Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

OT: Worst Sports Team Nickname. Ever.

I figure there are plenty of clangers out there in terms of team nicknames, but I think I have the absolute worst.

New Zealand is a little eccentric in the way that it names all of its national sports teams. The name given to the national rugby team - the All Blacks - has inspired a curious convention of giving other national sports teams names involving the words 'all', 'black' or rhymes of these two words.:

Rugby: All Blacks
Womens Rugby: Black Ferns
Wheelchair Rugby: Wheel Blacks
Cricket: Black Caps
Basketball: Tall Blacks
Soccer: All Whites
American Football: Iron Blacks
Womens Field Hockey: Black Stix
Mens Ice Hockey: Ice Blacks
Americas Cup Winning Boat: Black Magic
Threepeat World Champion Mens Softball side: Black Sox

and so on and so on.

So when the New Zealand national Badminton association, Badminton NZ, was raising a potential team name as a gimmicky label to attract sponsors and fans they came up with.............

.....wait for it......

Black Cocks

This is my nomination for absolute worst team nickname. And I'm not kidding. The link is to the main, conservative, daily national newspaper.

Have Fun,

kiwi

"the run it at da white boy philosophy will not xsist wif out.... da white boys"

Amen

kiwiLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:09 AM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Baseball: San Francisco Giants.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:38 AM   #3
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiLB57
The link is to the main, conservative, daily national newspaper.

I'm a little distrustful of conservatives--is it true what they say about the Black Cocks?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:23 AM   #4
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
I'm a little distrustful of conservatives--is it true what they say about the Black Cocks?

Conservative was probably a bad choice of words, I meant "not a tabloid".

I would like to make some witty remark about the prowess of the Black Cocks such as they serve strong, can rally all night and make frequent use of the forehand, however that would probably be in poor taste. So I will refrain.

"the run it at da white boy philosophy will not xsist wif out.... da white boys"

Amen
kiwiLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

I heard that Subby is a HUGE fan of the Black Cocks...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm... team isn't actually in use is it?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 09-14-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Once you go black, you never go back.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

One of me mates has seen the Black Cocks perform. He said that they are very overrated. Overall, he said that the Black Cocks are really about average. A couple of the Black Cocks are huge, and they like to portray the myth that they are all huge, hulking Black Cocks. But he said that in reality some of the Black Cocks are even smaller than he is, and he is no giant. To me, I say let the Black Cocks keep their myth alive. After all, the Black Cocks serve at the pleasure of the Queen. But when it all comes down to it, it is all about performance. And a couple of women I know have told me that even watching some of the larger Black Cocks perform can be painful.

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 09-14-2005 at 09:55 AM.
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
One of me mates has seen the Black Cocks perform. He said that they are very overrated. Overall, he said that the Black Cocks are really about average. A couple of the Black Cocks are huge, and they like to portray the myth that they are all huge, hulking Black Cocks. But he said that in reality some of the Black Cocks are even smaller than he is, and he is no giant. To me, I say let the Black Cocks keep their myth alive. After all, the Black Cocks serve at the pleasure of the Queen. But when it all comes down to it, it is all about performance. And a couple of women I know have told me that even watching some of the larger Black Cocks perform can be painful.

lol....nice!
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
DougW
High School Varsity

With the "Pelicans" becoming official .. this thread needs more to be revistied !

Worse nicknames in sports says Yahoo ...
Worst nicknames in pro sports | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! Sports

I am in camp "Utah Jazz" ... was cool in Orleans, but REALLY stupid in Utah.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
StLee
High School Varsity

I am a fan of the Pelicans name change. One, pelicans are the state bird of Louisiana, and they are pretty bad ass birds of prey, by the way. Two, pelicans gives a homage to New Orleans' first professional franchise, the New Orleans Pelicans of the Southern Association (baseball). I am on board with the Pelicans and definitely don't mind the nickname.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #13
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Pelicans are cool birds. They could eat any other bird and they're smart as hell. Also all you have to do is give them slanted angry eyebrows and instantly they are scary and badass looking. Give them popeye sized muscle arms and they get even more fierce. And clenched teeth, don't forget the clenched teeth...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
Two, pelicans gives a homage to New Orleans' first professional franchise, the New Orleans Pelicans of the Southern Association (baseball).

That is what people are missing. We're talking about almost a century of history there. Because of that team, being a native here, it couldn't sound more natural to me. Playing sports computer games through the years, whenever creating a fake New Orleans pro team I'd always name them the Pelicans.

If they'd have just come up with Pelicans out of the blue, my reaction would probably be similar to a lot of peoples'. But that's not the case, and it's a very appropriate name.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Houston Texans is pretty stupid.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm just hoping Underoos comes out with NBA team themed briefs.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

no Young Boys? for shame
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If an American basketball team tried to call itself the Tall Blacks, ESPN would have to create a new channel dedicated to commentators expressing outrage.

As for Pelicans, it is strange to me that it seems like such a silly nickname to outsides. As a NOLA native, it makes perfect sense.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Here in AZ

Scottsdale Community College Fighting Artichokes - What better to spread fear than a bad ass Artichoke.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No love for the Banana Slugs yet?

I might have to go with an Atlanta area high school as a contender, since the Clarkston Angoras always conjures an image of being attacked by angry sweaters.

I guess the Naugahydes was too hard to spell or something.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

Not a sports team, but the boxer Sam Langford was given the nickname "The Boston Tar Baby" (even though he was from Canada) because he had the nerve to be black and a good fighter in the early 1900s.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
Critch
lolzcat

Atlanta Black Crackers from the Negro Leagues is either the best or worst nickname, but not sure which.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am a fan of the Pelicans name change. One, pelicans are the state bird of Louisiana, and they are pretty bad ass birds of prey, by the way. Two, pelicans gives a homage to New Orleans' first professional franchise, the New Orleans Pelicans of the Southern Association (baseball). I am on board with the Pelicans and definitely don't mind the nickname.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Pelicans are cool birds. They could eat any other bird and they're smart as hell. Also all you have to do is give them slanted angry eyebrows and instantly they are scary and badass looking. Give them popeye sized muscle arms and they get even more fierce. And clenched teeth, don't forget the clenched teeth...

Pittsburgh will never be confused with an NBA town. But our local CBS/Fan station has been reporting on the name change.

What cracks me up is a couple of the talking heads they have on the air are skewering the Pelicans as a name because it's not "imposing". While working in the same city that has a team called the Penguins. I've been a Pens season ticket holder for 9 years, and never once did it occur to me the name/mascot/logo may not be imposing enough.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just wish they'd done it 10 years ago so that Charlotte could have held on to the Hornets all the while.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I really like the Pelicans nickname. I also thought I heard somewhere that Charlotte was considering changing their nickname back to Hornets?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pittsburgh will never be confused with an NBA town. But our local CBS/Fan station has been reporting on the name change.

What cracks me up is a couple of the talking heads they have on the air are skewering the Pelicans as a name because it's not "imposing". While working in the same city that has a team called the Penguins. I've been a Pens season ticket holder for 9 years, and never once did it occur to me the name/mascot/logo may not be imposing enough.

not to mention "Steelers" and "Pirates" doing nothing either...

What are they going to do....build a bridge at me or sing me a G&S aria in girly poofy clothes...
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

Pittsburgh needs an NBA team names Pisces.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Pelicans just need to appear in a Bud Ice commercial and they'll be imposing too.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
I really like the Pelicans nickname. I also thought I heard somewhere that Charlotte was considering changing their nickname back to Hornets?

Charlotte is considering it and has approval from the nba, now they are doing their leg work to see if it will work with e public, which hasn't rea
Lu accepted the bobcats since they have been here.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

May i nominate the Geoduck, mascot of the Evergreen State College.

It's pronounced "Gooey" Duck.

EDIT:

And it looks like this....

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #31
Radii
Head Coach

The Geoduck dirty jobs episode is one of my favorites. I did not know a school chose it as its mascot. That is a bit weird.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

As is the Geoduck Top Chef episode Good one Abe!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #33
MrBug708
Head Coach

My sister-in-law has a geoduck shirt from ESC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #34
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I found that out when i went to interview there for a job.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

wtf is that thing. A snail? A super sized snailish like creature from the deep?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #36
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

Clam.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #37
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Someone please assure me that no geoducks were harmed in the filming of the Star Wars trash compactor scene?

Last edited by corbes : 01-28-2013 at 06:00 AM.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #38
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

They're delicious fried up. We drive 4 hours to Long Beach, WA sometimes because they have a restaurant there that serves them up perfectly. I'm drooling just thinking about them.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #39
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Charlotte is considering it and has approval from the nba, now they are doing their leg work to see if it will work with e public, which hasn't rea
Lu accepted the bobcats since they have been here.

Put it this way. I used to attend Hornets games; I've never even watched a Bobcats game.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #40
Travis
Pro Rookie

A similar topic to this was brought up by a radio host around here last week, the eventual winner was:

Rhode Island School of Design Mascot - Scrotie

Their hockey team is called The Nads while the basketball team is called The Balls.

Guessing whoever wears the suit lost a bet of some kind. A horrible, horrible bet.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #41
britrock88
Pro Starter

RISD's actually quite dedicated to genitalia, down to the official team logos. The women's soccer team is called the Jugs, to keep up with the boys.

Only makes sense that kids at the top fine arts school would take care of these things. Here's the Nads' logo:

Pretty cool, if you ask me.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #42
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I nominate the Stanford Cardinal.

Our team is a color. WHAT YOU CLAIM?