Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #2501
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
My wife and I have been binging Ozark the last few weeks. Currently on S3E7, so almost done. I really enjoyed the first season, but feel like it maybe jumped the shark in season 2. I really haven't cared for season 3, but perhaps the last few episodes will redeem it.

S1 & S2 were great. I do agree S3 went down somewhat but don't think it jumped the shark yet. The S3 finale had good tension.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #2502
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
My wife and I have been binging Ozark the last few weeks. Currently on S3E7, so almost done. I really enjoyed the first season, but feel like it maybe jumped the shark in season 2. I really haven't cared for season 3, but perhaps the last few episodes will redeem it.

I think the problem with binge watching 3-4-5 seasons of a show is it becomes repetitive. I think if you watched them a season at a time, or an episode once a week like old school, it seems less formulamatic. If thats a word
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #2503
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
S1 & S2 were great. I do agree S3 went down somewhat but don't think it jumped the shark yet. The S3 finale had good tension.

The final scene was great
Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #2504
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Debating between these 4 choices (note the theme that I didn't have time before to invest but now have a LOT of time and they are all loved)...

Try Ozark again. (Gave up around mid-season 1, some say it gets better later)
Try Westworld again. (Gave up around mid-season 1, some say it gets better)
Try Mad Men again (Gave up pretty early on, but have heard it gets good in later seasons)
Try The Crown (I really enjoyed Downton Abbey)

Wasn't sure if I just wasn't into these or if they all did start out slow and got better. Favorite shows if this helps The Wire, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Succession, Treme...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #2505
JPhillips
General Manager

The first two seasons of The Crown are great, the third is fine, but didn't have the season-long arc of the first two seasons.

I loved the first season of Westworld. The ending shows are great.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #2506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Westworld Season 1 is the best by far. Season 2 was terrible. Season 3 is better. It's been renewed for Season 4.

I love the Crown. It's fantastic stuff. I don't like the third season as much, but I think it's more because the new actress for the Queen isn't as good as the previous one (they basically have the same cast for 2 seasons and then recast, since they are moving through a bunch of decades). On the other hand, the new Prince Phillip is perfect (though I've always really liked Tobias Menzies).

Mad Men is excellent.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #2507
Jas_lov
College Starter

I'm just finishing Season 3 of The Crown. I also don't like the new actors as much as the ones in Seasons 1 and 2. What I don't get is why they changed actors. Season 2 ended in 1963 after JFK's assassination and Season 3 started in 1964. So they aged 20 years in 1 year?

And I like Michael C. Hall in Dexter and Six Feet Under but he was a horrible JFK. Didn't look or sound like him.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #2508
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Debating between these 4 choices (note the theme that I didn't have time before to invest but now have a LOT of time and they are all loved)...

Try Ozark again. (Gave up around mid-season 1, some say it gets better later)

I was in this same boat, but with the lockdown and no sports, started watching again 6 weeks ago and finished all the episodes in about a week and really enjoyed it so I'd recommend going back to it.
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #2509
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them. Probably go Crown (since I've never even seen it) and then Ozark/Westworld because they are shorter and finally Mad Men.

What's crazy is 10 years ago I could watch Lost, Breaking Bad, Dexter etc all at the same time (with the once a week episodes) but now I feel like I have to stream one show to it's completion at a time. Like I couldn't watch an episode of all 4 and then cycle. Does that make sense? (I don't even try the Hulu/Showtime/HBO once a week ones until they are done with their seasons) Am I crazy or do you guys feel the same way?
Old 05-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #2510
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I'm just finishing Season 3 of The Crown. I also don't like the new actors as much as the ones in Seasons 1 and 2. What I don't get is why they changed actors. Season 2 ended in 1963 after JFK's assassination and Season 3 started in 1964. So they aged 20 years in 1 year?

Season 3 went from 1964 to 1977. Claire Foy definitely didn't look like QE2 in the 70s. They are going through the 80s with these actors. Season 4 is going to have Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #2511
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's crazy is 10 years ago I could watch Lost, Breaking Bad, Dexter etc all at the same time (with the once a week episodes) but now I feel like I have to stream one show to it's completion at a time. Like I couldn't watch an episode of all 4 and then cycle. Does that make sense? (I don't even try the Hulu/Showtime/HBO once a week ones until they are done with their seasons) Am I crazy or do you guys feel the same way?

It's because they are made for binging as opposed to airing every week. The pacing is different for shows based on how they are intended to be aired.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #2512
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them. Probably go Crown (since I've never even seen it) and then Ozark/Westworld because they are shorter and finally Mad Men.

Have you tried Peaky Blinders?

5 seasons, 6 episodes per. Excellent acting and storylines and the music is amazing.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #2513
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Have you tried Peaky Blinders?

5 seasons, 6 episodes per. Excellent acting and storylines and the music is amazing.

Had it in my queue but kept seeing the 5 seasons and never really thought that as a British show that would only be 30 episodes and not 100 like the US. Will definitely add that to my list!
Old 05-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #2514
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Had it in my queue but kept seeing the 5 seasons and never really thought that as a British show that would only be 30 episodes and not 100 like the US. Will definitely add that to my list!

I do recommend watching with subtitles. The accents are a bit thick.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #2515
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's because they are made for binging as opposed to airing every week. The pacing is different for shows based on how they are intended to be aired.

Yeah and I get that for the newer shows but I even feel that way rewatching older shows like a Mad Men or Sopranos. I think streaming + my short attention span has changed how I watch tv.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #2516
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah and I get that for the newer shows but I even feel that way rewatching older shows like a Mad Men or Sopranos. I think streaming + my short attention span has changed how I watch tv.

Ahhh, that's interesting. When I watch older shows, usually I'm fine watching one or two shows a night and watching something else along with it. Like the wife and I have been watching Picard and Killing Eve back to back just about every weekend - KE was on cable and Picard kind of feels like it (with even strange cut to black between non-existent commercial breaks).

It's different watching something on Netflix or Amazon made for streaming, which just leads you into the next episode.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #2517
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We just started our free trial for CBS to watch Picard. Enjoying it 3 eps in - kindof TNG meets Blade Runner. It's not super awesome but it's good enough that we'll easily watch it all the way through.

What's the consensus on Discovery?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #2518
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What's the consensus on Discovery?

SI

Personally, I thought Season 1 was very good - takes a while to get the story going but once it does it's great. Season 2 was terrible - a muddled mess with an incoherent plot.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #2519
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Considering we have a 4 year old so we don't get to watch TV much, maybe just watching 1 season is the way to go. We'll see if we even get that far with only a month to watch.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #2520
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Westworld Season 1 is the best by far.

Yeah. If you don't like season 1, I doubt you'd like seasons 2 or 3.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #2521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Am I crazy or do you guys feel the same way?

Varies here.

Some things work better for straight binges, other stuff we do maybe 2 eps at a time & then come back after watching some other things in between before a couple more.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #2522
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The first two seasons of The Crown are great, the third is fine, but didn't have the season-long arc of the first two seasons.

Yup, really enjoyed The Crown. S3 not as much because different actors/actresses but thought the Charles story telling was pretty good.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #2523
Kodos
Resident Alien

Loved season 1 or Westworld, didn't enjoy season 2, and after 1 episode of season 3, wife is ready to give up. Me too, most likely.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #2524
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Loved season 1 or Westworld, didn't enjoy season 2, and after 1 episode of season 3, wife is ready to give up. Me too, most likely.

Same here except we didn't even make it through season 2 before we bailed.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #2525
Edward64
Head Coach

We watched Upload s1 this past week. I enjoyed it more than my wife. Its a neat concept and enjoyed the little "realism" with bugs, torrents, hacks etc.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #2526
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a final season of a show as I was with Brockmire. It was just so out there. Other shows have had worse final seasons but you could see it coming. This one was just out of left field. Pun intended.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #2527
Atocep
Coordinator

The Plot Against America is really good. It's a slow burn that leads up to an incredibly tense final episode. The casting is great. Amazing performances by Zoe Kazan, Morgan Spector, and John Turturro. I'm not sure how it compares to the book, but it made for a great series on HBO.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #2528
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone using Quibi? Some of these “shows” look kind of interesting
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #2529
JPhillips
General Manager

The clips I've seen from the Girl with the Golden Arm are amazingly awful.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #2530
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just finished the first season of "Sunderland Till I Die." Wow.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #2531
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Just finished the first season of "Sunderland Till I Die." Wow.

I really enjoyed this series. Both seasons were excellent (to watch). Would be tough to be a Sunderland fan.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #2532
JPhillips
General Manager

lol

I also watched that over the past two weeks. I was trying to think of an American equivalent and I thought maybe Buffalo?
Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #2533
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I really enjoyed this series. Both seasons were excellent (to watch). Would be tough to be a Sunderland fan.
I agree, but I love the passion. Heck, it makes me want to be a Sunderland supporter. Lord knows, I am quite familiar with hard luck teams.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #2534
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched season 1 of Into the Night, really enjoyed it. It's a french 6-part series disaster/post apocalypse movie set mostly in a passenger plane as a small group of survivors need to frantically keep a plane in the air as long as possible for reasons revealed in the first episode, however I won't spoil it.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #2535
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Not sure why but Netflix has been suggesting "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories" as something I might like for a while, I guess it noticed I watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" a year or two ago. Finally gave it a try on friday.

It's strange, 30 minute self-contained episodes, each one focusing on a different customer or two at a small overnight diner in a side street of a busy nightlife district of Tokyo. There's one character who appears in every episode (The Master, the diner's chef), and a handful of recurring characters (an old guy who sits at the bar, three gossiping women), but the main characters in each episode only appear in their own story then aren't seen again.

The further it's gone, the more I've liked it, I've got 1 episode to go in season one and Netflix has a second season.

Two thumbs up from me.

I watched a handful of these recently, and enjoyed them.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #2536
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I'm watching "A French Village" on hulu. WWII story about the German occupation of a small French town near the Vichy border. Almost through the second season, finding it pretty good.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #2537
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Season 4 of Workin Moms has really delivered. Such a quality show and Reitmans daughter is phenomenal.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #2538
stevew
Hall Of Famer

“Dave” on FXX is steaming on Hulu and is really raunchy funny. Created by the guy who created The League and Lil Dicky.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #2539
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
“Dave” on FXX is steaming on Hulu and is really raunchy funny. Created by the guy who created The League and Lil Dicky.

So a few weeks ago we were sitting around waiting to leave to go somewhere and threw Dave on to kill time. 4 episodes later we were leaving an hour later than originally intended.

On a side note, Barry is one of the few shows that starts off with a strong first season and then gets even better in season 2. It may be the best season of television I've watched this year.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-19-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #2540
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah. Barry is awesome. Def one of my faves.

Also watching “The Great”. It’s fairly decent.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #2541
GrantDawg

I loved "The Great." It was crazy fun. Just don't go in expecting any kind of historical accuracy. I think the only thing accurate is they have most of the names right, and it was in Russia.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #2542
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I would watch a series based on the movie "Dave"
Old 05-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #2543
Edward64
Head Coach

I really hope the series turns out great.

Not exactly sure what is planned for the US Space Force (other than launching secret satellites). It may be premature right now but there will likely be a need in the future as China, India and others are ramping up.

The Netflix Show The Pentagon Can’t Stop Talking About - POLITICO
Quote:
The United States Space Force can’t catch a break. The newest branch of the American military, first championed by President Donald Trump two years ago, tried to generate some serious headlines this month with its first recruiting commercial, an otherworldly 30-second spot summoning volunteers “to plan for the possible while it’s still impossible.”

Instead, it was ambushed by the trailer for Steve Carell’s much-awaited Netflix series “Space Force,” which came out just hours earlier (the recruiting ad racked up 17,000 likes on Twitter compared with the trailer’s 48,000).

In a country stuck at home watching TV, starved for new content, the absurd comedy is one of the more exciting cultural events of the season, a “The Office”-style lampooning stuffed with big names—Carell, Lisa Kudrow, John Malkovich, Jane Lynch, Noah Emmerich and Jimmy O. Yang of “Silicon Valley.” It’s fair to say that the first new military branch in 73 years is at serious risk of being eclipsed entirely by a workplace parody.

It might seem like the real Space Force, which has already been the target of more than its share of memes and jokes, would groan and dismiss it, but no: The show is already the watercooler chatter of the year among Pentagon brass and at the far-flung bases where the real Space Force is being carved out of the Air Force. Watch parties are being planned, and the real head of the Space Force recently even had some advice for the show, mainly that Carell should get a haircut.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #2544
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Would be tough to be a Sunderland fan.

As a Newcastle fan, I agree!

But also as a Newcastle fan, I've been avoiding this one. I just don't know if I could watch a documentary about our most hated rival. But I'm missing sports so much I'm starting to consider it.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #2545
Edward64
Head Coach

Been watching Netflix Van Helsing, currently at s1 ep8. Not zombies taking over the world but the next best thing with vampires. It isn't great acting but the story line is fun for me.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 PM   #2546
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

E Network has been showing reruns of Las Vegas. Such a great show
Old 05-29-2020, 12:31 AM   #2547
Edward64
Head Coach

Unfortunately I've been reading early critiques that "Space Force" is a disappointment.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #2548
tarcone
Coordinator

Been reading that about Space Force as well. But will try it.

Decided to get a free 7 day trial of HBO from Amazon because I wanted to watch Contagion.

I have been binging on some good movies. Hobbs and haw was really good. Finally watched the Deadwood movie. That was okay. Finally got to see Atomic Homefront which is absolutely chilling. I cannot believe the EPA is going to let that place do what it will eventually. And the clusters, oh my.
Joker was really good.

Those are the movies that stuck out. Good thing for Summer and having an excuse to stay at home.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #2549
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watch Chernobyl while you have HBO.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #2550
Edward64
Head Coach

Just finished Space Force ep 1. Didn't think it was that bad. It has promise and may get better.