Lakers
Spurs
Mavericks
Kings/Warriors

Champions: Clippers over Sixers
MVP: Giannis
ROY: RJ Barrett

Who you got?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Predictions
East:

Sixers
Celtics
Bucks
Pacers
Raptors
Nets
Heat
Pistons

West

Nuggets
Clippers
Rockets
Lakers
Warriors
Jazz
Blazers
Mavericks

Champions: Rockets over Bucks
MVP: Giannis
ROY: Morant
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am still in preseason shape when it comes to staying up for the West Coast games.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In a bar watching Lakers-Clippers, surrounded by the usual idiot Lakers fans I see at the restaurant.

Reinforces my belief that the Clippers are fighting for good lol.

In all seriousness, I'm cracking up at Lakers fans drunkenly saying, "Jeez play defense!"

Get used to it, guys.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope that everyone who bitched about the lack of traveling calls is happy now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hope that everyone who bitched about the lack of traveling calls is happy now.

After watching a fair bit of the first half of NO-TOR last night while at dinner, I honestly don't know how anybody watches regular season NBA right now. 3p or dunks mentality has created a league of guys who can't fucking shoot normal shots. It was like watching really tall pee wee teams.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fultz looks really good
Old 10-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
After watching a fair bit of the first half of NO-TOR last night while at dinner, I honestly don't know how anybody watches regular season NBA right now. 3p or dunks mentality has created a league of guys who can't fucking shoot normal shots. It was like watching really tall pee wee teams.

Efficiency Jon. The buzzword in all sports in efficiency.

Last edited by miami_fan : 10-23-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Efficiency Jon. The buzzword in all sports in efficiency.

Whatever it is, it's damned ugly to watch.

If you can hit from 45 feet, it kinda figures you oughta be able to hit from 15 feet.

*clarifying -- my complaint isn't about the scarcity of 2 point tries, it's about the abysmal success rate I saw while taking them (a surprising number of times, mostly forced by what the defenses were giving up)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Whatever it is, it's damned ugly to watch.

If you can hit from 45 feet, it kinda figures you oughta be able to hit from 15 feet.

*clarifying -- my complaint isn't about the scarcity of 2 point tries, it's about the abysmal success rate I saw while taking them (a surprising number of times, mostly forced by what the defenses were giving up)

Honestly, it might be efficient but it's made the NBA less interesting to watch for me progressively. I bought league pass this year because it's a wide open season with some interesting new-look teams, but watching the games yesterday reminded me exactly what I'd been (intentionally) missing by not subscribing the last few years.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jokic is always fun to watch.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought the Rockets were supposed to stop Russ from trying to take over these games.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Both teams been pretty undisciplined down the stretch. Westbrook/Harden looked about how I expected it to - good enough to win a ton of regular season games, but I don't see it doing much outside of the first round of the playoffs.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

Steph looks so lonely out there.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #15
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, some of the new Warriors have looked OK in spurts, but boy does this Warriors team play differently, and Curry is not looking super comfortable as a result.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:08 AM   #16
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's just one game, against arguably the best team in the league...but woof that defense looks really, really bad.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

Arguably the best team, with Paul George still yet to play. Kinda scary, really.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ayton suspended for 25 games. Ouch
Old 10-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #19
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Ayton suspended for 25 games. Ouch

I like what they've done with that roster though. A nice mix of shooters and defenders added to the core talent.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Don't worry Nets fans, known Alpha Kevin Durant will be back eventually to keep him happy! Nets officials concerned about Kyrie's 'mood swings,' per report
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

KAT decided he was not taking any of Embiid's shit.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Steph Curry leaves Warriors game after falling on wrist

I mean, it's probably nothing serious, right?

But that might be a #1 overall contender if he was out long-term.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

Honestly, with a healthy Curry this Warriors' team has looked like a #1 pick contender. Without Curry they'll look barely a step above the Tankapalooza Sixers' teams.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #24
bhlloy
Coordinator

Broken hand... not sure what the healing time on that is, but they're almost certainly headed to a high pick at this point. Might as well not rush him back and either get another piece or use the pick as a trade chip. Probably best case scenario given how they've started the season.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #26
molson
General Manager

I love the thoughtful critique that a strip club review rating is a flawed metric to measure strip club quality across different markets.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love the thoughtful critique that a strip club review rating is a flawed metric to measure strip club quality across different markets.

That whole sequence is gold.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #28
PilotMan
Head Coach

So I suck at watching basketball. Especially the pro game, my eye just isn't tuned to everything going on, and everything I see that looks like something isn't. The game has just changed. Anyway. This is easy to see. What the hell kind of strategy is this?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs have been reasonably entertaining.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #30
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
So I suck at watching basketball. Especially the pro game, my eye just isn't tuned to everything going on, and everything I see that looks like something isn't. The game has just changed. Anyway. This is easy to see. What the hell kind of strategy is this?

Wow, and to think I had some respect for the Rockets at one point...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #31
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

They have been my least favourite team to watch for years. A blatant attempt to min-max "game" the way the NBA is played and officiated.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Cavs have been reasonably entertaining.

Yeah, I can't believe it. I've already watched more full games of Cavs ball this season than last season. Tristan playing out of his mind in a contract year just frustrates me though, knowing what more he had to offer all these years. I wonder what team is going to overpay him for 3 years this offseason - please not Cleveland.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #33
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Throw in the Suns as well to the "entertaining" group. It was torture watching this team the past 5 years, now they are actually fun. It's amazing what replacing talented head cases (Josh Jackson, Marquise Chriss, Dragen Bender, DeAnthony Melton, TJ Warren) and Vets who didn't give a crap (Ariza, Anderson, Chandler) with actual real NBA players can do to a team.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #34
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yep, Suns too. Each time I've tuned into a Suns game it's been to watch whoever they are playing, and every time the Suns have gone on to win that game.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, I can't believe it. I've already watched more full games of Cavs ball this season than last season. Tristan playing out of his mind in a contract year just frustrates me though, knowing what more he had to offer all these years. I wonder what team is going to overpay him for 3 years this offseason - please not Cleveland.

How about that Garland juke layup delay drive the other day on Simmons? Obviously he needs to start hitting shots but that’s some superstar type shit.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #36
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm assuming the Suns I saw last night was largely a product of Ricky Rubio being out, because that did not live up to the hype the Suns have been getting

Also, what's the reason behind Ty Jerome not getting any minutes? Is he injured?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They have been my least favourite team to watch for years. A blatant attempt to min-max "game" the way the NBA is played and officiated.

Getting on this late...

You can look back in past NBA threads and see my commentaries on this before but I'll say it again.

D'Antoni sucks in just about every way. As an arrogant human being and as a destroyer of a normally beautiful game. He should not be coaching in the NBA but he got lucky to be matched with Harden, the perfect superstar for his system and nearly the same level of (or lack thereof) self reflection and awareness.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

15 years ago this year, the Malice at the Palace happened. I checked out the archive. The thread is still there
Old 11-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #39
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm assuming the Suns I saw last night was largely a product of Ricky Rubio being out, because that did not live up to the hype the Suns have been getting

Also, what's the reason behind Ty Jerome not getting any minutes? Is he injured?
Yeah, he has a bad ankle injury (atleast 2 more weeks). it's a shame as the team had a pretty solid PG rotation in the preseason with Rubio, Jerome and Tyler Johnson. Now, you get a lot of Jevon Carter when Rubio is hurt (not good). This team doesn't have the depth to sustain 2-3 big injuries against a team the caliber of Boston. Without Rubio, Jerome and Ayton (plus a very gimpy Baynes), 90% of the scoring/playmaking falls to Booker and Oubre.

Last night against the Kings, the issue was having no PG or bigs. Both Ayton and Baynes didn't play (and Rubio could only manage 15 min). So, we got a lot of Cheick Diallo, Elie Okobo and Frank Kaminsky. The Suns just have to find a way to ride out these last 13 games before Ayton comes back (and hope Rubio and Baynes get healthy). They are fun when mostly healthy, but if Rubio, Booker or Ayton/Baynes can't play - the quality drops pretty quickly.

Last edited by Arles : 11-20-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #40
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Doncic might end up being a decent player.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #41
miami_fan
Coordinator

Seems there are a lot of injuries from players randomly running into other players. Hope Kemba is okay.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Reports are he doesn't have any injuries other than "concussion-like" symptoms.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:23 AM   #43
Groundhog
Coordinator

Melo Ball just notched up a triple double in the Australian league. I thought he would be a gimmick/spot contributor in this league - and I definitely wasn't alone on that - but boy has he proven me and a lot of other people wrong. His three ball is also improving.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #44
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
15 years ago this year, the Malice at the Palace happened. I checked out the archive. The thread is still there

That thread had some unique bedfellows.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Melo Ball just notched up a triple double in the Australian league. I thought he would be a gimmick/spot contributor in this league - and I definitely wasn't alone on that - but boy has he proven me and a lot of other people wrong. His three ball is also improving.

He grew about 5 inches it seems.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #46
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Lonzo looked great in college too.

My understanding is that Melo has a weird shot too. Is that right? That could give some of the same problems Lonzo has trying to shoot and score in the NBA.

Of course if Melo isn't as injury prone, that right there give him a better ceiling than Lonzo.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #47
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Lonzo looked great in college too.

My understanding is that Melo has a weird shot too. Is that right? That could give some of the same problems Lonzo has trying to shoot and score in the NBA.

Of course if Melo isn't as injury prone, that right there give him a better ceiling than Lonzo.

There's a big difference between college and our league, though. He's doing this against men, in one of the strongest leagues outside of the NBA talent-wise, especially the top 4 teams.

He started the year with a shot that looked almost identical to Lonzo's out of college, but it's started to shift a little. Still looks like he shoots it with his arms more than his legs, but he's been putting in a lot of work with the coach he brought down here with him and it's starting to pay off the past couple of weeks. He needs to get better defensively, but in terms of his passing and playmaking ability it's NBA-level already IMO, so if he can make that 3 ball consistently I'd say he's already ahead of Lonzo at 18 years of age.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Playing the Hawks is like going on Oprah

"And you get a basket ... and you get a basket ... and you get a basket ... you ALLLLLLLL get a basket ... many baskets ...soooooo many baskets"
Old 11-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

To be fair, the Rockets also gave up 158 this year.

The real question is can the Hawks score 158 in a game at some point this year.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #50
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Playing the Hawks is like going on Oprah

"And you get a basket ... and you get a basket ... and you get a basket ... you ALLLLLLLL get a basket ... many baskets ...soooooo many baskets"

Jabari Parker definitely found the perfect team. I'm not sure he's one of the 5 worst defenders on this Hawks team.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote