Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
Tasan
College Starter

Don Nelson, its been fun...

Nellie, its been fun, but I think Cuban's had enough of your small ball, can't win it all play. I have totally enjoyed watching the Mavs the past few years, and as a Mavs fan, I'm eternally greatful to Don for bringing our boys back to respectability, but I think its gonna take someone else to take them over the top. There are rumors that Cuban thinks this as well. More than likely, we'll see Don retire to maybe a GM only, and someone new will be brought in to run the show on the floor.

Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:54 AM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
Nellie, its been fun, but I think Cuban's had enough of your small ball, can't win it all play. I have totally enjoyed watching the Mavs the past few years, and as a Mavs fan, I'm eternally greatful to Don for bringing our boys back to respectability, but I think its gonna take someone else to take them over the top. There are rumors that Cuban thinks this as well. More than likely, we'll see Don retire to maybe a GM only, and someone new will be brought in to run the show on the floor.

As a Kings fan, I'd be sorry to see him go.

Actually, I think Nelson did a great job with what he had.... which was a team with no true center, and no real big power forward that can bang down low. Finley just seems to stay outside too much - he's almost as bad as Chris Webber has been of late.

I would fear the Mavs if they hired Paul Westphal. The only think that kept him from winning two titles in Phoenix was a guy named Michael Jordan and a poorly blown 3-1 series lead they had over Houston in '95 (I'm a big Suns fan too.... just LOVED how they showed THAT graphic when talking about the Mavericks' chances before the game...)
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:51 AM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Actually, I think Nelson did a great job with what he had.... which was a team with no true center, and no real big power forward that can bang down low. Finley just seems to stay outside too much - he's almost as bad as Chris Webber has been of late.

But, Finley is a shooting guard, Webber is a power forward. Finley is not supposed to be a post up player. Webber is.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yeah Nellie has got to go now.

Oh how we came so close last night! Dang it! 119-118!!!

Release Nellie and Walker and immediately we become contenders next season. With rookies Howard and Daniels the future is bright in Big D!

Nash
Dirk
Finley
Jamison
(Need a Center bad)
Howard
Daniels

That is a pretty solid 6 right there for my Mavs.

I have been a Mavericks fan since they joined the league. And yes, I endured those horrible years and never gave up on them. I am glad that they are winning and making the playoffs each season, but I think it is time to raise the bar and win it all.

Good Luck next year guys!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Release Walker? Please, the Mavs could at least get something for him. Almost certainly not the low post presence that they desperatly need, but something...

I'm hearing that nash may be out of here. He's going to opt out of the last year of his contract so that he can get more cash. Supposedly Toronto is going to make a big push for him, and he's interested in Phoenix. If he left that would certainly hurt the Mavs, though Daniels might be a decent PG if the Mavs are able to re-sign him. But I wonder about Dirk's future with the team if Nash leaves since the two of them are attached at the hip...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Release Walker? Please, the Mavs could at least get something for him. Almost certainly not the low post presence that they desperatly need, but something...

I'm hearing that nash may be out of here. He's going to opt out of the last year of his contract so that he can get more cash. Supposedly Toronto is going to make a big push for him, and he's interested in Phoenix. If he left that would certainly hurt the Mavs, though Daniels might be a decent PG if the Mavs are able to re-sign him. But I wonder about Dirk's future with the team if Nash leaves since the two of them are attached at the hip...

I didn't know Nash was on the way out... I thought he played fairly well... missed a few more shots than he usually does, but I wouldn't question his effort.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #7
Tasan
College Starter

I don't think Nash will be going anywhere. Once Dallas clears out Walker, they will be able to give him a ton of cash and nobody will be able to touch that figure. Daniels is a bigger question. Since he was an undrafted rookie free agent, his status is highly questionable. Dallas can only give him a mid level exception because they are over the cap, and he can certainly get more money elsewhere. The question then becomes is he going to be loyal to the team that gave him a shot, and then get his payday the following year when the mavs can give him a higher dollar figure? Or will he be like every other player and go for the money? I think we all know the answer, but I hope the boy suprises us. It should be a very interesting and active off season for the Mavs, but lately when has it not been?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
Daimyo
College Starter

I thought the main reason the Mavs acquired Walker because his contract was expiring next season and they would clear the cap space when he left after next year (As opposed to Raef who had several years left on a terrible contract). The only value Walker really has at his current cost is the cap space he clears next year so I can't imagine the Mavs can deal him without taking on longer term salary in the process....
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
The only value Walker really has at his current cost is the cap space he clears next year so I can't imagine the Mavs can deal him without taking on longer term salary in the process....

But sadly in the NBA these days, expiring contracts are a more valuable commodity than real players. In terms of a trade this summer, a guy with a contract that expires in a year (at a large dollar figure too) who can actually play a little bit might be the most desirable guy on the market.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:01 PM   #10
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Originally Posted by JeeberD
Quote:

True, true here.

I didn't mean release Walker, I meant the same as you said. We should trade him for a draft pick or something.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

As much as I enjoy watching the Mavs score, I just can't help but see that they are missing the role players. With the exception of Najera, there is nobody on that team who does not need the ball in their hands to make a contribution. No one to bang the boards, or shut down a opposoing team's top scorer. I can't help but wonder how far this team could go with a Malik Rose (inside) or a Bruce Bowen (outside) coming off the bench instead of having Shawn Bradley ensuring the bench did not fly away
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:25 PM   #12
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
But sadly in the NBA these days, expiring contracts are a more valuable commodity than real players. In terms of a trade this summer, a guy with a contract that expires in a year (at a large dollar figure too) who can actually play a little bit might be the most desirable guy on the market.
Yeah, but most of the trades that work that way are something like:

Team A sends good player with overpriced, longterm vet to team B for solid, overpriced guy with one year remaning.

Team A wants Walker to clear cap space... to do that they have to have someone they want to dump... if they have the cap space to absorb Walker already without dumping someone than he's worthless because his only value is to free cap space next year. If Dallas is going to take back salary anyway, it seems they would just keep Walker and let him expire... almost like he's too worthless to get value as a player and yet too valuable as next year's cap space to sap for salary.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:25 PM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, If the Mavs have lost their minds, maybe the Pacers could deal them Croshere and then leave Walker unprotected in the expansion draft.