Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Big Six
High School Varsity

The Gridiron Life of John O'Farrell (TCY)

It's said that the third time's a charm, and I hope in this case, it is.

I've started two TCY dynasty stories for this forum, and neither one has taken off and flown.

My Roger Allen story was a lot of fun until something went wrong with the file and the game data wouldn't load properly.

My John O'Farrell/Notre Dame story was fun, until I realized that coaching a powerhouse team with the game set to an easy level was too easy. Coach O'Farrell recruited so many studs that before long the Fighting Irish were too good to be fun any longer. The last season I played (which I didn't write about for the forum) saw the Irish go 11-0, outscoring its opponents by a margin of almost 8:1.

This time, I'm keeping Coach O'Farrell as my main character, but I've given him a more daunting challenge. He's just been hired as the head football coach at Kent State University.

The Golden Flashes are among the weaker teams in major college football. They'll open the 2004 season ranked #107; even a couple of teams in the Buckeye Conference (the Solecismic Eight, set in Ohio) are stronger.

KSU's football program isn't known for its high academic standards in this universe, either. It's ranked #118 in Undergraduate Average, and none of its individual academic programs rank higher than #101.

Coach O'Farrell will, therefore, face a daunting task: lead the Golden Flashes to victory on the field while improving the program's academic reputation.

Why Kent State? I have some relatives with connections to KSU. My wife's mom and uncle graduated from there; her uncle was a student at Kent State on May 4, 1970. Click the link, and you'll find out why that fact is significant.

Much of this dynasty story will be written in first person, from Coach O'Farrell's perspective. Think of it as a diary, or as a very honest blog.

I hope you'll enjoy the story.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-11-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Big Six
High School Varsity

Preseason, 2004

I'm fairly pleased with the quality of my staff here at Kent State. They seem to be as talented as the coaches at other MAC schools, and most of them are young.

Syndicate coordinator Donovan Herndon, 43, is Excellent at dealing with Syndicate-related issues and at soliciting donations from alumni. He's Terrible when it comes to keeping athletes eligible, so it looks like I'll have to be even more diligent about recruiting good students than usual. Donovan won't be much help with the marginal guys.

Our defensive coordinator, David Buckner, 49, is particularly adept at playcalling. He's Lousy at helping players avoid injury, so the fact that he's Good at rehabilitating them is especially helpful. He's Terrible at helping young defensive linemen develop, but he's Pretty Good with the other position groups he works with.

Offensive coordinator Kendall Ohalete, 49, is a disciple of the Wing T offense. He's a Decent playcaller, and his ability to deal with players' health is the mirror image of Coach Buckner's--Excellent at injury avoidance, Terrible with rehab. His biggest weakness as a teacher is his ability to develop quarterbacks, a skill at which he's Poor. With the running backs and O-linemen that are the key to a successful Wing T offense, he's Good and Fair, respectively.

We plan on concentrating our recruiting efforts close to home, so our Great Lakes scout, Anthony Foley, will probably be the most important member of our scouting staff. Coach Foley, 45, is Terrific at judging the talent of QBs and WRs, and he's Excellent with O-linemen. However, he's basically throwing darts when it comes to identifying good defensive players. I'll have to make sure to visit our defensive recruiting targets myself and verify Coach Foley's evaluations.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Big Six
High School Varsity

Preseason, 2004

Here's the schedule the Golden Flashes will face in 2004. Home games are listed in ALL CAPS. Mid-American Conference games are highlighted in blue.

The preseason ranking of each of Kent's opponents is listed, too. I'll update these throughout the season and include them in my game writeups.

Code:
Week Opponent Ranking Week 2 at Iowa 25 Week 3 YOUNGSTOWN 102 Week 4 at Rutgers 87 Week 5 AKRON 103 Week 6 at Central Michigan 96 Week 7 at Miami of Ohio 65 Week 8 MARSHALL 68 Week 10 OHIO 105 Week 11 at Buffalo 117 Week 12 EASTERN MICHIGAN 116 Week 14 at Central Florida 89

Kent State is in the Mid-American Conference's North Division, along with Akron, Buffalo, Central Florida, Marshall, Miami of Ohio, and Ohio. The MAC South includes Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo, and Western Michigan. Akron is Kent State's most bitter rival.

Our preseason ranking is #107. I have no illusions about beating Iowa, but I think we ought to win our home opener against Buckeye Conference foe Youngstown. The Rutgers game will be a good, hard test on the road before we begin our conference schedule. If we're 2-1 at this point, I'll be thrilled.

We need a home win against Akron in our rivalry game, and I think we've got a decent shot at a road upset of Central Michigan. Miami is one of the four best teams in the MAC, so I'm not counting on a win at their place.

If we can beat Marshall at home, we might very well be on our way to a bowl game. The Herd will probably be favored to win. On the other hand, if we can't beat Buffalo and Eastern Michigan, we don't deserve to play in a bowl. The trip to Florida in December will be nice, and it will be even nicer if we win.

My (very) optimistic prediction: 9-2, 7-1 in the conference, and a MAC North championship.

My pessimistic prediction: 5-6, 4-4 in the conference. I'll be pleased if we finish with a winning record, either overall or in the MAC.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Big Six
High School Varsity

Meet the Offense

Preseason 2004

Here are the projected starters on our offensive unit this season, along with some other players I expect will play key roles.

Code:
POS NO NAME HT WT CL CR/PR HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL QB 19 Jack Turner 6-3 190 Jr 21/21 Idaho Falls, ID/Idaho Falls RB 32 Mickey Helms 5-10 192 Sr 30/30 Turbotville, PA/Warrior Run FB 37 Courtney Kennedy 5-11 228 Sr 53/53 Ada, OH/Ada SE 1 Darrin Wampus 6-1 184 So 25/54 Westerville, OH/South FL 81 Amos Willis 6-1 194 Sr 35/35 Avon, OH/Avon TE 83 Spencer Alston 6-5 226 So 15/34 Nazareth, PA/Nazareth Area LT 70 Phillip Harrison 6-4 278 Fr 19/51 Akron, OH/Manchester LG 73 Edgar Bennefield 6-5 277 Fr 18/59 Martinsville, IN/Martinsville C 53 Gilbert Barrere 6-3 283 Jr 33/61 West Union, OH/West Union RG 69 Percy Wheeler 6-3 253 Fr 7/47 Belleville, IL/East RT 74 Tyrus Jarvis 6-3 274 Jr 22/22 Parma, OH/Parma K 5 Jerry Bouman 5-11 170 Jr 38/49 North Versailles, PA/East Allegheny QB 13 Benjamin Summers 6-1 187 Jr 14/36 Springfield, OH/Shawnee RB 29 Jake Barton 5-11 211 Jr 22/35 Ossian, IN/Norwell RB 21 Clay Lowder 5-11 185 Fr 14/27 Richmond, IN/Richmond FB 20 Adam Rodriguez 5-11 216 Sr 47/47 Carrolton, OH/Carrolton WR 3 Ronnie Brady 5-10 166 Sr 23/23 Ashville, OH/Teays Valley TE 84 Butch Farler 6-4 220 Fr 11/39 Downey, CA/Downey OL 64 Cornell Corbett 6-5 271 So 13/31 Fond du Lac, WI/Theisen

Turner is the better QB right now, but Summers has more upside. I'll probably experiment with an "elephant backfield" in order to get both Kennedy and Rodriguez on the field at the same time. They're the two most talented players on the entire team. The receivers are OK, and Wampus has some potential down the line.

The offensive linemen are young and very raw, but they do have some upside. The three freshmen could conceivably play together for four years, and if they do, they could be a very cohesive, effective unit. I hope Wheeler doesn't get destroyed while he learns what's required of a collegiate O-lineman.

It's hard to imagine a situation in which I can't recruit players who are at least as talented as the guys I have on the roster now. Guys like Turner and Jarvis might find themselves starting as juniors and playing behind true freshmen as seniors.

Turner and Wampus look like they're going to be awful students. Turner majors in Business, but he has Bartending and Telemarketing on his class schedule. He's bright enough, but he's lazy as hell (Aspiration 7). Wampus, a Geography major, is neither particularly bright nor particularly motivated. He might struggle to pass Pokemon Training.

On the other hand, the young O-linemen are eager students, and all but Bennefield are brighter than average, too. They'll be fine role models for the younger players I recruit, guys who will exemplify the standards I want Kent State football players to achieve.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Recoil
High School Varsity

Great start. I think you'll find KSU to obviously be more challenging than ND, but also more satisfying once you get the program off the ground.

I'll be following. Good luck.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Big Six
High School Varsity

Meet the Defense

Preseason 2004

Here is our defensive starting lineup, with our key defensive reserves.

Code:
POS NO NAME HT WT CL CR/PR HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL LE 98 Don Mok 6-3 231 Jr 27/27 Medina, OH/Medina LT 91 Win Van Brocklin 6-5 281 Jr 27/27 Heath, OH/Heath RT 78 Ian Donaldson 6-3 260 Jr 23/34 Eben Junction, MI/Superior Central RE 97 Justin Elliott 6-6 262 Sr 27/27 Poseyville, IN/North Poseyville LLB 92 Edwin Horton 6-1 209 Sr 20/29 Chicago, IL/Mather MLB 40 Isaac Herndon 6-3 235 Sr 26/35 Fairfield, OH/Fairfield RLB 50 Lorenzo Bernier 6-0 192 Jr 22/22 Cottonwood, AZ/Mingus Union LCB 43 Shaun Cedeno 5-11 164 Sr 22/22 Marion, OH/Harding RCB 25 Terrell Fisher 5-8 163 Sr 23/23 Lowellville, OH/Lowellville SS 47 Frankie Contois 6-3 189 So 18/18 Upper Arlington, OH/Upper Arlington FS 30 Marc Bachman 5-10 175 Sr 22/31 Cleveland, OH/John Hay P 7 Alfred Boyer 6-1 187 So 26/57 Woods Cross, UT/Woods Cross DE 79 Hunter Mitchell 6-3 237 Fr 9/47 North Lewisburg, OH/Triad DT 76 Tyrone Lawhorn 6-1 249 Jr 22/22 Adrian, MO/Adrian OLB 99 Tim Gomez 5-11 192 Fr 13/35 Chicago, IL/Kelly ILB 58 Tyrone Newsome 6-3 206 Fr 7/28 Woodstock, IL/Woodstock ILB 49 Vince Geary 6-4 210 Fr 9/26 Lyndhurst, OH/Brush CB 44 Josh Dawkins 5-11 169 Jr 17/17 Millville, PA/Millville Area S 48 Jared Rhodes 6-1 173 Fr 7/32 Findlay, OH/Findlay

We'd better score some points, because it looks like our opponents will.

We have a veteran defense, but in this case, it means our below-average players aren't going to get much better. It's strange; Mok's and Donaldson's overall ratings imply they've maxed out their potential, but their individual rating reports show some green bar potential. I'm not sure what to take from that, except that Coach Foley is indeed Lousy at evaluating the talent of defensive linemen.

The linebackers and defensive backs are as unimpressive as the linemen are. Herndon and Bachman have some upside, but not much.

I chose to highlight the more promising younger players here, rather than the mediocre older guys who might get more playing time this year but who lack any real potential to help us down the road.

Mitchell looks like he could be good one day, but again, Coach Foley might not be the most reliable source here.

Our offensive players would beat our defensive players in Trivial Pursuit, best two of three. Herndon, an aspiring dentist, has the highest academic Aspiration on the team (97) but his scholarly bent separates him widely from most of his platoo-mates. Bachman, Cedeno, and Donaldson, for example, have a COMBINED Aspiration of 23.

Hopefully, we can recruit some defensive players this year who will, at least, push the returning players hard in 2005. To be fair, I haven't seen these guys on the field yet. They could turn out to be better than they look on paper. However, I'm not feeling too confident about our defense right now.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-11-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 1, 2004

Since we don't begin our season until next week, I was able to spend most of my time on recruiting. We concentrated our efforts on Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, and contacted 11 players. We offered scholarships to seven of them.

The most highly touted player we recruited heavily was Broderick Stokes, a safety from Ravenna, Ohio. He's ranked #20 in the nation at his position by rivals.com, and his grades and SAT scores are solid.

I was reminded of how much work we'll have to do to make the Kent State program into what we think it ought to be. Players kept telling us how disappointed they were in the quality of our academic programs. I might have to shift my recruiting efforts toward students who don't care as much about academics, but that's something I really don't want to do.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Big Six
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Great start. I think you'll find KSU to obviously be more challenging than ND, but also more satisfying once you get the program off the ground.

I'll be following. Good luck.

I think you're right, Recoil. Program-building is one of the things I enjoy most about college sports simulations. If I take on a powerhouse again, I'm going to crank the difficulty level up almost all the way and see what happens.

Thanks for the comment.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 2, 2004

Kent State at #25 Iowa

As expected, we went to Iowa and got our ears pinned back. We entered the game as 15-point underdogs, which seemed to a lot of people to be very generous. When the smoke cleared, we had allowed nearly 600 yards of total offense, including 350 on the ground, and went home licking our wounds from a 49-3 loss.

By nature I'm a positive person, but it's tough to find many good things about this game. Our backup running backs looked pretty good running against Iowa's second defense; Jake Barton gained 58 yards rushing and true freshman Clay Lowder got 53 on three carries. Jerry Bouman tried one field goal, and made it. We also didn't get banged up too badly. DE Justin Elliott tore a ligament in his thumb, and he'll be doubtful for next week, but that's the only injury we're dealing with.

On the other hand, we let Bo Ogle run for 250 yards against us. If he goes on to win the Heisman Trophy, he'll have us to thank for getting his season off to a great start.

I know Iowa is a good team, from a power conference, and they're nationally ranked. Still, we shouldn't let them gain yardage at will.

Kent State's record: 0-1.
Kent State's ranking: #102.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 3, 2004
Youngstown (#115) at Kent State (#102)

Code:
Youngstown 7 14 0 7 - 28 Kent State 7 14 17 10 - 48 1Q: 05:00 KENT - Jake Barton 3 run. 1Q: 05:00 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 1Q: 01:13 YOUN - Tito Burke 13 pass from Gus Page. 1Q: 01:13 YOUN - Myron Tuinei extra point. 2Q: 13:40 YOUN - Daniel Phillips 56 interception return. 2Q: 13:40 YOUN - Myron Tuinei extra point. 2Q: 11:45 KENT - Mickey Helms 30 run. 2Q: 11:45 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 07:29 YOUN - Eugene Strange 4 run. 2Q: 07:29 YOUN - Myron Tuinei extra point. 2Q: 04:38 KENT - Jake Barton 21 run. 2Q: 04:38 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 11:34 KENT - Darrin Wampus 10 pass from Jack Turner. 3Q: 11:34 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 06:05 KENT - Amos Willis 39 pass from Jack Turner. 3Q: 06:05 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 00:02 KENT - Jerry Bouman 27 field goal. 4Q: 13:31 YOUN - Rob Goricki 12 pass from Gus Page. 4Q: 13:31 YOUN - Myron Tuinei extra point. 4Q: 03:15 KENT - Courtney Kennedy 10 pass from Jack Turner. 4Q: 03:15 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 00:37 KENT - Jerry Bouman 28 field goal.

We went into this game as two-point favorites, and for 30 minutes, the game was as close as you'd expect from two teams that were that closely matched on paper. After standing toe to toe with Youngstown for a half, we broke the game open in the third and fourth quarters. It was great to see the players respond the way they did.

I couldn't be more pleased with the way we executed our ground game. We ran the ball 56 times for 407 yards!! Jake Barton and Mickey Helms each got 16 carries; Barton gained 120 yards, Helms 197.

As good as they were, the O-line was incredible. Center Gilbert Barrere was credited with nine key run blocks, guard Edgar Bennefield had seven, and second string tackle Bryant Williams added four.

I liked the way Jack Turner looked, too. He went 15-20 for 201 yards, and except for the pick-six he threw, he made good decisions all day long.

Our defense still struggled, and we allowed another RB to run roughshod over us. We'll have to play better against our conference opponents in order to win.

Still, it's great to get a victory under our belts. There was a decent crowd at the game today, and I think we put on a good show for them.

Barrere, Burton, and Helms all got Player of the Week mention.

Nobody got hurt, which makes it all that much better.

Recruiting News
We're getting our first visit from a recruit this coming week. QB Kendall Page from Valley Forge HS in Cleveland will come to campus and look around. Kendall's stats aren't much to look at, but I think he'd be a decent fit here. He's a good student, reporting a 3.33 GPA and an 1190 SAT.

Kent State's record: 1-1.
Kent State's ranking after the game: #76.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-12-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 4, 2004
Kent State (#76) at Rutgers (#104)

Code:
Kent State 14 0 7 9 - 30 Rutgers 0 10 0 15 - 25 1Q: 10:19 KENT - Jake Barton 17 run. 1Q: 10:19 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 1Q: 05:20 KENT - Amos Willis 5 pass from Jack Turner. 1Q: 05:20 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 11:45 RUTG - Louie Thomason 1 pass from Horace Reynolds. 2Q: 11:45 RUTG - Deion Lai extra point. 2Q: 06:20 RUTG - Deion Lai 30 field goal. 3Q: 11:41 KENT - Darrin Wampus 10 pass from Jack Turner. 3Q: 11:41 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 13:45 RUTG - Ken Hansen 2 pass from Horace Reynolds. 4Q: 13:45 RUTG - Horace Reynolds pass to Ken Hansen for conversion 4Q: 09:10 KENT - Jerry Bouman 27 field goal. 4Q: 01:43 RUTG - Rob Ballard 33 pass from Horace Reynolds. 4Q: 01:43 RUTG - Deion Lai extra point. 4Q: 00:29 KENT - Jake Barton 3 run. 4Q: 00:29 KENT - Jake Barton run for conversion failed.

Going into the season, I believed the Rutgers game would present us with a good, hard test. I thought if we played well, we'd have a chance to win the game, and good teams often separate themselves from the pack by winning away from home.

I was right about the game being a good one, and we're extremely happy with the outcome. How could we not be, after we scored a game-winning touchdown with less than 30 seconds remaining?

After Rutgers scored to take the lead, we got a good kickoff return from Kent Isola, a senior WR. On our first play from scrimmage, Jack Turner hooked up with Amos Willis for 48 yards to the Rutgers 15; from there we kept it on the ground and scored. Gilbert Barrere threw another great block on Jake Barton's TD run.

We opened our offense up a little more against Rutgers. Turner threw 39 times, completing 21 for 294 yards, 2 TD and an INT. Willis and Darrin Wampus each caught five passes.

Our running game featured great balance, too. Barton, Mickey Helms, and FB Courtney Kennedy all rushed for between 41 and 59 yards. Barton and Turner were mentioned on the Players of the Week list.

The defense looked a lot better, too. Our senior LB, Isaac Herndon, was all over the field--he made 16 tackles and earned the game ball (the MVP award). Lorenzo Bernier was in on 10 stops, and Hunter Mitchell got two sacks.

At 2-1, we are right where I wanted us to be after three games.

Recruiting Update
Four more players are visiting this week:
  • OT Robert Barker
  • OLB Jim Goodwin
  • RB Levon Browning
  • K Patrick John Sy
Sy is also visiting Ohio, so it looks like we're battling a MAC opponent for his services.

Only one of our other top recruits has announced an official visit. ILB Roderick Turnbull is visiting Youngstown this week.

We've offered scholarships to a total of 24 players, hoping to fill up our 16-player recruiting class.

Kent State's record: 2-1.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-12-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 5, 2004
#44 Akron (2-1) at #71 Kent State (2-1)
TV4

Code:
Akron 7 10 7 0 - 24 Kent State 7 14 3 20 - 44 1Q: 13:15 AKRN - Arnie Cepeda 5 pass from Jonathan VandenBelt. 1Q: 13:15 AKRN - Conrad Osborne extra point. 1Q: 08:15 KENT - Jake Barton 2 run. 1Q: 08:15 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 13:39 KENT - Jake Barton 7 run. 2Q: 13:39 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 10:33 AKRN - Jonathan VandenBelt 6 run. 2Q: 10:33 AKRN - Conrad Osborne extra point. 2Q: 06:26 KENT - Mickey Helms 9 run. 2Q: 06:26 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 00:22 AKRN - Conrad Osborne 22 field goal. 3Q: 06:34 KENT - Jerry Bouman 20 field goal. 3Q: 03:28 AKRN - Greg Kamphaus 12 run. 3Q: 03:28 AKRN - Conrad Osborne extra point. 4Q: 09:16 KENT - Clay Lowder 5 run. 4Q: 09:16 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 04:54 KENT - Mickey Helms 18 run. 4Q: 04:54 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 02:30 KENT - Courtney Kennedy 6 run. 4Q: 02:30 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point failed.

We're developing a formula for victory that I really like a lot. When we're at our best, we keep the ball on the ground and wear teams down, and take control of the game during the second half. That's what we did this week, and we came away with a big win against our biggest rival in our conference opener.

I think our guys were upset about the fact they were seven-point underdogs at home, and they took it out on the Zips.

We ran the ball 63 times for 340 net yards and six touchdowns. Courtney Kennedy, our big fullback, led the way with 120 yards on 16 carries, and Mickey Nelms added 95 more on 17 carries. Not surprisingly, we won the possession battle by a wide margin; we had the ball for nearly 38 minutes. When we did throw, we were fairly efficient.

For the second straight week, nobody on our team got hurt. Justin Elliott is able to play with his bad thumb, so we've been very, very lucky.

A decent crowd came out to watch us, but there were still quite a few empty seats in our stadium. I hope that soon becomes a thing of the past.

Speaking of our stadium, I haven't told you anything about it yet. Dix Stadium opened in 1969, and it seats 29,300 fans. It has a FieldTurf playing surface.

Our local economy is considered Pretty Good, as are our Community Loyalty, Alumni Loyalty, and Student Goodwill. We sold 17,900 season tickets this year. Our seating breakdown and ticket prices look like this:

Code:
LOCATION SEATS PRICE End Zone 10,100 $11 Upper Deck 7,300 $14 Alumni Section 4,200 $14 Premium Sideline 6,500 $15 Student Section 1,200 $5 TOTAL 29,300

Recruiting Update

One more recruit has announced he will make an official visit to Kent State:
  • OLB Wayne Merrill
No other Kent State recruit has any new visits lined up, and none of the players we've offered a scholarship has signed with anyone. I'm expecting the recruiting action to heat up soon.

Kent State's record: 3-1; 1-0 in MAC play.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 6, 2004
#49 Kent State (3-1, 1-0) at #72 Central Michigan (1-2, 0-0)

Code:
Kent State 7 3 7 7 - 24 Central Michigan 7 14 3 7 - 31 1Q: 06:40 CMIC - Reggie Marston 5 pass from Jim Porter. 1Q: 06:40 CMIC - Kris Witt extra point. 1Q: 00:46 KENT - Darrin Wampus 5 pass from Jack Turner. 1Q: 00:46 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 13:21 KENT - Jerry Bouman 28 field goal. 2Q: 05:35 CMIC - Ross Schwartz 11 pass from Jim Porter. 2Q: 05:35 CMIC - Kris Witt extra point. 2Q: 02:26 CMIC - Reggie Marston 18 run. 2Q: 02:26 CMIC - Kris Witt extra point. 3Q: 12:31 KENT - Josh Dawkins 44 interception return. 3Q: 12:31 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 07:48 CMIC - Kris Witt 25 field goal. 4Q: 12:59 KENT - Mickey Helms 22 run. 4Q: 12:59 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 09:10 CMIC - Drew Dawson 11 pass from Jim Porter. 4Q: 09:10 CMIC - Kris Witt extra point.

Central Michigan turned out to be a better team than anyone expected. Their defense played a terrific game, and they were very opportunistic on offense. We turned the ball over four times--three interceptions and a fumble--and when you do that, you have a hard time winning football games.

I have to give some props to Isaac Herndon. He was in on 16 more tackles today, making him third in the nation in total tackles. Isaac is a real playmaker--a big, strong, active middle linebacker who simply knows how to play football. I wasn't expecting him to be quite as good a player as he is.

I checked the NCAA team statistics, and we're sixth among DI teams in rushing yards, and seventh in yards per rushing attempt. Our young offensive line is really jelling, and Gilbert Barrere and Edgar Bennefield are two of the most productive blockers in the conference.

Not much else to say. I tip my cap to Central Michigan for defending their turf and winning a tough, defensive game.

Recruiting Update

We're still waiting on our first commitment, but one of the players who was high on our list signed with someone else. ILB Roderick Turnbull, who would have been a great addition, is going to Youngstown.

OT Brad Chandler, from Pennsylvania, told us this week that he'd like to make an official visit to Kent State. Another OT we've been recruiting, Tyrus Boggs, is going to visit Lima. Our staff thinks Boggs is the better player, but Chandler likes us more at this point.

Kent State's record: 3-2, 1-1 in MAC play.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-12-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 7, 2004
#55 Kent State (3-2, 1-1) at #83 Miami of Ohio (2-3, 1-1)

Code:
Kent State 0 3 3 7 - 13 Miami of Ohio 7 7 7 28 - 49 1Q: 06:25 MIAO - Rico Bohdanowicz 1 run. 1Q: 06:25 MIAO - Dixon Saltsman extra point. 2Q: 11:02 MIAO - Joel Oshiro 28 pass from Rex Cook. 2Q: 11:02 MIAO - Dixon Saltsman extra point. 2Q: 07:07 KENT - Jerry Bouman 25 field goal. 3Q: 10:02 KENT - Jerry Bouman 27 field goal. 3Q: 06:13 MIAO - Bruce Azer 3 pass from Rex Cook. 3Q: 06:13 MIAO - Dixon Saltsman extra point. 4Q: 12:26 MIAO - Rico Bohdanowicz 10 run. 4Q: 12:26 MIAO - Dixon Saltsman extra point. 4Q: 07:55 MIAO - Bruce Azer 4 pass from Rex Cook. 4Q: 07:55 MIAO - Dixon Saltsman extra point. 4Q: 03:17 KENT - Jake Barton 3 run. 4Q: 03:17 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 02:08 MIAO - Irving Roeder 14 run. 4Q: 02:08 MIAO - Dixon Saltsman extra point. 4Q: 00:24 MIAO - Irving Roeder 1 pass from Rex Cook. 4Q: 00:24 MIAO - Dixon Saltsman extra point.

Ouch. This one hurts.

If you look at the line score, that "28" for Miami in the fourth quarter really stands out. Don't be fooled, however; the game wasn't that close before then. We were already down 21-6, and it didn't feel like we were really in the game.

We were actually favored to win this one, which I wouldn't have expected at the beginning of the season. The Redhawks played better against us than they've played all year, and that's to their credit.

Once again, we had trouble stopping other teams from running the ball against us. When your opponent gains over seven yards a carry against you, you'll need to have a bunch of breaks go your way if you're going ot keep him off the scoreboard. More often, the outcome looks like what we saw this week: seven touchdowns, all but one scored on ground or set up by long, grind-it-out drives.

Jake Barton played well for us--10 carries, 58 yards--and so did Isaac Herndon. Herndon had another 12 tackles and a sack, and he broke up a pass. He got Player of the Week mention, and I think he's in position for All-MAC recognition, too.

Recruiting Update

When it rains, it pours! Fifteen players informed us that they're making official visits to our campus this week:
  • RB Randall Gillespie
  • RB Jonathan McSherry
  • WR Joey Koehler
  • TE Shaun Guidry
  • C Colin Cunningham
  • G B.J. Webster
  • G Tommie Wallack
  • T Tyrus Boggs
  • T Leon Palmer
  • DT Brandon Caskey
  • OLB Ross Bowen
  • CB Mitch Clark
  • S Adrian Castillo
  • S Broderick Stokes
I had previously been targeting very few players who were top students, guys with GPAs better than 3.00 and SATs higher than 1150 or so. I wasn't getting as much interest from them as I liked, so this past week I contacted players with slightly lower academic credentials. Several of them immediately scheduled visits, but so did some of the guys we'd been recruiting all along.

We also received our first commitment. OLB Wayne Merrill from South Range High School in North Lima, Ohio is the first member of our incoming class. He's the #100 player in Ohio, and is considered the #6 OLB in the state. However, he's a marginal student and has a history of some attitude problems, so he might present us with a few challenges.

I suppose that could be par for the course for a while, before we rebuild the image of the Kent State program.

Kent State's record: 3-3, 1-2 in MAC play.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 8, 2004
#73 Marshall (2-3, 2-0) at #76 Kent State (3-3, 1-3)

Code:
Marshall 3 7 7 16 - 33 Kent State 7 14 0 0 - 21 1Q: 10:27 KENT - Jake Barton 3 run. 1Q: 10:27 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 1Q: 04:34 MRSH - Don Shapiro 28 field goal. 2Q: 09:36 KENT - Mickey Helms 23 pass from Jack Turner. 2Q: 09:36 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 06:22 KENT - Isaac Herndon 61 interception return. 2Q: 06:22 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 01:30 MRSH - Sammy Huffman 13 pass from Jeremy Cole. 2Q: 01:30 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 3Q: 02:41 MRSH - Shawn Miller 62 fumble return. 3Q: 02:41 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 4Q: 06:12 MRSH - Emmanuel McCarthy 1 run. 4Q: 06:12 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 4Q: 04:27 MRSH - Don Shapiro 39 field goal. 4Q: 02:39 MRSH - Don Shapiro 44 field goal. 4Q: 00:43 MRSH - Don Shapiro 39 field goal.

When Isaac Herndon picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown in the second quarter, we took a 21-3 lead and it looked like we were home free.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t end the game at halftime. We didn’t score again, Marshall put 30 more points on the board, and we lost another one. >>
Marshall has a better-than-average offense, and they demonstrated that fact against us this week. Jeremy Cole, their QB, played well, and Freddie McWilliams ran for over 140 yards. They’re both seniors, and they stepped up.

We had to play without one of our seniors, WR Amos Willis. He separated his shoulder, and he probably won’t be back to full strength for another three weeks.

Mickey Helms (12 carries, 93 yards) had a good game, and so did Jack Turner (14-20, 130 yards, TD). And Isaac Herndon was great again—14 more tackles and that pick-six. He’s playing himself into some serious consideration for post-season honors.

Now we’re 1-3 in the Mid-American Conference. We have to turn things around quickly.

Recruiting Update
Our 2005 recruiting class really took shape this week, as eight players accepted scholarship offers to play for Kent State.

The eight newest Golden Flashes are:
  • RB Randall Gillespie
  • TE Shaun Guidry
  • C Colin Cunningham
  • T Tyrus Boggs
  • P Pat Sawyer
  • DT Brandon Caskey
  • OLB Russ Bowen
  • CB Mitch Clark
We're very pleased with these players. Sawyer, Bowen, and Boggs are ranked among the 1000 best players in the nation, according to rivals.com. Six of them are listed among the best 100 players at their position, and all of them are on their state's Top 100 list.

What's more, all but two of them have GPAs over 3.00 and GPAs over 1000. They're legitimate scholar athletes.

This week, we have another large group of players coming to campus. We still have seven open scholarships, so this looks to be a big week for us, too.

Kent State's record: 3-4, 1-3 in MAC play.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-14-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 9, 2004

We didn't have a game this week, so we went back to work with a vengeance. We also had more time to concentrate on building our future through our recruiting efforts.

Recruiting Update

Four players accepted offers to play for us this week:
  • QB Josh Roaf
  • G Seth Gourdine
  • ILB Darnell Warren
  • S Adrian Castillo
Signing Castillo is HUGE for us! He's ranked #8 in the nation among players at his position, he carries a 3.73 GPA, and he scored 1270 on his SAT. I confess; I didn't think we had much of a chance to land Adrian, after I saw the other schools he was visiting: Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

We needed to bring in a quarterback, and we think Roaf will be a good one. He's the #724 player in the nation, and the #7 player in a particularly strong group of Ohio QBs.

Three more scholarship offers remain unclaimed, and hopefully we'll have a full recruiting class next week.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 10, 2004
#120 Ohio (1-7, 1-4) at #86 Kent State (3-4, 1-3)

Code:
Ohio 0 17 7 10 - 34 Kent State 7 3 7 14 - 31 1Q: 12:41 KENT - Mickey Helms 22 run. 1Q: 12:41 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 13:23 KENT - Jerry Bouman 45 field goal. 2Q: 08:47 OHIO - Aaron Lincoln 3 run. 2Q: 08:47 OHIO - Archie Austin extra point. 2Q: 06:59 OHIO - Archie Austin 22 field goal. 2Q: 02:20 OHIO - Horace Tauke 9 run. 2Q: 02:20 OHIO - Archie Austin extra point. 3Q: 06:01 OHIO - Xavier Moronkola 20 pass from Devin Woodley. 3Q: 06:01 OHIO - Archie Austin extra point. 3Q: 01:19 KENT - Jake Barton 1 run. 3Q: 01:19 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 11:39 OHIO - Archie Austin 44 field goal. 4Q: 08:13 KENT - Amos Willis 6 pass from Jack Turner. 4Q: 08:13 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 04:27 OHIO - Horace Tauke 1 run. 4Q: 04:27 OHIO - Archie Austin extra point. 4Q: 00:44 KENT - Amos Willis 8 pass from Jack Turner. 4Q: 00:44 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

This was a game we could have won--perhaps SHOULD have won--and we didn't.

Once again, our ability to stop other teams from running the ball hurt us. Horace Tauke added his name to the list of backs who have rushed for over 100 yards against us. He's a good running back, but we have a way of making good running backs look like great ones.

It was a cold, rainy day, and neither team could pass the ball effectively. We moved the ball on the ground pretty well, with Mickey Helms (14 carries, 116 yards) and Courtney Kennedy (9 carries, 86 yards) doing the bulk of the work.

We didn't have WR Darrin Wampus this week, because he got his knee scoped; Amos Willis showed great toughness by coming back ahead of schedule from his shoulder injury and catching two short TD passes.

Isaac Herndon had another typical Isaac Herndon game: 15 tackles. He now leads all Division I players in tackles. I know that's partially a result of the fact that teams run the ball so much against us, but Isaac also has 14 tackles for losses, and only one of them is a sack. That means he's stuffing a lot of
ballcarriers--many more than most linebackers do.

Recruiting Update
We signed three more players this week:
  • QB Deon Scribner
  • RB Blaine Kooistra
  • G Tommie Wallack
With their signings, our 16-player recruiting class is complete. Looking back, I wish we'd signed a defensive end. We had shots at a couple of good ones, but lost out in each case.

After the season's over, I'll post lots of information about the players in the recruiting Class of 2005.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-14-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #18
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 11, 2004
#95 Kent State (3-5, 1-4) at #94 Buffalo (3-5, 2-4)

Code:
Kent State 7 3 7 7 - 24 Buffalo 3 0 0 7 - 10 1Q: 03:54 BUFF - Dwight Bradley 21 field goal. 1Q: 01:06 KENT - Clay Lowder 45 run. 1Q: 01:06 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 07:09 KENT - Jerry Bouman 42 field goal. 3Q: 02:11 KENT - Kent Isola 9 pass from Jack Turner. 3Q: 02:11 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 10:17 BUFF - Aaron Mussi 27 interception return. 4Q: 10:17 BUFF - Dwight Bradley extra point. 4Q: 03:19 KENT - Amos Willis 2 pass from Jack Turner. 4Q: 03:19 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

According to the computer rankings, this was the closest possible matchup in all of Division I football. Our defense got tired of getting sand kicked in its face, and stood up for itself against Buffalo.

We allowed the Bulls only 77 yards rushing all day, and only 117 yards passing. As a result, our defensive players could come off the field with their heads held high, an experience they haven't had very often this year.

Isaac Herndon had "only" 11 tackles, but he was all over the field, making Buffalo account for him on every down. We also put great pressure on their QB all day. DE Don Mok and DT Ian Donaldson each got a sack. They're our leaders in that category this year: Mok has 7.5 and Donaldson 6.5 to their credit.

I feel really badly for our cornerback, Terrell Fisher. He's out for the year with a compound fracture of his leg. He's a senior, so he's obviously played his last game for the Golden Flashes. I think the defense wanted to play especially well for Terrell, who is one of the happiest, most positive guys on the team.

Offensively, we got our ground game cranked up early, with a great long run by backup RB Clay Lowder setting the tone for the entire day. Mickey Helms (12 carries, 112 yards) had another good day, and our big FB, Courtney Kennedy ran hard all day (10 carries, 52 yards).

We needed this one, if for no other reason than to feel better about the direction we're heading as the season draws to a close.

Kent State's record: 4-5, 2-4 in MAC play.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-14-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 12, 2004
#99 Eastern Michigan (3-6,3-3) at #86 Kent State (4-5, 2-4)

Code:
Eastern Michigan 0 7 0 0 - 7 Kent State 0 7 14 14 - 35 2Q: 09:30 EMIC - Sam Deericks 11 pass from Hunter England. 2Q: 09:30 EMIC - Oliver Shepard extra point. 2Q: 00:27 KENT - Courtney Kennedy 10 run. 2Q: 00:27 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 11:47 KENT - Benjamin Summers 22 run. 3Q: 11:47 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 03:53 KENT - Adam Rodriguez 11 run. 3Q: 03:53 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 13:22 KENT - Mickey Helms 2 run. 4Q: 13:22 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 01:10 KENT - Clay Lowder 6 run. 4Q: 01:10 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

On a dismal day for football--35 degrees and rain that felt more like sleet--we spotted Eastern Michigan an early touchdown and then shut them out the rest of the way.

Five different players ran for touchdowns as we kept the ball on the ground , controlling the tempo of the game and the clock. We rushed for 301 yards and kept possession of the ball for over 36 minutes, and we picked up 31 first downs.
Mickey Helms (20 carries, 101 yards) and Courtney Kennedy (14 carries, 97 yards) gave us a great one-two punch again today.

It was great to see Adam Rodriguez score a touchdown today. He's a terrific football player who, unfortunately, plays the same position as Courtney Kennedy. I wish Adam weren't a senior this year, because he'd be a great foundation for our offense next year.

Any time your running game is as effective as ours was today, your O-line has to play well, and ours was fantastic today. We gave Gilbert Barrere a game ball for his 7 key run blocks in 14 opportunties, but we could have just as easily honored Edgar Bennefield (6/11) or Phillip Harrison (5/9).

After having very few problems with injuries, we've been hit hard the last few weeks. Very early in the game, QB Jack Turner went out with a knee injury, and he wasn't able to return. The diagnosis wasn't good; Jack tore cartilage in his knee and is probably not going to play again this year. He should recover fully and be ready for spring practice, however. Benjamin Summers came in and played well, and he'll be the starter the rest of the way.

TE Spencer Alston got hurt, too; he tore a calf muscle and, like Turner, he's probably out for the year. Freshman Butch Farler stepped in for Alston. Butch is a better receiver than Spencer is, but Spencer is a better blocker.

Our defense played exceptionally well again, too, holding Eastern Michigan to under 200 total yards. They've allowed only 17 points in their last two games, and I'm thrilled to see them finish so strong.

We have one game left, and we still have a lot to play for. We can finish the season with a winning record, and we can finish .500 in the conference. If Mickey has a big game (161 yards) he can reach the 1000-yard plateau; he'd have had it easily if we didn't spread the carries around as evenly as we do. Both Courtney Kennedy and Jake Barton have good chances to exceed 500 rushing yards.

I'm feeling a lot better about the season after the last two games.

Kent State's record: 5-5, 3-4 in MAC play.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-15-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #20
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 14, 2004
#75 Kent State (5-5, 3-4) at #51 Central Florida (6-4, 6-1)
TV 4

Code:
Kent State 0 0 3 3 - 6 Central Florida 10 10 0 14 - 34 1Q: 10:39 CFLA - Ronnie Mancini 33 field goal. 1Q: 05:39 CFLA - Louie Kuhlman 11 run. 1Q: 05:39 CFLA - Ronnie Mancini extra point. 2Q: 14:43 CFLA - Levon Sheldon 29 pass from Thurman Schneider. 2Q: 14:43 CFLA - Ronnie Mancini extra point. 2Q: 05:16 CFLA - Ronnie Mancini 26 field goal. 3Q: 01:17 KENT - Jerry Bouman 28 field goal. 4Q: 11:48 CFLA - Louie Kuhlman 1 run. 4Q: 11:48 CFLA - Ronnie Mancini extra point. 4Q: 03:49 CFLA - Louie Kuhlman 2 run. 4Q: 03:49 CFLA - Ronnie Mancini extra point. 4Q: 00:20 KENT - Jerry Bouman 28 field goal.

We knew we'd have a tough game on our hands this week. Central Florida, which for some inexplicable reason is in the Mid-American NORTH division, came into the game 6-1 in the conference. No matter what happened today, they had secured a spot in the MAC title game. I hoped we'd ride the momentum of our last two games into Orlando and catch the Golden Knights off guard.

That didn't happen, and it's to UCF's credit that they didn't let it happen.

The Golden Knights roughed us up pretty good. Louie Kuhlman rushed for 198 yards, and his backup, Marlon Hazam, had 76 more.

They ran behind their excellent tackle, Jeff Logan, who will almost certainly make All-MAC, first team. He's the best offensive lineman we've seen all year long.

Kuhlman is the second leading rusher in the conference, with well over 1000 yards going into the game, so it's not like we let a putz run all over us. Still, we shouldn't ever let a back hang nearly 200 yards on us.

In the final game of his collegiate career, Isaac Herndon made 14 tackles, including five more TFL. Kuhlman apparently had very nice things to say about Isaac in a post-game interview. He said Isaac is the best defensive player in the conference, and that their game plan involved making sure #40 couldn't run wild and make plays all day long.

The UCF defense shut us down all day, and we didn't ever get things rolling. Benjamin Summers had a rough day, and their D-line was really tough.

We didn't even get to enjoy some real Florida weather. It was 50 degrees and rainy at game time.

Next week, Central Florida will play Northern Illinois, the South Division champion, in the MAC championship game. The winner will play in the Raisin Bowl out in Fresno.

Kent State's record: 5-6, 3-5 in MAC play.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-15-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
Big Six
High School Varsity

Postseason Notes, Part One
  • Central Florida defeated Northern Illinois in the Mid-American Conference championship, 28-13.
  • However, because Notre Dame earned a spot in a BCS bowl, the Golden Knights went to the Aloha Bowl, instead of taking the MAC champion's automatic bid to the Raisin Bowl. Out in Hawaii, the Golden Knights lost to UNLV, 34-14.
  • Northern Illinois traveled to Fresno, CA for the Raisin Bowl. There, #20 Kansas State beat them, 45-13.
  • #1 Miami (FL) faced #2 Nebraska for the national championship in the Rose Bowl. The Hurricanes won a classic, 23-20.
  • Texas Tech's junior QB, Sammie Knight, won the Heisman Trophy. The Del Valle, TX native completed 305 of 490 passes for 42 touchdowns, and led the Red Raiders to a 10-3 record and a victory over California in the Fiesta Bowl.
Here are Kent State's final statistics for the 2004 season. Graduating seniors are highlighted in blue.

Code:
PASSING ATT COM PCT YDS TD INT Turner 212 112 52.8 1325 11 11 Summers 53 24 45.2 251 0 2 TEAM 266 137 51.5 1583 11 13 RUSHING ATT YDS AVG TD Helms 141 855 6.1 6 Kennedy 99 506 5.1 2 Barton 92 483 5.3 9 Lowder 30 228 7.5 3 Rodriguez 22 112 5.1 1 Turner 50 30 0.6 0 TEAM 485 2305 5.0 22 RECEIVING NO YDS AVG TD Kennedy 24 164 6.8 1 Wampus 23 306 13.3 3 Willis 18 257 14.2 5 Farler 12 157 13.0 0 Brady 11 144 13.0 0 Helms 11 129 11.7 1 Isola 10 148 14.8 1 Barton 9 64 7.1 0 Alston 6 67 11.1 0 Osborne 4 53 13.2 0 TEAM 266 1583 11.5 11 KICKING FG FGA LNG XP XPA PTS Bouman 12 21 45 33 34 69 PUNTING NO YDS AVG LNG In20 Boyer 49 1737 35.4 51 9 BLOCKING KRB KRO BL% SkA OFF% Barrere 41 120 34.1 1 29.2 Bennefield 36 85 42.3 1 21.0 Harrison 18 83 28.5 7 15.6 Jarvis 17 53 32.0 7 15.8 Williams 15 35 42.8 0 33.6 Wheeler 9 24 37.5 4 5.8 Kennedy 7 24 29.1 0 6.9 DEFENSE TCKL AST SACKS TFL INT DEF Herndon 111 30 1.0 22 1 8 Horton 39 15 3.0 8 0 1 Mok 37 16 9.0 13 0 1 Bernier 37 12 1.0 3 2 3 Cedeno 30 8 0.0 2 2 3 Dawkins 30 5 0.0 3 4 3 Donaldson 28 11 8.0 8 0 0 Huffman 27 10 0.0 2 0 1 Bachman 19 7 0.0 4 0 0 Lawhorn 19 7 0.0 4 0 0 Mitchell 17 9 3.0 5 0 0 Fisher 17 6 0.0 1 1 3 Lambert 16 2 4.0 5 0 0 Van Brocklin 16 11 1.0 2 0 0 Newsome 15 3 1.0 2 0 2 Ellard 15 5 0.5 2 2 1 Contois 13 4 0.0 2 0 2 Rhodes 12 4 0.0 1 2 1 Alston 11 0 0.0 0 0 0 TEAM 587 176 37.0 95 16 31

Kent State placed 11th in the nation in rushing yards, and tied for 3rd in yards per carry.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
Big Six
High School Varsity

Postseason Notes, Part 2

Some other observations about the 2004 season at Kent State:
  • RB Louie Kuhlman of Central Florida, who beat us up so badly in the last game of the season, was named the Mid-American Conference MVP and the Offensive Player of the Year. I can't argue with that choice.
  • Central Michigan ILB Blake Ewbank was named MAC Defensive Player of the Year. I can actually understand how the voters chose him over our Isaac Herndon--Ewbank was a beast, finishing with 13 fewer tackles than Herndon did, but recording 6.5 sacks.
  • As expected, two Golden Flashes earned First Team All-MAC honors: junior center Gilbert Barrere and senior middle linebacker Isaac Herndon.
  • Senior fullback Courtney Kennedy made the All-MAC Second Team.
  • Kent State's team GPA was 2.86. Not great, but not terrible, either.
  • Our overall academic reputation is pretty lousy, however. We score 32 here, which is 119th among Division I teams. Only New Mexico State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Southern Mississippi, Ole Miss (the SEC hates this), Louisiana Tech, and Troy are considered weaker academically than Kent State. I think that's a disgrace. I'm going to make sure Kent State improves here, and soon.
  • The squad's top students include S William Shipman (3.86, Social Work), G Percy Wheeler (3.80, German), RB Jake Barton (3.74, Metallurgy), OLB Tim Gomez (3.74, Marketing), and G Jonathan Frost (3.74, Trigonometry).
  • The worst students are QB Moe Peebles (1.74, Trigonometry), P Richie Bates (1.74, Geography), ILB Joseph Houston (1.74, Geology), CB Oliver Schultz (1.40, Marketing), and WR Mike Hughes (1.38, Random Number Theory). I cut two walk-ons who would have made the bottom five if they were still on the team.
  • Peebles and Schultz are seniors, so I won't have to worry about their crappy academic performance dragging us down any longer. I'd cut the other lousy students, but they're all popular players, and I'd worry aobut the effect their loss would have on our team chemistry. Hughes has the ability and the desire to make better grades; hopefully he'll improve next year.
  • Mickey Helms pulled a 2.22, but he failed his Marketing class. I suspect Mickey had a bad case of senioritis.
  • Our recruiting class was ranked #77 in the nation. It was the eighth-best in the 14-team Mid-American Conference. Marshall and Bowling Green, both of whom had recruiting classes ranked in the top 30, scored the best.
Professor Laertes' grades for our season look like this:

Code:
Team Performance 69/100 Academic Performance 37/100 Recruiting Performance 95/100 Television Revenue 69/100 Alumni Donations 41/100 Attendance/Stadium 28/100 Final Grade: 53/100

Not bad. It's clear Laertes thought we overachieved in Recruiting Performance, isn't it?

Well, let's kiss 2004 good bye, and move on to 2005...

Last edited by Big Six : 02-15-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #23
Big Six
High School Varsity

The Class of 2005

In my excitement to move on to the 2005 season, I forgot to collect the information about Kent State's recruiting class of 2005. I wanted to make it a postseason feature, since National Signing Day happens in early February. So much for my added touch of realism!

Since I've already ended the 2004 season, this look at the incoming Golden Flashes recruits will reflect their status as they begin their first season as college players. Their listed weights are probably a little higher than they were as recruits. I won't be able to list any of their statistics for you. And instead of GPAs and SAT scores, I'll list their Aspiration and Intelligence ratings.

HSR: national high school ranking, if they made the top 1000 players on rivals.com's list
POS: national ranking among players at their position
STR: ranking among the Top 100 players in the state

At any rate, here are the 16 scholarship players of the Class of 2005:

Code:
PLAYER POS HT WT HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL Josh Roaf QB 6-2 190 Green, OH/Green Deon Scribner QB 5-11 197 West Lafayette, IN/William Henry Harrison Randall Gillespie RB 6-0 185 Gahanna, OH/Lincoln Blaine Kooistra RB 6-0 195 Indianapolis, IN/Arsenal Technical Shaun Guidry TE 6-5 245 Warren, OH/Howland Colin Cunningham C 6-5 278 Goshen, OH/Goshen Seth Gourdine G 6-3 279 Crown City, OH/South Gallia Tommie Wallack G 6-3 287 Washington Court, OH/Miami Trace Tyrus Boggs T 6-5 278 Youngstown, OH/East Brandon Caskey DT 6-3 297 Toledo, OH/Waite Darnell Warren ILB 6-1 233 Lewis Center, OH/Olentangy Ross Bowen OLB 6-0 211 Allison Park, PA/Hampton Wayne Merrill OLB 6-1 197 North Lima, OH/South Range Mitch Clark CB 6-0 196 Frankfort, OH/Adena Adrian Castillo S 6-1 204 Cleveland, OH/Valley Forge Pat Sawyer P 6-5 218 Saint Clairsville, OH/Saint Clairsville PLAYER HSR POS STR ASP INT MAJOR Josh Roaf 724 52 32 59 55 Journalism Deon Scribner --- 74 22 69 59 Journalism Randall Gillespie --- --- 68 16 21 Geography Blaine Kooistra 876 70 19 90 85 Jurisprudence Shaun Guidry --- 97 92 67 85 Computer Science Colin Cunningham --- 87 79 25 18 Algebra Seth Gourdine --- --- 73 24 32 Algebra Tommie Wallack 957 77 42 55 38 Geology Tyrus Boggs 927 87 40 71 68 Industrial Engineering Brandon Caskey --- 99 91 70 54 Accounting Darnell Warren --- -- 97 100 86 Jurisprudence Ross Bowen 516 24 21 70 81 Education Wayne Merrill --- --- 100 15 14 Geology Mitch Clark --- --- 74 55 49 Social Work Adrian Castillo 273 8 10 76 74 Computer Science Pat Sawyer 377 9 14 98 79 Spanish
  • Castillo, Sawyer, and Bowen look like the prize members of this year's class. All three represent significant upgrades, both in terms of talent and academic performance, over the players KSU has been attracting in the past.
  • After looking at some of the Aspiration and Intelligence scores here, I see how careful I need to be about recruiting guys with GPA's under 3.00 and SAT's in the 850 range. Gillespie, Cunningham, and Merrill all fit that description, and all three look like they'll struggle with college coursework.
  • In addition to the scholarship recruits, there's a promising freshman walkon: DE Corwin Heller. Corwin was the #89 player in Ohio last year, and he brings great academic credentials, too (84 Aspiration, 77 Intelligence, Accounting).

Last edited by Big Six : 02-15-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
Big Six
High School Varsity

2005 Kent State Schedule

Preseason 2005

Our 2005 schedule has been released, and it looks like this. Each of our opponents' preseason computer ranking is listed, too.

Code:
Week 1 MANSFIELD 121 Week 2 at Dayton 96 Week 3 at West Virginia 31 Week 4 BALL STATE 120 Week 6 at Miami of Ohio 52 Week 7 OHIO 90 Week 8 at Eastern Michigan 103 Week 10 at Central Florida 71 Week 11 MARSHALL 72 Week 12 at Buffalo 101 Week 13 AKRON 94

Home games are listed in ALL CAPS.
Mid-American Conference games are highlighted in blue.

Our preseason ranking is #80, considerably better than last year's #107.

We open the season with games against two Buckeye Conference opponents. We should win our hope opener against Mansfield, and I think we have a shot at beating Dayton, too. We try to play at least one major conference opponent a year, and this time we'll make the short trip to West Virginia to play the Mountaineers. Once again, if we complete our out-of-conference schedule at 2-1, I'll be happy.

Ball State tied for last in the MAC South last year, which is why they're ranked so low this season. We ought to be able to win that game, especially since it's in Kent. The trip to Miami will present us with a challenge, and the Redhawks will be favored to win that one.

We'll need to win the Ohio game to contend for the MAC North title, and if we can win at least one of the two road games that follow, we will probably feel like we're in the thick of things. Circle the Marshall game now; I think it could make or break our chances for a bowl game.

Weather could make a big difference when we go to Buffalo in Week 12. That game, and the rivalry game at Akron, will both be tough, and I hope we have lots to play for at that point in the season.

Unfortunately, I hit my "pessimistic prediction" right on the nose last year. I hope that's not the case again this year.

My optimistic prediction: 8-3, 6-2 in the conference, and a chance to play in the MAC Championship Game.

My pessimistic prediction: 4-7, 3-5 in the conference.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
Big Six
High School Varsity

2005 Preview: Meet the Offense

Seven starters return from last year's Kent State team, including all five members of the offensive line. Here's the 2005 KSU offensive starting lineup, along with the key offensive reserves:

Code:
POS NO NAME HT WT CL CR/PR HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL QB 19 Jack Turner 6-3 194 Sr 22/22 Idaho Falls, ID/Idaho Falls RB 29 Jake Barton 5-11 216 Sr 24/35 Ossian, IN/Norwell FB 34 Graham Kemper 6-0 233 Sr 19/19 Akron, OH/Buchtel TE 81 Shaun Guidry 6-5 245 Fr 17/45 Warren, OH/Howland FL 1 Darrin Wampus 6-1 187 Jr 18/40 Westerville, OH/South SE 3 Ronnie Brady 5-10 170 Sr 25/25 Ashville, OH/Teays Valley LT 70 Phillip Harrison 6-4 289 So 22/51 Akron, OH/Manchester LG 73 Edgar Bennefield 6-5 286 So 15/59 Martinsville, IN/Martinsville C 53 Gilbert Barrere 6-3 288 Sr 37/61 West Union, OH/West Union RG 69 Percy Wheeler 6-3 265 So 14/47 Belleville, IL/East RT 74 Tyrus Jarvis 6-3 280 Sr 22/22 Parma, OH/Parma K 5 Jerry Bouman 5-11 172 Sr 41/49 North Versailles, PA/East Allegheny QB 13 Benjamin Summers 6-1 192 Sr 16/36 Springfield, OH/Shawnee RB 23 Randall Gillespie 6-0 185 Fr 20/44 Gahanna, OH/Lincoln RB 21 Clay Lowder 5-11 191 So 13/27 Richmond, IN/Richmond TE 33 Spencer Alston 6-5 233 Jr 17/34 Nazareth, PA/Nazareth Area TE 84 Butch Farler 6-4 230 So 13/39 Downey, CA/Downey WR 86 Everett Hanson 5-9 167 Fr 25/25 Elnora, IN/North Daviess OL 61 Bryant Williams 6-7 309 Sr 17/28 Oak Hill, OH/Oak Hill OL 68 Jonathan Frost 6-5 282 So 8/27 Loveland, OH/Loveland

Turner will probably throw the ball more this year than he did in '04, and he'll have to prove he's up to the task. Barton, too, will carry a heavier load than last year's starting tailback, Mickey Helms, did; the Flashes don't have a fullback like Courtney Kennedy to share the load. Guidry's superior potential gives him the inside track at TE. Barrere leads a solid O-line; he's a first team, All-MAC choice. Oddly enough, Bennefield's current and potential ratings both DROPPED from where they were this time last year. Bouman is a fairly reliable placekicker.

Summers failed to impress in limited action last year. Gillespie should get quite a few touches this year, and Lowder returns after a productive freshman year. Alston might get some playing time at FB. Williams played well as a reserve last year.

Both freshman QBs, Josh Roaf and Deon Scribner, are redshirting, as are RB Blaine Kooistra and all the true freshman O-linemen.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-15-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #26
Big Six
High School Varsity

2005 Preview: Meet the Defense

The Kent State defense got pushed around too much last year, especially by teams with good running attacks. The unit will have a new look this year, as All-MAC middle linebacker Isaac Herndon and three members of the secondary will need to be replaced. Hopefully, several young players will give the KSU defense a new, tougher edge.

Code:
POS NO NAME HT WT CL PR/CR HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL LE 79 Hunter Mitchell 6-3 244 So 16/47 North Lewisburg, OH/Triad LT 91 Win Van Brocklin 6-5 287 Sr 28/28 Heath, OH/Heath RT 78 Ian Donaldson 6-3 265 Sr 23/34 Eben Junction, MI/Superior Central RE 98 Don Mok 6-3 236 Sr 38/38 Medina, OH/Medina LLB 50 Lorenzo Bernier 6-0 198 Sr 22/22 Cottonwood, AZ/Mingus Union MLB 49 Vince Geary 6-4 218 So 16/26 Lyndhurst, OH/Brush RLB 54 Ross Bowen 6-0 211 Fr 5/86 Allison Park, PA/Hampton CB1 22 Eugene Babin 5-8 170 Sr 29/42 Philadelphia, PA/Northeast CB2 36 Mitch Clark 6-0 196 Fr 12/55 Frankfort, OH/Adena SS 47 Frankie Contois 6-3 194 Jr 23/23 Upper Arlington, OH/Upper Arlington FS 9 Adrian Castillo 6-1 204 Fr 35/67 Cleveland, OH/Valley Forge P 17 Pat Sawyer 6-5 218 Fr 47/54 St. Clairsville, OH/St. Clairsville DE 75 Corwin Heller 6-0 238 Fr 15/43 Navarre, OH/Fairless DE 72 Darren Yaffin 6-3 237 Sr 17/17 West Lafayette, IN/William Henry Harrison DT 76 Tyrone Lawhorn 6-1 255 Sr 20/22 Adrian, MO/Adrian ILB 58 Tyrone Newsome 6-3 214 So 10/28 Woodstock, IL/Woodstock OLB 99 Tim Gomez 5-11 200 So 16/35 Chicago, IL/Kelly OLB 55 Wayne Merrill 6-1 197 Fr 6/65 North Lima, OH/South Range CB 44 Josh Dawkins 5-11 173 Sr 18/18 Millville, PA/Millville Area CB 25 Wes Ellard 5-9 165 Jr 12/12 Alpena, MI/Alpena S 35 William Shipman 6-2 193 So 12/24 Wilmington, IL/Wilmington

Mok and Donaldson demonstrated the ability to put pressure on opposing QBs; this year, they and the other D-linemen have to prove they can stop the run. Bowen might be overmatched as a true freshman, but with his potential, how can I keep him off the field? Geary must step in at Herndon's old position. Clark won the starting job at corner as a true frosh. Castillo could already be the best player on the KSU defense. Punter Sawyer can turn the field around in a hurry.

Yaffin is a pash rush specialist. Preferred walk-on Heller could contribute right away. Merrill will play a lot, and might even start in Bernier's place. Dawkins is the nickel corner. Shipman is a special teams headhunter.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-15-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #27
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 1, 2005
#121 Mansfield at #80 Kent State
TV5

Code:
Mansfield 0 0 6 0 - 6 Kent State 7 14 13 14 - 48 1Q: 02:48 KENT - Clay Lowder 1 run. 1Q: 02:48 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 08:54 KENT - Jack Turner 5 run. 2Q: 08:54 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 00:37 KENT - Devin Tippett 48 run. 2Q: 00:37 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 11:51 KENT - Jerry Bouman 30 field goal. 3Q: 09:17 MANS - Derek Brandt 2 pass from Kevin Popp. 3Q: 09:17 MANS - Donovan Clark run for conversion failed. 3Q: 06:09 KENT - Randall Gillespie 3 run. 3Q: 06:09 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 02:34 KENT - Jerry Bouman 39 field goal. 4Q: 08:00 KENT - Everett Hanson 18 pass from Jack Turner. 4Q: 08:00 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 02:52 KENT - Randall Gillespie 8 run. 4Q: 02:52 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

We couldn’t have hoped for a better start to the new season!

A nice crowd came out to Dix Stadium on a picture-perfect day and watched us play as good a game as I’ve seen us play in my short tenure here at Kent State. We got the job done in every aspect of the game—offense, defense, and special teams.

Jake Barton has been bothered with a turf toe injury, so we used him sparingly. That meant true freshman Randall Gillespie got the majority of the carries, and he responded brilliantly: 25 carries, 176 yards, two touchdowns. Another back, senior Devin Tippett, broke loose for a nice 48-yard run. It was great to see Devin perform well.

QB Jack Turner had a good, efficient game, and we didn’t turn the ball over all day.

On defense, we took on a very good running back and shut him down. Derek Brandt gained 971 yards last year, and we held him to 22 yards today. After you deduct the yardage from our sacks, Mansfield had one net yard rushing.

Speaking of sacks, senior DE Darrin Yaffin recorded 2.5 sacks today, which equaled his total for all of 2004.

The true freshmen we played on defense all did a good job. OLB Ross Bowen was in on five tackles, one for a loss. Reserve OLB Wayne Merrill had two tackles. CB Mitch Clark had three tackles, a TFL, intercepted a pass, and returned it 32 yards. S Adrian Castillo was in on five stops, and returned two kickoffs for 59 yards.

On a day like today, football is a lot of fun.

Recruiting Update
We already have a recruit visiting us: offensive guard Kenneth Calixto from North Royalton, Ohio. His dad played at Kent State in the late 70s, and Kenneth grew up rooting for the Golden Flashes. He’s a big kid—6-5, 282 pounds—and he’s a good student, reporting a 3.18 GPA and an 1180 SAT.>>

Last edited by Big Six : 02-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 2, 2005
#21 Kent State (1-0) at #117 Dayton (0-1)

Code:
Kent State 0 7 7 3 19 - 36 Dayton 7 0 7 3 16 - 33 1Q: 02:46 DAYT - Leslie Gilmore 14 pass from Kent Sutton. 1Q: 02:46 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie extra point. 2Q: 09:16 KENT - Darrin Wampus 13 pass from Jack Turner. 2Q: 09:16 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 08:10 DAYT - Corey Barker 3 pass from Kent Sutton. 3Q: 08:10 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie extra point. 3Q: 06:15 KENT - Shaun Guidry 47 pass from Jack Turner. 3Q: 06:15 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 07:13 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie 23 field goal. 4Q: 00:40 KENT - Jerry Bouman 42 field goal. OT: 13:24 DAYT - Richard Morse 9 pass from Kent Sutton. OT: 13:24 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie extra point. OT: 14:09 KENT - Darrin Wampus 18 pass from Jack Turner. OT: 14:09 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. OT: 14:45 KENT - Jake Barton 25 run. OT: 14:45 KENT - Devin Tippett run for conversion failed. OT: 13:06 DAYT - Max Quayle 8 run. OT: 13:06 DAYT - Max Quayle run for conversion failed. OT: 12:54 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie 26 field goal. OT: 13:39 KENT - Devin Tippett 12 run.

Wow, that was close!

I thought the computer was being very generous when it ranked us #21 this week. Granted, we did win big against Mansfield, but still...

I have to hand it to Dayton; they fought us hard for sixty minutes, and then some. It took a clutch field goal from Jerry Bouman to tie the score at 17 and send the game into overtime, and then our defense asserted itself.

First, Corwin Heller made a big hit that kept Max Quayle out of the end zone on a conversion attempt. Quayle is a tough runner, and he'd had a good day against us.

On Dayton's next possession, we sacked their QB on two straight plays, after they completed a pass to our 6-yard line. Don Mok and Hunter Mitchell got him the first time, and Darrin Yaffin made a fantastic play and got him again. Those plays forced Dayton to kick a field goal on fourth down. They made it, but it put us in position to win the game with a touchdown, and Devin Tippett delivered for us.

Tippett has given us some impressive backfield depth. Jake Barton still isn't completely healthy, although he got us 106 yards on 19 carries today. Randall Gillespie (8-50) and Tippett (5-30) are really helping take the load off Jake while his turf toe clears up.

Shawn Guidry asserted himself in our passing game today. That's the kind of performance we expected to get when we recruited him.

Our defense played another good game. The score is deceptive; we allowed only 17 points in regulation. Adrian Castillo (15 tackles, 2 TFL) and Ross Bowen (17 tackles, 3 TFL) were making plays all over the place. It's still early, and we haven't gotten into the conference season yet, but it looks like they're both ready for college ball.

Recruiting Update
Another player will be visiting us, and he could fill a crucial recruiting need for us. Marlon Larkin is a good placekicker from Gnadenhutten, not far from here. We've offered a scholarship to him, and we've also offered one to Dwight Ashworth, a kicker from Pennsylvania.

Kent State's record: 2-0.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #29
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 3, 2005
#29 Kent State (2-0) at #58 West Virginia (1-1)
TV5

Code:
Kent State 7 7 0 7 - 21 West Virginia 21 20 7 10 - 58 1Q: 10:07 WVIR - Levon Brewer 13 pass from Geoff Shellenberger. 1Q: 10:07 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point. 1Q: 04:50 KENT - Josh Dawkins 68 interception return. 1Q: 04:50 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 1Q: 03:07 WVIR - Levon Brewer 42 pass from Geoff Shellenberger. 1Q: 03:07 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point. 1Q: 01:54 WVIR - Phil Cooley 17 pass from Geoff Shellenberger. 1Q: 01:54 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point. 2Q: 14:26 WVIR - Levon Brewer 22 pass from Geoff Shellenberger. 2Q: 14:26 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point. 2Q: 09:49 WVIR - A.J. Johnstone 3 run. 2Q: 09:49 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point. 2Q: 04:49 WVIR - Kyle Ridge 43 pass from Geoff Shellenberger. 2Q: 04:49 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point failed. 2Q: 01:33 KENT - Vince Geary 99 interception return. 2Q: 01:33 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 04:11 WVIR - Levon Brewer 10 pass from Geoff Shellenberger. 3Q: 04:11 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point. 4Q: 11:13 WVIR - Wes Herndon 19 field goal. 4Q: 01:49 WVIR - Dusty Wentworth 2 run. 4Q: 01:49 WVIR - Wes Herndon extra point. 4Q: 01:27 KENT - Spencer Alston 68 fumble return. 4Q: 01:27 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

Now you see why you can't always trust the computer rankings so early in the season.

We were under no illusions about being better than West Virginia, and the Mountaineers showed us how much we need to improve before we're ready to stand toe to toe with the prestige teams in our sport.

We managed only six first downs, and we scored all our touchdowns on turnovers. It was exciting to see three of our guys bust loose on those long runs, though!

Josh Dawkins has returned two interceptions for touchdowns in two years. He busted one loose against Central Michigan last year.

Vince Geary's 99-yard pick six was the longest interception return I've ever seen. He actually looked pretty good doing it, too. Vince played some running back in high school, and he looked like he remembered a few things.

Spencer Alston's touchdown came after Devin Tippett had made a nice run, got stuck hard, and fumbled the ball. It popped up into Spencer's hands, and he was off to the races.

Otherwise, there's not much to say. Geoff Shellenberger, a senior who was an All-Big East quarterback last year had a great day against us. So did Levon Brewer, who we knew would be a lot to handle. Our inexperienced secondary got roughed up, but they're still holding their heads high.

We'll open our MAC season next week, at home against Ball State.

No news on the recruiting front this week.

Kent State's record: 2-1.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #30
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 4, 2005
#82 Ball State (1-1) at #73 Kent State (2-1)

Code:
Ball State 7 7 14 7 - 35 Kent State 0 7 0 7 - 14 1Q: 08:32 BALL - Johnnie Dawson 1 pass from Wally Harmon. 1Q: 08:32 BALL - Rick Lang extra point. 2Q: 06:26 KENT - Clay Lowder 6 run. 2Q: 06:26 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 00:10 BALL - Bernie Lofton 1 run. 2Q: 00:10 BALL - Rick Lang extra point. 3Q: 10:54 BALL - Frank England 60 interception return. 3Q: 10:54 BALL - Rick Lang extra point. 3Q: 05:18 BALL - Alan Evans 8 pass from Wally Harmon. 3Q: 05:18 BALL - Rick Lang extra point. 4Q: 08:03 BALL - Brent Raaen 4 pass from Wally Harmon. 4Q: 08:03 BALL - Rick Lang extra point. 4Q: 06:00 KENT - Devin Tippett 17 run. 4Q: 06:00 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

I have to hand it to Ball State and their coach, Tony Schilz. They looked at the film of our game against West Virginia and developed a game plan that attacked our secondary, especially our inexperienced cornerbacks. Wally Harmon completed 27 of 38 passes and threw three TDs, and their defense shut us down almost as thoroughly as West Virginia's did.

Randall Gillespie missed the game with a sore hamstring, and Jake Barton wasn't feeling good, either. That put more of the burden on QB Jack Turner, and he didn't play well (10-22, 63 yards, 3 INT).

I stayed up all night one night last week trying to decide if I should pull the redshirt off one of our young QBs, Josh Roaf or Deon Scribner. For now, I've decided to stick with Jack. He's a senior, he's popular with his teammates, and they consider him a leader. I'm concerned about the effect benching him might have on the team's morale.

The one thing we did well was attack their quarterback. Harmon had a great day, but he spent quite a bit of time on his butt, too. Don Mok got him four times, which earned him some Player of the Week love. All in all, we recorded eight sacks, and hurried Harmon into bad throws twice.

We have a bye week coming up, so we'll get back to work and concentrate on recruiting a little more.

Recruiting Update
Two more players have lined up official visits:
  • WR Carlton Looman
  • K Dwight Ashworth
Both Looman and Ashworth would help us fill fairly immediate recruiting needs. We're looking at several players at both positions, but Looman and Ashworth seem more interested in us than anyone else we're recruiting at WR or K.

Kent State's record: 2-2, 0-1 in MAC play.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-16-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #31
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 5, 2005

Bye week.

Recruiting Update
We received our first commitment this week. G Kenneth Calixto, who grew up a Kent State fan, will be making some boyhood dreams come true when he suits up for us next year.

WR Tito Sexton is visiting this week, too.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #32
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 6, 2005
#71 Kent State (2-2, 0-1) at #103 Miami of Ohio (0-3, 0-1)

Code:
Kent State 7 0 6 15 - 28 Miami of Ohio 7 3 7 7 - 24 1Q: 10:23 KENT - Everett Hanson 22 pass from Jack Turner. 1Q: 10:23 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 1Q: 04:55 MIAO - Rico Bohdanowicz 14 run. 1Q: 04:55 MIAO - Brent McAdams extra point. 2Q: 00:33 MIAO - Brent McAdams 38 field goal. 3Q: 10:35 MIAO - Joel Oshiro 1 pass from Claude Tetreault. 3Q: 10:35 MIAO - Brent McAdams extra point. 3Q: 07:31 KENT - Jerry Bouman 44 field goal. 3Q: 03:15 KENT - Jerry Bouman 34 field goal. 4Q: 07:50 MIAO - Donny Terrell 1 run. 4Q: 07:50 MIAO - Brent McAdams extra point. 4Q: 06:23 KENT - Everett Hanson 56 pass from Jack Turner. 4Q: 06:23 KENT - Jack Turner pass to Darrin Wampus for conversion 4Q: 01:34 KENT - Jake Barton 1 run. 4Q: 01:34 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

We put together a nice fourth quarter comeback this week, and won a tough road game against Miami. They're a lot tougher than that 0-3 record would indicate.

Recently, we've been making Everett Hanson a bigger part of our offense, and this week it really paid off. People look at him and underestimate how tough he is. In the fourth quarter today, he took a short pass over the middle and broke it open for a long touchdown.

Jack Turner didn't throw often, but he was accurate (11 for 16) and productive. I'm glad I stuck with him.

Wayne Merrill has responded well to starting at OLB. This week he tied Adrian Castillo for the team lead with 11 tackles. In fact, all the freshmen seem to be adjusting to the demands we're placing upon them.

It's always great to win a conference game, especially on the road. Let's hope we can keep these good times rolling!

Recruiting Update
No news here. No new commitments, no new visits. Things should heat up a little bit in the coming weeks.

Kent State's record: 3-2, 1-1 in MAC play.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #33
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 7, 2005
#112 Ohio (0-4, 0-2) at #68 Kent State (3-2, 1-1)

Code:
Ohio 3 3 0 7 10 - 23 Kent State 0 0 7 6 7 - 20 1Q: 09:21 OHIO - Tito Welch 38 field goal. 2Q: 02:40 OHIO - Tito Welch 29 field goal. 3Q: 01:08 KENT - Jake Barton 61 run. 3Q: 01:08 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 09:44 KENT - Jerry Bouman 24 field goal. 4Q: 04:27 OHIO - Rondell Garrett 3 run. 4Q: 04:27 OHIO - Tito Welch extra point. 4Q: 01:27 KENT - Jerry Bouman 43 field goal. OT: 14:15 OHIO - Julio Pike 21 run. OT: 14:15 OHIO - Tito Welch extra point. OT: 13:06 KENT - Ronnie Brady 1 pass from Jack Turner. OT: 13:06 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. OT: 13:04 OHIO - Tito Welch 33 field goal.

For the second straight week, a team that came into their game against us without any wins took us into overtime, and this time they beat us.

We moved the ball well all game long, but we had trouble putting it in the end zone. In fact, we couldn't even get too deep into Ohio territory before their defense stopped us, or we stopped ourselves.

Jake Barton had a career day: 24 carries, 236 yards. Gilbert Barrere and Edgar Bennefield kept opening big holes for him up the middle, and Jake did the rest. We rushed for 343 yards; when you accomplish something like that, you figure you're going to win. Not today, however.

We really needed this one, and we couldn't finish the job.

Recruiting Update
It would have been nice to get some good news here, to take away a little of the sting of our loss. Unfortunately, there's nothing to report.

Kent State's record: 3-3, 1-2 in MAC play.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 8, 2005
#74 Kent State (3-3, 1-2) at #64 Eastern Michigan (3-2, 2-0)
TV5

Code:
Kent State 0 7 7 17 - 31 Eastern Michigan 14 3 3 3 - 23 1Q: 11:08 EMIC - Sam Deericks 13 pass from Everett McCune. 1Q: 11:08 EMIC - Oliver Shepard extra point. 1Q: 02:50 EMIC - Deron Nickell 18 pass from Everett McCune. 1Q: 02:50 EMIC - Oliver Shepard extra point. 2Q: 13:15 KENT - Ronnie Brady 3 pass from Jack Turner. 2Q: 13:15 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 08:23 EMIC - Oliver Shepard 22 field goal. 3Q: 09:46 EMIC - Oliver Shepard 33 field goal. 3Q: 04:23 KENT - Shaun Guidry 16 pass from Jack Turner. 3Q: 04:23 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 10:57 EMIC - Oliver Shepard 31 field goal. 4Q: 07:28 KENT - Devin Tippett 2 run. 4Q: 07:28 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 01:52 KENT - Jake Barton 2 run. 4Q: 01:52 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 00:32 KENT - Jerry Bouman 24 field goal.

One thing I can say about this year: things have seldom ever been boring!

Our guys felt like they had to win this week. It's still too early in the season to talk about "must win" games, but this one came close. We needed it, if for no other reason than to get our heads back on straight after the disappointing loss to Ohio.

Once again, Jake Barton was the star of the game for us. He's shown a lot of toughness this year; he's been bothered by a turf toe all year long, and he's playing through the discomfort. The other players are impressed by his dedication. He gained 127 yards on 23 carries, scored the game-winning touchdown, and made a key catch on fourth-and-six to keep a drive going that culminated in Devin Tippett's touchdown run.

Ronnie Brady, another senior, caught a touchdown pass today, and he led the team with four receptions. He wrestled the ball away from a defender in the end zone today, a play that got our guys fired up--we'd been down 14-0, and EMU seemed to have all the momentum going their way.

We learned today that MLB Vince Geary will be out for the rest of the year with repetitive concussion syndrome. Vince had big shoes to fill, taking over the position that Isaac Herndon played so well for us last year. Tyrone Newsome, an athletic sophomore, started in Vince's place today and made eight tackles. Tyrone also gives the ability to bring even more heat when we blitz.

The weather today was beautiful, and we gave a regional TV audience a good show. And, we demonstrated once again how much more fun it is to win a game late in the fourth quarter than it is to lose one.

Recruiting Update
I thought our recruiting season would intensify soon, and this week, it did. Fifteen more players told us they were making official visits to Kent State!

The 15 prospective Golden Flashes run the gamut. Among them are Bennie Horton, the top offensive tackle in Ohio, and Will Clinton, a tight end from Pennsylvania who's the #3 player at his position in the nation. Either one of them would be a big prize for us. We also have players on our list that we think are better than the "experts" do, guys we believe will fill a role for us and who aren't being recruited heavily by anyone else...not yet, at least.

Last year, I learned to be patient, and wait a little longer for the guys I really wanted. Hopefully that lesson will pay off this time around.

Kent State's record: 4-3, 2-2 in MAC play.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #35
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 9, 2005

Bye week.

Recruiting Update
Three more players commit to us this week, and we're pretty excited about them:
  • TE Rusty Flynn, Proctorville, OH
  • WR Albert Guenther, Concord, NC
  • K Dwight Ashworth, Harrisburg, PA
Flynn is the #21 TE in this year's recruiting class. He comes from a program that prepares its players especially well for college football, so he could get onto the field pretty quickly. He can also play DE, which makes him that much more attractive.

Guenther's stats are crazy good; he caught 79 passes for almost 1900! yards and 14 TDs. I'm not sure he's as good as our assistants say he is, and he's raw, but we decided to roll the dice with him We don't usually take many players from down South, but Albert caught our eye early on.

Signing a kicker was a must, since Jerry Bouman is a senior, and we missed out on Patrick John Sy last year (we'll see him when we play Akron). Ashworth has a powerful leg, and we think he'll be a very good player.

All three are extremely good students, too. Flynn has a 3.95 GPA, and all three scored at least 1230 on their SAT.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #36
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 10, 2005
#61 Kent State (4-3, 2-2) at #37 Central Florida (6-1, 4-0)

Code:
Kent State 7 3 14 3 - 27 Central Florida 0 7 7 7 - 21 1Q: 08:32 KENT - Jake Barton 5 run. 1Q: 08:32 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 14:04 CFLA - Vinny Harvey 13 run. 2Q: 14:04 CFLA - Lance Kirk extra point. 2Q: 09:01 KENT - Jerry Bouman 33 field goal. 3Q: 11:42 KENT - Randall Gillespie 3 run. 3Q: 11:42 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 06:02 CFLA - Thurman Schneider 2 run. 3Q: 06:02 CFLA - Lance Kirk extra point. 3Q: 01:22 KENT - Clay Lowder 1 run. 3Q: 01:22 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 4Q: 11:19 CFLA - Xavier Price 4 pass from Thurman Schneider. 4Q: 11:19 CFLA - Lance Kirk extra point. 4Q: 02:25 KENT - Jerry Bouman 30 field goal.

We worked hard during the bye week, and it paid off in the form of another huge road win. Our offensive line executed almost flawlessly and, as a result, we were able to put points on the board against a defense that had allowed 33 points in its last six games combined.

C Gilbert Barrere dominated the middle of the line--we credited him with 11 key run blocks in 22 opportunities. We rushed for 219 yards, as Jake Barton, Randall Gillespie, and Devin Tippett all had good days. Tippett bounced one outside for 49 yards to set up Clay Lowder's one-yard plunge late in the third quarter.

We did a decent job of containing Vinny Harvey, CFU's talented running back, and we kept the pressure on their quarterback all day long.

Now we're on a roll, with two big road wins in a row. We come back home next week to play a very good Marshall team.

Recruiting Update
Three more players announced their intention to play their college ball at Kent State, including two tough O-linemen:
  • G Conrad Piper, Attica, OH
  • T Roosevelt Godfrey, Columbus, OH
  • DE Quinn Cristal, Chicago, IL
Piper isn't very big--254 pounds--but he demonstrates excellent technique, particularly in pass protection. He's the #2 OG in Ohio this year, and I'm even more impressed with him than our assistants are.

Godfrey, on the other hand, is huge, weighing in at nearly 300 pounds. Not surprisingly, he's a devastating run blocker who ought to fit in well with our system. We think he's underrated--he's a product of the outstanding program at Walnut Ridge High School.

Cristal fills a big recruiting need for us, too. He's a smallish DE who excels at rushing the passer off the edge, the same kind of player we have now in Don Mok. In a perfect world, he'd be bigger, but he's 6'4" and might put on weight in college. We'll redshirt him if we can, but we might need him right away.

Again, all three signees are solid academically, too.

Kent State's record: 5-3, 3-2 in MAC play.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #37
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 11, 2005
#44 Marshall (6-2, 4-1) at #55 Kent State (5-3, 3-2)

Code:
Marshall 7 20 7 21 - 55 Kent State 0 0 7 0 - 7 1Q: 09:12 MRSH - Kenny Andreou 9 run. 1Q: 09:12 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 2Q: 10:07 MRSH - Kenny Andreou 18 run. 2Q: 10:07 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 2Q: 07:07 MRSH - Don Shapiro 35 field goal. 2Q: 05:19 MRSH - Phil Rodgers 67 interception return. 2Q: 05:19 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 2Q: 00:19 MRSH - Don Shapiro 26 field goal. 3Q: 08:39 KENT - Everett Hanson 2 pass from Jack Turner. 3Q: 08:39 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 04:31 MRSH - Lenny Baggett 12 run. 3Q: 04:31 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 4Q: 14:54 MRSH - Drew Blake 33 pass from Donnell Southrey. 4Q: 14:54 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 4Q: 07:40 MRSH - Lenny Baggett 5 run. 4Q: 07:40 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point. 4Q: 03:43 MRSH - Sammy Huffman 6 pass from Donnell Southrey. 4Q: 03:43 MRSH - Don Shapiro extra point.

We got whooped. Plain and simple, we got whooped.

Marshall ran and passed against our defense virtually at will. They forced four turnovers and capitalized on each one. We fell behind quickly, which forced us out of our preferred offensive mindset; we had to throw more than we like to, and we weren't able to do so effectively. Jack Turner went only 14-33, and threw three picks.

On the brighter side, we got a good game out of WR Darrin Wampus, whose season had been a disappointment so far. He's failed to develop as much as we'd like, and he lost his starting job to Everett Hanson. Darrin caught six passes for 97 yards.

The Tyrones were both very active on defense. MLB Tyrone Newsome is adjusting to his new role as a starter as well as we hoped he would do; he made nine tackles and intercepted a pass. DT Tyrone Lawhorn played a lot because Ian Donaldson is banged up a little bit, and Lawhorn was in on ten tackles.

We had been in sole possession of third place in the MAC North, but this loss drops us into a fourth-place tie. We really need to bounce back against winless Buffalo next week.

Recruiting Update
The eighth, ninth, and tenth members of our recruiting class signed this week:
  • WR Carlton Looman, Dayton, OH
  • DT Ethan Drake, Erie, PA
  • CB Bruce Horton, Neenah, WI
We weren't surprised that Looman committed to us, only that he waited this long to do so. We were the only school he visited, and he seemed pretty excited about coming to Kent State all along. He's a tough kid who isn't afraid to come across the middle, but he's very raw.

Despite being a little on the small side for a DT, Drake is particularly strong at the point of attack. Like Looman, he's going to need a redshirt year to prepare himself for the rigors of college football, because his high school preparation wasn't terribly intense. Ethan is also ranked first in his high school class academically, with a 3.99 GPA. He scored 1490 on his SAT.

Horton's stats leap off the page at you--especially his 12 interceptions--but, like the other two guys who committed this week, he has a lot of developing to do. He could make an impact as a return man, too.

Kent State's record: 5-4, 3-3 in MAC play.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-17-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #38
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 12, 2005
#58 Kent State (5-4, 3-3) at #125 Buffalo (0-9, 0-6)

Code:
Kent State 7 0 7 0 - 14 Buffalo 10 7 3 3 - 23 1Q: 06:32 BUFF - Ike Harrison 35 field goal. 1Q: 04:31 BUFF - Dexter Williams 1 pass from Dave Dozier. 1Q: 04:31 BUFF - Ike Harrison extra point. 1Q: 00:37 KENT - Jake Barton 23 run. 1Q: 00:37 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 02:51 BUFF - Jay Ottis 34 run. 2Q: 02:51 BUFF - Ike Harrison extra point. 3Q: 08:32 KENT - Clay Lowder 1 run. 3Q: 08:32 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 02:31 BUFF - Ike Harrison 28 field goal. 4Q: 04:43 BUFF - Ike Harrison 51 field goal.

I thought weather might make a difference in this game, but it wasn't a factor. It was 44 degrees and sunny at game time. Buffalo wasn't expected to be a very good team this year and, if anything, they weren't even as good as people thought they'd be. Until today, that is.

Buffalo did to us what we hoped we'd do to them: control the ball, gain yards on the ground, and play consistent defense. They scored first, controlled the line of scrimmage, and won their first game of the season.

Jake Barton had a good game (17 carries, 142 yards, TD), but he was the only player who really stood out for us.

To make matters worse, we lost our good freshman OLB, Wayne Merrill, to an elbow injury. He won't play in our season finale against Akron.

If we beat the Zips, we'll finish the season with a winning record. We'll also end up at .500 in conference play. Those goals are worth playing for, and it will be Senior Day. We'll want to send the seniors out in style.

Still, if you'd told me we'd beat both Central Florida and Miami on the road, I'd have felt very good about our chances for a bowl game.

Recruiting Update
Our recruiting class now numbers 12, as two more players signed with us this week:
  • WR Jackie Bosworth, Belvidere, IL
  • CB Robbie Nobles, Roy, UT
I know what you're thinking. Why would a team that depends on its passing game as little as Kent State does bring in three wideouts in a single recruiting class? There are actually several reasons why. One reason why we haven't thrown much is the fact that our receivers haven't been all that good. Bosworth impresses us with his ability to get open, and he's very good at making people miss and gaining yardage after the catch. I think Jackie will be a very good player for us.

We recruited several players from out West this year. The most intriguing prospect was a QB from California named Walter Davidson who ended up visiting us, but signed with UCLA. We also liked what we saw of Nobles, offered him a scholarship, and now he's a Golden Flash. Robbie is ranked #95 among players at his position nationwide; he has good size (6'0"), and he recorded 4.5 sacks and 14 interceptions as a senior. He's also a dangerous punt returner.

Unfortunately, we lost out on several players we really hoped to land. Will Clinton wanted to get as far away from Pennsylvania as possible, so he picked Boise State. Bennie Horton, the offensive tackle we took a shot at, surprised nobody when he picked Ohio State. We lost a very good ILB prospect, Pete Kulaga, to Miami of Ohio, so we'll have to play against him now. That hurts twice as much.

With our four remaining scholarships, we hope to bring in another linebacker, a defensive end or tackle, and a fullback. Steve Doyle, the #16 fullback in his class, has narrowed his choices down to Kent State and Texas Tech, and we're currently the leader for the services of Kris Kawaguchi, the #44 fullback.

Xavier Heetderks, the #2 ILB in Ohio, will choose between us and Cleveland. We're also in the running for Darrin Dunlap, another in-state LB.

Kent State's record: 5-5, 3-4 in MAC play.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #39
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 13, 2005
#93 Akron (3-6, 3-4) at #68 Kent State (5-5, 3-4)

Code:
Akron 0 0 3 0 - 3 Kent State 14 21 0 7 - 42 1Q: 06:40 KENT - Jake Barton 1 run. 1Q: 06:40 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 1Q: 01:41 KENT - Everett Hanson 10 pass from Jack Turner. 1Q: 01:41 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 11:04 KENT - Randall Gillespie 1 run. 2Q: 11:04 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 07:19 KENT - Jake Barton 10 run. 2Q: 07:19 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 2Q: 05:16 KENT - Everett Hanson 8 pass from Jack Turner. 2Q: 05:16 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point. 3Q: 11:29 AKRN - Toby Bullard 28 field goal. 4Q: 04:54 KENT - Randall Gillespie 10 pass from Benjamin Summers. 4Q: 04:54 KENT - Jerry Bouman extra point.

Our players were admittedly frustrated and ashamed after their losses to Marshall and Buffalo ended their chances for a breakthrough season. They took those emotions out on Akron this week and earned a victory that gave them a winning record for the season.

We controlled the ball for almost 36 minutes and ran 80 plays from scrimmage: 50 runs, 30 passes. We gave three backs lots of touches: Jake Barton (18-91), Randall Gillespie (16-64) and Devin Tippett (10-72). Jake and Devin are seniors, so we wanted to make sure our fans got a good chance to see them one last time. It would have been great to see Jake get 1000 yards, but he fell 12 short. That turf toe he dealt with all season long was the difference there.

Senior C Gilbert Barrere racked up seven key run blocks, giving him a conference-best 53 for the season. I can't imagine him not repeating as the first team All-MAC center.

Both senior quarterbacks, Jack Turner (8-10-141, 2 TD) and Benjamin Summers (10-20-175, TD) saw lots of action. Together, they threw for 316 yards.

Everett Hanson isn't a senior, but he caught 10 passes for 168 yards and two scores.

DE Don Mok and DT Win Van Brocklin both got sacks in their final games at KSU.

Today's game was a satisfying ending to a rollercoaster season. We still have a few recruiting tasks to complete, but otherwise, it's time to close the book on 2005.

Recruiting Update
Three players committed to play at Kent State next year:
  • DE Leon McWilliams, Perry, OH
  • DT Harvey Van Pelt, Youngstown, OH
  • ILB Darrin Dunlap, Cleveland, OH
McWilliams and Van Pelt give us some much-needed reinforcement on our D-line. Leon is the #5 DE in Ohio, and he's a big, mean pass rusher. Harvey is a run stopper who has been especially well-coached in high school. He's also an aspiring CPA with a 1580 SAT score.

Dunlap is smallish for an ILB (204 pounds) but he's surprisingly tough against the run, and he's demonstrated some ability to rush the QB, too. He pounced on his chance to play for KSU, unlike Xavier Heetderks, who's still making up his mind. Another ILB, Thurman Talley, has also entered the picture.

Now we have one scholarship left. FB Kris Kawaguchi opened up his recruiting a little more, and is now making all five of his official visits. He added big-name schools Louisville, West Virginia, and Oklahoma to his list. FB Steve Doyle is still weighing offers from Kent State and Texas Tech.

I suppose the best-case scenario would be for either Kawaguchi or Doyle to sign with us and claim that last schollie. Still, I'd be happy to bring either Heetderks or Talley on board. They're both very good football players, and if I don't bring in a fullback, I can possibly move Spencer Alston there permanently. Or, perhaps a good walk-on can help us out there.

Kent State's record: 6-5, 4-4 in MAC play.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #40
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 14, 2005

We completed our regular season last week. Here are the final regular season MAC standings:

Code:
STANDINGS Overall Mid-American Conference MAC NORTH W L T PCT PF PA W L T PCT PF PA RNK Central Florida 9 2 0 .818 325 140 7 1 0 .875 246 99 31 Marshall 7 4 0 .636 362 247 5 3 0 .625 260 168 51 Kent State 6 5 0 .545 288 304 4 4 0 .500 183 207 63 Miami of Ohio 5 6 0 .454 244 242 4 4 0 .500 196 174 70 Ohio 4 7 0 .363 182 369 4 4 0 .500 162 206 83 Akron 4 7 0 .363 167 300 3 5 0 .375 120 219 85 Buffalo 1 10 0 .090 126 408 1 7 0 .125 102 238 120 MAC SOUTH Western Michigan 6 5 0 .545 270 278 6 2 0 .750 260 153 62 Ball State 8 3 0 .727 266 280 6 2 0 .750 208 170 43 Northern Illinois 5 6 0 .454 304 349 5 3 0 .625 250 225 67 Bowling Green 7 4 0 .636 345 198 5 3 0 .625 242 136 41 Toledo 5 6 0 .454 298 339 3 5 0 .375 231 243 71 Eastern Michigan 4 7 0 .363 229 354 3 5 0 .375 203 235 93 Central Michigan 1 10 0 .090 195 388 0 8 0 .000 123 313 118

Central Florida and Western Michigan will play for the Mid-American Conference championship. UCF will almost certainly receive a bowl bid, even if they lose to WMU. I also think Ball State will play in a bowl, and possibly Bowling Green as well.

Recruiting Update
The early bird gets the worm, and the early decision-maker gets the scholarship.

While Xavier Heetderks, Steve Doyle, and Kris Kawaguchi hemmed and hawed, ILB Thurman Talley stepped in and claimed our final scholarship. Thurman is a big, tough run plugger from Hamtramck, Michigan, and he was ranked #9 among ILBs in his state.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-17-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #41
Big Six
High School Varsity

Postseason Update, Part 1
  • Central Florida trounced Western Michigan in the MAC title game, 41-6.
  • UCF then traveled out to Fresno for the Raisin Bowl, where they faced Colorado. The Buffaloes won a thriller, 20-19.
  • Central Florida was the only MAC team to earn a bowl bid.
  • Florida State defeated Texas, 19-13, to win the national championship.
  • UCLA's dynamic wide receiver, Conrad Knauls, won the 2005 Heisman Trophy. Knauls, a junior, defeated last year's winner, Texas Tech QB Sammie Knight, to win the coveted award. Knauls caught 88 passes for 1412 yards and 18 TD for the #3 ranked Bruins, who finished the season 11-1. Conrad's ratings? A dazzling 88/96.
Here are Kent State's 2005 statistics. Graduating senors are highlighted in blue.

Code:
PASSING ATT COM PCT YDS TD INT Turner 230 123 53.4 1584 12 12 Summers 24 10 41.6 175 1 1 TEAM 254 133 52.3 1759 13 13 RUSHING ATT YDS AVG TD Barton 158 988 6.3 8 Gillespie 117 570 4.9 4 Tippett 41 368 9.0 4 Lowder 22 48 2.2 4 Turner 47 -123 -2.6 1 TEAM 406 1961 4.8 21 RECEIVING NO YDS AVG TD Wampus 34 432 12.7 2 Hanson 29 506 17.4 6 Brady 17 266 15.6 2 Barton 11 64 5.8 0 Alston 10 101 10.1 0 Guidry 9 121 13.4 2 Osborne 9 83 13.4 0 Gillespie 8 108 13.5 1 TEAM 133 1759 13.2 13 KICKING FG FGA LNG XP XPA PTS Bouman 10 20 44 34 34 64 BLOCKING KRB KRO BL% SkA 0FF% Barrere 53 119 44.5 3 34.3 Bennefield 27 81 33.3 4 23.3 Jarvis 18 57 31.5 7 19.8 Harrison 15 48 31.2 4 13.6 Wheeler 5 16 31.2 4 4.6 Williams 5 13 38.4 1 15.2 DEFENSE TCK AST SACK TFL INT DEF Castillo 84 36 0.0 9 1 8 Bowen 66 29 1.0 11 0 3 Dawkins 42 5 0.0 1 1 1 Merrill 42 11 1.0 5 1 6 Newsome 38 9 3.0 5 1 2 Mok 31 13 11.5 13 0 0 Geary 31 15 2.0 5 1 1 Contois 31 4 0.0 0 1 4 Babin 30 9 0.0 4 0 2 Clark 27 10 0.0 4 3 0 Van Brocklin 25 6 3.5 7 0 0 Lawhorn 25 10 2.0 5 0 0 Mitchell 23 9 3.0 6 0 0 Donaldson 21 4 2.5 5 0 0 Bernier 21 4 0.0 2 3 2 Yaffin 15 4 7.5 9 0 0 Heller 13 5 1.5 2 0 0 Rhodes 12 5 0.0 1 0 0 TEAM 657 202 40.0 98 13 31 PUNTING NO YDS AVG LNG In40 Sawyer 47 1678 35.7 52 11

Last edited by Big Six : 02-18-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #42
Big Six
High School Varsity

Postseason 2005, Part 2

Some further observations about the 2005 season at Kent State:
  • Sophomore QB Donnell Southrey of Marshall was the Mid-American Conference MVP and its Offensive Player of the Year. Southrey threw for 2724 yards and 19 touchdowns. I'm a little surprised by this choice, as it appeared to me that a couple of players had better statistics and, while Marshall was a good team, they weren't a great one.
  • Western Michigan DE Rob Wheeler was named MAC Defensive Player of the Year. Wheeler, a sophomore, was a fine choice. Already a two-time first team All-MAC performer, Wheeler recorded 19 sacks this season.
  • G Clay Walton and T Jeff Logan, both of Central Florida, were the only MAC players to earn All-American recognition, and both made the first team.
  • S Adrian Castillo became the first Kent State player to achieve national honors, when he earned a spot on the national Freshman Team. Strangely enough, Adrian didn't earn a spot on either the All-MAC First or Second Teams.
  • Center Gilbert Barrere made the All-MAC First Team for the second straight season. Barrere, a senior, was the only Kent State player to make the first or second All-MAC squads.
  • Two KSU seniors--RB Jake Barton (3.87, Metallurgy) and T Tyrus Jarvis (2.89, Electrical Engineering)-- made the MAC Academic Team. Barton earned a 4.0 this year.
  • Kent State's team GPA was 2.83, which is 0.06 lower than last year.
  • The program's academic reputation ranking went up one, to 118th. Still not where we want it to be, but it's an improvement.
  • The team's highest GPA was a perfect 4.00, achieved by redshirt freshman LB Darnell Warren. Another redshirt frosh, RB Blaine Kooistra, pulled a 3.88, and sophomores G Percy Wheeler and S William Shipman earned a 3.83.
  • Twelve Kent State players currently carry GPAs of 3.50 or better. Five of them are players Coach O'Farrell recruited last year.
  • Unfortunately, seven Golden Flashes struggle with sub-2.00 GPAs. Three of them--RB Randall Gillespie, G Tommie Wallack, and QB Josh Roaf--are Coach O'Farrell's recruits. The worst of all, walkon freshman CB Phil Witt, produced an abysmal 1.06, with no grade higher than a D+. Again, I'd cut Phil from the team if he wasn't such a popular player.
  • There's no excuse for Roaf's poor academic performance, because he's above average in both Intelligence and Aspiration. Wallack, too, should do better. On the other hand, Gillespie is a student athlete" in only the most general sense .
  • Until KSU improves its academic reputation, I think I'll be stuck with some dumb and/or unmotivated walkons.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-18-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #43
Big Six
High School Varsity

Recruiting 2005

According to TCY Today, this year's Kent State recruits are not nearly as impressive as last year's were.

The 2005 KSU recruits rank 112th in the country, and last in the 14-team Mid-American Conference. I would like to think the future Golden Flashes will prove they're better than this, where it counts--on the field.

Four of Kent State's recruits ranked among the nation's top 1000 players: TE Rusty Flynn (#485), WR Albert Guenther (#578), G Conrad Piper (#631), and
CB Bruce Horton (#982). No member of the Class of 2006 is as highly recruited as Adrian Castillo,

Here are the 16 recruits who will make their way to the Kent State campus next fall.

Code:
PLAYER POS HT WT HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL Rusty Flynn TE 6-2 222 Proctorville, OH/Fairland Jackie Bosworth WR 5-9 170 Belvidere, IL/Belvidere Carlton Looman WR 6-0 163 Dayton, OH/Northridge Albert Guenther WR 6-0 169 Concord, NC/Concord Kenneth Calixto G 6-5 282 North Royalton, OH/North Royalton Conrad Piper G 6-2 254 Attica, OH/Seneca East Roosevelt Godfrey T 6-6 294 Columbus, OH/Walnut Ridge Dwight Ashworth K 5-7 149 Harrisburg, PA/Central Dauphin East Quinn Cristal DE 6-4 231 Chicago, IL/Von Steuben Metro Science Leon McWilliams DE 6-5 246 Perry, OH/Perry Ethan Drake DT 6-1 244 Erie, PA/Strong Vincent Harvey Van Pelt DT 6-3 252 Youngstown, OH/Chaney Darrin Dunlap ILB 5-10 204 Cleveland, OH/East Technical Thurman Talley ILB 6-3 223 Hamtramck, MI/Hamtramck Bruce Horton CB 5-10 152 Neenah, IL/Neenah Robbie Nobles CB 6-0 169 Roy, UT/Roy PLAYER POS ST SP SCT GPA SAT MAJOR Rusty Flynn 21 22 2 63+ 3.35 1230 Physics Jackie Bosworth -- 60 3 52+ 2.87 1110 Social Work Carlton Looman -- 82 6 45+ 2.60 1190 Marketing Albert Guenther 37 17 3 89-- 3.35 1340 Social Work Kenneth Calixto -- 78 8 37+ 3.18 1120 Psychology Conrad Piper 54 26 2 68+ 3.69 1250 Jurisprudence Roosevelt Godfrey -- 77 6 35+ 3.33 1180 Speech Dwight Ashworth 74 87 3 50+ 3.38 1230 Music Quinn Cristal -- 55 9 42+ 3.41 1310 French Leon McWilliams -- 96 9 43+ 2.64 1010 Algebra Ethan Drake 92 68 3 43+ 3.99 1490 Architecture Harvey Van Pelt -- -- 10 30+ 3.75 1580 Accounting Darrin Dunlap -- 80 7 39- 3.15 1280 Art Thurman Talley -- 57 7 48- 3.28 1030 Jurisprudence Bruce Horton 80 15 2 63- 3.59 1450 Chemistry Robbie Nobles 95 12 1 52+ 3.25 1180 Physics

POS = player's rank among the top 100 players at his position nationwide
ST = player's rank among the top 100 recruits in his state
SP = player's rank among the top 10 players at his position in his state

I think every player on the list has a chance to make an impact on the Kent State program before he graduates. The class, as a whole, is stronger academically than last year's was, too.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #44
Big Six
High School Varsity

Here's how Professor Laertes graded our program this year:

Code:
Team Performance 70/100 Academic Performance 37/100 Recruiting Performance 76/100 Television Revenue 70/100 Alumni Donations 77/100 Attendance/Stadium 35/100 Final Grade 59/100

Our overall grade is up six points from last year. We improved in most areas, but our recruiting score went down, and our academic grade was the same as it was in 2004.

On to 2006 we go...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #45
Big Six
High School Varsity

Preseason 2006

Here is our 2006 schedule, along with each of our opponents' preseason computer ranking:

Code:
Week 1 TROY 84 Week 3 DAYTON 81 Week 5 at Northern Illinois 62 Week 6 BUFFALO 121 Week 7 at Ohio 77 Week 8 WESTERN MICHIGAN 86 Week 9 at Marshall 60 Week 10 at Mansfield 111 Week 11 MIAMI OF OHIO 61 Week 12 at Akron 83 Week 13 CENTRAL FLORIDA 54

Home games are listed in ALL CAPS.
Mid-American Conference games are highlighted in blue.

Our preseason ranking is the best it's been in my three years at KSU: 68.

We open the season with two non-conference home games, both of which we have a very good chance of winning. After each of these games, we have a bye week. We then go on the road to play a good Northern Illinois team, before we return home to play Buffalo. I don't think I need to tell you how eager we'll be to avenge last year's upset loss to the Bulls.

The game at Ohio will be another tough test on the road: the kind of game a conference champion ought to win. We host last year's MAC South champion, Western Michigan, and they'll put up a hard fight. Then it's off to Marshall. Hopefully we can pay them back for the beating they laid on us at home in 2005.

We travel to Mansfield during Week 10 for a non-conference game before we finish our MAC schedule with a trip to Akron and a home game with Central Florida.

Since there's no team like West Virginia or Iowa on this year's schedule, there's no game I look at and think "we're going to lose this one." Since most of the teams we play seem to be very comparable to us, our record is almost impossible for me to predict. We might go 10-1; we might go 1-10.

My somewhat optimistic prediction: 7-4.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #46
Big Six
High School Varsity

2006 Preview: Meet the Offense

With new starters at some of the skill positions and a big, strong O-line that features a blend of youth and experience, the Kent State offense could be very good, very weak, or somewhere in between.

Here are the key offensive players for the 2006 Golden Flashes:

Code:
POS NO PLAYER HT WT CL CR/PR HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL QB 10 Josh Roaf 6-2 199 Fr 23/61 Green, OH/Green RB 25 Blaine Kooistra 6-0 203 Fr 42/64 Indianapolis, IN/Arsenal Technical FB 33 Spencer Alston 6-5 241 Sr 23/34 Nazareth, PA/Nazareth Area TE 81 Shaun Guidry 6-5 257 So 32/36 Warren, OH/Howland FL 87 Albert Guenther 6-0 184 Fr 25/62 Concord, NC/Concord SE 1 Darrin Wampus 6-1 193 Sr 21/39 Westerville, OH/South LT 70 Phillip Harrison 6-4 301 Jr 35/51 Akron, OH/Manchester LG 66 Seth Gourdine 6-3 290 Fr 34/60 Crown City, OH/South Gallia C 57 Colin Cunningham 6-5 290 Fr 25/59 Goshen, OH/Goshen RG 73 Edgar Bennefield 6-5 297 Jr 30/59 Martinsville, IN/Martinsville RT 60 Tyrus Boggs 6-5 289 Fr 28/66 Youngstown, OH/East K 12 Leonard Shultz 5-11 178 Jr 12/50 Toledo, OH/Libbey QB 15 Deon Scribner 5-11 204 Fr 12/60 West Lafayette, IN/Wm. Henry Harrison RB 23 Randall Gillespie 6-0 193 So 24/44 Gahanna, OH/Lincoln RB 38 Devin Tippett 5-11 209 Sr 18/18 Skokie, IL/Niles West TE 84 Butch Farler 6-4 239 Jr 14/39 Downey, CA/Downey WR 86 Everett Hanson 5-9 171 So 27/27 Elnora, IN/North Daviess WR 89 Ethan Osborne 6-1 186 Jr 23/24 Russell, PA/Eisenhower OL 69 Percy Wheeler 6-3 276 Jr 20/47 Belleville, IL/East OL 64 Cornell Corbett 6-5 287 Sr 13/31 Fond du Lac, WI/Theisen

Roaf has great potential, but will he be ready to step right in as a redshirt freshman? Scribner is not quite as advanced, but has lots of talent.

Kooistra beat out Gillespie for the starting job at RB, but both will get lots of carries. So will Tippett, who was very productive when called upon last year.

True freshman Guenther joins an improving receiving corps that includes last year's leading pass catcher, Wampus. Guidry should be a formidable weapon, too.

Three freshman linemen join juniors Harrison and Bennefield. Wheeler developed slowly, and has lost his job to Gourdine, who looks like he could be really good. Cunningham must replace two-time All-MAC center Gilbert Barrere.

Schulz won the placekicking job over highly recruited Dwight Ashworth, who will redshirt.

We might throw a little more than we have in the past, in order to take advantage of Roaf's talent.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-21-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #47
Big Six
High School Varsity

2006 Season Preview: Meet the Defense

This year's Kent State defense features a number of promising youngsters with the potential to become impact players. One or two of them are probably ready to make that kind of statement already. Like their offensive counterparts, the KSU defense could have a terrific year if the young players are ready to step up. If they aren't there yet, it could be a long, hard season.

Here are the starters and key reserves for the 2006 KSU defense:

Code:
POS NO PLAYER HT WT CL CR/PR HOME TOWN/HIGH SCHOOL LE 75 Corwin Heller 6-0 246 So 14/43 Navarre, OH/Fairless LT 97 Brandon Caskey 6-3 308 Fr 17/53 Toledo, OH/Waite RT 91 Ethan Drake 6-1 247 Fr 12/43 Erie, PA/Strong Vincent RE 79 Hunter Mitchell 6-3 251 Jr 20/47 North Lewisburg, OH/Triad LLB 55 Wayne Merrill 6-1 207 So 21/65 North Lima, OH/South Range MLB 58 Tyrone Newsome 6-3 222 Jr 17/28 Woodstock, IL/Woodstock RLB 54 Ross Bowen 6-0 221 So 24/86 Allison Park, PA/Hampton CB1 22 Eugene Babin 5-8 176 Sr 30/41 Philadelphia, PA/Northeast CB2 36 Mitch Clark 6-0 204 So 25/55 Frankfort, OH/Adena SS 47 Frankie Contois 6-3 199 Sr 26/26 Upper Arlington, OH/Upper Arlington FS 9 Adrian Castillo 6-1 209 So 56/68 Cleveland, OH/Valley Forge P 17 Pat Sawyer 6-5 222 So 66/66 Saint Clairsville, OH/Saint Clairsville DE 77 Quinn Cristal 6-4 244 Fr 12/51 Chicago, IL/Von Steuben Metro Science DE 92 Leon McWilliams 6-5 255 Fr 14/27 Perry, OH/Perry DT 51 Deron Jamison 6-3 267 Jr 9/28 Rockford, IL/Auburn LB 99 Tim Gomez 5-11 207 Jr 17/35 Chicago, IL/Kelly LB 34 Darnell Warren 6-1 242 Fr 17/19 Lewis Center, OH/Olentangy LB 49 Vince Geary 6-4 226 Jr 22/26 Lyndhurst, OH/Brush CB 31 Robbie Nobles 6-0 181 Fr 12/36 Roy, UT/Roy S 26 Jared Rhodes 6-1 186 Jr 16/32 Findlay, OH/Findlay S 35 William Shipman 6-2 200 Jr 17/25 Wilmington, IL/Wilmington

Three new starters must step in on the defensive line. Heller played a lot as a freshman, and played fairly well. Caskey is intriguing; he's a huge presence who could be an elite run stopper and a fearsome pass rusher. Mitchell has shown the ability to pressure the QB, too. True freshman Drake will have to grow up quickly, because there's very little D-line depth. Cristal might one day be a star.

Merrill and Bowen both held their own as true freshmen last year, and both have improved significantly since this time last year. If they take similar strides this year, they'll be in the running for post-season honors. Geary would start at MLB, but he's still recovering from his concussion-related issues. Newsome will fill the breach until he's better.

Castillo looks like he's every bit as good as advertised: a heat-seeking missile who disrupts opposing offenses on a regular basis. Contois is a three-year starter, and corners Clark and Babin are fairly solid. Rhodes and Shipman don't hurt the team when they play, and true frosh Nobles has talent.

Sawyer is a weapon that can help the Golden Flashes win field position battles all day long.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #48
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 1, 2006
#84 Troy at #68 Kent State

Code:
Troy 0 0 7 0 - 7 Kent State 10 0 0 21 - 31 1Q: 11:02 KENT - Leonard Shultz 32 field goal. 1Q: 04:09 KENT - Blaine Kooistra 24 run. 1Q: 04:09 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 3Q: 05:29 TROY - Jerome Lyrenmann 10 pass from Jerald Drummond. 3Q: 05:29 TROY - Ian Chalenski extra point. 4Q: 10:48 KENT - Blaine Kooistra 9 run. 4Q: 10:48 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 4Q: 07:11 KENT - Adrian Castillo 97 punt return. 4Q: 07:11 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 4Q: 02:19 KENT - Randall Gillespie 3 run. 4Q: 02:19 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point.

It was a good win, but a costly one.

Early in the second quarter, one of our starting OLBs, Wayne Merrill, broke his foot. In the fourth quarter, the OTHER starting OLB, Ross Bowen, tore ligaments in his knee. Both of them are sophomores, and we probably lost both of them for the season.

Ross is almost certainly done for the year; the early prognosis indicates it'll be six months before he's back to full strength. Wayne's injury isn't quite as serious, but they're saying 13 weeks for him. Now all three of our projected starting linebackers are out, since Vince Geary is still recovering from repetitive concussion syndrome.

Tim Gomez and Percy McCareins are the new starters at OLB. They're both juniors, and they've both appeared in every game the last two years, but mostly on special teams. Tim and Percy are tough, and they've got some talent, but neither of them have the potential Wayne and Ross have. In the short run, we'll be OK; in the long run, we'll have to see what the injuries do to the potential of two very talented players.

On a brighter note, we got a great effort from Blaine Kooistra (26 carries, 156 yards, 2 TD) in his first collegiate game. We used Randall Gillespie at fullback some, and he did a good job, too (12 carries, 56 yards). QB Josh Roaf hung in there (9-22 passing) but, most importantly, he didn't turn the ball over and ran the offense well enough for us to put up 31 points.

Adrian Castillo brought the crowd to its feet with a 97-yard punt return for a touchdown. He also led the team with 11 tackles and intercepted a pass. He can flat-out play football.

Time will tell what effects the injuries to Bowen and Merrill will have on our team. I wish them all the best as they recover.

Recruiting Update
It's encouraging to see some talented players showing a little more interest in our program than has previously been the case. Several guys on the rivals.com Top 100 show up on our recruiting report as "blue," and a couple are "green." We're recruiting all of these players, and if anything comes of our efforts, I'll let you know.

Kent State's record: 1-0.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-21-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #49
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 2, 2006

Bye week. We continued our recruiting efforts, but no players have arranged to visit us yet.

We're getting some positive vibes from the #7 player in the nation: DE Wes Gray, from Phelps, KY. We've offered him a scholarship, and so has Louisville. Landing Wes would be a huge, huge step forward for our program.

Needless to say, we're not expending all our recruiting efforts on players like Wes Gray. We're continuing to recruit heavily in the state of Ohio, looking for talented, possibly overlooked, players whom we have a good chance of bringing to campus.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #50
Big Six
High School Varsity

Week 3, 2006
#97 Dayton (0-1) at #44 Kent State (0-1)
TV5
Code:
Dayton 7 0 7 7 - 21 Kent State 14 7 14 14 - 49 1Q: 10:13 KENT - Darrin Wampus 13 pass from Josh Roaf. 1Q: 10:13 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 1Q: 09:17 DAYT - Riddick Bush 86 run. 1Q: 09:17 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie extra point. 1Q: 03:51 KENT - Blaine Kooistra 2 run. 1Q: 03:51 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 2Q: 03:12 KENT - Blaine Kooistra 29 run. 2Q: 03:12 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 3Q: 12:22 KENT - Randall Gillespie 4 run. 3Q: 12:22 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 3Q: 06:09 KENT - Blaine Kooistra 2 run. 3Q: 06:09 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 3Q: 00:00 DAYT - Roger Phan 21 pass from Riddick Bush. 3Q: 00:00 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie extra point. 4Q: 13:11 KENT - Randall Gillespie 5 run. 4Q: 13:11 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 4Q: 07:25 KENT - Deron Jamison 50 fumble return. 4Q: 07:25 KENT - Leonard Shultz extra point. 4Q: 05:11 DAYT - Max Quayle 49 run. 4Q: 05:11 DAYT - Roosevelt McKenzie extra point.

We played as well offensively as we have in my two-plus years at Kent State. We executed almost flawlessly in both our running and passing games, and the result was 49 points, 517 total yards, 33 first downs, and almost 39 minutes in possession of the ball.

Blaine Kooistra had an even better game than he did against Troy, with 31 carries, 211 yards, and 3 touchdowns. Randall Gillespie got 20 carries and managed only 52 yards, but he scored twice and caught four passes.

Josh Roaf took a huge step forward today. He went 20-22 for 250 yards and a touchdown, and threw one interception. He sure didn't look like a freshman out there.

Neither did Wes Gourdine, who contributed six key run blocks. The rest of the line added 13 more, which is impressive.

We all got a kick out of watching big Deron Jamison pick up a fumble and "run" 50 yards with it for a TD. He shook off a tackler and kept his legs moving, and before he knew it he was in the clear.

We have another week off before we play our conference opener at Northern Illinois.

Recruiting Update
We're continuing to make contact with recruits and invite them to campus, but nobody has lined up a visit yet. I'll keep you posted.

Kent State's record: 2-0.

Last edited by Big Six : 02-21-2010 at 02:13 PM.