Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

High School Baseball vs MLB

Stupid comparison but last night we were up 7-5 with our best hitter at bat with runners on second and third. At this point he was 3 for 3 with a homer and 4 RBIs. The pitcher gets behind 3-0. Next pitch procedes to hit the batter square in the back. I think nothing of it, other than hoping he is ok.

Next thing you know I hear their coach yelling, "great pitch...that is better than a walk! great pitch...that is better than a walk!" We ended up getting two more runs out of the inning to make 9-5.

The bottom line is I would love to play this guy again in a situation were we could afford to plunk one of his guys. Then again it is high school. I just can't imagine saying that in a high school game. Wander what would happen in a MLB game with a comment like that.

Just some what venting here.

Last edited by Balldog : 04-07-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Take nude pictures of the Coachs daughter and put them on your uniforms. Problem solved.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
Huckleberry
College Starter

That coach is a jackass. Do not retaliate, it isn't worth it. Furthermore, the players on the other team weren't the ones yelling it, so possibly injuring a player for his coach's jackassery would be ridiculous.

Also, if I'm going to hit a batter instead of walking him, there's no way I do it on 3-0. First pitch or 1-0, more likely.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

Now if you could throw "at the coach".............................
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
Stupid comparison but last night we were up 7-5 with our best hitter at bat with runners on second and third. At this point he was 3 for 3 with a homer and 4 RBIs. The pitcher gets behind 3-0. Next pitch procedes to hit the batter square in the back. I think nothing of it, other than hoping he is ok.

Next thing you know I hear their coach yelling, "great pitch...that is better than a walk! great pitch...that is better than a walk!" We ended up getting two more runs out of the inning to make 9-5.

The bottom line is I would love to play this guy again in a situation were we could afford to plunk one of his guys. Then again it is high school. I just can't imagine saying that in a high school game. Wander what would happen in a MLB game with a comment like that.

Just some what venting here.

That's poor sportsmanship and a horrible example to set. Yelling it for everyone to hear makes him stupid as well as the prior two.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro

I get this vision of the pass-at-the-mascot scene from ??? Varsity Blues maybe?

In a case like this, some good bat control could work wonders. A couple of well-placed line drives into the dugout usually creates a good bit of silence.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well placed line drives? Just let the bat go in mid swing and send that sucker helicoptering into the dugout at the prick.

Had a few similar experiences to this as I got into the 'better' baseball as I got older, never failed to amaze me just how vicious some of these coaches could be, and in some cases, the fans.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Well placed line drives? Just let the bat go in mid swing and send that sucker helicoptering into the dugout at the prick.
Now our bats are too fragile and expensive to do something like that... I can't believe that guy would yell something out like that during a game. I can see a coach telling the pitcher that it wasn't such a bad pitch, but that would be in private. I know my coaches would never yell out things like that, but some of the bad baseball programs always seem to amaze me.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway
I can see a coach telling the pitcher that it wasn't such a bad pitch, but that would be in private.

Kinda what ran through my mind too I think. Somebody getting plunked in a h.s. game didn't really cause me to bat an eye, but the bad judgement of the coach to make it obvious & public is a bit of a concern.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #10
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I get this vision of the pass-at-the-mascot scene from ??? Varsity Blues maybe?

In a case like this, some good bat control could work wonders. A couple of well-placed line drives into the dugout usually creates a good bit of silence.

Yeah, it's Varsity Blues. The vision I was getting was more Bull Durham to the extreme though.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #11
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Hey if you're Ben Christianson this is definately a possibility regardless of where the target is. On the field.....dugout.......in the parking lot.....etc....

-zums
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:46 PM   #12
Travis
Pro Rookie

Heh, give me a good wooden bat over the tin can toys they're using in today's game. Always got made fun of for using lumber in games, even had a coach accuse me of making my own bats (apparently I could also make a great Louiseville stamp).

Back to the coach though, don't suppose he coached 1st or 3rd while his team was batting? Would have been an ideal situation to have your corner guy just 'miss' a throw. Course if the ball misses the coach, then you just to do it the old fashioned way.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro

I did that when I was 14 or so in Little League. Wild pick-offs work great .
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote