Old 11-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Official 2019-2020 College Basketball Thread

The road to Atlanta has begun!

Preseason Final Four matchup on ESPN

Kansas vs Duke
Michigan State vs Kentucky
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina starts the season with a one point loss to its former Big South member Campbell

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-05-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Huge win for Washington last night over Baylor. That is the kind of game we always lose in non conference. Minnesota, Duke, Marquette, Va Tech, etc...every tough OOC game we seem to come up short last few years.

Our 2 top ten recruits, McDaniels and Steward were solid and Naz Carter stepped up as a leader. Gets me really excited to see what Hopkins can do with this group.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hot takes are saying the Longhorns have turned the corner for Shaka after becoming the first non-con team in three years to beat Purdue on their home court.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hot takes are saying the Longhorns have turned the corner for Shaka after becoming the first non-con team in three years to beat Purdue on their home court.

Good...I want him to stick around for a while since the rumor is that UT is Rodney Terry's dream destination, and he's put together a good UTEP team this year, and which should be great next year.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa just got smacked around by DePaul. Another Iowa team that sucks. DePaul was so athletic they made Iowa look like they were standing still. Well, if you watch Iowa then you know thats how they play defense.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Evansville knocks off Kentucky in Lexington.

Odd thing mentioned at the end of the game that I have a hard time believing is actually true. Post-game trivia noted that it was the first time in the AP poll era that #1 teams had lost twice in November. I mean, I figure they're right but that really surprises me that it had never happened.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

So who had the Evansville money line vs Kentucky?

STOP LYING!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And Evansville knocks off Kentucky in Lexington.

Odd thing mentioned at the end of the game that I have a hard time believing is actually true. Post-game trivia noted that it was the first time in the AP poll era that #1 teams had lost twice in November. I mean, I figure they're right but that really surprises me that it had never happened.

Funny thing is that nobody here cared about this game. This game was effectively a complete waste of time. How the hell they lose in Lexington (where I spent the day today) is beyond me. That's pretty sacred ground. I'm surprised that there haven't been calls for his job yet.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

That does seem crazy.

I guess top teams only play like 6 games in November and often they are cupcakes at home.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So Wiseman withdraws his suit against the NCAA and will now sit out while Memphis tries an appeal instead.

Meanwhile, the same judge that issued the (very) temporary restraining order that let him play last week has ruled that the TSSAA (the governing body for high school athletics in Tennessee) is within their rights to strip Memphis East of their state title due to, well, let's call it "improprieties" by Hardaway and several players, including {shocker} Wiseman.

That was the state ruling even before they knew about the cash payment. Now the TSSAA will also consider sanctions for recruiting violations as well.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-14-2019 at 04:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina has come alive after two one point losses against Campbell and N. Kentucky. They have got most of their injured players back and have started to gel just in time for the Myrtle Beach Invitational tournament. They have won 3 straight and that includes the first game of the tourney where they held an undefeated Utah team that had scored over 140 points in one of its first games to just 59 points and won by 22.

Next up in the tourney is a bigger test-#24 Baylor
Old 11-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal led by 1 at the half over Baylor but couldn't pull off the upset, losing 77-65.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Biggest upset in a while with SFA over Duke at Cameron.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #15
miami_fan
Coordinator

It was cool to see the team didn't panic and just throw something up there. Obviously something the team and the coach talked about
Old 11-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

That dude did make it interesting with how close he got to the buzzer with the layup.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

Am I the only person terrified that Nathan Bain is going to be deemed ineligible due to the Go Fund Me account that his family created after their house was destroyed by Hurricane Dorian?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Am I the only person terrified that Nathan Bain is going to be deemed ineligible due to the Go Fund Me account that his family created after their house was destroyed by Hurricane Dorian?

Evidently the school got NCAA approval back when they created it.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

That doesn’t mean the NCAA won’t shit all over themselves retroactively. If there’s one organization in the world that could manage to do it...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Evidently the school got NCAA approval back when they created it.

Common sense says this is the smart thing to do. I also don't think most people care because it is SFA. However, I could see the NCAA being terrified of creating a "Go Fund Me of star player at College Basketball Blue Blood U" loophole.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #21
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Very entertaining Pepperdine-Arizona game last night. AZ won on a last second shot by Mannion, but both teams were hitting crazy shots. Pepperdine hit 13 3s (48%) and Arizona hit 11 (55%). The defense wasn't awful either, both teams were on fire. Fun game to watch.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #22
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That doesn’t mean the NCAA won’t shit all over themselves retroactively. If there’s one organization in the world that could manage to do it...
Washington OT Kaleb McGary's family got approval for a similar issue a couple of years ago. The NCAA may be many things, but I think even they are smart enough not to mess with a situation like this.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

Nebraska lost to North Dakota. Poor Fred Hoiberg struggling.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #24
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Very entertaining Pepperdine-Arizona game last night. AZ won on a last second shot by Mannion, but both teams were hitting crazy shots. Pepperdine hit 13 3s (48%) and Arizona hit 11 (55%). The defense wasn't awful either, both teams were on fire. Fun game to watch.

Mannion must have recovered nicely after his poor game against the Zags. Arizona looks very solid this year. Even in the cold shooting game against Gonzaga they showed a lot of heart in almost coming all the way back.

EDIT I just noticed your post was from way back on 11/29. This thread has been inactive lately.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-21-2019 at 11:01 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #25
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm not sure Silvio De Sousa was a good $20,000 investment.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hard times ahead for some Jayhawk players, who will surely face a suspension without pay
Old 01-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #27
Butter
Coordinator

Just stopped in to say that the Dayton Flyers MAY be the only team in the country who have not lost in regulation. Lost to Kansas in OT, Colorado in OT, both at neutral sites.

A season the likes of which I never thought I would see. Even when we went to the Elite 8 a few years ago, that team barely made the tournament as an at-large. The one other time the Flyers have been a top 4 seed, they lost to a 13 seed in the first round.

Hopeful that we'll have no major injuries and the Flyers can bring home at least one or two tourney wins.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #28
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

With the #1 offense in college basketball in a year in which there doesnt appear to be that dominate team I think you safely up your expectations a bit I think the Sweet 16 would be a disappointment for them at this point.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #29
miked
College Starter

Just watched RU hit a 3 with 1 second left to improve to 15-5 and at least retain their top 25 ranking. What dimension are we in?
Old 01-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #30
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is looking pretty solid. Beat that Rutgers team. We have the best big in the game and a couple kids that make a 3. It looks like we may even have a real PG.

There may be 11 B1G teams in the tourney this season and the regular season champ may have 6 losses.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

Steve Pikiell should be national coach of the year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:45 AM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTF? If that's what he's down to then it's time for his 72 year old ass to step aside. And the student section ought to take a night off, let him coach in an empty gym and see how he likes it.

Playful Jeff Capel chant angers Duke's Mike Krzyzewski
Old 01-29-2020, 06:05 AM   #33
spleen1015
Coordinator

ROFL. He thought one of his guys was being disrespected. Nothing wrong with that. He admitted he made a mistake.

You're just talking shit because it's Coach K.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #34
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
WTF? If that's what he's down to then it's time for his 72 year old ass to step aside. And the student section ought to take a night off, let him coach in an empty gym and see how he likes it.

Playful Jeff Capel chant angers Duke's Mike Krzyzewski

Sometimes Dad yells at you when you really didn't deserve it. He's still Dad.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

You're just talking shit because it's Coach K.

Huh?

I'm generally a Duke fan, not detractor. I still enjoy tormenting a few people with the best college buzzer beater of all-time.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Sometimes Dad yells at you when you really didn't deserve it. He's still Dad.

And sometimes Dad needs to go to a home where he can be cared for by trained professionals.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
And sometimes Dad needs to go to a home where he can be cared for by trained professionals.

This made me laugh, very nice.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #38
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

right or wrong, my first thought upon seeing that last night was to give him half a pass...given how close he and Kobe were and the emotional state he had to be in...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Even after apologizing post-game, he still comes off somewhat tone deaf.

"You shouldn’t say that in the middle of the first half in an ACC game. This isn’t some cutesy little thing where we can just bounce a ball around and giggle.”

Dude, you're playing a team that's now tied for 10th (with GT) in a significantly down ACC. You're lucky students are there at all, God forbid they have a little fun.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gotta give it up for the Ole Miss women's team.

At halftime, in Oxford, it's 32-2. #1 South Carolina held Ole Miss without a point until exactly 1 minute remained in the half, when they finally hit a layup. That appears to tie the all-time half futility mark for D1 women (Lipscomb scored only 2 vs W.Kentucky in 2016)

They're playing exactly the way they've been coached & recruited.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #41
Kodos
Resident Alien

Glad to see Bobby Knight return to Assembly Hall today. Maybe it can help mend a rift in the IU fan base.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:06 AM   #42
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not a big fan but Kim Mulkey reaching 600 wins in 700 games is crazy. How the hell did Baylor’s women become a 30 win a season program?
Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #43
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am not a big fan but Kim Mulkey reaching 600 wins in 700 games is crazy. How the hell did Baylor’s women become a 30 win a season program?

Kim Mulkey.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #44
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Latest Bracketology has San Diego St the #1 seed in the EAST.

I can remember having East #1 seeds out west but I cant re-call a team from the West being the #1 seed in the East. Still plenty of things can change but....
Old 03-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #45
tarcone
Coordinator

Hard to believe it is Senior night in Iowa City as the Hawks host Purdue.

2 HUGE games left for the hawks. 2-0 gets them the 2 seed in the BTT. A loss to Illinois gets them the 6 seed.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #46
miked
College Starter

Rutgers may have punched their ticket with a massive upset win over top ranked Maryland at home. First time we beat Maryland since 1991 or something. Of course, the tournament will be a road game, so we're one and done, but this is RU after all.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #47
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa lays a turd. Played terrible. Got out rebounded and out hustled. Hard to believe the team played like that on senior night with a double bye on the line. Well, not really that hard to believe.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #48
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Rutgers may have punched their ticket with a massive upset win over top ranked Maryland at home. First time we beat Maryland since 1991 or something. Of course, the tournament will be a road game, so we're one and done, but this is RU after all.

I could see us winning a game or 2 on a neutral court. Guess it depends on the matchup. Pessimist in me thinks we definitely need to win 1 to go dancing. Hopefully we don't have to play Michigan again.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #49
miked
College Starter

Well, even though it is a road game, we could beat Purdue to end the season.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #50
tarcone
Coordinator

Maybe Rutgers will become a basketball school. Surely there is talent in NYC they can pull.