Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2020, 12:22 AM   #3501
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:41 AM   #3502
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-01-2020 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Duplicate post, sorry
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:42 AM   #3503
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISsidiqui
It is absolutely insane that you think that because there is homicide between private citizens (the percentages, btw, are similar for killings of white Americans as well) that the killing of 30 per million Black Americans by the state isn't a substantial issue that needs to rectification?!

Now you're just flat-out lying about what I've said, which IMO probably marks the point at which this conversation is no longer useful. Here's a couple times in this discussion where I've said it is a substantial issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
They ARE a problem, a problem that needs to be addressed and dealt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
still way, way too high. As I've posted, I am concerned about the general issue of police violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISsidiqui
That's 30 per million for blacks, 22 per million for Hispanics, 12 per million per whites, and 4 per million for "Other"

Want to try again? By ignoring percentages of black folks compared to police shootings you are just carrying water for racism, IMO.

For at least others reading this, my point wasn't to ignore those percentages, but I would say that the current atmosphere and way this is discussed, rhetoric in this thread etc., you'd think the disparity was several orders of magnitude larger than it is, more like 20, 30, 50 or more times the incidence for other races. Additionally, study after study after study has found that such percentages (in shootings and otherwhise) don't necessarily point to inherent racism by police. And by the way, the reverse percentages are even worse: the percentage of those who kill the police find blacks over-representing their population seven-fold. See:

** 2016 study by black Harvard economist Roland Fryer, along with another in 2014 by Washington State University, both found that police were less likely to shoot a black suspect than one of other races.

** As relating to driving while black, the Obama administration's DOJ - not some right-wing president, a conservative think-tank, some attack group or Trump or whatever - found that in 75% of traffic stops involving blacks the blacks themselves said there was a good reason they were pulled over. The DOJ concluded that increased incidence of blacks being stopped, which is absolutely a real reality, resulted from differences in driving patterns, rates of offending, and exposure to police. Not from police treating them differently. Crimonologists, not conservative ones, have found similarly going back decades.

One can go on and on with this kind of thing relating to sentencing issues etc. I do absolutely believe there are issues to be resolved here, but they simply are not of the magnitude that is generally being described which is why I call this a police violence issue. The source is primarily economic, largely because of redlining and other historic racist policies that have led to inequity, and I favor moderate forms of reparations etc. to help address that and try to stem the tide of the tragic increased levels of crime, family breakdown, etc. that are evident in the black community. I'm for resolving what facts indicate are the real problems IMO.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-01-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:03 AM   #3504
RainMaker
General Manager

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-01-2020 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #3505
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #3506
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #3507
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #3508
bob
College Starter

They were removing the smashed windshield so the car could be driven off the street.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #3509
whomario
Pro Starter

Quick question: Are those officers quickly identifiable by 'command' ? If not, would that not be a start ? Like put much larger plates on cars and come up with some sort of coded system to mark uniforms, especially riot gear (limited facial recognition possible).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #3510
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It seems that the pizza box guy that was following umbrella guy around...is working with him. Here they are on a different day at a different location.

About 37 seconds in on the first video

Thomas C. Lang on Twitter: "Also, I filmed this man shortly before 7pm on 5/27. Fast forward to about 37 seconds.… "
Old 06-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #3511
Jukeman
Mascot

Looks like the same day and same location just different angle. You can see the autozone building in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #3512
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
It seems that the pizza box guy that was following umbrella guy around...is working with him. Here they are on a different day at a different location.

About 37 seconds in on the first video

Thomas C. Lang on Twitter: "Also, I filmed this man shortly before 7pm on 5/27. Fast forward to about 37 seconds.… "

FYI: MPD has denied it's Pederson. Now considering some of the shady shit going down, there's a bit of a trust issue with local law enforcement and local government (like in Louisville, the cops mayor claimed those cops smashing the milk and water bottles because there were incendiaries in there - never mind that they dump everything on the ground or toss it casually into the back of a pickup truck and no one's really buying that). But the link naming it as Pederson was tenuous, at best - someone online who was his ex-wife or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman View Post
Looks like the same day and same location just different angle. You can see the autozone building in the background.

Agreed - this looks like it was taken just after the Autozone confrontation. However, the guy in pink who is walking away with him and laughing. Just a minute ago, in the other video, he was pretending to confront him. So, yeah, it sure looks like they were working together in all that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-01-2020 at 09:21 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #3513
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #3514
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

This appears to be taken in Marion Square in downtown Charleston, a place where I've picnicked with my family numerous times.

What in the WORLD?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #3515
Jukeman
Mascot

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA5TkCCg...d=qk3s2gv4bxa2

Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #3516
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou
This appears to be taken in Marion Square in downtown Charleston, a place where I've picnicked with my family numerous times.

What in the WORLD?

I haven't seen any reports of this kind of nonsense happening anywhere near me, but I'm really hoping we stay on top of all of these ... indefensible, from what I can see ... actions. We need to have a lot fewer police, at least temporarily, after this is over. A lot of people need to fired, and some prosecuted.

I really don't understand what a lot for them are thinking *boggle*
Old 06-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #3517
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

What in the WORLD?

What the fuck? I was expecting something like one of them coming out to extend a hand, not arrest him. Wow!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #3518
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's amazing that even with cameras everywhere police are still convinced they have the impunity to do things like that. Sure, the guy will be released, but the intimidating message was sent to him and those around him.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #3519
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So what exactly are the peaceful protesters trying accomplish at this point?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-01-2020 at 10:38 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #3520
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://www.facebook.com/gribbzley/v...7227506940132/

in seattle
Old 06-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #3521
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So what exactly are the peaceful protesters trying accomplish at this point?

The peaceful protesters have been overwhelmed by news & twitter feeds of the rioting, looting, police actions etc. Seems very grassroots (which is a good thing) but also seems very fragmented with lack of centralized leadership speaking out.

My guess is the longer this continues, the more it works against the messaging for the 30% undecided/no opinion.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #3522
Atocep
Coordinator

We're reaching new levels of hypocrisy.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #3523
kingfc22
Head Coach

Man I hope all this destroys the GOP's power for the next 50+ years.

There is no bottom out of reach for their hypocrisy. Nothing says Make America Great Again more than bombing your own citizens.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #3524
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
We're reaching new levels of hypocrisy.

I thought it was going to be something about how everyone was killing peoples' grandmas until a few days ago when mass protests seemingly ended the need for social distancing and saving grandma.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #3525
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I thought it was going to be something about how everyone was killing peoples' grandmas until a few days ago when mass protests seemingly ended the need for social distancing and saving grandma.

It is out in the open and many are wearing masks so there's that.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #3526
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The antifa measure to postpone civil unrest over police violence until after a vaccine is produced didn't pass unfortunately.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #3527
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Speaking of which, where are those guys in Michigan, Wisconsin, and other places that were against government tyranny while the government is beating up on children, medics, the press, and shooting people on their own porches?

SI

Old 06-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #3528
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Speaking of which, where are those guys in Michigan, Wisconsin, and other places that were against government tyranny while the government is beating up on children, medics, the press, and shooting people on their own porches?

SI

Hypocrites as well, that's how the L/R game works. It's just clear as day as this shit is political. Sad, scary but hard to argue at this point. The media and the left were as recently as Monday talking about tracing one man who partied at the Lake of the Ozarks. Now they have moved on to their new issue.

You took a break for a few years from FOFC but reference the Boston Marathon thread for me vs the entire board about police militarization and why this wasn't the greatest moment in US history.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #3529
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The antifa measure to postpone civil unrest over police violence until after a vaccine is produced didn't pass unfortunately.

Just thought some of the politicians, celebrities, and media members would have something to say about COVID-19 and how it doesn't understand how to avoid infecting the righteous. Some of them were literally crying on twitter last week about the Lake of the Ozarks and "dead grandmas" but now their silence just shows their faux outrage is all political. (Of course the right is as guilty as this as well just pointing out it's all a hypocritical game to them)
Old 06-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #3530
kingfc22
Head Coach

A quick google search of protesters and COVID 19 shows that news outlets are reporting this; however, images of riots and burning buildings works much better on TV.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #3531
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
A quick google search of protesters and COVID 19 shows that news outlets are reporting this; however, images of riots and burning buildings works much better on TV.

Clearly, "If it bleeds, it leads". My point is it was literally, I mean "blood on their hands" news articles, being sold as the death of all sorts of people from Memorial Day gatherings and the violations of the sacred social distancing. Now their reporters are right in the middle of it. Seems like that would be story #1 as this will lead to at least 20K more deaths if the Memorial Day stuff was going to cause mass deaths.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #3532
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Hypocrites as well, that's how the L/R game works. It's just clear as day as this shit is political. Sad, scary but hard to argue at this point. The media and the left were as recently as Monday talking about tracing one man who partied at the Lake of the Ozarks. Now they have moved on to their new issue.

You took a break for a few years from FOFC but reference the Boston Marathon thread for me vs the entire board about police militarization and why this wasn't the greatest moment in US history.

You have to be really struggling to avoid specific aspects of the news or blatantly ignoring things to believe people suddenly forgot about Covid.

Historic civil unrest sparked by police violence is going to get national attention no matter what else is going on. Is the media supposed to ignore the riots? Covid is still being covered and the media is warning people about the potential dangers of the protests and riots.

From the front page of the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ve-updates-us/

Front page of the NY Times:
bars

Front page of Fox News:
https://www.foxnews.com/health/healt...after-protests

Front page of CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...ntl/index.html
Old 06-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #3533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just thought some of the politicians, celebrities, and media members would have something to say about COVID-19 and how it doesn't understand how to avoid infecting the righteous. Some of them were literally crying on twitter last week about the Lake of the Ozarks and "dead grandmas" but now their silence just shows their faux outrage is all political. (Of course the right is as guilty as this as well just pointing out it's all a hypocritical game to them)

We did talk about this over in the COVID thread over the weekend a little bit. There's a real concern of it flaring up.

Quote:
Seems pretty high.

So someone in my family works at a cancer hospital. They have been taking a ton of precautions there but, at the end of the day, you still have to see patients. To the patients, it doesn't matter if they die by COVID or if they die by cancer: death is still death.

I think something similar applies here. If you think you're risking dying just by going out in public, death by COVID vs death by police brutality: death is death.

SI

But if you have a much more than non-zero risk of getting killed in broad daylight on camera by police, how worried are you about a virus killing you?

I think we can (mostly) agree that protesting police violence is "better" than going to party at Memorial Day (for the economy, if you want to be generous). But if you want to try and parse out where on the scale that is, be my guest.

SI

Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #3534
kingfc22
Head Coach

Of course you have the differing headlines:

FoxNews headlines:
Mass protests ‘ripped the mask off’ liberal media’s politicized coronavirus coverage, critics say
Big-city Dems who had imposed strict coronavirus lockdowns now let George Floyd rioters flout rules
Health officials worry about second wave of coronavirus after George Floyd unrest

WaPo headline:
Live updates: Officials warn that protests could lead to another wave of coronavirus infections

CNN headlines:
The protests are raising fears of a spike in coronavirus cases
New York governor says mass gatherings "could in fact exacerbate the Covid-19 spread"

The Guardian, just for some international flavor:
US lockdown protests may have spread virus widely, cellphone data suggests

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #3535
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We did talk about this over in the COVID thread over the weekend a little bit. There's a real concern of it flaring up.

But if you have a much more than non-zero risk of getting killed in broad daylight on camera by police, how worried are you about a virus killing you?

I think we can (mostly) agree that protesting police violence is "better" than going to party at Memorial Day (for the economy, if you want to be generous). But if you want to try and parse out where on the scale that is, be my guest.

SI

Yeah I saw that and think the math is pretty foolish (though maybe that was the point that people are not really thinking straight?). The chance of dying by police is <<<< chance of dying from COVID-19. For everybody, including criminals.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #3536
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You have to be really struggling to avoid specific aspects of the news or blatantly ignoring things to believe people suddenly forgot about Covid.

Historic civil unrest sparked by police violence is going to get national attention no matter what else is going on. Is the media supposed to ignore the riots? Covid is still being covered and the media is warning people about the potential dangers of the protests and riots.

From the front page of the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ve-updates-us/

Front page of the NY Times:
bars

Front page of Fox News:
https://www.foxnews.com/health/healt...after-protests

Front page of CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...ntl/index.html

You are more than proving my point here. These are not headline articles at all. It's all a political game, sadly with lives at risk it's bury the story political.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #3537
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
What the fuck? I was expecting something like one of them coming out to extend a hand, not arrest him. Wow!

Thanks for posting. This has been a revelation for me.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #3538
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's amazing that even with cameras everywhere police are still convinced they have the impunity to do things like that. Sure, the guy will be released, but the intimidating message was sent to him and those around him.

It's part of the systemic issue that police are taught that they can do these sort of things without impunity, and generally the criminal justice system lets them off the hook. But now, with camera phones, I hope that a lot of this starts to change. The police response to property violence has been terrible in a lot of places. It's almost like they want to justify the protests... are the police secretly working for Black Lives Matter?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #3539
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are more than proving my point here. These are not headline articles at all. It's all a political game, sadly with lives at risk it's bury the story political.

These are literally on the front page of these papers/sites. I linked to bunch earlier this thread as well.

What the fuck are you talking about?
Old 06-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #3540
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
These are literally on the front page of these papers/sites. I linked to bunch earlier this thread as well.

What the fuck are you talking about?

This forum used to be pretty civil. Do you talk to people like this in real life? Why would I respond to you when you address me like this?
Old 06-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #3541
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

And I'm not even really an opposing viewpoint (I don't buy into militarized police or Republican talking points) though I guess I rub some of the you the wrong way. I really think you guys just enjoy the echo chamber/let's pat everyone on the back we all agree and don't really want discussion most of the time anyways.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #3542
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You're viewpoint is bothering nobody, you repeatedly insisting that you're the single voice of reason vs. the entire board certainly isn't making a good impression though.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #3543
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
And I'm not even really an opposing viewpoint (I don't buy into militarized police or Republican talking points) though I guess I rub some of the you the wrong way. I really think you guys just enjoy the echo chamber/let's pat everyone on the back we all agree and don't really want discussion most of the time anyways.

This discussion started with your strawman argument about COVID coverage in the media as a response to something completely unrelated. It was then pointed out that you can go to the front page of any major news network and see Covid coverage. In addition, I just went to my local paper's site (Seattle Times) and it has 4 Covid articles/links on the front page. But that somehow proves your point because the goalposts have now shifted to "not headline enough".

So I don't think the need for echo chamber is the issue here. It's the false neutrality of both-sidesism and constant need by libertarians (generally speaking) to flaunt their evolved political awareness over others. Personally, I don't care if you have a dissenting viewpoint, but if people disagree strongly enough you're going to get responses back. That doesn't mean everyone hates you and insists on having the same viewpoint or opinion, it simply means they disagree. Disagreement is part of discussion and debate.

I acknowledge that this board leans heavily to the left (more so under this administration than previous administrations) and it's probably overwhelming to have a dissenting view, but it doesn't mean that they're not welcome.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #3544
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This forum used to be pretty civil. Do you talk to people like this in real life? Why would I respond to you when you address me like this?

I actually do talk to my buddies in real life that way when they say some bullshit (though it's definitely more friendly than the way I meant it for you). As for 'this forum used to be pretty civil' - if that's the worst you've seen, you've either never read JIMG posts or don't get out too much. Especially when you are telling some obvious whoppers.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #3545
RainMaker
General Manager

You made a false statement and then got mad when people showed you that it was false.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #3546
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #3547
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I actually do talk to my buddies in real life that way when they say some bullshit (though it's definitely more friendly than the way I meant it for you). As for 'this forum used to be pretty civil' - if that's the worst you've seen, you've either never read JIMG posts or don't get out too much. Especially when you are telling some obvious whoppers.

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess. More whataboutism...
Old 06-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #3548
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #3549
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #3550
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
You made a false statement and then got mad when people showed you that it was false.

They deep down know what I mean. The front page is an old newspaper term and generally means like 4-5 headlines not one of like 75 links on Cnn.com. If they think the mass media outlets are out pushing this deadly virus will kill your grandma the same during the protests and riots then they they did after Memorial Day then they are the ones living in denial Not going to quit the forum because I like a lot of the people here and enjoy the gaming and netflix threads etc but you guys are definitely in a echo chamber in the politics thread. What are the opposing voices now like 2 people? Congrats I guess?

Last edited by panerd : 06-01-2020 at 02:16 PM.