Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who should be inducted into the HOF?
Jack Morris 18 25.71%
Jeff Bagwell 34 48.57%
Lee Smith 15 21.43%
Tim Raines 40 57.14%
Alan Trammell 17 24.29%
Edgar Martinez 20 28.57%
Fred McGriff 7 10.00%
Larry Walker 8 11.43%
Mark McGwire 18 25.71%
Don Mattingly 7 10.00%
Dale Murphy 17 24.29%
Rafael Palmeiro 8 11.43%
Bernie Williams 2 2.86%
Barry Bonds 45 64.29%
Roger Clemens 44 62.86%
Mike Piazza 48 68.57%
Curt Schilling 28 40.00%
Kenny Lofton 6 8.57%
Craig Biggio 42 60.00%
Sammy Sosa 9 12.86%
David Wells 0 0%
Steve Finley 0 0%
Julio Franco 1 1.43%
Reggie Sanders 0 0%
Shawn Green 0 0%
Jeff Cirillo 1 1.43%
Woody Williams 0 0%
Rondell White 0 0%
Ryan Klesko 0 0%
Aaron Sele 0 0%
Roberto Hernandez 0 0%
Royce Clayton 0 0%
Jeff Conine 0 0%
Mike Stanton 0 0%
Sandy Alomar 2 2.86%
Jose Mesa 1 1.43%
Todd Walker 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #151
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Serious question...why do you think we have this outrage in baseball but not when it comes to the HoF for the other sports? Is it because of more interest in Cooperstown as this "hollowed ground" of our national pastime? Are the same debates happening in other sports, but we just don't hear them as much?

Baseball is more of a sport of individual achievement when compared to other major sports, so it is natural that baseball's HOF (which basically honors individual achievement) has more importance.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 01-11-2013 at 10:18 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #152
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

dola: i think every sportwriter should read Bill James' book "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame" before starting the same tired arguments decrying the HOF selection process. definitely one of my favorite baseball books.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 01-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #153
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What bothers me the most about the sports writers is how they romanticize about the players of the 60s and 70s as if they were above all this performance enhancing temptation. IE, "Mickey Mantle or Joe D never would have used steroids" and it's a bunch of hogwash. They did the same thing the guys in the 90s did and used the best drugs/technology available at the time to try and get ahead. They just didn't have access to the level of steroids/HGH/drugs that the players in the 90s did. If Sandy Kofax was willing to inject his elbow with 2-3 cortisone shots a year (even back then doctors knew this was risky) - are you telling me he wouldn't have taken the Andy Pettitte route and used HGH to recover in 2000 if he played then?

In the NFL, Jim Haslett is on record as saying that atleast half of NFL players in the 70s and early 80s took steroids. Yet, the NFL HOF didn't prevent guys in that era from entering the HOF - even though major records (Marino, Dickerson, Payton, ...) were set during that timeframe. It's a joke that the baseball writers are so pious about steroids in the baseball HOF when other sports don't care and "cheating" in other eras of baseball itself didn't seem to matter.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #154
Subby
lolzcat

How does someone like Griffey or Glavine avoid the PEDs taint? Just because they didn't balloon doesn't mean they never took something. Same with Maddux or Johnson.

PEDs aren't just about improved performance, they are also about injury prevention and recovery. I don't understand how you can incriminate so many of these guys from the 80s and 90s, but still pick and choose based on nothing more than spurious visual evidence and media narratives.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #155
Logan
Head Coach

Fucking Neifi Perez was popped for PEDs. There are other tiny, defensive-oriented players who have tested positive. Once those guys started dropping, it blew up that "eye test" argument.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #156
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Serious question...why do you think we have this outrage in baseball but not when it comes to the HoF for the other sports? Is it because of more interest in Cooperstown as this "hollowed ground" of our national pastime? Are the same debates happening in other sports, but we just don't hear them as much?

Because the voting for the Baseball HoF is the 2nd dumbest fucking system in sports (the BCS non-playoff is the dumbest, but that goes away soon). Idiots that didn't play the game get to vote in an absurd spectacle. That morons who "protest voted" only for Jack Morris get to keep their ballots shows just how stupid their whole system is.

Compare that with the NFL, where a smaller panel of selectors - some of whom *GASP* actually played the game - sit down, make presentations, debate/discuss candidates and then vote. The NFL ends up with a far more informed panel to select those worthy of the HoF. If someone refused to vote just because Joe Charboneau wasn't on the ballot, they'd be laughed/kicked off the panel because they wouldn't be worthy to vote.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #157
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The NFL panel is no better. Look at the bias to big markets and their continued refusal to put kickers in the HOF. Any process that relies on the whims of Peter King is ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #158
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Because the voting for the Baseball HoF is the 2nd dumbest fucking system in sports (the BCS non-playoff is the dumbest, but that goes away soon). Idiots that didn't play the game get to vote in an absurd spectacle. That morons who "protest voted" only for Jack Morris get to keep their ballots shows just how stupid their whole system is.

Then why do you care so much who gets in?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #159
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
How does someone like Griffey or Glavine avoid the PEDs taint? Just because they didn't balloon doesn't mean they never took something. Same with Maddux or Johnson.

PEDs aren't just about improved performance, they are also about injury prevention and recovery. I don't understand how you can incriminate so many of these guys from the 80s and 90s, but still pick and choose based on nothing more than spurious visual evidence and media narratives.

This has been my argument for years. There's no evidence that Maddux didn't take roids...in fact, his physique actually got "harder" over the years. Randy Johnson had a similar career "dip" as Clemens (both due to injury) and came back in his mid-to-late 30s with even more velocity (over 700 Ks at age 37 & 38).

Let's face it...it's likely that these guys took steroids. When we look at their profiles, their excellence that extended far into baseball "old age" as compared to other players in other eras, that guys like Ken Caminitti said more than half used 'roids when he played (and he had no reason to lie)...are people really so naive as to think that these guys didn't use at some point in their careers?

So, guys get punished because their felon trainer said they took 'roids (Clemens)? Because they supposedly had back acne (Piazza)? Becuase they don't pass the eyeball test (Bagwell)? Where do you draw the line on rumor, hearsay and spurious evidence?

I'm going to take it one step further. Fay Vincent's 1991 supposedly drew the line at "illegal drugs" with his memo (though not an official rule), but steroids were legal with a prescription under the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990. If any players used 'roids in the mid 90s under such a prescription, they didn't commit an illegal act. Other 'roids, like Andro, were legal when guys like McGwire took it. No rule breaking there, either. So molson, your assumptions about creatine don't hold true. There definitiely has been some ex post facto rule-making here about being "worthy" for the HoF.

What I know is this - a HoF without a top-5 hitter, without its best pitcher in a century and without its leading batter isn't a HoF at all.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #160
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Then why do you care so much who gets in?

"The electorial college system is stupid."
"Then why do you care who is President?"

You might want to think about the question before asking it next time.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #161
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fucking Neifi Perez was popped for PEDs. There are other tiny, defensive-oriented players who have tested positive. Once those guys started dropping, it blew up that "eye test" argument.

Just imagine how awful he would have been if he hadn't used.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #162
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What I know is this - a HoF without a top-5 hitter, without its best pitcher in a century and without its leading batter isn't a HoF at all.

Snuck in a different situation there. Just sayin'

SI

Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #163
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And a HOF with pieces of shit like Bonds and a lying sumbitch like Clemens in it ought to be burned to the fucking ground.

There, we've now staked out our positions.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #164
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And a HOF with pieces of shit like Bonds and a lying sumbitch like Clemens in it ought to be burned to the fucking ground.

There, we've now staked out our positions.

Would you want it burned down if the integrity/sportsmanship clauses were removed from the voting criteria?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would you want it burned down if the integrity/sportsmanship clauses were removed from the voting criteria?

I'd find it less interesting/worthwhile.

Consistent with my declining interest in the NFL being directly related to Ray Lewis, Mike Vick, etc etc.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #166
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I'd find it less interesting/worthwhile.

Consistent with my declining interest in the NFL being directly related to Ray Lewis, Mike Vick, etc etc.

weird. To me, a HOF filled with Dale Murphys is infinitely less interesting than a HOF filled with Barry Bonds, Pete Roses, Ty Cobbs, etc.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #167
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There are a lot of bonds, McGwire et al stuff at the baseball museum. They just don't deserve a plaque.

You're wrong, blackie, the nfl hof is an even worse joke than the baseball hof.

Lighthouse is correct. Much of my negative attitudes about the hof is based on James' book and why I said what the vet committee did in the 60s and 70s was bad.

But is incredible to me that there are those that want to perpetuate the mess by not only adding blatant cheaters but to admit even more marginal players.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #168
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
There are a lot of bonds, McGwire et al stuff at the baseball museum. They just don't deserve a plaque.

You're wrong, blackie, the nfl hof is an even worse joke than the baseball hof.

Lighthouse is correct. Much of my negative attitudes about the hof is based on James' book and why I said what the vet committee did in the 60s and 70s was bad.

But is incredible to me that there are those that want to perpetuate the mess by not only adding blatant cheaters but to admit even more marginal players.

I agree with you regarding the Baseball vs. Pro Football Halls of Fame. But it's bullshit that we are penalizing the PED guys as compared to all the guys we lionize that took amphetamines like it was going out of style. For what it's worth, offense depressed more after amphetamines were banned than it did when PED testing and punishment started.

I really don't care what self-righteous indignation Goose Gossage, Frank Robinson or Reggie Jackson have about PED users who they feel diminish their accomplishments. It's just the modern version of the "old ballplayers never die" sections from Bill James' historical baseball abstract.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #169
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
weird. To me, a HOF filled with Dale Murphys is infinitely less interesting than a HOF filled with Barry Bonds, Pete Roses, Ty Cobbs, etc.

""""""""".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #170
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But we didn't see a bunch of players all of a sudden increase their hr totals by 30-50% for multiple seasons. That would not have occurred naturally as the past 5 seasons have shown. The steroid era stands out as by far the biggest aberration on the game since babe Ruth. I'm glad that it is over with and results have returned to the predictable level before the aberration and those that obviously contributed to the mockery will not be rewarded with a plaque 'honoring' their dubious achievements.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #171
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I guess some of you have never been to the national baseball museum. Do so before yapping about the lack of bonds, Cobb, and rose displays. Whole display cases of them are interesting.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #172
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Who really cares. We dont get to vote anyway.

I care more about the FOFC MLB Hall of Fame. Seems to have more qualified voters at least.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #173
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like a fun poll series

SI

Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #174
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Who really cares. We dont get to vote anyway.

I care more about the FOFC MLB Hall of Fame. Seems to have more qualified voters at least.

yeah but currently has 0 members.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #175
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
But we didn't see a bunch of players all of a sudden increase their hr totals by 30-50% for multiple seasons. That would not have occurred naturally as the past 5 seasons have shown. The steroid era stands out as by far the biggest aberration on the game since babe Ruth. I'm glad that it is over with and results have returned to the predictable level before the aberration and those that obviously contributed to the mockery will not be rewarded with a plaque 'honoring' their dubious achievements.

This is bullshit of the highest order, and you ought to get called on it.

Home Run Rates in 1998 and 2012 | FanGraphs Baseball
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #176
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
lying sumbitch like Clemens in it ought to be burned to the fucking ground.

citation needed

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #177
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Don't bother with facts. The lynch mob is still in full swing.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #178
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

One thing I've always wondered Bout is how much impact expansion had on this. Expansion in 1993...jump. Then stabilization. In 1998, expansion and then another jump.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #179
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
One thing I've always wondered Bout is how much impact expansion had on this. Expansion in 1993...jump. Then stabilization. In 1998, expansion and then another jump.

That's always been one of the theories out there. However, the hitting talent is diluted just like the pitching talent from expansion. That basically implies it's harder to throw at a MLB level than hit at an MLB level. I'm not really sure how to quantify that, tho.

SI

Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #180
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

SteroidsEra was from 1998-2006, not just one year. Those years where higher than the past five years, which is what I said.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #181
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

LMAO. So this guy does all this work to provide us with data from 1993-2012 and then provides a conclusion based on two individual years in that time span. Using that guy's own numbers:

1993-97: 3.52%
1998-06: 3.84%
2007-12: 3.58%

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #182
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Look, I am not condenming everyone who played during those years, just the ones showing up in the the red circle below. Got it?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #183
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Not following too closely here, but is the consensus that PEDs didn't help pitchers or that there just is not a neat stat like home runs that can quantify its effect?

The era of the greatest performance enhancing has to be when white hitters and pitchers were purposely shielded from facing often superior black players.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #184
PilotMan
Head Coach

This might as well be the best thread to put this:

I hadn't really heard of this yes. I find it interesting that players already retired aren't grandfathered in and that the limits don't start moving forward.

Hall Of Fame Eligibility Rule Change Bones "Poster Boys" Of Steroid Era

Basically, retired players now only have 10 years of eligibility instead of 15. I really think it changes the decision making process for who is going in and who isn't.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #185
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I don't think those steroid guys would be going in anyway but it certainly hurts them - especially McGwire.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #186
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Fuck the BBWA
Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And a group well-deserving of said treatment afaic.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #188
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, fuck Tim Raines.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #189
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Yeah, fuck Tim Raines.

You're really expecting sympathy for a guy who carried a vial of cocaine around in his uniform?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #190
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I don't think anyone would expect sympathy from you for kittens in a microwave.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I don't think anyone would expect sympathy from you for kittens in a microwave.

I like kittens tyvm.

(resists temptation to make a "... in a lovely red wine sauce" joke)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #192
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
You're really expecting sympathy for a guy who carried a vial of cocaine around in his uniform?

Tim Raines was a customer of the then future Mrs PM, at the bank where she worked, when we were in FL. When we got married her gift to me was a signed ball and a couple of cards from him. She said he was a really nice guy. Shaq's mom was also super nice, but Lee Corso was a dick.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote