Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 AM   #101
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty doggoned good stuff here, a winning combination of what looks like a good game & a good style of writing-up the game.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:54 AM   #102
vex
Grizzled Veteran

These cliffhangers are killing me!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #103
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thanks Jon, for the complimemt. I hope that you continue to enjoy the dynasty.

I really should post faster, but I like being about 5 monts ahead of where the board is. That way if I miss a couple of days I already have it written.

As for the game I think that it is a good game. Right now, it is the only boxing manager sim available.

The fights take some imagination, and concentration to visualize what is occuring. The play by play style reminds me of the play by play of the old CM series.

The in match strategy seems to work, but it also leaves the imperfection of the boxers own desires. There seem to be hidden attributes, and a prefered method of fighting for each boxer.

The other thing that I like is that there are so many fighters, and having historical fighters starting the game makes it that much more interesting. I like not having to decide scheduling as well, and I could watch or control any fight that I desire.

It also has the ablity to create custom fighters, that I may try and do something interactive with FOFC after this dynasty is done, or start it on my other computer. As you can only have one game going at a time.

Another thing is that you can simulate at multiple speeds and multiple lengths of time. From one week up to two years.

The writing is easy for now, as I am able to whip out multiple pages in a fairly short amount of time. The more boxers that join Punishment Inc, the slower time will go, but hopefully the more immersed you become as well.

Thanks again for reading.

PM

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #104
PilotMan
Head Coach

J1: 39-37 Acevedo

J2: 40-37 Acevedo

J3: 40-37 Ortega

Quite the disparity in judging, but you find a lot of that at this level of boxing. Omar was and I were pumped I can tell you that. I was happy to see solid scores. Omar looked in my eyes before the last round and could tell that I was serious. He knew that the writing was on the wall. I am still not sure if this will get him the contract extension that he is seeking, but I know that it will go a long way toward the finances of Punishment Inc.

The winnings from my side bet alone are almost 200k.

And so ends my first year as a boxing manager, and the rise of the management corporation Punishment Inc.

Like Steam?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #105
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fighter of the Year Awards

The fighter of the year is given to the fighter who, chosen by the media have accomplished the most and shown that they are a force to be reckoned with in their weight class. Each weight division has a fighter of the year and from that group there is one fighter who is singled out as the best that boxing has to offer. Without further ado.

Flyweight - Mauro Martinez 29-0-0(19)

Martinez is currently the #1 ranked challenger to the flyweight title. He has won 4 fights this year 2 of them by KO. At the beginning of the year he was ranked #12 and with victories over Pancho Villa, Rommel Gamboa, Zosimo Diaz, and Rocky Cubillas. He has no scheduled opponent.

Bantamweight - Job Reyes 18-0-1(11)

I would argue that Xavier Firth should be the winner here, but alas, I don’t get to make the decisions. Reyes is currently the #1 contender to the bantamweight title. He started year as the #4 ranked Bantamweight and through victories against Masakane Fukushima, and Joselito Pana, he has move up. His last fight was a draw against Bimbo Melchor. His next opponent is yet to be determined.

Featherweight - Calvin Calvert 18-3-0(16)

Calvert is the #1 contender to the Featherweight title. He started the year ranked #4, and was undefeated in 4 fights. His victories over Arnulfo Guerrero, Sandy Saddler, Vicente Salvidar, and Ray O’ Reagan. Two of those victories were by KO. He is scheduled to fight Willie Pep the second week of February.

Lightweight - Pernell Whitaker 41-1-1(17)

Whitaker was undefeated in 4 fights this year, and started the year as the #14 contender to the title. He finished as the #3 contender to the title. His rise through the division was led with victories over Sean Apted, Dennis Smyth, Augustin Garza, and finished with a 3rd round KO of Yasushi Nitta. He has not scheduled his next fight.

Welterweight - Oscar de la Hoya 34-0-0(26)

The Golden Boy had a good year, and is currently ranked as the #3 Welterweight in the world. He won four fights this year and two of them by TKO. He has been ranked high all year as he started ranked #4. His victories have been against: Kid Gavalin, Yoshiaki Kabayashi, Francisco Lacierva, and Saul Rodriguez. He is going to fight Charles Norris in February of 2006.

Middleweight - Anthony Hardy 45-2-0(15)

Hardy is the #1 contender to the Middleweight crown. He was ranked #12 at the start of the year, and moved up quickly with wins over Jake LaMotta, and Mike McCallum. Recently his victories over Karl Upchurch, and Jose Antonio Mendez have propelled him to his lofty rank in the Middleweight class. His next opponent is yet to be determined.

Light Heavyweight - Virgil Hill 48-3-0(25)

Virgil has made the biggest leap of any of the fighters of the year this year. He started the year ranked #17 and has moved all the way up to the #2 contender for the title. He has won 4 fights this year, and 3 have been by KO or TKO. His victims have been Julian Yates, Kelly Schofield, Billy Conn, and Roger Stewart. He is scheduled to face Roy Jones Jr next week.

Heavyweight - Joe Louis 71-3-0(57)

Louis has been one tough customer winning 3 fights this year. He has been the number one contender to the title for the whole year. The champ has done a good job staying away from the Louis. All three of his wins have come by way of KO or TKO. His victims have been Errol Hargreaves, Jack Johnson, and Paddy Sexton. He does not have a future fight scheduled.

And the Fighter of the Year for all of boxing is.......

Mauro Martinez (Flyweight)

A bit of controversy on this one, I must say. But congrats to him all the same.

Like Steam?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #106
PilotMan
Head Coach

End of the year Rankings

Heavyweight

CHAMP Peter O’ Connell 35-3-0(20)

#1 Joe Louis 71-0-3(57)

#2 Muhammad Ali 59-5-0(38)

#3 Michael Moorer 43-2-0(33)

#4 James Stubbs 40-6-1(20)

#5 Max Watt 15-0-2(9)

#6 Simon Maddock 26-8-0(9)

#7 Tom Elvy 30-0-0(9)

#8 Paddy Sexton 22-10-0(16)

#9 Josh Devlin 17-8-0(16)

#10 Richard Giles 19-4-0(16)

Light Heavyweight

CHAMP Julio Perez 17-0-0(6)

#1 Bob Foster 59-8-1(48)

#2 Virgil Hill 48-3-0(25)
#3 Jeff Ellery 20-9-1(12)

#4 Brendan Lawe 11-6-0(10)

#5 Kelly Schofield 34-1-1(14)

#6 Will Wiffen 34-3-1(27)

#7 Carl Wilks 20-0-0(17)

#8 Will Cripps 16-2-1(10)

#9 Roger Stewart 30-6-0(17)

#10 Mike Farrel 15-0-1(9)

Middleweight

CHAMP Leavander Nolan 18-0-0(6)

#1 Anthony Hardy 45-2-0(15)

#2 Mike McCallum 51-6-1(36)

#3 Carlos Monzon 96-7-10(65)

#4 Wayne Wells 28-0-0(20)

#5 Ewan Veal 37-0-0(26)

#6 Karl Upchurch 19-3-1(11)

#7 Jeff Larkin 19-3-0(19)

#8 Ad Webster 28-4-2(8)

#9 Harry Mann 31-3-2(11)

#10 Jose Antonio Mendez 17-1-0(6)

Welterweight

CHAMP Sugar Ray Leonard 37-2-1(25)

#1 Jose Victor Lopez 21-0-0(14)

#2 Oscar de la Hoya 34-0-0(26)

#3 Wilfredo Benitez 57-8-1(32)

#4 Manuel Castillo 24-1-1(8)

#5 Derrell Guyver 25-1-0(12)

#6 Charles Norris 36-1-1(18)

#7 Jose Napoles 79-8-0(56)

#8 Saul Rodriguez 30-5-0(7)

#9 Carlos Palomino 28-3-4(14)

#10 Andrey Romero 37-1-0(31)

Lightweight

CHAMP Jorge Reynoso 21-3-1(14)

#1 Damien Essett 20-1-0(20)

#2 Julio Cesar Chavez 102-3-2(82)

#3 Pernell Whitaker 41-1-1(17)

#4 Pedro Carrasco 109-3-2(67)

#5 Melvin Horne 8-7-0(8)

#6 Joe Gans 123-9-9(88)

#7 Barney Ross 73-4-3(22)

#8 Edwin Rosario 39-6-0(33)

#9 Luis Valdez 33-3-0(14)

#10 Sam Hughes 39-6-0(23)

Featherweight

CHAMP Peter Badillo 23-5-0(17)

#1 Calvin Calvert 18-3-0(16)

#2 Gary Jakeman 17-5-1(8)

#3 Eric Doughty 16-2-4(5)

#4 Elroy Rojas 35-2-1(27)

#5 Juan Zamora 22-0-0(13)

#6 Armando Medina 16-1-1(5)

#7 Arnulfo Guerrero 18-9-0(11)

#8 Manuel Garcia 42-8-0(12)

#9 Willie Pep 231-12-1(66)

#10 Rico Fernandez 17-1-0(12)

Bantamweight

CHAMP Xavier Firth 21-6-0(9)

#1 Job Reyes 18-0-1(11)

#2 Carlos Zarate 63-4-1(59)

#3 Victor Luna 19-0-1(11)

#4 Joselito Pana 32-1-0(12)

#5 Fernando Ramirez 13-6-1(10)

#6 German Tiznado 45-0-2(11)

#7 Enrique Grimaldo 39-0-0(29)

#8 Arman Openio 18-7-1(14)

#9 Jimmy Barry 61-0-9(40)

#10 Jun Orais 22-3-0(13)

Flyweight

CHAMP Gerardo Ramirez 25-0-0(12)

#1 Mauro Martinez 29-0-0(19)

#2 Adam Napier 26-1-0(24)

#3 Pancho Villa 79-6-5(25)

#4 Rocky Cubillas 17-1-0(13)

#5 Ernesto Bantillan 13-4-0(10)

#6 Randy Mercado 14-2-0(11)

#7 Zosimo Diaz 18-1-0(11)

#8 Lito Mataganas 18-1-0(8)

#9 Jimmy Wilde 133-4-2(99)

#10 Masayuki Kabayashi 24-3-1(12)

Like Steam?

Old 08-04-2005, 06:40 AM   #107
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Nice win! Wow, that IS a big difference in the scores. Funky.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #108
PilotMan
Head Coach

I received an offer for Omar Acevedo to fight Richard Romans. I was giving serious consideration to the fight. Romans is regarded as one of the brightest young prospects in the Lightweight division. His record stands at 1-0-4(0). He has performed poorly in some of his other matches. Other than having a good chin, he does not stand out in a physical way. His technical skills are better than what you would find at this level.

His management team has offered an immediate payout of 180k! And a fight between Acevedo and Romans would certainly bring the money into the team. Omar has 2 contracted fights left, and I still have not made up my mind if he should stay with Punishment Inc. He has been so mixed up as a fighter. And right now he is the highest valued fighter in the group.

I don’t think that he is world championship material, but he could be used as a moneymaker journeymen, you know, someone that would test the up and comers. Oh hell, I don’t know.

One fight, I am going to make some money with him, but I am not going to risk my repuataion to do it. NO.

I did take a look at potential matchups for Omar’s next fight. A match jumped right out at me. Felipe Vargas, currently ranked #125 in the world, is undefeated with a record of 6-0-0(4). A fight against Omar would pay me a boatload money. I gave them a call, clearly knowing that Omar would be no match for him. I was just in it for the money, besides a loss would make him cheaper to re-sign for the club. I think that a match two months from now would be great. They think about it and decide that it isn’t good enough. I change the offer for a match 6 weeks away, but that doesn’t work. Oh well, I guess I will need to look elsewhere for a fight.

Like Steam?

Old 08-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #109
PilotMan
Head Coach

Third week of January, 2006

The Welterweight World Title is on the line this week. Champion Sugar Ray Leonard is going to make his second defense of the title. This time against Manuel Castillo.

Castillo, 24-1-1(8), earned a draw with Charles Norris in his last match, but he is a good boxer with a good defense. All around he is a good fighter, but I have to believe that he is no Sugar Ray.

Leonard fought once last year and won a unanimous decision over Jose Napoles. Leonard is the legend that legends are made of. He not only has good defense, but he is an accurate, and hard puncher. All around he is better.

The bookies agree. They are favoring Leonard. The odds are 1/4 for Leonard and 15/4 for Castillo. That is as big of odds as you will see for a title fight.

Back on the homefront we are getting ready for a busy period. There are three fights that are going to happen within Punishment Inc. Niall is first up next week. I hope that he fights better than he did in his debut.

Like Steam?

Old 08-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #110
PilotMan
Head Coach

Last week of January 2006

Good News Bad News

Bad News

I lost 100k on a bet on a championship match. Yes, that is right. Manuel Castillo is the new Welterweight World Champion after a 12 round unanimous decision. Another bad betting decision.

Good News

Well sort of good news. I got a call from Felipe Vargas’ management. They have decided that a match with Omar would be in their best interest. And to top it off are willing to pay me a whopping 414k payoff. That is the most I have ever seen. The payoff from the match would be very handsome indeed. Omar would stand no chance to win and would probably not be happy afterward. That is OK. He only has 2 fights remaining. This is a no brainer. I guess I am going to use my fighters. The money is just to good to pass up. I am evil. I am what I always hated. I am in the money.

There are a number of big fights taking place this week.

1) The Flyweight World Championship Fight is this week. The priciples are the champion, Gerardo Ramirez. He is 25-0-0(12), and making his second defense of the title. His opponent is Adam Napier. Napier comes into the ring with a record of 26-1-0(24). That one loss occurred early last season against Zosimo Diaz as he lost on points. Napier is the #2 contender in the flyweight division. Both men are world class fighters and should guarantee a good fight. Napier is favored by the bookies. The odds on him to win are 4/7, while Ramirez is 6/4.

2) The Lightweight World Title is on the line this week too. Jorge Reynoso and his record of 21-3-1(14) will defend against the #1 contender to the title, Damien Essett. Essett is 20-1-0(20), and has won his last 3 matches by KO or TKO. He is a power puncher with good heard and good fortitude. Reynoso was lucky enough to face the less than stellar Melvin Horne for the title, and this will be his first defense of the title. Essett is the favorite with odds on him at 8/13, while Reynoso is 11/8.

3) The next step in the career of heavyweight Niall Beaumont will be made this week. Still looking for his first win he takes on #177 ranked Ric Arlos, in what will likely be a match attended by 6 people. Arlos, is making his debut. Little is known about him except that he has good power and if he is knocked down it is likely that he will get back up. Beaumont has been spending extra time in the gym. Although his morale is fairly low, so he doesn’t appear to be responding well. I will look for Niall to use his jab, and force his way inside to land heavy blows. His chin should be able to absorb any punishment that Arlos may dole out. Beaumont is the heavy favorite in this match and the odds on him to win are 4/11, while the odds on Arlos are 12/5.

Like Steam?

Old 08-05-2005, 09:31 AM   #111
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here we go!

This fight is scheduled for 4 rounds.

Arlos started out fast and landed a number of jabs that kept Niall at bay. Both fighters wanted to fight on the inside and it lead to a lot of holding, clinching and yelling by the ref. As the round progressed Niall was able to gain a little more control of the fight, and landed a descent amount of punches. This round appeared to be a draw, but I have to feel that Niall let it get away.

Niall took charge early in this round and landed a right hook that sent Ric Arlos to the canvas for a 5 count. Arlos took the 8 count and came right back. I yelled at Niall to move forward and attack like he had done in early on, but Arlos was too tricky and managed to land a number of effective punches. Clearly Niall had won the round but what should have been a 10-8 round is likely a 10-9 round.

Arlos won this round handily, he landed many clean punches and seemed to be beating Niall to the punch. Niall is going to need to crank it up if he wants to win this fight.

Niall landed the better punches and did not get hit nearly as much as the last round. Early on he was hanging back and with about a minute to go he went forward and threw what he had. I told him to leave it all in the ring. He had to if he was going to have a shot to win. Let’s see what the judges have to say.

Like Steam?

Old 08-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #112
Tellistto
College Prospect

I predict success for Niall. That is all.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #113
PilotMan
Head Coach

J1: 40-36 Beaumont

J2: 39-37 Beaumont

J3: 38-37 Arlos

Niall has his first professional win and it couldn’t have come at a better time. This win gives me another reputation boost and a little bit of extra cash in the pocket. We can celebrate tonight! This one was special!

Like Steam?

Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #114
PilotMan
Head Coach

It was a rough week if you were a champion!

The flyweight title changed hands as Adam Napier stopped Gerardo Ramirez by TKO in the 3rd round.

The lightweight title also changed hands as Damien Essett dominated his lesser foe Jorge Reynoso. Reynoso tasted the canvas in the FIRST and never got back up! Essett by KO, in round one.

I thought that Ramirez would keep his undefeated streak alive but I was wrong and it cost me 20k. My winnings from the other fights did cover the loss and the net for the week was, $10,484. Not to shabby. That covers the training costs for one fighter for one week at my gym.

Like Steam?

Old 08-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #115
AlexB
Pro Starter

Apologies if this was answered, but an earlier post asked where can you get this game? Your writing does sell it well, and a google search only gave a dead link: I would definitley like to give this one a go.

And good luck with Punishment Inc: can;t believe you've become a boxing pimp, sending out Omar to a certain pummeling just for money (admnittedly $400k+, but what about your protege?!)

Seriously, I don;t read many dynasties, but I do look for the updates on this one: keep it up, and any link for the game would be well appreciated!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #116
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
And good luck with Punishment Inc: can;t believe you've become a boxing pimp, sending out Omar to a certain pummeling just for money (admnittedly $400k+, but what about your protege?!)

Seriously, I don;t read many dynasties, but I do look for the updates on this one: keep it up, and any link for the game would be well appreciated!

and thanks for reading. It is encouraging to know that so many others are enjoying it.

Like Steam?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:16 AM   #117
PilotMan
Head Coach

First week of February, 2006

Another busy week for some of the best fighters in the world. I thought that it might be interesting to keep you abreast of not only the championship fights, but also the fights that involved the fighters who were awarded the Fighter of the Year honors, as well as, the trials of former champions.

There are no Punishment Inc fights this week but here is a rundown of other important fights.

1) Former LH Champ- Brendan Lawe 11-6-0(10) #5 v. Kelly Schofield 34-1-1(14) #6

Lawe in his last fight TKOed Tommy Loughran in the second, while Schofield TKOed Harold Johnson in the 5th. Odds are 1/1 for both fighters.

2) L Fighter of the Year - Pernell Whitaker 41-1-1(17) #4 v. Julio Cesear Chavez 102-3-2(82) #3

Whitaker Koed Yasushi Nitta in the 3rd, while Chavez won on a points decision over Jose Luis Ramirez in 10. Odds favor Whitaker 2/5, while Chavez is 2/1.

Like Steam?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #118
PilotMan
Head Coach

Brendan Lawe scored a 5th round KO over Kelly Schofield. That win earned me a 20k payout! Lawe’s quest to regain the LH title continues.

Pernell Whitaker earned a 10 round unanimous decision over Julio Cesar Chavez. The payout form the bet on this fight was 8k.

28k profit for two fights will certainly help the coffers

Like Steam?

Old 08-06-2005, 12:20 AM   #119
PilotMan
Head Coach

Second week of February, 2006

Fight Night-

For the first time in over a year there will be a night where two fighters from my stable will be competing. Lawrence and Omar both will be fighting. One has the chance to make a move in his career by beating the best fighter that he has faced. The other, likely will be running for his life against an opponent that I wish was in my stable.

Lawrence is facing Augustin Sandoval. A fighter with a gaughty 16-2-1(3) record. He is certainly beatable. He does have a good chin, but I think that he might be a bit quicker than McFarlane.

Lawrence has really been working the heavy and speed bags. I would say that he is in the best shape of his career right now, but I don’t think that he has peaked at all. Sandoval was ranked as high as #36 before his loss in his last fight. The other thing is that he does not look like he is in as good of shape as he could be.

McFarlane is going to attack from the start. He has won every other fight by KO or TKO, why stop trying now?

The oddsmakers are split ever so slightly on this one. Sandoval is the favorite at 4/5, while McFarlane is at 11/10. I think he will win but I am not going to be stupid.

Omar is fighting Felipe Vargas. Vargas is an animal with a huge punch and someone that I might like to have in the stable. The only problem is that he is only looking at much higher profile organizations, and he is very expensive. He will throttle Omar. Run! Omar! Run!

Is it wrong to bet against your own boxer? Maybe in baseball, but there are no rules here. Vargas is a 1/7 favorite, while the odds on Omar are a 5/1 longshot.

Some of the fighters that I have been following are also scheduled to fight this week. Here is a list of notable fighters and fights:

1) Welterweight FOY - Oscar de la Hoya 34-0-0(26) #4 v. Charles Norris 36-1-1(18) #9

de la Hoya is a machine and likley is going to kill Norris. Norris has not fought anyone of any calibre lately. He fought 2 times last year and had a draw and a loss. Not a fighter on the upswing. The draw was against Manuel Castillo. De la Hoya won his last fight with a sixth round TKO over Saul Rodriguez. De la Hoya is 2/7, while Norris is 13/5.

2) Bantamweight FOY - Job Reyes 18-0-1(11) #2 v. Joselito Pana 32-1-0(12) #5

This is a rematch from last year when Reyes Koed Pana in the 7th. The winner would have a good case for a title fight, but that is out of my control. Pana won his last fight with a 10 round split decision over Edel Milanes. Reyes in his fight had a draw with Bimbo Melchor. The odds are even 1/1 for both fighters in this one. It should be a good one. There is a lot of hype around it.

Like Steam?

Old 08-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #120
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here we go!

Omar Acevedo v. Felipe Vargas

I think that running is a valid strategy, what do you think?

Vargas took round one by landing a lot of punches. He had Omar reeling at one point and Omar had to cover up, but he regained his composure and actually didn’t look half bad for the last minute.

What the hell did I just see? WHAT! Grab a hold of yourself man! The round started out ok, I had told him to hold his ground a little more but to be careful. He did a nice job of dodging and landing and was actually winning the round. All of a sudden, one punch, and Vargas’ legs stiffend and he went down. He got up at 5 but still, that was the first time he had tasted canvas in his career. He was kinda pissed and came after Omar, and landed some hard punches, but Omar won the round with the knockdown. Unbelieveable.

Vargas seems land punches at will, and had Omar hurt at the end of the round. In fact, the ref was looking long and hard. Omar did more damage that round and it seemed like he wanted to go toe to toe. I don’t want him to, but that is about what happend. We are going to the last round, and Omar has taken some damage, but we got the knockdown. The rounds have been ugly, but there is still an outside chance.

More of the same in the last round. Vargas landed a lot, and dodged well. Still Omar did well with what he had, and this had to be one of the best fights that he has fought. He should have been knocked out in all likelihood.

Like Steam?

Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #121
Tellistto
College Prospect

Kid has guts, can't take that away from him. Getting the knockdown is nice, and hopefully he'll take some good things away from that fight.

Tell

Old 08-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #122
PilotMan
Head Coach

J1: 40-37 Acevedo

J2: 38-37 Avevedo

J3: 38-37 Vargas

Holy Fucking Shit WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I get for dropping 50 grand against my fighter. Had I bet 50 grand on Omar I would have won 350k! Still, losing 50 grand was worth it for the win, especially since they paid us over 400k just to take the fight. I have no idea what this is going to do for our reputation. The other thing is that Omar’s contract is going to be so expensive that there is no way I will be able to afford it, or that the invesment will be worth it. He was supposed to lose, so he would be cheap and I could resign him. Now his has one fight for us left. Right now I don’t care and he has pulled off an amazing upset.

On to the next fight.

Like Steam?

Old 08-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #123
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here we go, again!

Lawrence McFarlane v. Augustin Sandoval

This fight is scheduled for 8 rounds.

This fight will test the limits of Lawrence’s power, finishing and stamina. Will he last? Will he keep up?

Sandoval has way more power than he looks. He absolutley tore Lawrence up that round. He was accurate and halfway through Lawrence didn’t look like he was going to make it. I told him to relax fight how he felt comfortable. That was better, but he still took lots of damage. A change of attitude is needed for the next round.

Both fighters took more of an upright stance for this round and neither felt like mixing it up. I think McFarlane had to have won that round. He was better defensively and landed some nice combos. He didn’t really hurt him, but I want to see more rounds like that.

Round three looked a lot like round two. It seems that Lawrence is more comfortable jabbing and throwing combos from the outside, and he has a better opportunity and does a better job of getting out of the way. He clearly did more damage and landed more punches, but Sandoval is still controlling the pace of the fight.

Round four was as entertaining as they come and McFarlane continues to edge back into this fight. He landed more punches that round than any other, and they are starting to take their toll on Sandoval. Both fighters jabs are setting the tone for the fight, and right now McFarlane is more accurate and his movement is better.

Sandoval won that round, but McFarlane got some big punches in. This is a close fight and right now, Lawrence is mixing things up. Sandoval is a nice and accurate puncher, he controls the ring very well, I think that might be something to work on in the gym.

Lawrence came back to the corner of some pain in his left hand. I am not really concerned with it right now. The fight is going well, but last round was ugly. Both fighters tying up, a lot of puches thrown. There are 2 rounds left, and Sandoval is clearly tireing. If this was going 10 he would never make it. I wish that McFarlane would land some more consistent big punches. A flurry could end this. I don’t think that Sandoval has the power to KO Lawrence, but I worry about his constant work ethic. He is a tough fighter.

Round 7 was all Augustin Sandoval. He was dominating and landed everything. It is clear that at this point this is going to the cards. Lawrence has to win this last round in my mind. Back to the jab and take the round on points.

Round 8 was back to same from Lawrence. He did well with the jab on the outside, but there were times when they tied up. Sandoval didn’t dominate the way he did in the 7th and I think that this round was ours. If indeed McFarlane pulls off a win, it will be the first for him that he didn’t get the TKO or KO. I have my fingers crossed othewise it will put a damper on the night.

Like Steam?

Old 08-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #124
PilotMan
Head Coach

J1: 77-76 McFarlane

J2: 77-77

J3: 77-75 McFarlane

A majority decision for Lawrence! That is a huge accomplishment and a huge relief. He is deserving of a rest. We are going out on the town tonight. Many bottles of champagne will be had. This was the single biggest day in Punishment Inc’s existence.

The results from the other matches were as follows:

Job Reyes and Joselito Pana fought their way to a 10 round draw. Sort of anti-climactic but still a good fight all around.

Oscar de la Hoya scored a 10 round unanimous decision over Charles Norris.

We lost 50 grand betting against Omar, but who cares really? I made a 110k in Lawrence’s match, and I made a little over 28k betting on de la Hoya. It was a good week all around.

Like Steam?

Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #125
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here is a look at our finanicals:

Cash on Hand: 2,949,972

Value of Contracts:

Lawrence McFarlane: 1,357,380

Omar Acevedo: 506,422

Lee Drydon: 892,480

Niall Beaumont: 976,000

Total contract value: 3,732,282

Total Assets: 6,682,254

Picking the right fights has been critical, getting lucky helps too. I am toying with the idea of approaching Vargas for a contract. I think I will sleep on it.

Like Steam?

Old 08-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #126
PilotMan
Head Coach

We have been approached by the management of Josh Tuff about a fight with Niall Beaumont in 2 weeks. They are willing to pay a little less than 90k if we take it. Who the hell is Josh Tuff? I roll over to the computer, and pull up the scouting on him.

Tuff, 3-4-1(1), good heart, and very aggressive. Ranked #164. Hmm. Lost his last 3 fights. This might be a worthwhile opponent. And a payout on top of it. What do I have to lose? His boxing skills aren’t that great, and Niall should be better than he is. The thing is that he just fought 3 weeks ago. That is really early. The drawback would be that Niall wouldn’t be trained that well for it, but he is in good health.

I think I will pass on this offer, I think that there might be some better matchups, and Niall really needs the gym work.

I went back into the office and was toying with the idea of calling Vargas. Alas, he is already booked for another fight. I cannot believe that Omar beat him. He is a fuckin beast. Certainly a championship caliber fighter. Four round fights can be crazy.

Like Steam?

Old 08-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #127
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good work on the write ups.

I'm still enjoying this one.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:59 PM   #128
hoopsguy
General Manager

Add me to the list of readers. Good dynasty, Pilot.

Do the most recent contract values represent the jumps from their most recent fights? I figured that Omar would have had a nice spike after his big win.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:22 AM   #129
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Rah! Good run for Punishment, Inc!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #130
PilotMan
Head Coach

I would like to say thank you to those of you who voted for the 5 star rating. That means a lot to me.

hoops: Each fighter has a value that is placed on them when you sign them. It is based on performance, who they have fought etc. The fighters at the top are not always the most expensive. Usually, the most expensive are the good, young fighters on their way up. For instance, Vargas' value, even with the loss is still about twice what the top fighters are. Honestly, I am not sure why, but that is just the way that it is. It is hard to take a fighter all the way from the bottom to the top. Another example was the reason for getting Drydon in. He was cheap, and down. As he wins his value goes up.

The numerical representation above is the value per fight multiplied by the number of fights remaining. When a fighter's contract is extended you are basically buying stock in the fighter. If he loses, his value goes down and you essentially end up losing money. That is why picking the right fight is essential for any fighter that you have future plans for.

Yes, Omar did have a nice spike. The quality of the opponent makes a difference. He pretty much saved his future in my stable with that win.

Like Steam?

Old 08-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #131
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Also I have been following along with this dynasty.....so u have more fans than you know
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #132
PilotMan
Head Coach

Third week of February, 2006

Fight Night

Lee Drydon is going for his second career win. He takes on Rene Dominguez. Dominguez is a lot like Lee. A fighter with a big potential, but he has been killed in his 3 pro fights getting TKOed in each one.

Lee will need to watch for his power, and he can end it quick, but his weakness is his chin and body. He can’t handle the barrage that some fighter can lay out. We are going to be careful, and try and grab another win for Drydon.

Drydon is the favorite as the odds on him are 4/7, while Dominguez is 6/4.

Here is a preview of other fights this week:

1) Featherweight FOY - Calvin Calvert 18-3-0(16) #2 v. Willie Pep 231-12-1(66) #12

Calvert scored a win in his last fight over Ray O’ Reagan on points and Pep lost on points to Armando Medina. Pep is past his prime and Calvert is in his. This looks like a mismatch but the oddsmakers disagree. Pep is the favorite at 2/5, while the odds on Calvert are 2/1. I might make some money on this one.

2) Former Lightweight Champ Melvin Horne 8-7-0(8) #6 v. Barney Ross 73-4-3(22) #12

Horne is fighting for the first time since losing the title last year. Ross only fought one time last year. It was a split decision win over Calvin Freake. He was ranked #40 at the time. This is a big opportunity for Ross, many think him unable to hang with the former champ. While many think the former champ was a paper lion. Ross is the favorite of the bookies at ½, while Horne goes off at 7/4. I may lay a small bet on Horne. I am leery though.

Like Steam?

Old 08-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #133
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here we go!

I told him to go fight his fight, be careful and listen. If I see something, listen, and tear him apart. This can be your win, make it your win.

A back and forth round that saw both fighters take turns controlling the round and it ended with both fighters going toe to toe. Expect more of the same in round two in this last man standing type of match.

Bad round for Lee, he was on the short end of the stick. Took a lot of damage and covered up the last minute. The fight was almost stopped.

Round three was good for Lee. I told him to go forward but to give a lot of body movement. A similar tactic that was used in his last fight that suited him well. The first minute was all Drydon, he had him hurt and poured it on. By the last minute of the round Dominguez was trying to fight back but he wasn’t doing enough. The ref stopped the fight near the end of the round. That is a TKO win for Lee Drydon!

The judges cards showed the fight a draw for 2 and one judge had Lee ahead. Whew! That was close.

In other action -

Melvin Horne scored a unanimous points win over Ross.

Calvin Calvert scored a unanimous points win over Willie Pep.

I made a nice little haul betting this week.

Total winnings frommy bets on these three fights totaled 180k! The biggest being the 100k from Calvin Calvert beating Willie Pep.

Lee Drydon was offered a fight eight weeks away against Harry McBray. They were offering over 200k in compensation. I said no. I am not ready to let my little cash cow go down yet.

Like Steam?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #134
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well now I have come to a crossroads. What do I do? Omar completely stunned me. To top it off he is recovering from the fight rather quickly. He could be ready to fight again in a number of weeks.

I have been feeling guilty about laying money down against a fighter in my own stable. But who the hell had any idea that he had a chance to win? That probably makes me a scumbag, but I argue that it doesn’t. I would have been a scumbag if I had told him to lose. That would have make me like so many others that are out there. No! What did I do? I pumped him up, encouraged him, and made him believe in himself. The boy has heavy fists, that doesn’t hurt either. Of course I made way, way more money that if he had lost the fight, so it was worth the price.

The problem that I now have is that Omar has now proved himself capable of beating some very good talent. He had exactly one fight remaining on his contract, and right now his value is out of this world. I have access to some cash, but at least right now, if I wanted to extend him, the best that I could do would be for 2 more fights and then it is possible that I would lose money, unless he keeps winning and beating quality opponents.

This is business, but I feel loyalty to him. He likely would not have done much without my guidance. What the hell do I do? If he fights one more time, he will be out of a contract, and it is possible that he would resign, but I would be concerned about hurting his feelings. The businessman inside says that I should let him go, or put him up against another huge opponent, and knock him down to a more managable level. It also says that I should drop Lee Drydon and take the profit that he has reaped me. The human being inside me is pretty much appalled that I would think such things.

What to do, what to do.

Like Steam?

Old 08-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #135
TonyR
High School Varsity

Good win by Lawrence, and AWESOME job by Omar!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #136
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I made a decision. I have been thinking of expanding my stable and I need money to get my fighters going. The other thing is that the more fighters that I have the more money it takes to train them.

I felt like I needed to give Omar something to hang his hat on without putting the business out very much. Omar signed a 2 fight contract extension. It cost over 1 million dollars, but I should see most of that money back in the fights that are arranged.

That means that all the fighters are signed for at least 3 fights and Drydon still has 7 fights remaining.

I got a call this week from the managers of Roger Overton. Who is Roger Overton? Overton currently has a record of 2-3-1(1). He beat Eric Kippax, the fighter who spoiled Niall’s debut. He looks like a fighter with good skills who can’t seem to be consistant or stay in shape. He is hot and cold, they offered a little over 80k for the fight. He is ranked a couple of spots higher than Niall. I don’t have a very good feeling about it. The fight would be in 5 weeks. Hmm.

Against my better judgement I tell them to book the fight. You just never know what is going to happen in this business.

Like Steam?

Old 08-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #137
PilotMan
Head Coach

First week of March, 2006.

Omar has a fight that is going to take place the second week of May. His opponent is currently ranked #107, while Omar is #119. I would have thought that his win would have moved him up in the world a bit farther, but even opponents who are 6-0 are still only 6-0. Were 6-0 in this case.

Punishment Inc, has no fights scheduled for a few weeks but that doesn’t mean that nothing is happening in the world of boxing. A couple of good fights are scheduled for this week.

Here is a rudown:

1) The Featherweight Title is on the line as current World Champion, Peter Badillo, 23-5-0(17), defends his title against the #1 contender, Gary Jakeman. Jakeman is 17-5-1(8). Look for Badillo to be the aggressor and to land more punches. He was tough in his last fight as he Koed previously undefeated Armando Medina. Jakeman has a better chin than that. The bookies are taking bets, and the odds are on Badillo. He is ½, while the odds on Jakeman are 7/4.

2) The most anticipated fight of the year so far is this week. The Heavyweight Championship is on the line as Peter O’Connell defends his title for the second time. He record is 35-3-0(20), and he puts it on the line against the #1 contender to the title, Joe Louis. Louis has been the #1 contender for over a year and has demolished his opponents, winning his last 3 fights by KO or TKO. Louis has a record of 71-3-0(57). The odds favor Louis to grab the title at 8/15, while the odds on the champ are 5/3.

Another fighter with tremendous promise has signed with Punishment Inc. I continue to branch out into other weight classes as this fighter fights in the light-heavyweight division. Say hello to Ismael Gutierrez. Gutierrez turned pro a month ago but has not had a fight yet. His contract was purchased for a little over 1.7 million, making him the most expensive fighter that I have paid for upfront. I hope that he can live up to his potential. He fights in the style that is quickly becoming expected from Punishment Inc guys. He hits hard and is aggressive. His chin is something to worry about, but he can take a lot of punches. Who knows what future is in store for this bright fighter.

Like Steam?

Old 08-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #138
PilotMan
Head Coach

To give you an update of where this dynasty is at. I am currently showing I am at update page 84 posted on the board. I just finished writing update page 142. No fear, there is plenty more to come.

Like Steam?

Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #139
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ismael was offered a fight in 6 weeks against Ian Forster. I declined them quick. Ismael is not in the shape that I want him fighting in yet. A little more time in the gym is needed.

Big developments in the world of boxing. Peter Badillo defended his title successfully against Gary Jakeman, winning in a 12 round unanimous decision.

Joe Louis showed that he was deserving of his title shot as he dispatched Peter O’Connell in the 8th round by TKO. Louis is the new heavyweight champion.

My bets that were laid on these fights both paid and I made almost 50k. That will help to pay for my ever increasing training costs.

The reigning fighter of the year, flyweight, Mauro Martinez is fighting this week. His opponent? Pancho Villa, one of the greatest flyweights that ever lived. This is a rematch from last year in which Martinez won by a majority points decison over Villa. Niether fighter has lost since and the fighters are ranked as the number four and three contenders in the flyweight divison. Villa’s record is 79-6-5(25), while Martinez is 29-0-0(19). Oddsmakers favor Martinez heavily for this fight. The odds on him to win are 1/4, while the odds on Villa are 3/1. I would not think that the spread would be that great, but I don’t make the odds.

Omar Acevedo is scheduled to face David Amos in May. Amos is 7-7-1(0). He looks like a big letdown after Omar’s last fight but he is ranked higher. Amos is best known for being able to take a punch. That’s it. A really well paid sparring partner. He lacks any power and his punching accuracy and defense are average at best. He is in descent shape and should put up a good fight. Besides he has a long time to train for the fight.

Like Steam?

Old 08-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #140
Swaggs
Coordinator

Is there a way to measure yourself against other managers in the game, so we know where you stack up at any given point?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #141
PilotMan
Head Coach

Unfortunately, you are the only manager represented in the game. There is a hall of fame, and I have no idea how far you need to go to get there. I have never come close to any of the scores there. Nor is there any other area that tells you what your score is. You are pretty much playing the game in the dark as far as that is concerned.

Like Steam?

Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #142
PilotMan
Head Coach

Martinez kept his unbeaten streak alive with a 10 round unanimous decision win over Pancho Villa. I had put down 20k on Villa, on the hopes that he might pay, but that money is gone now.

The Middleweight title is on the line this week as the champ, Leavender Nolan makes his first defense against #1 ranked Anthony Hardy. Hardy is 45-2-0(15), while Nolan is 18-0-0(6). Nolan shocked the world by scoring a TKO against Sugar Ray Robinson. Hardy’s last fight was a unanimous decision over Jose Antonio Mendez. Both fighters are pure boxers and neither brings much power. This will go the distance. The odds are favoring Nolan at 8/11, while Hardy is at 7/6.

Like Steam?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #143
PilotMan
Head Coach

Leavander Nolan has defended his title with a 12 round majority decision over Anthony Hardy. I made a little money on this fight, but not much, because I am cautious about how much I gamble.

Ismael Gutierrez is a popular fighter. He has been offered a fight in 7 weeks, to fight Lawrence Rollins. Gutierrez still is not in proper shape and so I have declined this fight.

Former Light Heavyweight Champ Jeff Ellery is fighting Bob Foster this week. Ellery is 20-9-1(12), and is ranked #3. Foster is 60-8-1(49), and is ranked #2. This is a titanic battle in the LH division. Foster has been the #1 contender to the title since last year. The favorite is Foster, the odds on him are 2/7, while Ellery is 13/5.

Another interesting fight this week is the other former Light Heavyweight Champ, Brendan Lawe, is fighting Carl Wilks. Lawe has scored big wins since losing the title and is ranked #5. His opponent is ranked #6 and is 20-0-0(17). Wilks is a big puncher and has won his last two fights by TKO. The oddsmakers like Wilks in this one at 3/5, while Lawe is 11/8.

Like Steam?

Old 08-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #144
PilotMan
Head Coach

Last week of March, 2006

Bob Foster scored a 10 round unanimous decision over Jeff Ellery

Carl Wilks scored a 10 round majority decision over Brendan Lawe.

I won both of these bets and made a little over 26k. Not much. Whithout any fights I am watching my training expenses eat away at my cash. 26k doen’t go very far to paying the bills now.

Things have been really quite around the gym. My fighters are gaining in health and are training well.

Here are how they rank currently in their weight divisons.

Lawrence McFarlane #38

Omar Acevedo #118

Lee Drydon #141

Ismael Gutierrez #149

Niall Beaumont #157

Not especially impressive. McFarlane’s next opponent is going to be very important. Having him have the potential to make it into the top 25 is very exciting.

Like Steam?

Old 08-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #145
PilotMan
Head Coach

The single most prestigious fight in Punishment Inc’s history was made today. It was announced that Lawrence McFarlane has been signed as the next opponent of none other than Michael Nunn.

Nunn, 52-3-2(34), has not fought in over a year and a half. He is currently ranked #23 in the middleweight division. He is a heavyhanded fighter, who possess all the skills that made him a world champion in his career. It is unknown how far past his prime he may be if at all.

The fight will take place the first week of June, 2006.

This will be a large step up in opponent for the young fighter, McFarlane. He has won his last 5 fights to vault himself over 50 places in the middleweight rankings. Although Nunn will likely be the favorite, you cannot count McFarlane out.

Like Steam?

Old 08-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #146
PilotMan
Head Coach

Not a good day at the betting window. I lost 80k on a bantamweight fight that looked so easy. I guess I should stick with what I know. The cash in the vault is getting lower and lower, but Niall has a fight that should replentish it back some.

Lee Drydon was approached for a fight by Bert Bandivas. Bandivas is 1-5-0(0), and hasn’t accomplished anything. He is ranked about 20 places lower than Lee. So it wouldn’t be like Lee would really get anything from it if he wins other than a self confidence boost. Additionally, my reputation stands to lose quite a bit from a loss. Their management is offering 59k, but that isn’t worth the risk.

Like Steam?

Old 08-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #147
PilotMan
Head Coach

First week of April, 2006

Fight Night-

Niall Beaumont, 1-1-0(0), is fighting this week in a four round preliminary bout against Roger Overton. Overton, 2-3-1(1), is going to give Niall a tough fight. Niall has not been the fighter that I had hoped for after signing him.

Overton’s record isn’t that good, but 2 of his losses are by majority decision and one was a draw. He knocked out Eric Kippax in the second round, so he does hit hard. It is going to be a hard fight.

The oddsmakers are favoring Beaumont at 4/11, while the odds on Overton to win are 12/5.

In the tale of the tape, both are big punchers, but Overton lands more frequently. Beaumont will be the aggressor, and will try and push the action. Overton has a better chin, but Beaumont can take more overall damage.

There are two world titles on the line this week.

First, Lightweight champion, Damian Essett, 21-1-0(21), is making his first title defense against Pedro Carrasco. Carrasco is 109-3-2(67). In his last fight he defeated Al Hardway on points at the end of last year.

Carrasco has a good chin and it will be tested. Essett hasn’t gone the distance in a fight in over a year. He became the champ by Koing the then champ, Jorge Reynoso, in the first round.

Oddsmakers are all over Essett in this one. The odds on him are 1/7, while the odds on Carrasco are a longshot 11/2. No respect for a guy who has only been defeated 3 times and has over 100 wins.

The second title fight is for the Light Heavyweight title. Challenger, Virgil Hill, 48-3-1(25), is the favorite at 8/11. The champ is Julio Perez. Perez, 17-0-0(6), is defending the title for the first time after beating Jeff Ellery late last year. Hill got the title fight despite not winning his last fight. He managed a draw against Roy Jones.

This fight will likely go the distance as neither fighter has a big punch, and both are boxer style fighters. The odds on Perez are 7/6.

Like Steam?

Old 08-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #148
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here we go!

Niall Beaumont had a good round and controlled the action by moving forward and pursuing Overton. He avoided more punches than I thought that he would and landed more combos than Overton did. I would say that he won the round, but it was close.

Niall lost that round. Overton had blood streaming out of his nose, and there was some speculation that it may be broken. That could impact the outcome of the fight. Niall landed his punches in flurries and did some damage, but Overton landed more punches. I keep waiting for the big punch to come from Niall. I think that he could take Overton out.

Beaumont inflicted an enormous amout of damage and was on the verge of a TKO win. Overton landed some jabs and a couple of combos, but he took a lot of damage from Niall’s uppercuts. They were doing loads of damage. Niall still controlled the round and I think that he won this one. With Overton not doing much damage I don’t see any reason to change strategies.

Another big round for Niall. He landed a bunch of big punches and took his share his well. With :30 to go in the round Overton was on queer street. Beaumont could not find the range and end it, but Overton could not answer either. With just a few seconds to go in the fight the ref had seen enough and declared an end to the fight.

I was accurate to the way the fight was going the judges had it 2 rounds for Niall and 1 for Overton.

This was a good win for Niall Beaumont and a good win for Punishment Inc. Beaumont has won by a 4th round TKO. The first TKO of his pro career.

The World Title fights went like this:

Virgil Hill was crowned the new Light-Heavyweight champion after his 12 round unanimous decision win over Julio Perez. That was the first pro loss for the ex champ, Perez.

Damian Essett continued his total dominance over the Lightweight division with a 6th round TKO of Pedro Carrasco. Essett dominated the fight and is head and shoulders above everyone else in the lightweight division.

I managed to earn 40k by winning the bets on all three of these fights. No much, but enough to cover some training expenses. Lawrence McFarlane is training twice as hard as usual. He has a very important match to prepare for.

Like Steam?

Old 08-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #149
Tellistto
College Prospect

Nice fight for Niall there, looks like he's making progress with his skills in relation to his talent. Hopefully the other fighters can keep doing well, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new kid get in the ring.

Tell

Old 08-13-2005, 09:37 PM   #150
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am too Tellistto. That much money ought to buy something shouldn't it?

Like Steam?