Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #201
Poli
FOFC Survivor

WSU, is the rest of the group close enough to talk to at this point, or would I have to shout to reach their ears?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #202
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

You'd need to shout to Kallash (who's closest).
Old 07-27-2004, 11:38 PM   #203
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod looked over his left shoulder towards Kallash. "Blast it. They're too far back to provide help", he thought.

"What do you think, Nightion? I'm for backtracking and bringing our entire group this way, but we can head on. Your choice."
Old 07-28-2004, 12:38 AM   #204
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Interesting . . ." Jadrich commented looking at the wrapped item that Dereth had pulled from the saddlebags. "Dereth, that piece in your hand looks to be of Scallite origins, at least the wrappings are. The glass merchants of my people have a peculiar way of wrapping their wares so that they're more resistant to breakage over long travels. This piece is wrapped in such manner. Do you mind if I have a look, Dereth?"

Jadrich extended his hand as if to receive the item from Dereth.

If Dereth lets Jadrich take a look, Jadrich will use his appraisal skill to try and determine what it is, it's worth and any other details he can determine.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:04 AM   #205
Blade6119
Coordinator

"It is most interesting by feel, but i am but a man of the wilderness...items such as this are not my specialty. If you would do me a favor, maybe sometime down the road i can repay you with helping you with something you might need." With that, Dereth handed the item to Jadrich, and pretended to look around the countryside like he wasnt excited about this item. "If this item in Scallite to be sure, what would a rider have use of it for if he was either coming or going to wootmerry from Cranstone. Better yet, whens the last time a Scallan was in Cranstone. Kallash, were there any other expeditions orgainized by the fair lady?"
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:37 AM   #206
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Kallash’s attention was directed more toward Reod and Nightion and the possible source of the attack on the horse and its rider, but he heard Dereth’s question and offered a quick reply.

“No, Lady Del Var made no mention of any other expedition or individuals working for her pay. This is a common route for adventurers heading into Wootmerry, however, so I’m not surprised to see a solitary rider here. Normally the hill people pick them off, though.”

With a nod to Dereth, Jadrich took the cloth-wrapped item in hand, and by touch alone he recognized the feel of a heavy glass vessel of some kind. He reached in and withdrew the item from its cover, and sure enough it was an ornamental chalice made of thick glass. Such a thing in itself was quite fine to Jadrich’s eye…he recognized it as something commonly carried by wealthy merchants or in the baggage of traveling nobles, and often used in ceremonies or for formal toasts. His eyes were quickly drawn to the markings etched into the side of the glass, three letters in a foreign alphabet.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:55 AM   #207
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich studied the chalice from various different angles. He was stuck for a moment studying the markings on one side. He then proceeded to speak.

"This is indeed a piece of Scallan craftmanship . . ." Jadrich said drifting into further study of the vessel, "Yet a Scallite rider did not carry this item. These markings here," Jadrich pointed to the characters etched into the glass, "are made in the language of the An-Ra, or as they affectionately call themselves The Ra. Although I recognize the origin of the characters, unfortunately I do not read An-Ra and do not understand their meaning. What I do know is that this item probably belonged to a nobleman or a wealthy merchant. Seeing as there is no evidence of a merchants cart here, I'd place my wager that this chalice belonged to a nobleman."

Jadrich drifted into a faded memory for a moment,"As for The Ra, my people have no distinct love for them, but we maintain trade relationships with them. As legend has it, The Ra were the sect of the Javadan Empire that instigated its civil war which in turn led to the empire's demise. The Ra are direct decendents of a nation in the Javadan empire, and because of their part in its downfall, they are hated by all of the other child nations of the former Empire."

Jadrich looked up to Xypheus, "Anybody here happen to read An-Ra?"

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 07-28-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #208
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nighiton answered Reod by simply, pulling his bow up and "loading an arrow at half pull, he pointed to the ground got into a half crouch, and nodded at Reod.

"Lets give each other a wide berth between us, and go over that crest at two different points, i feel the answer lies beyond that hill."

Nightion looked back toward the others, making hand signals trying to indicate what they were going to do...frustrated, he hoped they could follow.

"Time is important, and we can fend for ourselves, lets go"

With that, the Ranger crept forward, his demeanor changing, he was ready for action as he started towards the rise.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:13 PM   #209
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"Let's do it, then. You take the left, I'll take the right", replied Reod.

With that, Reod began to crouch as he approached the crest. He made sure to hold "Hellantic" low and with his right hand. He wanted to be prepared for anything that may be lurking on the other side.

I assume, JN, that's what you meant by..."Lets give each other a wide berth between us, and go over that crest at two different points, i feel the answer lies beyond that hill."

If not, stop me before we take action.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #210
Vince
Pro Starter

"I'm afraid reading An-Ra is not one of my specialties."
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:18 PM   #211
JeffNights
College Prospect

Thats EXACTLY what i meant.. nice job : )
Old 07-28-2004, 08:12 PM   #212
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich smiled and said, "Hmmm . . . then for all our sakes I hope that it isn't a curse of some sort . . ."
Old 07-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #213
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Spreading out a bit before advancing, the Rhyllan warrior and ranger began a cautious advance up the slight rise. The ground was dry, and when the footing gave way, the wind swirled miniature dust-clouds underfoot. Small, prickly bushes were scattered about the area, and it appeared from the blood trail that the terrified horse had plowed right over the top of one as it had crossed over the crest. The two men were each no farther than fifteen paces from that bush, and thus 25-30 paces apart.

Girded for action, both men’s attention was fully focused on what lay beyond the crest…and thus both stopped in their tracks at the distinctive sound of grunting that came to their ears from the other side. Quick, fierce huffs and grunts – as if some kind of creature were exerting itself in a continual manner, perhaps pulling something.

A gust of wind kicked up another swirl of dust, and the grunting abruptly ceased.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #214
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion instantly stopped at the sound of grutning and huffing...he tried to strain his ears to hear more, he held his fist up to Reod, signalling for a stop..... The first thought that occured was that whatever beast had killed the horse, it now had its rider and was maybe trying to take it to its den, or someplace to enjoy its meal......The man must be in bad shape, for to make no effort to get away to the beast meant that indeed. there was little time to waste...

Nightion pulled his arrow back to full draw, looked at Reod with an intense stare, and fiecrefully nodded toward the crest, he assumed the vetran warrior would get his drift....with that, He turned, braced and then charged the top of the hill.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #215
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hearing the horrible noise from the other side had stopped Reod, who now gazed towards Nightion. When Nightion returned the look and nodded in the direction of the noise, it was all he needed.

He charged his side of the hill, looking for action.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #216
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Silly Ryllans . . .
Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #217
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hating barkeeps.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #218
Raven Hawk
College Starter

{Serves up a bottle of Haterade to the Hater}
Old 07-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #219
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I want a keg, screw the bottle.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:46 PM   #220
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Exclamation

Leading the charge from the left side of the rise, Nightion was the first to top the crest. His eyes, tracing along the length of his longbow’s nocked arrow, fell upon a dirty grayish form not far below him. Low to the ground, large – at least as big as a thickset man - with elements of black and white in its coloring, the beast’s face was covered in blood and grime from what looked to be a human corpse bunched at its feet. Nightion recognized it immediately as a dire badger. It was at most 20 paces away, and was looking right at him.

On the right, Reod cleared the crest and quickly took in the scene: the mutilated remains of a man, an ample burrow in the ground, and the hulking form of a dire badger. Reod had encountered such a creature before, and knew that they were tough, aggressive fighters if they got in close. Even as the Rhyllan warrior was assessing this, the badger’s muscles tensed and then it sprang forward to begin its snarling advance upon the ranger…
Old 07-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #221
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Fortunately, for Reod, the dire badger didn't appear to notice him. Unfortunately, the dire badger was headed for Nightion. Reod began to sprint down the hill to try and cut off the dire badger, hoping that both he and Nightion could overcome the badger.

Reod wasn't sure if he would get there in time. He hoped Nightion would be able to fend for himself until help arrived. The thought processes of Reod quickly turned to what it would take to kill this dire badger, and nothing more.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:32 PM   #222
JeffNights
College Prospect

Nightion eyes went wide at the sight of the dire badger, a quite vicious beast, to be killed on sight, no more than predators. Dropping to one knee, the Ranger lined his longbow up with the center of the charging beasts chest, using all his skill with the bow...out of the corner of his eye, he thought he saw Reod charging in from the side, but he wouldnt get there in time...Nightion released his strike in a smooth motion, hoping it would at least mortally wound the beast, or stop its charge....

If the badgers charge is not stopped by the longbow, Nightion will TRY an use his jumping ability to get out of the way
Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 PM   #223
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Um....I apologize for my lack of posts. Been out of town and a little occupied as of late.

Let me catch up, and I will post tonight if it requires it.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:54 AM   #224
Blade6119
Coordinator

Is there any need for me to use my mastery of riding skills to come assist Nightion and Reod?
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:16 AM   #225
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Is there any need for me to use my mastery of riding skills to come assist Nightion and Reod?

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure you know what's going on. WSU would have probably mentioned that you caught my glance or Nightion's hand signal if we were successful.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #226
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

From a distance, it took Kallash a moment to see that the two Rhyllans were advancing aggressively up the rise. He had seen the ranger gesturing, but given the lay of the land it appeared this was only to indicate further separation from the group on their part. The old Cranstonian man-at-arms was unhappy with the way things were going – stringing out the party was unwise in his mind – but he merely bit his lip and kept silent, as he felt that he had spoken his mind and that it was not his place to nag any further.

After a glance back at the dead horse, he turned back to see the two men charge over the rise and then halt. Nightion had his bowstring drawn taut and ready to fire, and the warrior Reod Dai suddenly bolted ahead before disappearing beyond Kallash’s view. Something was about!

“Festering ASS!” he cursed, turning back to the others as he began to move ahead toward the distant rise. “Jadrich! The Rhyllans are attacking…but we must stay together! Come up in support, now. Hurry!”

He glanced over at Jupp. “Bring the horses up, lad. Slowly. Don’t panic ‘em. Be ready.”

With that he trotted toward the Rhyllans’ position, still quite aways ahead.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ardent and JeffNights, I’ll wait for the initial reactions of the others before we get to your “dire” circumstance. Heh.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:42 AM   #227
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Nice.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:12 PM   #228
Blade6119
Coordinator

Dereth heared this order from Jallash and instantly roared with excitement. He bolted to Jupp who had the horses, and with seemingly blistering pace was upon his horse...But for some reason, he hesitated. "Kallash, would you view it as prudent for me to ride ahead of the party to assist the other two, or do you feel it would be foolish? I do not want to sit idly by why my rhyllan borthers are under attack, but i also feel an obligation to protect Jadrich and the others. What would you suggest kallash?" Dereth was willing to go either way, and he was trying to heed the others words of wisdom by not charging alone blindly and leaving the party vulnerable.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 07-31-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #229
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We are so toast.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:27 PM   #230
Vince
Pro Starter

Xypheus sets out towards the rise at a quick, yet cautious pace.

I wouldn't hesitate to be the first one there if everyone else was lagging, but I'm not excited about being caught up front all by my lonesome. Not knowing what's over the rise, I'd be worried to have no physical support. So in other words...I'm heading towards the rise without waiting for everyone, though I'm hoping that everyone else is doing the same
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:43 PM   #231
Blade6119
Coordinator

Dereth saw Xypheus charge ahead and chuckled to himself. He was heartened by this, as he had never before known a mage to charge an enemy alone. This was a sight to behold, and after a moment of humor Dereth gave his horse a pat on the neck. This sign was all the horse needed, and just like that Dereth was charging full speed toward his Rhyllan brothers. Dereth began to fly ahead with speed it seemed no other horse could have matched. With that Dereth was flying towards the hill after his two brothers in arms and at whatever would endanger them.

WSU, id like to use all my mounted comabt feats if possible(can i use them however many times i need, or should i save them?)
Mounted combat (ride)*
>Ride-by attack*
>>Spirited charge*

And also my ride skill and my intimidate skill if it manages to stop the beast from charging Nightion.

Ill leave it up to you oh mighty gamemaster how it unfolds and what i can use(i dont know about limits or what not, but if none i would use them all to aid in this battle.)
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 07-31-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:06 PM   #232
Raven Hawk
College Starter

"Agreed! Let's not get strung out. Let's get over there! Jupp, bring the mules up, but keep an eye out over your back, if we're dealing with hill people, this could be just a feint," Jadrich said as he lithely jumped upon his horse. With a quick spur, the horse jumped forward toward the rise.

Jadrich took a moment to slide the chalice into a secure saddlebag on his horse as it was charging. After that he pulled up his crossbow and loaded it as the steed charged.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:09 PM   #233
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
And also my ride skill and my intimidate skill if it manages to stop the beast from charging Nightion.

Just remember that unless you have ESP, you don't know what's on the other side of the rise.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #234
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Brayden draws his rapier as he follows the others, not wanting to truly put himself at risk, if he doesn't have to.

As he crests the hill, that the Rhyllans went over, he hops of his horse, not able to fight well from horseback, and moves down towards the creature. Setting himself in position to attack the beast when it is most opportune.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #235
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Blasted Azarans.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:00 PM   #236
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jadrich sat back in his saddle a little as he drew in a deep breath. As he exhaled his tenor voice filled the air with a strong and proud song . . .

(Inspire Courage)

"Many grains of salt have passed,
Through the hour glass,
Since the Heroes of Scalla rode
To perform their task.

The massive hounds of Mordren bayed,
And the horses neighed,
As the Heroes of Scalla rode
Out upon their raid.

They brought their gods and their horses,
With them to the fight,
Tooth and steel and hoof and arrow
Rung out through the night,
The Heroes of Scalla stood 'lone
With the coming of the light . . . . "
Old 08-02-2004, 10:20 PM   #237
JeffNights
College Prospect

Sooo..now that we have all weighed in...

Cougar? : )
Old 08-02-2004, 10:44 PM   #238
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Exclamation

Despite its low-set profile, the charging badger was a huge target in Nightion’s sights, and he could hardly miss. The arrow flew its short course, and plunged deeply into the creature’s upper torso. It growled in pain and stumbled a bit under the shock, giving the ranger a moment’s instant to dive out of its path. In doing so he tumbled down the slight slope to the left, and the beast wheeled that direction to match this movement, screaming again in fury.

This gave Reod Dai the opportunity he needed to engage the animal from the flank. Racing in unchecked, it was a basic maneuver to strike the badger with his longsword. Alas, as he struck, the creature pivoted further to chase Nightion, and the blow was but a glancing one!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Far behind, Kallash trotted ahead at a quick, measured pace. Used to reloading his crossbow on the move, he had it cranked and ready by the time he reached the base of the rise. He could hear the sounds of a raging beast on the other side of the slope.

Jupp was aways back still, and the other Rhyllan – Dereth – had re-mounted and was getting his horse up to speed but still had some sizable distance to cross. The wizard Xypheus was coming along next, clearly in no hurry, followed by Jadrich and the Azaran. And could that be a song the Scallite was singing?!? Kallash could not help but smile.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #239
JeffNights
College Prospect

Yelling out, Nightion leaped to his left, and the tumbled a short way down the hill.....trying to regain his balance, he knew the beast was not far behind, Finally able to regain his footing he pulled his own sword from its scabbarb, though not longsword by any means, its curved blade was long and sharp enough to do the job, but to cut down the beast it would take many blows, and he feared he wouldnt have the time......It was obvious the Ranger had the badgers full attention as it came toward him again, well, at least it was mortal, its squeal when his arrow had struck assured that...maybe he coudl survive long enough for his Rhyllan Brother to come to his rescue, if he could merely survive...
Old 08-03-2004, 05:15 AM   #240
Poli
FOFC Survivor

"GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!", was the only thing Reod could say at the moment. He was so focused on the moment at hand he didn't realize the some of the party was at the top of the crest.

Is the badger still focused on Nightion?
Old 08-03-2004, 06:44 AM   #241
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Is the badger still focused on Nightion?
Yes, and that still gives you a flank attack.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #242
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Excellent!

The dire badger, despite taking a glancing blow from Reod, continued to chase Nightion. Reod, in turn, prepared for another strike on the badger, this time hoping for a critical hit that might make the badger a little more stationary. Reod was determined not to just strike a "glancing blow" this time.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #243
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Up close, the dire badger looked to be even more of a daunting foe, with the still-wet gore spattered on its face and massive claws. In his periphery Nightion could see Reod moving to strike the beast again, but the ranger’s attention was fully captured by the close proximity of the badger. His actions were purely defensive as he back-peddled and moved his weapon to fend off the deadly reach of the badger’s claws.

Reod was no fool, and took advantage of the brute’s fixation on Nightion by driving his longsword deeply into its muscular rear thigh. The primal roar that fell upon his ears was almost staggering, but the Rhyllan was uncertain if that had been his own battle cry or that of the wounded beast. Yet now – as he exerted to remove the imbedded sword-blade – the badger began to writhe about with the ferocious babble of a rabid dog. And with surprising quickness it wheeled about to retaliate.

Not far away, Kallash and now Dereth – the latter moving at speed upon horseback – crossed the rise and entered the battleground. The elder man promptly assessed the peril and brought his crossbow swiftly to bear, followed immediately by the mechanical clank of the bolt being released and the subsequent sound of its impact into the hide of the dire badger. Dereth plunged over the crest, sword in hand, and bore down upon the creature. A heartbeat more and he would be in striking range.

The remainder of the group continued their advance forward to the sound of Jadrich’s heroic song.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #244
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Reod now went on the defensive. He had his swings at the badger, and now was in need of help himself. Fortunately, the dire badger was wounded and about to be hit with a couple arrows, hopefully very quickly. It was obvious more help was on the way, but it wasn't obvious when it would arrive.

Reod had faced a dire badger before, and knew they were bad news. Reod had help that day, and needed help now. For the time being, though, Reod was left to stop those massive claws with the Hellantic. Reod wanted to avoid backing up the hill and losing his footing, but when a dire badger is on you, you sometimes don't have a choice.

Reod's thoughts were of survival, but in the back of his head he could hear a song.

Last edited by Poli : 08-04-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:24 PM   #245
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Is it just me, or does everybody else misread Reod's sword's name as HellAtlantic?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #246
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
Is it just me, or does everybody else misread Reod's sword's name as HellAtlantic?
...and then, suddenly, the light bulb went off over Jadrich's head.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #247
Vince
Pro Starter

Let me know when I get to the crest of the hill...I'm going to need to evaluate the situation once I get there.

EDIT - And would it be too much to prepare an instance of Magic Missile so it's ready to fire if necessary once I reach the crest of the hill? Seems like with all the screaming and stuff, that would be the prudent thing to do without knowing what's on the other end of the hill.

Last edited by Vince : 08-04-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:34 PM   #248
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
...and then, suddenly, the light bulb went off over Jadrich's head.

He's on top of his game...that's for sure.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:36 PM   #249
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
He's on top of his game...that's for sure.

I've got game? Well I guess you learn something new every day. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #250
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Guys?