Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #51
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Does the preorder discount code still work by chance?

Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #52
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Looks like the demo is out.

One of my favorite games of the year.

https://www.wolverinestudios.com/dra...ll-simulation/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #53
Johnny93g
College Starter

Well I downloaded and installed the demo. The game opened just fine. I then closed the game to restart building my league. Now the game won't open. I have restarted the system, redownloaded and reinstalled the demo. Turned off firewalls. I have no clue why. DDS college basketball opens just fine.....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a fantastic sim Gary! I just started up as the GM of the Suns and after installing some mods and getting used to the new UI, I'm in love.

You have done a fantastic job of pulling me into a sport I seldom watch (outside of college basketball).

I've enjoyed previous versions to an extent, but the overhaul with 20 is nothing short of spectacular! Easy to navigate, but very deep with all the data just a click away. My 32" monitor is happy.

GO SUNS!!!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #55
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Well I downloaded and installed the demo. The game opened just fine. I then closed the game to restart building my league. Now the game won't open. I have restarted the system, redownloaded and reinstalled the demo. Turned off firewalls. I have no clue why. DDS college basketball opens just fine.....

We figured out that it was the graphics folder that was causing an issue. Not sure why, but when i deleted the graphics folder, the game started. Anyway, some feedback.

The Play/sim screen says you can change days by using the arrow keys. I am not able to. In order to change days, i after to click the current day and find the date i want via drop down menu.

Alot of the text is very small. The league news on the right side of the screen is small, and after a while i started ignoring it, as I had to squint to see it. If there is a way to make the text bigger, I didn't see it.

The trading screen is very cumbersome. If i want to change the team or look through team rosters, i can't scroll through teams. I have to click the drop down menu and select the team. This got annoying and time consuming really fast. I'd like to use the arrow keys to change teams.

I also cannot select a player on the trade screen and open his player card. I can select the type of view i want to see from everyone, ie stats, ratings, but i want to open a player card and view a player i might be trading for.

I also want to see everyone in the league who is on the trade block. There is a column on the trade screen which allows you to see who is on the block for the team selected. As i said, it's slow and cumbersome to change teams, so i can't easily see all the players on the trade block.

I simmed to the All-star break, which i assume is the limit of the demo, as it won't sim any farther, but i did not receive one trade offer despite putting a few players on the block early.

In the league transactions screen, it would be nice to be able to separate trades, signings, d league assignments, etc....The writing is again very small on that page, so after a while, i stopped looking.

In game, as GM only, I wanted to sim the game as quickly as possible. Selecting the game speed wasn't easy. A few times i moved the whole program when trying to change the speed. After successfully changing the speed, the game paused for 60 seconds or saw, and i saw about 10 minutes was played. It did this until the game was over. Almost like a freeze. i can't imagine that's the intention though.

The game does look great, and looks like it will be alot of fun though. Just some things i noticed from my first playthrough last night.

Those are the things to come to mind. Otherwise the game looks great.
TML
Old 11-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #56
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We figured out that it was the graphics folder that was causing an issue. Not sure why, but when i deleted the graphics folder, the game started. Anyway, some feedback.

The Play/sim screen says you can change days by using the arrow keys. I am not able to. In order to change days, i after to click the current day and find the date i want via drop down menu.

Alot of the text is very small. The league news on the right side of the screen is small, and after a while i started ignoring it, as I had to squint to see it. If there is a way to make the text bigger, I didn't see it.

The trading screen is very cumbersome. If i want to change the team or look through team rosters, i can't scroll through teams. I have to click the drop down menu and select the team. This got annoying and time consuming really fast. I'd like to use the arrow keys to change teams.

I also cannot select a player on the trade screen and open his player card. I can select the type of view i want to see from everyone, ie stats, ratings, but i want to open a player card and view a player i might be trading for.

I also want to see everyone in the league who is on the trade block. There is a column on the trade screen which allows you to see who is on the block for the team selected. As i said, it's slow and cumbersome to change teams, so i can't easily see all the players on the trade block.

I simmed to the All-star break, which i assume is the limit of the demo, as it won't sim any farther, but i did not receive one trade offer despite putting a few players on the block early.

In the league transactions screen, it would be nice to be able to separate trades, signings, d league assignments, etc....The writing is again very small on that page, so after a while, i stopped looking.

In game, as GM only, I wanted to sim the game as quickly as possible. Selecting the game speed wasn't easy. A few times i moved the whole program when trying to change the speed. After successfully changing the speed, the game paused for 60 seconds or saw, and i saw about 10 minutes was played. It did this until the game was over. Almost like a freeze. i can't imagine that's the intention though.

The game does look great, and looks like it will be alot of fun though. Just some things i noticed from my first playthrough last night.

Those are the things to come to mind. Otherwise the game looks great.

To change the days you use the greater than\ less than keys, > < . I too was confused by this when I first opened the game. When arrows didn't work I tried the < > and voila it worked.

I play on a large 2k monitor so haven't noticed the text being too small, though that of course can be different for each of us no matter the size of display. Have you looked on the news tab itself where the news goes full screen? Is that text too small too?

Lots of good suggestions for being able to list and sort on the various screens. Perhaps some can be added in a patch or at least find a spot on Gary's list for next year.

I've bought previous versions but ended up just messing about with it never really getting a career off the ground. A lot of that was caused by the small resolution on a big monitor and having to switch between screens or scroll to find information. DDSPB 2020 is a huge step in the right direction and I have played it more in the first access time than I played last years version in total.

So yeah, I agree with you there are things that can be improved but it looks great and will be a lot of fun to play.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #57
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

You need to push < or > to scroll through the days and not right arrow or left arrow

Quote:

There's a technical reason for this with how things work in the game but what else is lacking that you need the player card for? You can toggle to see stats, ratings, potential ratings and their salary info on the trade page. What other info are you looking for to make a trade?

Quote:

There is a search option in the left menu - that page will show all players in the league and they have a column with the trade block icon so you can sort by that and see all players on the trade block if you want

Quote:

I've never seen anything like this happen - to sim on the fastest speed I just put the speed slider all the way to the right and then click the play button to start the game and it moves along pretty fast.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well - I appreciate you trying out the demo. BTW can you tell me about your machine (screen res, desktop/laptop, OS version etc)
Old 11-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #58
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Coaching a game on the fastest speed often freezes for me too. Then the game will jump ahead along with several notifications on player interaction with the ref. I feel like if Gary got rid of those on the fastest speed then that would eliminate the freezing.

Also, if you play on the next to fastest speed, it moves pretty fast and it is a good solution for the moment.

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 11-24-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #59
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

So I have a 13 inch screen and 1920 x1080 resolution too and the text can seem a bit small, but it doesn't bother me much because I am having so much fun with the game. But I thought it might be fun to mirror the game to my television thinking that would make the font bigger, but it didn't.

Does anyone have tips on how to mirror to a 40 inch tv? It is just an HD tv, not 4k, but I thought a bigger screen would lead to everything looking bigger. Especially readability wise. Any settings I can fiddle with or am I out of luck?

edit:figured it out. Using the magnifier on windows does the trick. Makes the font bigger on the laptop screen and on the tv

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 11-25-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #60
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So my best player hates our coach and I can't seem to find a way to tell the coach to leave him alone?

I can call the coach and talk about the player but nothing relates to my player telling me the coach is riding him?

The player has a 90% good relationship with the coaching staff so I'm not really sure what to do?
Old 11-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #61
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I once had a good player with a disruptive personality get down to a 1% relationship with the team, but we still won championships. I also discovered it can't get lower than 1 lol

Sort of like a mid 70s yankees situation i think
Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I fired our coach, he was terrible anyway.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #63
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Is there a historical facepack? I went to wolverine, but didn't see one. Wondering if i missed it somewhere!
TML
Old 12-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Check the PB 2019 mod forum.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #65
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Check the PB 2019 mod forum.

I did and i must be missing something because i don't see anything like a historical player pictures mod there or anywhere.
TML
Old 12-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #66
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did and i must be missing something because i don't see anything like a historical player pictures mod there or anywhere.

Try this:

players.zip - Google Drive
Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #67
Dreghorn2
n00b

I love sports sim and was enjoying this until i went to coach and GM mode.

The game seems to randomly substitute players frequently overriding my substitution patterns while playing in 2d.

I think it's a setting somewhere but i can't seem to find it.

GM only is fun, but not as immersive.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #68
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I would go to the depth chart and check when you have them sub in/out. You have to select the player and in the lower right hand corner (i am going by memory) It will show when the player will be subbed out according to his endurance. This will override your main settings.

My guess is you have a bunch of guys who have settings of being subbed out at 80 or 85 which is much too soon. If you lower it to 75 or 70 then the cpu will more than likely follow your sub patterns as long as your players are not in foul trouble
Old 12-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #69
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Thank you!
TML
Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #70
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreghorn2 View Post
I love sports sim and was enjoying this until i went to coach and GM mode.

The game seems to randomly substitute players frequently overriding my substitution patterns while playing in 2d.

I think it's a setting somewhere but i can't seem to find it.

GM only is fun, but not as immersive.

If you are playing in local mode as the GM then you don't get to set the depth chart or sub matrix.

If you are playing in global mode on the strategy page there is a toggle for use coach strategies - if you turn that on the coach can override settings as well.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #71
Dreghorn2
n00b

Thanks for the replies, Sox and Gary.

Ok what i did was start a challenge mode game as GM/Coach.

When i started playing games in 2d my substitutions were being overwritten, i assumed as GM/Coach that while playing this way my manual selections would override anything else.

I'm not sure what global and local mode is, i'll restart a game and see where they come into play.

I've purchased 3 or 4 of your games in the past Gary, always enjoyed them.

Edit: Global mode just means GM/Coach versus just GM??
Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #72
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, Sox and Gary.

Ok what i did was start a challenge mode game as GM/Coach.

When i started playing games in 2d my substitutions were being overwritten, i assumed as GM/Coach that while playing this way my manual selections would override anything else.

I'm not sure what global and local mode is, i'll restart a game and see where they come into play.

I've purchased 3 or 4 of your games in the past Gary, always enjoyed them.

Edit: Global mode just means GM/Coach versus just GM??

Global mode means you can either control everything as GM and turn off the coaching strategy override or you can leave it on and let the coach's strategies come into play but local mode means you are GM only (unless you fire the head coach and hire yourself as the head coach).

If you have control of the coaching decisions it shouldn't blatantly override your sub matrix except for two reasons. One, the player's energy drops below his sub out level (in which case you just want to lower that on the depth screen) or two he is in foul trouble. Either way if you don't turn on to allow auto subs it won't make any subs for you period and you will have full control of the subs.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #73
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Global mode means you can either control everything as GM and turn off the coaching strategy override or you can leave it on and let the coach's strategies come into play but local mode means you are GM only (unless you fire the head coach and hire yourself as the head coach).

If you have control of the coaching decisions it shouldn't blatantly override your sub matrix except for two reasons. One, the player's energy drops below his sub out level (in which case you just want to lower that on the depth screen) or two he is in foul trouble. Either way if you don't turn on to allow auto subs it won't make any subs for you period and you will have full control of the subs.

Yes thanks Gary, that and finding the auto sub button on the 2d screen (and turning it off) has got me back on track.

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #74
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Looking for a little help here from those that play the game.

So far, I have only been successful building a post heavy team. I am trying to win in other ways and am struggling. To me, this team is a good team. To me, this team, if its not good, should at least be able to score a lot. I have fiddled with different strategies. Sometimes the team is above average. It never scores a lot. Am I missing something? What would you do?

Old 12-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #75
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Looking for a little help here from those that play the game.

So far, I have only been successful building a post heavy team. I am trying to win in other ways and am struggling. To me, this team is a good team. To me, this team, if its not good, should at least be able to score a lot. I have fiddled with different strategies. Sometimes the team is above average. It never scores a lot. Am I missing something? What would you do?

Yeah, this team is *not* going to score a lot. You don't have nearly enough passing. There's a grand total of one guy who can pass at all and the offensive rebounding is pretty mediocre overall.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #76
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I appreciate the response.

I am just not getting it. I understand I don't have a lot of passing, but I look around the league and there isn't a lot of passing regardless.

The Magic right now are 22-3. They run pace and space and are averaging 115 pts a game. I have their roster sorted by talent. Not the starting lineup.

They have a 7 on passing at point guard. The rest of the starting lineup is at threes. More impressively, they have 3 guys in the starting lineup that prefer the ball in the post, the exact wrong spot for the pace and space. So I can accept that maybe I am running the wrong system for my talent, but these guys would seem to be also yet they are scoring 115.

Indiana is 16-10. They run the 7 seconds. They are second in the league at scoring with 113.

They have a 5 on passing at pg. One 3 passing. And the rest twos in the starting lineup. Interestingly enough, two big post players in the starting lineup.

This is their team sorted by talent

Perhaps, I put together a flawed team offensive team, I don't know. I knew I didn't have great passing, but those other teams don't have great passing. I have lots of shooting. I am willing to accept my team is flawed. But the confusing thing to me is those other teams look flawed.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #77
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

One of these teams is last in scoring with 94. The other is third with 111. That is a 17 point difference for you math majors out there. Can you guess which is the better scoring team?

If it is obvious to you which team is the better offense, please tell me what it is you are focused on!

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 12-07-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #78
Izulde
Head Coach

Well, you're also running 1-10 ratings. That's going to make it much more difficult to judge. You have a significant ratings swing in each individual number, plus scouting error on top of that (I'm strictly a 1-100 ratings guy myself).

I'd say the top team is the one that's 111. The bottom team's post situation is really bad. Looking at your roster more closely, I noticed you're in a similar situation. There's no bigs I'd want in a starting lineup, ever.

One of your two top scorers is also a possible moron (IQ 4), which is an ugly look for perimeter players.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #79
Izulde
Head Coach

Dola,

I answered on the WS boards more fully now that there's cards there to look at. It tells more than just the ratings, which I've noticed has become really more important from 19 on (DDS 1-3 it was much easier to build a team just off ratings).

Old 12-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #80
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

You got it right. The top team does have a better offense. That makes me feel better that you can recognize that lol
Old 12-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #81
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I wanted to comment here for those who do not go to my forums or site but are interested in the game. I will respond on the WS site to your specific team questions though.

In DDSPB the ratings are only part of the story and that's what makes the game so deep. Players are much more than a set of ratings - you have to consider their playing styles and how those styles mesh together. You can't have a team full of Melos and expect there to be any ball movement. If you have a bunch of guys rated average or below in scoring it's going to be tough for anyone in that group to create much offense for themselves. If you have a great catch and shoot scorer but lousy passers and nobody who likes to drive and pass he's not going to be a great scorer because the things around him that need to happen for him to catch and shoot don't happen.

That's the beauty of the game - there are so many ways to construct a team. Sometimes you might hit on a great combination of players that outperforms your expectations - sometimes you have a group that seems like on paper they should be much better than they are. Just like in real life
Old 12-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #82
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Thanks for the response, Gary. I am just trying to figure things out and I hope I didn't come across as too negative. This is still one of my favorite games! I hope other people can chime in with their experiences so we can all learn from each other.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #83
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Thanks for the response, Gary. I am just trying to figure things out and I hope I didn't come across as too negative. This is still one of my favorite games! I hope other people can chime in with their experiences so we can all learn from each other.

I'm trying to do similar Sox, i've started 5 test leagues just to see how things mesh together.

So far i've taken the usual silly route of testing the AI trading algorithms etc..

I've assembled a couple of theoretical good young teams but have yet to take the step of actually trying to win a title.

It would be nice if a strategy board existed for discussions about tactics etc.. would be fun.

I've only found a single let's-play where a guy is trying to win with the Kings (after moving them to Seattle), he isn't far along though.

It takes time but i think the best thing to do, is pick an offensive style, stick with it, and see over the course of a season how individual player styles fit together. What guys get their shots, who doesn't etc.. and try to determine why they do or don't fit.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #84
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Sometimes you might hit on a great combination of players that outperforms your expectations - sometimes you have a group that seems like on paper they should be much better than they are. Just like in real life

I'm noticing this with my dynasty. Somehow the Manimal started off way outperforming what I expected when I signed him off the street just before season began.

He went down with a broken wrist, and even though he's been back a while, he's now part of the cog rather than a standout, and Andrew Wiggins, who I acquired at the same time, has suddenly started becoming the guy more often, like I hoped he'd be when I traded for him.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #85
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
I'm trying to do similar Sox, i've started 5 test leagues just to see how things mesh together.

So far i've taken the usual silly route of testing the AI trading algorithms etc..

I've assembled a couple of theoretical good young teams but have yet to take the step of actually trying to win a title.

It would be nice if a strategy board existed for discussions about tactics etc.. would be fun.

I've only found a single let's-play where a guy is trying to win with the Kings (after moving them to Seattle), he isn't far along though.

It takes time but i think the best thing to do, is pick an offensive style, stick with it, and see over the course of a season how individual player styles fit together. What guys get their shots, who doesn't etc.. and try to determine why they do or don't fit.

I would love it if people started talking strategies in our forums - you would be a great person to start there

There is a ton of data in the game to help you. If you look on the player card you can see a graphical shot chart to show you how a player is performing from every area of the floor. The insights page has lineup data for every lineup you use so you can maybe look and see if one player seems to be a weak link. You can of course compare the usual stats with your team and across the league.

You are right that you're going to have to choose a strategy (hopefully one that works for your players) and give it some time. Like you say you'll learn who is getting the shots, where they are coming from, etc and be able to figure out the kind of players that might work with that. That's one of the things I like best - it's not just "trade for the highest rated player"...you will have a need for a specific type of player and getting him will be the most effective thing you can do whereas you might bring in a better rated player but he might throw off everything if his strengths take over and the rest of the team isn't as effective as it was.