Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

New Star Grand Prix: The rise of another British great...maybe

I intend on trying to win all 8 Cups in the Grand Prix mode of Mario Kart DS using Bowser. I bought this game but was a little hesitant in trying it in case it didn't live up to my expectations having spent many hours on the N64 version of the game.

Thankfully this brings the memories flooding back, and the enjoyment with it. The only problem is I am far from "brilliant" at the game, and only barely managed to unlock every Cup with Yoshi.

This is hopefully not going to take too long, but I am not used to using a "Heavy" driver before, so this should get interesting.

All scores for every race (all 32 of them) will be totalled up, with the winner taking out the MKDS Trophy. Anyone who has played a Mario Kart game will know that the CPU drivers don't always perform the same in every cup. Donkey Kong may be a challenger in one cup, but the next may see him struggle to pick up points and so forth. So the MKDS Trophy will almost certainly go to me as I tend to perform much the same in every race.

Settings:
Driver: Bowser
Speed:
150cc

Last edited by Nugget699 : 04-19-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

The Drivers:
Light:
  • Yoshi: Yoshi is everyone's favorite green dinosaur. In the past, Yoshi started as a mount for Mario, though now Yoshi has been given his own series. Yoshi is a light racer with great acceleration and handling.
  • Peach: The resident damsel in distress of the Mushroom Kingdom. Countless Mario games focus on Bowser kidnapping her and Mario rescuing her. She's a very light character with good acceleration.
  • Toad: Toad is an assistant to Princess Peach. He tries to help Peach but fails and then gives Mario helpful advice. Toad is a light character and has great acceleration.
Medium:
  • Mario: The hero of the Mushroom Kingdom, he has participated in numerous genres from tennis to golf. Mario is a balanced racer.
  • Luigi: The not so famous brother of Mario. He usually tags along with Mario as more of a sidekick then an equal. Like Mario, Luigi is a balanced racer.
Heavy:
  • Donkey Kong (DK): He's the monkey. Donkey Kong is a big ape who was once rivals with Mario at the start but is now stars in more of his own games separate from Mario. He's a heavy racer who can knock you off the track if given the chance.
  • Bowser: Bowser is the classic villain of the Mario games who repeatedly plots to kidnap Princess Peach. Fortunately, his plans are always foiled by Mario and Luigi. He's a heavy racer who can knock you off the track if given half a chance.
  • Wario: Childhood friend of Mario, he was oft cast as the bad guy, ultimately leading to his life of crime. He's a balanced/heavy player with lots of speed and handling, and less of an emphasis on items.
The Karts:
Code:
====== ----------------------------------------------------------- Bowser | Tyrant | Standard BW | Hurricane | ======------------------------------------------------------------------------- Speed | 9.0 | 9.8 | 10. | Acceleration | 2.2 | 3.0 | 3.2 | Weight | 10. | 8.1 | 8.0 | Handling | 2.3 | 2.8 | 3.1 | Drift | 6.3 | 6.6 | 7.0 | Items | 10. | 6.5 | 3.2 | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I intend on using the Tyrant first, to see how I go before I make any choices for the rest of the cups. Drifting doesn't bother me but Handling is crucial for me, as I really need to hit corners perfectly as I prefer not to Drift on every corner. The Acceleration for all 3 of my Karts is dismal, which brings down the Speed dramatically. It is quite obvious that getting hit by any shells or walls will see me drop off the pace considerably.

The Tyrant however does me a great opportunity with Items, so I will really need to make every Item count during a race.

The Circuits:

Last edited by Nugget699 : 04-19-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

Season 1 - Mushroom Cup, Figure-8 Circuit
Started off dreadfully, hitting bananas and fake items all over the joint, and after 1 lap I was sitting 7th. Picked up a few places by the second lap, and then got some fortunate speed bursts in the final lap to finish first, ahed of Wario and Donkey Kong. Not my best race, but a win is a win.

Code:
DRIVER F8C YOF CCB LUM T Bowser 10 10 Wario 8 8 Donkey Kong 6 6 Toad 4 4 Yoshi 3 3 Luigi 2 2 Peach 1 1 Mario 0 0

Season 1 - Mushroom Cup, Yoshi Falls
A second victory to me in bizarre circumstances. Yet again I got off to a slow start, and really fell behind from the rest of the pack after hitting multiple Green shells. By the final lap I was sitting 5th, when I got a 3 Red Shells and moved up to 2nd which is where I thought I was going to finish when I witnessed Donkey Kong slip on a Banana right at the end and allowed me to slip into 1st spot to give me an almost unassailable lead after only 2 races.

Code:
Pos DRIVER F8C YOF CCB LUM T 1 Bowser 10 10 20 2 Donkey Kong 6 8 14 3 Wario 8 3 11 4 Peach 1 6 7 5 Toad 4 2 6 6 Luigi 2 4 6 7 Yoshi 3 0 3 8 Mario 0 1 1

Last edited by Nugget699 : 04-19-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

Season 1 - Mushroom Cup, Cheep Cheep Beach
A poor race in the end saw me finish 5th. I, yet again, got off to a dreadful start, and never moved higher than 5th, hitting walls and the fish really halted any progress. I piped Mario to the finish line but I really should have finished 6th. I maintain top spot for the Mushroom Cup by a single point going into the circuit I really dislike. My season may be over before it has even started.

Code:
Pos DRIVER F8C YOF CCB LUM T 1 Bowser 10 10 3 23 2 Donkey Kong 6 8 8 22 3 Wario 8 3 10 21 4 Luigi 2 4 4 10 5 Yoshi 3 0 6 9 6 Toad 4 2 1 7 7 Peach 1 6 0 7 8 Mario 0 1 2 3

Season 1 - Mushroom Cup, Luigi's Mansion
I finished 8th but feel cheated. I managed to claw my way up to 5th with just the final corner remaining, before I got hit by a Green Shell, stuck behind the moving tree and then hit by Mario who was using a Star. 3rd place overall isn't too bad considering but I feel gutted right now.

Code:
Pos DRIVER F8C YOF CCB LUM T 1 Wario 8 3 10 10 31 2 Donkey Kong 6 8 8 6 28 3 Bowser 10 10 3 0 23 4 Yoshi 3 0 6 8 17 5 Luigi 2 4 4 2 12 6 Toad 4 2 1 4 11 7 Peach 1 6 0 3 10 8 Mario 0 1 2 1 4

MKDS Trophy Standings:
Code:
Pos DRIVER MUSH T 1 Wario 10 10 2 Donkey Kong 8 8 3 Bowser 6 6 4 Yoshi 4 4 5 Luigi 3 3 6 Toad 2 2 7 Peach 1 1 8 Mario 0 0

Heavy rider Wario takes the Mushroom Cup, and sits top the MKDS Trophy Standings as I set my sights on the Flower Cup, one of my favourite Cup Grand Prixs.

Last edited by Nugget699 : 04-19-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

Week 3 - Chinese Grand Prix

Practice Session - Friday
I felt a long way off the pace during practice. The result in the previous race really hit me hard, and with the added pressure of being the Number 1 driver I really didn't feel up to it. I only managed low 50s for the laps which won't win me the race.

Qualifying - Saturday
If 16th was bad last race, then look away now as I struggled to not start last on the grid, managing an awful 19th place, just under 4 seconds behind Alonso on Pole. Adrian qualified 16th, which is still better than my spot.

Vijay told me not to worry and to try and let my driving do the talking.

RACE DAY - Sunday

Everything fell on the lucky side of the fence today as I finished 7th with a great drive. I jumped up 7 spots after the first turn and then battled with the two Toro Rosso's for much of the race before making a final push in the final laps to pick up 2 vital points for not only myself but Force India. Adrian finished 17th and Vijay seems very upset with him.

Standings

Next Update
Bahrain Grand Prix. This is my second favourite track, hopefully I can get another good finish.