Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2023, 08:59 AM   #551
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

hXXps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fsy0GOmWIAAw_nD?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Belichick is the greatest coach of all time.

But taking a really promising rookie QB and completely destroying his second year of development by giving him clown car offensive coaching is perhaps a bottom-five coaching decision that I've ever seen.

I had to see this chart to remind myself "Oh yeah, Mac Jones was actually really good as a rookie."

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-03-2023 at 11:03 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:00 AM   #552
QuikSand
lolzcat

...trying to edit down the size of that graphic, failing thus far
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #553
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
...trying to edit down the size of that graphic, failing thus far

I can make it go away
Old 04-04-2023, 03:26 PM   #554
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thomkal!

Your beloved Cards:

Former Cardinals executive Terry McDonough accuses owner Michael Bidwill of cheating - ProFootballTalk
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:39 PM   #555
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

There's a link to the full Cardinal response to the allegations in that article, and they are going in detail about McDonough-stuff that is going to be hard to dispute. At first glance, he sounds like he's been troubled and difficult to work with for a while, and with the change in GM/coach, it seemed like a good time to show him the door.

400 Bad Request

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-04-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:35 PM   #556
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
There's a link to the full Cardinal response to the allegations in that article, and they are going in detail about McDonough-stuff that is going to be hard to dispute. At first glance, he sounds like he's been troubled and difficult to work with for a while, and with the change in GM/coach, it seemed like a good time to show him the door.

400 Bad Request

may have to change my mind about this after reading more-Bidwells look way worse here
Old 04-05-2023, 01:37 PM   #557
Thomkal
Head Coach

And now some good news for my beloved Cards: They are getting new uniforms for the upcoming season!
Old 04-09-2023, 05:07 PM   #558
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Updating on QBs, with expected starter, primary backup, expectations based on salaries or obvious first-contract situations, draft position mentioned if team has a higher pick and some expectation to go with a QB.

AFC East: BUF - J.Allen/K.Allen, MIA - Tagovailoa/White, NE - Jones/Zappe, NYJ - Wilson/Boyle (expected trade for Rodgers)
AFC North: BAL - Jackson/Huntley, CIN - Burrow/?, CLE - Watson/Dobbs, PIT - Pickett/Trubisky
AFC South: HOU (drafting #2) - Mills/Keenum, IND (drafting #4) - Minshew/Foles (both on similar contracts), JAX - Lawrence/Beathard, TEN (drafting #11) - Tannehill/Willis
AFC West: DEN - Wilson/Stidham, KC - Mahomes/?, LV - Garoppolo/Hoyer, LAC - Herbert/Stick
NFC East: DAL - Prescott/Rush, NYG - Jones/Taylor, PHI - Hurts/Mariota, WAS - Howell/Brissett
NFC North: CHI - Fields/Walker, DET - Goff/Sudfeld, GB - Rodgers/Love/? (expected to trade Rodgers), MIN - Cousins/Mullens
NFC South: ATL - Ridder/Heinicke, CAR (drafting #1) - Dalton/Corral, NO - Carr/Winston, TB - Mayfield/Trask
NFC West: ARI - Murray/McCoy, LAR - Stafford/?, SF - Purdy/Lance/Darnold (injury situation means they carry three or four, maybe five), SEA - Smith/Lock

Experienced QBs in FA:
Matt Ryan (127-115-1, 2008, 3rd overall)
Joe Flacco (109-85, 2008, 18th overall)
Cam Newton (78-73-1, 2011, 1st overall) (rumored to be willing to play backup in some situations)
Carson Wentz (45-45-1, 2016, 2nd overall)
Teddy Bridgewater (32-34, 2014, 32nd overall) (rumored to have an offer from DET)
Blaine Gabbert (13-35, 2011, 10th overall)
Trevor Siemian (13-17, 2015, 7th round)

1-5 career wins:
Josh Johnson (2008, 5th round)
Chase Daniel (2009, undrafted)
Brett Hundley (2015, 5th round)
Brandon Allen (2016, 6th round)
Jeff Driskel (2016, 6th round)
Josh Rosen (2018, 10th overall)
John Wolford (2018, undrafted)
Brett Rypien (2019, undrafted)
Devlin Hodges (2019, undrafted)
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #559
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Ravens spending 15-18 mil on OBJ is rather eye opening.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:54 PM   #560
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Are they betting on Lamar playing on the tender after not getting any offers?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:27 AM   #561
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

YouTubeTV just announced pricing for Sunday Ticket. It looks like $349 for YTTV subscribers and $449 for everyone else, but $100 off if you subscribe by June 1. Adding RedZone will increase those prices by $40, I think.

Eh.

No other types of plans yet. Basically it's the DTV offering but you can buy it if you don't have YTTV, unlike DTV.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-11-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:13 AM   #562
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I cord cut a year ago. Occasionally I miss ESPN or something. But I think I’ll just pay the extra $100 instead of $800/yr for YTTV.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:14 PM   #563
GrantDawg

Falcons pick up the number 3 overall pick just a few years ago from the Lions. getting cornerback Jeff Okudah for a 5th round pick. That is going to throw some draft boards in a loop. It had sort of settled locally that the 8th pick would be Christian Gonzalez. Now? I'm starting to think it just may be Bijan.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:38 PM   #564
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a good step in a rookie contract player dump trade is to recognize a team that has no shot at developing the guy. Like you hope he bombs at the second stop so it’s not just your fault
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:04 PM   #565
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thank God this nightmare is almost over:

Dan Snyder selling Commanders: What Josh Harris, Magic Johnson group brings to Washington - The Athletic
Old 04-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #566
RainMaker
General Manager

That has to be the worst run ever by an owner, right? Or pretty close.

5 playoff appearances in 23 years. 4 winning seasons and not one of those seasons had more than 10 wins. Not a single playoff victory. 3 division titles and one of them was with a 7-9 record. I complain about the Bears being incompetent but that's depressing.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-14-2023 at 03:21 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:23 PM   #567
cuervo72
Head Coach

As an Eagles fan, I'm disappointed that the franchise will likely improve. As a person, I'm glad the shitbag is out of the league.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:40 PM   #568
bob
College Starter

Those are rookie numbers. Ford family will never be topped.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 09:29 AM   #569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Those are rookie numbers. Ford family will never be topped.

I agree that from a pure win-loss/on-field success perspective even Snyder’s awful tenure really doesn’t reach the heights (lows) of what the Fords have managed to achieve while owning the Lions. A single playoff win in 65 years is insane.

Overall, however, Snyder is a far, far worse owner than the Fords.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-15-2023, 03:35 PM   #570
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I would rather have the legacy of the pretzels than of the cars, though. Growing up in southeastern Michigan, every time I see one of those cars, and know how Henry Ford is celebrated - especially in that area, I'm reminded of his legacy of eugenics and antisemitism. Not mild assent. As active a participation as anyone. Snyder (and I joke about the pretzels, I don't think he's related) can't hold a candle to that one.

Ultimately, I can't hold either franchise responsible. The Ford family today does not spend revenue from the Lions on advocating genocide, so supporting the Lions would not come at that cost. I won't ever buy one of the cars, though, because that name remains, and I've never been a fan myself. And supporting the Commanders doesn't mean supporting the behavior of a team owner who sounds like a complete jerk in a different way.

I'm glad he's selling the team. Maybe not so glad he's getting so much money for it. It's kind of crazy when you think that a company that produces 17 weekends of football is worth so much.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #571
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It's kind of crazy when you think that a company that produces 17 weekends of football is worth so much.

On a random tangent, this has always bothered me more about football stadiums than baseball stadiums, especially with regards to public funding. Baseball stadiums are occupied 1/4 of the year, which is wasteful, sure, but when compared to the 20-25 days a year that football stadiums are used... woof.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-16-2023 at 09:53 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:00 PM   #572
Swaggs
Coordinator

Source - Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255M deal

Can someone please help Lamar Jackson? Just a little help?
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:50 PM   #573
molson
General Manager

Only $180 million guaranteed, and Hurts is way better than Lamar and not in clear decline like Lamar. And Hurts didn't have to bitch on Twitter for months beforehand.

But clearly the big winner is the Chiefs having locked down Mahomes already on that contract.

Last edited by molson : 04-17-2023 at 12:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 01:00 PM   #574
QuikSand
lolzcat

Old 04-17-2023, 03:00 PM   #575
Thomkal
Head Coach

My beloved Cards sign QB Jeff Driskel to be the backup to whomever starting for them this season. Yeah?
Old 04-17-2023, 03:06 PM   #576
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I guess this means Burrow starts at something like 5/260.
Old 04-17-2023, 04:06 PM   #577
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
On a random tangent, this has always bothered me more about football stadiums than baseball stadiums, especially with regards to public funding. Baseball stadiums are occupied 1/4 of the year, which is wasteful, sure, but when compared to the 20-25 days a year that football stadiums are used... woof.

SI

Especially the stadiums that are all lot parking. When you look at it from overhead and see just how much space is set aside so people can park there 20 or 30 times a year (assuming concerts, college games, etc), it is mindblowing
Old 04-17-2023, 04:09 PM   #578
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I guess this means Burrow starts at something like 5/260.

I don't know if the CBA allows it, but for a top QB, I'd love something like 10 years at 10% of the salary cap fully guaranteed.

Pros for player--10 years of fully guaranteed money. Won't get hurt by cap inflation.

Pros for team--you will end up paying less over the long term than you would with the way that QB contracts are going now. Also you can plan the rest of your team knowing that there's no "$60 million base salary" year coming down the pipe that you have to deal with.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:16 PM   #579
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd absolutely take a ten-year deal, but it doesn't make much sense for him given his age. Two five-year deals will end up giving him a lot more money.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:27 PM   #580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Especially the stadiums that are all lot parking. When you look at it from overhead and see just how much space is set aside so people can park there 20 or 30 times a year (assuming concerts, college games, etc), it is mindblowing

Aside from the Falcons, Mercedes-Benz typically has another 40 or so events a year (concerts, college games, soccer, etc). Maybe an outlier but it's still double the number you mentioned. And up to 250 "private events" a year are hosted there as well.

Of course they have a chronic shortage of parking which changes the footprint quite a bit.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:46 PM   #581
GrantDawg

I was thinking of Mercedes as well. Hardly any parking, just sits right in the subway line in a central part of the city with parks and other event options around it. So much better than the old Fulton County Stadium (or later, Turner Field). Great place for pre and post game.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:05 PM   #582
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Only $180 million guaranteed, and Hurts is way better than Lamar and not in clear decline like Lamar. And Hurts didn't have to bitch on Twitter for months beforehand.

But clearly the big winner is the Chiefs having locked down Mahomes already on that contract.

Not sure I'd say Hurts is much better than Lamar yet. Hurts big jump coincided with having one of the best lines in the league and a bunch of really good receivers.

With that said, I would have taken the money if I was Lamar. This is a sport where one hit can end it all. And while you can quibble over money, it's going to be an amount that is generational wealth.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:13 PM   #583
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I was thinking of Mercedes as well. Hardly any parking, just sits right in the subway line in a central part of the city with parks and other event options around it. So much better than the old Fulton County Stadium (or later, Turner Field). Great place for pre and post game.

And I absolutely hate the place ... but despite that it isn't as unused as "just football" would make it sound.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:04 PM   #584
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just saw that the Rams have over $74 million in dead cap this year. That's more than the combined cap number of Matt Stafford, Cooper Kupp, and Aaron Donald (which is $73.8 million according to Los Angeles Rams Salary Cap | Over the Cap.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:34 PM   #585
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Mercedes is one of the easiest stadiums to access if you are smart about it. We either park in Decatur and take MARTA (straight shot) or use parking panda (or whatever they are called now) to park in a lot that is about a 10 minute walk. Much better than the parking cluster that is the battery where there are 40 different lots and you can only buy them resale on stubhub.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:53 PM   #586
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Mercedes is one of the easiest stadiums to access if you are smart about it. We either park in Decatur and take MARTA (straight shot) or use parking panda (or whatever they are called now) to park in a lot that is about a 10 minute walk. Much better than the parking cluster that is the battery where there are 40 different lots and you can only buy them resale on stubhub.
And still have to walk more than 10 minutes. I despise the Battery.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:05 PM   #587
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Eagles have hired Matt Patricia as a senior defensive assistant coach.

I bet Darius Slay is thrilled with this!
Old 04-20-2023, 07:56 PM   #588
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Eagles have hired Matt Patricia as a senior defensive assistant coach.

I bet Darius Slay is thrilled with this!

That sure SEEMS like the kind of thing they would've addressed before the hire, but I dunno how/why anyone would offer Patricia any kind of senior coaching position in the first place.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-20-2023 at 07:56 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:49 PM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That sure SEEMS like the kind of thing they would've addressed before the hire, but I dunno how/why anyone would offer Patricia any kind of senior coaching position in the first place.

Done, apparently.
Quote:
Sirianni said he talked with Slay about the addition of Patricia, which was initially announced on the team's website Thursday before being abruptly deleted.

"Of course. Like you do with anything, you go through and talk to guys and make sure everyone is comfortable with it," Sirianni said. "I had conversations with Slay, I obviously had conversations with Coach Patricia, and I know it will be a good working relationship for us when that happens."
Old 04-21-2023, 11:41 AM   #590
miami_fan
Coordinator

Jameson Williams among 4 Lions plus Washington DE suspended for betting

Quote:
Lions wide receiver Quintez Cephus and safety C.J. Moore have been suspended indefinitely for betting on NFL games, as was Washington Commanders defensive end Shaka Toney. They can reapply for reinstatement after one year, although Detroit announced that its two players have been released.

This makes complete sense to me.

Quote:
Second-year wide receivers Williams and Stanley Berryhill are being suspended for six games each for mobile betting that occurred at the Lions' Allen Park facility. These two did not bet on NFL games, the team said.

This does not. I get it if they had a bookie inside the facility and the bookie was taking bets. But bets placed on a mobile device inside the facility don't seem any worse than bets placed on a mobile device outside the facility.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:52 AM   #591
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yeah, that rule makes no sense, especially with how hard the league (all leagues, really) have leaned into betting.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:01 PM   #592
bronconick
College Starter

Yeah, apparently they shouldn't have used the Lions Wi-fi and they'd be fine. *eyeroll*
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:52 AM   #593
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Those new Cardinals uniforms must have been finished in an afternoon.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:16 AM   #594
molson
General Manager

Probably increase the odds of using inside information realtime on bets, or the perception of that, so it's better to just ban all sports betting from those places. It's just a push of a button. And you won't catch everything, so maybe it makes sense to make some broad rules (like how it's against the rules even to bet on another team in your league, or on your team to win). They don't want players obsessing over betting apps at work and having that temptation to add an extra prop bet when they get new info. There's a lot of shit most of can't do at work that we could do elsewhere

But aside from that, if it's no big deal, than its no big deal to bet elsewhere. If certain players can't follow that rule, it's more likely they can't follow other betting rules.

And people struggle with the league sponsorships of the apps, but, I don't think it's complicated that the league can sponsor something that active players can't partake in. Ads and sponsorship agreements are directed at fans.

Last edited by molson : 04-22-2023 at 02:21 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #595
Bobble
College Prospect

Whatever you think of the rule, is 6 games the right penalty for this compared to Watsons 11 games? That just looks bad....
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #596
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Not sure what I think of them yet. Need to see them during a game
Old 04-23-2023, 09:00 AM   #597
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Not sure what I think of them yet. Need to see them during a game

I wouldn't say they're bad but to me they just look very generic.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:46 AM   #598
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wouldn't say they're bad but to me they just look very generic.

Agree. I expected much worse.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #599
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Whatever you think of the rule, is 6 games the right penalty for this compared to Watsons 11 games? That just looks bad....

Nearly every stark contrast like this (contrasting two sanctions, one seems weak and the other seems harsh) includes the same differentiating element: one is a violation of the law or a generic conduct policy, while the other is an offense against the game, the league, or their respective integrity.

I'm not saying I agree in lock step with the league, but they seem to believe that any sense that players/insiders are actively gambling in and around football, that's the sort of thing that could unravel the league's station. It's just a very different relationship than the league has with players who do illegal stuff like violence, theft, and (for the most part) even drugs. And that is the central reasoning why the league feels like a gambling violation is a big, big deal - because it's an assault directly on their image and (most importantly) their long term profitability.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #600
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I bet they just asked an AI to generate the uniforms.