Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #951
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
We are around 2 months away from the Steam Summer Sale. Last year it started in mid July.

Amazon.com has a huge sale on right now, so that might be worth checking out.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. Starting thinking about Steam sales after seeing that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #952
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Now that Dragon's Lair has been greenlit, it is currently on sale for $8.99, a buck off the normal price -definitely picking it up, remember playing the hell out of the arcade version.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #953
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, that's why I was asking. Starting thinking about Steam sales after seeing that.

I hope that the new Steam trading cards and profile levels is a sign there will be something like the summer camp this year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #954
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Grrrrrr ...

After a long layoff I got back into an old HOI2 campaign I never completed. Been playing most nights for the past week. Played again Sat nite/Sun morning.

Open up Steam a little while ago, only to find my Play button replace by an Install Game button ... despite the fact that right underneath that it tells me I've played the game 218 hours so far, last played yesterday.

So unless my reboot magically unfucks things, I'm facing an estimated download of over 7 hours in order to get the files to install a GAME I JUST FUCKING PLAYED YESTERDAY ! And that Steam obviously KNOWS I've played (and obviously would have had to already f'n install in order to play in the first @#$^@$ place)

WTF?!?

So help me, I despise all this d'loadable games bullshit with most of the fibers of my being.

edit: Well at least that 7+ hours thing might not be quite that bad, that's apparently the dial-up speed projection or something.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-20-2013 at 01:18 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #955
SackAttack
Head Coach

The hours thing tracks the amount of time your account has played the game, Jon. My account shows the life-to-date play for Beyond the Sword, for example, despite the fact that it has never been installed on this desktop, and it shows the last time I played it on my laptop on January 10.

That it tracks the 218 hours doesn't mean anything for your install.

What I wonder is if Steam game installations on Windows 7/8 are tied to the account (I know some individual non-DRM games will ask if I want to install just to this account or make them available to all users) and so it wasn't showing up as installed on the account you were logged into. Does the family use the same login for everybody?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #956
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
What I wonder is if Steam game installations on Windows 7/8 are tied to the account (I know some individual non-DRM games will ask if I want to install just to this account or make them available to all users) and so it wasn't showing up as installed on the account you were logged into. Does the family use the same login for everybody?

I'm still on XP.

But this was logged into my same ol' account. My son's is separate & I don't know his log-in off hand even if I wanted to log in as him ... but I did check to make sure he hadn't used mine or something, nope, was just my usual same ol' me.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #957
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I've had the same thing happen with Total War Shogun 2. I think it was a 16GB download even though I had previously installed and played the game.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #958
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've had that happen too but never with a game so big.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #959
Tasan
College Starter

Check the steam directories for the install file maybe.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #960
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Might try renaming the ClientRegistry file in the Steam directory to ClientRegistryOld or something and restart Steam.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #961
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In the end, I let it do an install overnight. From what I could tell few (if any) files were actually d'loaded but the process labeled "confirming existing files" or something like that took at least 2+ hours.

The game seems to be okay, the saves all seem intact ... but now the blasted game (which is in its 9th year of the war in Aug '48) surges to 100% CPU usage at the end of a day & basically hangs there until it finally crashes. The rollover from one day to the next had been getting slower & slower in my last couple of sessions, I'm going to try again but release control of U.S. forces back to them (I'm playing as U.K.) in hopes that might help (I only assumed control of them a few game days ago).

I don't think the two problems are necessarily related, but it's danged frustrating.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #962
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone tried the game REUS yet?

I am in love with this game so far. It is like Civilization meets Populous meets some puzzle game.

It is on sale for only $8.95 and seems very well done from the time I have had playing it.

I think the game has a website reusgame.com that has more info on it as well. Basically you have control of four element giants/gods/whatever (Swamp, Forest, Rock and ocean) that you use to terraform the land in various combinations that create different environments. By planting various combinations of plants or minerals or animals or whatnot, you get different outcomes from the villages that develop. Be careful though, if one village becomes a little too prosperous, they can become quite greedy and start waging war on the other villages (or even on your giants).

I have only played about an hour or so, but really enjoying it so far, especially at the cheap price.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #963
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Has anyone tried the game REUS yet?

I am in love with this game so far. It is like Civilization meets Populous meets some puzzle game.

It is on sale for only $8.95 and seems very well done from the time I have had playing it.

I think the game has a website reusgame.com that has more info on it as well. Basically you have control of four element giants/gods/whatever (Swamp, Forest, Rock and ocean) that you use to terraform the land in various combinations that create different environments. By planting various combinations of plants or minerals or animals or whatnot, you get different outcomes from the villages that develop. Be careful though, if one village becomes a little too prosperous, they can become quite greedy and start waging war on the other villages (or even on your giants).

I have only played about an hour or so, but really enjoying it so far, especially at the cheap price.

Glad you like it Alan.

I read a bunch of reviews and the general consensus was that it was cute, but more a puzzle game than a God game and didn't have a great deal of depth. I love the art direction, though.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #964
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing?

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #965
mckerney
Coordinator

It looks interesting and I saw a video from the beta that looked alright, though not being able to find any reviews on release day is kind of a red flag. If it sounds alright from reviews I think I'll pick it up on sale since I'm still playing through Torchlight 2, haven't finished Path of Exile and have Grim Dawn coming down the road all in the same genre.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #966
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
haven't finished Path of Exile

Finished in terms of the first difficulty setting or all of them?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #967
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Finished in terms of the first difficulty setting or all of them?

First playthrough. Add often happens with me and other games Dota 2 distracted me and I haven't been back to finish it yet.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #968
mckerney
Coordinator

And then around that same time Runner2, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite happened.

Also, Diablo 3 may have burned me out and turned me off bingeing on the hack and slash genre for a while as I'm still slowly working my way through TL2.

Plus I'm horrible at finishing most of the games I start in a timely manner in general.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #969
Icy
Pro Starter

I have two Rising Storm beta passes to give away, it's based on Red Orchestra 2 (WWII Multiplayer FPS) but on the Pacific theater.

If you guys want them, just send me a PM with your steam user.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #970
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
First playthrough. Add often happens with me and other games Dota 2 distracted me and I haven't been back to finish it yet.

I'm officially about half through all three difficulty settings. My plan was to burn through the rest during my break from school but I've been doing other stuff. My Ranger might get caught up and pass them as well. Cruel is definitely harder so I'm not real excited about Merciless. I do see why people farm Fellshire on higher difficulty settings though.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #971
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Disappointing Mem Weekend Steam!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #972
mckerney
Coordinator

The Sleeping Dogs for $12.49 deals is pretty good.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #973
mckerney
Coordinator

Err, or it would be if GMG didn't have it for $8.49.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e...mited-edition/

Tomb Raider for $16.99 from them is a great deal too.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e...n/tomb-raider/

And a 20% off code for GMG GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ

Last edited by mckerney : 05-25-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #974
frnk55
High School Varsity

Any impressions on Call of Juarez? Looks like a fun shooter.
And it's only 14.99

Last edited by frnk55 : 05-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #975
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
For those who haven't picked up FM '13 yet, it is $13.60 for the next 23.5 hours.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #976
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Glad you like it Alan.

I read a bunch of reviews and the general consensus was that it was cute, but more a puzzle game than a God game and didn't have a great deal of depth. I love the art direction, though.

Have you tried Skyward Collapse yet? Been seeing some great reviews for it so far and it is $5 on Steam. It's a turn based God game where you need to keep two societies prosperous and prevent them from destroying each other.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #977
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Any impressions on Call of Juarez? Looks like a fun shooter.
And it's only 14.99

I just beat it this evening, it's a pretty good game. Solid shooting mechanics and, looks pretty good and does a great job with the wild west setting. It's real strength is the story telling of the campaign mode. You play a famed bounty hunter who is reliving his previous exploits by telling the story of his past in a bar. The narration and banter with other patrons it great and definitely makes the campaign worth while. The campaign lasts about 5 to 6 hours, has a new game plus at the end, an arcade mode where you play through the games levels in a short score attack mode, and gun duels mode which is the weakest part of the campaign.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #978
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Have you tried Skyward Collapse yet? Been seeing some great reviews for it so far and it is $5 on Steam. It's a turn based God game where you need to keep two societies prosperous and prevent them from destroying each other.

I gave it a brief shot but it didn't have much appeal for me. Perhaps I didn't play it long enough, because I really didn't understand what was going on, how units spawned and so forth.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #979
korme
Go Reds

So, I just downloaded Steam since I landed a copy of FM13 (kudos to EF). Do I have to load Steam to play the game every time? It also estimates the download will take 7 hours - is that normal? How do mods/add-ons work? Can I download them like any other game I've owned or do I have to go thru Steam somehow?

/newbie
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #980
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
So, I just downloaded Steam since I landed a copy of FM13 (kudos to EF). Do I have to load Steam to play the game every time? It also estimates the download will take 7 hours - is that normal? How do mods/add-ons work? Can I download them like any other game I've owned or do I have to go thru Steam somehow?

/newbie

1. You can play offline, but you do have to run it through Steam. You can create a FM13 shortcut on your desktop via Steam to make it easier.

2. First download is a big one and depends on your internet connection. It will adjust once it starts downloading. First estimate is based on what connection you told Steam you had.

3. You can download mods directly into the game folder and don't have to do it through Steam if you don't want to do so.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #981
korme
Go Reds

Thanks. The download actually only took about 20 mins - I just have lowballed my internet connection.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #982
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Picked up Prison Architect from Steam. The game is only in Alpha but there is a charm to this game that brought me to purchase it. I haven't put a lot of time into it, but it definitely has my attention.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #983
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Picked up Prison Architect from Steam. The game is only in Alpha but there is a charm to this game that brought me to purchase it. I haven't put a lot of time into it, but it definitely has my attention.

Thinking about buying the game. Looks like fun to me.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #984
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Thinking about buying the game. Looks like fun to me.

I also gave this a test drive. It has charm, but the version I played (which was like v6) wasn't much fun. The sounds and the lack of prisioner control quickly became annoying.

Every game was the same. Prisioners didn't use areas like the library or other rec areas even though I had ample time budgeted to those activities, so they grew restless. They'd then destroy the kitchen area, which made for hungry annoyed prisoners, so they became more restless. Whoopie. I never could figure out to make a satisfied prisioner because of the mechanics of the game, not because they didn't have access to stuff. Also, after a while the money only trickled in, resulting in long waits between building projects. So I'd go read some out of a book while the money built back up. Whee.

There's probably a good game there, but the version I played just wasn't there yet. Given that the deveoper is charging pretty tidy sum for it ($27) as compared to many other indie games, I just figured it was better to wait until it was done and polished.

As always, YMMV
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #985
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm keeping an eye on it. I hate these early access games.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #986
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There's probably a good game there, but the version I played just wasn't there yet. Given that the deveoper is charging pretty tidy sum for it ($27) as compared to many other indie games, I just figured it was better to wait until it was done and polished.

As always, YMMV

That's my hangup as well right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the release price was the same as the current price. It should be a discounted amount if you're going to sell it in alpha stage.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #987
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Here's a video of IGN with a Let's Play of Prison Architect. The price is definitely a little steep.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #988
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

A buddy gifted me xcom, what a fantastic game this is!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #989
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
A buddy gifted me xcom, what a fantastic game this is!

XCom and Distant Worlds in the same week?

GAMEGASIMMMM!!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #990
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
XCom and Distant Worlds in the same week?

GAMEGASIMMMM!!!!!

No doubt.. keeps me out of trouble though.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #991
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't understand why they haven't released any worthwhile DLC for XCom. I've played through the game 3 times, I'm hungry for more. I don't think I'm alone.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #992
spleen1015
Coordinator

Bought the cheap version of Prison Architect yesterday. There is a certain something about this game that gives it a little charm. Since it is still in alpha, it is hard to say where the game lands. The devs are listening to feedback and some of the changes they have made are making the game better.

Since the game is in alpha, you have to expect bugs and issues.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #993
Icy
Pro Starter

For anybody interested, i have a copy of War of the Roses to give away.

It's basically an medieval FPS based on the War of the Roses, you create your knight and fight with sword, arch, etc. Think call of duty of the medieval age.

It has been developed by some ex-warband programmers and it's a fun game, but the number of online players is not that great, so i guess that is why they started to give away game keys to current players to invite others, and i received one today.

It's only multiplayer, no single player besides a tutorial.

PM me your steam username and add me (IcySpanish) as friend if you haven't already.

Last edited by Icy : 06-13-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #994
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So WTF is 'Planetary Annihilation' and why is it $89.99 on Steam in an Alpha test phase?????
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #995
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
So WTF is 'Planetary Annihilation' and why is it $89.99 on Steam in an Alpha test phase?????

Because that was the pledge level required to get access to the alpha on kickstarter. The price will drop as it reaches beta and release.

As far as other reasons why it would cost more for the alpha, the Prison Architect developers priced their alpha higher than they planned selling the final game for because they wanted a smaller group they'd get better feedback from instead of people who would buy it at a lower price and then angrily complain about things not working.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #996
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The game's page kind of explains all of that...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #997
RendeR
Coordinator

Reading, not just for bookworms anymore.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #998
mckerney
Coordinator

News on some big upcoming releases:
  • Shadowrun Returns finally has an official release date, it will be out July 25th. Also of note is that some backers got early access to the editor of the game and are using it to remake the SNES game as a custom campaign.
  • Also in July but without a date yet, Skulls of the Shogun is getting a proper PC release.
  • Joe Danger and Joe Danger: The Movie will be out on Steam June 24th[/b]
  • It's not up on the Steam store yet, but GMG has Mortal Kombat 9 releasing on July 9th.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #999
whomario
Pro Starter

Paradox is running a sale on steam this weekend.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #1000
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play "Gunpoint" yet? I've read some great reviews about it.