Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

Alright Boyz, Here We Go!!!! (OOTP 2007 release thoughts!!!)

All I saw was the preview one, so I guess we need an actual release post now... right?

I'm installing the game right now...

_____________________________________________________________________________________
SKYDOG EDIT/ADDENDUM: Game is now released to the public.

OOTP Baseball 2007

More mirror sites wanted!

PC Setup files
PC Try and Buy Demo
Mac Try and Buy Demo

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-23-2007 at 09:38 AM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm running a league real quick just to see how it works and to mess around with junk before I even dive into starting my first league.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So far, it's overwhelming in the sense that last year's was. But..it runs super fast and looks infinitely more polished in terms of what you can do/how you do it.

I'm pretty excited.

Facegen is awesome, too.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

So is it safe to assume that the early download is only for the preorders that missed the discount offer? I keep hitting the download link on the preorder confirmation email I got last month and it just says 'thanks'.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
So is it safe to assume that the early download is only for the preorders that missed the discount offer? I keep hitting the download link on the preorder confirmation email I got last month and it just says 'thanks'.

If you preordered before Wednesday, you should've received an email from Marc Duffy this morning with a link to the download for the game. If you ordered today, then it'll be released tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

*shrug* The only email I got was the one from back in February. Ah, well.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

haven't received mine yet
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Marc Duffy
SI Games

PM me with your email (and an alternative) and I'll try to cover all bases.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have mine, but can't do anything with it because I'm at work. And some of you are waiting for yours with little or nothing else to do.

THIS SUCKS.

Drafting a letter about Maryland's insurable interest law is even less exciting right now than it otherwise is.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post
PM me with your email (and an alternative) and I'll try to cover all bases.

Done.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Got the link Marc, thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Have me email, but I'm in Chi town for the next two days.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Have me email, but I'm in Chi town for the next two days.

Did you mean to post this in the Pirates! thread?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Did you mean to post this in the Pirates! thread?

No, in the "I'm in Chicago and bored" thread.

T minus 7 hours before I get a nice fat steak.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Can somebody tell me where the world_template file lives? It doesn't appear to b in either the OOTP2007 file in programs nor the data files under My Documents. I can install of of Icy's great work except the world template.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Can somebody tell me where the world_template file lives? It doesn't appear to b in either the OOTP2007 file in programs nor the data files under My Documents. I can install of of Icy's great work except the world template.

Here (changing C for your drive letter and your user for your windows user name). If you don't have the folder there, just create it.

C:\Documents and Settings\your user\My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data\world_templates

Last edited by Icy : 03-22-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. It wasn't there and I didn't know if I had missed it. I created the folder and it worked fine.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
King of New York
High School Varsity

Okay, I've been messing around with the game for an hour and a half--here are some first impressions:

wow, there's a lot of stuff here! I've spent nearly all of my time exploring various game set-up options, because there are many, many different ways to configure the game to your liking.

The interface works well enough--I got stuck in one apparent dead-end under "advanced options," but I'm sure that was the result of my own stupidity more than anything else.

The game installs its files in two different places: some of it is under "programs," and some of it is under "my documents." It's not a problem, just something I'll have to get used to--in time, I'm sure locating folders will be second nature. (Edit: I guess SI games always do that, but I'd never noticed with FM or EHM because I never used mods, alternate databaes, or facepaks for them).

The game is running smoothly so far, and files are loading quickly.

The 500-page manual looks intimidating at first, but so far I've found it easy to use--the table of contents is great and really helps you to get where you need to go. A lot of that bulk is the result of the very generous use of screenshots in the manual, which I approve of.

Okay, I'm going in again.

Last edited by King of New York : 03-22-2007 at 11:39 AM.
King of New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
molson
General Manager

Anyone manage a game yet? How long does it take?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Okay, I've been messing around with the game for an hour and a half--here are some first impressions:

wow, there's a lot of stuff here! I've spent nearly all of my time exploring various game set-up options, because there are many, many different ways to configure the game to your liking.

The interface works well enough--I got stuck in one apparent dead-end under "advanced options," but I'm sure that was the result of my own stupidity more than anything else.

The game installs its files in two different places: some of it is under "programs," and some of it is under "my documents." It's not a problem, just something I'll have to get used to--in time, I'm sure locating folders will be second nature. (Edit: I guess SI games always do that, but I'd never noticed with FM or EHM because I never used mods, alternate databaes, or facepaks for them).

The game is running smoothly so far, and files are loading quickly.

The 500-page manual looks intimidating at first, but so far I've found it easy to use--the table of contents is great and really helps you to get where you need to go. A lot of that bulk is the result of the very generous use of screenshots in the manual, which I approve of.

Okay, I'm going in again.

You can hit "F1" anywhere in the game, which basically gives you the same help as the manual
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #21
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

So far, I have managed one game as the 2007 St. Louis Cardinals, but I fell asleep in my car and woke up in jail, so I'm not sure if the game is still going or not.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #22
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I played out many games during the beta testing and I would say the ave game time was around 15-20 minutes. I used the 1-pitch mode and took my time since I always like to look at the player stats while managing the games.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #23
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
So far, I have managed one game as the 2007 St. Louis Cardinals, but I fell asleep in my car and woke up in jail, so I'm not sure if the game is still going or not.

roffle
Old 03-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #24
Ksyrup

LaRussa went to the same law school I did, so I can make fun of him, since he pretends he's some scholarly baseball mind, but in reality he's just a product of Florida State's law school.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I started a 100 year sim on the game before I headed to work. We'll see if it finishes in the 9 hours or so
Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My first real league is going to be a Wyoming high school league. Since there isn't high school baseball here, it'll serve as the defacto state championship.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Man, I'm going to have to think about what I want to do. Fictional sounds fun, simming about 10 years for history, a historical start sounds fun... current day 2007 Cardinals career sounds fun too. Ahhhh... at least I have a few days to think it over.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #28
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
My first real league is going to be a Wyoming high school league. Since there isn't high school baseball here, it'll serve as the defacto state championship.

You can do that!?!?

I haven't paid enough attention.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #29
Ksyrup

I may put the kids to bed at 6pm so I can get some "alone time" with the game. The wife's going to be an issue, though...
Old 03-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
You can do that!?!?

I haven't paid enough attention.

Yup. You create a high school feeder league just like you'd create a minor league. You can create several of them, too. Or college feeder leagues.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I may put the kids to bed at 6pm so I can get some "alone time" with the game. The wife's going to be an issue, though...

lol
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #32
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Sleeping pills.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yup. You create a high school feeder league just like you'd create a minor league. You can create several of them, too. Or college feeder leagues.

Or actually, you just create a high school league like you'd create a normal fictional league.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #34
Atocep
Coordinator

Currently simming some history for my league. With Icy's mod it took 10 minutes to set up a league and have it automatically adjust stats and financials for the era you're and then recalculate both after each season.

The Manager screen also has just about everything you'll need hyperlinked on it so you don't spend much time searching through the UI to find what you're looking for.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I couldn't figure out how to install Icy's mod yet. I need to do that when I get home.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #36
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

How accurate is this game at recreating the current MLB environment? When an up to date roster file is made can I expect realistic results, trades, finances?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I couldn't figure out how to install Icy's mod yet. I need to do that when I get home.

Nevermind that, I got it.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity View Post
How accurate is this game at recreating the current MLB environment? When an up to date roster file is made can I expect realistic results, trades, finances?

My understanding is that it does a pretty good job. Not to perfection, but good nonetheless. The demo is probably worth checking out tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to some great mirrors, I just downloaded the entire setup file in a little under 2 minutes.

Well, actually I know there is one great mirror

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-22-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #40
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

When it is available tomorrow? (I completely forgot about the preorder deal..) blah.. oh well.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #41
Qrusher14242
High School JV

What icy's mod? and where can i get it?
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #42
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
What icy's mod? and where can i get it?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=142293
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I didn't end up pre-ordering (had a long day) but am eagerly looking forward to the demo so that I can ensure that this will indeed be my baseball game this year (although without puresim, and seeing that BM08 seems to have gone backwards...at least according to some posts on that forum, it doesn't seem like I have much choice).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #44
Fouts
College Starter

Played my first game, went pretty well. The pbp is much improved over last year. I wrote a recap of the game after it was over, and I was surprised that the player names and teams were automatically hyperlinked (very cool).

Still takes me forever to start a league (mostly because I don't like the random team cities/names that are assigned to franchises).
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
Played my first game, went pretty well. The pbp is much improved over last year. I wrote a recap of the game after it was over, and I was surprised that the player names and teams were automatically hyperlinked (very cool).

Still takes me forever to start a league (mostly because I don't like the random team cities/names that are assigned to franchises).

I've had the game all day and I still haven't begun playing for the same reasons mostly. Spending time investing trying to get things organized how I want to, etc.

I think I'm gonna quit that now and get started for a little bit, just to see how it all plays out.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #46
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is light years ahead of last year's version. I actually had fun with the game! I ran into a couple of small problems so far.

1) I still think the AI values MRs too much in the draft preview. In two draft previews my scout has picked 11 and 13 MRs in the top 20 of the draft. When it comes down to the draft he doesn't recommend an MR until round 5.

2) When I tried to click on abbreviations in the F1 help I got an error and a blank page. I don't exactly remember the path, but it started on the player card. (btw- the F1 help is generally great.)
Old 03-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #47
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I've had the game all day and I still haven't begun playing for the same reasons mostly. Spending time investing trying to get things organized how I want to, etc.

Being anal-retentive about my historical league and knowing how long it took me set one up in OOTP 5, I can envision that doing the same thing in OOTP 2007 will take me until the summer to get going.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #48
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In reading through the manual, there's an old question I've been meaning to ask. What is the concept behind a 2-8/20-80 ratings scale?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
In reading through the manual, there's an old question I've been meaning to ask. What is the concept behind a 2-8/20-80 ratings scale?

I think it mirrors the scale real life scouts use in baseball.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #50
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sorry for the dumb questions. I saw this in the manual:

Quote:

Note: If you are importing historical players, you might want to schedule your first-year player draft between October and November. Otherwise our rookies might make their major league debuts a year earlier than you expected.

If you do this, does that mean that the rookies will be added to the current season before you hit the 'proceeed to next season' button (assuming there is one)? If so, wouldn't that mess up the almanac or league history if you have a been players with no stats for the season?