Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Wifi Extenders?

We're having trouble with our wireless network not reaching parts of the second floor of our home very well. I have zero experience with wireless extenders. Are they reliable? Any particular ones recommended or to be avoided?

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
digamma
Torchbearer

My own experience was about 4 years ago and we found them to extend the range but sometimes at a reduced signal. Technology may have improved since then and I honestly don't remember the brand we used.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

I used them years ago to get around my kitchen appliances and it worked great. D-link back then...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
My own experience was about 4 years ago and we found them to extend the range but sometimes at a reduced signal.
Reduced signal throughout the house, or just out at the fringes?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

To some extent everywhere, but most notable at the extendable areas.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How fancy/new is your router? I have a modest home but once I got a brand new router that seemed to help.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
Easy Mac

Sometimes moving it slightly helps with the signal.

Do you need the signal for ipads/tablets, or other things that can't be plugged in by ethernet? If its like a Roku or entertainment devices like that, powerline adapters could be a way to go.

I have a range extender, but I haven't used it in a while, I didn't see where it actually helped with my network at all.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I found that just taking one of my existing routers and putting it in 'bridge' mode worked just as well as a wifi extender.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I have very limited knowledge about networking, but this is what a group of people wrote on another forum in regards to this. They seem to know their shit so hopefully it helps.

Quote:
ACCESS POINTS
Quote:

A separate device that provides wireless to your network. By having a separate device this allows you to place the AP in an ideal location and stash away the rest of your networking gear in a closet or basement that would otherwise give you spotty coverage. To cover larger areas you can have multiple access points on your network, just ensure your wireless channels are not overlapping.

Any consumer wifi router can be used as an access point if you disable its DHCP server and ignore its WAN port. However;

Ubiquiti is once again the recommended manufacturer with their recently released Unifi AC lineup. You can mix and match different Unifi APs on the same network seamlessly, even older non AC ones, and they will all play nicely together in the controller.

Ubiquiti Unifi AC Lite $100

Features 2x2 MIMO 802.11AC, multi-SSID, VLANs, Guest Network with captive portal, and powered via 24V passive PoE (included adapter). It’s configured via the Unifi controller software which has to be installed and running on a computer to use. Note that if you want to use the captive portal you have to have the controller software running. If you don’t have a local server or computer running 24/7 you can install it onto a Raspberry Pi or pick up Ubiquiti’s Unifi Cloud Key ($80). If you are not using the captive portal feature you do not need to have the controller running 24/7, you can use it once to setup the wifi and then never run it again.

Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro $180

Similar to the AC Lite, except it features 3x3 MIMO for more wifi speed (if your wifi clients support it) and is powered by the industry standard 48V 802.3af PoE (also comes with the proper adapter included). Note that you cannot power this using an ERX’s passthrough since it uses a different PoE standard. Also uses the Unifi controller software.

Ubiquiti Unifi AC-LR $120 (?)

There is some debate as to whether or not the UAP-AC-LR is worth getting. It ties with the Lite for 5ghz wifi speeds (with 2x2 MIMO on 5ghz) but ties with the Pro for 2.4ghz wifi speeds (with 3x3 MIMO on 2.4ghz). It has a fancy internal antenna that is supposed to offer superior range but it isn’t clear if it actually does. A longer range antenna could actually hurt performance in an area with lots of other APs. With the older LR models some people reported that while the AP signal could reach the client devices the return signals couldn’t get back. This would often prevent client devices from roaming between APs properly. The AC-LR does not appear to have this issue and several people have reported that it works great in a home setting. However nobody is sure if the AC-LR really does offer longer range than the Lite or Pro models. Like the Lite it is powered by 24V passive PoE and includes the necessary adapter.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I found that just taking one of my existing routers and putting it in 'bridge' mode worked just as well as a wifi extender.

Yeah this is also worth trying. Especially if you can powerline to it in another room that is close to where you need the connection.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
djsatu
High School Varsity

Ben this is all you need. Got one for my house, and one for my parents' house as well. Super easy to set up, and very very good product.

D-Link Wi-Fi Dual Band Range Extender (DAP-1520) Review & Rating | PCMag.com
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'd look at your current location and surroundings before adding an extender.
If its inside a metal cabinet or container get it out, wood is better. Free air is best.
If its beside other wireless devices move one or the other. Cordless phones,video game consoles, etc can cause interference.

If you have a newer router (less than say 4 years old) and a sub 5,000 sqft house built in NC in the last 30 years you should need an extender until the far reaches of the property. I can hit my cheap router from the back corner of my property (9 acres house dead in center) just by making the changes above.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have one of those mesh setups? Google home or otherwise. Got a lot of issues in this house and i just want the internet to work in every room. Not a huge house but built using 1950s materials
Old 04-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I have Google Wifi, and I've not looked back. My brother went with Orbi and he seems to be happy with his mesh network as well. We both had issues with dead spots with our old routers in our respective homes (newer units, built in 2000s and later).

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-01-2019 at 12:30 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote