Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Pick 4 offensive tackles for the FOFC All-Time NFL Team.
Roosevelt Brown 19 42.22%
Lou Creekmur 2 4.44%
Dan Dierdorf 9 20.00%
Forrest Gregg 20 44.44%
Ron Mix 3 6.67%
Anthony Munoz 44 97.78%
Jim Parker 3 6.67%
Willie Roaf 15 33.33%
Art Shell 20 44.44%
Jackie Slater 20 44.44%
Ron Yary 2 4.44%
Other (Please write-in your selection in a reply to this thread. It will be counted.) 7 15.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2004, 07:53 AM   #1
AgPete
College Prospect

The FOFC All-Time NFL Team: Offensive Tackles

First off, if you haven't already, check out the new webpage which shows the all-time team thus far.Click here for the FOFC All-Time NFL Team Page.

The NFL has an all-decade team. The NBA has an "official" list of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History. If there's enough interest, I thought we could create the FOFC All-Time NFL Team since football is what brought most people to this forum to begin with.

It works like this, I post a poll for each position, and classify players by their positions. Generally, all players will be listed by a position, not which side they play on or if they're strong side. FOFC voters pick enough players to fill a regular team. Check the link above to read previous results. If you do not agree with the nominees in the all-time position vote, please feel free to write-in your candidate. Some suggestions for other players are at the bottom of this thread.

FOFC selects:

3 Quarterbacks
4 Running backs
3 Tight Ends
5 Wide Receivers
4 Offensive Tackles
4 Offensive Guards
2 Centers
4 Defensive Ends
4 Defensive Tackles
5 Linebackers
4 Safeties
5 Cornerbacks
1 Kicker and Punter

Previous Results: (Click above link to see results.)

Quarterbacks finished 3/26/04.
Wide Receiver finished 3/29/04.
Cornerback finished 3/27/04.

If I make any mistakes on the stats, let me know. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE FOFC ALL-TIME OFFENSIVE TACKLES - Select 4 players in the poll

ROOSEVELT BROWN (1953-1965)

Pro Bowls: 9
Summary: One of few tackles of his era who could pull and lead for wide ground plays. Second person to be elected to NFL HOF on offensive line merits only.

LOU CREEKMUR (1950-1959)

Pro Bowls: 8
Summary: Started as offensive guard but moved to tackle. Led Lions 1950's NFL dynasty. Also played on defensive line in short yardage situations.

DAN DIERDORF (1971-1983)

Pro Bowls: 6
Summary: Leader of offensive line that permitted fewest sacks in NFL for 5 straight years.

FORRREST GREGG (1956-1971)

Summary: "Forrest Gregg is the finest player I ever coached." -- Vince Lombardi

RON MIX (1960-1971)

Pro Bowls: 8 (AFL All-Star games)
Summary: Student of the game, known as the "Intellectual Assassin."

ANTHONY MUNOZ (1980-1992)

Pro Bowls: 11
Summary: The standard for today's offensive tackles.

JIM PARKER (1957-1967)

Summary: Spent equal time at tackle and guard. Gave Johnny Unitas all the time he needed.

WILLIE ROAF (1993-present)

Summary: Named to 1990's All-Decade team. One of league's most consistent pass protectors.

ART SHELL (1968-1982)

Summary: With Gene Upshaw, led one of the best offensive lines in history in the 70's.

JACKIE SLATER (1976-1995)

Pro Bowls: 7
Summary: Most ever games played by offensive lineman at time of retirement.

RON YARY (1968-1982)

Pro Bowls: 7
Summary: Led the Vikings to 4 Super Bowls.

OTHER - After voting "Other" please reply in this thread and list your other choices. "Other" write-in votes will be tallied.

Some potential write-ins include:
Bob St. Clair
Lou Groza
Mike McCormack
Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Pace
Rayfield Wright
Gary Zimmerman

AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
AgPete
College Prospect

I'm writing in Rayfield Wright. Gotta show some of those disrespected 70's Cowboys some love.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #3
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Gregg
Brown
Munoz

Bob St. Clair *Write in*
Old 03-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ogden *Write in*
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

*write in*
Wright
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
Alf
Pro Starter

Ogden write in too
Old 03-29-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Rayfield Wright. Undeniable.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:23 AM   #8
AgPete
College Prospect

Write-in totals so far:
Rayfield Wright 3
Jonathan Ogden 2
Bob St. Clair 1
Old 03-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
Sublime
High School JV

write in

Ogden
Old 03-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #10
nole4sho
n00b

*Write in*

Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Pace
Old 03-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #11
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

forgot to click other for write in
-write in-
Dwight Stephenson
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #12
The_herd
College Starter

I went:

Munoz-duh
Gregg
Brown
Mix-surprised I'm only 1 of 2 people to vote for him.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

Munoz is the best all time, bar none.

Slater is right behind him

Shell was the total package in his day

Forest Gregg, a smallish man in the days of 3 yrds and a cloud of dust and he stopped the very best day in and day out.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:40 PM   #14
SFL Cat
College Starter

Dwight Stephenson was a center for the Dolphins.

Anthony Munoz - the Jerry Rice of tackles. I love the story of how Bengals coach Forrest Gregg told Munoz to show him what he had and the rook put the old Packer lineman on his backside. Munoz was afraid he might get cut because of that incident, but Gregg was duly impressed.

Jim Parker: the best of his era.

write in: Rayfield Wright
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
General Mike
Pro Starter

Munoz
Slater
Dierdorf
and write-in Boselli
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 AM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All due respect to Roaf, who is a fine tackle, but I can't believe he makes the poll cut, while Ogden and Pace are left off. Those two are the best tackles football has seen since Munoz.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:35 AM   #17
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
All due respect to Roaf, who is a fine tackle, but I can't believe he makes the poll cut, while Ogden and Pace are left off. Those two are the best tackles football has seen since Munoz.

CR

Roaf was selected to the NFL's all-decade team. Ogden wasn't. Roaf also has more career Pro Bowls. That was the deciding factor. As far as Pace, his career was just a little too short for me to put him on the list. If Pace were to go down with a career ending injury this upcoming training camp, he wouldn't make the Hall of Fame. You're going to see a lot more retired players than active players on these lists because I don't want an all-time team full of current players because those are the guys most fresh in a fan's memory. If enough people feel someone has been shunned, they can always win in by write-in. I think I've been pretty fair with the lists so far with the exception of accidental omission of Rod Woodson on corner list.

Last edited by AgPete : 03-30-2004 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPete
Roaf was selected to the NFL's all-decade team. Ogden wasn't. Roaf also has more career Pro Bowls. That was the deciding factor. As far as Pace, his career was just a little too short for me to put him on the list. If Pace were to go down with a career ending injury this upcoming training camp, he wouldn't make the Hall of Fame. You're going to see a lot more retired players than active players on these lists because I don't want an all-time team full of current players because those are the guys most fresh in a fan's memory. If enough people feel someone has been shunned, they can always win in by write-in. I think I've been pretty fair with the lists so far with the exception of accidental omission of Rod Woodson on corner list.

I understand the desire to not have current players all over the place, but that doesn't mean you shaft the guys that deserve to be there.

Pace I understand. It may be too soon.

But your rationale on Ogden? You're kinda fuzzying the facts there (although I am certain it is unintentional).

Roaf has played in the NFL three more seasons than Ogden. Obviously, he would then have a few more chances to be on the Pro-Bowl roster. Roaf has been to nine Pro Bowls in 11 years. Ogden has gone to seven Pro Bowls in eight years. That's right--the only season Ogden wasn't in the Pro Bowl was his rookie season (incidentally, Roaf also missed out on the honor in his rookie year).

Since Ogden entered the league, the two tackles have seven Pro Bowl appearances each. Since Ogden's streak began in 1997 (actually 1998 Pro Bowl, following the 1997 season), he has one more Pro Bowl than Roaf, who ended a similar streak to begin his career by missing out on the Pro Bowl in 2001.

As for the NFL's Decade team, well, duh... Ogden had only played in four seasons in that decade. He was just a young pup in July, 2000, when that team was picked. Roaf had been in the league seven years and been to six Pro Bowls by then.

Just about every scouting report I have read nowadays for football seems to indicate a consensus agreement that Ogden is the best tackle in football now and has been for several years. The only guy I ever see rated ahead of him is Pace, not Roaf (although Roaf is certainly in the Top Five).

I'm not questioning your fairness. I'm not questioning Roaf's worthiness to be on the list (he deserves to be there). I'm questioning your judgement to place him on there and leave Ogden off of it.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-30-2004 at 07:38 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:48 AM   #19
AgPete
College Prospect

I can only put 11 players in a poll so if Ogden goes in someone goes out. Trust me, I didn't intentionally leave him off because he's a current player. It was a debate between Ogden and Roaf because the rest of the players on the list were Hall of Famers. Honestly, I'd rather put Rayfield Wright on the list instead of Roaf and Ogden because he was snubbed from the Hall of Fame last year and has deserved to be there for a long time. I didn't want to be accused of bias though because I'm a Cowboys fans. I went with Roaf because he's had a longer more accomplished career but I agree with you that Ogden has enough merits to be on the list. Unfortunately, I only can fit 11 great players on the list. I thought about listing players and letting people write in all their votes but I really had no desire to count every single vote. It would be like tallying the IWS results evey day.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:50 AM   #20
AgPete
College Prospect

Write-ins so far:

Rayfield Wright 4
Jonathan Ogden 4
Bob St. Clair 1
Orlando Pace 1
Tony Bosselli 1
Old 03-30-2004, 08:36 AM   #21
j25352857
Mascot

Ogden
Pace
Kyle Turley (just for his helmet throwing ability)
j25352857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:18 AM   #22
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Bump ?