Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2003, 01:55 AM   #51
TLK
Pro Starter

and here's the rest

http://www.crapwagon.com

Last edited by TLK : 12-15-2003 at 08:43 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:30 PM   #52
FishFan
College Prospect

Why would anyone pay that much cash for a racing series destined for failure?
FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 05:10 PM   #53
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FishFan
Why would anyone pay that much cash for a racing series destined for failure?

deep breath......

What exactly do you mean doomed for failure?

Last edited by TLK : 09-12-2003 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:21 PM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
CART does have a much bigger overseas following. But F1 is king. Over here in Europe, the F1 fans put any of the NASCAR fanboys to shame. I'm going to Monza on Sunday, and they are expecting over ONE MILLION people in the area, even though only about 80,000 can actually get to the race track. And it was the same in May at Monte Carlo.

I guess it's kinda like soccer. It's a sport the world outside the US loves. Driving in circles (don't get me wrong, I do like NASCAR, but not as much as road circuits) just doesn't click with racing fans world-wide.

Give me open-wheel at Laguna Seca over stockcars at Texas Motor Speedway anyday.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:01 PM   #55
FishFan
College Prospect

The series is already on one leg and the IRL keeps gaining popularity. I don't like Tony George any more than the next guy, but the IRL has gained more in the past couple of years than CART. It's only a matter of time, now, although this purchase may save them a few more years.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:56 PM   #56
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FishFan
The series is already on one leg and the IRL keeps gaining popularity. I don't like Tony George any more than the next guy, but the IRL has gained more in the past couple of years than CART. It's only a matter of time, now, although this purchase may save them a few more years.

I have to disagree. The IRL and CART pretty much have the same network TV ratings (sans the Indy 500). CART's attendance is sooo much greater than the EARL's it's not even funny. Both series race at Fontana over the next month or so, so that'll be a good comparison.

CART's purchase might not be the end-all to the problems. However, they a fan-base that is loyal and actually gets out to the races. The new owners plan on tying in concerts to bring even more people out. In Miami in a few weeks, they have Kid Rock and Elton John preforming. It may not be the solution, but it's a step in the right direction.....

Back to the EARL though, If anything they're losing their fan-base....

The light (orange-yellowish) line shows the Super Bowls ratings, while the dark line shows the ratings of the Indy 500.

Take note of the decline in 1996, and how they've never recovered from CART breaking off. Also take a look at how the ratings how been on a downward tread, so their really no gaining any popularity, rather losing it.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:05 PM   #57
TLK
Pro Starter

bump for FishFan...........
Old 09-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #58
FishFan
College Prospect

Television ratings are a horrible statistic to base anything off of. There are simply too many entertainment options now as more and more channels pop up. As long as there are more options, of course ratings are going to be down.

You can make the same argument about the Super Bowl since it has shown a decline in ratings over the years.

I know what I know from the Indianapolis media, which is fairly biased towards the IRL, of course, but they are still hard on the owners of IMS. I would be personally surprised if CART is still around in five years because sooner or later, open wheel racing can only support one circuit and the IRL has become politcally more powerful. CART will eventually fold or the two circuits will merge again, with the IRL dictating the merger.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:45 PM   #59
TLK
Pro Starter

There Will Be A 2004 Season

Quote:

OWRS Completes Assets Purchase posted on 12-15 21:32

LANSING, Mich. (Dec. 15, 2003) – Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC (“Open Wheel”) has completed its negotiations with CART, Inc. and Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc. to purchase specific assets, including contracts with promoters, sponsors, and teams, through the planned Chapter 11 bankruptcy process of CART, Inc. This agreement allows for the continuation of the 2004 Champ Car World Series season.

Open Wheel will begin the immediate planning and implementation of the operational details required to conduct the Champ Car World Series in 2004 as the closing of the transaction continues. The closing of the transaction is subject to certain closing conditions including the approval of the bankruptcy court.

“Our goal throughout this process was for an expedient resolution so our teams and sponsors could proceed with full confidence,” said Paul Gentilozzi, an Open Wheel partner. “We’re extremely grateful to all of the sponsors, teams, promoters, and fans that have expressed their ongoing encouragement. Their loyalty has been phenomenal; they’ve stayed with us throughout this initiative and have supported us at every turn.

“Effective immediately, we’re ready to begin work to implement our vision for Champ Car in 2004 and for many seasons beyond,” explained Gentilozzi. “Our purchase was with the express intent of supporting our teams and sponsors competing now and in the future.

“Therefore, as a show of strength and good faith, Open Wheel has accepted the liability of almost $2.7 million in 2003 prize monies which we will pay to our teams that elect to participate in the 2004 Champ Car season,” revealed Gentilozzi.

“There’s been a great deal of speculation about car count for next year,” continued Gentilozzi. “We talk to our teams on a daily basis and we’re more than confident that we’ll have a full field of cars in 2004. In addition, we anticipate new team and driver announcements in the very near future.”

Kevin Kalkhoven, an Open Wheel partner and co-owner of PK Racing, was instrumental in the acquisition process. “This was an extremely complex deal,” noted Kalkhoven, former CEO of JDS Uniphase, a leading global supplier of components and modules for advanced fiber optic telecommunications networks. “I pride myself in my knowledge and expertise in acquisitions and mergers, but I was surprised by the complexity of the transaction.

“But I’m positive the agreed upon format is definitely the correct one and one which will allow our Series to grow and flourish in 2004 and beyond,” added Kalkhoven.

OWRS partner Gerald Forsythe has had a long emotional and financial commitment to the Champ Car World Series and is convinced that the asset purchase agreement was key to ensure the Series’ future. “This was absolutely the right move for the future and longevity of Champ Car,” commented Forsythe, who co-owns Team Player’s and is a limited partner of the BAR Formula One team. “I have every confidence that this decision will prove successful.”

In a related move, Open Wheel nominee Richard P. Eidswick has been appointed as CEO of CART, Inc. to see the organization through the Chapter 11 proceedings. During the transition, Eidswick will report to the CART Board of Directors.

Eidswick is co-founder and Managing Director of Arbor Partners, an Ann Arbor, Mich.-based venture capital firm which primarily invests in companies focused on the creation of next-generation application software and communication technologies. In addition to capital, Arbor Partners offers clients a comprehensive set of business-building resources including assistance with strategic planning, development of product and marketing strategies, and the establishment of corporate partnerships.

“I’m confident that the Champ Car World Series will emerge from the bankruptcy process stronger than ever,” said Eidswick. “I look forward to working with all parties involved to build on our strengths and explore new opportunities as we position Champ Car for 2004 and beyond.”

The Champ Car World Series 2004 racing season begins on April 18 with its 22nd running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Reigning Champ Car Drivers’ Champion Paul Tracy will return to defend his 2003 Long Beach win.

Last edited by TLK : 12-15-2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #60
TLK
Pro Starter

AHHHHHH----

Quote:
Indy Racing League Looking Into CART Buyout
Mon January 12, 2004 05:58 PM ET

By Lewis Franck

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Indy Racing League (IRL) is considering a buyout of the assets of the rival Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) series, an IRL spokesman said on Monday.

Fred Nation, executive vice-president of communications of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and IRL, said no offers had been made yet but the organization had sent a team to CART headquarters in Indianapolis to review the assets.

The CART series, which broke away from Indianapolis in 1978 and went public in 1998, filed for bankruptcy last year and is scheduled to have a hearing leading to the sale of its assets in the last week of this month.

The IRL started its own series in 1995, which includes the prestigious Indianapolis 500, and since then CART has suffered from the defection of major teams and manufacturers to their rivals.

Last year the Open Wheel Racing Series (OWRS) made an offer to buy CART's assets and a U.S. Federal Judge imposed a deadline of January 23 for alternative offers.

CART operates a successful street course races in the Canadian cities of Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal as well as at Long Beach, California.

The IRL, until now an all oval series, have stated interest in selected street races and Nation said that starting in 2005 the IRL would have a limited number of them on the calendar.

"There are a lot of interesting assets for sale at reasonable prices," Nation added.

In addition to races, technical equipment and a state of the art mobile hospital will be up for grabs at the sale of assets, which is scheduled for January 28.

OWRS officials were not available for comment on Monday.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #61
Dutch
"Dutch"

So the feud between Tony George and the Owners is finally ending. With Tony George winning. Now he can stop the charade, put Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Road America, and hopefully some of the other cool CART circuits with the IRL, and Open Wheel Racing in the US can get back on track.

Hopefully the IRL does a better job of selling the series as a whole than IRL or CART did seperately.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #62
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
AHHHHHH----

If the IRL takes over CART, that will kill my interest in American Open Wheel racing.

My interest in F1 has been waning over the last 8 years or so, as the races have become deathly dull and any driver with an ounce of personality is shoved out the door.

Looks like I will be watching Aussie V8's and the WRC this year.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:14 PM   #63
TLK
Pro Starter

I heard an interview today with Robin Miller who said that Tony George may just be buying CART to kill it. The plan would then be for the IRL to go road racing in 2005. This would force the CART teams to come race for the IRL this season, and help their car count (which is at 17-18). The Trans-Am series would run Long Beach this year.

I'm going to wait and see what happens here. I will say though, I'm out too, if the IRL takes over CART.

Last edited by TLK : 01-13-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #64
TLK
Pro Starter

Paul Gentilozzi says not so fast....

Quote:
CART bidder not happy with IRL moves
OWRS group is determined to thwart Tony George's efforts.

By Steve Ballard
[email protected]
January 13, 2004

News that the rival Indy Racing League is considering bidding for assets of the bankrupt Championship Auto Racing Teams series has left the group of CART team owners whose bid already is in place more determined than ever to succeed.

Paul Gentilozzi said Tuesday that he and Open Wheel Racing Series partners Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven emerged from two days of meetings prepared to do and spend whatever is necessary to get their offer accepted by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Indianapolis.

"We're here for the duration. We're not at all intimidated," Gentilozzi said. "We have put thousands of hours into this transaction. We're not going to pack our bags just because some guy is looking to buy a few computers and trailers."

Gentilozzi said he and his partners learned last week that IRL president Tony George had dispatched league officials to inspect the racing assets of CART. George visited CART's local headquarters Monday night.

News of the IRL's interest became public late Monday.

"Obviously, it caught me by surprise since Tony told me months ago he didn't plan to get involved," Gentilozzi said. "He obviously has one thing in mind: to close it down and get rid of the competition. This 11th-hour involvement doesn't seem very honorable to me."

The IRL has until Jan. 23 to submit an offer to the court. Judge Frank Otte has scheduled a sales hearing for Jan. 28 to consider all bids and resolve any outstanding issues concerning the sale.

At the most recent hearing Dec. 29, an attorney for California Speedway -- which faces dueling lawsuits with CART over cancellation of the 2003 season-ending race -- told the court he also represented another potential buyer which he later identified as 88 Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of International Speedway Corp.

But Tuesday, ISC spokesman David Talley said "ISC has no present interest in acquiring the assets of CART."

The OWRS offer is for $1.6 million. It also has agreed to assume certain liabilities, primarily prize money owed to teams, that would push the total to around $3 million.

The judge is not obligated to accept the highest bid and is driven by what is best for the company. Since the OWRS group intends to keep the series going, that could work to its advantage with the court.

But the IRL can argue that no reincarnation of a bankrupt series is likely to succeed, and in the long run open-wheel racing and those who make a living from it will benefit from having it exist as one series. The sport has seen a steady decline in popularity since it split into two factions in 1996.

Gentilozzi vehemently rejects that notion. "This isn't about unification," he said. "Tony doesn't want to create one series. He wants to kill one series."

But IRL vice president Fred Nation said the IRL can't kill something that technically is already dead.

"CART's already out of business and has announced its intention not to run the series next year," he said. "The assets of a bankrupt CART are for sale, and since we're looking to go road racing in the next few years, it's a chance for us to buy certain things we're going to have to buy anyway."

Nation reiterated the IRL has made no decision and won't until it completes careful study of CART's existing contracts, which it is allowed to do under a confidentiality agreement. Gentilozzi contends the IRL "doesn't understand the terms of the transaction" and faces a barrage of multimillion-dollar lawsuits if it were to break contracts with suppliers, sponsors and promoters.

"That could be the case and that's exactly why we're performing serious due diligence," Nation said. "We have historically been cautious and methodical in how we approach things. We could well determine this does not make good sense for us."

Finally some good news....
Old 01-13-2004, 11:11 PM   #65
Craptacular
College Starter

Is there any way we can get Tony George arrested for terrorism?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:45 AM   #66
TLK
Pro Starter

Pics from the Detroit Auto Show

Old 01-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #67
FishFan
College Prospect

From what I've heard in Indy, the IRL is only looking to buy some assets. The CART Series was run into the ground and they have things that any racing series would want. I don't see what the big deal about this is. Tony George is not out to kill CART - it's already dead. That's why George struggled with the decision to enter a bid - he did not want to be viewed as someone out to kill an already dead racing series. From a business standpoint, this is a no-brainer for George. He can get some assets that the IRL needs (including the rights to four road races at various sites like Long Beach and Mexico) at a discount price. Why wouldn't he do it? It's too bad that people are still so upset over the split that happened what, 10 years ago? The IRL is here to stay and the CART could not stay above water, financially.

FWIW, the International Speedway Corp. is also interested in purchasing some assets. If you guys are hoping for the OWRS to just get up and running without any problems, then you are going to be disappointed. This is a business.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #68
FishFan
College Prospect

Dola. After reading that second article, I see it points out some of my points...
Old 01-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #69
clintl
College Starter

So for close to a decade of warfare, the result might be that Tony George ends with total control of a series that is going to be just like CART was, but with inferior, cheaper cars? Exactly what was the point of all this, other than to George's megalomania?
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:35 PM   #70
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
So for close to a decade of warfare, the result might be that Tony George ends with total control of a series that is going to be just like CART was, but with inferior, cheaper cars? Exactly what was the point of all this, other than to George's megalomania?

Exactly. Every single statement he made when he started the series has been altered. If he thinks he's going to gain fans by not having any competiton he's wrong. If anything he may upset some of current IRL fanbase by staying from the "we don't turn right" format.

For the record, yes, CART is dead. But if TG doesn't interfere, there will there be a ChampCar race at Long Beach this year.....

Edit: Can't spell today...

Last edited by TLK : 01-14-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #71
clintl
College Starter

You know, Tony George might be the only guy in all of sports that can make George Steinbrenner and Al Davis look benign.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #72
TLK
Pro Starter

Another quote from Gentilozzi:
Quote:
"I'm sure his intention is to buy a bunch of used racing equipment in an effort to make sure we can't race," Gentilozzi said. "It won't work. My view is, we're going into the last lap and he's a lap down. He doesn't know he can't win."

This is going to get interesting....
Old 01-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #73
FishFan
College Prospect

I'm staying out of this one.

Who thinks who is a lap down? Amazing...
Old 01-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FishFan -- it took me a second to sort out the players, but best I can tell, the "lap down" comment came from one of the previous bidders for the CART assets.

I assume it referred to George being late in the bidding process, not to IRL being a lap down to CART or anything like that.

At least, I hope that's what was meant. Otherwise, this Gentilozzi must be some sort of idiot.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:12 PM   #75
TLK
Pro Starter

Jon is right.... sorry I didn't post the whole article but I was in a hurry.... here's the article.....

Quote:

Portland gets deadline to commit to CART race

The head of a group trying to buy the bankrupt series isn't afraid of a potential IRL bid for CART's assets

01/14/04

PAUL BUKER

If the Indy Racing League makes a successful bid for CART's assets, where does that leave Paul Gentilozzi and his partners?

And where does that leave Portland?

Out in the cold, obviously. But Gentilozzi, a CART team owner, said Tuesday he is confident that his group will have control of the troubled racing series after a Jan. 28 hearing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Indianapolis.

Gentilozzi still has Portland penciled in for June 20 on a tentative CART schedule that calls for the season opener April 18 in Long Beach, Calif.

Portland promoter Mike Nealy has been trying to find a major sponsor and gather enough community support to keep the race, which began in 1984. But Nealy's effort has been hurt by the uncertainty of CART's future and the confusion over who will control a series that might not exist in three weeks.

Meanwhile, Gentilozzi said another venue wants Portland's race dates, and, "We aren't going to wait forever. We're going to hang here until we get through the first of February, when we know if we own (CART). So a kind of D-Day for Portland would be Feb. 1. . . . I'm a little confused about Portland. . . . I'm not sure what's happening there."

Gentilozzi said he was mildly surprised at Monday's announcement that Tony George's IRL might make a competing bid for CART's assets. All bids must be submitted by Jan. 23, and Gentilozzi said, "They can't conceivably get prepared to do this in 10 days or less. We've spent thousands of man-hours on this."

The threat of the IRL buying and dismantling CART does not scare Gentilozzi.

"I'm sure his intention is to buy a bunch of used racing equipment in an effort to make sure we can't race," Gentilozzi said. "It won't work. My view is, we're going into the last lap and he's a lap down. He doesn't know he can't win."

Portland city officials have signed off on a 2004 race, assuming Nealy can close the deal with Gentilozzi.

"We want CART to come, and we're still holding a date for them," said Kevin Jeans Gail, the chief of staff for City Commissioner Jim Francesconi, who oversees the Parks Bureau. "We've done what they've asked of us. We've lowered (rental) fees, the Rose Festival has sacrificed, and we've sent a positive message we want them to come to Portland."
Old 01-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #76
TLK
Pro Starter

Off the topic of the merger, but this goes to the character of the IRL and Mr. George.....

Quote:
"Engine parts must be available to any competitor at a controlled price, so that has not changed," Mehl said. "We will not allow manufacturers to lease them. That's a difference between what CART does and what we do. If you lease an engine, you don't know what's inside of it, and there's two or three different kinds of them out there being raced. That's not what we're looking for. We don't call that a level playing field. The only way that I'll get my guys to believe that they've got the same thing as that guy, is if they can open this thing up and look inside of it. We will not allow leased engines."
IRL executive director Leo Mehl on November 17, 1998

Without Honda and Toyota's engine leasing program, the IRL would of had exactly six cars racing in 2003

Quote:
"We anticipate that many of the driving champions attending Champions Day will someday try their hand at driving a Pep Boys IRL car at the Speedway," Nation said. "The IRL is committed to assisting these drivers in reaching the next level in their careers."
IMS vice president of corporate communications and public relations, Fred Nation

In 1998, the Speedway/IRL boys hosted something called "Champions Day," a short-lived attempt to bring short-track sprint guys to IMS for exposure. This experiment at getting them rides in the IRL failed, of course, but the quotes are amusing. I believe the IRL will have exactly one USAC driver in next year's field. Following up on this....

Quote:
"Take Billy Boat, for example. I've watched Billy all of his career. He's 31 now. I think He will turn out to be one of the finest talents that Indy Car racing has ever seen/ John Menard, who put Tony Stewart in his car at Orlando, asked me where I'd found him, and I was reported to have said "I have 10 more, 20 more just like him" and I do. But it's not me, it's America's short tracks. Our driver A-list includes not only the USAC sprint and midget drivers, but also those from WOO where there are a number of splendid drivers."
Cary Agajanian, USAC VP in charge of the IRL. August 1996 Racer Magazine.

and a more recent quote from the aforementioned Mr. Boat....

Quote:
"I'd still like to do something in the IRL, and I'm still talking to Panther," Boat said. "Unfortunately, there's very limited opportunities."
Driver Billy Boat

Limited opportunities because the rides that are available are those that went to foreigners and ride-buyers. Not exactly the original vision....

Quote:
"There were a lot of factors at work. One was the rising cost of Indy Car racing. Another was the road racing bent of that organization. Some of it had to do with the make up of the owners themselves. There were myriad factors that contributed to this change. Then we began to see an internationalization of CART, which is becoming stronger every day.

"Now Indianapolis always had a tradition of welcoming foreign drivers, so I'm certainly not being xenophobic. The great foreign champions really added to the show. That will always happen. We will always encourage it. But NOT to the exclusion of American drivers.

"Last year there were more foreign drivers than Americans. There were six rookies in the race last year, and all of them were foreign. The speedway saw that trend; I think Tony tried to get CART to understand what the Speedway's concern is about the makeup of the product they were bringing to the 500. And I knew from day one - as an outside observer during this time that they were never going to find any middle ground.
Cary Agajanian, USAC VP in charge of the IRL. August 1996 Racer Magazine

Is it me or does this perfectly explain the situation that the IRL is in today....

Quote:
"The IRL was created for inclusion not exclusion -- and certainly not to be in direct conflict with or to replace any series already in existence. Toward that end, invitations to the 1996 Indianapolis 500 remain open to those caught in the web of Monday's announcement."
Tony George, President, Indianapolis Motor Speedway (11-19-95)

Scratching my head over this one.... He would later announce a 25/8 rule that would insure that 25 of the 33 spots for the Indy 500 would go to IRL drivers. I'll stay away from the we're not trying to replace any series, even though that is what's going on now....

Quote:
"CART's had a good run," George said. "But we're looking to knock CART or NASCAR or Formula One off the top, too."

George sometimes speaks in convoluted language, and The translation was that he meant not only to topple CART from its pinnacle, but NASCAR and F1 from theirs, too.

"It wasn't meant to be a shot across anyone's bow," George says now. "Everybody asked me what my vision is for the IRL five or 10 years from now, and I stated that we want to be the premier racing series in the world."
Tony George in the "IRL Suddenly Has Become A Force", Orlando Sentinal, September 15, 2002

This is my favorite. If you subtract the Indy 500 from the schedule, the IRL wasn't even the most watched open-wheel series in America. The fact is they can't draw flies to a race outside of Texas and Indy without season-ticket packages that include NASCAR. I'll feel bad for ole' TG when Toyota gets into NASCAR and they bolt the IRL. To compare the IRL to NASCAR and F1 is hilarious.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:07 AM   #77
FishFan
College Prospect

A lot changes in seven, eight years, doesn't it? Of course the landscape of racing and the IRL will change from year-to-year. Racing changed from year-to-year before the birth of the IRL. You could take quotes for any industry 7-8 years ago and point out flaws in people's vision. It's business. I don't see the point of all of this?

As for the last quote, I would hope Tony George would hope the IRL is the premier racing series in five to ten years. Even though it wouldn't happen, you need to be optimistic about the future of the series. If you just concede to NASCAR and F1, you will fail Just ask CART about that.

It's amazing that people are still bitter over the split that happened almost 10 years ago. I was bitter when it happned, but continued to watch both series' over the next few years until CART got so boring I couldn't stand it anymore. The IRL had more exciting races and as more and more drivers made the jump to IRL, I had no other reason to even tune into a CART race.

I'm not saying the IRL is the premier racing series in the world, but they have definitely put on a better show than CART over the past two years.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:09 AM   #78
FishFan
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
FishFan -- it took me a second to sort out the players, but best I can tell, the "lap down" comment came from one of the previous bidders for the CART assets.

I assume it referred to George being late in the bidding process, not to IRL being a lap down to CART or anything like that.

At least, I hope that's what was meant. Otherwise, this Gentilozzi must be some sort of idiot.

That makes sense, then.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:44 PM   #79
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFan
A lot changes in seven, eight years, doesn't it? Of course the landscape of racing and the IRL will change from year-to-year. Racing changed from year-to-year before the birth of the IRL. You could take quotes for any industry 7-8 years ago and point out flaws in people's vision. It's business. I don't see the point of all of this?

As for the last quote, I would hope Tony George would hope the IRL is the premier racing series in five to ten years. Even though it wouldn't happen, you need to be optimistic about the future of the series. If you just concede to NASCAR and F1, you will fail Just ask CART about that.

It's amazing that people are still bitter over the split that happened almost 10 years ago. I was bitter when it happned, but continued to watch both series' over the next few years until CART got so boring I couldn't stand it anymore. The IRL had more exciting races and as more and more drivers made the jump to IRL, I had no other reason to even tune into a CART race.

I'm not saying the IRL is the premier racing series in the world, but they have definitely put on a better show than CART over the past two years.

I guess the whole point is that the IRL is turning into the exact same thing CART was when Tony George pulled out. He has shown no consistency over the years. Am I bitter? Yes. George took what was once the best series in the world and turned Open Wheel racing into the mess it's in today.

The drivers "jumped to the IRL" were forced by their contracts with their owner or engine manufacturer. Ask Scott Dixon or Dario Franchetti. I can't name one driver that came from CART that wasn't bound by a contract (I guess Manning this year). Dixon and Manning (and I guess Franchetti) have hopes of getting into F-1, and I feel bad for them because they'll never get there through the IRL.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't watch IRL races. The cars are ugly and the engines sound like crap. You have to love all the debris yellows at the end of the races. They love to bunch the field up so they can have the last lap photo finish and maybe get on SportsCenter. Thumbs Up Tony.

How about safety. Wanna know how many CART drivers missed races due to injury this year..... 1 and it was a mild concussion. The IRL had 11 injuries, all which were more serious than a concussion including a fatality. What was the IRL's fix to this.... they reduced speeds by about 5 mph and made no changes to the body of the car. Kenny Brack is lucky he's still alive and I really think (despite what he says) that we won't see him in an IRL car ever again. I wish I could say the same for Tony Renna.

There's one very important thing that Mr. George has to realize if he buys CART's assets...... CART's fans don't come with them.....
Old 01-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #80
TLK
Pro Starter

I don't know how much to read into this, as I'm not a lawyer.... but if this is true this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Quote:
Major tactical error by the IRL Many readers have written to ask what we meant when we said the IRL has made a major tactical error in making an attempt to bid for CART's assets. Let us explain. The IRL had to sign a non-disclosure agreement in order to peer into all of CART's assets, including their race contracts, which is what the IRL is really after, at least the key ones. Assuming OWRS prevails on the 28th, which we have no reason to believe they won't, the IRL has now locked themselves out of stealing any of CART's existing races for a period, of we believe, 15 years (the terms of the non-disclosure agreement). By having seen the contracts they have confidential information. If the IRL attempts to talk to any of CART's existing promoters about taking over a CART race and replacing it with an IRL race, OWRS will immediately sue them for violation of the non-disclosure agreement for they would have had access to the terms of the existing contract and can use that to their advantage in trying to outbid OWRS. We suspect the IRL will regret what they have done for quite some time.....15 years to be exact. Mark C.

From the paid subscription part of AutoRacing1.com
Old 01-16-2004, 12:18 AM   #81
TLK
Pro Starter

Here's a link with the history of the CART/Indy Car/IRL split for anyone that's interested.....

hXXp://www.netaxs.com/~gg1/race/cartirl.htm

Last edited by TLK : 01-16-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:02 AM   #82
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

What made CART so great? I love that series in the heyday. Long Beach, Indy, Cleveland, ect. Can a CART-like series exist anymore, or a start-up with the same idea compete?

Also, what's the deal with Formula One? Have they fallen alittle as well? Isn't their rumor a new series to challenge them? Also, why are they not on tv anymore, and is success in the states rising with the addition of Indy? Why do they not run ovals at all?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #83
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Here's a link with the history of the CART/Indy Car/IRL split for anyone that's interested.....

hXXp://www.netaxs.com/~gg1/race/cartirl.htm

From that site, I found this tidbid quite interesting:

May 1993: Emerson Fittipaldi refuses traditional milk drink after winning the 500 and substitutes orange juice, drawing much criticism.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #84
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Bump...
Old 01-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #85
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
What made CART so great? I love that series in the heyday. Long Beach, Indy, Cleveland, ect. Can a CART-like series exist anymore, or a start-up with the same idea compete?

A startup series isn't the answer now. Up until last week, I was behind a merger, now I'm really not sure with the crap Tony George was pulling this week. This would be the ideal merger....
  • One series that races both on Oval and Road/Street courses. A healthy mix of maybe 8 ovals and 12 road/street courses would work for me. Only the strong survive. If your event doesn't draw, we don't renew your contract.
  • Tony George has no part in running the day-to-day operation.....
  • A non-team owner needs to be put in the position of CEO
  • The cars need to be safe. The crapwagon's aren't cutting it.
  • 28 car fields with the exception of Indy which gets their 33. If there's more then 28 cars at an event, let's make qualifying count with only the top 28 getting into the race.
  • Use CART's scoring. You shouldn't receive points for just showing up.
  • Promote American drivers. If assistance is given to some owners, (as is happening in both CART/IRL now) persuade them to put an American in the car. Having said that, the International rivalry is important too. Ideally, I'd like to see a minimum of 8 to 10 Americans for each race.
  • A better television package that anything CART/IRL have now.

That's off the top of my head..... I'm sure I'll have more to add later....

Quote:
Also, what's the deal with Formula One? Have they fallen alittle as well? Isn't their rumor a new series to challenge them? Also, why are they not on tv anymore, and is success in the states rising with the addition of Indy? Why do they not run ovals at all?

Formula 1 won't be bigger in America, until they get an American driver in the field. The Indy attendance has gone down year by year. I'm not a fan of the track setup that they use there, but that is one race I'd like to see in person. They don't run ovals because their smart. Ovals are mostly only popular in the US and the risk of injury is so much greater. I believe there is the ASCAR series in Europe that runs ovals, but that's about it.

Last edited by TLK : 01-16-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #86
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Formula One seems to run very specific track designs. How come they only run one street circuit?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #87
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Formula One seems to run very specific track designs. How come they only run one street circuit?

If it's not the right type of street track, it is bad racing. The only reason F-1 keeps Monaco on the schedule, is because it's Monaco. It's a real bad track with hardly any passing zones.

It is talked about that F-1 might return to Long Beach for their American date, after their contract with TG is up. Long Beach, St. Pete and Toronto are the best street circuits on the CART circuit. Vancouver, Denver and Miami fall into the can't pass and alltogether too tight....

Last edited by TLK : 01-16-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:05 PM   #88
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I love the Long Beach circuit. I think it's the Monaco of the CART/US circruit, with a betetr track.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #89
TLK
Pro Starter

Thumbs down

The IRL Fires Back.....

Quote:
IRL Responds to OWRS
Written by: Jeff Olson
Indianapolis, Ind. – 1/16/2004

If the Indy Racing League bids on CART’s assets -- and if that bid is successful -- it could be a major step toward reunifying U.S. open-wheel racing, an IRL spokesman said Friday.

Fred Nation, the IRL’s executive vice president for communications, said league officials are in the process of determining what, if anything, they plan to bid on. CART has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection from its creditors; Open Wheel Racing Series, a group led by CART team owners Paul Gentilozzi and Kevin Kalkhoven, has proposed to purchase the assets.

Other parties interested in submitting bids must do so by Jan. 23. U.S. bankruptcy judge Frank J. Otte will render a final decision on Jan. 28.

"We have a greater chance of going forward with a unified approach to open-wheel racing on both ovals and road and street courses -- a better chance than anyone else does, in our opinion," Nation said. "The gentlemen who are bidding on the bankrupt CART assets are not responsible for CART’s bankruptcy. They’re trying to resuscitate a failed operation and take it forward with the same failed business model used in the past. We would argue that everyone’s energies would be better spent on a unified approach to open-wheel racing in North America."

Bobby Rahal, who fields teams in both series and is a past CEO of CART, echoed Nation’s sentiments.

"Having one clear leader in the sport, certainly to me, is of great value," Rahal said during an IRL teleconference Tuesday. "If I look back on CART, clearly that’s what it didn’t have. That probably pre-empted or probably produced much of the unfortunate things we’ve seen over the last 10 years. We’re all in this together, and I think if we want open-wheel racing to be what it once was or at least get on the path to what it once was, then we’ve got to all work together."

Nation acknowledged that the IRL is interested in CART’s capital assets but is assessing the value of race contracts and the possibility of penalties from promoters if CART races are canceled. CART’s original season opener in February at St. Petersburg, Fla., has been canceled, and the sanctioning body’s first race of 2004 is set for April 18 at Long Beach, Calif.

IRL officials have toured CART headquarters in Indianapolis, looking at equipment that includes a portable care center, timing and scoring devices and black boxes. Series officials then indicated they were considering a bid.

"There’s little doubt that a lot of that (equipment) would be of use to us," Nation said, adding that the IRL is more concerned about signed contracts and other obligations CART currently has and may still have after bankruptcy proceedings are final.

"What OWRS is saying is they’ll take it all. We’re saying we may not be willing to take that risk," Nation said. "There are a lot of things we’re looking at. We could decide to do nothing. That’s always an option. We could decide to bid on everything or just bid on certain portions."

Kalkhoven said earlier this week that any bid by the IRL would be merely an attempt to destroy the rival series (click here for story). Nation disputed Kalkhoven’s comments, saying any bid by the IRL would be an attempt to strengthen open-wheel racing. However, Nation indicated he wasn’t surprised by the reaction.

"These gentlemen are competitors," Nation said. "We would expect them to do their very best to win this race, if it turns out to be a race. We have come to expect over the years that provocative statements are a stock and trade of whoever is in charge of CART."

The split in domestic open-wheel racing began in 1996, when Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Tony George formed the Indy Racing League and changed the specifications and rules surrounding the Indianapolis 500. Saying, in effect, that they had been locked out of the race, CART teams boycotted the ‘96 Indy 500, and the two series since have run as rivals.

In recent years, most of CART’s high-profile owners have joined the all-oval IRL, including Roger Penske and Chip Ganassi , along with engine manufacturers Honda and Toyota. Last season, IRL officials told teams to prepare for the possibility of road racing in 2004.

"You hear all kinds of rumors about the potential of going road racing," Rahal said. "I think that would be of great value. I think that’s what made open-wheel racing so successful in the 1980s, for example, and early 1990s, was when you had sort of a combination of both. I’m hopeful that road racing is a component of the IRL, but that’s really not up to me."

Nation said it is "highly unlikely" that the IRL would add any road or street races to its 2004 schedule regardless of the outcome of the CART bankruptcy proceedings. He said IRL officials are not in contact with promoters of CART’s most valued street and road venues, including the Long Beach Grand Prix, the Toronto Molson Indy and Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis.

"We don’t really have the ability to deal with the venues to put on those races (in 2004)," Nation said. "First, they’re under contract to CART. Second, our season is complete, our sponsors are complete, our TV schedule is complete. We have a very limited ability to make any changes at this point. If we make a bid and we are successful, we can put on a 2005 season that will incorporate the best of road and street courses with our oval schedule and preserve them in a way that provides a sound foundation."

Nation said a final decision regarding a possible bid for CART’s assets isn’t likely until shortly before the Jan. 23 deadline.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:12 AM   #90
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Wasn't F1 looking at Las Vegas, using the Strip, as possible US race.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:43 PM   #91
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

Actually, F1 races on two street circuits. The first race of the season in Australia is raced on a street circuit, but it is not nearly as tight as a traditional street circuit.

I also believe that the Belgian and Canadian tracks use public roads for at least part of the track.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:53 PM   #92
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
Actually, F1 races on two street circuits. The first race of the season in Australia is raced on a street circuit, but it is not nearly as tight as a traditional street circuit.

I also believe that the Belgian and Canadian tracks use public roads for at least part of the track.

I can't believe I forgot about Melbourne..... You're right also about Montreal, but again, a really nice track to complete passes on. I need to brush up on my Formula-1 knowledge because if there is no CART in 04'..... that's what I'll be watching....

Last edited by TLK : 01-17-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:57 PM   #93
pskov
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S

Umm, Monaco ring any bells? The most famous street circuit in the world?
pskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:01 PM   #94
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

I doubt F1 was, but F1 does look in a lot of locales. They have even considered building a track near Istanbul. The Turks are very big fans of fast cars but are only curiously interested in F1 at this point.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:02 PM   #95
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:

I really can't see Formula-1 racing in Las Vegas. They raced their in the early 80's and the track was awful. Granted it didn't help that it was in the parking lot of one the casino's (Ceasar's Palace?). The problem with a race on the strip is that there are way too many ego's involved that would want a piece of the pie. In my dreamworld, a race down the strip, right before nightfall would be money, but I don't think we'll see any group pull it off any time soon. It amazes me that back when F-1 ran Vegas, they had three races in America.... now we have one with declining attendance.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:04 PM   #96
pskov
Mascot

An F1 race at night would be suicidal for the drivers. That won't happen in a very, very, very long time.

Edit for idiotic grammar...

Last edited by pskov : 01-17-2004 at 02:05 PM.
pskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:20 PM   #97
TLK
Pro Starter

Like I said.... in a dreamworld..... but, I think they could light it to the point where it was safe... plus it's Vegas....

Here's what Cleveland looked like this year, under the lights....

Last edited by TLK : 01-17-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #98
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Is it now a close-oval circruit at Cleveland?

Does NASCAR have a presence at all outside of the US?

Could a good circuit be created out of the Las Vegas, with the strip as the "centerpiece" and start/finish line?

Do you guys think that an American company would help booster the presence if launch a team under an American brand?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #99
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskov
Umm, Monaco ring any bells? The most famous street circuit in the world?

The other track is Monaco.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #100
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskov
That won't happen in a very, very, very long time.

I would put money on night races (or evening races at least) happening within the next decade. They are already discussing it.

F1 has noticed that the Brazilian, Canadian and US races get much higher viewing figures than any other races. This is because the races are starting in primetime in Europe, rather than early in the afternoon. These later starts also help boost audience figures in the North American market.

Since racing under the lights has been a success in NASCAR and CART, as well as a host of junior series, it is bound to happen in F1 eventually.