Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #651
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
This is mainly for Jon, but what do you make of this? I realize it's incredibly hard to compare 2009 to 2010 so I wonder what, if anything, there is to this?

What I make of it is pretty much what I've said in the past: anyone buying network late night to reach 18-49 is a damned fool. That's not it's strength, it's rarely if ever cost efficient to use it that way, and (in most cases) you're being lazy if that's what you're buying it for.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #652
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting news is that NBC Universal chief Jeff Zucker is apparently stepping down.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #653
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Interesting news is that NBC Universal chief Jeff Zucker is apparently stepping down.

Sorta. He is leaving when Comcast takes NBC over next year. He is "stepping down" because they were not keeping him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #654
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why would anyone want to keep him? The network took an epic fucking nosedive under his watch.

As for the thread topic, I realized I hadn't checked the rating lately so I looked at this week's numbers. Letterman beat Leno on 3 of 4 days and that's total households, not demos.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #655
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, about that whole "we need more scripted TV on NBC" thing

Deadline.com » Blog Archive » NBC’s 10 PM Falls Below ‘Jay Leno Show’ As Networks Grapple With Erosion In The Hour
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #656
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Bwahahahaha.

‘Late Show’ Sweeps ‘The Tonight Show’ in Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for the First Time Since Jay Leno’s Return

Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #657
Galaxy
Coordinator

And Conan starts next Monday.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #658
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, he won't be able to compete head to head with them, but he will take a portion of their audience. It'll be interesting to see the end result.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #659
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kimmel to 11:35

what does this do to the landscape?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #660
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Kimmel to 11:35

what does this do to the landscape?

I think there's a fair question of whether it does much of anything. Does Kimmel's audience follow him to the earlier time slot? How much available new audience is there for his show at that time? I don't see it doing much to Leno, maybe dings Dave a bit more. There'll be sampling but long term, I think the audiences are pretty locked in on their guy, any growth for Kimmel will be new eyeballs.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #661
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It's solidifying him for when Leno and Dave do step down.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #662
kcchief19
Pro Starter

In crunching some numbers for the Jimmy Kimmel thread, I thought I'd bump this and revisit the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno.

Leno's ratings upon returning to his time slot aren't what they once where. Much was made of Conan dropping 2 million Leno viewers during his run, but Leno has dropped 1.25 million viewers compared to his 2008 self. Conan's ratings were about 1 million less than Leno is now but he beat Leno's 18-49 demo by 15%. In fact, Conan's 18-49 number during his run is higher than anybody's on now.

Considering that Conan had to deal with the horrific lead-in caused by Leno's 10 p.m. prime time show that killed NBC local news ratings, could that have been worth a million viewers? Had NBC never installed Leno at 10 p.m., would Conan's numbers have been higher? His demo was fabulous, so all he really needed was to maybe match Letterman's total viewers at 3.2 million.

I know the doubters will say that Conan is only hitting 1 million at TBS and losing to Stewart and Handler and not beating George Lopez's numbers. That's apples to oranges. Chelsea Handler may beat Conan on cable at 11 p.m., but does anybody think she gets Conan's Tonight Show numbers on NBC at 11:30? Plus I think there was more to Lopez's demographic appeal than most people calculated -- the only Hispanic late night talk show is a big draw. Plus Conan is damaged goods now too.

If NBC sticks with Conan and kicks Leno to the curb, everybody expected ABC to go after Leno. Would they? Would Leno's audience follow him to ABC? He's clearly damaged goods now; would have have been damaged goods with a network switch? And how would ABC have juggled him, Nightline and Kimmel? If ABC decided to dump Kimmel for Leno, would CBS have dumped Craig Ferguson to get a clearer heir apparent for Letterman?

I can see it going lots of ways. The only think I think is clear is that NBC made the worst possible choice. Trying to keep Leno around with that 10 p.m. show killed their prime time lineup in ways that has taken them four years to dig themselves out of. It absolutely killed relations with many of their affiliates that took time to mend. It damaged Leno to the point that he's not the same guy he was four years ago.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-25-2013 at 10:30 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #663
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
but does anybody think she gets Conan's Tonight Show numbers on NBC at 11:30?

I think she'd have ended up closer than you'd suspect on first blush.
And considerably cheaper to get there.

As for how ABC would have hypothetically juggled a Leno/Kimmel/Nightline trio, I suspect that at the time it would have spelled doom for Jimmy. I think now (if the same situation emerged but minus the Leno 10p experiment) they'd probably just sink Nightline instead, the new time slot is going to kill it anyway.