Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #3001
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback. We have Ticket to Ride and enjoy it. Catan was a dud for some reason (I liked it). Trying Pandemic soon.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #3002
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Good luck, can never have enough board gamers.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #3003
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm here to add that my wife and I have finished Pandemic Legacy. The last few games were really intense because it felt like we didn't know what kinds of surprises the game would throw at us next. Sure enough, there were a couple of major twists toward the end of the game. It was great fun, but man, it was draining. It is time to move on to other games. We will be spending most of this weekend at a local gaming convention, and we hope to try out some new games there.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #3004
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Just ordered Combat Commander Europe. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends who like war games, so this will be another solo play, along with Twilight Struggle and For The People.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #3005
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Just ordered Combat Commander Europe. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends who like war games, so this will be another solo play, along with Twilight Struggle and For The People.

Good luck . I was looking at Combat Commander too but reviews made it sound because of cards it is tougher to solo. I didn't like it had no tanks or armor, vehicles etc. I might get Band of Brothers and Ambush to scratch this itch.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #3006
Warhammer
Pro Starter

There can be a ton of gaminess with Combat Commander. I watched a game where a guy literally lugged a gun across the battlefield while the guys in a bunker watched them do so, set it up, and pummeled them because he had no cards to attack with.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #3007
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Calling all hockey fans...

I posted a video about Hockey Blast on my channel today. Fun game!!

Hands-On: Hockey Blast - YouTube
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #3008
Thomkal
Head Coach

I recently won a Halloween contest with League of Gamemakers-on Facebook and the web. I had to give them a list of games or types of games I was interested in, and they sent me one on the list plus another game that wasn't, and a Halloween expansion pack for King of Tokyo, a Zombicide Figure, A Dead of Winter character stanchion for what looks like a holidays themed character (Rebecca Plum), some cards for Letter Tycoon, and a whole bunch of Halloween candy (yum). Got all this just before my family starts arriving for Thanksgiving (the main holiday in this family)

The game from my list is Eldritch Horror-pleased to see it can be played by one person too. The one not on my list is Jupiter Rescue, which looks like a cooperative game-never heard of it. Quite a nice haul-might be worth checking out the League for future contests and just general board game content.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #3009
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I recently won a Halloween contest with League of Gamemakers-on Facebook and the web. I had to give them a list of games or types of games I was interested in, and they sent me one on the list plus another game that wasn't, and a Halloween expansion pack for King of Tokyo, a Zombicide Figure, A Dead of Winter character stanchion for what looks like a holidays themed character (Rebecca Plum), some cards for Letter Tycoon, and a whole bunch of Halloween candy (yum). Got all this just before my family starts arriving for Thanksgiving (the main holiday in this family)

The game from my list is Eldritch Horror-pleased to see it can be played by one person too. The one not on my list is Jupiter Rescue, which looks like a cooperative game-never heard of it. Quite a nice haul-might be worth checking out the League for future contests and just general board game content.
Jupiter Rescue was one of the first "designer" board games I ever bought. It's pretty light fare - I've played it with a 7-year-old - but it's still a pretty decent game that can be played solo by controlling multiple characters.

Congratulations on your win!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #3010
tarcone
Coordinator

El Grande the big box version is now available in the US.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #3011
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Jupiter Rescue was one of the first "designer" board games I ever bought. It's pretty light fare - I've played it with a 7-year-old - but it's still a pretty decent game that can be played solo by controlling multiple characters.

Congratulations on your win!

Thanks for the info on Jupiter Rescue-good to know it can be played solo. And thanks!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #3012
tarcone
Coordinator

The Thunder Alley track pack. is being shipped Monday. Just in time for Christmas. 6 new tracks for the game. Very excited. I cant wait to play a series with the new tracks.

And, my Dad sent me a present this year. He told me he would like to buy me a game. Which is awesome. I emailed him a couple suggestions. And it is here and under the tree. It feels like Empire of the Sun. Man, I hope so.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #3013
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The Thunder Alley track pack. is being shipped Monday. Just in time for Christmas. 6 new tracks for the game. Very excited. I cant wait to play a series with the new tracks.

And, my Dad sent me a present this year. He told me he would like to buy me a game. Which is awesome. I emailed him a couple suggestions. And it is here and under the tree. It feels like Empire of the Sun. Man, I hope so.

Man... All I want for Christmas is someone who enjoys playing Thunder Alley so I could play it more.

Last edited by PadresFan104 : 12-12-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #3014
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Man... All I want for Christmas is someone who enjoys playing Thunder Alley so I could play it more.

I play solo. I forget cards. But I do tend to lean towards my favorite color. But not too much. It does solo well.

I am also playing on Vassal. It works real well there. We are playing a 4 person series right now. Just finishing our 2nd race. It is PBEM using drop box.

If you want to try a game on Vassal, Im game. We just need to post on BGG to scare up a couple more.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #3015
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
I play solo. I forget cards. But I do tend to lean towards my favorite color. But not too much. It does solo well.

I am also playing on Vassal. It works real well there. We are playing a 4 person series right now. Just finishing our 2nd race. It is PBEM using drop box.

If you want to try a game on Vassal, Im game. We just need to post on BGG to scare up a couple more.

I might be interested in a VASSAL game - is it live or PBEM?

I struggle to get this game to the table because one of my gaming group hates it.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #3016
tarcone
Coordinator

Either is good. It works great both ways. Im about to go on break and will have a lot of free time in a week. I would play live. May be harder to find sonme players. But Im in a game right now with 3 others. They may be interested in a live game.
One of the guys is play testing the new expansion for the game. Its called Pit Chief or Pit Crew. It adds cards to the game and strategic choices.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #3017
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Ok, I probably won't be able to play live until after X-mas, but I will get VASSAL installed and the module loaded up.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:11 AM   #3018
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What is Thunder Alley?

Oh, and recommending a board/card game, I got the kickstarter version of Epic PVP: Fantasy, and recommend it highly, great to play with friends (I have a post up on my blog, so I'll just link you to it)

https://www.an8bitmind.com/index.php...playing-part2/
Old 12-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #3019
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

I've always been curious about Vassal, but have never tried it. I'm assuming it's not hard to learn for someone fairly computer savvy?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #3020
tarcone
Coordinator

Very easy. I learned and im pretty dumb when it comes to computers. You DL the Vassal program and then go to their site and they have all the games available. Download your choice and it loads up. Pretty much it. Then it is just getting used to the interface and all that.

If you are interested in our Thunder Alley game. Please jump in.

Thunder Alley, SirFozzie, is a NASCAR like race sim. It is card driven. You get a hand of cards based on the number of cars you have in the race +1. Then you play your hand and move your cars. The victory condition is based on how well your team does, as opposed to one car. It is a very tactical game. And strategy can be ruined because your cars are moved not only by you but by other players, do to the drafting mechanic.

It is a really fun game.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #3021
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'm interested, just sent you a PM. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #3022
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My Praetor Review is now up on Gaming Trend.

On deck to play and review:

Alien Wars - Memory meets dexterity in this family game
Wings for the Baron - Intriguing looking card game about building planes for the Germans in WWI.
Carcassonne Over Hill and Dale - Never played Carcassonne, which is probably why I got this. Fresh look at another game in the franchise.
Monster My Neighbor - Have no clue, but it's from z-man and I've had good luck with them.

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 12-14-2015 at 10:07 PM.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #3023
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Very easy. I learned and im pretty dumb when it comes to computers. You DL the Vassal program and then go to their site and they have all the games available. Download your choice and it loads up. Pretty much it. Then it is just getting used to the interface and all that.

Thunder Alley, SirFozzie, is a NASCAR like race sim. It is card driven. You get a hand of cards based on the number of cars you have in the race +1. Then you play your hand and move your cars. The victory condition is based on how well your team does, as opposed to one car. It is a very tactical game. And strategy can be ruined because your cars are moved not only by you but by other players, do to the drafting mechanic.

It is a really fun game.

How are you guys playing (ie live, PBEM, etc)? My availability is really spotty the next week or so, but actually not bad as we get closer to the holidays. I would love to give it a shot, your reviews have me incredibly intrigued.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-14-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #3024
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

My sunday night crew played a new game we received from a Kickstarter campaign this week, Slaughterball Deluxe: Verdict? Fun!

https://www.an8bitmind.com/index.php...eluxe-edition/
Old 12-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #3025
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Playing Wing Leader tomorrow night with my Brother in Law. Anyone play before? Any hints or tips?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #3026
MIJB#19
Coordinator

A board games loaded Christmas (there wasn't much more to ask for, for me) playing four of the top10 games on my 'want to play' list.

Concept - This has become our warm up party game for gaming sessions, for when the bunch are slowly arriving. We don't keep score, but it honestly doesn't matter to make it enjoyable. I think it's better suited as one of several mini-games inside a larger party game.

Spyfall - Played with six, all new to the game. It turned out to be challenging. Right now I think it's a coin flip between becoming one of my favorite games ever and quickly going to the never again pile. It's a wide margin, but will really depends on how it holds up for more experienced players, whether it becomes easier to ask good questions once you're into the game.

Wie is de Mol? (The Mole) - Played with seven. As far as I know it's only available in Dutch. It captures the fun of a puzzle game with one mole in the group trying to sabotage. It was my third play with pretty much the same group, and once again it was a blast. Longevity is no longer a concern for me, I concluded this game belongs in my personal all-time top10.

Coyote - Played with six, I really rocked in this game. We played two sessions and both times I managed to win. But who wins doesn't make it better or worse, those eliminated also had fun seeing the faces of those still playing and trying to guess what card/feather they have on their heads. It was my first time playing and I enjoyed it enough to plug it into my all-time top10, right ahead of Liar's Dice.

Inkognito - Played with four, with the same foursome as my last two plays. I was fourth in turn order and got way behind early. Before my third turn, the players on my left and right had figured out they were partners and shook hands for their victory. Quick victories have become pretty standard for Inkognito with us...

Played earlier today:
Escape - Played with my youngest sister a grand total of four times. Our warm up always is a base game and it once again was a high speed routine victory. Adding the module with changing rooms didn't make it much harder for us. The latest module with quests did make it a challenge. In our third play we got too confident, trying to escape 2/3rd in, eventually getting stuck. Fourth play was a second shot at quests and this time we got the job done smoothly.

Scrabble - nothing interest to report here.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #3027
tarcone
Coordinator

I got Empire of the Sun. Very excited. I have this week to learn it. No obligations. Can't wait.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #3028
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I had a pretty loaded board game haul as well: Caverna, Lanterns, The Last Spike, King of New York, The Grizzled, Bananagrams, Dragonwood, and Go Long. Unfortunately, my roommates and my usual gaming group are all out of town until the new year, so I'll have to wait a while until I can get any of them to the table.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #3029
tarcone
Coordinator

I recently picked up The US Civil War. I have read the rule book. Wow. 20 pages of rules. But an easy 20 pages. This is a WARgame. I cant wait to play.

I recently played Samurai. Its a tile laying puzzle game. Very fun. I enjoyed it a lot.

And I finally got The Dice Must Flow to the table. Fun dice and area control type game. Really easy to play.

Good games above.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #3030
Galaril
Pro Starter

How long does the Dice mst flow take for 1 or 2 players?
Old 02-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #3031
bob
College Starter

I wonder how much this will cost:

First details on SeaFall, the next game from co-designer of Pandemic: Legacy | Polygon
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #3032
tarcone
Coordinator

The box lists 60-90 minutes. But once you get the mechanics down, it goes pretty quick.

I dont think it would work great with 1. It seems to be better with more players.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #3033
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The box lists 60-90 minutes. But once you get the mechanics down, it goes pretty quick.

I dont think it would work great with 1. It seems to be better with more players.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #3034
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Played 7 Wonders today. It had been a while. I forgot how much I liked that game.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #3035
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bought One Night: Ultimate Werewolf for the family. Really fun game for the whole family. My nine and six year old love playing it and tossing in different roles to play. The app that the company has on Android/iStore is fantastic and really makes the game easy to play with an automated narrator.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #3036
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

GMT Games has 1960 on the p500 list. Another 100 pre-orders, and they plan to have it printed this fall.

GMT Games - 1960: The Making of the President

They've also reprinted Twilight Struggle.

I've never tried either, but I've heard a lot of good things about each game.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #3037
tarcone
Coordinator

I really like 7 wonders. A very fun game.

Twilight Struggle is a cool game. But Im an inexperienced player. And I played with against a very experienced player once. Got my butt handed to me. He knew the deck. I didnt. But a really cool game, nonetheless.

I doubt 1960 gets re-done by the Fall. GMT is so far behind in producing games right now. They have a huge list of games to make and then there is the list of re-prints. I bet it is 1st quarter next year with 1960. But that should be a good one.

If you are intersted in political games, GMT has Mr. President on the P500. It is purely a solitaire game where you are the President and have to make decisions based on different issues and crisis' (sp?). Looks like a really great game. Im looking forward to this one.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-555-mr-president.aspx

Last edited by tarcone : 02-27-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #3038
bob
College Starter

Anyone play Pandemic: Legacy? Thoughts without spoilers? Worth the price?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #3039
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Board Games - Page 59 - Front Office Football Central
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #3040
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

In case that link above isn't enough...

I know Pumpy and his wife really enjoyed it. My group has played it for one evening, got about 5 games in, and haven't picked it back up since. Mostly, that's because one of the group is planning/putting on their wedding, but we haven't exactly been dying to get it back on the table. It felt a little too chaotic - each game we opened several different packages and added a bunch to the game. My comparison is to Risk: Legacy, and I think the issue is that in Risk: Legacy, every time you open a package it's a huge deal and modifies the game in a dramatic way. Pandemic: Legacy is completely the opposite - you end up opening a package every single game, and while you end up with dramatic changes to the game play, the wow factor of each opening isn't quite there.

I definitely do want to get it back to the table, and it's not that we didn't like it...I just wasn't super pumped about it. I need more time with it before I make any categorical decisions, but as of now it gets a firm 'meh' from me.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #3041
bob
College Starter

Based on that, and the fact that we already own the normal Pandemic, I guess I'll pass for now.

I don't have a gaming group and my kids are still too young for some of these games, so I was looking to get it now and hold it for much later before it goes out of print. I have Risk Legacy set aside for now. Maybe I'll pick it up if I get a steal, but otherwise I'll wait for Seafall.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #3042
revrew
Team Chaplain

With all the primary/politics going on, I broke out Road to the White House last night with my teens.

Have loved the game for years, but I'll admit its a LONG game (better played over a couple of sessions than all at once), and the rules are confusing. In fact, I play with house rules and enjoy making them up to mirror a more IRL experience.

This time, we're just playing with the stock candidates, rather than generating those actually running, though the game (made in 1992) does have a "Donald Grump" candidate that my son is using.

I've also introduced some house rules to make the Iowa/N.H./S.C./Super Tuesday stretch more compelling. Force candidates to campaign in those early states because the rewards are just too much. And if you fail in the early states, it puts you at a severe disadvantage.

I'm having a great time. My 17yo gamer daughter is loving it, too. My younger teens ... not as much. Still ...
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #3043
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Pandemic Legacy was the best board game experience I've had! A group of four of us finished the campaign in about 4 months. I like Pandemic (8 out of 10 imo) but the Legacy aspect to an already good game makes it a great experience. I say get it and wait for 2-3 more people that can play it with you on a regular basis. I wouldn't want to play PL and have to wait a month or two to play the next month - it would take away from the tension/story - imo.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #3044
tarcone
Coordinator

All I have been thinking about is playing The US Civil War. This game has really taken a hold of my interest. It looks like a game I am really going to enjoy.
I think Sunday Im going to push some counters around and learn it.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #3045
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
All I have been thinking about is playing The US Civil War. This game has really taken a hold of my interest. It looks like a game I am really going to enjoy.
I think Sunday Im going to push some counters around and learn it.

I went to look this up on BGG, and found it funny its rank is 1861.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #3046
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I went to look this up on BGG, and found it funny its rank is 1861.

Awesome

Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #3047
ColtCrazy
College Starter

U.S. Civil War was my top game last year. It's absolutely brilliant. Remarkably easy to pick up for such an in depth game. Gives you a real feel for the struggles both sides had.

Top Tabletop Games of 2015 — Nick’s List |
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #3048
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Pandemic Legacy appears to be out of print over here already. I've checked all the board game specialist (web)stores I've consulted the past two years and all of them list both Blue and Red, both the English and Dutch edition as 'unavailable' or 'availability unknown'. Makes me regret not buying about 3 months ago, when it had just hit the market.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #3049
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
With all the primary/politics going on, I broke out Road to the White House last night with my teens.

Have loved the game for years, but I'll admit its a LONG game (better played over a couple of sessions than all at once), and the rules are confusing. In fact, I play with house rules and enjoy making them up to mirror a more IRL experience.

This time, we're just playing with the stock candidates, rather than generating those actually running, though the game (made in 1992) does have a "Donald Grump" candidate that my son is using.

I've also introduced some house rules to make the Iowa/N.H./S.C./Super Tuesday stretch more compelling. Force candidates to campaign in those early states because the rewards are just too much. And if you fail in the early states, it puts you at a severe disadvantage.

I'm having a great time. My 17yo gamer daughter is loving it, too. My younger teens ... not as much. Still ...

I have gotten a ton of mileage out of this game over the years. I'm interested in your house rule ideas... my grou played a couple of times by their own "primary" rule structure, but nobody really liked it.

My main problem is I get fatigued by the end of hte game, winning or losing, and become unwilling to invest the effort to play max-out strategy (i.e I don't do enough polling and strategy-building arond poll results).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #3050
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks, Jim. I pre-ordered 1960 thanks to your heads-up. They make really good games.

Twilight Struggle is awesome. But tarcone is right. People who have memorized the deck (either intentionally or through sheer replay) have an advantage. If, however, you play with someone at the same level, it is amazingly well balanced. And pretty immersive, if you are into that. I still remember a game where I was the Soviets and I managed to take over Mexico. We actually ended up spending the rest of the evening talking about what the world would have been like had the Soviets gotten into Mexico and speculating about alternative histories. That's an immersive gaming experience.