Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Speaking of concussions ESPN...

Maybe you should stop sponsoring sports where they're all but certain Caleb Moore treated for heart contusion after Snowmobile Freestyle crash - X Games

It's one thing to glorify people doing very dangerous things on a skateboard, snowboard, or even motorcycles (and apparently not requiring helmets among the competitors of the first two), but there's no way having people do backflips etc. on snowmobiles doesn't lead to someone dying. It's not going to be a freak accident like Ray Chapman in baseball, it's an easily foreseen eventuality that becomes more and more likely each year this event is around (and "progresses" by the competitors doing more outrageous - and dangerous - tricks.)

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

they dont give a shit about concussions or injuries, the talking heads just like to feign moral outrage that these happen so they can feel morally superior to the people who realise its all on the people who choose to do these risky things and they enjoy it.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

I didn't watch the event but the lead-in was still on and they showed last years gold medallist crash twice in training and both times he must have been inches away from being impaled by one of the tracks. Absolute insanity.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So, while working at a bar tonight, I spent maybe 30 minutes (until they cut back and showed him giving a thumbs up while being stretchered away) wondering if I'd just seen the first on-air death during a "sporting" event. Winter X Games 2013 Video: Halldor Helgason Sustains Concussion in Huge Crash | Bleacher Report
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
So, while working at a bar tonight, I spent maybe 30 minutes (until they cut back and showed him giving a thumbs up while being stretchered away) wondering if I'd just seen the first on-air death during a "sporting" event. Winter X Games 2013 Video: Halldor Helgason Sustains Concussion in Huge Crash | Bleacher Report

That is absolutely nuts, the impact angle and speed could have broken his neck.

Seems like ESPN does not mind hypocrisy as long as it equals ratings. But, then again, these guys would be doing this televised or not. Youth = invincible.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I thought so too. It actually topped the Jake Brown fall from a couple years back
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Jake Brown fell 60 ft, that was insane
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
Easy Mac

Probably should be. changed to speaking about death...

Snowmobiler still critical after crash at X Games « SI.com
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

Looks like we did witness a death, albeit a painful and slow one.

Caleb Moore has died after snowmobile accident at Winter X Games - ESPN

I don't even watch the X Games, but literally happened to stop on this for like 30 seconds and saw the Moore crash. I thought he might've been dead right after it happened, but then he wasn't so I thought he would be fine. That didn't happen. Can't imagine how a sport like ramp jumping on snowmobiles could end up deadly.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just saw this, sad ending. Officials are now stating they are going to look into the safety of the event. Not that doing flips on snowmobiles can ever be made safe.

Sucks that the constant pushing of the envelope finally led to this. I am actually suprised it hasn't happened yet on one of those insame Redbull New Years eve stunts as well.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote