Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #2701
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Finished Season 2 of The Wire. Liked it a lot better than S1! The politics involved were fascinating. But I still see as a very good show, but not best show ever. Will continue!

I think it's eventual expansion into the schools & kids is probably what makes it most unique/special for ostensibly a 'cops & robbers' show.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #2702
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I have since the beginning been interested in getting to the 'politics' part. I liked union politics in S2 (and realized police politics are in S1 and S2 - as Rawls cares far more about numbers than solving cases... as does Burrell.. and the Polish major, can't remember his name, just wants to act out his own grudge against Sobatka).
Old 07-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #2703
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Finished Season 2 of The Wire. Liked it a lot better than S1! The politics involved were fascinating. But I still see as a very good show, but not best show ever. Will continue!

What do you think is the best show ever? What shows do you think are better?

It gets better which is amazing considering how good the first 2 seasons were.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #2704
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone wants to watch a cute documentary on HULU with the family Superhero Dogs is really good.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #2705
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah if you like season 2's political arc I think after season 3 you may be on board as this being one of the best shows of all time. The politics and inner police workings are off the charts.

Last edited by panerd : 07-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #2706
JPhillips
General Manager

Season 4 is just brutal. I'm not sure any other TV has knocked me off-balance the way that season did.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:52 PM   #2707
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Desperados is totally not funny. Dunno why it’s stayed in the Netflix top 10.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #2708
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
What do you think is the best show ever? What shows do you think are better?

It gets better which is amazing considering how good the first 2 seasons were.

Among my top (drama) shows: Breaking Bad, The Leftovers, Sopranos, Mad Men, Deadwood. Well and the first 4 seasons of Game of Thrones.

I think I also mentioned that I watched Succesion at the same time as The Wire, and raced through Succession while leaving The Wire on the side for a bit. So I guess I really liked the first two seasons of Succession better than the first two seasons of The Wire as well.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-13-2020 at 09:29 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #2709
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah if you like season 2's political arc I think after season 3 you may be on board as this being one of the best shows of all time. The politics and inner police workings are off the charts.

I'd agree with this. Those 2 seasons put it over the top for me. Maybe not best of all time, but personal top 5
Old 07-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #2710
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Among my top (drama) shows: Breaking Bad, The Leftovers, Sopranos, Mad Men, Deadwood. Well and the first 4 seasons of Game of Thrones.

I think I also mentioned that I watched Succesion at the same time as The Wire, and raced through Succession while leaving The Wire on the side for a bit. So I guess I really liked the first two seasons of Succession better than the first two seasons of The Wire as well.
Speaking of shows that have an amazing first 4 seasons then a disappointing last one...

But yes, obviously the wire is amazing, and if you loved S1/2, S3/4 will be amazing too!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:01 PM   #2711
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
But yes, obviously the wire is amazing, and if you loved S1/2, S3/4 will be amazing too!

Liked, not loved
Old 07-14-2020, 06:14 AM   #2712
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Desperados is totally not funny. Dunno why it’s stayed in the Netflix top 10.
Eh. I won't say totally not funny. It made me laugh a couple of times. Overall, it wasn't great. The co-stars out shined the star, and there wasn't enough there for them. It felt like a made-for-tv movie.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #2713
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just finished watching Betty on HBO. It was surprisingly good. A quick 6 ep series (30mins each). Wouldn’t have thought a show about female skateboarders in modern day NYC would be so interesting. Glad to hear it has been renewed for a second season.

Also watching (very slowly, tbh) Killing Eve on Hulu. Just finished Season 1. Really enjoy the stylish spy v. spy narrative. And the villian is so freaking cool. I have to remember to continue watching it (binging a show on Hulu is a bit annoying since we have the ad version - comes with no added cost with my wife’s Sprint plan).
Old 07-15-2020, 12:32 AM   #2714
Groundhog
Coordinator

Finishing up season 2 of Save Me tonight, which I'd describe as a sort of working class British spin on Taken. Pretty much every character is flawed and the story gets very, very dark, but we can't stop watching.

Also started on season 6 of Bosch. Season 5 was probably my favorite so far.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:41 PM   #2715
JPhillips
General Manager

Giri/Haji is a really good crime series. Probably 50/50 or so English and Japanese with subtitles.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #2716
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Giri/Haji is a really good crime series. Probably 50/50 or so English and Japanese with subtitles.

I am right in the middle of that one. Good stuff.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #2717
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched Ford vs Ferrari on HBO.

I know that I enjoyed the movie when I google on fact vs fiction. Enjoyed the race & pit scenes.

Matt Damon, waiting on you to do the next Jason Bourne. Christian Bale, enjoyed your acting but not your real life so much.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:41 AM   #2718
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah we really enjoyed Giri/Haji also.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:58 AM   #2719
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Watched Ford vs Ferrari on HBO.

I thought this one was kind of a letdown. It looked great, but otherwise felt like a typical, flat, b-level 'true sports' treatment . I can't point to anything particularly cliched that stuck out, yet everything about the pacing and story arc felt like going to a fancy new amusement park I'd never been to before, only to find a roller coaster design that I had ridden a hundred times before.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-19-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #2720
Izulde
Head Coach

Finished Harlots this morning - 3 season period/costume piece about rival brothels. I loved it - a lot of intrigue, backstabbing, and machinations, in addition to some LOL moments. Treat it as popcorn entertainment and it gets even better (the convenience of character locations being in just the right spots at just the right moments gets a little ridiculous at times).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #2721
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Watched Ford v Ferrari back when it was in the theater and absolutely loved it. Though it may have helped that I am a racing fan and was somewhat familiar with the story before going in. It is one of the most famous events in motorsports and I was really happy they were able to do such a great job (even if they Hollywood-ed some of the racing)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-19-2020 at 08:42 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #2722
Atocep
Coordinator

So far I've enjoyed the Unsolved Mysteries reboot. It doesn't follow the same formula as the original and is more of a formulaic take on a modern true crime series, but it's still a good watch IMO.

Alone (Season 6 is available on Netflix and I believe all seasons are on Hulu) has become the show to throw on in our home when there doesn't seem to be anything to watch. The premise is 10 people are dropped off in an area miles apart and have to survive within their geo-fenced location. Seasons 1 and 2 were on Vancouver Island, Season 3 is Patagonia, and I know Season 5 is Mongolia and Season 6 is on the southern edge of the Arctic. It's basically a last person left wins type of competition. No voting out or anything like that, they just play until they quit or they're forced out for health reasons.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #2723
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We have done the first 3 seasons of alone. Really like it. Same as you we throw it on when nothing is on we can watch or have to focus on. Kids like it also.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:06 AM   #2724
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Finished Ozark. I liked it but it also seems quite derivative.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:47 AM   #2725
GrantDawg

Alone is excellent. We have been watching from the beginning of the series. I like formulas for Reality TV that doesn't feel like the whole thing is produced.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #2726
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

People are going to be pissed at me for this, I swear, but... Season 3 is starting to bore me (I'm 6 eps in). But Season 4, with the schools, is something I'm really interested in, so I'll tough it out, LOL.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #2727
AlexB
Pro Starter

Seasons 1,2 & 4 are my favourites, season 3 a clear 4th best, and season 5 jumps the shark for me
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #2728
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Alone is excellent. We have been watching from the beginning of the series. I like formulas for Reality TV that doesn't feel like the whole thing is produced.

I love Alone. The current season is a bit different in that they have a 100-day challenge for $1M instead of a "last one standing" wins. Someone has to last 100 days or no one wins.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-22-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #2729
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Seasons 1,2 & 4 are my favourites, season 3 a clear 4th best, and season 5 jumps the shark for me

Well that's good to know. A lot of people were praising S3 as one of the best seasons of the show. I liked S1 a decent amount, I thought S2 was better, and then was prepared for ok, this S3 is going to show why this is such a great show... and then...
Old 07-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #2730
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I really had issues with Season 5, as great as the rest of the show is. It's been many years since I've watched it, but from memory, I think my ranking of seasons goes something like 4-2-1/3-5, with 5 being far behind the others.

It's interesting that the consensus seems to have changed over the years regarding Season 2. I remember at one point it seemed like there were many people who were not fans. It seems people have come around more on it now. It's always been one of my favourites.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #2731
tarcone
Coordinator

Watching the series Fear City: New York vs. The Mafia

Watching the 1st season. If you like mobster stuff you will really like this one.

Good documentary. Talks to former FBI guys and mob guys and their battle.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:25 AM   #2732
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just got to the end of the first season of Yellowstone, and going to dive into Season 2 shortly. Good drama, really serious stuff, lots of messed ip people. I have a question I will spoiler.

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-27-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #2733
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So we started watching Warrior Nun and Cursed - as Netflix decides to get into CW sort of shows, but with extra gore for some strange reason? Only saw the pilot of Warrior Nun and seemed a bit too ridiculous. Cursed seemed more interesting as a telling of the King Arthur story. Though kind of interesting to have the main villains be obviously Christian fanatics.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #2734
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Just got to the end of the first season of Yellowstone, and going to dive into Season 2 shortly. Good drama, really serious stuff, lots of messed ip people. I have a question I will spoiler.

I saw an ad for Yellowstone, thought it looked quite good, checked justwatch.com to see what streaming service it was on. 5 minutes later I started up my AppleTV and it's "suggested for you" was three episodes of Yellowstone. So I'm not watching it to prove to The Man that I'm not so easily influenced.

It does look good though.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #2735
GrantDawg

Quote:
So we started watching Warrior Nun and Cursed - as Netflix decides to get into CW sort of shows, but with extra gore for some strange reason? Only saw the pilot of Warrior Nun and seemed a bit too ridiculous. Cursed seemed more interesting as a telling of the King Arthur story. Though kind of interesting to have the main villains be obviously Christian fanatics.
I will say Cursed was ok. It was very teen angst-y and not very deep.

Yellowstone was just too dark. I made it through several episodes, but there was just no one likable in the whole show. A show like Succession can get away with that because of the fun element to it. There is nothing fun or interesting about Yellowstone.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #2736
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Finished Season 3 of The Wire - the end of the season saved the season IMO. Poor Colvin. He was really onto something, but politics being what it is. the
Spoiler
was a real surprise!

Time to visit the school kids in Season 4.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #2737
Groundhog
Coordinator

2/3rds through season one of Dark on netflix. Not quite sure what genre to call it, but Stephen King mentioning it on Twitter was what started me watching it, so that might give you an idea - dark, German sci fi/fantasy set in the modern day as well as 33 years ago. Can be a bit confusing at times but our patience has been rewarded so far.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #2738
bob
College Starter

Need to replace my Roku since the latest update seems to have killed it. I can't stream for more than three minutes without it kicking me out to the home menu, regardless of channel.

Have a Fire Stick on another TV but open to other options. Suggestions?

Related: What do you guys think the reasonable lifetime for one of these devices should be? I haven't had this device online for a few months until Saturday (long story), when it worked fine. It updated to the latest version (9.3.0) overnight that night and has issues since. Reboot, reinstall, factory reset... no luck. Seems like this has been reported to Roku as far back as June and no response.

Last edited by bob : 08-05-2020 at 06:23 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #2739
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Need to replace my Roku since the latest update seems to have killed it. I can't stream for more than three minutes without it kicking me out to the home menu, regardless of channel.

Related: What do you guys think the reasonable lifetime for one of these devices should be? I haven't had this device online for a few months until Saturday (long story), when it worked fine. It updated to the latest version (9.3.0) overnight that night and has issues since. Reboot, reinstall, factory reset... no luck. Seems like this has been reported to Roku as far back as June and no response.

I cut the cord in April of 2015 and I am still using the 2 Roku players that I bought then.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #2740
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So is anyone here going to pay $30 to watch the live action Mulan movie on Disney Plus?
Old 08-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #2741
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So is anyone here going to pay $30 to watch the live action Mulan movie on Disney Plus?

Probably. We would have seen it in the theater for a lot more.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #2742
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was going to watch it when it hit D+ eventually. Now, I wonder if that happens.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #2743
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Probably. We would have seen it in the theater for a lot more.

It's going to be very useful for families. I know of people who scoffed at the $30 charge, but it seems like those people don't have kids or know of some really cheap theaters.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #2744
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It's going to be very useful for families. I know of people who scoffed at the $30 charge, but it seems like those people don't have kids or know of some really cheap theaters.

Exactly. We did it with Trolls world tour and one other I can’t remember. I think this model could catch on and really hurt the theater industry. My kids really don’t care if they see it in the theater or at home, as long as they have candy and popcorn. Anyone complaining about this doesn’t understand the economics of taking a family to the movies. It’s easily close to $100 day. If we grab lunch our before and let them each bring a friend closer to $200.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #2745
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It was briefly mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread, but "Norsemen" on Netflix is hilarious. The setting is a Norwegian viking colony in the 900s, but they speak using modern language. Has a real Monty Python crossed with The Office feel to it. It is easy to binge watch, three seasons of 6-8 episodes each.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #2746
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Here is the issue I have on my device. See as it was reported months ago without fix, I guess they aren’t going to bother and I’m not going to buy another Roku:

400 Bad Request
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #2747
stevew
Hall Of Famer

30$ for unlimited viewings as long as you subscribe to Disney + isn’t all that bad. I rarely go to the movies so I’ve passed on all the Home Debut stuff so far. I do rent stuff in the $5-6 on demand category 1-2 times a month
Old 08-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #2748
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My Dad’s roku didn’t support the MLB app any more so he had to get a new one. Right now Roku has an fees dispute issue with HBO Max. I have a roku Sharp TV and a Roku sound bar on my older set. They better unfuck this quickly.

Last edited by stevew : 08-06-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #2749
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, we will definitely rent it. It's a bargain if our whole family watches it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #2750
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Yeah, we will definitely rent it. It's a bargain if our whole family watches it.

Apparently you own it as long as you subscribe to Disney plus, so it is an even better deal.