Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #401
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
punched in my first ever 10k for the Any Way 10k this morning, clocked in at a pace of 5:03 per km over 10.2 km. Don't need to say that I'm VERY happy with this run. 7 PR in all with my 8th km clocking in at 4:58...

FM

Didn't notice this earlier, very cool FM!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #402
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Didn't notice this earlier, very cool FM!

thanks

I keep surprising myself. This is all new stuff to me. Looking at the heart rate data I'm thinking I could have (or should have) pushed myself harder. Then again, I was venturing in the unknown. A bit more than two weeks ago, I had never really run and went out for some 5k of run and walk which I've been steadily increasing since then. My longest run prior to today was 7.2 km done just last Thursday. I'm still very much testing my limits... Today was a good test.

FM
Old 06-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #403
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
thanks

I keep surprising myself. This is all new stuff to me. Looking at the heart rate data I'm thinking I could have (or should have) pushed myself harder. Then again, I was venturing in the unknown. A bit more than two weeks ago, I had never really run and went out for some 5k of run and walk which I've been steadily increasing since then. My longest run prior to today was 7.2 km done just last Thursday. I'm still very much testing my limits... Today was a good test.

FM

10k at 5min per k, is a very good time, specially since you recently started to run and looking at your heart rate, you can do it way better. In my attempt yesterday, where i did my best time with 6:38 per k, my heart rate average was over 170, and in the last K i reached my top of 192bpm and sustained it until the end, so it means basically that i gave all that i had. You did a great time and still had a lot in your tank, you are in way better shape than you thought, congrats!

As for me, i expected to do yesterday 10k at just under 7m per k (my best was 7:12 per k) but felt good towards the end and did 6:38 as i said before.

Before that, I had planned to start a 12 weeks training plan to run the 10k in under 6:30, but seeing how close i was, i'm going to take the next level and start a 10k under 6 minutes per k 12 weeks training plan.

Last edited by Icy : 06-17-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #404
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I thought I read in here that all-downhill segments didn't count on Strava for PRs. I'm pretty sure that the one-mile PR today was heavily downhill-aided. There was one area that was downhill for dang near a mile.

Ben, Here is Strava's support information on the subject:

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...ts-for-Running

Quote:
Eligibility Requirements

Strava will only reward a "best effort" if the section is not downhill. Total elevation loss over the distance must be less than .25%. For example, this means that a downhill mile will not count as one of your best efforts for that distance. If your fastest mile is uphill, it will count.
Strava requires good quality GPS location information throughout the best effort. If there are missing points, errant points or other false accelerations then that part of the activity will not be eligible to be recognized as a best effort.

In your run, you had your second mile split at 7:54, but Strava recorded your PR for a mile at 7:55, so it wasn't considering that entire mile, but instead likely took enough of the uphill climb before that mile or perhaps enough after to find the fastest time that was not more than a .25% elevation loss I suppose.

For instance from .5 mile to 1.5 mile it was pretty even distance and that was close to a neutral elevation, which you ran a little over 8 minutes from eyeballing it. So I am guessing somewhere in there Strava found enough of your run to fit under its elevation requirements.

I had a similar run on May 4th where I had a mile that i ran right at 8:01, but lost close to 200 ft in elevation and strava didn't find any piece of that that was flat enough for me to get credit for it. So I would say don't just discount it, you ran it.. you did good there

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #405
AnalBumCover
College Starter

For the cyclists here, there are a couple new Ride challenges on Strava:

PowerBar Take on the Tour
Ride 1,680 kilometers in 33 days
06/29/2013 — 07/31/2013

Rapha Rising: La Centième
Climb 7,235 meters in 8 days
07/14/2013 — 07/21/2013
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #406
Subby
lolzcat

Had my second follow up with my orthopedist today. He said that I can resume running in July and cycling in August. I feel terrible starting this and then disappearing for two months, but I love seeing all of the success it has helped engender.

Looking forward to joining Team FOFC in July!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #407
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Had my second follow up with my orthopedist today. He said that I can resume running in July and cycling in August. I feel terrible starting this and then disappearing for two months, but I love seeing all of the success it has helped engender.

Awesome, keep up the good recovery!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #408
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have a Strava question: How does the Any way 10k work? I ran 21k yesterday but did not get credit. Did I have to literally run just 10k to get the badge?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #409
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Don't feel bad at all. I think it is great that so many people have joined in. Plus I love talking about running with others.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #410
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have a Strava question: How does the Any way 10k work? I ran 21k yesterday but did not get credit. Did I have to literally run just 10k to get the badge?

Should be 10k or more. Yours should have counted.. Send a message to their support probably to see what they can do to check it out

Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #411
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Looking forward to seeing you back at it, Subby!

ALL: I'm leaning heavily toward training for a half-marathon. The RunKeeper "Half Marathon Under 2:00" seems to start off close to where I am right now as a runner and I like that it's 5 days per week. I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on it.

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/r...6/23/13&page=0

I'm open to a "better" one. My main preference is that it's something that starts close to where I am now in terms of volume (30-35 miles per week).

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-17-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #412
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Awesome news!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #413
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Should be 10k or more. Yours should have counted.. Send a message to their support probably to see what they can do to check it out

Thanks for the 411, Alan! I'll probably just let it slide, though, I was just curious if I was misunderstanding the requirements.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #414
Kodos
Resident Alien

Glad to see you are on the mend, Subby.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #415
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

The fine print says there is a 90 minute time limit to complete the 10K. Maybe it looked at your entire run and saw you exceeded that time (by 4 minutes!).
Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #416
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

there's a max of 90 minutes for your run to be counted in their challenge, even if it's 10k or more. Your run is 4 minutes too long I'm afraid

FM

edit: ABC beat me to it

Last edited by FrogMan : 06-17-2013 at 02:10 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #417
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

lookng forward to see you back on the run!

FM
Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #418
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
The fine print says there is a 90 minute time limit to complete the 10K. Maybe it looked at your entire run and saw you exceeded that time (by 4 minutes!).

Doh!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #419
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Doh!

from what i understand, you can delete your run from strava, then trim the gpx file by removing some of your run, then reimport into strava. this will get you under 90min. might work.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #420
AlexB
Pro Starter

I use a Garmin, and realised over the weekend that it has a 5k PB on my front page set when I was rehabbing at 3.5minute walks and 1.5 minute walks. Turns out my 5k PB was only a minute or so slower than my 4 mile time as the continuous 5k run kinda got skipped in my programme.

So decided to drop distance down to 5k today just to erase this anomaly: 21:41 later I'm very happy.

Was thinking that I can get back to increasing distance a mile or so a month (I usually only run an average of 1.5 times a week, biking at least that on average), but reading stuff on here by people who clearly have looked into this, it appears I should vary distance and speed a bit more rather than just increasing distance every now and again for maximum benefit?
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #421
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yay, great news! This thread was the inspiration to get me off the couch and running again, glad you started it!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #422
Kodos
Resident Alien

Me too. It definitely kickstarted my exercise habits.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #423
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing you back at it, Subby!

ALL: I'm leaning heavily toward training for a half-marathon. The RunKeeper "Half Marathon Under 2:00" seems to start off close to where I am right now as a runner and I like that it's 5 days per week. I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on it.

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/r...6/23/13&page=0

I'm open to a "better" one. My main preference is that it's something that starts close to where I am now in terms of volume (30-35 miles per week).

it is fairly similar to the one that I am starting up next Monday. The only thing that I do not like on this runkeeper one is that on a few weeks it has the long runs as close to 40-50% of the weekly total miles which I have read can be a risk of injury. That miles per week is as important as miles on the long run and you don't want your long run to be more than 30-33% of your weekly miles to be safe from injury.

I think your training plan here has a little more speed work, while mine has a bit more base/mileage is the main difference. The bulk of it is roughly the same though.

From what I have seen, most of the half marathon plans are fairly similar in nature, so you'd probably be fine with most of them. The difference in what types of speed work or how you do it probably matter more for people who've run alot more than either of us is my guess.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #424
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I use a Garmin, and realised over the weekend that it has a 5k PB on my front page set when I was rehabbing at 3.5minute walks and 1.5 minute walks. Turns out my 5k PB was only a minute or so slower than my 4 mile time as the continuous 5k run kinda got skipped in my programme.

So decided to drop distance down to 5k today just to erase this anomaly: 21:41 later I'm very happy.

Was thinking that I can get back to increasing distance a mile or so a month (I usually only run an average of 1.5 times a week, biking at least that on average), but reading stuff on here by people who clearly have looked into this, it appears I should vary distance and speed a bit more rather than just increasing distance every now and again for maximum benefit?

I despise that about Garmin connect. It does not do what some of the others (such as strava) do by looking for the best 5k in your run. It just says, was your run more than 5k and what was the total time. I pretty much ignore the Personal records page on Garmin Connect.

As for your question on running plan.. Probably something better for a coach, as your situation is clearly not the same as mine. Running a 21:41 5k indicates you clearly have a good aerobic base from whatever activities (your biking or whatever). Most people if they are running only once a week and are newer runners, they should just run an aerobic pace "easy run", but you obviously have a base.

As example, I was pretty sedentary before I started running, and way overweight. I have had to spend months working on my aerobic base just to get under a 30 minute 5k. (When I started, i couldn't even run 1 minute without running out of breath). Frogman has been pretty active with his martial arts and other stuff longer, and he conquered his weight loss issues before me, so it has taken him much less to get to a better performance thanks to already having a good base.

So, hard to say since I am no running coach, my guess though is if you are running only once a week, you probably would do well with an easy run of whatever distance that you end with strides to work in some speed work which is usually fun. I honestly don't know in your case if throwing in a tempo run would also be as beneficial or more. Maybe one of our more experienced runners such as digamma or those who have run longer might have some better suggestions based on experience.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #425
Ben E Lou

Quote:
it is fairly similar to the one that I am starting up next Monday.
Where is the plan that you're starting up?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #426
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where is the plan that you're starting up?

I heard some good things about the Cool Runnings Half Marathon plans.

Half Marathon Training Plan & Schedule

The one I am doing is the Intermediate Half-Marathon plan. It says for people who expect to run the half in 1:45 or less, but I am likely going to be 2:00 to 2:15 myself, but I like the mileage and build of it for me better.

I have also heard good things about the Higdon half-marathon plans, but since I did a Higdon 10k plan, I wanted to try something different just to try to see which I like better.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #427
Ben E Lou

So basically it's speed work on Tuesday and easy runs all other days, or am I missing something with regard to pacing on days other than Tuesdays?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #428
Ben E Lou

(After having a convo with digamma, I'm leaning away from the RunKeeper plan, so I'm actively looking for something else. The week of June 24th is the time I have targeted to start.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #429
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So basically it's speed work on Tuesday and easy runs all other days, or am I missing something with regard to pacing on days other than Tuesdays?

Yes, pretty much easy pacing every day other than Tuesday. At least for me, I find that I can run fairly fast around the track. My problem is that I just can't keep the pace going long enough before my Heart rate spikes. So I am trying to mainly focus on continuing to build my aerobic base as my priority.

To be honest, I want to say that I ran a half marathon, but I'm even more so just using this to up my aerobic base in hopes that I can continue to improve on my 5k and 10k times right now. My Aerobic base really stunk when I started running (when I finally could run a 5k, it was over 40 minutes), so I've had to do alot of work with it.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #430
digamma
Torchbearer

Yeah, Ben sent me a note separately, and my feedback was that I thought the RunKeeper plan he posted was too much running.

Subby and I have "talked" a lot about running over the years and he would probably argue that I fall more into the "run less" camp anyway, but it goes back to what I wrote earlier. Training is cumulative, but it does take time. I don't think launching into a 40+ mile plan (there were some hidden miles in the RK plan) is necessarily the way to jump into a half marathon.

I've used Hal Higdon's plans a decent amount. They are less mileage, particularly on non-hard days. The long days are fairly comparable.

The structure of those plans are pretty similar with a long run on the weekend, speed work, hills or tempo during the week, a run at race pace (shorter distance (say a 10-K if you are training for a half marathon)) and a couple of easy runs.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #431
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

What are you trying to get out of it? A sub-22 5-K is no joke, so are you looking to really get faster or just stay in shape?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #432
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

Subby and I have "talked" a lot about running over the years and he would probably argue that I fall more into the "run less" camp anyway

Can you elaborate more on where your feelings fall? Run less in regards to the amount of miles per week, or number of days run or both? What is your thoughts behind it, injury prevention, or the diminishing returns from increased mileage beyond a point? Or something else?

I realize that it is a pretty healthy debate on the subject, most of my friends that have run for years seem to side with the belief of more miles so I would love to hear a little more on your thoughts to balance those out in my head.

I've tried to read quite a bit on the two sides, and from what I best understand, the proponents of running less feel that beyond 30 miles per week, you increase injury risk proportional to the amount of diminishing benefit you gain from actually running those miles. I also have read that the feeling is with too much running, you do not properly give your body recovery time and the recovery time is where your body improvement actually occurs. Generally this side seems to term easy miles as "junk miles" and instead running less during the week but more focused on specific purposes (long Run, Tempo Run, interval run, hills, etc) is of more benefit.

I don't want to misrepresent it any, and this is actually something that interests me greatly so am very curious to hear more of this line of thought. So far I've been planning my running around the other side of the debate, primarily due to the influences of people I talk to often that have far more experience than me on the subject.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #433
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I hit a major achievement in my C25K training last night: I ran for 20 minutes straight. I hadn't run that long in over 15 years.

Then after a 5 minute break, the workout called for two additional 5 minute runs separated by a 3 minute stretch break. Well, I ran the first 5, straight through the 3 minute break and continued into the final 5 minute run, giving me a total 13 minutes of straight running to close out my workout!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #434
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hit a major achievement in my C25K training last night: I ran for 20 minutes straight. I hadn't run that long in over 15 years.

Then after a 5 minute break, the workout called for two additional 5 minute runs separated by a 3 minute stretch break. Well, I ran the first 5, straight through the 3 minute break and continued into the final 5 minute run, giving me a total 13 minutes of straight running to close out my workout!

Awesome progress!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #435
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's great!
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #436
Ben E Lou

A combination of circumstances (short run Sunday, no run Monday, no lower body weight work since last Wednesday) made me suspect that both the legs and lungs would be particularly fresh today. It was scheduled to be a moderate run for 60 minutes. I decided to split it up into two runs: 30 minutes fast and 30 minutes slow, with a 3ish-minute walk to let the heart rate recover a bit in between. Even though I went in expecting faster times and possible PRs, I was not expecting the 16:47 2-mile and 26:19 5K I saw today.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #437
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Good stuff. Those "x minutes straight running" times are very, very satisfying.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #438
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Awesome progress!

Thanks! I was dreading this workout as it's got the longest running section (20 minutes) of all the workouts in the program. I had only recently been able to run the 10 minute runs in previous workouts, so having to suddenly double that time scared the shit out of me.

But my biggest fear was that if I couldn't run the 20 minutes, I would have huge doubts on being able to run the entire 5K race this coming Saturday. So I used that to motivate me to complete the 20 minutes, and then the 13 minutes at the end.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #439
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But my biggest fear was that if I couldn't run the 20 minutes, I would have huge doubts on being able to run the entire 5K race this coming Saturday.

Not sure if this helps any or not, but I ended up walking part of three of my first four official 5k races that I did.

You are making great progress, just go out this Saturday and enjoy the atmosphere. It is alot more fun when you aren't pressuring yourself or forcing yourself to meet a goal.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #440
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Not sure if this helps any or not, but I ended up walking part of three of my first four official 5k races that I did.

You are making great progress, just go out this Saturday and enjoy the atmosphere. It is alot more fun when you aren't pressuring yourself or forcing yourself to meet a goal.

Thanks. I have to remind myself that there are many other 5Ks out there every month to attempt a full run if I don't get it the first time. But it sure would be sweet if I could.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #441
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
What are you trying to get out of it? A sub-22 5-K is no joke, so are you looking to really get faster or just stay in shape?

I'm only really running because the physio told me I had to to help rebuild ankle leg strength from an Achilles rupture.

My initial target was to runs two half hour runs a week instead of one of my three bike rides, but I find I don't have time to do four sessions a week (my job has irregular start/finish hours). Three I can usually manage, but not four. So I'm having to give up a bit of cycling to do 3 runs and three rides every fortnight.

Once I'd got there i decided I may as well try and get the running up to an hour so it was close to my short bike ride in terms of time, as i felt I was doing less by running instead of cycling, and plan is to increase runs a mile a month at the moment. However i now think that running and cycling is beneficial - different muscles, seemingly different aerobic capacities (I jump off my bike after a 40k bike ride over a couple of decent hills round here and although sweaty and tired, I'm not catching my breath at all. Fair to say it's a different picture after a run!)

Yesterday was the first time since school 22 years ago that I have consciously set out to run any distance at something approaching as quick as I thought I could, and I was surprised at the difference between a few months ago thinking 3 miles was a long way to run without stopping, and yesterday realising how short 5k is compared to 5miles!

The end goal will basically be to stay in shape: I only cycle for fun and fitness, have no real intention to enter any crits or anything, and my guess is that's all the running will be. I'll probably end up next year entering my local 10k event as it starts 5 minutes walk from my house (didn't even realise it existed until two weeks ago!) but that's about it.

I've got a flat run which is down the canal towpath, and mapped out a run that takes in a couple of steepish hills which I guess will help, for variety at least, and from how I felt yesterday I can see now the logic of running longer and slower to help shorter distance pace

But I guess my question is 'is the reverse true: will running the occasional shorter distance more all-out help me in the longer runs?' I'm guessing even if it doesn't physically help, variety might be the reason to throw the occasional one inevy now and again.

Last edited by AlexB : 06-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #442
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

that is great progress, well done!

FM
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #443
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Congrats, that's a huge accomplishment!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #444
Ben E Lou

Today was the first time I can honestly say that I had "fun" on a run. We're at my in-laws' condo in the Western NC mountains for a long weekend away with another couple and their two kids. The hubby decided to go out on the run with me without knowing how hilly it was. We ran together for a mile at a slow pace, which made for a nice warm-up. There's a really rough hill near the end of the first mile, and he decided to walk after that. I ran the next section a little faster, but still at an easy pace for me. After 30 minutes total, I did 11 short uphill sprints: 15-second all-out sprints to the top, 45-second recovery walking down. Repeat. Really enjoyed that, and it seemed like a good substitute for my scheduled 3 miles + intervals run for today.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #445
AnalBumCover
College Starter

As I approach the end of my Couch-to-5K training (I'm technically done with training, I just need to run the final 5K as a formality), I wonder what's next for me and I would like your opinions on this.

I'll be out of the country (in the Philippines) for three weeks in July, and by looking at my itinerary, my running will be pretty limited during this time. And when I return, I may suffer a slight setback but probably not too much.

So here I will be, back from vacation and ready to pound the pavement once again. But which way? Train for 10K? Improve my 5K time? First build my mileage to 20/wk, then work on speed/distance?

Currently, I expect my first 5K to be completed in about 45 minutes. I would definitely like to improve on that, but what I hear from you guys is that this will be accomplished on its own as I continue to do the miles.

I have a lot of short term goals in my head. I just don't know which order I can achieve them, or whether I can tackle more than one with one type of training regimen.

My initial thought would be to just work on building my mileage first with no speed-work at this time. Once I maintain 20 miles/week, then I can branch out to a more specific goal.

What do you think FOFC?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #446
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My initial thought would be to just work on building my mileage first with no speed-work at this time. Once I maintain 20 miles/week, then I can branch out to a more specific goal.

What do you think FOFC?

That is pretty much what I did. Almost every single one of my friends told me that the two easiest ways to improve my running at the start was:

1) Run more
2) Lose weight

You are pretty close to where I was when I finished C25k both time wise and endurance wise. My suggestion is not to worry about any of the other speed work or such for a while. Just work on your aerobic base so you can get to the point that you can run without the walk breaks (even at a slower pace if needed). Just by running more, you'll get faster automatically as your fitness improves.

Obviously I don't mean go out and run 6 miles tomorrow or anything. Just take it gradual so you don't increase your risk of injury. Remember that running is a long term achievement and not something you can improve quickly.

What was suggested to me was to keep my 3 runs a week schedule and start turning one of the three into my "long run" for the week. Increase it by 1/2 a mile or 1 mile the next week and then run that distance the next 2-3 weeks to let my body get used to it. Then increase it again by a mile or so a few weeks later.

What I did while working on improving my fitness was mix in a few more 5k races over the course of a few months. it helped provide myself benchmarks and help me see my slight improvement as i went.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #447
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I did a C25K program last summer/fall and managed to complete one 5k with no walk breaks. I thought that was a pretty good accomplishment and jumped into the 5k2-10k program. Winter wasn't good for my routine and I am now back to not being able to run a full 5k without walk breaks. My new goal is to get back to 5k shape, then get to where I can run a 5k easily without thinking I am about to die, then work for the 10k. Basically, don't push too far too fast. The 5k is a great accomplishment, but there are many more accomplishments available before hitting the 10k mark.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #448
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

So how do you upload pics on Strava?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #449
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
So how do you upload pics on Strava?

You do it via instagram. If you have an instagram account, you can link your strava account to it. Then when you take and upload a picture to instagram, if it is in the same location/time as one of your runs on Strava, it will populate it into your run to show off

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #450
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For ABC (or others getting to the end of C25K and looking at where to go next).. here is a blog post from a running coach that talks about the 10% rule in running (or the fallacy of the rule) and gives some suggestions on how to add miles to start. He stresses once again that it is a long term thing, and pushing too high too fast can lead to injury risks.

How to Increase Mileage Safely: Forget the 10% Rule