Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #601
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Yeah, along those lines.

Here is the one that I bought according to my amazon order history. The price looks like it went up a bit since I bought it though.

Amazon.com: PB Elite Molded Foam Roller 3' Long, 6" Round (Most Popular Size): Sports & Outdoors

The main idea behind foam rolling is that it takes the place of a deep tissue massage. With the roller you can get spots for yourself without relying on someone else. I generally use it for my ITB, my calves and quads myself. (even though there are better items for massaging below the knees)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #602
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola,

Here is some tips on how to use a foam roller from runner's world:

How to Use a Foam Roller From Runner's World | Runner's World & Running Times

Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #603
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awesome! Thanks Alan! My high school cross country coach told me I was the least flexible runner he had ever coached, so I need all the help I can get.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #604
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

my son is in a hockey camp this week and I'm on vacation which means I have to get up every morning and drive him to the rink. Where I run around the house is pretty flat but I had scouted some hills and knew I would take my running shoes one morning and after dropping him off, would go on a little hill run, today was the day.

http://app.strava.com/activities/71161873

That hill is pretty brutal, in my eyes at least, but the view was pretty awesome, looking down to the St Lawrence River, seeing the Chateau Frontenac. Posted a picture that shows up on the Strava run...

Did the hill four times and was getting spent by the last run up and knew I had some elevation to make to get to my car so I called it a day for the hill then but I kept going up to 8 km. Fun run in a neighborhood I'm not used to run...

FM
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #605
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Looks like it was a fun run, and a great view!

My wife did a hill run this morning herself for 10k and sent me a picture via text half way up a mile long hill climb (250ft). She texted "I think I was crazy to try to do this".

She doesn't enjoy hills too much

Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #606
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola,

On hill workouts, I always used to like looking at the GAP on Strava. I am glad they recently added it back. I know that it is not necessarily precise, especially with GPS involved.. but it usually gives me a good idea of how much "effort" I had put into the hill when comparing it with my HR.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #607
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Looks like it was a fun run, and a great view!

It was, as crazy as pushing yourself may seem fun to the unitiated

And seriously, the view was very neat. I don't often even drive by this side of the city. We've take the ferry to Quebec City a few times, parking the car down the hill and walking in the Old Quebec part, but I'd never taken the time to take in the view on foot. The view is kind of hidden when you are coming down and it curves pretty sharply but when I came to see the river, I found it kinda breathtaking.

One thing I found hard, and my calves are talking to me right now, is putting on the brakes on the way down and always looking down. The sidewalk is a mess, all broken up. It's usable all right, but you gotta be careful not to take a bad step and with that kind of grade, it was even more important to that a fall going down...

Quote:
Dola,

On hill workouts, I always used to like looking at the GAP on Strava. I am glad they recently added it back. I know that it is not necessarily precise, especially with GPS involved.. but it usually gives me a good idea of how much "effort" I had put into the hill when comparing it with my HR.

Yeah, I was just looking at that, and even though the hill work was kind of "only" half the run, my overall average GAP is much better than my average pace so that's encouraging...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 07-31-2013 at 10:36 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #608
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post

One thing I found hard, and my calves are talking to me right now, is putting on the brakes on the way down and always looking down. The sidewalk is a mess, all broken up. It's usable all right, but you gotta be careful not to take a bad step and with that kind of grade, it was even more important to that a fall going down...

One of the ultra-marathoners that I read a blog from regularly comments that one of the biggest mistakes often made by long distance runners is that they work on hill work going up, but not going down. Running down a hill uses completely different muscles, and if yours aren't used to it, you could trash them pretty nicely in a race or speed run.

With hills, what I try to do is:

Ensure my step size is small (increased cadence). This is both up and down the hill. Going up a hill, a smaller foot step becomes more efficient when your body is doing its most work. I have learned to just motor my legs up the hill and they don't bother me too much now. Going down a hill, taking smaller steps help retain form and prevent things like hill striking or landing super hard on the pavement. Taking a shorter stride down the hill allows you to land smaller, keeps your center of balance better and gives you more control on loose surfaces or rough surfaces.

For a while when I first started hills, my calves and quads burned nicely, they really felt it for days after, but as you get used to doing them, they toughen up and you won't notice them as much in the future.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #609
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
One of the ultra-marathoners that I read a blog from regularly comments that one of the biggest mistakes often made by long distance runners is that they work on hill work going up, but not going down. Running down a hill uses completely different muscles, and if yours aren't used to it, you could trash them pretty nicely in a race or speed run.

With hills, what I try to do is:

Ensure my step size is small (increased cadence). This is both up and down the hill. Going up a hill, a smaller foot step becomes more efficient when your body is doing its most work. I have learned to just motor my legs up the hill and they don't bother me too much now. Going down a hill, taking smaller steps help retain form and prevent things like hill striking or landing super hard on the pavement. Taking a shorter stride down the hill allows you to land smaller, keeps your center of balance better and gives you more control on loose surfaces or rough surfaces.

For a while when I first started hills, my calves and quads burned nicely, they really felt it for days after, but as you get used to doing them, they toughen up and you won't notice them as much in the future.

good points, thanks for the input!

FM
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #610
Subby
lolzcat

A little disappointed in the challenge offerings from Strava this month. The 8K one is the only thing they have and there are 0 cycling challenges.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #611
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
A little disappointed in the challenge offerings from Strava this month. The 8K one is the only thing they have and there are 0 cycling challenges.

I keep watching, expecting something else to show up. In the least they said they were doing the monthly reoccurring challenge which hasn't been posted yet either.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #612
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I think we have enough runners here to form a team.

Running Events, Lifetime Highlights :: Ragnar Relay Series
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #613
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I think we have enough runners here to form a team.

Running Events, Lifetime Highlights :: Ragnar Relay Series

I know some people that run ragnar out here every year. It is a little more than my wife and our friends are ready for yet. We've been looking at relay races though and I think we may try to fit in a marathon relay at least this fall.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #614
digamma
Torchbearer

I have always been tempted by Ragnar.

The new trail run series seems more doable.

I'm also tempted by the Bourbon Trail relay. But could very possibly die of dehydration/bourbon intake on that one.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #615
Subby
lolzcat

I will always do Ragnar. The six person team concept seems the most nuts, so I would definitely want to do that one.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #616
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have a bad feeling that I won't be able to keep ahead of Subby in fitleagues this month if he's biking 150 miles a week plus running half marathons.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #617
aston217
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Settings > Audio Cues.

Haha! Thanks. I had unchecked all the audio cues (time, distance, avg pace, etc), which stopped the cues from happening without stopping the announcement at the start & end, but after your suggestion I went back and found I had to set 'Time Trigger' and 'Distance Trigger' to 'none' as well, under Audio Timing.

At least I think that's what did it. Thanks, in any case.

aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #618
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just an FYI, I haven't stopped running - just having problems with the connector to my Garmin watch again. 2nd time in about six weeks, pretty frustrating.

I did get my 8K in, think it was in 43:30 range but very much want to pull up the watch data (when I can get it charged again) and correlate with heart rate info and all the other good stuff I'm normally able to capture.

Also, it has been a little weird running this week without having a definitive date for when my next 5K should be. I think I need to get a couple on the books for September so I've got that out there to prod me along a bit in terms of pushing myself on the runs. Not having that firm date set (besides "sometime in September") allows my mind to get a little too lazy during the early/mid stages of the runs when I'm figuring out pace.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #619
Icy
Pro Starter

I have started the 10k in less than 60 minutes 16 weeks training plan in Run keeper. Was going to do my own plan, but finally decided to use that one that seems similar to what i was planning, 4 days per week, mixing slow, tempo, interval and long runs and it's easier to track with the app what i need to run every training day. I wish you could design and import your own plans.

My current best is 64:30 and it had a big ending uphill, so maybe under 60 min won't be that hard (and it's not that the time is very good either) and should aim for under 55, but... let's go step by step as in Sept i want to go back to the gym for some upper body training, plus the mountain bike rides on Sundays with friends... there aren't enough week days for all that.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #620
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Just an FYI, I haven't stopped running - just having problems with the connector to my Garmin watch again. 2nd time in about six weeks, pretty frustrating.

What is the problem that you are having?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #621
Poli
FOFC Survivor

2.2 miles today. During my 5 minute run near the end, I could feel the tank getting depleted. Pushed through. Hoping for a better distance in a couple of days.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #622
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
What is the problem that you are having?

The four-prongs where the adapter plugs into the watch - I've seen it stop getting a clean connection so the watch will not charge. Or allow me to sync up to the PC, since the PC doesn't recognize the USB device.

The problem the first time was in the "charger" device, rather than the watch itself. I took it to a Garmin store, and ended up ordering a replacement watch through Amazon ... just swapped out the part that was identified as the issue and was back operational for a few weeks. But seeing the same behavior again, so wondering if I should have shipped back the whole watch.

I'm not sure why they need to charge this way, rather than using a connector similar to the ones I see in current cell phones. Or Bluetooth. Or something that doesn't require what appears to be a custom connection that is easily damaged and blows the whole value proposition with the watch.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #623
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I had problems like that until I upgraded my garmin USB drivers on my computer for some reason. It would just not be detected by my computer at times and I would have to fiddle with it endlessly. Or sometimes when it was detected, later on I would come and find it somehow stopped charging and had run the battery down trying to reconnect.

Once I upgraded the USB drivers, all of those problems went away for me. Not sure if it is the same issues you are having, but a 3 minute thing to try to see perhaps?

Garmin: USB Drivers Updates & Downloads

Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #624
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I went all out for my 8K run this morning. Wanted to keep a 4:45 per km pace and finished at an average of 4:41 over 8:3 km, VERY happy about that.

Still thinking about entering my first ever race which would be a 10k on August 18. Activities are about to restart at the dojo and there would be a big happening on the weekend of August 24-25 around here, centered around the local marathon, but I can't take part in anything over that weekend since it's our open door weekend at the dojo.

FM
Old 08-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #625
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Races are great fun, you should do it. It usually is a great atmosphere, and depending on what type of race you sign up for, there might be great entertainment or goodies available too.

From a running perspective, the adrenaline boost you get from during the race is usually good for a little improved performance too!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #626
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've shelved the running for a bit because every time I think my ankle is better and I go for a run, I end up re-aggravating it. So, for now I'm trying to be content with walking a lot and using the roller thing that Alan suggested to loosen my tight hips.

Running was easier when I was a teenager.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #627
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I love when I luck out and get great weather on a speed day!

Ran my 5 miles (8k) 51 seconds per mile faster than my 5 mile race I ran in the start of May. Days like this help me feel good about the progress I'm making!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #628
Subby
lolzcat

LIKE!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #629
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's awesome! (I'm jealous.)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #630
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Do your times on strava include any warm-up/cool-down periods or just the main part of your workout? I noticed of couple of separate posts for cool-down, but I was wondering what everyone else does?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #631
Kodos
Resident Alien

I separate out warm-ups/cool-downs from the run.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #632
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Do your times on strava include any warm-up/cool-down periods or just the main part of your workout? I noticed of couple of separate posts for cool-down, but I was wondering what everyone else does?

Just the main part for me, a little walking before/after I leave out completely.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #633
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I separate out warm-ups/cool-downs from the run.

Me too.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #634
hoopsguy
General Manager

For me, if I know that I've got a longer walk back home (>1 mile, usually) then I'll track it separately.

Or if it is something like a tempo/interval run, I'll include warm-up/cool-down.

But if it is just a couple tenths of a kilometer, I don't separate it ... will include if I'm not worried about time, will exclude if I am targeting some kind of a performance time.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #635
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

you've probably seen it from me at least. I don't really do warm-up, mostly some walking before I hit the start button on my watch but I do stop my watch when I end running, reset the watch and start it back up right away because I like walking after a run. I then upload both workout sessions in Strava and set the second one as a walk. Since I usually walk at a good pace after a run, I also want to keep track of calories for that walk...

FM
Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #636
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't do a warm up on most runs. Since most of my runs are "easy pace" they serve as their own warm up. For speed runs, I'll do a warm up and cool down and just include it all in the same work out since it doesn't really matter to me. The only time I separate it out is for races, where I want it as a separate activity.

I don't track my walking to or from my runs though (roughly .2 miles each way usually)

Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #637
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well, I just confirmed it, I just signed up for my first race ever, a 10k that will take place on Sunday August 18.

The course is at an outdoor recreational/leisure park (don't really know how to translate it to be honest) that's in the town where I grew up and where my parents still live although they will be out of town on that weekend. Wife has said she will come to cheer me on.

It's a 5k loop that is very flat that we'll be doing twice:
http://www.lafoulee.com/Comm/Galipot...20Galipote.pdf

My current PR is 49:05 for a 10km stretch within any run but 49:45 from the start of a run (in that same run btw) but after holding a 4:41 per km average pace over the 8k challenge, I'm hoping to be able to do 4:45 over 10k. That'd translate to a 47:30 time for 10k.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 08-09-2013 at 09:24 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #638
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Awesome FM! You're going to rock it I am sure. Your cardiovascular seems really strong, so just make sure your legs are rested and I'm sure you'll break your PR easily. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #639
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Big day today.

Run Profile | First sub-2hr Half Marathon | Times and Records | Strava

And overall it was a slight uphill. Very pleased.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #640
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Very nice!
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #641
HerRealName
College Prospect

Great job, Ben!
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #642
AlexB
Pro Starter

That's amazing! I'm not good at running at the sort of pace that wold allow me to run for 2 hours/13 miles, but want to try and work on that. At te moment though can't imagine running that far!

Did what is becoming my standard 10k yesterday. I promised myself I would take it a bit easier: legs were a little tired and i had to my rehab exercises on my calves immediately before, so just planned to do the distance rather than try too hard.

Turns out I broke my PB by 43 seconds! Normally I come back off a 10k looking like I've had my own personal shower folling me: I'm so drenched in sweat. Yesterday, despite being quicker, I was only slightly sweaty, and not anywhere as out of breath as normal. So think i must have been going out too fast previously, and dying over the last mile (which is when the sweat usually pours)

Will try deliberately holding back for the first 5k again next time, as after a 45:10, a sub 45 time is suddenly becoming realistic.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #643
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great job Ben and Alex!!

I broke a new personal record for myself, first time for me running over 40 miles in a week (41.3), and first time combined biking and running that I've topped 100 miles in a week (100.3).
Next week is a back off week for me, and then two more weeks of increasing miles before my taper.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #644
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I had problems like that until I upgraded my garmin USB drivers on my computer for some reason. It would just not be detected by my computer at times and I would have to fiddle with it endlessly. Or sometimes when it was detected, later on I would come and find it somehow stopped charging and had run the battery down trying to reconnect.

Once I upgraded the USB drivers, all of those problems went away for me. Not sure if it is the same issues you are having, but a 3 minute thing to try to see perhaps?

Garmin: USB Drivers Updates & Downloads

just thought I'd comment on this. Ever since I got my Forerunner 210, I had been having connection issues with the USB/clip thing not always connecting and/or being recognized by my computer but ever since I downloaded this driver update, it's been much, much better,

FM
Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #645
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I hate rest days. I am having to fight the urge so badly to go out for a bike ride today.

I have a feeling that I give in though, my body is going to implode at some point, so trying to stay strong.. the weather is just so nice right now....

Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #646
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

ish, after a couple weeks of very nice weather to run in, they are forecasting a crazy hot kinda day, for us at least, for this Sunday. Something like 80 that feels like 90...

Race starts at 10

FM
Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #647
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
ish, after a couple weeks of very nice weather to run in, they are forecasting a crazy hot kinda day, for us at least, for this Sunday. Something like 80 that feels like 90...

Race starts at 10

FM

Still lots of time for the weather to change between now and then.

Thats what happened on my first 10k race in June. went from 70s to the first 90+ day of the year right on race day. I went too fast and wiped myself out half way. Sometimes its just not a good running day.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #648
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Still lots of time for the weather to change between now and then.

Thats what happened on my first 10k race in June. went from 70s to the first 90+ day of the year right on race day. I went too fast and wiped myself out half way. Sometimes its just not a good running day.

oh, I know, especially around here. We could wake up on Sunday and it's around 60 and windy and rainy, ya just never know...

I was thinking I could push closer to 4:35 per km (7:22 per mile) over 10k if it's kinda cool, but if it's much warmer, I'd probably be safe at 4:45 (7:39)... Then again, I'm not all that sure that temperature would have that much effect on me. I've never felt like it did much on my heart rate in the past, not too sure about leg strength...

Anyway, that's just something I have no control over, so other that keeping an eye out for it, no need to really get worried about it...

FM
Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #649
Subby
lolzcat

Our boy Alan T 2nd this month at Fit Leagues.

Can anyone here catch him?

Last edited by Subby : 08-13-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #650
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not I!