lose, he says okay.

Only to realize that we're $17.4 million over.

I quickly make a trade to engage in damage control.

Washington Wizards receive
PG Brevin Knight
PF Emeka Okafor

Charlotte Bobcats receive
SF Antawn Jamison
SG DeShawn Stevenson
Washington Wizards 2007 2nd round pick (#48 overall)

What this means for the Wizards
The 32 year old Knight is a pure pass-first PG, one of the best in the NBA at running offenses. Won't produce many points himself though and despite being a great stealer, is a mediocre defender and short at 5'10. Okafor's the real prize here; an intelligent, disciplined 25 year old with unreal rebounding and defensive potential. If he can get his ballhandling and scoring instincts up more, he'll anchor Washington's frontcourt for years to come.

What this means for the Bobcats
Jamison may be 31, but he's still offense on a stick, capable of 20+ points a game. He's got great rebounding hops as well and he'll provided much-needed points to a Charlotte team lacking in scoring punch. Second year man Adam Morrison isn't there yet and no one else looks capable of the load. Stevenson's a mediocre bench player.

Winner: Charlotte
Not a good start for Jestor protege Izulde here, as he gives a division rival the player they need to make a run at the Southeast. While the Wizards shave off almost $8 million in salary right now, they also give up a $16 million and change expiring contract in Jamison, money that could've been used to make a splash next summer.

I'd like to see them trying to operate under these conditions.

Ironically enough, we find exactly the player we need with another division foe.

SG Joe Johnson
Atlanta Hawks 2007 1st round pick (#5 overall)

Atlanta Hawks receive
PG Gilbert Arenas
Washington Wizards 2009 2nd round pick
Washington Wizards 2010 2nd round pick

Johnson's a big (6'7, 235) SG who's so good with passing and ballhandling, he could start at PG. A breathtaking scorer, he also plays lockdown defense and is extremely disciplined. They're going to love this 26 year old former Razorback in D.C. as he'll have an even bigger impact than Arenas has the last few years. And a Top 5 pick to boot makes it all the sweeter, giving the Wizards the ammunition to improve quickly.

What this means for the Hawks
Arenas is a year younger than Johnson and already an NBA scoring champion for the next 5-8 years. While not quite the shutdown defender that Johnson is, he's still very, very good and one of the league's biggest names. He'll sell a ton of jerseys in Hotlanta and he's good enough to singlehandedly vault the Hawks into playoff contention in a weak East.

Winner: Draw
Both teams made out extremely well here. It's a weak draft class this season, so the #5 pick isn't nearly as good as it looks on paper, because this class is all about two names: Greg Oden and Kevin Durant, both of whom would fit beautifully with the Wizards if they can somehow swindle the Raptors or Knicks into giving up the #1 or #2 pick.

I call New York and Toronto, but they're not budging in the Big Apple or the Great White North, so I'm left with the #5 and #18 picks in a class where the #5 will return a mid-first talent and the #18 is good enough to get a high 2nd rounder in most drafts.

All I have to say after my first week in Washington is... FML.

We'll see how the draft goes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

It'd cost too much to fire Eddie Jordan, so we're stuck with him and his staff for at least this season.

Mock Draft
#5 - C Sean Williams - Boston College (20)
#18 - C Marc Gasol - Spain (22)

It's true we need a big man and Williams's 60% post tendency is just enough to meet the Jestorian minimum. Gasol's a finesse C, so we'll obviously pass on him.

Actually, it feels like we need help everywhere but SG, so it's looking like a case of BPA, in accordance with our principles of course.

We've got our shortlist of players after workouts and are ready to go.

2007 NBA Draft 1st Round
1. C Greg Oden - Toronto Raptors
2. SF Kevin Durant - New York Knicks
3. C Spencer Hawes - Charlotte Bobcats
4. SF Jeff Green - Portland Trailblazers

The Green pick's a shocker, but it's one I'm pleased to see because it allows me to draft the player I've been targeting for this spot. And no, it isn't Brandan Wright as the analysts think.

5. SF Al Thornton - Washington Wizards

The selection meets mixed reactions, with the experts expressing doubt that he'll be an impact player in the league, but that he could turn out a solid player. They can say what they want, but his ticket's punched to start from Day One for us.

6. SF Thaddeus Young - Minnesota Timberwolves
7. SG Rodney Stuckey - Boston Celtics
8. PF Yi Jianlian - Houston Rockets
9. PF Brandan Wright - Golden State Warriors
10. PF Al Horford - Seattle Supersonics
11. SF Corey Brewer - Orlando Magic
12. SG Brad Newley - New Orleans Hornets
13. PF Joakim Noah - Philadelphia 76ers
14. C Sean Williams - Utah Jazz

Quite a tumble Williams took.

15. PG Mike Conley - Milwaukee Bucks

It takes 15 picks before we finally get to our first PG in the draft. A little surprising, as I thought Conley would go earlier. I suspect we'll see a run on PGs over the next several picks.

16. PG Acie Law - Chicago Bulls
17. SG Sammy Meija - Indiana Pacers

Not finding anyone I like at the #18 spot and having already drafted a player in the first, I execute a trade.

C Chris Kaman

Los Angeles Clippers receive
Washington Wizards 2007 1st round pick (#18 overall)
PF Etan Thomas
PF Dairius Songalia

Kaman's a young monster at 25 years old, 7', 268 lbs. Has the potential to develop into a rebounding force with some pretty good scoring, defense and shotblocking. However, his contract is also a monster and he's as undisciplined as a monster on the court.

What this means for the Clippers
Thomas is a 29 year old scrub with a bad 3 year contract. Songalia, 29, has never panned out as expected, particularly not on the rebounding end. His greatest benefit may be his $2.75 mil expiring contract and the best piece of this deal for the Red and White is the #18 pick in a shallow draft.

Winner: Washington
The Wizards desperately needed a true center, one that could bang inside and complement Joe Johnson and 5th overall pick Al Thornton. Despite his hefty contract and subpar discipline, Kaman fits the bill perfectly and is young enough that the money won't be too much of an albatross by the time his contract's done.

18. SF Julian Wright - Los Angeles Clippers
19. PF Jason Smith - Sacramento Kings
20. PG Javaris Crittenton - Denver Nuggets
21. PF Tiago Splitter - Los Angeles Lakers
22. SG Nick Young - Los Angeles Clippers
23. C Marc Gasol - Memphis Grizzlies

I suspect Pau Gasol had a lot to do with his brother getting drafted by his team. It'll be interesting watching the Gasol brothers play for the Grizzlies.

24. PF Josh McRoberts - New Jersey Nets
25. SF Glen Davis - Cleveland Cavaliers
26. SG Morris Almond - Miami Heat
27. SF Jared Dudley - Phoenix Suns
28. PF Avis Wyatt - Dallas Mavericks
29. C Stanko Barac - San Antonio Spurs
30. SG D.J. Strawberry - Detroit Pistons

Summer League
SG Donell Taylor
SF Al Thornton

We get shredded 101-78 by the Raptors to open Summer League play. Al Thornton scores 13 in his pro debut of sorts and Gerry McNamara, one of my mentor's favorite college players, scores 19. Mike Gansey leads the bench with 11 points.

But then Al Thornton takes over the next game, scoring 27 points on the way to our 111-101 victory over the Kings. Gerry McNamara is close behind with 25 points and Kyrylo Fesenko, who we brought in for a workout, doubles for 12 points and 13 rebounds. Mike Gansey again leads the reserves with 12 points.

Tough 79-77 loss to Utah, but Al Thornton scores 11 and Kyrylo Fesenko continues to build his case for a contract with 18 points and 16 rebounds. The 21 year old Ukranian is raw as all get-out, but I could see stashing him in the D-League for development.

87-68 loss to the Bucks despite Al Thornton's 22 points and Dee Brown's 12 bench points. I really want to start Thornton his rookie year, but he's currently being blocked by Caron Butler. Interest in Butler is high and I may take advantage of it now while it's up there.

We save the best for last, blowing out San Antonio 105-86 on Al Thornton's 28 points, Kyrylo Fesenko's 22 points and 12 rebounds and Mike Gansey's 14 bench points.

After the summer league's over, I sell high and deal off Caron Butler.

SF Hakim Warrick
Memphis Grizzlies 2008 1st round pick

Memphis Grizzlies receive
SF Caron Butler
SG Donell Taylor

Washington GM Izulde wanted to free up a starting spot for rookie Al Thornton and get some cap space. He not only gets that here, but he picks up Warrick, a 26 year old with good all-around bench skills and shutdown defender and good blocker potentials. The first rounder's difficult to project given the toughness of the West, but it probably translates to a mid 1st at best.

What this means for the Grizzlies
Taylor's a body, but Butler has good scoring ability, great hustle on defense and playmaking ability and is an underrated rebounder. He'll slot in as the starting SF and give Memphis a harrowing scoring 3 of Mike Miller, Butler and Pau Gasol and this could be the move that pushes the Grizzlies up into legitimate playoff dreams, even in the West.

Winner: Memphis
This probably takes the Grizzlies to the playoffs, making the first rounder worth a whole lot less and we aren't sure that Warrick will develop into the kind of defender he has the ability to. Nor is it even a guarantee that Al Thornton will beat him out for the starting SF spot. Izulde has a lot to learn from his old mentor still.

We're $2.3 million UNDER the cap. That's all I have to say about that. We may miss the playoffs this year like I told our owner we would, but at least we'll be near the cap if I have anything to say about it.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Autumn
Head Coach

Glad to see you're starting something at least while you wait on your others. It will be interesting to see how the Jestor Principles take root in DC.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. Trading for Joe Johnson and Emeka Okafor?

That sounds familiar.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Autumn: Yeah I have -no- idea how successfully the house rules are going to work, especially since Izulde's still a newbie GM and acts a little too hastily.

Coffee Warlord: Oops. It wasn't intentional; it's just that Charlotte had the most cap space for the first deal and for the second one, I needed a 6'7 or 6'8 SG with at least 75 scoring to kill two birds with a stone and Johnson was it. Plus, gotta love those Hog alums.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

Heh... how did it make you feel when you saw where Law and Noah went in this draft?

I thought, for sure, you would somehow end up with Noah in the draft. I guess it isn't too late yet...
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Johnny93g
College Starter

I just want to make one suggestion that drove me crazy reading the last bball dynasty.

You need to make a house rule not to trade or trade for anyone who has just signed for you or another team. There needs to be a 5 or 6 month limit, something like that. I dont know the actual time period in the NBA, but it drove me crazy that you would sign someone and trade them right away!!! I'm thinking why would another player sign with this team if they get traded as soon as they arrive in town. There, thats it, i got it off my chest!!!

How close does Al Thornton resemble the real one, because i have heard him described as the most selfish player in the NBA, and that doesnt seem like a Jestor type player?
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I just want to make one suggestion that drove me crazy reading the last bball dynasty.

You need to make a house rule not to trade or trade for anyone who has just signed for you or another team. There needs to be a 5 or 6 month limit, something like that. I dont know the actual time period in the NBA, but it drove me crazy that you would sign someone and trade them right away!!! I'm thinking why would another player sign with this team if they get traded as soon as they arrive in town. There, thats it, i got it off my chest!!!

How close does Al Thornton resemble the real one, because i have heard him described as the most selfish player in the NBA, and that doesnt seem like a Jestor type player?

Pretty sure the game doesn't allow for trades to take place immediately. The rules mirror the NBA rules quite well.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Michaelangelo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
Pretty sure the game doesn't allow for trades to take place immediately. The rules mirror the NBA rules quite well.

You can disable the rules through the commissioner.
Michaelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Swaggs: More amusement than anything else. Although I was hoping Conley would fall to me.

Johnny93g: I see what you're saying, but I don't flip them right away.. It just turns out that the FA period is in summer and the season starts in fall, covering the time period. But I'll think about a house rule around that.

As for Thornton, nothing that suggests selfishness, though his popularity rating is 30ish, which somewhat reflects that (i.e. - unpopular players get trash talked about them).

law90026: I think it's more the idea that I sign a player in free agency, then trade him after training camp or a few games in that drove Johnny crazy.

Michaelangelo: Indeed. I usually play with 60 day no-trade rule in place. Creates more movement and excitement that way than the 90 day, without running the risk of being ridiculous, like a 30 or 0 day would be.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm going to start a different dynasty with the same concept, because I've grown to really, really dislike the Wizards.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm going to start a different dynasty with the same concept, because I've grown to really, really dislike the Wizards.

Whaaa?!?

But I'm invested! What will we do? Think of the children!!!

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
Autumn
Head Coach

Goodness, I can't keep up. You're going to fill up my subscriptions folder.

I want to see your next dynasty, where you make yourself break Jestor's Principles and play a completely differnet team. mwa ha ha
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

Crim: This is better for the children, for everyone!

Autumn: ...I shudder to think what that team would look like.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Michaelangelo
n00b

Why the hate for the Wizards?
Michaelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Autumn: ...I shudder to think what that team would look like.

An army of undersized guards and finesse perimeter shooting big men!

DO IT!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

Michaelangelo: It's an MP thing.

Coffee Warlord: If you want to start an anti-Jestor dynasty, go for it. I'd go psychotic seeing that kind of team.