Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #2801
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Carol Baskin is going to be on the next season of Dancing With The Stars. Brilliant. Wonder if she will kill her partner.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #2802
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wife and I watching Sons of Anarchy. Really like it. In season 5 and we just got to a huge death and my wife is a puddle.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #2803
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Carol Baskin is going to be on the next season of Dancing With The Stars. Brilliant. Wonder if she will kill her partner.
I wasn't going to watch it before, but now that Carol Baskins will be in it I am going to turn the channel if a commercial for it comes on.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #2804
Edward64
Head Coach

I started watching "Tree of Life" because of the primo casting and the good reviews but couldn't get past the first 15-20 min. Boring as heck.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #2805
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I wasn't going to watch it before, but now that Carol Baskins will be in it I am going to turn the channel if a commercial for it comes on.

They should force her to dance to the Carol Baskins Song.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #2806
Edward64
Head Coach

Anyone planning to pay the $30 to watch Mulan? Let us know if it was worth it if you do.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #2807
Edward64
Head Coach

Netflix has "Away" about 5 astronauts going to Mars. Watched 3 episodes so far and enjoying it. IMO it's nicely balanced between character development (a tad too much about main character's kid though) and the crisis that pop up on their journey.

Highly recommended for anyone into sci-fi and space travel.

And The Boys s2 is out. Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-05-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #2808
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Anyone planning to pay the $30 to watch Mulan? Let us know if it was worth it if you do.

We may today.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #2809
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Netflix has "Away" about 5 astronauts going to Mars. Watched 3 episodes so far and enjoying it. IMO it's nicely balanced between character development (a tad too much about main character's kid though) and the crisis that pop up on their journey.

Highly recommended for anyone into sci-fi and space travel.

And The Boys s2 is out. Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

In case you didn't know, they only released 3 episodes of The Boys. They are releasing the rest weekly.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #2810
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
In case you didn't know, they only released 3 episodes of The Boys. They are releasing the rest weekly.

Thanks. No I did not know. I may wait the 8-12 weeks until its all available.

Finished "Away" s1. There was still too much about the kid but everything else was pretty good albeit somewhat predictable.

However, if NASA really runs their missions like in this series (hopefully not!), if the astronauts are this dysfunctional/undisciplined, inadequate backup systems, lack of readily available Plan C & D etc. we'll never make it to Mars.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #2811
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

It was really well done. The whole family liked it. A few concepts had to be explained to the 7 year old, but well worth it.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:51 AM   #2812
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It was really well done. The whole family liked it. A few concepts had to be explained to the 7 year old, but well worth it.

Thanks.

I'm personally not that interested (if it was Top Gun 2, yeah I would pay it). It's the wife's call.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #2813
Groundhog
Coordinator

I would have liked Mulan better if I hadn't seen Hero back in 2002. For me it was probably a 5 or 6 out of 10, and I would have preferred to just watch an early Wuxia film rather than a lite Disney take on the genre.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #2814
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The way I look at these movies being released for $30, Mulan, Trolls 2, etc...it is still cheaper than it would be in the theater and we would have gone to see them.

In the case of Mulan we can watch it anytime now. If you wait and don't pay the $30 you have to wait until 12/4.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #2815
tarcone
Coordinator

The animated version is my favorite Disney movie. I dont think a live action version is going to impress me as much as the animated version. And I can wait 3 months. This movie is not the greatest movie of all time that you must see RIGHT NOW.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #2816
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We usually go to the movies 1-2 a month so with a 7 and 10 year old we are starving for any new content like the real thing. We make popcorn, the off the lights, get candy, etc.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #2817
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And I can wait 3 months. This movie is not the greatest movie of all time that you must see RIGHT NOW.

My thoughts also but if you have kids at that "age", I think it'll be worth it.

I say this as I look at my DVD/BR collection of kids movies that will unlikely be watched again until there are grandkids.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #2818
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I finished the first season of that new Perry Mason. It was OK, all the acting was good but the conclusion was unsatisfying, which seems fitting, in its own way, for Opposite Perry Mason.

...I also want to reiterate how unnecessarily dark this show was. A dead baby with its eyes sewn open is a prominent character, from like 5 minutes into episode one, until the end.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-06-2020 at 12:07 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #2819
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’ve been watching Band of Brothers this last week - I’d seen the first 2-3 episodes before, but never the whole thing.

Just seen Episode 9 - Why We Fight, where they discover the concentration camp... Wow. My eyes are still tearing up half an hour after it ended.

I’ve been to two camps in the past, one as a teenager and then Auschwitz earlier this year, but seeing it in colour and with characters that I ‘knew’ has knocked me for six

It might be the single best hour of TV I have ever seen
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #2820
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I’ve been watching Band of Brothers this last week - I’d seen the first 2-3 episodes before, but never the whole thing.

Just seen Episode 9 - Why We Fight, where they discover the concentration camp... Wow. My eyes are still tearing up half an hour after it ended.

I’ve been to two camps in the past, one as a teenager and then Auschwitz earlier this year, but seeing it in colour and with characters that I ‘knew’ has knocked me for six

Love the series and remember that episode. They had the towns people go to see the camp and help clean up.

FWIW, in the first set of episodes they were training at Camp Toccoa which is near Toccoa, GA (north-easterly from Atlanta). Been to Toccoa but didn't know the tie in until later, otherwise I would have visited Currahee Mountain.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #2821
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Love the series and remember that episode. They had the towns people go to see the camp and help clean up.

FWIW, in the first set of episodes they were training at Camp Toccoa which is near Toccoa, GA (north-easterly from Atlanta). Been to Toccoa but didn't know the tie in until later, otherwise I would have visited Currahee Mountain.

I live about 15 miles from Aldbourne, where Easy were based in the UK, and even closer to Chilton Foliat, where Captain Sodel (Ross from Friends) was reassigned for paratrooper training - Chilton Foliat is a village I regularly go through on bike rides.

FWIW I also regularly ride/run around Greenham Common, which is only a mile from home, and was the old US base where they had about two thirds of the US nuclear weapons in the UK.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #2822
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I live about 15 miles from Aldbourne, where Easy were based in the UK, and even closer to Chilton Foliat, where Captain Sodel (Ross from Friends) was reassigned for paratrooper training - Chilton Foliat is a village I regularly go through on bike rides.

FWIW I also regularly ride/run around Greenham Common, which is only a mile from home, and was the old US base where they had about two thirds of the US nuclear weapons in the UK.

I remember the "laundry service" part where the soldier went to pick up his stuff and was asked to take the laundry of the other service men that died.

You've made me want to watch the series (and the Pacific War one) all over again.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #2823
AlexB
Pro Starter

The Pacific was indeed also amazing - I ended up buying A Helmet For My Pillow and With The Old Breed, and they were very much worth reading, even after watching the series.

When visiting the WW1 battlefields last year, I picked up a book called Somme Mud by Edward Lynch, which is also worth a read
Old 09-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #2824
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

The last episode has got me too. Not in the same way, but I’m a bit teary again...
Old 09-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #2825
JPhillips
General Manager

Richard Jewell isn't a great movie, but Paul Walter Hauser is really great as Richard.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #2826
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched Hari-Kiri (remake from a 60's classic). It was slow going but I stuck with it and enjoyed it. Not ultra violent with a bunch of killing but probably not one to watch with the wife.

Same guy made 13 Assassins but they are 2 completely different films. Have to re-watch 13 Assassins soon.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #2827
whomario
Pro Starter

Half an episode im I can already say that "Challenger" is both really well done and insanely tough to watch ...
There were other attempts of disseminating it (Like within the docu Series "when we left earth" ) but not quite with this attention to detail.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #2828
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished watching Away s1. Above average series and will definitely watch s2.

Again, way too much on the kid dynamics but enjoying each astronaut's backstory.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #2829
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Anyone watch I'm Thinking Of Ending Things?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #2830
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Richard Jewell isn't a great movie, but Paul Walter Hauser is really great as Richard.

Yeah, I thought it was absurd that Kathy Bates got the Oscar nomination for what I felt was a typical performance at best. The stuff with Olivia Wilde and Jon Hamm was so ridiculously one note. But Hauser and some of the individual sequences were terrific.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #2831
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching the new Blacklist season, I've not seen a "dip" in writing through s1-s7 so it's pretty consistent to me. Enjoying it but am getting tired of the twist and turns re: Red's background.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-20-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #2832
AnalBumCover
College Starter

For the tweens in your family, Julie and the Phantoms on Netflix is a fun series to watch. From the director of High School Musical and Descendants.

The musical performances are put together well, and the comedic chemistry between the main characters work here, even in the most subtle moments.

My 9yo has already played through the series twice and I'm sure has memorized all the lyrics by now.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #2833
Edward64
Head Coach

STNG - The Inner Light. Surely one of the top 10 Star Trek episodes ever, it's the one that I remember to this day.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #2834
RainMaker
General Manager

Mentioned this in the TV thread but it sucks.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #2835
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Watched Hari-Kiri (remake from a 60's classic). It was slow going but I stuck with it and enjoyed it. Not ultra violent with a bunch of killing but probably not one to watch with the wife.

Same guy made 13 Assassins but they are 2 completely different films. Have to re-watch 13 Assassins soon.

Didn't even know this existed. The original is one of my favourite revenge stories, I'll track down the remake - thanks!
Old 09-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #2836
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is the 2012 Hari-Kiri from Takashi Miike, yes? I got intrigued and looked it up and was like "wait I've seen that". It's decent enough...higher production values and less interesting than most of Miike's stuff.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #2837
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry, I forget if it was Prime, Netflix or HBO. It's one of those 3 where I found it by just looking at "others have also watched". Boring as heck for the first 20 min or so and could have done with a little more action. But still good.

Glad to find other "samurai" genre fans. FWIW, I loved the last 30 min and the Lucy Liu fight scene of Kill Bill vol 1 starting with

https://youtu.be/Xb_rVO7H3g0

Fantastic movie (vol 2 sucked) and it was great they brought back some old MA legends. Only big problems I had was David Carradine (even more so after circumstances of his death) and the initial wake up from coma scene.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #2838
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am concurrently watching The Boys, Lovecraft Country & The Umbrella Academy and it's all running together into a single bizarre fever dream about superpowered occult racists in the 60s.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #2839
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I am concurrently watching The Boys, Lovecraft Country & The Umbrella Academy and it's all running together into a single bizarre fever dream about superpowered occult racists in the 60s.

The exact three shows I'm currently watching, though I finished off Umbrella Academy before I started of Season 2 of The Boys. Adding Fargo as of this Sunday!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #2840
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am at least a season behind on Fargo.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #2841
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, Lovecraft County, by itself, is indeed about superpowered occult racist in the 60s.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #2842
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So I'm watching Raised by Wolves, The Boys, Lovecraft County, and Ted Lasso as my weekly shows.

And am binging (well, I consider watching an episode every night or so to be good enough for binging): Better Call Saul, Woke (the new Hulu show), and Community (a rewatch).

Just finished Parks and Recreation for the first time. That was hilarious. I'm just pissed that when it came out I stopped watching in Season 2 because I thought it wasn't going to get any better. I also loved all the Biden cameos/jokes considering the 2020 election.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #2843
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just plowed through 5 seasons of BCS.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #2844
Edward64
Head Coach

Started watching Santa Clarita Diet w/Drew Barrymore and enjoying it.

Light hearted zombie genre.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #2845
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Started watching Santa Clarita Diet w/Drew Barrymore and enjoying it.

Light hearted zombie genre.

One of my favorite Netflix shows. Well written and overall just well done. It's not groundbreaking or anything, just fun to watch.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #2846
JPhillips
General Manager

Timothy Oliphant is very watchable. Somebody needs to get him and Walton Goggins back together.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:42 AM   #2847
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone had Hulu skip large sections of episodes? I was watching Fargo s2 pretty passively. And I noticed I was on episode 7 already and tbh it didn’t make much sense. Seems like it’s skipping the middle parts of episodes or something.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 AM   #2848
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Teenage Bounty Hunters was a super fun romp.

The Comey Rule was interesting retelling of James Comey's tenor as FBI director.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-02-2020 at 05:36 AM. Reason: I responded to stevew without understanding what he posted.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #2849
Icy
Pro Starter

I just started watching Cobra Kay as I wanted something light to watch while i was running in the treadmill. I must admit that I'm really surprised and ended watching 3 chapters.

Of course on the surface it's just the same scheme of the old movie but I like the nostalgia touch for these of us that watch the original as kids but also a good parody of today's kids and parenting and the current society generating soft kids. To see it form the "bad" guy eyes is also a fun twist, didn't thought I'd like or recommend this show.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #2850
Edward64
Head Coach

Started watching Van Helsing s4. Not great acting, not great plot etc. but somewhat entertaining and close enough to the zombie genre.