Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 1, May 1983, (part two of four)

I should have known better than to think the lovely afterglow would last long, after all, this IS wrestling so there has to be some drama. I arrive at the office smiling about our good news until the other shoe falls.

The bad news? We lost nearly $80,000 last month , dropping our cash reserves to about $145k.
Obviously we’re going to have to make some adjustments & start watching things more closely.

We lost nearly $25k in merchandising alone ($14.9k sales vs $38.4k costs), so we’ll switch from conservative to just in time for the coming month to see if that helps. We had $346k and change in revenue for the month versus over $425k in costs. Assuming our non-worker costs & revenue both remained stable, we have just under $60k for the month available for paying talent to break even. That’s an average about $6700 per show we can afford right now, which means putting on some really weak shows or pushing guys into matches that are probably longer than they’re ready for. Another way to look at it would be per match, with the house & TV schedule combined going 12 matches per week for 48 in the month, plus at least 8 more on the end of the month show, that’s 56 matches with an average talent cost around $1075 per match. Roughly 1/3rd of our current roster makes more than that per appearance by themselves, never mind an opponent.

And I just realized that doesn’t include the $1,900 per show for Solie, who has been the strongest part of a lot of our shows and has been handling most of the road agent work to boot. This is getting depressing, since I don’t know how on earth I’m supposed to build a promotion with the only affordable people on the roster

After a month, here are the changes in our roster & positions
Tommy Rich up one level to Main Event
Terry Gordy debuts, added to Main Event
Jake Roberts up one level to Upper Midcard
Rick Hunter debuts, added to Upper Midcard
Adrian Street debuts, added to Upper Midcard
Len Denton debuts, added to Upper Midcard
Ronnie Garvin down one level to Midcard
Brett Wayne down one level to Lower Midcard
Eric Embry debuts, added to Midcard
Mark Rocco debuts, added to Midcard
Masa Fuchi debuts, added to Midcard for 3 show loan
Dave Finlay debuts, added to Lower Midcard
Emilio Charles, Jr debuts, added to Lower Midcard
Tim Horner up one level to Lower Midcard
Chic Cullen debuts, added to Opener
Bruno Sammartino, Jr released from Midcard
Italian Stallion released from Lower Midcard
Rick McGraw released from Lower Midcard

Talking to the guys
Brett Wayne sees himself as more of an upper midcarder & is unhappy with his number of losses
Chic Cullen sees himself as more of a lower midcarder
Emilio Charles, Jr sees himself as more of a midcarder
Eric Embry sees himself as more of an upper midcarder
Mark Rocco sees himself as more of an upper midcarder
Mr. Wrestling would rather be a road agent but occasional wrestler is okay too.
Paul Orndorff sees himself as more of a main eventer
Road Warrior Animal sees himself as more of an upper midcarder
Ronnie Garvin sees himself as more of an upper midcarder
The Spoiler sees himself as more of a main eventer

Our popularity remains fairly stable in our top regions, still C+ in the Southeast & C- in the Great Lakes. We did move up a tick, to E+, in both the Mid-Atlantic and Puerto Rico on the solid word of mouth generated by our end of the month show.

JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 1, May 1983, (part three of four)

Rest of the World Promotions

There are 28 other promotions of note around the world, and we seem to have some sort of relationship with most of them.

United States
1)World Wrestling Federation (WWF) - Cult with B prestige - at war
2)Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (MACW) - Cult with C+ prestige - working agreement
3)American Wrestling Association (AWA) - Cult with C prestige
4)Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF) - Regional with D+ prestige - working agreement
5)World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) - Regional with D prestige - hostile
6)Mid-South Wrestling (MSW) - Regional with D prestige - working agreement
7)Central States (CSTATE) - Regional with D prestige - working agreement
8)World Wrestling Council (WWC) - Regional with D- prestige up from E+
9)Southwest Championship Wrestling (SWCW) - Regional with E+ prestige - working agreement
10)Pacific Northwest (PNW) - Regional with E+ prestige - working agreement
11)Championship Wrestling Association (CWA) - Regional with E+ prestige - working agreement
12)Houston Championship Wrestling (HCW) – Regional up from Small with E+ prestige up from E - working agreement
13)Southeastern Championship Wrestling (SECW) – Up to Regional from Small with E prestige up from F+ - working agreement
14)International Championship Wrestling (ICW) - Small with F+ prestige
15)World Wrestling Association (WWA) - Small with F+ prestige
16)Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW) - Regional with F prestige

Canada

1)Maple Leaf Wrestling (MLW) - Regional with D- prestige
2)Calgary Stampede Wrestling (CSW) - Regional with E+ prestige
3)International Wrestling Montreal (IWM) - Regional with E+ prestige - non-agression
4)Atlanta Grand Prix Wrestling (AGPW) - Regional with E prestige
5)All-Star Wrestling (ASW) - Small with F+ prestige - non-agression

Mexico
1)Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) - Cult with C prestige
2)Universal Wrestling Association (UWA) - Regional with E prestige

Japan
1)All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW) - Regional with C+ prestige up from C
2)New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) - Regional with C prestige
3)All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling (AJWP) – Regional up from Small with E- prestige

UK
1)Joint Promotions (JP) - Cult with D prestige
2)All Star Wrestling UK - (ASWUK) - Regional with E+ prestige up from E

Top Champions Around The World

1)World Wrestling Federation (WWF) - Bob Backlund since Dec 1979
2)Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (MACW) - Ric Flair since Sept 1981
3)American Wrestling Association (AWA) - Nick Bockwinkel since October 1982
4)Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF) - Purple Haze since April 1983
5)World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) - Terry Gordy since April 1983
6)Mid-South Wrestling (MSW) - Ted DiBiase since April 1983
7)Central States (CSTATE) - Manny Fernandez since September 1982
8)World Wrestling Council (WWC) - Carlos Colon since April 1982
9)Southwest Championship Wrestling (SWCW) - Adrian Adonis since April 1983
10)Pacific Northwest (PNW) - Dutch Savage since April 1983
11)Championship Wrestling Association (CWA) - Jerry Lawler since April 1983
12)Houston Championship Wrestling (HCW) – Gino Hernandez since April 1983
13)Southeastern Championship Wrestling (SECW) – Bob Armstrong since December 1982
14)International Championship Wrestling (ICW) - Randy Savage since January 1982
15)World Wrestling Association (WWA) - Chris Markoff since April 1983
16)Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW) - Tammy Jones since April 1983

Canada
1)Maple Leaf Wrestling (MLW) - Vacant
2)Calgary Stampede Wrestling (CSW) - Bret Hart since October 1982
3)International Wrestling Montreal (IWM) - Gilles Poisson since April 1983
4)Atlanta Grand Prix Wrestling (AGPW) - Leo Burke since April 1983
5)All-Star Wrestling (ASW) - Moose Morowski since April 1982

Mexico
1)Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) - Lizmark since April 1983
2)Universal Wrestling Association (UWA) - Canek since April 1983

Japan
1)All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW) - Jumbo Tsuruta since October 1982
2)New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) - Tatsumi Fujinami since April 1983
3)All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling (AJWP) – Dump Matsumoto since April 1983

UK
1)Joint Promotions (JP) - Johnny Saint since unknown
2)All Star Wrestling UK - (ASWUK) - Mal Sanders since April 1983
Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 1, May 1983, part four of four

Meanwhile, an amazingly gifted teenager in Bristol, VA has offered to bring the power of modern technology to Georgia Championship Wrestling, with the introduction of something new to the sport: computer rankings.

While young Wes Colley’s rankings, which he calls “The Matrix” won’t be used as the sole determination of anything in GCW, owner Jim Barnett is excited to have another tool with which to evaluate our talent and continue to bring the finest wrestling in the world to our fans.

Colley Matrix Rankings as of Monday Wk 1, May 1983

Code:
Wrestler Rating W L T 1 Larry Zbyszko 420 6 0 0 2 Rick Hunter 361 4 0 0 3 Stan Hansen 335 4 0 1 4 Tommy Rich 323 4 1 0 5 Adrian Street 279 2 0 0 6 Ole Anderson 233 3 2 0 7 Emilio Charles Jr 231 1 0 0 8 Mark Rocco 223 1 0 0 9 Masa Fuchi 221 1 0 0 10 Pez Whatley 216 3 2 0 11 Jake Roberts 203 2 2 0 12 Dave Finlay 201 2 1 0 13 Paul Orndorff 198 3 3 0 14 Terry Gordy 188 1 1 0 15 Les Thornton 178 2 2 0 16 Chic Cullen 172 1 1 0 17 Bob Armstrong 172 1 1 0 18 Mr Wrestling II 171 1 1 0 19 Thunderbolt Patterson 170 1 1 0 20 The Spoiler 168 2 2 0 21 Departed Contender 167 0 0 0 22 Departed Midcarder 167 0 0 0 23 Eric Embry 160 1 1 0 24 Paul Ellering 154 1 1 0 25 Buzz Sawyer 131 1 3 1 26 Hawk 123 0 1 0 27 Joe Lightfoot 114 1 2 0 28 Brad Armstrong 103 1 2 0 29 Animal 96 0 1 0 30 Len Denton 96 1 3 0 31 Mr Wrestling I 95 0 1 0 32 Pat Rose 76 1 2 0 33 Randy Barber 75 0 2 0 34 The Iron Sheik 67 0 2 0 35 Tim Horner 63 1 3 0 36 Ronnie Garvin 62 1 3 0 37 Brett Wayne 48 0 2 0 38 Departed Jobber 33 0 2 0 39 Mike Starbuck 11 0 3 0

One random bit of info before we close out our review of the month.
Of the 10 most popular wrestlers in the United States (B- pop or higher)
-- three are retired: Lou Thesz, Haystacks Calhoun & Johnny Valentine
-- two are semi-active: Sheik of Araby & Bobo Brazil
-- just five are still active full-time: Andre the Giant (NJPW & WWF), Dusty Rhodes (CWF & MACW), Harley Race (CSTATE & AJPW), Mil Mascaras (CMLL & HCW), and Ric Flair (MACW).

Of the next 9 most popular (C+ in the US), the youngest active is Terry Funk at age 38 and seven of the group are over 40.

Talk about an opportunity for someone to climb to the top and stay there for a long time, sheesh.

**Real world note here, the Colley Matrix is one of two computer ranking systems available in reproduced form for your gaming needs at College Football Games and Tools - Team Ranker - Introduction Takes a little getting used to in order to get the data into the format required for input but there's an Excel template that helps a lot. Along with Colley, the Mease system is also there.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-17-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday Week 1, May 1983
Worried about our finances, I put out a half dozen calls looking for bodies that will work cheap without embarrassing us. Who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky & somebody has an alimony check due or something.

While we worry & stew & generally fret about our financial situation, the rest of the wrestling world carries on. HCW ran in New Orleans (C-) with Marty Lunde going to a double countout with Butch Reed to retain their Nationwide title … Central States was in Greenville, SC (C rating, 300 people) for Manny Fernandez to defend his CS HW belt over Harley Race in a solid match (B-). Jerry Oates also defended his TV title but will be out for about a month due to a blowout fracture (of what bone I’m not sure) … ASW ran a show in Cowichan Valley, BC where Al Tomko & Moose Morowski defeated Dean Ho & Buck Ramstead to claim the Canadian Hvywt Tag Team titles … AGPW was out in The Maritimes for Leo Burke to successfully defend their Int’l HW belt with a win over Gerry Morrow. Also on the card, The Spoiler beat The Cuban Assassin. … JPUK had Jonny Saint retain the World Ltwt Title with a win over Vic Faulkner … ASW-UK matches at Exeter included Fit Finlay with a win over Frank Manley and Mark Rocco & Mighty John Quinn defeating Chic Cullen & Mike Bennett … Out in Vegas, GLOW kicked off their tour at the Showboat Sports Pavillion with an 8 match card (E+, 2000 people sold out) that featured 24 workers highlighted by Tammy Jones defense of the GLOW Crown Title against Ashley Cartier.

Wednesday Week 1, May 1983

No returned calls yet, so we just quickly check out the competition near & far.

New Japan crowned Yoshiaki Fujiwara as this year’s MSG League champion with a final round win over Hulk Hogan … All Japan weekly TV was highlighted by Stan Hansen beating Tenryu … CWA-Europe results included Tony St. Clair beating Fit Finlay to retain their World Middleweight Title … JPUK had a title change, as Sid Cooper took the British Heavy-Middleweight belt from Blondie Barratt … CWA took their show up to Wisconsin where Jerry Lawler defended the AWA International title with a win over Moondog Rex … WWA ventured into our backyard, running at Macon(GA) Central High (D-) as Bobo Brazil defeated The Sheik of Araby in the opener and Dick the Bruiser teamed with Spike Huber for a main event win over Paul Christy & Igor Volkoff … CWF took their Endless Beach Tour to Staten Island, NY as The Purple Haze defeated Barry Windham to retain the Florida Hvywt Title. The Professional (Les Thornton) also defended the Florida TV title with a win over Mike Rotundo, and Jake Roberts kept the Bahamas title by beating Scott McGhee. Adrian Street took a loss, pinned by Blackjack Mulligan … Randy Savage defended the ICW Hvywt belt by beating Pez Whatley at a lightly attended (145) show in Texas, while our own Ronnie Garvin beat Crusher Bloomfield … Bruce & Bret Hart defended their Stampede tag titles by beating Leo Burke & Hubert Gallant on a decent (C-) show.

The okay showing probably wasn’t enough to make the moods around Calgary Stampede much better though, as their TV show was cancelled by TV Canada West. USA Network also pulled the plug on Southwest Championship Wrestling after weeks of disappointing ratings.

Meanwhile Maple Leaf Wrestling continues to collect workers, this time adding AWA midcarder “Dr. D” David Schults to one of the more interesting rosters in the business.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-18-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thursday Week 1, May 1983
Several notable shows around the world last night but the bigger news is that AJPW is the latest promotion to find themselves suddenly without the benefit of television. They’ve still got their weekly King’s Road shows to help keep them busy but with such a narrow advantage over New Japan, they cannot be happy about this development.

MACW was on the road in Wisconsin last night (C) for a solid outing headlined by Ric Flair beating Terry Funk in the main event … WCCW was also on tour but closer to home, selling out (5,000) in San Antonio as Terry Gordy beat David Von Erich to retain the Texas Hvywt title … The AWA also packed their bags, hitting Stockton, CA where a capacity crowd of 5,000 saw Nick Bockwinkel defeat Wahoo McDaniel to keep the AWA World title. Buzz Sawyer lost his bid to take the TV title from Greg Gagne while Larry Zbyszko teamed with Crusher Blackwell to best the Hennigs … The UWA ran a small show in southern Mexico and saw Los Villanos (I and III) take their World Tag Team belts from The Revenge Warriors (Sangre Chicana & Lobo Rubio) … In Puerto Rico, Carlos Colon retained the WWC Universal Hvywt belt by beating Bruiser Brody in the main event, after Pedro Morales & Abdullah the Butcher went to a no contest in the penultimate match of the night … Mid-South was in Iowa as Dick Murdoch defeated the Junkyard Dog.

As for us, I’m almost panicking as I see what sort of cards would be fiscally responsible, so I make a few more phone calls.

Thursday Week 1, May 1983 (con’t)

Stars of GCW On Tour ! – Franklinton (LA) High School - Attendance 300

Pre-show
Dave Finlay d. Mike Starbuck in 6:27 (D-) by pinfall with an Inverted Piledriver.
The announcing quality by Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary from Bob Armstrong gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

Bob Armstrong talks to Freddy Miller at ringside, getting ready for his upcoming match – 3 mins (E+)
The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it.

Regular Show
Mark Rocco d. Bob Armstrong in 11:52 (C-) by pinfall with a Tombstone Piledriver.
The colour commentary from The Spoiler gave the match a boost.

Mark Rocco tells Freddy Miller that GCW better be ready for him – 3 mins (D-)
The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it.

Chic Cullen d. Pat Rose in 6:26 (D-) by pinfall.
The announcing quality of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by Mark Rocco gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

The Spoiler tells the crowd just how good he is – 5 mins (C)

Eric Embry d. Joe Lightfoot in 8:18 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (D)
The announcing quality of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by The Spoiler gave the match a boost.

Wildfire Tommy Rich thanks the fans & says that Zbyszko hasn’t seen the last of him – 3 mins (D+) The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it.

Tommy Rich d. The Spoiler in 13:32 by pinfall with a Vertical Splash. (B-)
The 6 for the National HW Title storyline has continued with this match. This match lifted the crowd.

Final Show Rating: C
This show can be considered a success, it should have increased our popularity.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-19-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Friday Week 1, May 1983

Well that wasn’t easy but it turned out okay. Freddy Miller did a fine job handling the ringside pbp role, with other workers on the card already filling in his commentary spot. As we’ve done in the past, we used referee Ronnie West exclusively on the show since he’s under written contract just like Miller, saving Scrappy McGowen for TV & end of the month. We probably could have drawn another 100-125 people but opted to go with a smaller building that we could fill to capacity.

Still, even as careful as we tried to be, we lost about $4,100 dollars with $2100 in ticket sales but $6,200 in the workers and the building. And that probably went about as well as it could have all things considered, with more worries coming from the fact that while this so-so show actually helped us in a region where we aren’t well known, it actually would have hurt us in the South East and would have done us no good in the Great Lakes.

So … meh. I don’t feel like I solved anything, just dodged a bullet for another day or two.

A bullet that I’m rapidly growing tired of dodging is the free spirited Buzz Sawyer. Once again last night he simply fails to show up, rendering any decision about whether to use him a moot point. He’s been notified that he’s suspended for one week up to this point, and I really can’t see anything left for me to do except either job him out before firing him outright or start drinking heavily & hope I can get too drunk to be mad about his antics. Well, there’s those options and dangling his contract to other promotions for some cheaper equivalent talent to provide some temporary help.

To wit:
-- GCW makes Sawyer the problem of one Jerry Lawler for 3 shows, in return for three apperances by Ricky Morton ($800 p.a.)
-- GCW sends Sawyer to SECW for 3 shows, in return for three appearances by Dennis Condrey ($500 p.a.)

On a more permanent basis we also found some relatively affordable help I think, at least he will be if I can get people to believe he isn’t a villain (for a while). We agreed to terms, 9 months for $650 p.a., with Bobby Eaton. He’s a former NWA/GCW National TV champion, holding the belt for less than a month back in January 1981 as a heel sandwiched between the reigns of Steve Olsnowski. He’s back, having turned over a new leaf (or at least claiming he has). We’ll see how the fans react to him this time around. He’s a better heel of course, but struggles on the mic regardless, and with most of our ring talent working the heel side of the street we really needed to have him bolster our face ranks until further notice.

Also getting some new work was Raging Bull Manny Fernandez, who agrees to terms with the AWA. He’s currently the reigning CSTATES Hvywt champion and one-half of the SWCW Tag Team champs with partner Bob Sweetan.

Elsewhere last night, PNW worked small show (C-, 2000 attendance) in the North West with Jules Strongbow going over Al Madril in the main event … MLW ran their Ringside Wrestling weekly TV program with Adrian Adonis over Tiger Jeet Singh in the main event only to learn immediately afterwards that the show has been dropped from the TV Canada East schedule effective immediately … NJPW house show featured a successful Int’l Hvywt Title defense by Tatsumi Fujinami against Abdullah the Butcher. Also on the show Inoki beat Choshu … CSTATES ran in CT, with Harley Race over Roger Kirby in the main event … The WWF visited Ocala, FL for In Your Neighborhood, Jimmy Snuka & Ray Stevens went to no contest. Superstar Billy Graham defeated Jose Luis Rivera and Don Muraco defended his Intercontinental title with a win over S.D. Jones … WCCW drew 941 in Michigan to see Iceman Parsons retain the TV title with a win over Great Kabuki, also Kerry Von Erich & Chris Adams beat Bill Irwin & Buddy Roberts in the main event … ICW was in Atlanta, borrowing the WTBS studios to draw 821 (D-) with a six man tag main event of Ronnie Garvin, Randy Savage, and Lanny Poffo beating Ratamyas, Pez Whatley and Crusher Bloomfield.

Saturday Week 1, May 1983
I’m sure the locker room will be buzzing (no pun intended) about the roster moves yesterday … until they hear the latest ones we’re making this morning.

A couple of easy ones first
-- Gentleman Chris Adams overestimates his value, asking for $1,111 per show. No thanks. Next.

-- Koko B. Ware, we sign him quickly for 9 months at $450 p.a. (down from his $474 asking price)
He’s versatile in the ring, he’s above average on the mic, has more charisma than most of our roster, and has a former tag team partner already on the roster in Bobby Eaton. What’s not to like?

The next two decisions were tougher.

-- El Halcon aka The Hawk aka Jose Luis Melchor Ortiz. On the upside he’s got popularity in the South West & the Mid South, largely based on his reigns as a WCCW tag team champion with both Jose Lothario (3x) and Kerry Von Erich. On the downside he’s relatively unknown elsewhere in the U.S. On the upside he speaks passable English, is solid in the basics, is athletic especially for his middleweight size, and is decent at worst as a brawler, a flyer, or a technician. On the downside he’s not going to help us or himself with the mic, he could be a better salesman in the ring, and he’s not likely to be a star for us. On the upside he wants less than $800 per show. On the downside he wants more than the $500-$600 per show I’d rather pay him. In the end, the deciding factor were the words “very nice” and “professional” that references kept saying about him. After a month of Buzz Sawyer, that has some appeal. We negotiate him down from $774 to $725 p.a. and agree to terms for nine months.

-- 31 year old Tony St. Clair, the current CWA Middleweight champion and 2x former British Heavyweight champion who has been working for both ASWUK and CWA(Europe). A main eventer in the UK and Europe, he’s pretty much unknown here & would have to start near the bottom. But as a technician who can brawl enough to hold his own, with some of the best charisma & mic skills of anyone we’ve got around the place, and with a little more respect from the boys in the back he should become a valuable locker room leader at some point. I really hate paying so much for him but I think he’s going to be worth it in the end, so with a little haggling we settle on $1,000 p.a. for the next 9 months.

Yes, we now have way too many people on the roster.
No, I don’t know what I’m going to do with all of them.
Yes, some of these (okay, nearly all of these) acquisitions are still too expensive for budget.
No, I don’t know what I’m going to do about that either.

But I can figure that out later, right now I just have to put together a show for tonight’s TV.

Quickly through the news in the business … Our own Iron Sheik has reached a per appearance deal with the AWA … We’ve recently inked a working agreement with Stu Hart’s Calgary Stampede … Tom Renesto has been named the head booker for Mid-South Wrestling, replacing the retiring Bill Watts … Our request for negotiations with TV Local Canada were rejected …

Last night, the AWA ran in the Mid West (C), with [b]Larry Zbyszko getting a win over Rick Martel … MACW was in Huntsville, AL, drawing 5,000 to watch a good show (C) headlined by Rick Steamboat & Jay Youngblood retaining their NWA World Tag Team belts with a win over Jerry Brisco & Greg Valentine. Ric Flair also kept the NWA World Heavyweight title by defeating Dory Funk, Jr. Our own Mike Starbuck did a job for Abe Jacobs in the undercard …MSW was in Arlington, TX (2,000, C) where Mr Wrestling II and Tiger Conway, Jr retained the Mid-South Tag Team titles with a victory over Ted DiBiase & Mr. Olympia. Also on the card, Kendo Nagasaki over Tim Horner … Just days after AJPW lost their TV show, New Japan’s World Pro Wrestling show was dropped by TV Asahi. That news came as AJPW ran King’s Road headlined by Stan Hansen & Ueda failing in their attempt to take the Int’l Tag Team titles from Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta … The UWA ran a small show in West Central Mexico last night, where Canek defeated Gran Hamada to keep the WWF World Lightweight belt. The mood there was very good, as the promotion announced that a TV deal for next season had been reached with TV Mexico South for a new show called “Lucha Total” … They weren’t the only promotion getting good TV news either, as AGPW will debut “Hittin’ Hard” on TV Local Canada-The Maritimes next season as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Week 1, May 1983, (con’t)
Georgia Championship Wrestling (TV) – 90 minutes at the Columbus (GA) Civic Center with 5,000 in attendance

Pre-show

Paul Ellering d. Mike Starbuck in 5:53 by pinfall (E+)
The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down. Paul Ellering is improving in Performance skills.

Gordon Solie introduces Koko B. Ware to the crowd & welcomes him to GCW – 3 mins (C)

Dave Finlay d. Randy Barber in 6:23 by pinfall with a Rolling Fireman's Carry Slam. (D-)
The announcing quality of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by Larry Zbyszko gave the match a boost.

TV Taping

Bob Armstrong d. Road Warrior Hawk in 5:46 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (C+)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The announcing quality lifted the match.

Gordon & Freddy discuss last Sunday’s title victory by Zbyszko – 4 mins (C+)

Koko B. Ware d. Pez Whatley in 8:26 by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. (C-)
The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost.

Ellering makes excuses for Hawk and hypes Animal – 3 mins (C)

Ronnie Garvin d. Road Warrior Animal in 6:04 by pinfall with a Garvin Stomp. During the match we also had Paul Ellering run in and attack Garvin. (C+)
Road Warrior Animal seemed off his game tonight. The match suffered because of the lack of selling on display. The announcing quality lifted the match.

Rick Hunter tells Gordon Solie he plans to be a fighting champion – 3 mins (C+)
Rick Hunter is learning to show more charisma. Rick Hunter is developing better performance skills.

Rick Hunter d. Emilio Charles, Jr in 10:58 by pinfall with a Russian Legsweep. Rick Hunter makes defence number 1 of his National Television title. (C-)
The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. Rick Hunter looked good out there. Emilio Charles Jr. is improving in Performance skills.

Paul Orndorff talks to Freddy Miller, Zbsyzko interrupts & argues with Orndorff, giving The Iron Sheik an opportunity to attack – 5 mins (C+)
Freddy Miller is improving at acting. The Iron Sheik is developing better performance skills.

Paul Orndorff d. The Iron Sheik in 13:01 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (B-)
The match suffered because of the lack of selling on display. The announcing quality lifted the match.

Mr Wrestling II tells Zbyszko his time is coming … and it might just be tonight – 4 mins [b](B)[/i]

Larry Zbyszko d. Mr. Wrestling II in 14:48 by pinfall with a Shoulder Breaker. Larry Zbyszko makes defence number 1 of his National Heavyweight title. (B-)
The announcing quality lifted the match.

Final Show Rating: C+
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sunday Week 1, May 1983
Not bad, but it sort of seemed like the total show was less than the sum of its parts somehow.
On the bright side, looks like we cleared a decent amount of cash with about $80k in ticket sales versus only $30k or so in costs, with the capacity crowd of 5,000 being our largest since I arrived. Of course, that doesn’t count all of our overhead for the month but if we could do a full house like that for all of the TV tapings then our income for the month should be up considerably & might get us near break even.

After the show, both Wrestling II and Mike Starbuck (talk about opposite ends of the spectrum) mentioned needing some time off due to all the work they’ve been doing lately. How come it is that people keep asking me to give them a break while they’re working steadily for other people?

A couple of personnel decisions to make today, both pretty easy really. Veteran referee Frenchy Bernard wanted $1,499 per show to come down from Canada, far too much for a guy who doesn’t even have a job at the moment. Veteran brawler Cyclone Negro is also unemployed but also wanted more than he was worth to us ($1,000 p.a.) and was thanked for his interest as we quickly passed on the opportunity. Very nice guy & all but at age 51 in semi-retirement that’s a laughable request frankly, at least for a promotion in the U.S.

Elsewhere last night, the CWA ran in Fremont, CA with Bill Dundee & Robert Gibson defeating the team of Phil Hickerson and The Spoiler … SECW was in Turnbull, CT (116 attendance) as The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey & Randy Rose) defeated Scott & Steve Armstrong and Olympia & Super Olympia teamed up to beat The Flame and Buzz Sawyer … CWA-Europe ran a small show that included Tony St. Clair defeating Michael Schneider to retain his CWA World Middleweight Title.

Monday Week 2, May 1983
Quiet day around here, kind of quiet everywhere really. The last few phone calls we have out to prospective employees haven’t been returned, no one has shown up complaining about anything, nobody got themselves arrested, hurt, or tried to set fire to a co-workers car. Almost makes me nervous.

A few shows last night including the WWF in Sheboygan, WI (2,000 att. C- rating), where Jimmy Snuka d. Sgt Slaughter in the main and Don Muraco d. Rocky Johnson to retain the Intercontinental title on the undercard … CWF ran in Spartanburg, SC (1,814 att, D rating) as Barry Windham defeated Don Kent in the main event, Ray Candy d. Adrian Street, and Jake Roberts kept his Bahamas title with a win over Scott McGhee … IWA ran in Quebec (4389 att., C rating) with Gilles Poisson retaining their International Hvywt belt with a victory over Raymond Rougeau.

Only one notable transaction this morning, as Hector Guerrero agrees to per appearance terms with Maple Leaf Wrestling.

Taking a look at the TV ratings for various wrestling shows for the past week …
GCW on TBS posted a 2.46, peaking in the 2nd half hour at 2.64 (up 0.25,our 2nd best to date)
AWA on US Small Synd II posted a 1.64 (up 0.03 for their best yet)
WWF on US Synd Small I posted a 1.52 (up 0.01)
Mid-Atlantic on Local TV posted a 0.75 (same)
WCCW Local-Mid South posted a 0.52 (down 0.07, lowest to date)
CWF Wrestling from Florida on Local-SE posted a 0.30 (same)
Mid-South on Local II posted a 0.18 (same)
WWC on WAPA/Puerto Rico posted a 0.16 (up 0.04, highest to date)
Big Time Wrestling on Local-NW posted a 0.12 (same)
CWA All-Stars on WMC posted a 0.10 (up 0.01)
GLOW on US Small Syn III posted a 0.08 (down 0.01)
Wrestling at the Chase (CENT) on Local MW II posted a 0.08 (up 0.01, best yet)
SECW on Local SE II posted a 0.00 (same)
ICW All-Stars on WTVQ posted a 0.00 (same)
HCW on Local – Mid South III posted a 0.00 (same)
CWA on Local – Grt Lks III posted a 0.00 (same)
SWCW on USA cancelled finishing on a 0.34

CMLL on Telemundo posted a 1.23 (down 0.02, lowest to date)
ITV World of Sport on ITV posted a 0.60 (down 0.03)
IWM on Local Quebec posted a 0.39 (up 0.02)
World Pro Wrestling (NJPW) on ASAHI cancelled finishing on a 1.51
Puroresu Chukei (AJPW) on Nippon TV cancelled on a 1.50
Ringside Wrestling (MLW) on TV Canada East cancelled on a 0.90
Stampede Wrestling on TV Canada West cancelled on a 0.28
Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday Week 2, May 1983

Before we check the news, three roster additions to consider as we get some phone calls returned.

Had a nice conversation with Sputnik Monroe, a former Georgia Heavyweight champion who has a strong personality, is respected by the boys in the back, and knows his stuff. Great conversation. Unfortunately there’s no chance in hell I’m going to pay him more than $2,000 per appearance for being a nice guy. Next.

George “Crybaby” Cannon was the next call. Good conversation with him too. The big Canadian would be great in the back for us as a jack of all trades, but his asking price of $1,732 p.a. is far too steep for what I’m looking for right now. Will keep him in mind for something down the road someday if the bank account ever looks good though.

The last call was the toughest decision, as we spoke at length with Dick Graham, the veteran announcer from Phladelphia. He’s probably a little better than Freddy Miller as the lead guy on the broadcast, nowhere near as good as Solie of course. He wanted $1,160 p.a. with no downside, we countered with $1000 p.a. & a $500 downside (knowing that we would use him at least once a month if we signed him). He said that was a little low, we came back with $975 p.a. & an $800 downside, no dice. Last try, we go back to $1, 000 per, with $850 downside & a (meaningless) creative control clause. Still couldn’t hook him but we agreed to talk again tomorrow. Here’s the thinking behind this even being considered: if we use him once a month instead of Solie, we save on Gordon’s $1,900 per show, and Graham + Miller on commentary is probably a little stronger than Miller + random wrestler on commentary. Even a $900 savings per show is the difference between using $100 Pat Rose versus $1000 for The Spoiler, and that’s a pretty big difference. But I can’t seem to get quite comfortable with having a spare part make over $1k per show either.

Elsewhere last night, HCW ran in Arizona again, with The Masked Superstar going over Mr. Olympia in their main event … ASW was in Quebec (142 att., E+ show) as Moose Morowski retained his Canadian Hvywt belt with a win over Buck Ramstead … AGPW worked in the Maritimes (C-) as Leo Burke defeated The Cuban Assassin to retain the Int’l Hvywt title and The Spoiler was too much for Gerry Morrow … ASW-UK visited Scotland (C-) where Mark Rocco defeated Marty Jones to defend his World Heavy-Middleweight strap, Tony St. Clair d. Frank Manley, and Dave Finlay and partner Skull Murphy came up short against Chic Cullen and Steve Wright … CMLL ran a packed show in West Central Mexico (2,000 att. C-) with 10 matches & 38 workers headlined by El Faraon & Ultraman defeating Babe Face & El Dandy to retain their World Tag Team titles … And, speaking of top heavy, GLOW took their tour on the road to Williston, FL (300 att. E rating) as Tammy Jones defended her GLOW Crown by beating Meeka the Headhunter. Also on the card The Cheerleaders retained the GLOW Tag Team belts with a win over Colonel Ninotchka & Spanish Red while Mt. Fiji & California Doll beat Hollywood & Vine.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-21-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday Week 2, May 1983

Still having a hard time making a decision, so we’ll check the news first.

Abdullah the Butcher has extended his ppa deal with the WWC, no surprise there. Rumor has it that MACW is working on an extension for The Great Muta as well.

CWA-Europe took their tour to the western part of the region (1,824 att, C- rating) as Otto Wanz defended their World Hvywt title with a win over Klaus Kauroff, Tony St. Clair made another World Middleweight defense by beating Mile Zrno and Dave Finlay lost to Moose Morwoski … JPUK was in Scotland (831 att, C- rating) for successful title defenses by Johnny Saint & Steve Grey over Alan Dennison & Blondie Barratt respectively … The WWA took Bruiser’s Bedlam on tour with a visit to Fremont, CA as Chris Markoff retained the WWA title with a win over Steve Regal … CWF’s Endless Beach Tour went to Indianapolis (1,000 at, D+ rating) with Leroy Brown taking the Florida TV title from The Professional (Les Thornton) after just one successful defense … CWA went to the Mid West (1,000 att, D- rating) where Jerry Lawler defended the AWA Southern Hvywt belt with a win over Austin Idol, Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware beat Jacques Rougeau & King Cobra, and Bart Sawyer teamed with Moondog Rex to defeat Ricky Morton & Rick Link.

After much reflection, I’ve decided I’m over thinking this. I offer Dick Graham $1,150 per show, he quickly agrees & he’s on board for the next 9 months. If all else fails I’ll just release him or not use him.

Thursday Week 2, May 1983

Getting ready for tonight’s road show, checking to see who did what to whom last night. MACW ran in Delaware (5,000 & C) highlighted by Ric Flair beating Dory Funk, Jr to defend the NWA World Heavyweight Title … Mid-South wrestling came to Atlanta (1,000 & C) where Ted DiBiase defended their North American Hvywt title by beating The Junkyard Dog, Mr. Wrestling II defeated Matt Borne, and The Epidemic (King Kong Bundy & Wild Bill Irwin) squashed Art Crews and Tim Horner … The AWA visited the Municipal Auditorium in South Dakota (5,000 & C) where Ken Patera & David Schults d. Rick Martel & Jim Brunzell in the main event. Also on the show, Nick Bockwinkel defended the AWA World Heavyweight belt with a win over Baron Von Raschke, Greg Gagne beat Buzz Sawyer to retain the AWA TV Title, Crusher Blackwell and Larry Zbsyzko edged The Hennigs, and Wahoo McDaniel & Manny Fernandez teamed to best The Iron Sheik and Mr. Saito … WCCW went on tour visiting Phoenix (1,000 & D) with Freebirds Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy defeating Kerry & Mike Von Erich to retain their American Tag Team Titles … The WWC visited Brooklyn (300 & D+) where Abdullah the Butcher & Bruiser Brody defeated Carlos Colon & The Invader to retain their WWC World Tag Team titles … Down in Mexico, the UWA ran another solid show (2,000 & C) with highlights including Perro Aguayo beating Villano I to keep their World Junior Hvywt belt.

Word today that The Assassin has extended his p.a. deal with PNW and that Jim Brunzell has done the same with the IWA.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thursday Week 2, May 1983 (con’t)

Stars of GCW On Tour ! – Rock Island (IL) Fieldhouse - Attendance 1,000 (sold out)

Pre-show

Koko B. Ware d. Tim Horner in 5:48 by pinfall with a Brainbuster. (D)
The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost.

Eric Embry works the crowd & hypes himself – 3 mins (E+)

Regular Show
Ole Anderson d. Len Denton in 11:44 by pinfall with an Anderson Running Knee. (C)
The colour commentary from Jake Roberts gave the match a boost.

Ole thanks the fans and celebrates with them on his way to the back – 4 mins (C)

Chic Cullen d. Masa Fuchi in 6:04 by pinfall. (D)
The announcing of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by Jake Roberts gave the match a boost.

Wildfire Tommy Rich talks to Freddy Miller (and the crowd) – 3 mins (C)
Tommy Rich is developing better performance skills.

Eric Embry d. Brad Armstrong in 7:45 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (D+)
Brad Armstrong was visibly tiring toward the end. Eric Embry and Brad Armstrong have great chemistry, and it showed in their performances. The performance of Eric Embry stood out as being good. Brad Armstrong is improving in Rumble skills.

Jake Roberts hypes the main event – 5 mins (C+)

Tommy Rich d. Jake Roberts in 13:31 by pinfall with a Wildfire Driver. (B-)

Friday Week 2, May 1983

A good enough showing I guess, helped us a little just about everywhere except the South East where they expect a little more but it did no harm which is a good thing too.

As usual, Thursday night was one of the busiest for other promotions too. CMLL sold out 2,000 seats in Southern Mexico (C- rating), JPUK sold out 2,000 in London (C- rating), and Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Abdullah the Butcher in Kanto for New Japan to keep the WWF Int’l Heavyweight title … WCCW sold out in Commerce, TX (5,000 & C) as The Freebirds (Gordy, Hayes, and Roberts) retained their 6 Man Tag Titles by beating David, Kevin, and Kerry … CENT visited Bronx High School (300 & C-) where Roger Kirby beat Harley Race in the main event … PNW went to the Showboat in Nevada (1560 & D+) for Rip Oliver to beat Jules Strongbow … The WWA ran in Iowa (870 & D) where Chris Markoff beat Steve Regal in the main event … ICW was at Northside (IN) High School where Randy Savage beat Ratamyas in the main to defend his ICW Hvywt belt & Pez Whatley defeated Mike Doggendorff to keep his ICW TV Title … The WWF sold out (5000 & C) Mid-Hudson (NY) Civic Center to see Bob Backlund retain the WWF Heavyweight Title with a win over Don Muraco and The Wild Samoans defend the tag belts against The Invaders. Down the card a bit, Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant teamed up to defeat Ivan Putski & Tito Santana …

And some extensions of existing agreements making the news include The Masked Superstar with New Japan, El Satanico with CMLL, Frank D’Amato staying with GLOW, Dave Brown with the CWA, and Mr. Fuji staying with the WWF.

Saturday Week 2, May 1983

Time to get ready for tonight’s show, and complaints about lack of use have been duly noted from Stan Hansen, Adrian Street, Les Thornton, Terry Gordy, and (of course) Jim Barnett.

Last night’s action around the biz included an AWA show in Texas (759 & C-) where Nick Bockwinkel & Larry Zbyszko teamed up to beat Wahoo McDaniel & Manny Fernandez … MACW went to the Mid West (1,000 & C) as Ric Flair defended the NWA World Hvywt Title with a win over Jos LeDuc … Mid-South was in Dallas (2,000 & C-) where Ted DiBiase retained his North American title with a win over Butch Reed, JYD & Mr. Wrestling II defeated Matt Borne & Buddy Landell, and Tim Horner pinned Mike Bond … The CWA visited Sarasota, FL (2,000 & C-) as The Fabulous Ones retained the Southern Tag Team titles with a victory over Austin Idol & Buzz Sawyer and Bobby Eaton beat Bill Dundee … AJPW had Jumbo Tsuruta defending the NWA United National Heavyweight Title with a win over Terry Funk, Stan Hansen defeated The Mighty Inoue, and Umanosuke Ueda kept their TV title by beating Harley Race … The WWC had Pedro Morales over Hercules Ayala … The UWA show in Northern Mexico included Perro Aguayo defending their World Junior Ltwt belt with a win over Black Terry … A small independent show in West Central Mexico drew a sparse crowd (16 & D) featuring Fuerza Guerrera over Espectro Jr and Mascara Sagrada beating Villano IV.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-22-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Week 2, May 1983, (con’t
Georgia Championship Wrestling (TV) – 90 minutes at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum with 5,000 in attendance (sold out)

Pre-show
Pez Whatley d. Thunderbolt Patterson in 5:46 by pinfall with a Flying Willie Headbutt. (C)
The colour commentary from Stan Hansen gave the match a boost.

Rick Hunter talks to Freddy Miller about being the TV champion – 3 mins (D)
The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it. Rick Hunter is learning to show more charisma. Rick Hunter is developing better performance skills.

TV Taping
Terry Gordy d. Bullet Bob Armstrong in 10:09 by pinfall with a Powerbomb. (B)
Terry Gordy and Bullet Bob Armstrong have great chemistry, and it showed in their performances. The announcing quality by Dick Graham wasn't up to the same standard as the match. This match lifted the crowd.

Larry Zbyszko talks about … being Larry Zbyszko – 5 minutes B

Randy Barber & Tim Horner d. Masa Fuchi & Pat Rose in 5:42 when Randy Barber defeated Masa Fuchi by pinfall. (E+)
The announcing quality of Dick Graham lifted the match. The colour commentary of Freddy Miller gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

Rick Hunter d. Les Thornton in 9:36 by pinfall with a Russian Legsweep. Rick Hunter makes defence number 2 of his National Television title. (C+)

Eric Embry talks to Freddy Miller about how he’s going to rise through the ranks – 3 mins (D-) The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it. Eric Embry is learning to show more charisma.

Bobby Eaton d. Eric Embry in 7:38 by pinfall with an Alabama Jam. (D+)
Bobby Eaton and Eric Embry just don't click at all, and it showed in their performances. The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. Bobby Eaton is improving in Performance skills.

Adrian Street hypes upcoming main event, talks about what a “physical specimen” Stan Hansen is – 5 mins (C+)

Larry Zbyszko d. Ronnie Garvin in 12:15 by pinfall with a Shoulder Breaker. Larry Zbyszko makes defence number 2 of his National Heavyweight title. (C)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The 6 for the National HW Title storyline has continued with this match.

Stan Hansen tells Zbyszko he better not get used to that belt, because the lariat is coming – 5 mins (B+)

Stan Hansen d. Adrian Street in 13:33 by pinfall with The Lariat. (C+)
Stan Hansen is improving in Technical skills.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sunday Week 2, May 1983
Several matches that didn’t work out like we expected, including a less than spectacular return for Bobby Eaton but I guess some nights are just like that. Terry Gordy was considerably later to arrive than he was supposed to be too, but since he was part of the best match of the night it’s kind of tough to really give him a hard time about it. Against my better judgment most likely, I’m going to let it slide this time.

Masa Fuchi’s appearance in last night’s tag match was the final one under his loan from MACW. A pair of D rated matches as a single’s performer & an E+ without much to work with last night, all in all not bad really. Also completing a loan assignment was Buzz Sawyer who was 1-2 in his outings with the CWA.

In a somewhat amusing development, after last night’s win Randy Barber complained that he wanted a better push (to lower midcarder). I’m happy enough to oblige on paper but if he thinks he’s suddenly going to start going over people he’s out of his flippin’ tree. I swear, give a guy one little win & suddenly he thinks he’s Lou Thesz.

Only a few other promotions ran last night, including CWA in Brooklyn (252 & D-) with Jerry Lawler going over Buzz Saywer … SECW went to Tampa (1,593 & D) as Mr. Olympia defeated Punk Rock Ferris to retain the Alabama Heavyweight title … WWC visited West Monroe, LA (261 & D+) as Carlos Colon beat Bruiser Brody to retain their Universal Hvywt title and Pedro Morales bested Abdullah the Butcher.

Rumor has WCCW ready to resign Iceman Parsons, just as MACW has completed resigning The Great Kabuki.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 3, May 1983

Last night the WWF visited Lewiston, ME (2,000 & C) as Sgt. Slaughter d. Pedro Morales and Don Muraco d. Roddy Piper to defend the Intercontinental Title … The CWF stayed close to home, running TV from the Roberts Arena in Sarasota (2,000 & C). The Purple Haze defeated Barry Windham to defend the Florida Hvywt Title, Adrian Street beat B.Brian Blair, and Jake Roberts pinned Leroy Brown to retain the Florida Bahamas Title … IWM was in Montreal (5,000 & C) where Dino Bravo defeated Raymond Rougeau in the main event.

Two more TV cancellations due to low ratings, as WTVQ cancels ICW All-Stars and Great Lakes III cancels the CWA show. Our approach to WAPA-TV in Puerto Rico to possibly carry GCW TV was rejected as they did not feel we were popular enough to take on. No big deal, figured it was worth a try.

Taking a look at the TV ratings for various wrestling shows for the past week
GCW on TBS posted a 2.64, peaking in the 2nd half hour at 2.84 (up 0.18,our best to date)
WWF on US Synd Small I posted a 1.66 (up 0.14, highest to date & back into 2nd)
AWA on US Small Synd II posted a 1.50 (down 0.14)
Mid-Atlantic on Local TV posted a 0.74 (down 0.01)
WCCW Local-Mid South posted a 0.61 (up 0.09)
CWF Wrestling from Florida on Local-SE posted a 0.32 (up 0.02)
Mid-South on Local II posted a 0.28 (up 0.10, highest to date)
WWC on WAPA/Puerto Rico posted a 0.17 (up 0.01, highest to date)
Big Time Wrestling on Local-NW posted a 0.12 (same)
CWA All-Stars on WMC posted a 0.10 (same)
GLOW on US Small Syn III posted a 0.07 (down 0.01)
Wrestling at the Chase (CENT) on Local MW II posted a 0.08 (same)
CWA on Local – Grt Lks III cancelled finishing on a 0.00
ICW All-Stars on WTVQ cancelled on a 0.00

CMLL on Telemundo posted a 1.42 (up 0.24, highest rating to date)
ITV World of Sport on ITV posted a 0.58 (down 0.02)
IWM on Local Quebec posted a 0.44 (up 0.05, highest to date)
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday Week 3, May 1983

Quiet around the GCW offices today, just waiting for Thursday to arrive at this point.

Elsewhere last night HCW visited Pine Bluff, AR (1,808 & C-) with Kamala going over Gino Hernandez in the main event & Marty Lunde defeating Art Crews to retain their Nationwide Title … SECW went to Newark (DE) High School (295 & E+) for Bob Armstrong to successfully defend the Southeastern Hvywt Title with a victory over Plowboy Frazier, Bart Saywer & The Flame defeated Randy Rose & Norvell Austin, and Brad Armstrong pinned Mike Jackson … ASW went to British Columbia (1,000 & D) where Al Tomko & Moose Morowski beat Dean Ho & Buzz Tyler to defend their Canadian Hvywt Tag Team belts … AGPW went to the Moncton Capital Theatre (1,000 & C-) where Leo Burke defeated Gerry Morrow to retain their International Hvywt Title, and The Spoiler & Ron Ritchie were winners over Pierre Lefebvre & Hubert Gallant … ASW-UK sold out Birmingham Town Hall in the Midlands as Mal Sanders defeated Mark Rocco to keep the ASWUK Championship, Tony St. Clair & Terry Jowett paired up to defeat Chic Cullen & Mighty John Quinn, and Skull Murphy & Dave Finlay beat Johnny Savage & Mike Bennett … GLOW took their tour to Orange County (VA) HS (300 & E) where Tammy Jones defeated Vine to retain the GLOW Crown, the Cheerleaders beat the Headhunters to remain GLOW Tag Team champs, and Tina Ferrari & Mt. Fiji were too much for California Doll & Vivian Vachon.

Wednesday Week 3, May 1983

Still quiet here but some interesting grist in the rumor mill as CWF is reportedly considering allowing Gordon Solie’s contract with them to expire without renewal. Although I don’t believe they’ll actually do it, they could be thinking about moving color commentator Buddy Colt to the lead role & shifting any of several candidates to the second slot including Oliver Humperdink, J.J. Dillon, John Heath, or even Dusty Rhodes hisself.

Speaking of CWF, their Endless Beach Tour was in San Antonio (1,000 & D+) last night as The Purple Haze retained the Florida Hvywt with a defense against Blackjack Mulligan, Jake Roberts again defended his Bahamas Title by beating Ron Bass, and Leroy Brown defeated The Professional (Les Thornton) to keep the Florida Television belt … The WWA was on Staten Island (241 & D) where Chris Markoff defeated Steve Regal to remain WWA Heavyweight champion … CWA went to West Virginia (300 & D-) where Jerry Lawler & Ricky Morton beat Dirty Dutch Mantell & Moondog Spot and The New York Assassins defeated Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware … JPUK was in Newcastle (2,000 & C-) as Saint & Breaks beat Giant Haystacks & Mal Kirk … CWA-Europe saw Otto Wanz defeat Axel Dieter to keep the CWA World Hvywt Title while Tony St. Clair was too much for Mile Zrno & remains their World Middleweight champion.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thursday Week 3, May 1983

Results from around the rest of the world last night include MACW running in Sarasota, FL (2,000 & C) where Dusty Rhodes defeated Jos LeDuc … MSW in West Virginia (300 & D+) for The Junkyard Dog beating Dick Murdoch … The AWA visited Michigan (2,000 & C) where Ken Patera & Larry Zbyszko went to a double count out with Baron Von Raschke & Wahoo McDaniel, Jim Brunzell beat Buzz Sawyer, and The Iron Sheik defeated Brad Rheingans … WCCW sold out the Tulsa Convention Center (5,000 & C-) with Freebirds Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy defeating David & Kerry Von Erich, Iceman Parsons retained the TV title with a win over The Great Kabuki, and Kevin Von Erich kept their American Hvywt belt with a victory over Buddy Jack Roberts … The WWC stayed at home (2,000 & C) with fans seeing Carlos Colon retain the Universal Hvywt title with a win over Abdullah the Butcher and Bruiser Brody pinning Invader III.

The WWF is reportedly negotiating a contract extension with Rocky Johnson, ICW is said to be working to re-sign Bart Battan, and GLOW wants to keep Olympia. Iceman Parsons has agreed to an extension with World Class & will stick around for the Texas promotion.

Thursday Week 3, May 1983 (con’t)

Stars of GCW On Tour ! – Albuquerque Pavilllion - Attendance 586
Pre-show

El Halcon d. Randy Barber in 6:30 by pinfall. (D+)
The announcing quality of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by Ole Anderson gave the match a boost. El Halcón looked good out there. El Halcón is improving in Performance skills.

Ole Anderson joins Freddy Miller to hype GCW & tonight’s show – 3 mins [b](D+)[/i]

Regular Show
The Spoiler d. Ole Anderson in 11:53 by pinfall with a Tightrope Clawhold. (C_-)
The Spoiler and Ole Anderson don't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout. Ole Anderson is improving in Technical skills.

The Spoiler celebrates by insulting the fans – 5 mins (C)

Pez Whatley d. Brett Wayne in 6:09 by pinfall with a Flying Cross Body Block. (D-)
Pez Whatley and Brett Wayne have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match. The announcing quality of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary of The Spoiler gave the match a boost.

El Halcon talks to Freddy Miller about how much he enjoys being in Albuquerque – 3 mins (D-)
The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it. El Halcón is developing better performance skills.

Ricky Morton d. Emilio Charles, Jr. in 7:51 by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. (C-)
The colour commentary by The Spoiler gave the match a boost.

Wildfire stops by to hype main event with Freddy – 4 mins (C+)
Tommy Rich is developing better performance skills.

Tommy Rich d. Terry Gordy in 14:11 by pinfall with a Wildfire Driver. (C+)
Tommy Rich and Terry Gordy just don't click at all, and it showed in their performances.

Final Show Rating: C
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #67
Izulde
Head Coach

Rick Hunter seems to be doing pretty well at the midcard-ish level for you. How old is he again?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Rick Hunter seems to be doing pretty well at the midcard-ish level for you. How old is he again?

47, and surprisingly durable considering his C+ body & C legs, with C resillience.
He's solid in the ring thanks to B- to B+ grades for all of the basics as well as stamina.

I think he's proving to be so reliable for me at the moment in part because I'm his only contract, so the only time he works is once a week for me as opposed to somebody like Wrestling II who is working for both me & Mid-South and seems to be complaining about workload/triggering fatigue warnings almost every time out.

I kind of like the way things have gone with Hunter from the standpoint of the mod portraying him as a guy that nobody ever really ran with (and I'm not planning to push him much higher than he is now either) but who had a solid set of skills that made him a valuable member of the roster. A similar effect seems to be in play off my roster for the same age Abduallah the Butcher, who works either 3 or 4 shows per week with only D+ stamina & C- resillience but is still only getting the "first signs of fatigue" message on his physical condition.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Friday Week 3, May 1983
Our weakest show in a couple of weeks and we lose money on top of it. Yippee.
I’m not in the best of moods after that outing, so it takes all my restraint not to overreact about the fact that The Iron Sheik showed up terribly late last night. Okay, that’s his freebie, he doesn’t get another one.

Okay, might as well see how much better everybody else did than us last night, I sure don’t have to look very far to find out. The WWE sold out in Tempe, AZ (2,000 & C-) where Bob Backlund defeated Afa to retain their Heavyweight title, and Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant were far too much for the team of Ivan Putski & Tito Santana to handle … WCCW sold out in Minneapolis (2,000 & D+) with a main event double count out for Sweet Brown Sugar & Jimmy Garvin … CSTATE sold out in Iowa (2,000 & D+) as Bob Brown & Buzz Tyler defeated Tank Patton & Mark Romero to retain their Tag Team belts … PNW sold out on their home turf (2,000 & C) as Dutch Savage pinned Rip Oliver in the main … CMLL sold out a show in Northern Mexico (2,000 & C-) where Lizmark beat Gran Apache in the main event … JPUK ran their TV taping with Saint & Breaks going to a double count out with Faulkner & Nagasaki .. New Japan ran a full card of eleven matches in front of a capacity crowd in Tohoku (2,000 & C-) that watched Tatsumi Fujinami defend the WWF Int’l Hvy title by beating Riki Choshu and Tiger Mask pinned Dynamite Kid to retain the WWF Jr. Hvywt belt.

We’ve chosen to end our non-aggression pact with Maple Leaf Wrestling, hoping to renegotiate it into a working agreement. The first part of that is done, we’ll see how they react to the second part soon enough I guess.

Saturday Week 3, May 1983
So I arrive to prepare for the TV taping & it’s like Grand Central Station around here as people want to complain about the recent workload. Or more accurately, the lack thereof. Mark Rocco, Tony St. Clair, Mr. Wrestling II, Paul Orndorff, The Iron Sheik, Hawk, and Animal are all up in arms about not being used enough. And of course Jim Barnett wanted to gripe about his lack of face time too. Egomaniacal old fart. And speaking of ego problems, Brett Wayne isn’t happy about jobbing either. Barnett I have to keep relatively happy, Wayne quite a bit less so.

I wonder if all the people running shows last night had as many headaches as I do? The AWA was in Santa Monica (2,00 & C-) where Greg Gagne defended his TV title by beating David Schultz … The WWC visited the Mid West (149 & D+) as Bob Sweetan defeated Pierre Lefebvre to claim their North American Hvywt Title … MACW ran a packed card at the Riviera Hotel & Casino (1,000 & C) as Ric Flair retained the NWA World Heavyweight Title by beating Ivan Koloff, Greg Valentine defeated Ricky Steamboat to retain the US Hvywt title, and The Assassin pinned Mike Starbuck … CWF went to Puerto Rico (1,000 & D) as The Purple Haze beat Barry Windham to keep the Florida Hvywt belt, Blackjack Mulligan & Bob Roop teamed to beat Kevin Sullivan & The Professional (aka Les Thornton), Bobby Duncam & Adrian Street were too much for Ray Candy & Terry Allen, and Jake Roberts defended his Bahamas Title again with a victory over Leroy Brown … MSW went to Louisiana (2,000 & C) for a title change, as Dick Murdoch & Kamala took the Mid-South Tag Team Titles from Mr. Wrestling II & Tiger Conway, Jr after three defences. Also on the show Tim Horner defeated Art Crews … AGPW was in Moncton (1,000 & C) where Leo Burke successfully defended their International Hvywt title by beating The Spoiler.

The Universal Wrestling Association has been making strides lately but apparently it hasn’t been working well enough at the box office at they release 10 workers from their per appearance contracts, including Super Kendo, Villano V, Black Terry, and Fantasma
Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Week 3, May 1983, (con’t
Georgia Championship Wrestling (TV) – 90 minutes at the Boutwell Memorial Auditorium in Birmingham, AL with xxxxx in attendance

Pre-show

Mike Starbuck d. Pat Rose in 5:33 by disqualification. (E-)
The announcing of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by Stan Hansen gave the match a boost. The finish to the match didn't go down well at all, the fans hated it. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

Paul Ellering hypes The Road Warriors who pose in the background – 3 mins (C)

Brad Armstrong d. Paul Ellering in 5:54 by pinfall with a Side Russian Leg Sweep. (E+)
The announcing of Gordon Solie lifted the match. The colour commentary of Freddy Miller gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

TV Taping
Ole Anderson & Stan Hansen d. The Road Warriors in 5:40 when Hansen defeated Animal by pinfall with The Lariat. During the match we also had Paul Ellering attack Anderson from the apron. (C+)
Road Warrior Animal seemed off his game tonight. The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The announcing quality lifted the match. The performance of Stan Hansen stood out as being good. Ole Anderson is improving in Rumble skills.

Hansen & Anderson grab mics to warn Zbyszko that one of them will take his title – 5 mins (B)
The 6 for the National HW Title storyline has continued with this segment.

Mark Rocco d. Ricky Morton in 7:43 by pinfall with a Tombstone Piledriver. (C-)

A backstage camera sees Larry Zbyszko talking to The Iron Sheik – 3 mins (C+)

Tony St. Clair d. The Iron Sheik in 10:17 by pinfall. (C-)
Tony St. Clair and The Iron Sheik don't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout. The announcing quality lifted the match.

Buzz Sawyer interrupts the start of an interview with Gordon Solie & Mr. Wrestling II, leading to an argument between the two wrestlers – 5 mins (B)
Buzz Sawyer is developing better performance skills.

Rick Hunter d. Pez Whatley in 9:33 by pinfall with a Russian Legsweep. Rick Hunter makes defence number 3 of his National Television title.

Mr. Wrestling II d. Buzz Sawyer in 11:57 by submission with a Sleeperhold. (B)
This match lifted the crowd.

Larry Zbyszko takes verbal shots at both Hansen & Anderson, and then Orndorff as an afterthought – 5 mins (B)

Larry Zbyszko d. Paul Orndorff in 13:36 by pinfall with a Shoulder Breaker. Larry Zbyszko makes defence number 3 of his National Heavyweight title. (B-)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. This match lifted the crowd.

Final Show Rating: B
Old 02-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sunday Week 3, May 1983
I feel as though I should be more excited about last night than I am. I don’t know whether it’s knowing how much that episode of TV just cost us from the bank account or whether it’s getting some of the best ratings of the night from Buzz Sawyer who I swear has no future here due to his antics or what,but I’m a lot more meh about our best show since the April end of the month spectacular than I ought to be.

Maybe it’s the little things, like Dennis Condrey showing up very late for the show. When you’re late before you even make an appearance that’s not exactly endearing. Or maybe it’s the “I’ve been working so hard lately I really need some rest” conversation with Mark Rocco who we’ve got tabbed for big things. You’re just 29 years old, suck it up a little.

Light schedule last night, with the CWA selling out in Tampa (2,000 & C-) as The Bruise Brothers (Terry Graham & Porkchop Cash) beat Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware and The Fabulous Ones (Keirn & Lane) defended their Southern Tag Team titles with a win over Austin Idol & Moondog Rex … SECW played to a small house in the Mid West (146 & D-) with Bullet Bob Armstrong retaining the Southeastern Hvywt title with a victory against Super Olympia … Calgary Stampede was in The Prairies (1,000 & C-) where Bret Hart beat Davey Boy Smith to keep the CSW North American Hvywt belt … Al Tomko took ASW to a high school in Ontario (137 & D-) as Moose Morowski kept their Canadian Hvywt strap by beating Buck Ramstead.

After the ASW show, they released four wrestlers from the p.a. contracts, including Honky Tonk Man Wayne Ferris, Leatherface Rick Patterson, and Lobsterman Jeff Costa.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 4, May 1983

Another fairly light schedule for the major (and mid-major) promotions, headlined by the WWF at the Hamburg (PA) Fieldhouse (4,700 & C+) where Andre the Giant defeated Sgt. Slaughter in the main event … CWF went to Joplin, MO (935 & C-) as The Purple Haze retained the Florida Hvywt title with a win over Dusty Rhodes and Jake Roberts continued his string of Bahamas Title defenses by beating Ron Bass … The IWA sold out Arena Maurice Richard (5,000 & C) highlighted by Gilles Poisson defeating Rick Martel in the main event … Mid-South Wrestling headed west to Fremont, CA (300 & D+) where The Iron Men (Murdoch & Kamala) beat Junkyard Dog & Mr. Wrestling II to retain the Mid-South Tag Team titles, Ted DiBiase kept their North American title by beating Butch Reed, Steve Williams pinned Tim Horner, Tiger Conway, Jr defeated Jim Neidhart, and Perry Jackson beat Ernie Ladd.

SWCW worker Chick Donovan will be dealing with a bad back for a while after some sort of freak accident/incident involving a bull. Details are still quite sketchy (and probably should remain that way). The WWF reached an agreement on a contract extension for Rocky Johnson, and Al Madril is reportedly close to reupping with PNW.

GCW on TBS posted a 2.65, peaking in the 2nd half hour at 2.84 (up 0.01,our best to date)
WWF on US Synd Small I posted a 1.65 (down 0.01)
AWA on US Small Synd II posted a 1.50 (same)
Mid-Atlantic on Local TV posted a 0.70 (down 0.04)
WCCW Local-Mid South posted a 0.48 (down 0.13, lowest to date)
CWF Wrestling from Florida on Local-SE posted a 0.35 (up 0.03)
Mid-South on Local II posted a 0.26 (down 0.02)
WWC on WAPA/Puerto Rico posted a 0.17 (same)
Big Time Wrestling on Local-NW posted a 0.13 (up 0.01, highest to date)
CWA All-Stars on WMC posted a 0.11 (up 0.01, equals their highest)
GLOW on US Small Syn III posted a 0.07 (same)
Wrestling at the Chase (CENT) on Local MW II posted a 0.07 (down 0.01)

CMLL on Telemundo posted a 1.23 (down 0.19, equals their lowest)
ITV World of Sport on ITV posted a 0.59 (up 0.01)
IWM on Local Quebec posted a 0.41 (down 0.03)
Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday Week 4, May 1983
Another Tuesday, another quiet day before we get serious about the end of the week, including finalizing plans for our Sunday end of the month show.

HCW took their monthly Big Show on the road to Bridgeport, CT (220 & D) and headed back to Houston with a new Nationwide Champion, as Jim Duggan defeated Marty Lunde. Also on the show, Duggan’s partner as the current HCW Tag champs, Gino Hernandez retained his HCW Universal title by beating Kamala, and Black Gordman went to a time limit draw with Mil Mascaras to open the show with reportedly the best match of the night … The WWA visited Indianapolis (1,000 & D+) where Chris Markoff retained their Heavyweight title by beating Steve Regal and Jerry Valiant beat Igor Volkoff … AGPW tour stop was in The Maritimes (1,000 & C-) where odd pairing of The Cuban Commandos (heel Cuban Assassin & face Gerry Morrow) beat the equally unlikely team of The Spoiler & Leo Burke to retain their North American Tag Team belts … ASW-UK sold out the Birmingham Town Hall (1,000 & D+) where Mal Sanders & Mighty John Quinn beat Mark Rocco & Tony St. Clair and Fit Finlay formed an uneasy partnership with Marty Jones to secure a victory over Rocky Moran and Drew McDonald … Al Tomko’s ASW trekked to Manitoba (116 & E+), with the owner losing his bid to unseat Canadian Hvywt champ Moose Morowski … G.L.O.W. was on the road to Fresno (2,000 & D-) with successful title defenses for Tammy Jones over Matilda the Hun & The Cheerleaders over the Headhunters.

Rumors from the north say that The Mongolian Stomper will likely leave Calgary Stampede at the end of his current contract as the company simply isn’t big enough for him any more.

Wednesday Week 4, May 1983
While we move toward three shows in four days, the CWF stopped down the road in Macon again (2,000 & C), leaving with a new TV champion after Bobby Duncum beat Leroy Brown to recapture a belt he last held back in 1978. Also on the card The Purple Haze keeps the Florida Heavyweight title by beating Ron Bass, Jake Roberts keeps the Bahamas Title after a no contest with Mike Graham, Bob Roop beat The Professional (Les Thornton), and Dusty Rhodes teamed with Blackjack Mulligan to beat Kevin Sullivan & Adrian Street … The WWA sold out in Joplin, MO (1,000 & D) where Chris Markoff retained their Heavyweight title with a win over Spike Huber while Jerry Valiant beat Bobo Brazil … Jarrett & Lawler took the CWA to Lorain, OH (1,000 & D-) with The King beating Moondog Spot to keep the AWA International title and Bobby Eaton teamed with Koko B. Ware for a victory over Phil Hickerson & The Spoiler … CWA-Europe drew a small crowd in Eastern Europe (300 & D+) as Otto Wanz beat Axel Dieter to defend his CWA World Hvywt title, Tony St. Clair retained their World Middleweight strap by beating Mile Zrno, and Fit Finlay beat Steve Casey on the undercard … JPUK went to the Midlands Arts Centre (300 & C-) with a crowded lineup featuring 5 tag matches out of 8 total contests.

A couple of contract notes as Bruiser Brody extends his deal with the WWC and The Purple Haze will be sticking around in the Sunshine State for at least another round with CWF.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thursday Week 4, May 1983,
A lot of the competition was busy last night, as usual, including the AWA who took their road show to the Nebraska Coliseum (5,000 & C+) where a packed house saw Nick Bockwinkel defeat Wahoo McDaniel to retain the AWA World Heavyweight Title, Larry Zbyszko went over Baron Von Raschke, The Iron Shiek beat Buddy Rogers, Buzz Sawyer teamed with Mr. Saito for a win over Rick Martel & Manny Fernandez, and Greg Gagne retained their TV title by beating David Schultz … MACW set up shop in Sumter, SC (5,000 & C) with a short but solid show headlined by Jos Leduc getting a non-title victory over Ric Flair … WCCW stayed close to home for a show in Texas (5,000 & C-) with the match of the night coming from Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy who beat Kevin & Mike Von Erich to retain their American Tag Team titles … Mid-South visited the Northwest where Ted DiBiase defeated Mr. Wrestling II to keep his hold on their North American title … The WWC was busy in Puerto Rico (2,000 & C-) with Bob Sweetan beating Ron Starr to keep the North American Hvywt title … The UWA had a solid outing in West Central Mexico (2,000 & C+) as Perro Aguayo defeated El Signo to retain their World Junior Lightweight title.

Easy Ed Wisnowski extended his deal with PNW, Jonathan Boyd reached an agreement with the UWA, while speculation surrounds the likely contract extension of Kamala with MSW.

Thursday Week 4, May 1983, con’t
Stars of GCW On Tour – 60 minutes at Innisdale HS, Barrie, Ontario with 107 in attendance

Pre-show
Brad Armstrong d. Pat Rose in 5:50 by pinfall with a Side Russian Leg Sweep (E)
The announcing of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by Koko B. Ware gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

Ronnie Garvin talks to Freddy Miller & thanks the fans for coming out – 2 mins (D)

Main show
Mark Rocco d. Ronnie Garvin in 12:31 by pinfall with a Tombstone Piledriver. [b](C+)

Jim Barnett makes a donation to charity, Rocco returns to the ring to complain – 3 mins (E) The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it.

Dave Finlay d. Tim Horner in 5:39 by pinfall with a Rolling Fireman's Carry Slam. (E+)
The announcing of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary by Koko B. Ware gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down. Tim Horner is improving in Technical skills.

Koko B. Ware d. Pez Whatley in 8:58 by pinfall with a Brainbuster. (D)
The announcing of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The commentary of Ole Anderson gave the match a boost.

Ole Anderson talks to Freddy Miller and the fans – 5 mins (C)
Freddy Miller is improving at acting.

Ole Anderson d. Les Thornton in 15:52 by pinfall with an Anderson Running Knee. (C) The match suffered because of the lack of selling on display. Les Thornton is improving in Performance skills.

Final Show Rating: C-
Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Friday Week 4, May 1983

Okay so that wasn’t pretty & it probably cost us more money than it was worth but it should give us a boost in Ontario at least. As much as anything though I was trying to give our three regular regions a few extra days breather, hoping to avoid burning them out on us at least before tonight’s end of the month show & tomorrow’s TV taping. That’s right, the EotM Spectacular is tonight instead of Sunday, although I may not have remembered to tell you about the change of schedule until now. Let’s just hope the ticket buying public got the word in plenty of time.

Lots to do before the show, so we just quickly check our sources for news, including word about a solid show (2,000 & C) for PNW where Dutch Savage beat Playboy Buddy Rose to retain their Heavyweight title … CSTATES regular weekly show traveled to Oak Park, MI (1000 & C-) with Harley Race beating Bruiser Brody in the match of the night .. The WWF headed down to Puerto Rico (1,000 & C-) for Bob Backlund’s latest successful defense of their World Hvywt title against Don Muraco on a packed show featuring 32 different wrestlers in 12 matches … WCCW headed up to New Jersey (300 & D+) for The Freebirds successful defense of their Six Man Tag Team titles over David, Kevin, and Kerry … JPUK went with an all tag team lineup (1,000 & C-) at the Royal Exchange Theatre in the Northern UK … New Japan drew a small but happy capacity crowd in Kinki (1,000 & C-) where Tiger Mask & Tatsumi Fujinami both successfully defended their titles with wins over The Cobra & Antonio Inoki respectively … CMLL got a similar crowd in Santa Barbara, CA (1,000 & D+) where Lizmark defended the NWA World Middleweight title with a victory against El Satanico.

No surprise & not exactly earthshaking news but Al Madril & Don Running Bear have both extended their contracts with PNW.

While my focus has to be on making tonight’s show a success, there’s also the reality of having to plan ahead for the show after that, and the one after that, and the one after that. So I take a few minutes & make a long distance call to work out the details of a deal that I’ve been pondering for most of the last month. Actually it was two deals but one of them had an unexpected temporary wrinkle, although in the long run that might work out just fine too.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Friday Week 4, May 1983, (con’t
Stars of GCW On Tour – 120 minutes at Viking Hall, Bristol, TN with 3,752 in attendance

Pre-show
The Spoiler d. Brad Armstrong in 6:06 by submission with a Clawhold. (C-)
The commentary of Jake Roberts gave the match a boost. The Spoiler looked good out there.

Dave Finlay d. Joe Lightfoot in 5:44 by pinfall with a Rolling Fireman's Carry Slam. (D)
Dave Finlay and Joe Lightfoot have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match. The announcing of Gordon Solie lifted the match. The commentary of Jake Roberts gave the match a boost.

Jake the Snake says he’s coming up later so don’t go away – 4 mins (B-)

Main show

Tommy Rich d. Len Denton in 7:35 by pinfall with a Vertical Splash. (B-)

Bob Armstrong & Ronnie Garvin d. The Road Warriors in 5:56 when Bullet Bob Armstrong defeated Road Warrior Animal by pinfall with a Piledriver. (C+)
Paul Ellering did some good work at ringside. Road Warrior Animal and Paul Ellering have great chemistry. The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The announcing of Gordon Solie lifted the match. The RW vs Bullet & Garvin storyline has started with this match.

Mr Wrestling I & II d. Dennis Condrey & Les Thornton in 8:20 when Mr. Wrestling II defeated Dennis Condrey by pinfall with a Million Dollar Knee Lift. Mr. Wrestling I and II make defence number 1 of their National Tag Team titles. (B-)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The announcing quality lifted the match. Mr. Wrestling II looked good out there. This match lifted the crowd. Mr. Wrestling II is improving in Performance skills. Les Thornton is improving in Rumble skills.

Adrian Street d. Chic Cullen in 5:57 by pinfall with a Crucifix Cradle.(C)

Jim Barnett says he’ll lower ticket prices for kids at upcoming shows – 2 mins (E)

Paul Orndorff d. Buzz Sawyer in 9:50 by pinfall with a Forearm Clothesline. (B-)
The announcing quality lifted the match. This match lifted the crowd.

Mark Rocco insults the crowd – 3 mins (D-)

Jake Roberts d. Tony St. Clair in 8:47 pby pinfall with The DDT. (B)
Jake Roberts seemed off his game tonight. This match lifted the crowd.

Mark Rocco d. Rick Hunter in 10:56 by pinfall with a Tombstone Piledriver. Mark Rocco wins the National Television title. (C)
The announcing quality lifted the match. Rick Hunter is improving in Flying skills. Rick Hunter is improving in Performance skills.

Zbyszko warns Hansen that he doesn’t know what he’s getting himself into – 6 mins (A)
The Larry's Helper storyline has continued with this segment. This segment lifted the crowd.

Ole Anderson d. Terry Gordy in 12:36 by pinfall with an Anderson Running Knee. (B-)
The announcing quality lifted the match. This match lifted the crowd.

Hansen makes his way to the ring bloodied & battered from an attack – 5 mins (B+)
The big Texan is clearly staggered by the sneak attack of an unseen assailant in the back but in spite of repeated attempts to convince him otherwise, he insists on going ahead with the title match.

Larry Zbyszko d. Stan Hansen in 14:53 by pinfall with a Shoulder Breaker. Larry Zbyszko makes defence number 4 of his National Heavyweight title. (A)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The Larry's Helper storyline has started with this match. This match lifted the crowd. Stan Hansen is improving in Technical skills.

Final Show Rating: B+

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-19-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Week 4, May 1983 (pt 1 of 2)
Hard not to be happy with most of the show last night, and it doesn’t appear to have damaged our bank account too badly, but it’s not all sweetness and light for me either.

We’ve got extremely high hopes for the mystery surrounding Stan Hansen’s attacker, although I don’t have much confidence in the eventual health of whoever perpetrated the dastardly deed. Also taking a bit of a gamble with Mark Rocco’s win of the TV title from Rick Hunter. Hunter had been nothing short of rock solid for us but Rocco, in spite of some concerns about his workload, is probably the most overall talented guy in the ring on our entire roster. Whether we can get him over is another question entirely right now but I guess we’ll find out the answer to that soon enough. Our tag team situation is another matter that I’m not really happy with but I really don’t see much of a solution yet. Last night’s match was fine, better than could be expected from a thrown together team for opponents really, but I’m not satisfied with where we’re at in the division. I use the term “division” pretty loosely, as the Road Warriors are really the only full-time regular team we have, and with their attitudes and poor conditioning I don’t think I could stomach putting belts on them for long if at all. I’d rather have Wrestling II working singles and Tim Woods would rather not be in the ring at all, but at the moment I don’t have a heel team other than the RW to take the belts from them. Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware might be worth a reasonable mid-length run with titles but I haven’t really figured out how to get them over there without using Hawk & Animal as the transition. And the real crux of the tag team problem is financial, it’s simply not efficient to be putting $2k or more into a tag team match, especially one that’s not likely to produce anything more than a C’ish rating.

A new concern reared its head last night too, as Pez Whatley arrived very late for the show & didn’t really bother with anything resembling an excuse. That’s his freebie, I’ll be keeping an eye on him going forward though. Whatley may have been dealing with some business issues since he’s reportedly considering a contract extension offer from ICW.

And while we were taking care of our business, the rest of the industry was pretty busy last night too, none moreso than the WWF. The McMahon’s took their end of the month show to Kansas City, MO (1,000 & C) and certainly gave the fans their money’s worth with a new WWF World Heavyweight champion for the first time since December 1979, as Sgt Slaughter defeated Bob Backlund to claim the title. Also on the show, Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant beat Ivan Putski & Tito Santana, The Wild Samoans retained their World Tag Team titles by beating Rocky Johnson & Jimmy Snuka, and Don Muraco kept the Intercontinental Title with a win over Tony Atlas … MACW visited Louisiana (1,000 & C) where Ric Flair defended the NWA World Hvywt title with a win over Greg Valentine and Dusty Rhodes beat Ivan Koloff … The AWA ran a small show (300 & C-) in Brooklyn as Ken Patera beat Greg Gagne in the main event … MSW headed up to Illinois (300 & D) where The Iron Men (Dick Murdoch & Kamala) defended their Mid-South Tag Team titles by beating The Hacksaws (Duggan & Reed). Tim Horner also tagged with Jim Neidhart to defeat Mike Jackson & Steve Williams… PNW Television champion Dr. Tom Prichard defended his title with a win over Don Running Bear at a show in Huntington, NY (300 & D-) … MLW has a new World Hvywt champion (2,000 & C-) after Tiger Jeet Singh defeated Adrian Adonis to claim the vacant title … The WWC went to Connecticut (123 & D) as Abdullah the Butcher beat Invader I in the main event … AJPW sold out (2,000 & C) in Kanto to see Bruiser Brody beat Jumbo Tsuruta to keep the NWA Int’l Hvywt title … The UWA did a packed house (1,000 & C) to see Hamada, Solitario, and Caras defend their World Trios title by beating Canek, Wagner, and Aguayo.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #78
BYU 14
Coordinator

Really enjoying this Jon. Tough call with the Road Warriors, they were so raw and unpolished during this time. Like you said, it is hard to justify putting belts on them, unless you have a good veteran team to carry them to better matches.

Larry Z looks like he is red hot, I always enjoyed watching him, the qunitessential old school heel.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Really enjoying this Jon. Tough call with the Road Warriors, they were so raw and unpolished during this time.

Making things even tougher is that their conditioning is so bad that anything more than a 6 minute match & they're blown up and the match suffers. And that short is completely counter to anything I like to do with champs. In theory I suppose I could let them do squashes of lesser teams but that's going to stink up the joint since there's hardly any selling ability among the potential victims.

Quote:
Larry Z looks like he is red hot, I always enjoyed watching him, the qunitessential old school heel.

It's a great comfort to me to have him on the roster, really easy to just plug him in to just about anything I want to do.

I'm glad you're enjoying this and I really appreciate the feedback. I'm actually enjoying what I've got cooked up for the coming month but even before it gets started good I'm disappointed that the circumstances of it (you'll see what I mean soon) mean I probably have to zip through the angle much faster than I would otherwise. I honestly have no idea what effect what I'm trying will have but that's actually making it more fun for me to do it. I'm having to make much tougher decisions than I'm used to with my previous private sandbox games so it really adds another element.

One OOC observation I'll make here, just in case somebody reading hasn't played much TEW.

If you've had trouble really getting into the game but have only played mostly "straight"; i.e. you can be fired, you have to deal with owner goals, etc., give yourself a chance to play in open mode, where you're the owner, can't be fired, can do pretty much whatever you want. That's what allowed me to learn enough & get comfortable enough with the game mechanics to make something like this challenging but not completely frustrating. In turn, that makes the clickfesty moments a lot more tolerable. There's not much doubt in my mind that I couldn't have gotten into this dynasty except for playing another scenario very fast & loose in an open universe strictly for my own amusement. When you've got a gazillion dollars and can sign virtually anyone you might ever want, there's a lot more freedom to experiment since you can afford to fail, which means you learn things that'll help when every match seems like life or death for your next fed.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-20-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Week 4, May 1983, (part 2 of 2)
Georgia Championship Wrestling (TV) – 90 minutes at Hara Arena, Dayton, OH with 3,136 in attendance

Pre-show

Paul Ellering hypes The Road Warriors and mocks “has beens” like Bob Armstrong & Ronnie Garvin – 4 mins (C)
The RW vs Bullet & Garvin storyline has continued with this segment.

Ronnie Garvin d. Paul Ellering in 6:09 by pinfall with a Garvin Stomp. (D+)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The colour commentary of Jake Roberts gave the match a boost. Paul Ellering is improving in Performance skills.

Chic Cullen & Joe Lightfoot d. Dave Finlay & Pat Rose in 5:50 when Chic Cullen defeated Pat Rose by pinfall. (D-)
The announcing of Freddy Miller lifted the match. The colour commentary of Jake Roberts gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down. Pat Rose is improving in Technical skills.

Main show
Larry Zbyszko d. Tim Horner in 8:04 by pinfall with a Shoulder Breaker. Larry Zbyszko makes defense number 5 of his National Heavyweight title. (C-)
Tim Horner was exhausted by the end. Larry Zbyszko and Tim Horner just don't click at all, and it showed in their performances. The announcing of Gordon Solie lifted the match. The commentary of Freddy Miller gave the match a boost. Larry Zbyszko came out of the match looking good.

Road Warrior Animal d. Brad Armstrong in 5:52 by pinfall with a Flying Shoulder Tackle. (D)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The announcing & commentary gave the match a boost. Road Warrior Animal came out of the match looking good.

Gordon Solie shows clips & talks about the mystery attack on Stan Hansen before his title match at last night’s show in Bristol – 5 mins (C+)
The Larry's Helper storyline has continued with this segment.

Bob Armstrong d. Road Warrior Hawk in 6:29 by pinfall with a Bulldog. During the match we Paul Ellering interfered unsuccessfully and attacked Bob Armstrong. (C-)
Road Warrior Hawk was really off his game tonight. The announcing of Gordon Solie lifted the match. The RW vs Bullet & Garvin storyline has continued with this match.

El Halcon d. Ricky Morton in 7:44 by pinfall. (D-)
El Halcón and Ricky Morton just don't click at all, and it showed in their performances. Solie & Miller gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

Stan Hansen goes off After asking Gordon to leave for a few minutes because he didn’t think it was safe for him to stay, The Bad Man from Borger Texas starts with a slow burn that explodes into a spittle flying desk destroying rage. He doesn’t know who attacked him from behind backstage last night but he knows what he’s going to do about it, even if he has to go through the entire roster to find them. He displays a large rope knotted into a noose, saying that’s what’s coming for whatever coward Zbyszko recruited to do his dirty work. “But don’t worry Zbyszko, I haven’t forgotten about you. Your day is coming” as he produces a second noose to close the segment. – 5 mins (B)

Jake Roberts d. Mr. Wrestling I in 9:57 by pinfall with The DDT. (C)

Paul Orndorff d. Eric Embry in 8:32 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (C+)

Larry Zbyszko tells Gordon to go away as he mocks Hansen, calling the big man paranoid if he believes the champ had anything to do with what happened before their match last night. Says it was probably some hick upset that Hansen stole his horse. He proclaims his innocence but points out that he isn’t the only person who can’t stand the sight or smell of Hansen. – 5 mins (B)

Stan Hansen d. The Spoiler in 13:49 by pinfall with The Lariat. (B)
Stan Hansen and The Spoiler have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match. The match suffered because of the lack of selling on display. This match lifted the crowd.

Final Show Rating: (B-)
Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sunday Week 4, May 1983
Much as night follows day, we seem to be able to rely on Hansen, Zbyszko, and Solie to deliver.
And increasingly it seems the same should be said for Freddy Miller.

Last night was the final appearance of the loan contract for Ricky Morton. Didn’t get as much help getting Hacon over with the win as we hoped for but we’ll probably use Morton again down the road after getting a pair of C- matches from him in his other outings. Bart Sawyer also made his final appearance for SECW last night, while we still have another couple of matches from Dennis Condrey in the bank on that deal.

After the show we heard from Brad Armstrong, Tim Horner, and Dave Finlay, who all would like us to take it easy on them while they recover from their recent schedules. There’s a certain temptation to tell them to just cowboy up a little but if their performance suffers from being worn down then I’d probably be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

WCCW took their Parade of Champions to Rhode Island last night (300 & D+) where Terry Gordy beat Kerry Von Erich to retain the Texas Hvywt title and the team of David Von Erich & Gentleman Chris Adams defeated Freebirds Hayes & Roberts in the main event … SECW visited Tampa (1,832 & D+) where Mr. Olympia pinned Buzz Sawyer … SWCW ended the month in Austin, TX (2,000 & C-) where Adrian Adonis beat Bob Sweetan to retain the Southwest Hvywt title and Grappler #1 (aka Len Denton) defeated Juan Reynosa … CWA headed to West Monroe, LA (209 & D-) for Jerry Lawler to pin Moondog Rex and retain the AWA International title, also Stan Lane beat Austin Idol … Terry Funk was the star in an underdcard tag match as AJPW ran their Super Power Series event (1,000 & C-) with a main event featuring Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsruta beating Tenryu & Inoue to keep their NWA International Tag Team titles.

The rumor mill says The Sheik of Araby doesn’t plan to resign with MLW because the company isn’t big enough for him. Nightmare Ken Wayne on the other hand is expected to stay with CSW.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-10-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #82
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 1, June 1983 (part one of four)
As usual the month ends with some of our main competition running their end of the month shows.

MACW’s May Clash of Champions was at the Marian College Auditorium in Wisconsin (2,000 & C+) highlighted by Ric Flair’s successful defense of the NWA World Heavyweight title with a win over Terry Funk. Wahoo McDaniel beat Jos LeDuc just before the main event … The AWA took their big show of the month to the Pittsfield (MA) Boys Club (804 & C) with the main event going to a double count out to allow Nick Bockwinkel to retain his AWA World Hvywt title despite a tough challenge from Baron Von Raschke. Also appearing were Larry Zbyszko who teamed with David Shults to beat Jerry Blackwell & Buck Zumhofe, Manny Fernandez & Brad Rheingans tagged together to beat Buzz Sawyer and Mr. Saito while Ken Patera paired with The Iron Sheik for a win over Mike Graham & Sonny Rogers … CWF went to Wheeling, WV (1,653 & D) with Bob Roop going over Don Kent in the main event, while Jake Roberts teamed with Kevin Sullivan to beat Windham & Bass … The WWF headed to Burlington, VT (2,000 & C-) as Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant were too much for Sgt Slaughter & Michael Hayes. Don Muraco turned back Bob Backlund’s challenge to retain the Intercontinental belt … The IWA drew well (4,528 & C) in Quebec as Gilles Poisson beat Raymond Rougeau to keep their International Hvywt title …

With the end of May three veterans of the business officially retired, Bill Watts who remains as the owner of MSW, women’s legend Mae Young, and Ricky Romero who will have more time to watch his sons Mark & Chris “Youngblood” as their careers progress.

Several other veterans have announced that they will be winding up their obligations this month and move to retirement as well. None of the names are bigger than The Sheik of Araby Ed Farhat, who will be missed by his current promotions MLW & WWA as well as a legion of fans as he remains one of the most popular wrestlers all over the globe. CWF will certainly miss Don Kent, UK veteran Jackie Pallo is done, Great Goliath will be missed in both Mexico & the western U.S., European & UK stalwart Mal “King Kong” Kirk is hanging up the boots despite still being a reliable performer, and Ric Flair’s former tag team partner Rip Hawk calls it quits at the age of 61.

Also making news are rumors of financial problems for both Dick the Bruiser’s WWA and Al Tomko’s ASW in Vancouver with creditors giving both of them 90 days to turn things around.

GCW on TBS posted a 2.63, peaking in the 2nd half hour at 2.79 (down 0.02)
AWA on US Small Synd II posted a 1.52 (up 0.02)
WWF on US Synd Small I posted a 1.51 (down 0.14)
Mid-Atlantic on Local TV posted a 0.76 (up 0.06, new high)
WCCW Local-Mid South posted a 0.45 (down 0.03, 2nd straight low to date)
CWF Wrestling from Florida on Local-SE posted a 0.29 (down 0.06)
Mid-South on Local II posted a 0.27 (up 0.01)
WWC on WAPA/Puerto Rico posted a 0.16 (down 0.01)
Big Time Wrestling on Local-NW posted a 0.13 (same)
CWA All-Stars on WMC posted a 0.10 (down 0.01)
GLOW on US Small Syn III posted a 0.08 (up 0.01)
Wrestling at the Chase (CENT) on Local MW II posted a 0.08 (up 0.01)

ITV World of Sport on ITV posted a 0.59 (same)
IWM on Local Quebec posted a 0.43 (up 0.02)
UWA Lucha Total on TV Mexico South hasn’t debuted
CMLL on Telemundo cancelled 1.23
Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #83
BYU 14
Coordinator

Blackwell and Zumhofe are certainly an odd pairing. I really enjoy these updates from the rest of the Wrestling world. It is interesting to see how other companies are booking.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 1, June 1983, (part two of four)

All in all, I’m happier than I was at this time a month ago.

We probably haven’t closed the gap on Mid-Atlantic or the WWF as much as we would like but it’s definitely a lot better to get the financials and see a $12,040 profit instead of the nearly $80,000 loss of the month before.

Sponsors & merchandise revenue were down a tiny bit but our ticket sales were up by over $100k vs the previous month. Miscellaneous expenses were up about $30k but offset in part by cutting our worker wage bill by nearly $20k.

We should be able to stay in the same range for salaries this month as long as we’re mindful of the need to do so, now we just have to keep the ticket revenue around the same level as we just had.

Starting the new month, here are our roster positions
Main Event (8) – Sawyer, Zbyszko, Wrestling II, Anderson, Hansen, Gordy, Rich, 1 not debuted
Upper Midcard (8) – Street, Bob Armstrong, Roberts, Denton, Orndorff, Animal, Sheik, Spoiler
Midcard (11) – Eaton, Wayne, Condrey, Halcon, Embry, Thornton, Rocco, Hunter, Hawk, R. Garvin, St.Clair
Lower Midcard (6) – Brad Armstrong, Charles,Jr, Ware, Whatley, Barber, Horner
Opener (4) – Cullen, Finlay, Lightfoot, Starbuck
Enhancement (1) – P. Rose

Talking to the guys
Brett Wayne sees himself as an upper midcarder & isn’t happy with how often he’s been jobbed
Buzz Sawyer isn’t enjoying the backstage atmosphere
Chic Cullen sees himself as more of a lower midcarder
Emilio Charles, Jr sees himself as more of a midcarder
Eric Embry sees himself as more of an upper midcarder
Jim Barnett is unhappy with how many shows he hasn’t been used on
Mark Rocco sees himself as more of an upper midcarder
Mr. Wrestling would rather be a road agent but occasional wrestler is okay too.
Paul Orndorff sees himself as more of a main eventer
Randy Barber is unhappy with how many shows he hasn’t been used on
Road Warrior Animal sees himself as more of a main eventer
Ronnie Garvin sees himself as more of an upper midcarder
The Spoiler sees himself as more of a main eventer

Our popularity still stable in our top regions, C+ in the Southeast & C- in the Great Lakes. We’re now up to E+ in all the rest of the U.S. regions.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Blackwell and Zumhofe are certainly an odd pairing. I really enjoy these updates from the rest of the Wrestling world. It is interesting to see how other companies are booking.

Glad you like it, that's been something that I felt like was a good supplement to my not-so-hot writeup skills but really didn't know how it was getting over.

Funny you mention that odd pairing, as it's one of many I've noticed in the hundreds of matches I've glanced through picking out highlights. Whether it's more prevalent in this universe or whether I simply never noticed how often it happens in other outings I can't really say but there are not only some odd pairings but also a lot more instances of Face+Heel versus Face+Heel matches than I've ever seen before. I also can't figure how some of the promotions make enough money to stay out of the red entirely when they're booking more than two dozen workers a show & drawing a few hundred people. On the other hand it's kind of fun to see promotions in Mexico occasionally doing an all trios matches card.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 1, June 1983, (part three of four)

Rest of the World Promotions
There are 28 other promotions of note around the world, and we still have some sort of relationship with most of them.

United States
1)World Wrestling Federation (WWF) - Cult with B prestige - at war
2)Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (MACW) - Cult with C+ prestige - working agreement
3)American Wrestling Association (AWA) - Cult with C+ prestige up from C
4)Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF) - Regional with D+ prestige - working agreement
5)World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) - Regional with D prestige - hostile
6)Mid-South Wrestling (MSW) - Regional with D prestige - working agreement
7)Central States (CSTATE) - Regional with D prestige - working agreement
8)World Wrestling Council (WWC) - Regional with D- prestige up from E+
9)Houston Championship Wrestling (HCW) – Regional with D- prestige up from E+ - working agreement
10)Pacific Northwest (PNW) - Regional with E+ prestige - working agreement
11)Championship Wrestling Association (CWA) - Regional with E+ prestige - working agreement
12)Southeastern Championship Wrestling (SECW) –Regional with E prestige-working agreement
13)Southwest Championship Wrestling (SWCW) - Regional with E- prestige down from E+ - working agreement
14)Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW) - Regional with F prestige
15)International Championship Wrestling (ICW) - Small with F prestige down from F+
16)World Wrestling Association (WWA) - Small with F- prestige down from F+

Canada
1)International Wrestling Montreal (IWM) - Regional with E+ prestige - non-agression
2)Maple Leaf Wrestling (MLW) - Regional with E prestige (down from D-)– working agreement
3)Calgary Stampede Wrestling (CSW) - Regional with E prestige (down from E+)
4)Atlanta Grand Prix Wrestling (AGPW) - Regional with E prestige
5)All-Star Wrestling (ASW) - Small with F+ prestige - non-agression

Mexico
1)Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) - Cult with C prestige
2)Universal Wrestling Association (UWA) - Regional with E prestige

Japan
1)All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW) - Regional with D+ prestige up from C+
2)New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) - Regional with D prestige down from C
3)All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling (AJWP) – Regional with E+ prestige up from E-

UK
1)Joint Promotions (JP) - Cult with D prestige
2)All Star Wrestling UK - (ASWUK) - Regional with E prestige back down from E+

Europe
1)Catch Wrestling Association (CWA) - Regional with D- prestige

Top Champions Around The World
1)World Wrestling Federation (WWF) – Sgt Slaughter since May 1983
2)Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (MACW) - Ric Flair since Sept 1981
3)American Wrestling Association (AWA) - Nick Bockwinkel since October 1982
4)Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF) - Purple Haze since April 1983
5)World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) - Terry Gordy since April 1983
6)Mid-South Wrestling (MSW) - Ted DiBiase since April 1983
7)Central States (CSTATE) - Manny Fernandez since September 1982
8)World Wrestling Council (WWC) - Carlos Colon since April 1982
9)Houston Championship Wrestling (HCW) – Gino Hernandez since April 1983
10)Pacific Northwest (PNW) - Dutch Savage since April 1983
11)Championship Wrestling Association (CWA) - Jerry Lawler since April 1983
12)Southeastern Championship Wrestling (SECW) – Bob Armstrong since December 1982
13)Southwest Championship Wrestling (SWCW) - Adrian Adonis since April 1983
14)Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW) - Tammy Jones since April 1983
15)International Championship Wrestling (ICW) - Randy Savage since January 1982
16)World Wrestling Association (WWA) - Chris Markoff since April 1983

Canada
1)Maple Leaf Wrestling (MLW) – Tiger Jeet Singh since May 1983
2)Calgary Stampede Wrestling (CSW) - Bret Hart since October 1982
3)International Wrestling Montreal (IWM) - Gilles Poisson since April 1983
4)Atlanta Grand Prix Wrestling (AGPW) - Leo Burke since April 1983
5)All-Star Wrestling (ASW) - Moose Morowski since April 1982

Mexico
1)Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) - Lizmark since April 1983
2)Universal Wrestling Association (UWA) - Canek since April 1983

Japan
1)All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW) - Jumbo Tsuruta since October 1982
2)New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) - Tatsumi Fujinami since April 1983
3)All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling (AJWP) – Dump Matsumoto since April 1983

UK
1)Joint Promotions (JP) - Johnny Saint since unknown
2)All Star Wrestling UK - (ASWUK) - Mal Sanders since April 1983

Europe
1)Catch Wrestling Association (CWA) – Otto Wanz since July 1978
Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #87
Izulde
Head Coach

Nice work you're doing and are there actually signs of the Road Warriors starting to improve?

Also, I've noticed a lack of selling seems to be a major problem in your matches. Are there guys with high selling worth pursuing who could help alleviate that?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Nice work you're doing and are there actually signs of the Road Warriors starting to improve?

Thanks, and not really. They purely suck in the ring & I'm tolerating it right now because I don't have much in the way of better ideas. Actually I do have one better idea: scrap worrying about the tag division altogether & just be the best damned singles promotion going ... but that just doesn't seem right given the era. But as for Hawk & Animal, at this point I'm getting as much out of Paul Ellering in the ring as I can drag out of either of the alleged wrestlers.

Quote:
Also, I've noticed a lack of selling seems to be a major problem in your matches. Are there guys with high selling worth pursuing who could help alleviate that?

I think my sales problem stems from the guys that are the core of the roster, just quite a few no-selling guys in the group, at the top where a lot of them think they're above it and at the bottom where a lot of them simply don't know how. But in some ways that's also part of the GCW experience. In hindsight they weren't always the most all around talented crew in the world, but they had a way of inspiring passion in the audience that made it work - Wrestling II & Thunderbolt Patterson are a couple of prime examples - but it wasn't the easiest lockerroom in the world either.

Wildfire is a B+ bless his bleeds like a stuck pig heart, Sawyer is a B, Gordy is a B- Hansen is a C+, Larry is a C, II is a C-, Ole is a D+. Of the upper midcarders, only Jake Roberts is above a C, with Sheik & Spoiler in the D's, same with Ronnie Garvin. And Animal is an E, Hawk an E-. And most of these guys are too old to expect any real improvement. And to top it off Sawyer is perpetually one day away from me getting fed up with his attitude & firing him, Gordy is freelancing & the clock is ticking on his contract

Compare that with MACW, where Steamboat, Flair, Rhodes, Funk, and even Slater are A's, Valentine is a B, and most of the rest of the roster are C's.

I could easily brings some of those guys in but at the expense of having to deal with being 2nd priority for all of them right now, plus anything I do with them that helps me helps them & ultimately they're as much competition for me as Vince is.

So for now I swallow hard & deal with it, and hope I can move a couple of younger guys who aren't above selling up the card in the next few months.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 1, June 1983, (part four of four)
Colley Matrix Singles Rankings as of Monday Wk 1, June 1983
Code:
Team Rating W L T 1 Larry Zbyszko 513 11 0 0 2 Tommy Rich 426 8 1 0 3 Mark Rocco 392 5 0 0 4 Rick Hunter 371 7 1 0 5 Stan Hansen 365 6 1 1 6 Koko B Ware 320 3 0 0 7 Dave Finlay 297 6 1 0 8 Adrian Street 285 3 1 0 9 Ole Anderson 274 6 3 0 10 Paul Orndorff 271 6 4 0 11 El Hacon 269 2 0 0 12 Jake Roberts 255 4 3 0 13 Bobby Eaton 236 1 0 0 14 The Spoiler 214 4 4 0 15 Chic Cullen 208 3 2 0 16 Mr Wrestling II 190 2 2 0 17 Pez Whatley 180 5 5 0 18 Terry Gordy 175 2 3 0 19 Departed Contenders 167 0 0 0 20 Dennis Condrey 167 0 0 0 21 Bob Armstrong 166 3 3 0 22 Tony St Clair 158 1 1 0 23 Eric Embry 155 3 3 0 24 Departed Midcarders 134 2 3 0 25 Les Thornton 119 2 4 0 26 Emilio Charles Jr 114 1 2 0 27 Ronnie Garvin 113 3 5 0 28 Thunderbolt Patterson 112 1 2 0 29 Buzz Sawyer 94 1 5 1 30 Animal 94 1 2 0 31 Paul Ellering 73 2 3 0 32 Len Denton 68 1 5 0 33 Brad Armstrong 68 3 5 0 34 Mr Wrestling I 59 0 2 0 35 Departed Undercards 40 0 2 0 36 Tim Horner 24 1 6 0 37 Hawk 23 0 3 0 38 Randy Barber 20 0 4 0 39 Joe Lightfoot 18 1 4 0 40 The Iron Sheik 7 0 4 0 41 Brett Wayne -3 0 3 0 42 Mike Starbuck -13 1 5 0 43 Pat Rose -52 1 5 0
Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday Week 1, June 1983
While we keep fine tuning our next few shows behind the scenes, the rest of the wrestling world continues on.

WCCW held their June Star Wars event last night in Bessemer, AL (1,000 & C-) with The Freebirds defeating Kevin, Kerry, and David Von Erich to retain their Six Man Tag Team titles … HCW visited New Orleans (1,882 & C-) where Gino Hernandez & Jim Duggan (aka The Partners) beat the team of Junkyard Dog & Butch Reed … ASW went to Whitehorse Takhini Arena in BC (1,000 & C-) for Moose Morowski to beat Buck Ramstead & Bob Brown in a three-way match and retain the Canadian Heavyweight title … GLOW was in Austin, TX (300 & E) where Tammy Jones defended her GLOW Crown with a win over Meeka the Headhunter .. ASW-UK fans in Exeter (300 & C-) saw Mal Sanders beat Mighty John Quinn to keep his Championship title, Steve Wright went over Chic Cullen to retain the British Light-Heavyweight belt, and the team of Drew McDonald & Tony St. Clair defeated Skull Murphy and Dave Finlay … AGPW sold out a small show in the Maritimes (1,000 & C-) to see Leo Burke defend his International Hvywt title by beating Gerry Morrow as well as The Spoiler & the Cuban Assassin beat Pierre Lefebvre & Bobby Bass.

One minor roster item I failed to mention earlier, we approached Randy Savage about coming into Georgia for some work but he said he wanted to focus all his attention on his ICW career at the moment. Oh well, his loss.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday Week 1, June 1983
Just a quick look around at the competition’s activity from last night, starting with our neighbors to the south at CWF. Their Endless Beach Tour traveled to the colder clime of Bridgeport, CT (300 & D+) for a show headlined by The Purple Haze retaining the Florida Heavywt title after a no contest against Barry Windham. Also on the show Adrian Street lost to Blackjack Mulligan, Jake Roberts defending the Bahamas title again by beating Mike Graham, Bugsy McGraw over The Professional (Les Thornton) and Dusty Rhodes over Kevin Sullivan … The CWA was in Sarasota, FL (2,000 & C-) where Jerry Lawler beat N.Y. Assassin #1 to retain his AWA International title, The Fabulous Ones beat Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware and Phil Hickerson pinned Jesse Barr to claim their Mid-American Hvywt title … The WWA took Bruiser’s Bedlam on Tour with a visit to Austin, TX (258 & D-) where Chris Markoff again defended their Hvywt title by beating Steve Regal although the best match of the night was Igor Volkoff defeating The Sheik of Araby … JPUK was in London (2,000 & C) as Johnny Saint beat Alan Dennison to retain their World Lightweight title … CWA-Eur drew less than a full house (1744 & D+) as Tony St. Clair retained their World Middlewt title with a win over Mike Zrno and the tag champs Butcher Brannigan & John Quinn beat Dave Finlay and Jaroslav Novak to keep their belts intact.

A minor roster note of some interest from Japan where AJPW has reportedly decided not to resign promising youngster Toshiaki Kawada. Down in Mexico however the UWA has no such reservations about one of their top stars and is ready to resign Villano III.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thursday Week 1, June 1983, (part one of two)
We’re just getting ready to do what we do on the road tonight so we’ll just get right to last night’s busy schedule for the rest of the world with nine promotions in action.

The biggest story, no pun intended, comes from New Japan (3,978 & C), where Andre the Giant claimed the IWGP League Tournament title with wins over Animal Hamaguchi, Ryuma Go, and Rusher Kimura in the final. The big man was the only main eventer to participate in the tournament so anything less than a win would have been the surprise … Down in Puerto Rico, the most notable result for the WWC (2000 & C-) wasn’t Carlos Colon retaining his Universal Hvywt title with a win over Abdullah the Butcher but rather recent WWF Intercontinental champion Pedro Morales suffering from vertigo during a six man tag match. He’s expected to miss up to three weeks with the condition … Down in Mexico, the UWA also made more news out of the ring than in it. In West Central Mexico (2000 & C+) Canek beat El Solitario to keep the WWF World Lightweight belt but the talk was more about the signings of Angel Azteca, Black Man, and Kung Fu to beef up the roster, just a month after nearly a dozen workers were released from their contracts. Canek’s reign may be coming to an end soon however as reports indicate that he has rejected their offer to renew his contract … WCCW ran a sold out show in Austin, TX (5,000 & C) with The Freebirds again defending their six man titles by beating the Von Erichs … The AWA traveled to the Northwest (1,000 & C) where Nick Bockwinkel defended his World Hvywt title with a win over Baron Von Raschke. Also appearing were The Iron Sheik who lost to Brad Rheingans, Buzz Sawyer who lost a TV title match to champ Greg Gagne, and Crusher Blackwell & David Schults who lost to the team of Ken Patera & Larry Zbyszko … MACW was in North Carolina (5,000 & C) as Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood defended their NWA World Tag Team belts by beating Jerry Brisco & Dory Funk … AGPW went to Nova Scotia (1,000 & C-) for Leo Burke to beat The Cuban Assassin and keep his International Hvywt strap. Also on the show Gerry Morrow pinned The Spoiler … MSW went to the Midwest (1,000 & D+) where Dick Murdoch & Kamala (aka The Iron Men) beat Junkyard Dog & Mr. Wrestling II to defend their Tag Team titles and Mr. Olympia keeps their TV title by beating Tim Horner … AJW showcased All Japan’s take on the women in a tiny show (1,000 & D+) in Kanto. The main event saw Dump Matsumoto defeat Chigusa Nagayo to retain her Singles title. Also Lioness Asuka & Candi Divine beat The Jumping Bomb Angels.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thursday Week 1, June 1983, (part two of two)

Stars of GCW On Tour – 60 minutes at McDonald Gym, Beaumont, TX with 694 in attendance

Pre-show
Dave Finlay & Pat Rose d. Mike Starbuck & Randy Barber in 5:40 when Finlay defeated Barber by pinfall with an Inverted Piledriver. (E+)
The announcing of Freddy Miller & the commentary of Koko B. Ware gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down. Randy Barber is improving in Rumble skills. Dave Finlay is improving in Flying skills.

Paul Ellering d. Joe Lightfoot in 5:32 by pinfall after using a foreign object. (E+)
The announcing of Miller & commentary of Bob Armstrong gave the match a boost. The fans were really turned off by the finish to the match. This match brought the crowd's mood down. Paul Ellering is improving in Performance skills.

Freddy Miller hypes ongoing Hansen storyline & the TV show – 3 mins (F+)
Such a weak segment really bombed with the crowd.

Main show
Bobby Eaton d. Pez Whatley in 7:57 by pinfall with an Alabama Jam. (D+)
Bobby Eaton and Pez Whatley have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match. The commentary of Jake Roberts gave the match a boost.

Jake Roberts comes out to hype himself – 3 mins (C+)

Koko B. Ware d. Tim Horner in 6:28 by pinfall with a Brainbuster. (D)
The announcing of Miller & commentary by Roberts gave the match a boost. Tim Horner is improving in Performance skills.

Jim Barnett hypes charity raffle – 1 min (E)

Jake Roberts d. Brett Wayne in 7:48 by pinfall with The DDT. (C)
The commentary of Paul Ellering gave the match a boost. Jake Roberts came out of the match looking good.

Tommy Rich d. Animal (w/Paul Ellering) in 7:56 by pinfall with a Wildfire Driver. (C+)
Road Warrior Animal was visibly tiring toward the end.

Terry Gordy stops by on the way to the ring to insult Freddy Miller & the fans in Beaumont – 3 mins (B-)

Terry Gordy d. Bob Armstrong in 12:44 by pinfall with a Powerbomb. (B-)
Terry Gordy and Bullet Bob Armstrong have great chemistry, and it showed in their performances. The announcing of Miller wasn't up to the same standard as the match. Terry Gordy came out of the match looking good.

Final Show Rating: [b](C+)/b]

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-21-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Friday Week 1, June 1983

Eh, it was what it was I guess. Nice work from Gordy & Bullet to pull the night out for us, and Jake Roberts managed to drag more out of Brett Wayne than anyone could have expected. Snake is young but he also did a pretty fair job of putting together most of the matches on last night’s show too.

We’ve issued a warning to Hawk after he arrived late to last night’s show. Whether we were using him or not, if you’re going to show up then be on time. Terry Gordy & Dave Finlay have both asked me to keep their recent grueling schedules in mind when we’re booking in the future.

While we were busy in Beaumont, several other promotions were also doing their thing, including the WWF which ran In Your Neighborhood in Jacksonville, FL (1,000 & C). Sgt. Slaughter was the star of the night, defending his Heavyweight title with a win over Ray Stevens. Also on the show Roddy Piper picked up a big win over Hulk Hogan, who is reportedly not going to be resigned by New Japan … Speaking of NJPW, they put on a pretty good show in Kanto last night (2,000 & C) as Tatsumi Fujinami beat Antonio Inoki to retain the WWF International Hvywt title and Tiger Mask defeated The Dynamite Kid to keep his WWF Junior Hvywt belt … WCCW traveled to Lorain, OH (801 & D+) where The Great Kabuki defeated Kevin Von Erich in the main event … CENT visited the Sportatorium in Dallas, TX (2,000 & C-) where Manny Fernandez & Bruiser Brody beat Bob Brown & Buzz Tyler and Ted Oates defeated Jerry Oates on the undercard … PNW went to Andover, MI (255 & D) for Rip Oliver & Kendo Nagasaki to beat Randy Savage & Jay Strongbow … JPUK taped their weekly TV at the Royal Court Theatre (1,000 & C-) including Sid Cooper beating Mick McMichael to successfully defend the British Heavy-Middleweight belt.

Along with the rumor about Hogan not being renewed by NJPW, there’s also a story floating around that Mid-Atlantic isn’t planning to renew the contract of Bob Orton, Jr.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Week 1, June 1983, (part 1 of 2)
While we’re preparing for tonight’s TV, a quick look at last night’s happenings, starting with MACW “In Your Town” which went to the NorthWest (1,000 & C) for Ric Flair to beat Dory Funk, Jr and retain the NWA World Heavyweight title … The AWA visited Puerto Rico (553 & D+) as The High Flyers defeated Steve Regal & Steve O to retain their World Tag Team titles … New tag team champions in the WWC as they sold out a small show (300 & D+) in Mississippi for Carlos Colon & The Invader to beat Abdullah the Butcher & Bruiser Brody after four title defenses … Mid-South Wrestling visited Fort Worth, TX (2000 & C) where Dick Murdoch & Kamala defeated The Hacksaws (Duggan & Reed) by DQ to keep their Tag Team titles & Ted DiBiase beat Mr. Wrestling II to retain his North American Hvywt title. Also on the show Buddy Landell defeated Tim Horner … The WWA went to the North West (243 & E+) as Chris Markoff retained their Heavyweight title by beating Spike Huber … AJPW ran in Tohoku (2000 & C+) with a double main event featuring Harley Race’s successful PWF Hvywt title defense over Giant Baba and Jumbo Tsuruta going to a double countout with Stan Hansen… The UWA event in Southern Mexico (1000 & C+) saw Canek defeat Villano III to keep hold of the WWF World Light Hvywt title … ASWUK’s Nottingham show (1000 & C) featured Mark Rocco defeating Tony St. Clair to retain their World Heavy-Middleweight belt and Dave Finlay teaming with Skull Murphy to beat Chic Cullen and Marty Jones.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saturday Week 1, June 1983, (part 2 of 2)

Stars of GCW On Tour – 90 minutes at the Columbus(GA) Auditorium with 5,000 in attendance

Pre-show
Paul Ellering hypes The Road Warriors – 4 mins (D)
The segment wasn't very good to begin with, and this crowd really turned against it. The RW vs Bullet & Garvin storyline has continued with this segment.

Bob Armstrong d. Paul Ellering in 5:55 by pinfall with a Bulldog. (C+)
Bullet Bob Armstrong looked good out there. Paul Ellering is improving in Performance skills.

Ole Anderson d. Pat Rose in 5:42 by pinfall with an Anderson Running Knee. (C-)
The performance of Ole Anderson stood out as being good.

Main show

Stan Hansen d. Eric Embry in 8:58 by pinfall with The Lariat. (B-)

Hansen talks to Solie, Ole Anderson joins them & tells Hansen that he’s got his back and that he’s coming after Zbyszko while the big Texan takes care of his other business – 3 mins (B+)

Len Denton d. Thunderbolt Patterson in 7:37 by pinfall with a Piledriver. (C)
The announcing of Gordon Solie lifted the match.

Road Warrior Hawk d. Brad Armstrong in 5:51 by pinfall with a Hangman's Neckbreaker. (D)
The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. The announcing of Solie & the commentary of Freddy Miller gave the match a boost.

Ronnie Garvin d. Road Warrior Animal in 6:42 by pinfall with a Hands of Stone Punch. (C)
Road Warrior Animal was visibly tiring toward the end. The match suffered because of the lack of selling on display. The announcing of Solie & commentary by Miller gave the match a boost. The RW vs Bullet & Garvin storyline has continued with this match.

Mark Rocco d. Dennis Condrey in 8:32 by pinfall with a Diving Headbutt. Mark Rocco makes defence number 1 of his National Television title. (C+)

The Iron Sheik d. Rick Hunter in 10:52 by pinfall with a Loaded Boot Blast. (C+)
The Iron Sheik and Rick Hunter don't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout. The announcing quality lifted the match.

Larry Zbyszko taunts Hansen but says this has gone on long enough, if he’ll come down then Zbyszko will introduce him to the mystery man – 4 mins (B+)

Hansen runs down to confront Zbyszko, the champion bails and the lights go out. When the lights come back up, a battered Hansen is lying in the ring and has to be helped to the back during the commercial break – 4 mins (B+)

Larry Zbyszko d. Buzz Sawyer in 15:04 by pinfall with a Shoulder Breaker. Larry Zbyszko makes defence number 6 of his National Heavyweight title. (B-)
The announcing quality lifted the match. Larry Zbyszko looked good out there. This match lifted the crowd. Larry Zbyszko is improving in Flying skills.

Final Show Rating: (B-)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-09-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sunday Week 1, June 1983
Not bad, not bad at all really. Okay, granted, it’s not all sweetness & light since it’s tough to pull good matches out of Hawk or Animal consistently and I obviously should have switched the order for Ellering and Hawk, which is kind of a sad statement about the alleged wrestler of the pair’s ability but Zbyszko & Hansen are both money. Probably got more out of Patterson & Denton than I had any right to either.

Elsewhere last night CWA visited the North West (206 & D-) where Austin Idol beat Jerry Lawler … SECW headed out to Fremont, CA (146 & E+) as Randy Rose & Norvell Austin teamed up to defeat Steve Armstrong & The Tonga Kid … MLW ran at the Dunlop Arena in Ontario (2,000 & C) where a sold out crowd saw Tiger Jeet Singh defend his MLW World Hvywt belt with a win over Adrian Adonis and Raymond Rougeau beat Ricky Steamboat … The WWC was in Chandler, AZ (291 & D-) for Carlos Colon’s successful Universal Hvywt title defense against Bruiser Brody … Down in West Central Mexico the UWA show (1775 & C+) featured Dos Caras victory over Dr. Wagner.

The UWA can’t seem to make a decision & stick with it, as after the show they released several workers from their contracts, including some they only recently picked up. Black Man, MS-1, Angel Azteca, and Black Cat are all out
Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Monday Week 2, June 1983
Only one item of business for us today, as we finally get a call back from recently retired Mexican star Ricky Romero who we thought might be a valuable guy to have in the back. We still think he’d be valuable as a staff member but not at the $1750 per appearance he’s looking for. So after a short conversation, we’ll be moving right along …

The WWF was at the Joyce Center Rink (IN) last night (1867 & D) where The Wild Samoans defended their tag team belts with a win over Jimmy Snuka & Bob Backlund. Also on the show were Andre the Giant & Hulk Hogan, who teamed up to defeat Tito Santana & Rocky Johnson … CWF ran in Lorain, OH (1,000 & D+) headlined by Dusty Rhodes win over Bobby Duncum. Also on the card, Mike Graham pinned Adrian Street … ASW visited Quebec (120 & D-) where Moose Morowski defeated Bob Brown to retain his Canadian Hvywt title … The IWF was also in Quebec before a much larger crowd (4,376 & C) to see Gilles Poisson beat Rick Martel to defend their International Hvywt title … In Indiana, an Independent show drew a small crowd (40 & D-) for the main event of Lars Anderson over David Novak. Other names of note appearing on the nine match card included David Sammartino, Rick Rude, Terry Orndorff, Mighty Wilbur, and Otis Sistrunk.

GCW on TBS posted a 2.86, peaking in the 2nd half hour at 2.87 (up 0.23 for a new high)
AWA on US Small Synd II posted a 1.52 (same)
WWF on US Synd Small I posted a 1.43 (down 0.08)
Mid-Atlantic on Local TV posted a 0.84 (up 0.08, 2nd straight all-time high)
WCCW Local-Mid South posted a 0.56 (up 0.11)
CWF Wrestling from Florida on Local-SE posted a 0.35 (up 0.06)
Mid-South on Local II posted a 0.26 (down 0.01)
WWC on WAPA/Puerto Rico posted a 0.17 (up 0.01)
CWA All-Stars on WMC posted a 0.11 (up 0.01)
Big Time Wrestling on Local-NW posted a 0.11 (down 0.02, a new low)
GLOW on US Small Syn III posted a 0.08 (same)
Wrestling at the Chase (CENT) on Local MW II posted a 0.08 (same)

ITV World of Sport on ITV posted a 0.61 (up 0.02)
IWM on Local Quebec posted a 0.41 (down 0.02)
UWA Lucha Total on TV Mexico South posted a 0.09 (debut)
AGPW on TV Local Canada-Maritimes posted a 0.08 (debut)
CMLL on Telemundo cancelled 1.23
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the Dynasty forum ...

Tuesday Week 2, June 1983
Yesterday’s conversation with Ricky Romero got us thinking about our backstage area and so we put out some phone calls, just to see who might be in a more reasonable state of mind than he was. Probably nothing will come of it but we’ll see.

Only a handful of events last night, including HCW visiting Asheville, NC (142 & D+) where Kamala & The Masked Superstar defeated Junkyard Dog & Butch Reed … ASW went to BC (1,000 & D) as Al Tomko & Moose Morowski beat the team of Ramstead & Brown to defend their Canadian Hvywt Tag Team titles … ASW-UK was at the Bedlam Theater in Edinburgh, Scotland (300 & D+) with Chic Cullen and Steven Regal teaming to beat Terry Jowett & Mike Bennett in the main event, Mal Sanders & [b]Tony St. Clair[/i] pairing to defeat Dave Finlay & Skull Murphy while Mighty John Quinn & Mark Rocco went to a double count out with Steve Wright & Marty Jones … AGPW went to the Stephenville Dome in the Maritimes (1000 & C) for Leo Burke to beat The Spoiler and defend his Int’l Heavyweight title once again … GLOW visited the Mid West (300 & E) where Tammy Jones retained the GLOW Crown title by beating Matilda the Hun.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday Week 2, June 1983
The CWF Endless Beach Tour made the short trip to Sarasota, FL (2000 & C-) where The Purple Haze & Blackjack Mulligan ended in no contest allowing Haze to retain his Florida Hvywt title. On the undercard, Kevin Sullivan teamed with The Professional (Les Thornton) to beat Bob Roop & Rufus R. Jones, Adrian Street tagged with Bobby Duncum for a win over Leroy Brown & Terry Allen, and Jake Roberts defended his Bahamas title with a victory over Ron Bass … The WWA took Bruiser’s Bedlam on tour, stopping in Joplin, MO (1000 & D) for Chris Markoff to defend his Heavyweight title against Steve Regal, also Bobo Brazil went over Igor Volkoff … The CWA hit Kansas City, KS (1000 & D) for Jerry Lawler to defend the AWA Southern Hvywt belt by beating Moondog Rex, also Onslaught (Jacques Rougeau & King Cobra) defeated Bobby Eaton & Koko B. Ware … JPUK went to Glasgow, Scotland (1000 & C-) where Johnny Saint pinned Vic Faulkner to retain their World Lightweight title … CWA-Eur went to Central Europe with title defenses of their World Hvywt belt by Otto Wanz over Klaus Wallas and their World Middleweight belt by Tony St. Clair over Mile Zrno, also Team Dynasty (John Cox & Jaroslav Novak) defeated Fit Finlay & Rocky Moran.

Bigger news perhaps than most of the shows last night was word from across the pond that JPUK had released eight workers from their contracts, including Blondie Barratt and veteran Ben McCoy.