Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #501
MJ4H
Coordinator

Disagree. She had to reach for them, but it wasn't enough to detract from the song.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-18-2011 at 10:15 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #502
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It detracted for me. And the judges, who only praised the choruses.

She's still miles ahead of the other two, but she didn't sound good during most of that song. My wife thought the choruses were way too screamy/shouty, but I didn't think so. Of course, I also listen to death metal, so those kinds of things tend not to bother me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #503
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Country Idol 2011. Looking toward the stage you see three aspiring singing stars. Which one doesn't belong? I'll leave it for you to decide, but my bet's on the one who was tortured with impossible songs chosen for her by the Idol staff. You know, the one who sings just about anything but country.

Kristy Lee Cook is kicking herself for trying out three years too soon. She coulda been a contenda. Kellie Pickler just laughs and counts her money. No matter how hard she laughs, though, her shirt never moves. Kind of like Ryan Seacrest's hair in a stiff breeze.

I don't think any of you have any illusions about who I'm picking first tonight, but I'll throw the ratings together for the round of three anyway.

1. Haley Reinhart (surprise, surprise). They let her pick a song that inspired her for the first round, and she went with Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be." This showed off range and her ability to go on runs. They let her dad play some guitar, which made it a lot of fun for her. Jimmy Iovine sadistically chose the impossible Fleetwood Mac tune "Rhiannon" for her in the middle round. She actually did a more than credible job, focusing on hitting every note and staying in control of the vocal. Finally, the judges just kicked her in the groin with Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know," which has verses that Haley chose to sing out of her range. A mistake, perhaps, but she did a nice job finishing the song and showed off a lot of power in the choruses. 94, 86 and 80.

2. Lauren Alaina. She was at her worst in the opener, breathy and weak, especially in the early part of the song. Iovine gave her something that ruined her panty hose in the middle. I don't recognize it and it didn't suit her voice. She apparently missed a few notes in the middle as well. Still, everyone thought she was wonderful. The judges gave her a pretty Lee Ann Womack tune to finish the evening. This allowed her to show off more of her power and tone, and was easily her best of the night. 73, 74 and 83.

3. Scotty McCreery. Apparently unwilling to challenge his voting block for even a second, he decided to open with the same song he's thrown out there for a couple of months now. And he did the same decent job he's been doing all season. Iovine then chose something kitschy for him, something about being kissed. It was painfully awkward. I don't understand why the judges raved - his emoting was absolutely wrong for the song, and it didn't show off his voice at all. He finished with a decent choice from the judges, a familiar Kenny Rogers song. He was OK, but if you held that rendition up, side-by-side, against Rogers? It paled in comparison. Gotta know when to fold 'em. 77, 65 and 71.

Who Should Go: Scotty.

Who Will Go: I can say for certain it won't be Scotty. Haley, probably. She might have had a good chance if her Zeppelin had closed out the night.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #504
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Not even going to rate these. I fast forwarded through the other two singers' songs. Just don't wanna hear them anymore. LOVED Haley's zepplin song. That was SUCH a mistake doing YOu Oughtta know. Something just feels SO SO WRONG when you change the lyrics. I did like the rhiannon take. She sung it very much like stevie has sung it in concert. Starting off slow. There was a point she gave a very dark look at the camera. gave me chills.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-19-2011 at 04:01 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #505
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

THIS is the Alanis song Haley should have sung as the closing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgi7P97lu0

Uninvited!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-19-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #506
wade moore
lolzcat

I haven't watched in like 6 or 8 weeks after loving this show.

I watched about 1/3 or so of last night's.

I understand why I gave up on it.

The contestants aren't good. The judges aren't good. The shows not good.

I hate people that come in to dump on a show in a thread, and I'm really not trying to do that. I just feel like this season was a real step back in the show and I hope that maybe it can get back on track next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #507
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Wade, at least you tried to watch some. The annoying people are the ones who never watch, and never gave it a chance, and still feel they're entitled to hijack a thread and diss everything.

I'm also tired of this season. I thought there was great talent this year, but much of it is gone and we're left with Scotty. I loved Scotty in the beginning even though I hate country, but he's gotten weaker and weaker every week. His act grows tiring, it's the same thing week in and week out, and he's also proven that he sucks when he steps outside of that comfort zone. I do like Haley but she wasn't one of my faves in the first half of the season. And finally there's Lauren who I think is decidedly mediocre, but the judges have been pumping her up so much that it may have helped her get to this point.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #508
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
THIS is the Alanis song Haley should have sung as the closing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgi7P97lu0

Uninvited!

She had no choice - the judges picked it for her.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #509
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

I hate people that come in to dump on a show in a thread, and I'm really not trying to do that. I just feel like this season was a real step back in the show and I hope that maybe it can get back on track next year.

Eh, this show has never been that good, honestly. I think Nigel has overall done a decent job in getting it back on track from last year's shit fest, when Simon was too bored to care and they kept up with the faux homoerotica banter between him and Ryan (Yo Dawg has tried to keep that thread alive but fortunately done a poor job of it). The main thing that needs to be revamped is the judges - I don't even care WHO judges, just as long as they, you know, judge. This season, it was a waste spending 5 minutes for every performance to allow them to speak. They could have saved about $30M this season and just had Iovine and a bunch of guest judges and been much better off. It seems that the mantra of "we don't want to replace Simon" was interpreted as "no one can say anything bad ever" which, when combined with the fact that the show is over a decade old and has to keep touting the "best ever" talent, turned the judges panel into bozo cheerleaders.

I really didn't think the talent was any better or worse than a typical year, but this is what happens when you pimp a couple of country singers on a show that skews southern - you end up with Howdy E. Neumann and a teenybopper Pickles Lite as your leading candidates. They also cut out a couple of singer-songwriter guys from the competition scared they would get another Cook/Allen/DeWyze, and what they were left with was Stefano and Metal Lambert Lite. They did a poor job picking the top 24/12.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #510
Ksyrup

I'm pretty sure I won't be watching next week's shows because (a) I can't fathom listening to Scotty 3 more times on Tuesday, then a bunch on Wednesday, and (b) he will easily win and I can't stomach watching that. I usually choose a couple of contestants I love to hate each season (actually, they choose me with their voices, performances, and other stuff), but Scotty has easily been the most annoying, awful, loathesome contestant I've had the misfortunate to suffer through since I've been watching this show. He barreled right through Mikaylah Gordon and Chicken Little within about 2 weeks of the live shows starting up. He embodies everything that is terrible about country music (a genre I don't listen to much, but like on occasion when it's done right and not as some sort of faux patriotic/down home shtick) - if I tried to draw up a caraciture of the cliches I hate about country music, I couldn't come close to hitting them all on the head like he does.

Sorry...just needed to unleash my final Scotty vent (I promise).
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #511
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

I've been ignoring it, but figured as it got close to the end I would see if somebody stuck out. Since Haley was widely being mentioned as being the top person, I figured I would search out clips. I can fully say I'm not missing out. She's below average at best, but I can't say I'm really surprised considering AI lost it's mojo some time ago and the tank is simply empty for them in terms of talent. Granted, with the singing talents of Lady Gaga, Kathy Perry, and Taylor Swift being huge these days I don't think singing ability is all that required in a pop singer.

Last edited by Matthean : 05-19-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #512
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

we need to get kenny rogers, englebert humperdinck, and the ghost of laura branigan to roll up in there and show those kids who's boss
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #513
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
She had no choice - the judges picked it for her.

The judges are dumb then. (but we kinda knew this). Why'd they choose the song out of her range and then blast her for it. I wonder if there are some new goodoleboy producers in there that are skewing things and like giving Tyler a free snort of coke each time he does what he wants them to do.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I won't be watching next week's shows because (a) I can't fathom listening to Scotty 3 more times on Tuesday, then a bunch on Wednesday, and (b) he will easily win and I can't stomach watching that. I usually choose a couple of contestants I love to hate each season (actually, they choose me with their voices, performances, and other stuff), but Scotty has easily been the most annoying, awful, loathesome contestant I've had the misfortunate to suffer through since I've been watching this show. He barreled right through Mikaylah Gordon and Chicken Little within about 2 weeks of the live shows starting up. He embodies everything that is terrible about country music (a genre I don't listen to much, but like on occasion when it's done right and not as some sort of faux patriotic/down home shtick) - if I tried to draw up a caraciture of the cliches I hate about country music, I couldn't come close to hitting them all on the head like he does.

Sorry...just needed to unleash my final Scotty vent (I promise).

Ksyrup I'm confused. How do you REALLY feel?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #514
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Scotty has easily been the most annoying, awful, loathesome contestant I've had the misfortunate to suffer through since I've been watching this show.

I had no idea you felt this way about him...
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #515
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I can't wait for Scotty to sing "Babylockdemdoors'm" 3 times for the finale. That's gonna be awesome.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-19-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #516
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did you notice what else they did to screw Haley? When they showed the other two revealing their judges' picks, they were surrounded by dozens of adoring fans. Haley? Alone in a car. She has no fans, obviously.

Yes, thought it was a real hack job.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #517
Ksyrup

AI is doing the survey thing again. Let them have it here:

What Do You Think of Season 10? - Show and Alumni News - American Idol
Old 05-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #518
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
we need to get kenny rogers, englebert humperdinck, and the ghost of laura branigan to roll up in there and show those kids who's boss

That does seem to be what a lot of folks want.

Well, either that or maybe judges from bands that no one has ever heard of that will never manage to sell more than half a case of CD's from the trunk of their hybrid.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #519
Ksyrup

I don't care who they get to judge - they just need to cut the strings from the puppeteering they do to sell the contestants as TEH BEST EVAH! It's insulting to us, as viewers.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #520
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
AI is doing the survey thing again. Let them have it here:

What Do You Think of Season 10? - Show and Alumni News - American Idol

Done. Killed the judges. Killed them.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #521
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I haven't missed an AI episode since Season 5. I have to say, short of Pia, Casey and James Durbin, the contestants this year have been shit. It really is amateur hour now. They should be happy that Simon is gone, because he would have shit himself with these two in the finale.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #522
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
They should be happy that Simon is gone, because he would have shit himself with these two in the finale.

I don't think these two would be in the finale if Simon were around.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #523
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I just started watching a few weeks back and caught maybe 3 of the prior 5 shows in some order as my fiancée has been into the show for a while. My favorite by far was Pia, but given she wasn't country or male (and was a knockout) - she lacked the voting block in AI viewers (same thing that hurt Haley for the finals). Out of the final 5, I actually enjoyed Scotty and Lauren more than the others. I can't ever see myself buying a record by Haley as her voice annoys me, but that's more of a personal taste issue.

I also think if I had to listen to Scotty sing the same songs/style for 20 straight weeks, he'd be on my nerves as well. But, with only a 2-3 week exposure to him, he isn't half bad. He reminds me a little of Easton Corbin or a younger George Strait, which I can tolerate in small doses. I think Lauren could end up the biggest star as she reminds me a lot of the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks (a little chunky, bubbly and has a nice country voice).

All that said, this show is becoming old hat and quite tiresome. Without critical judging, it becomes a "teeny bopper" contest for average singers at best. After seeing this judging crew, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the best singer ended up being someone voted off early or even in Hollywood week. I can't imagine this continuing much longer as is, but who knows.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #524
Ksyrup

The song choices for tonight's craptacular final performance show are starting to leak. Apparently for one song, George Strait will choose for Scotty and Carrie Underwood will choose for Lauren. Here's the best part - Lauren's single is a re-tread from Kristy Cook's first (only?) album.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #525
Ksyrup

What, no posts about one of the worst final performance nights ever? So bad that Nigel had his buddies at TMZ leak possible "shocking news" that Lauren Alaina lost her voice and Haley would take her place? So lopsided with an eventual Scotty victory that the entire night was a Lauren lovefest, in an attempt to either get people to actually vote for her to win, or maybe to make it even halfway close and not embarrass her?

That was some craptacular music last night. I Love You This Big? Seriously?! I believe if you run that through the country-to-crap translator, it comes out as This Is My Now.

We missed the first 2 performances, as I didn't want to watch and we didn't even set it to record. But the wife insisted, so I watched tornado updates on FB and Twitter while the rest of the show played. Underwhelming, to say the least. So underwhelming that Jim apparently couldn't bring himself to post.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-25-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #526
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I don't think these two would be in the finale if Simon were around.

I am surprised I haven't seen any Simon quotes about this. I guess he wants to not lose ratings before his show even starts. But in private I bet he's saying what horrible rubbish judges and singers and everything they are.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #527
Ksyrup

Ha! This is from Jim Cantiello's live blog of last night's show:

Quote:
8:16 p.m.: Commercial break #2 has me thinking, who is Haley Reinhart's idol? And who would producers have booked instead? "With his pick for Haley Reinhart, here's internationally convicted child molester Gary Glitter!"
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #528
Ksyrup

First time a Tuesday Idol finale was beaten in total viewers - DWTS had 1 million more.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #529
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
First time a Tuesday Idol finale was beaten in total viewers - DWTS had 1 million more.
And I bet Pittsburgh is claiming that the additional 1 million DWTS viewers were all Steelers fans who willed Hines Ward to victory. Those 1 million people all want the mirror ball trophy to come back home to Pittsburgh (not that Pittsburgh was ever its home in the first place) where it belongs, and this will cause the Steelers to win the next six Super Bowls, the Penguins to win the next three Stanley Cups, and the Pirates to take one game out of a four-game set in Milwaukee either this season or next. Apparently, whenever a Pittsburgh Steelers player is involved with anything, the city of Pittsburgh and the Steelers fans are responsible for victory.

Funny, I have yet to see Steelers fans take any credit for Green Bay's victory in the most recent Super Bowl, but I digress.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #530
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

More Than 122 Million Votes Cast Following Last Night’s “American Idol†Performance Show, The Highest Number Of Votes In The Series’ History - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
Old 05-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #531
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Teen Country Idol locked them doors and turned the lights down low for its final performance of the season last night. Yes, there's a coronation event tonight, but the results are forgone and music fans are already forlorn.

What was notable about last night? The parody that has become of the judging was at least acknowledged. The judges didn't say a word until after both contestants had sung two of their three songs. They weren't missed in the slightest. And they had nothing to say, except different amalgamations of synonyms for amazing.

At this point, executive producer Nigel Lythgoe has to realize that changes are necessary. The finale is supposed to be exciting, not an afterthought. Less than 20 million people watched last night, as compared to an average of almost 23 million during the season, which included all the insipid audition shows. And the finale was down more than 10% from last season's finale.

Both performers last night went with three country songs. It felt like an afterthought now that all the better singers are out of the competition. Scotty was even more exposed for his limitations, Lauren even more for her lack of polish. Both were often eclipsed by the background, especially by an ever-present violin (oops, fiddle).

The anti-climax finished with an Idol tradition: forcing the poor suckers to sing their first "single" should they win the competition. Smart move, giving the front-runner reason to tank the last song. Rumors that Kara DioGuardi returned to write these horrific meandering singles for Scotty and Lauren were false. The results were no different, however. Both were trite and under-rehearsed.

On to the needless rankings for the finale:

1a. Haley Reinhart. Her absence was superior to the presence of the other two.

1b. Lauren Alaina. In her first song, which was a reprise of what she thought she sung best during the season, she sounded tired and behind the pace. Definitely her worst effort of the night. She followed up with a song recommended by Carrie Underwood, who knows the game very well. It showed off what power she has. It was the only song of all six from last night that I found even marginally acceptable for a finale. She did OK with the song written for her, but it was such a dull and redundant song that I think radio stations will decline to play it should she win. Which she won't. 71, 84 and 79.

2. Scotty McCreery. He went with "Gone," his crowd-pleaser, for the opener. It was a good choice and showed off exactly what he'll do when he grows up. George Strait picked one of his own songs to give Scotty for his second performance, and probably giggled, maybe even peed his pants a little, with the result. It highlighted what Scotty can't do in country, which is emulate Josh Turner singing something that isn't in his repertoire. Finally, Scotty was given a ridiculous "original single" for the end of the show. It exposed his problems emulating country radio with something he hasn't had time to practice. It was very weak. 78, 67 and 65.

Who Should Win: Haley. I suppose if I had to pick between the two finalists, I'd have no problem recommending Lauren. But among the 12 semifinalists, I'd have her ranked sixth or seventh.

Who Will Win: Scotty. Despite the judges' efforts to make this competitive, Scotty will win this easily. The judges spent whatever currency they had early this season, and their opinions no longer matter to the viewers.

Thanks for reading another season of my Idol rankings. I enjoy writing these, even when the music isn't so enjoyable. Believe it or not, this is my seventh season with full recaps.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #532
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
... and the Pirates to take one game out of a four-game set in Milwaukee either this season or next.

Now THAT is laugh-worthy, Mr. Tudors :-D
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #533
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks for the write ups Jim, I love reading them.

Now go work on TCY2
Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #534
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Thanks for the write ups Jim, I love reading them.

+1. Friggin hilarious recaps. Better than the actual show. (but granted so is caulking the bathroom tile.)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #535
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I have watched every single episode of AI since Season 2. But my wife and I skipped last night's episode, and it didn't bother us in the least.

And of course tonight is the 2 hour fluff piece, with almost no content, almost all commercials (some for product, some for singers). And usually, a complete waste of time.

I remember when the eviction episodes were 30 minutes, those were brisk and tension filled. Now they are drawn out, full of guest appearances and boring as all hell.

I agree about the judges, I think they did a great job at identifying the good talent in the beginning, but showed themselves completely unable to JUDGE after the show had truly begun.

Did I hear correctly about having a doctor come to check Lauren ON STAGE before her performance? Like that couldn't have happened 30 seconds earlier backstage? So basically it sounds like a giant excuse in case she s&*t the bed during her performance.

Anyways I wish the best to the winner, whoever it is, but I've never cared less than this season. The producers will definitely have to work harder to put together something with more integrity for next season. Maybe eliminate the text voting or something and get some better judges.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #536
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Who Should Win: Haley.

and it isn't even close.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #537
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Maybe eliminate the text voting or something and get some better judges.

Restrict the voting much & you'd kill a great deal of the buzz that exists around the show & I doubt they're going to be inclined to look in that direction very hard.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #538
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Restrict the voting much & you'd kill a great deal of the buzz that exists around the show & I doubt they're going to be inclined to look in that direction very hard.

You're probably right. It just seems like opening the door to text voting has skewered the way voting is going too much in one direction.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #539
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Up the thread a bit, someone mentioned DWTS beating AI for the first time ... but I thought everybody here kept insisting that 18-49 was what really mattered in ratings?

AI beat it 6.2 to 4.5 in that demo (although Glee surely helped hold Dancing down there while AI had no real competition at 8p), while losing by about 1m in total viewers.

edit to add: Ah, I think I found the 7% decline in AI's ratings ... Heat/Bulls Game 4 rocked a 4.2 rating 18-49 & nearly 10m total viewers.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-25-2011 at 09:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #540
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I've been hooked on Idol since season 2. I thought as the season went on, I'd break down and get hooked, but save for a few weeks I just didn't care this season. No contestant grabbed me and the 'judges' (If there was ever a case to use air quotes, it is now) were just crap.

Overall.. blah. Simon would have tore Scottie a new asshole up and down in previous seasons and I doubt he would have made it to the top 24 let alone win.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #541
GrantDawg

Ummmm.....did anyone know that the country twins were dating till Scotty let it be known there at the end? Rumours usually fly around these things, but I hadn't heard anything about that.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-25-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #542
StrangeWay
n00b

AI sucks, the Voice is better and X Factor is gonna kill AI.
StrangeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #543
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWay View Post
AI sucks, the Voice is better and X Factor is gonna kill AI.
How do you feel about Elmo Knows Your Name?

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 05-25-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #544
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ummmm.....did anyone know that the country twins were dating till Scotty let it be known there at the end? Rumours usually fly around these things, but I hadn't heard anything about that.

My wife called it last night but it certainly seems like something is going on
Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #545
Ksyrup

I didn't even get that from watching - but then again, "watching" meant FF'ing through 95% of it. I saw Judas Priest, Tony Bennett, sat through that boring ass U2 song, and then the announcement. Either he said something earlier, or I missed it during the celebration.

Speaking of Judas Priest, one of their long-time guitarists quit the band last week. I'm wondering if the decision to go on Idol played at least a small part in it. Hard to believe that the world premiere of the first new JP guitarist in 40 yearrs would come on... American Idol.

As far as the voting goes, I don't think they want to give up the "world record" voting numbers they had this year, but it remains to be seen how they square that with the demographic of who votes and the bias that brings. I seriously hope they don't think the voting is fine jsut because 2 women made the top 3. I'm not sure there is much they can do, aside from move to a SYTYCD format where the audience chooses the bottom 3 and the judges get the ultimate decision.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #546
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Have always liked SYTYCD better partially because of that and partially because that bad singers are boring and painful, but bad dancers are funny...and the songs are real polished songs. And really there usually aren't many bad dancers on the show.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #547
Ksyrup

The biggest difference between AI as a singing competition and SYTYCD as a dancing competition is the limitations you have with singing. With song, people expect to hear stuff they know or will like, with little regard for the artistic integrity of it. With dance, they don't have that limitation. They are able to create new dances every week and explore the artsy side of dance without having to rein it in too much (within reason), and that makes the show more authentic. People have less knowledge of and less of an emotional attachment to what they consider "good dancing," but everyone has an opinion on music. So they are kinda stuck. Plus, SYTYCD gets to use music as a soundtrack to the dance, so they get to have it both ways.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-26-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #548
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yup well said. Although they also have the occasional thorn in their paw...name of which is the ever-irrelevant Debbie Allen and the completely predictable Shane Sparks.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #549
Ksyrup

So apparently Danny Gokey started trending last night on twitter, and I can only assume people were rehashing his Dream On debacle after Steven Tyler did it last night.

I was also surprised at how little of Dream On Tyler performed, given all the time JLo and her Latino Steve Buscemi (seriously, either I've never really looked at that guy, or he's aged 30 years in the last 5) were given.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-26-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #550
GrantDawg

Quote:
So apparently Danny Gokey started trending last night on twitter, and I can only assume people were rehashing his Dream On debacle after Steven Tyler did it last night.

I was also surprised at how little of Dream On Tyler performed, given all the time JLo and her Latino Steve Buscemi (seriously, either I've never really looked at that guy, or he's aged 30 years in the last 5) were given.

Did you see his Tweet on it? "Why I am trending tonight? Did I die and no one told me?"