Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #51
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Now pinch hitting, for Blade,....

Sorry about that...I just started a new job today, and things have been hectic...I don't want to hold things up, but I have been overloaded with work already, and it doesn't look to clear up until later in the week.

Coug, what would work better for you? I would like to be a part of this, but would it be better if I was only a bit player?

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:18 AM   #52
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Hey Blade. I think it's probably best to pinch-hit for you as a primary character (paging Vince), and work you in later as a secondary character.

Good luck with the new job!
Old 06-22-2004, 07:00 AM   #53
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good luck, Blade!
Old 06-22-2004, 07:39 AM   #54
Blade
College Prospect

Thanks guys!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #55
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Good luck with your new job, Blade.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:45 AM   #56
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Nodding a bit impatiently, Lady Del Var glanced from Jadrich to the ground and back again as the Scallite spoke.

“Yes, yes, of course. I was coming to the matter of supplies and recompense. First, I will be equipping the expedition within the capabilities of this keep’s armory, stable, storeroom, and kitchen. Fret not, you will have your pick of the standard weaponry, the horses and pack animals you requested, and what basic food and supplies you will need. I expect the animals returned, though you may keep the rest.”

She then reached into a small black velvet pouch at her waist, and drew out a handful of sizable gems. The colors varied – orange, red, green, and black at first appearance – but they were all polished and finely cut. She rolled them in her hand like dice, watching them intently, and then looked up to gaze about the room.

“As for your rewards…that will depend upon the success of the venture, gentlemen. Return empty-handed and I will send you on your respective ways with a small purse of coins, enough that your time is well-spent but not so satisfying as to encourage sloth and poor effort. Return here laden with what I seek, and in addition I will present you with a selection of these fine jewels. Valuable, indeed, upon their own beauty and the avarice of men. Pawn them for gold if you wish, but I will undertake to enchant them for you within my powers, if you so choose.”

A moment’s pause to gauge the effect of her words, and then Lady Del Var turned to the Rhyllan warrior Dereth.

“Ah, so you’ve found a more well-mannered tongue, sir! Excellent. As to the mage, ancient lore tells of great mystical energy derived from candles crafted by his hand. Powers enhanced, magicks engendered, creatures imbued…but such have never been found, to my knowledge. He was thought slain in the War of the North, if not in the religious strife that tore the Javadan Empire apart prior to that. Were this wizard to still exist…”

Her voice trailed off as she pondered this possibility, and then she focused again on the questions before her. “Our old friends the Prytians are rival claimants to this prospective treasure. They have a zealous passion for this variety of artifact which goes beyond my own mere sense of acquisition. Were you to encounter them, I would expect nothing less than a murderous response. I will leave it to your own imagination what self-preserving actions might be necessary.”

At that she smiled sweetly.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #57
Raven Hawk
College Starter

As the Lady produced the colorful gems, it was hard not to notice Jadrich's head following them about as her hand moved that contained the gems. He almost appeared as a house cat stalking a bird which was beyond his reach. As he tried to gauge the value of the gems, he was partially def to the Lady's words regarding the Wizard. Yet he tuned back in when she mentioned the Javadan Empire. His people had a history with the Javadan's. Now he wished that he had paid more attention during his schooling when the marm was talking about the Javadan Empire and their relations with the Scallites.

As for the contract, Jadrich felt comfortable with how the Lady would outfit them for their journey, but as always was wary about actual values and solid numbers. Jadrich was obviously more concerned with the values of the gems than the thought of running into a Prytian artifact expedition. Were the gems in fact worth him risking his life? What kind of enchantments could she put on them?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #58
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Coug, are we getting a replacement for Blade? I noticed that you paged Vince, but I thought that Blade was pinch hitting for Vince. I'm so confused! Somebody get us a mage! Jadrich's parlor tricks won't cut the mustard, so to speak.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:24 AM   #59
Vince
Pro Starter

Worry not, good bard...the pinch hitter is approaching the plate I should be fully immersed tomorrow morning at the latest.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:35 AM   #60
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Cool! Welcome aboard, Vince!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #61
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Upon seeing the gems dance about in the Lady's hands, a slight smile crossed Brayden's face. "This certainly changes a lot" Brayden thought to himself. "My own ship and crew, are gently on the horizon" With this final thought fleeting through his mind, Brayden leans back in his chair, and speaks.

"Honestly gentlemen, I do not know what we are waiting for, let's get our gear, and move forward on this adventure, I am sure that the faster we finish this, the sooner I can get back to sea."
Old 06-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #62
Vince
Pro Starter

From the back of the room, the robed figure of the Cranstonian mage Xypheus finally stepped forward. The hood on his gray robe concealed some of his features, but his pallid skin and slender, deft hands betrayed his identity as an elf. Though the robes made it difficult to guage his size, it was easy to see there wasn't much to him, and his light step belied an innate quickness. Not carrying the stereotypical staff that most of his 'brethren' were with, he carried no apparent weapon--however the robes could conceal much under their folds. His silence up to this point spoke volumes about his character, and though he had not revealed much about his character, astute observers would have noticed an almost fiendish glow to his Amber eyes upon Lady Del Var's mention of enchanted items and candles. Though the final mention of enchanted jewels seemed to interest him less than most, his curiosity was indeed piqued.

"Fools...do not underestimate the power of Javadan magic. These candles are reputed to have tremendous power...rumors speak of such that burn everlasting, or those whose scent could sway nations. If one such as the Javadan Mage of the Ruins of Wootmerry were still alive...well, he would be a force to be reckoned with, for certain."

Xypheus, a mage whose history was shrouded in mystery [editor's note: ugh, sorry about that one ] ...not much was known about him. Still early in his career, and yet to have made a name for himself it was unlikely that any had heard of his studies or deeds.

"Indeed, fair lady, you will retain ALL magical items upon our return? Surely not everything will be of interest to you...and it should be obvious that mere mundane treasure is not of utmost importance to me."
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 06-23-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #63
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Lady Del Var began to chuckle, and it sounded as if she was genuinely amused. Aware of Jadrich’s focused attention – the gems appeared to be of great worth - she clutched the jewels tightly in her fist and held them out toward the dour elf.

“What? A Cranstonian elf-mage not interested in such treasures as these?” she asked loudly, feigning outrage but with a broad smile aimed at the others. With a deliberate slow hand she placed the gems back in their pouch, then raised her eyes to Xypheus. “You needn’t worry, my friend. I selected you for this with good reason. We birds of a like feather will find fair adjudication of any magical relics. Trust me in that. But I must see them all first.”
Old 06-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #64
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"By the Gods of Scalla! Who said that?" Jadrich said as he flinched startled from the voice, breaking his concentration on the gems.

Jadrich paused and allowed the mage to speak. He was curious about this fellow. How could he stay so silent for so long. Silence was a concept that Jadrich was not entirely comfortable with himself, which made the elf even more mysterious to him.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-23-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #65
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod knew he had been chosen for this "quest" for more than one reason. He supplied fighting ability all right, but it would also be his job to make sure the party returned all the magical items as well. He cared not for the promised treasure, he would return here all the same.

What Reod wasn't sure of, was if the rest of the party knew of his allegiance to Lady Del Var. Certainly, Lady Del Var hadn't shown any favoritism the veteran warrior to this point. Perhaps there was a reason behind it.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:16 PM   #66
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Well, m'lady, it seems that we have struck an accord. As I understand it, and please do confirm me with for my accounting skills may not be the best around, our terms are as follows:

1) The Lady will outfit our company with supplies and horses at the start of our expedition. All is ours to keep save the animals, which will be returned to the property of the Lady at the conclusion of our expedition.

2) All non-magical loot acquired during the expedition will be owned entirely by the company.

3) All magical loot that is acquired during the expedition will be returned to the Lady upon the conclusion of the expedition. At this point, the Lady will select what items she desires; all items if she sees fit. Any items that she does not desire will return to the possesion of the company to be divided amongst the company in a way that we see proper.

4) An additional reward of cash, gems, or enchanted gems will be provided to the company at the conclusion of the expedition based on the company's performance. The Lady may elect not to reward the company if she is dissatisfied with what the company's endeavors yield to her. Conversely, she may grant an appropriate reward as she sees fit.

Do I have my understandings correct, m'lady?"

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-23-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:43 PM   #67
Vince
Pro Starter

"Oh ho, my lady," Xypheus laughed mirthlessly, "disinterest is definitely not my opinion on your gems, magical or otherwise. It is simply that mentioned in the same breath as the magical treasures of the ruins of Wootmerry that they lose some of their appeal." The crooked, nearly evil grin remained on the mage's face as he continued. "That you must see the items is fair enough; we ARE at your bidding, after all. Know that you have the services of Xypheus to the full extent of his abilities on your 'quest,' Necromancer." With a slight bow, not quite mocking, Xypheus turned his attention to some of his companions. "As for you, Bard, I will be content to let you do the talking...you seem to enjoy the sound of your own voice enough."

Last edited by Vince : 06-23-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #68
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Bard? Please. . . Barkeep will suffice, magician." Jadrich said with a sly wink.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-23-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #69
Vince
Pro Starter

"Fair enough, Barkeep," he replied, with a hint (just a hint, mind you) of true mirth seeping into his smile.

Last edited by Vince : 06-23-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:44 PM   #70
Vince
Pro Starter

Abandoning his ealier pretense of silence, Xypheus began showing his inquisitive nature.

"You there, swordsman," quoth Xypheus, indicating the Lady's swordsman who had spoken up earlier. "You speak as if from experience...what brought you to Wootmerry, and do you have anything more than vague mention of haunts and spooks to tell us? If we are to be leaving soon, and I daresay it has been long enough dawdling here, we should know all that we can before our departure."

Last edited by Vince : 06-23-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:05 AM   #71
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Interesting that Jadrich has so readily stepped to the fore, thought Lady Del Var, as she listened to his interpretation of the arrangement. It will be worth noting whether that holds true throughout the expedition.

She smiled warmly when he finally concluded. “Such a merchant you are, Jadrich! Indeed, you are mostly correct. I would clarify only that perhaps Xypheus merits first refusal over the magical relics which I do not retain, at the expense of a share in the other coin and treasure. And you can rest assured that I will pay you all in some minimal capacity for your efforts, as long as you do not flee or otherwise demonstrate cowardly or treacherous behavior.”

As Xypheus and Jadrich exchanged remarks, Lady Del Var silently observed the Rhyllans, who seemed strangely reticent. These thoughts scattered, however, with the elf’s question to her man-at-arms concerning Wootmerry. The swordsman, a scarred and scruffy veteran of many years’ service, turned a questioning eye to her, and she nodded her consent for him to answer.

“Once, we pursued raiders from the hills deep into their lands. We had an easy track to follow, and we rode hard after them all day with little care for the surroundings. But soon enough we realized…‘round here you grow up and live with stories of Wootmerry, but ‘tis rare when someone has actually been. Well, the land looked normal enough. But the senses began to lie, if you follow my meaning. We sees things that make no sense, and hears things…”

The fighter paused to lick his lips. “…hears things you’ve never heard before. Animal sounds, maybe. Screaming that starts up, then’s gone. Apparitions acting out things, like players on a stage. Flashes of light.”

He swallowed, clearly uncomfortable with the recollection. “Trust nothing, but be aware of everything. That’s what I tell you.”
Old 06-24-2004, 11:41 AM   #72
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Excellent! Then we do agree!" Jadrich exclaims looking around at his fellows, "If that is acceptable to all here of course, aye?" Jadrich paused only momentarily to look for indications of objection before he moved on.

"As for how we divide our spoils, we will go ahead and determine the equity in that. We can discuss that on the road as we make our way to Wootmerry. I'm sure that if certain parties would like to exchange their stake in gold for items, we can accomodate that. And although, I desire to not make waste of time, I do wonder if you might answer me one question, m'lady."

Jadrich paused a moment for the drama.

"These rival claimants that you had mentioned from Prytia . . . " Jadrich amazed himself that he had heard any of this portion over the visual noise of the sparkling gems, ". . . have you any knowledge of who Prytia sends to lay their claim to the artifact? Since you did mention, that you knew that there would be rivals, I wonder if there might be a way that you could divine the names of our comptetitors if you do not already know them. Also, any special talents that they might possess would be helpful as well."
Old 06-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #73
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
"Excellent! Then we do agree!" Jadrich exclaims looking around at his fellows, "If that is acceptable to all here of course, aye?" Jadrich paused only momentarily to look for indications of objection before he moved on. "

Reod nodded his approval as Jadrich turned his way.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #74
Vince
Pro Starter

"Good Lady, how you read my mind," grinned Xypheus, for the first time in true amusement. "First right of refusal is a generous gesture that will not go unnoticed." Xypheus then altered his tack and addressed the motley group of adventurers, bound towards the same fate for at least a short time. "Barkeep, while my thirst for knowledge and information knows no bounds, I am certain that men of our ability have nothing to fear from a mere rival group of adventurers. Wouldn't you agree, Rhyllans? And surely an Azaran pirate fears no land-walker?" These last questions were delivered in an almost challenging fashion...it was becoming clear that Xypheus was anxious to get on the road.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:12 PM   #75
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"A wise man once said, 'You don't have to fear something for it to be able to kill you.'" Jadrich said with a smile. "There is no doubt that the overall prowess of all here, myself excluded, is well more than enough to take care of a ragtag bunch of Prytians . . ."

Jadrich once again paused for the drama he so delightfully craved.

"Have you ever heard of a Yemixian Tree Frog? Most Westerners have not. This frog looks like a miniature version of your standard western frog with a slightly brighter color pattern. It looks tiny and it looks harmless . . . but don't you go picking it up. The slightest contact against exposed skin will send the handler to the undertaker. Let's not let our pride get us killed."

"Although I, too, wish to be moving on, Mage. We should take the opportunity to learn what we can about what may be the snake to our mongoose."

And with a chuckle he continued. "And at some point a proper introduction should be made, lest we call each other by our respective professions for the duration of the trip."

With a smile and a wink to Xypheus, Jadrich turned back to the Lady to hear her response.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-24-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:26 PM   #76
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion himself was getting restless to start off as well, news of the rival pyritan group caused some thought.

"I second that opinion, We should be taking any rival group lightly, no matter what advantage we think we have. I have seen many times before the price of overconfidence, let us be wearyful:
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:26 AM   #77
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Fellas, I'm leaving today for Milwaukee (colors detail or flags detail) for the NASCAR races. I'll likely be back sometime Sunday afternoon/night.

AE
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:02 AM   #78
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Im leaving today as well for Idaho Falls, Semi Finals for my football team, be back late Sunday
Old 06-25-2004, 12:44 PM   #79
Vince
Pro Starter

Cool. I just received word that instead of moving into my new apartment today, I have to wait until next Wednesday. And since I'm already sharing a studio with 6 other people right now because we're all homeless...that's just friggin fantastic.

EDIT - Which means that a little break doesn't bother me so much.

Last edited by Vince : 06-25-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:14 PM   #80
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Not a problem here, either. I'll be around most of the weekend, but I can chill.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #81
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

For the first time in the interview, Lady Del Var seemed a bit uncertain of her answer. She hesitated to reply, and looked down to study the myriad rings on her fingers as she did so. Finally, she replied to Jadrich.

“In truth, I do not know the mettle of what rivals you might encounter. I do know, however, that the Prytian lord who is involved in this matter is an uncompromising man of fervent beliefs. I strongly doubt he will take this matter lightly…be on your guard.”

With that, the lady moved as of to depart the room. “Gentlemen, the hour of your departure creeps ever closer, and there is much preparation to undertake. My subordinates will tend to your needs in the areas we discussed; gather your packs, and you will find them and the necessary animals awaiting you in the stable in the morning. If you have any final questions, I will answer them then. Sleep well.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Prepare a list of desired weapons, equipment, and sundries, and PM it to me. The hall you are in has numerous cots along the side walls, which his where you will sleep. You may interact with each other (and Lady Del Var’s subordinates) if you wish; otherwise, state that your character is asleep and we will proceed to the next morning. You may wish to discuss equipment needs among yourselves, but that is up to you!

Last edited by WSUCougar : 06-26-2004 at 04:35 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #82
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"And that Prytian lord's name would be . . . " Jadrich smiled trying to draw the information from the Lady. Although he hoped that it wouldn't come to that, he figured that it might be nice to know where the loot was going if perchance they did not get to the items first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening . . .

"I have submitted my list to the Lady and have included 4 weeks worth of rations for all, horse feed enough to stay us through half a week of not stabling our horses, and 10g per person for miscellaneous expenses such as food and lodging. I, by no means, am guaranteeing that the Lady will give us the money up front, but I thought I would ask anyways. If any of this seems insufficient, please let me know and I will request more."

Jadrich looked specifically at Nightion for feedback on the amounts that he requested. Who would know better how to travel than a ranger?

"In addition gentlemen, I would suggest that you each request a bedroll and your own waterskins. A tent, perhaps if you fear the rain. Most likely we'll be spending some nights on our backs in the wilderness. I have also requested rope, but do not let that hinder your own requests. You can never have too much rope. A couple of flint and tinders may be needed. It's always good to have backups. Your personal armories, I leave to you."

Jadrich briefly looked around the room.

"Anything that I might have forgotten?"
Old 06-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #83
JeffNights
College Prospect

"It would be prudent of us to bring medicine and dressings...it would be folly to think that all of us will come through this expedition unscathed...as for myself, i require as many top quality arrows as my quarrel can carry, and three spools of long rope...and we should get cutting axes as well..a warm fire does me at least."
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #84
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Good point, fair Ranger," Jadrich said, welcoming the input, "woodcutting axes and medicines and dressings will also be needed."

Jadrich was about to go on until an epiphany hit him.

"Good gentlemen, do we have anybody in our party here who is versed in medicine and the healing arts? I have been know to dabble a bit, but I am far from expert. My usual patients require scarcely more than a wiff of smelling salts and a boot in the arse."
Old 06-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #85
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"I know little about medicines and less about healing arts", replied Reod, "I used to rely on others skilled in that realm after the battle was over".
Old 06-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #86
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Gentlemen . . . an old Rhyllan song I think you'll enjoy . . ."

Jadrich hummed out the melody, then began to sing . . .

"As I was walking all alane,
I heard twa corbies making a mane;
The tane unto the t'other say,
'Where shall we gang and dine to-day,
Where shall we gang and dine to-day?'

'In behint yon auld fail dyke,
I wot there lies a new slain knight;
And naebody kens that he lies there,
But his hawk, his hound, and lady fair,
His hawk, his hound, and lady fair.

'His hound is to the hunting gane,
His hawk to fetch the wild-fowl hame,
His lady 'a ta'en another mate,
So we may make our dinner sweet,
We may make our dinner sweet.

'Ye'll sit on his white hause-bane,
And I'll pike out his bonny blue een;
Wi ae lock o his golden hair
We'll theek our nest when it grows bare,
We'll theek our nest when it grows bare.'

'Mony a one for him makes mane,
But nane shall ken where he is gane;
Oer his white banes, when they are bare,
The wind sail blow for evennair,
The wind sail blow for evennair.'

Jadrich hummed out another verse of the melody, then stopped and smiled.

"Tomorrow, Gentlemen, we head off on a quest of uncertainty. It is obvious that we will face many perils on our way. But to overcome those perils, those obstacles, will lead us to great things. We know that the forests of Wootmerry hold hideous things. We know that the Prytians will be after our prize. Yet we will succeed, gentleman. It is our fate. Let us drink to our coming fortune."

He poured out some more wine filling everybodies glasses full.

"'A toast!" Jadrich said raising his glass, "Tis good fortune that brought us together, Gentlemen. And like the twa corbies, may we feast on the misfortune of our foes."

Jadrich raises his glass and drinks down all that the cup holds.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:19 PM   #87
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod lifted the cup, paused for a moment to think about what may lie ahead, "Here, here!"
Old 06-30-2004, 04:28 PM   #88
Blade6119
Coordinator

"To the best of fortunes and success to our little band of adventurers! May we bring honor to the Lady and our houses!" Dereth had some good thoughts of where this gathering might be going, so he decided to finish his business with the lady then bow out for some rest. "My fair lady, i would require a new set of armor, and if possible, i would request the honor of a personalized Cranstonian sword with which to do your bidding. I would hope a request with this would come across as quite necessary, but also something that you can understand a warrior feels quite important to his cause. I require no cot or blanket, as im quite accustomed to sleeping on the ground. All i require is that you provide me with that which i need to fight." With that, Dereth turned his attention to the song being sung beautifully by Jadrich, and raised his glass i anticipation of what lie ahead. "May we fight well, die old, and love long!"
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 07-01-2004 at 07:47 AM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:06 AM   #89
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
"To the best of fortunes and success to our little band of adventurers! May we bring honor to the Lady and our houses!" Dereth had some good thoughts of where this gathering might be going, so he decided to finish his business with the lady then bow out for some rest. "My fair lady, i would require a new set of armor, and if possible, i would request the honor of a personalized Cranstonian sword with which to do your bidding. I would hope a request with this would come across as quite necessary, but also something that you can understand a warrior feels quite important to his cause. I require no cot or blanket, as im quite accustomed to sleeping on the ground. All i require is that you provide me with that which i need to fight." With that, Dereth turned his attention to the song being sung beautifully by Jadrich, and raised his gall is anticipation of what lie ahead. "May we fight well, die old, and love long!"

?

Shift in character?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:47 AM   #90
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
?

Shift in character?

Not really...i got scolded by WSU for being too rude and mean, so i have to be nice at times now...my character is will be back to his old self in no-time. Lets just say he was sick when he said that
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #91
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Not really...i got scolded by WSU for being too rude and mean, so i have to be nice at times now...my character is will be back to his old self in no-time. Lets just say he was sick when he said that

Good. Grumpy and uncouth seem to fit Dereth a little better.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #92
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Just to add a bit of clarification, Dereth's rudeness was a fast track for a drastic career change (i.e., subject for Lady Del Var's next undead spell test). I asked blade6119 to scale it back because it was inappropriate for the setting. Grumpy and uncouth is one thing; fatally rude is another.

FYI, I think we'll continue with the in-character banter through the holiday weekend, then hit the expedition trail early next week.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #93
Raven Hawk
College Starter

No doubt, Coug. I understand the difference. The problem with being fatally rude is:

It's fatal.

Sounds like a good plan for the weekend. I'll be gone for a little, so hitting the trail on Monday evening would work fine for me.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:45 PM   #94
Vince
Pro Starter

Sorry guys...been a hectic sort of week. I've been up since 9:30 AM yesterday morning, and I did nothing but move in yesterday. Last night, I was writing a paper on Livy and the Early History of Rome...it was exciting times, let me tell you

The light at the end of the tunnel? While I've been at class all day today, the cable internet has *supposedly* (knock on wood) connected, and my roommates were *supposed* to clean up the front room. On top of that, the paper I was supposed to turn in tomorrow has been postponed until next Tuesday, so I'm a happy camper now
Old 07-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #95
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich started packing his gear getting ready for an early start the next morning. Despite his unshaven appearance, Jadrich seemed to be a tidy person. He was organized, at least.

"Rope? Check. Flint? Check." Jadrich read down a list and checked it against all of his items. The list seemed to be fairly close to what he had laid out on the bed before him. There was one item missing, that by the shifting in his eyes, you could tell that Jadrich was uncomfortable without. A nervous hand felt down to the empty sheath tucked into his belt.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

The room's attention turned to the door. It was one of the Lady's men-at-arms with a cart in tow. On the cart were a bunch of weapons.

"The Lady said that I might return them to you, so you might ready them for your trip," the man-at-arms said before turning and walking out of the room again.

Jadrich nearly sprang for the cart and found what his sheath had been missing: his kukri. This odd shaped dagger bent forward from the handle and a blade that widened toward its tip. One could imagine that it was just as useful to use it in a chopping motion as well as a slicing motion. The weapon appeared to be a miniature version of a weapon that was favored by Scallite horsemen used to hamstring horses in battle. Though not overly ornate, the kukri did have inlaid ivory work on its mahogany handle.

Jadrich picked up the kukri and mumbled a few words of what appeared to be Scallite prayer. Then unexpectedly, Jadrich slid his sleeve up his arm and cut the top of his left forearm with the blade allowing some blood to exit the tiny wound. From the scarring near the cut, it appears that this was not the first time this action had been performed. He then wiped the blade clean on the thigh of his pants and sheathed the odd dagger.

Next, Jadrich turned his attention to a handful of throwing knives that were on the cart as well. Jadrich picked up the seven knives and began sheathing them in different places about his body. By the grin on his face, you would be certain that the Lady's guards did not find all of the blades that he had on him. Before sheathing the last three, he began juggling them for a bit. After a brief show of juggling, Jadrich began to sheath the final three knives, picking them from the air sliding them into an appropriate sheath amidst the juggling.

"Well, Gentlemen. I feel much better now," he said with his trademark grin.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 07-02-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:59 PM   #96
Vince
Pro Starter

"I'm afraid I know more about causing injury than healing injury. I would be of little use in matters of injury and healing," said Xypheus. "As for my own equipment, I always keep a flint & steel and whetstone nearby...and as I fancy myself to be handy with a rod & line, I have requested a few fishhooks in case we happen to find a pond or two along the way. As I am eager to get started, I will now take my leave, and rest up for the journey ahead." And with that, Xypheus laid down on the nearest cot and went to sleep.

About gear...I requested some stuff for me, but it seems like we have a good variety of goods between all of us now. Between Jadrich and Nightion, we have tons of rope, and maybe I can fish us a little dinner here and there (note - I'm not extra proficient in fishing, as far as I know...just a hobby I'm trying to roleplay my character into). Can anyone else think of anything we might be missing that we could really use?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:57 AM   #97
Raven Hawk
College Starter

The only thing that I can think of is a spyglass. I know that they are quite expensive, so Jadrich is working on getting one on loan from the Lady. It would be quite useful. Other than that, perhaps a shovel? You never know when you are going to need one of those.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:33 AM   #98
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Guys,

I was all prepared to roll on this last night, but St. Louis just got hammered for hours by thunderstorms, and our power got zotted three times. Hopefully I can get to it tonight.

Please be ready to go tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience.

Coug
Old 07-06-2004, 03:07 PM   #99
Blade6119
Coordinator

Im ready when you are WSU
Demotivation
Old 07-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #100
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Alone in her chambers and well beyond the chatter of the adventurers, Lady Del Var reflected upon the matters at hand.

She would accede to most of their requests. Certainly some were simple enough…banded armor and longsword for the hot-headed Rhyllan, as well as a shield in the pattern of her own noble house, no less: a wheeling flight of ravens against a full, bright yellow moon. The various traveling supplies had already been gathered.

As for Jadrich’s particular needs…well, she would not advance as much gold as the avaricious barkeep had sought, but perhaps a small amount would be in order. A mixed bag of coins, perhaps 10g in value should suffice. The savages of Wootmerry do not peddle their wares for gold.

But the spyglass was a perfect embellishment to the assortment of equipment. She had just the thing in mind. She smiled in spite of herself.

She felt confident that the party would make progress in this affair. Reod Dai, she knew, would fight to the gates of hell if need be, and would not allow things to go awry. The other two Rhyllans would follow his lead, she thought. The Azaran was his own man, but greed would carry him along. Xypheus was a Cranstonian elf-mage, and thus would surely know the penalty for any betrayal on his part. And Jadrich – whatever his innermost motivation might be – she trusted perhaps more than any of them.

She slept deeply, content that all essential preparations had been made.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Eventually the banter died out, and silence ruled the hall as the six men succumbed to sleep soon enough. Dreams or nightmares, it mattered not, for their sleep was sound. Yet the stirrings of morning came all too quickly.

“Arise, gentlemen, arise!” came the shrill call of the cook, a rather ugly woman of middle age wielding a large ladle like a sword. For good measure she banged the ladle across one of the great wooden columns in the room. “Breakfast is served! Wake up and eat!”

A great, steaming mound of flapjacks sat upon the long table, flanked by bowls of hashed beef and with a host of accouterments nearby.