Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2004, 08:12 AM   #651
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Thoughts on game three:

- Good win for Toronto, but nothing to get excited over. Down 2-0 at home is the easiest game to win in any series. We didn't see the real Flyers tonight.

- Still, one good sign for the Leafs: they've been better every game of the series, and Philly has been worse

- I admit, before the game I hated the idea of putting Belak in there. I'm still not sold. Yes, he played probably the greatest game of his career. Let's see if he can keep it up without crossing the line and costing the team, especially when they go into Philly.

- I was also wondering how Belak, Antropov and Ponikoravsky were expected to produce any offense when none of them have hands. I guess we found out the answer: I've never seen a Leaf line try so hard to get the puck back to the point at every opportunity. Not even an attempt to do anything themselves. Good strategy.

- Marchement, you like the big hit in the neutral zone, we get it! How about hanging back and playing a little defence every now and then.

- Mogilny is a Lady Byng candidate and one of the cleanest players in the league, so he's not out there trying to hurt guys. Still, how is that not a penalty? Terrible non-call in an otherwise well-reffed game.

- I love Danny Markov. He could play for my team any time. He's just plain crazy. A perfect playoff hockey player.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:10 AM   #652
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
hadn't heard that insight yet. thanks!

next you're going to tell me that Scott Hannan is the most underrated defenseman in the NHL or that Lecavalier and St Louis grew up rooting for the Habs.

I was just venting... Not that I care that they are huge flops, I actually like that, but they still get too much hype despite sucking.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 AM   #653
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I was just venting... Not that I care that they are huge flops, I actually like that, but they still get too much hype despite sucking.

just playing around.
now that I have to watch the ESPN broadcasts, my tolerance for repeating the same stupid storyline over again and again and again gets annoying.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:09 AM   #654
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I'd reccommend the Red Wings. Repent. It's never too late to accept your hero and savior, Steve Yzerman.

I will never cross over to the Dark Side...NEVER!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Jeebs...Cheer for the Flames. All the cool kids are doing it.

OK, since both bbor and klayman say rooting for the Flames is cool, I'll be doing it...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:14 AM   #655
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I will never cross over to the Dark Side...NEVER!!!!!!!!

OK, since both bbor and klayman say rooting for the Flames is cool, I'll be doing it...

Aww, come on! The Red Wings are cool, man.

klayman and bbor are dorks. They don't even capitalize their names for crissakes! How can you take them seriously?

Besides, klayman has already outed himself as a closet Wings' fan.

I am going in search of this post!
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #656
Karim
College Starter

Root for the Flames. Detroit security molested the chicken and stole his megaphone.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:42 PM   #657
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
just playing around.
now that I have to watch the ESPN broadcasts, my tolerance for repeating the same stupid storyline over again and again and again gets annoying.

And they think their ratings are bad because nobody likes hockey. Their ratings are bad because ESPN sucks!

Oh...sorry about that, it's one of those repeating storylines again...

Last edited by Tekneek : 04-29-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #658
Vince
Pro Starter

Great game, DD. Sorry to hear that we seem to have been getting all the calls. And can I say that I really HATE that I am worried about a series that we're up 3-1 in?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #659
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Great game, DD. Sorry to hear that we seem to have been getting all the calls. And can I say that I really HATE that I am worried about a series that we're up 3-1 in?

just to be clear - it's not the refs fault the Avs are down 3-1. they've earned it with their sloppy play, while San Jose has been excellent.

I think Saturday's game is key...the Shark's still have the considerable motivational edge going into that game. but, if the Avs steal it, suddenly it's 3-2 going back to Colorado, and I think the Avs will have a leg up. that's a big IF though, as it's going to be a tough, tough game to win.

(also a tough game for me to avoid...we'll be in Boston during the day, and I'll have to avoid tv/radio until we get home to fire up the Tivo)
Old 04-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #660
bbor
Pro Starter

A high stick which cause an inury(read:blood) and is ACCIDENTAL is always 4 minutes.

According to the rule book.I seem to recall a few years ago when you cut someone with your stick it was an automatic get the hot shower water and cold beer.

HB.....The Winged wheel are the evil empire in Toronto..going back to the (Chuck) Norris division days.It hurts us to see a cup so close to Toronto...yet so far away in Detroit

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #661
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
HB.....The Winged wheel are the evil empire in Toronto..going back to the (Chuck) Norris division days.It hurts us to see a cup so close to Toronto...yet so far away in Detroit
Clark still kicked Probert's ass.

(Looks around for a Leaf fan to high-five and chug beer with.)
Old 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM   #662
bbor
Pro Starter

ML....4-1 is a good win...but.....if you look back at the goals....Ponikarovskykazjcifhgeuicgfhienuxc's goal was a pure luck deflection.....Tuckers' was 5-3 where you SHOULD score....Kilgers was a fluke.Mogilnys' goal was the only real goal of the bunch.The Leafsgot the bounces..wheather they were due for those bounces or not they got them,but you are correct that win does not instill as much confidence as JohnnyG thinks it does.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:28 PM   #663
bbor
Pro Starter

HB...BTW.....3-1 Flames tonight,with an empty net goal.Iginla gets a goal and an assist

I'm shocked at the speed Iggy has...i never pegged him for a quick player...but the dude has wheels.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:11 PM   #664
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
ML....4-1 is a good win...but.....if you look back at the goals....Ponikarovskykazjcifhgeuicgfhienuxc's goal was a pure luck deflection.....Tuckers' was 5-3 where you SHOULD score....Kilgers was a fluke.Mogilnys' goal was the only real goal of the bunch.The Leafsgot the bounces..wheather they were due for those bounces or not they got them,but you are correct that win does not instill as much confidence as JohnnyG thinks it does.

Sure, we got bounces, but its hockey...the best team usually gets the bounces.....It was a good bounce on Brashears goal in game 2.....and a lucky bounce on Mogilny hitting the post in game 2....and a unusual bad goal that won game 2 for the Flyers....and Amonte's goal yesterday was a lucky bounce.....and Mogilny was lucky the puck bounced right to sundin before his breakaway....see what im saying..... Im confident in this team....Through 3 games....I think Toronto has outplayed Philly twice.....game 1 was pretty even, but the Leafs were coming off game 7, and a let down was expected......based on that.....GO LEAFS GO!!!
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:31 PM   #665
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed on all counts, but at the end of the day a win is a win. I think we get too caught up during the playoffs in analyzing the games and looking for trends. What happens in one game doesn't have much to do with what will happen in the next.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #666
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Aww, come on! The Red Wings are cool, man.

Some little known facts about the Wings:

1) They supplied the Nazis with Hockey sticks during the late 30's and early 40's.

2) The beef on little Caeser's pizzas is made of orphaned babies!

3) They once gave a contract to Dean Houston to play net for them in the 80's.

How can anyone cheer for that monstrosity?

Go Flames!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:30 PM   #667
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Some little known facts about the Wings:

1) They supplied the Nazis with Hockey sticks during the late 30's and early 40's.

2) The beef on little Caeser's pizzas is made of orphaned babies!

3) They once gave a contract to Dean Houston to play net for them in the 80's.

How can anyone cheer for that monstrosity?

Go Flames!

Man! My ears are burning. Allow me to retort...

1) Those sticks were given to the Swiss. What the Swiss did with them after we gave them to them, we cannot be blamed for.

2) Those babies were not orphans! They were donated by good, loving families.

3) It was a dark time the PH-BY era. (Post Howe/Before Yzerman) Ilitch was giving away a car at every home game. They thought starting the "legend" would draw a crowd.

Stop the hate!

Get with the love!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:30 PM   #668
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Clark still kicked Probert's ass.

(Looks around for a Leaf fan to high-five and chug beer with.)

Wendy's a pussy.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #669
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
HB...BTW.....3-1 Flames tonight,with an empty net goal.Iginla gets a goal and an assist

I hope you are wrong, you bastard.

If you are wrong, H_B =

If you are right, H_B =
Old 04-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #670
Karim
College Starter

Hello hockey fans, (RIP, Ed Whalen) don't forget to check out this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=25020
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:55 PM   #671
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Wendy's a pussy.

Wow. I'm not a leaf fan...but that's just wrong.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #672
bbor
Pro Starter

Lets play ......Red Wings we hate.....past and present.

Joey Kocur
Chris Chelios

Old 04-29-2004, 10:13 PM   #673
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Dino Ciccarelli.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:18 PM   #674
Simms
FOBL Commish

Kirk Maltby....but not for hockey reasons.

He broke my nose in a baseball game a few years ago. I respect the hell out of him as a hockey player, but I'll never forgive him for that.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #675
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's hockey...hasn't pretty much every player played for every team in the league? The trade deadline is what...May 20?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #676
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Curtis Joseph...still pissed even though it was for the best...
I second Dino Ciccerelli....
Shawn Burr....I never liked him....
Brett Hull.....nough said....
Oh and my father can't stand Steve Yzerman....I actually dont mind him....but my dad thinks he's shifty
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #677
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Kirk Maltby....but not for hockey reasons.

He broke my nose in a baseball game a few years ago. I respect the hell out of him as a hockey player, but I'll never forgive him for that.

This sounds like a story i'd like to hear

Old 04-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #678
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Oh and my father can't stand Steve Yzerman....I actually dont mind him....but my dad thinks he's shifty

Steve Yzerman is the only reason that I've never been able to develop a serious hate for the Red Wings.

He could play for my hockey team any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The definitive hockey package of class and ability. How can you NOT like the guy?

He's got his ring(s) though....no sorrow in seeing Detroit eliminated early on a yearly basis anymore.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #679
bbor
Pro Starter

HB is gonna shit when he sees this game....and the score of the Hockey game...2 goals in 18 seconds for the Flames?...damn

Old 04-29-2004, 10:30 PM   #680
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
This sounds like a story i'd like to hear
lol...

I was playing Junior Intercounty in Waterloo, and he was playing for Cambridge...pre-season exhibition game.

For starters, dude is NOT small (he hit two HRs in a game later in the season against us, the day after he was drafted by Edmonton), but for whatever reason, he's up there bunting. I was playing 1B. It's a harmless bunt right back to the mound, but my pitcher hung me out to dry on the throw. The ball got there at the same time as Maltby did, and I had to stretch into foul territory to catch it. He comes in with his elbows up and his arms folded across his chest...caught me right under the nose. Literally knocked me out of my shoe....one cleat ended up in short right field. Landed on my ass, nose broken and bleeding....but I held on to the ball.

I also played house league ball with Manny Legace in Toronto when I was 14...he left the team early to go play Junior C hockey in Alliston or something. First indication I had that he was a pretty damn good goalie.

Last edited by Simms : 04-29-2004 at 10:31 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #681
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No kidding. I really wish Calgary was playing any other team, because I'd love to root for them as the story of the playoffs, but...no can do. Unfortunately, it's starting look like I might be able to root for them next series without a problem.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:46 PM   #682
Hurst2112
College Starter

Ok, after 2 periods I have noticed something.

It looks as if the Wings are playing to advance 1 more game while the Flames are playing to win the cup.

Flames are lookin' good.

How can anybody hate Yzerman?

How can anybody hate Hull?

er...umm...

How can anybody hate Yzerman?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 04-29-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:54 PM   #683
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Hasek
Old 04-29-2004, 10:59 PM   #684
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm mystified by the Yzerman thing as well.

it's like hating Joe Sakic.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #685
bbor
Pro Starter

It's like hating the Leafs

Old 04-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #686
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I'm mystified by the Yzerman thing as well.

it's like hating Joe Sakic.

I would agree with that.

No matter how much I have learned to hate Colorado since 96, I still appreciate Sakic.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #687
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I would agree with that.

No matter how much I have learned to hate Colorado since 96, I still appreciate Sakic.

ditto with me and Yzerman, of course.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:12 PM   #688
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Joey Kocur
Chris Chelios

I can't hate Chelly. He'll always look like this to me:

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:14 PM   #689
Hurst2112
College Starter

Is that Belfour on one of his drinking benders?

Old 04-29-2004, 11:18 PM   #690
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think Belfour was ever that young.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:20 PM   #691
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I don't think Belfour was ever that young.

I feel dumb for not getting that.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:26 PM   #692
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I still love the urban legend about how he dented the Stanley Cup at the drunken pool party. Or it may be true. After all, who would believe that he would offer a cop a billion dollars.

Actually, I've been jonesing for a former Blackhawks three pack with Eddie, JR, and Chelly but no such luck. Unfortunately, McFarlane hasn't made a Roenick or Belfour 'hawks variant

SI

Old 04-29-2004, 11:36 PM   #693
bbor
Pro Starter

Eddie as a Hawk seems like lifetimes ago.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:39 PM   #694
Simms
FOBL Commish

What about Eddie as a Shark?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #695
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I feel dumb for not getting that.

just that the action figure looks like a young guy. not your fault - I'm not as funny as I think I am.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #696
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Uhoh. Things have taken a turn for the ugly.

SI

Old 04-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #697
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
just that the action figure looks like a young guy. not your fault - I'm not as funny as I think I am.

I got you...now it's funny.

I was making fun of his drinking...
Old 04-29-2004, 11:43 PM   #698
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I got you...now it's funny.

I was making fun of his drinking...

looking back, it might have helped if I'd quoted the right post!

need. sleep.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:43 PM   #699
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Uhoh. Things have taken a turn for the ugly.

SI

Why the hell would you slam a goalie with no chance of winning? The puck wasn't even around him.

Not a classy move.

Good game, except for my scalp.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:44 PM   #700
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw - Hurst is here and in a good mood. Wings must have won?