Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #401
RainMaker
General Manager

Huh?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #402
bronconick
College Starter

This chick tonight from 24 is wasted, and it's *awesome.* I hope they let Conan next week's shows, the possible humor is endless.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #403
cuervo72
Head Coach

She was? I just figured she was naturally a little...off.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #404
timmynausea
College Starter

I didn't see it, but she is pretty weird/funny and has been a good guest in the past.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #405
Tigercat
College Starter

Conan's 1135 ratings on Thursday night beat Leno's 1000, which is pretty significant when a 1135 show can beat out a 1000. Even before this whole situation, Conan's comparative ratings weren't bad at all, and anyone who defends NBC when they claim the ratings were bad is off their rocker.

Conan didn't fail, he just didn't succeed yet, and to spend all that effort and money only to not give him the chance to succeed, and get your network serious negative PR in the process? It will end up being a horrible play for NBC in the long run.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #406
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's kinda faulty logic. It is because of the present situation that Conan is in that his ratings are so high.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #407
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
This chick tonight from 24 is wasted, and it's *awesome.* I hope they let Conan next week's shows, the possible humor is endless.

oh man i'm so in love with Chloe, can't wait to see this.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #408
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That's kinda faulty logic. It is because of the present situation that Conan is in that his ratings are so high.

Correct, but it is also at least partly because of NBC's constant situation that his ratings were so low.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #409
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

I wasn't really putting any specific logic forth in regards to Conan beating Leno for one night. But I think it is hard to say it doesn't mean something right now, and possibly for the future. Why isn't Leno getting as much of a bump at 10? For numerous reasons, not the least of which is the time slot, Leno should even get the bigger bump. There is no reasonable excuse, and if Conan is out drawing Leno right now, who's to say that doesn't mean something for their future draws?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #410
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, it really isn't hard to say it doesn't mean something for the future. Conan got screwed over and is being insanely bitter (and hilarious). Of course people are going to tune in to see the chaos and how it handles it. The controversy is what is causing the spike.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #411
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
No, it really isn't hard to say it doesn't mean something for the future. Conan got screwed over and is being insanely bitter (and hilarious). Of course people are going to tune in to see the chaos and how it handles it. The controversy is what is causing the spike.

And Leno isn't in the middle of the chaos? Even saying that Conan should get a bigger bump as the death row inmate, it shouldn't be enough to beat out the much, much more favorable slot that Leno has.

My opinion: people are flocking to the edgier, fresher perspective of both sides. If the Media makes a big deal about Conan if/when he makes a resurgence on Fox (as much of a resurgence as he may be able to make on Fox), he could see just enough of an early boost to make NBC look foolish for many years. I am sure a decade ago the idea that Hugh Grant's BJ would swing late night viewership for years seemed ridiculous. The idea that the new round of late night wars might be the swing that gets a greater portion of the general public watching Conan isn't as far fetched in my mind.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #412
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

I don't think she was wasted. She's always been been like that in all the times I've seen her on talk shows.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #413
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The "It's getting rough showing up at work" gunfight with Conan and Andy was really funny.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #414
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The robots in the top management posts at NBC are doing a great job showing us all why they are having a poor showing in the ratings. It is because they are grossly incompetent. They've let their dirty laundry be shown on their own network, and then let Dick Ebersol have his rants posted on msnbc.com. Being a cynic, I'm left wondering if these guys are trying to destroy the place before Comcast takes over.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #415
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The "It's getting rough showing up at work" gunfight with Conan and Andy was really funny.

I don't know if you been a regular follower of Conan in the his previous show, but him driving his Taurus made it all the better.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #416
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Agreed. The taurus made it.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #417
RedKingGold
College Starter

I watched the Tonight Show for the first time ever last night...and loved it.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #418
Galaxy
Coordinator

Looks like a settlement was reached and I guess it's suppose to be announced today.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #419
molson
General Manager

I'll watch Conan wherever he ends up.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #420
molson
General Manager

Howard Stern predicted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcAAb60lik
Old 01-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #421
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
And Leno isn't in the middle of the chaos? Even saying that Conan should get a bigger bump as the death row inmate, it shouldn't be enough to beat out the much, much more favorable slot that Leno has.

My opinion: people are flocking to the edgier, fresher perspective of both sides. If the Media makes a big deal about Conan if/when he makes a resurgence on Fox (as much of a resurgence as he may be able to make on Fox), he could see just enough of an early boost to make NBC look foolish for many years. I am sure a decade ago the idea that Hugh Grant's BJ would swing late night viewership for years seemed ridiculous. The idea that the new round of late night wars might be the swing that gets a greater portion of the general public watching Conan isn't as far fetched in my mind.

So you are saying that people would rather watch the guy who benefits from the controversy rather than the person who was screwed over by the controversy? The guy who stands to gain and is happy right now over the guy who is pissed and going to take every single shot he can at his employer?

REALLY?!! Tell me you aren't drunk right now.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #422
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
So you are saying that people would rather watch the guy who benefits from the controversy rather than the person who was screwed over by the controversy? The guy who stands to gain and is happy right now over the guy who is pissed and going to take every single shot he can at his employer?

REALLY?!! Tell me you aren't drunk right now.

Uh, no. I said:
Quote:

In other words, Leno is enough in the thick of things that he should be getting a big bump too. Leno is taking shots at Conan and Letterman too, its not that there isn't controversy to be seen when watching Leno, add to that the fact that you can watch Leno at 10est...
Old 01-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #423
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In other words, Leno is enough in the thick of things that he should be getting a big bump too. Leno is taking shots at Conan and Letterman too, its not that there isn't controversy to be seen when watching Leno, add to that the fact that you can watch Leno at 10est...

No. This analysis is ridiculous in the extreme. Leno is the one benefiting here. He's not bitter, he's not taking shots at his parent company. To believe he should be getting a similar sized bump as O'Brien is demented.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #424
Tigercat
College Starter

Demented to expect that Conan at late night shouldn't beat Leno in primetime in adult demos when they are sharing the controversy? Demented to think that Leno should get a significant bump in primetime if Conan gets one on late night? Yea, whatever.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #425
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You sound like a loopy Conan fanboi.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #426
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
You sound like a loopy Conan fanboi.

You are the one using extreme adjectives while I am actually spelling out my case.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #427
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You are spelling out your case like a Creationist does. Doesn't make either of you less crazy.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #428
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
You are spelling out your case like a Creationist does. Doesn't make either of you less crazy.

There you go again, I would say I respect your opinion, but hard to say that to someone who's idea of discussion is condescension. I'll leave you with your axe to grind on your own.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #429
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Demented to think that Leno should get a significant bump in primetime if Conan gets one on late night?

That assumes that their respective audiences find the same things appealing, such as media hyped controversy. Or that Conan's audience is watching Leno just to see what happens (instead of waiting for someone to YouTube anything that happens). I don't think those are really accurate assumptions.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #430
timmynausea
College Starter

On one hand, I think it's silly to suggest that the insane level of publicity that Leno has had recently should have no effect on his ratings. On the other, Leno is up against much different competition at 10 pm. Some of the top rated shows on TV like The Mentalist (15-20 million viewers), CSI: Miami (13-19 million) Castle (8-11 million) plus stiffer cable competition. At 11:30, the competition is other talk shows for the most part.

If anything, it's just another sign that NBC was extremely stupid to put Leno at 10 pm.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #431
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
If anything, it's just another sign that NBC was extremely stupid to put Leno at 10 pm.

Which is why they should of told Leno bye-bye in the first place.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #432
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Friday's edition of the late night talk shows.

Late Night War Enters Retaliatory Stage: O'Brien Bites Back Hard at NBC, Leno Hits Letterman with Low Blow - The Tonight Show - Gawker.TV
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #433
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
No. This analysis is ridiculous in the extreme. Leno is the one benefiting here. He's not bitter, he's not taking shots at his parent company. To believe he should be getting a similar sized bump as O'Brien is demented.
Hmmm ... I think Leno has been taking shots at NBC. He's had jokes almost every night. It's just that Leno isn't must-see-TV. Leno's ratings haven't budged during any of these nonsense while Conan's have exploded. I think there are a lot of reasons for that but I think a central underlying reason is that nobody thinks Leno is going to have anything interesting to say about it, while everybody wants to know hear what Conan and Letterman have to say.

Jeff Gaspin from NBCU is frankly even funnier than Leno. Among his gems this week has been the claim that Leno has been attacked unfairly by other late night hosts and hasn't said anything bad about anyone else. No sooner did he get those words out Leno took a shot at Letterman relating to his affair. Keep it classy, Jay.

Interesting to see if a deal gets worked out and what it looks like. Sounds like there still isn't a final deal. Word is that NBC is insisting on a gag rule for Conan that would require payments to NBC if he says anything bad about the network and would cut his payout if he goes to another network. Conan is supposedly insisting upon severance packages for his employees who followed him from New York.

Call me crazy, but what I'd like to see happen is Conan workout a deal and take some time off. Letterman has a deal in place at CBS until 2012, and by all accounts want to make it through 30 years in late night to equal Carson. He'll be 65 (Carson was 67 when he retired) and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired in 2012. Dave obviously likes Conan and has been very supportive over the years -- I think Conan would be a natural successor to Dave in a couple of years. Given some time away, I think it would whet the appetite of fans for Conan, and it would be a whole lot easier going up against just Leno than trying to take on both Leno and Letterman.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:14 AM   #434
dervack
College Prospect

So, if Conan gets the reported $30 million deal to leave NBC, how would that work if they get the payout clause. Would it just be the first year of a deal, or over the course of a deal? And what if he owns the show? What if Fox pays him $1 million a year for 5 years. Would that take the payout to only $25 million or $29 million? And if he owns the show and gets the profits from the show, would that cut into the $30 million?

Last edited by dervack : 01-17-2010 at 02:14 AM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #435
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He's got a lot to think about. Should be interesting to see what he ends up doing. But surely he's been funnier now with nothing to lose than he ever appeared to be before that. That might be telling in and of itself.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #436
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Hmmm ... I think Leno has been taking shots at NBC. He's had jokes almost every night.

They are incredibly minor. Like the type of easy jokes you can tell about your bosses. Conan is completely teeing off on NBC.

Quote:
Dave obviously likes Conan and has been very supportive over the years -- I think Conan would be a natural successor to Dave in a couple of years. Given some time away, I think it would whet the appetite of fans for Conan, and it would be a whole lot easier going up against just Leno than trying to take on both Leno and Letterman.

On the other hand, you have Craig Ferguson, who is on Letterman's "WorldWide Pants" label, who may be a better fit.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #437
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

LMAO Steve Mariucci does Leno, and I especially loved this quote:

"In his first season as the Colts' head coach, Jim Caldwell led his team to the best record in football and the number-one seed. People are saying at NBC that it's about time for Tony Dungy to show up and take the job back!"

Last edited by k0ruptr : 01-17-2010 at 04:03 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #438
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It would be interesting to see if people who are checking out Conan now are going to stick with him to whatever job he might end up going to.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #439
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Jay Leno's Shocking 2004 Indian Giving Promise to Conan O'Brien - The Tonight Show - Gawker.TV

Quote:
When I took this show over there was a lot of animosity between me and Dave and who's going to get it, and quite frankly a lot of good friendships were permanently damaged and I don't want to see anybody have to go through that again. You know, this show is like a dynasty-you hold it and then you hand it off to the next person and I don't want to see all the fighting and all the who's better and nasty things back and forth in the press so right now, here it is, Conan it's yours. See you in five years, buddy.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #440
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
so right now, here it is, Conan it's yours. See you in five years, buddy.

But it's not right now! It's NOT right now, eh Kev?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #441
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently part of the buyout Conan has with NBC leaves all of Conan's characters and bits with NBC as their intellectual property.

RIP In the Year 2/3000, Conando, Masturbating Bear, etc.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #442
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently part of the buyout Conan has with NBC leaves all of Conan's characters and bits with NBC as their intellectual property.

A few pages back, I said that he wouldn't be popular on Fox. I felt that this would happen(all the IP staying behind), and he'd have nothing familar.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #443
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

You're getting a little too personal about fucking late night talk shows.....Take a breath there Sparky.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #444
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

One of the things I really liked about when Letterman switched to CBS was the Oh no we're going to get sued jingle he had for anything that was close to what he used to do on the late show.

I figure Conan will be fine. Most of the stuff he has been doing outside of the In the Year 3000, and the celebrity survey has been fairly new, and some of the other stuff(Audience Awards, Tabloid moments) I could care less if he was unable to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
It would be interesting to see if people who are checking out Conan now are going to stick with him to whatever job he might end up going to.

I think the best thing would be that Conan goes to Fox pulls a chunk of the Leno audience along with him and Leno then finishes 3rd behind Letterman and Conan.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #445
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Conan is one of the best comedy writers out there. I am not too worried about him coming up with new stuff. Hell it might be best to start fresh anyway.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #446
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I felt that this would happen(all the IP staying behind), and he'd have nothing familar.

He'll just have to find new ways to not be funny to the majority of people who don't live in their mother's basement. Shouldn't be much of a stretch really.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #447
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He'll just have to find new ways to not be funny to the majority of people who don't live in their mother's basement. Shouldn't be much of a stretch really.

Who do you find funny?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #448
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Who do you find funny?

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh would be my guess.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #449
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh would be my guess.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Who do you find funny?

A pretty wide variety actually. The too-cool-for-school hipster shtick just isn't part of it.