Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2023, 05:03 PM   #801
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I read that he and Stafford have a good relationship (Bennett was probably a freshman during Stafford’s last year).

Stafford was drafted in 2009 so maybe in a summer camp. But yeah, hope Stafford will take him under his wing and mentor him.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:27 PM   #802
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Stafford was drafted in 2009 so maybe in a summer camp. But yeah, hope Stafford will take him under his wing and mentor him.
I'm pretty sure that was a "Stetson is old" joke.
Stafford and Duggan both were drafted to teams whose home field hosted their National Championship match-up.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:35 PM   #803
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh, sorry. My bad.

(dagumit)
Old 04-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #804
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Also happy the Commanders picked Ricky Stromberg. Com’on Bumper Pool

And Bumper Pool as UDFA to Carolina.

Was going to watch some Panther's preseason games anyway to check out Young so hopefully will see him also in some preseason action.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:59 PM   #805
Thomkal
Head Coach

If its not to early for this my beloved Cards looking good for next season with 11 picks so far for the draft, including Houston's 1st rounder
Old 04-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #806
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw that James Blackman signed with Miami and I thought he must have spent the past 3 or 4 years in the CFL or XFL or whatever. And then I see that he apparently played for Arkansas State this past year? Damn, seems like at least 6-8 years ago when he played at FSU for Jimbo.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-30-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:50 PM   #807
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I saw that James Blackman signed with Miami and I thought he must have spent the past 3 or 4 years in the CFL or XFL or whatever. And then I see that he apparently played for Arkansas State this past year? Damn, seems like at least 6-8 years ago when he played at FSU for Jimbo.

Well, he did play six seasons of college football (4 at FSU, 2 at Arkansas State).

Cam Akers was a freshman on that same team Blackman debuted for .... and just completed his 3rd NFL season.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:52 PM   #808
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
If its not to early for this my beloved Cards looking good for next season with 11 picks so far for the draft, including Houston's 1st rounder

Moving on from Keim was one of the best things they could have done. They are positioned very well for a good run starting in 2024, if Murray can stay healthy and play consistently as he does in flashes.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:01 PM   #809
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, he did play six seasons of college football (4 at FSU, 2 at Arkansas State).

Cam Akers was a freshman on that same team Blackman debuted for .... and just completed his 3rd NFL season.

That tracks.

What I remember of him was that he was tough as nails and rail thin. It looks like he's only put on about 20 pounds since freshman year. He'll get broken in two in the NFL at 6'5" 190.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-30-2023, 05:25 PM   #810
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Since the Covid extended eligibility is giving us a natural experiment into significantly older players entering the league, I wonder if anyone is going to crunch the numbers and see how that affects their NFL careers for good or ill.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:04 PM   #811
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If I'm looking at things correctly, the AFC has 13 playoff QBs, 2 top-five draft picks, and Kenny Pickett.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:12 AM   #812
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It is now the deep offseason, so we can discuss very off-the-wall things:

Old 05-01-2023, 07:15 AM   #813
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I get the argument for him. It seems to really come down to what you think a Hall of Fame is for.

I think that we can all agree that Kiper has been a huge influence on the was we watch and consume the game. And that he has made the league a boatload of money by showing them that the draft can be a made-for-TV spectacle.

And that he should be on the short list of most influential sports journalists ever.

But we can say all of that and still don't need to put him in the Hall of Fame.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:31 AM   #814
Bobble
College Prospect

Hall of Fame and he's famous for football stuff. He's got my vote.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 10:13 AM   #815
Swaggs
Coordinator

My first thought was "why not?" If you are telling the story of the NFL and professional football and the growth of it within television, I think he belongs. But, in digging around, it looks like there are not any media members (at least not primarily media members - guys like Madden and Aikman are in for coaching and playing). So, if Howard Cosell isn't in the Hall of Fame, I say no to Mel.

There is this award given by the HoF: Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award - Wikipedia

and, oddly enough, Cosell never won it, either. Jack and Joe Buck, Madden, Berman and TJ (separately), James Brown, Andrea Kremer, Summerall, Frank Gifford, Dierdorf, and a bunch of other notables have all won it over the years. It looks like you can only be honored once, so no repeats. No Kiper yet, though.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 04:09 PM   #816
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Major Colts, Anthony Richardson News Has Already Been Leaked

I've been noticing more headlines like this and it bothers me. There was no leak. Information that comes from a public statement by the team owner is not a leak. The headline is just clickbait which I fell for.
Old 05-01-2023, 04:17 PM   #817
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I've been noticing more headlines like this and it bothers me. There was no leak. Information that comes from a public statement by the team owner is not a leak. The headline is just clickbait which I fell for.

Don't link that crap here lol, you are just promoting it more. Where are you running into it? Google news feed? Cause it's very good at aggregating the worst sources and most clickbaity articles on the web.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-01-2023 at 04:17 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 04:30 PM   #818
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This particular one was on msn.com
Old 05-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #819
Ksyrup

Quote:
Major Colts, Anthony Richardson News Has Already Been Leaked

Anybody ever heard of Newsbreak? It's some news app that every now and then has some moderately useful article links, but most of the time it's exactly this type of stuff, except not limited to sports. But the sports ones are the worst - "49ers great dies unexpectedly" and it turns out it's some 84 year old backup punter from the 40s.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:18 PM   #820
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
This particular one was on msn.com

And it looks like msn.com just uses freelance content creators that are only interested in the # of clicks.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:43 PM   #821
Ksyrup

Someone stop AI please!

Old 05-01-2023, 07:12 PM   #822
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Someone stop AI please!

I think I've seen this guy before in a MST3k Movie

But what is with the second set of eyes/mouth?!?!?!?
Old 05-01-2023, 07:14 PM   #823
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think the generated Falcons mascot is actually pretty good.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:09 PM   #824
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Carolina Poonats?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:30 PM   #825
Swaggs
Coordinator

Oh my! Those are fantastic. AFC West are all terrible. The Cowboys one is just straight up amazing.

Eagles and Ravens are entirely decent. I liked the Colts one until I panned down and got to the bulge.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:52 PM   #826
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mel Kiper has never ever put on a jockstrap.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:55 PM   #827
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bengals one looks amazing.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #828
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ruggs III is pleading guilty to driving intoxicated at speeds up to 156mph and will get 3-10 years in prison. Just doesn’t seem like enough time. House arrest time won’t count toward time served.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:45 AM   #829
stevew
Hall Of Famer

20 5th year options for the class of 2020 being declined is nuts. It’s going to be hard for it to go down as an all time bad first round with Burrow and Hebert and Jefferson. But you also have Gladney(dead), Wilson(cut and out of the league) and Ruggs(in jail) among other bombs. It’s possible Jordan Love will look good, but I’m not counting on it.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #830
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
20 5th year options for the class of 2020 being declined is nuts. It’s going to be hard for it to go down as an all time bad first round with Burrow and Hebert and Jefferson. But you also have Gladney(dead), Wilson(cut and out of the league) and Ruggs(in jail) among other bombs. It’s possible Jordan Love will look good, but I’m not counting on it.

Is there a known average to compare this number to?
Old 05-03-2023, 08:55 AM   #831
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
21 and 19 for 2018 and 2019 classes respectively
Old 05-03-2023, 09:03 AM   #832
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Randall Cobb to the Jets.

Shocking!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #833
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Been 11/13 declined the last two years.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:08 AM   #834
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In other news, someone somewhere thought it made sense for Antonio Brown to own a football team:

Old 05-11-2023, 07:47 AM   #835
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Chiefs/Lions as the opening game doesn't have much juice.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:50 AM   #836
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Bit of a feel good story (depending on how you look at it): Foster Moreau got a routine physical as part of a free agency visit with the Saints. And they discovered that he has Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The feel-good part of it is that they caught it before he had any symptoms, so the prognosis is really good.

Seems like this really did end up feel-good. He signed with the Saints, and the current prognosis is that they got the cancer so quickly that it might not even keep him out of training camp.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:00 AM   #837
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Chiefs/Lions as the opening game doesn't have much juice.

How could a Super Bowl preview not have much juice?!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #838
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
How could a Super Bowl preview not have much juice?!

But it isn't Bengals/Lions.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:22 AM   #839
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But it isn't Bengals/Lions.

Fair point!
Old 05-11-2023, 12:44 PM   #840
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

You think you know your heros

Quote:
"I have done everything — scare me, hang upside down, drink water, smell the ass of a porcupine," Jackson added. "It doesn't work."

Auburn great Bo Jackson to undergo procedure for chronic hiccups after suffering for nearly a year - CBSSports.com
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:10 PM   #841
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Bo knows rodents. At least in ways most of us would rather not contemplate.

The trick I've always relied on (not that I've ever had a recurring issue with hiccups) is to take an entire tablespoon of sugar and try and hold it on the back of my tongue as long as possible before swallowing. I'm sure there's no science to that whatsoever, but it works when most of the basics (holding breath, drinking water quickly, thinking about Nancy Pelosi, etc) don't.

It does seem that a year after being featured on Hard Knocks is a sweet spot for gaining that kind of national attention. First game of the season, though, they could trot out Bears/Texans and get a huge audience.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:02 PM   #842
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I will say that there would be nothing more on brand for the Lions than to start their first season of real hope and promise in many many years by getting absolutely blown out and embarrassed on national TV.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #843
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I will say that there would be nothing more on brand for the Lions than to start their first season of real hope and promise in many many years by getting absolutely blown out and embarrassed on national TV.

For sure And erven if the Lions miraculously manage to leave that era of losing behind I don't think most longtime fans' psyches will be prepared to make that leap with them.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 03:07 PM   #844
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As a Bengals fan, I can tell you things can change in a hurry. The attitude around the Bengals is completely different from where it was two years ago. Everyone just expects to be in contention for the next decade or so.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:21 PM   #845
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Either that or a stunning win followed by losses to Atlanta and Chicago or something.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #846
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

People: Michael Jordan was the most competitive athlete of all time

Tom Brady: I am going to buy Jimmy Garoppolo's team to keep my thumb on him because of that time he was my backup and showed a lot of potential and some people briefly thought that he might be as good as me.

If this were FOF, Brady would convert him into a punter and cut him.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-12-2023 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:14 AM   #847
Ksyrup

It absolutely amazes me that the NFL gets this much mileage out of an email release. Not only is this not much of a reveal, it's not like we didn't already know who everyone was playing. This is just what order! WOW!

Make your marketing ad dollars I suppose, but yeesh. Big yawn.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:40 AM   #848
QuikSand
lolzcat

But I do love the trend of some teams making hay out of the schedule release and doing videos and stuff to tout them. The Titans one is great, the Jags was over the top but original, and the Chargers went back to anime and I'm here for it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:04 AM   #849
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:09 AM   #850
Ksyrup

Yeah, I don't watch any of that stuff. I'm not a tiktok person and regardless of what media they use, that's all those are. Blech.