Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Potty Training a New Dog

I'm seriously lost here. Nothing seems to be really getting through. Just sort of goes when and where he wants. New dog, little over a year old, came from a shelter.

Any tips before I kill myself?

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I wish I had some tips. It's been about 6 years or so since I went through this and my dog was a bit younger at the time.

We did the usual. Take the dog outside a lot, praise him every time he peed or pooped outside, gave him treats, etc.

If he started to pee inside I would yell at him and then quickly get him outside.

The last time he peed in the house, he peed across the entire upstairs. He created some elaborate system of lakes and rivers of urine from room-to-room. It was pretty impressive. I lost it and started to scream and rave at him. He was terrified and hasn't done it since.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

You could try the newspaper/training pad thing where you put the newspaper or the pad in the house but away from the food and water. Then he starts to pick up the concept of location and control and you can move from there and eventually move the newspaper or pad away.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Crate training is another option.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Big dog or small dog? Small dogs are supposed to be harder.

One thing to try is to use the assumption that most animals don't like to go in their own space (makes sense), so confining the dog to a smaller area (like maybe the kitchen or another room near the door) might help it choose to try to wait and go outside.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Crate training worked with my Golden Retriever and he's been fantastic so far (he's 2 now) ... you need to be disciplined with it though.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I wish I had some tips. It's been about 6 years or so since I went through this and my dog was a bit younger at the time.

We did the usual. Take the dog outside a lot, praise him every time he peed or pooped outside, gave him treats, etc.

If he started to pee inside I would yell at him and then quickly get him outside.

The last time he peed in the house, he peed across the entire upstairs. He created some elaborate system of lakes and rivers of urine from room-to-room. It was pretty impressive. I lost it and started to scream and rave at him. He was terrified and hasn't done it since.

This is pretty much what I've always done with the handful of dogs we've ever had. Nothing special. Take it out a bunch. Every hour, if not more. Especially right after the puppy is done eating or drinking. One we had trouble with so we gated it into the living room with us with baby gates so we could observe it even more. If it even started sniffing like it might have to go off to the backyard we went.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Big dog or small dog? Small dogs are supposed to be harder.

One thing to try is to use the assumption that most animals don't like to go in their own space (makes sense), so confining the dog to a smaller area (like maybe the kitchen or another room near the door) might help it choose to try to wait and go outside.

Smaller, not super small though. About 36 pounds. He really just doesn't seem to have a sense of boundaries. Can be standing in the room and he'll just take a dump in the middle of it and go about his business like nothing is going on. He'll go outside when we take him, but he'll seriously come in and pee 20 minutes later. It's bizarre.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

overzealous positive reinforcement. inside nothing. outside treats/love. they catch on.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
DougW
High School Varsity

I've had a half dozen dogs or so, but have always gotten them as pups (younger than yours). I've never had a problem with that .

A LOT of attention to the "potty" is all I've ever none.
If they go outside, woo-hoo !! great job, it's party time.
If they go inside ... OMG I Friggin HATE you right now, nose rubbing, yelling NO, etc.

It's always worked. I imagine, just keep to it, it may take time.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
HerRealName
College Prospect

Combining crate training and limiting water to meal times has always done the trick for us but that sounds like a tough situation. Good Luck.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
RedKingGold
College Starter

Is he or she neutered? If not, it could be a marking issue.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

You could also just give up and crap in the house yourself, might save some on plumbing and water bills that way.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
overzealous positive reinforcement. inside nothing. outside treats/love. they catch on.

This and taking it outside really frequently are pretty much the main things.

I think our vet told us that most pups can't hold their bladders for longer than an hour per their age in months. So, a 3-month old would need to go out at least every 3-hours. I'd take it out every time after you see it eating or drinking.

Limiting its space unit it "earns" more is smart, too. Keeps clean up contained and allows it to become more accustomed to it's territory.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I have a friend who solves all of his dog behavioral issues by taking the dog outside and peeing on it.

He says it has immediately solved any and all long term behavioral struggles with his dogs.

He even got his wife to do it for one of them that liked to chew on her shoes and only her shoes. He also told me I was to never share the fact that I knew that with his wife. I'm frankly afraid to know what he would do, if I slipped up.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 01-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I have a friend who solves all of his dog behavioral issues by taking the dog outside and peeing on it.

He says it has immediately solved any and all long term behavioral struggles with his dogs.

He even got his wife to do it for one of them that liked to chew on her shoes and only her shoes. He also told me I was to never share the fact that I knew that with his wife. I'm frankly afraid to know what he would do, if I slipped up.

O/U for Glen to be peed on ? Vegas line has it at 2 days.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

When we got a dog for my daughter, we took it to puppy training. One of the things the trainer told us was that your dog will always tell you it has to go. You just have to learn what the signs are before they are house trained.

My wife watched the freaking dog like a hawk for about a month and the dog got trained.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Besides our golden retriever who was potty trained in about one week. We just had to keep an eye on the other ones when they were young and take them outside when they even looked like they were sniffing around. It takes time and patience.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
Balldog
Pro Rookie

In my experience puppies have been easier to house break than a dog over a year old but it can be done. We watch a lot of Dog Whisperer and learnt it is mostly positive reinforcement and treating the accidents in the house as such. If he goes inside just get him outside immediately and do not show any negative emotion or anger to the accident.

We had a perfectly potty trained dog that would just come right up to us and pee in the house to piss us off. Which was a result of the negative emotion and anger we showed him as a puppy.

We currently have a 2-yr old bulldog that was trained after 2 weeks and 15 wk old bull mastiff that is well on his way.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
law90026
College Benchwarmer

It was painful for us when we first got our lab.

We basically brought him downstairs on a schedule and would just walk him until he peed or pooped and rewarded him appropriately then. We slowly stretched out the schedule but it took a while. Accidents did happen of course (in which case we would immediately discipline in some fashion) but it paid off in the end (he goes half the day without having to pee/poop now, which was essential when my wife and I both worked).
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

With my GSD (11 months now), I put a bell at "doggie nose level" on a door leading to the backyard. Every couple of hours, I would ring the bell and take him outside to go potty. He eventually got in the habit of ringing the bell himself to let me know when it is time.
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm seriously lost here. Nothing seems to be really getting through. Just sort of goes when and where he wants. New dog, little over a year old, came from a shelter.

Any tips before I kill myself?

Patience and repetition
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
With my GSD (11 months now), I put a bell at "doggie nose level" on a door leading to the backyard. Every couple of hours, I would ring the bell and take him outside to go potty. He eventually got in the habit of ringing the bell himself to let me know when it is time.

whoa - cool!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah, we did this with both of our dogs, amazing how easy it is. Just ring the bell every time you take the dog outside through that door and in no time they ring it themselves to go out.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
Irrelevant Dude
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
It was painful for us when we first got our lab.
My lab puppy only pee'd in the house 1 time and has never done it since. I wish I could say that the rest of his behavior followed suit, but he is now 6 years old and is still a HUGE pain in the #$$.
Irrelevant Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFanCuddy View Post
My lab puppy only pee'd in the house 1 time and has never done it since. I wish I could say that the rest of his behavior followed suit, but he is now 6 years old and is still a HUGE pain in the #$$.

My dog is almost 7. He's really good about not going in the house. We can leave him alone for 6-8 hours and he won't have an accident. The only time he had one was when he had bad diarrhea and I didn't get up fast enough to get him out.

That said, he is still a special animal. He's like Happy Fun Ball when it comes to strangers. Whenver anyone comes to our house the first time, we have to instruct them to ignore the dog, do not make eye contact, do not try to pet him, or anything until he decides its time for such things (which he often indicates by simply taking his 70 lbs body and trying to curl in their lap).

Kids are out completely.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Thank you all for the help. I'm going to try the positive reinforcement thing even more. I'll lay it on real thick when he goes outside. Will ignore when he goes inside.

I guess what got me about this is he just doesn't seem to know better. It's not a marking thing or something he's ashamed of, he just thinks it's totally normal to lay a biscuit in the middle of the hallway. Going to order a good rug cleaner from Amazon today. If anyone has suggestions on that too, I'd be all ears.

Also, don't feed a non housebroken dog eggs.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
lungs
Pro Rookie

I threw my dog outside and never let him come back in the house. Problem solved.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #29
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I threw my dog outside and never let him come back in the house. Problem solved.

How does he lay on your lap while you take a nap with football on?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
How does he lay on your lap while you take a nap with football on?

He's too damn big for that, but he does try. It's a farm dog, so he enjoys the freedom of being able to run outside.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Yeah, we did this with both of our dogs, amazing how easy it is. Just ring the bell every time you take the dog outside through that door and in no time they ring it themselves to go out.

Did this too with my Springer Spaniels (~20 years ago) I trained to pheasant hunt, worked great. My second Springer would softly tap the bell to go out then sit and wait. If you didn't come in the "normal" amount of time she would BANG it loudly. Pretty funny.

A bit embarrassing but my current dog, a chocolate lab and a Nervous Nelly, was afraid of the bell so a "no-go" for her.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

Things have gotten a little better. Still the occasional accident but they seem to be getting less and less. Feels like he's gotten the hang of going outside and have been rewarding him right after he goes with a small treat.

Now have a new problem. The dog first off is the nicest dog you could ever meet. Just wants to play, rub up against you, be around people. You could hold his mouth shut if you wanted to without a problem.

The other day though he for the first time growled and bit my Mom. Now he's been over at her place a bunch as I've been doing some remodeling and like to drop him off. Plus my Mom likes the company and she's got a big yard for him to run around in. But for some reason I came in the door to pick him up after being at her house for the day and when my Mom reached down to grab a bag I had brought over for her he bit her in a somewhat vicious manner. It broke skin and everything. The dog immediately went back to normal like nothing happened.

I'm not sure where this came from. He's been perfect with everyone for almost a month now. Never an inkling of aggressiveness. He does do the playful nibbling but this was different. I don't know if this is normal or a bad sign. If it was a stranger I'd get it, or a weird situation I'd get it too. But I don't know if this is a dog acting out that needs more discipline, a random event that happens, or a sign of big problems down the road.