Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #51
corbes
College Benchwarmer

it was new to fof8

corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #52
Firefly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorbubba View Post
I cannot find it, it only offers you a chance to show formations and not player contributions to a play

Make sure to check "add detailed information to game logs" in Game Options
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #53
victorbubba
n00b

its not there in fof7
victorbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #54
victorbubba
n00b

it only allows you to show formations
victorbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #55
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorbubba View Post
its not there in fof7
Of course not. Check the title and date of the thread...
Old 11-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #56
jcard
n00b

I know this is an old thread, but as a new user I have been looking back through this board to see what I can learn from earlier discussions. I have a question about the play log in the very first post (though it also applies to some of the subsequently posted logs in this thread):

The description of the play says that the quarterback passed away from a double teamThe defense was double-teaming the tight end, who was an outlet target on this play. The touchdown was caught by the wide receiver who was the primary target, a double-covered outlet target wouldn’t seem to figure into his decision-making (unless the presumption is that he he cycled through his targets and returned to his primary target, though I don’t know if plays are designed to allow for that with regards to timing and defensive pressure considerations).
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #57
QuikSand
lolzcat

you will pull out all your hair if you really, really want to map every tiny thing in this game onto real life football and expect it to stand up to that fine tooth scrutiny

i don't think the playing this game at the highest level requires anything more than "the QB rating for 'read defense' connects to his ability to recognize and avoid double teams by the defense"
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #58
mac88
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard View Post
I know this is an old thread, but as a new user I have been looking back through this board to see what I can learn from earlier discussions. I have a question about the play log in the very first post (though it also applies to some of the subsequently posted logs in this thread):

The description of the play says that the quarterback passed away from a double teamThe defense was double-teaming the tight end, who was an outlet target on this play. The touchdown was caught by the wide receiver who was the primary target, a double-covered outlet target wouldn’t seem to figure into his decision-making (unless the presumption is that he he cycled through his targets and returned to his primary target, though I don’t know if plays are designed to allow for that with regards to timing and defensive pressure considerations).

I'm no expert but for starters its not as common to see a double team on a TE. I'm pretty sure they need to have a significant difference in route running compared to their wr teammates. Anyways the defensive call was to double best receiver, or double second best receiver (which is mostly done by highest route running bar). And the offense called a good play, the defense was doubling a guy who wasn't a primary or secondary target. So in theory the defensive call took out one of their own guys and the offense capitalized.

Also, join a multiplayer league asap! No reason not to, don't be worried about what you know and what you don't know. There's some great guys in the league forums that can help you out, and same with this forum. Multiplayer is incredible.

Last edited by mac88 : 11-21-2021 at 09:25 PM.
mac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:39 AM   #59
HansMellman
n00b

Pretty new to the game and just having my mind repeatedly blown by some of the threads in these forums! I'm overwhelmed by the data and just trying to figure out what is useful and what isnt.

Was there ever a tool/utility created to compile these grades at the end of the logs? I'm not great with excel so would be grateful of any input from anyone!

Also in reference to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
At first quick glance even that is too low. it looks like somewhere around 91.5% is an average performance score.

Is that a benchmark I should be looking for? I'm currently cutting my teeth in SP until I get a bit more familiar with everything
HansMellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #60
QuikSand
lolzcat

My sincere advice:

if you're genuinely new to the game, start with the basics... FOF 101 and FOF 102 stuff

the stuff in this thread is more like FOF 528 Advanced Preseason Minutae, a higher levelcourse with a bunch of pre-requisite classes
Old 07-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #61
HansMellman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
My sincere advice:

if you're genuinely new to the game, start with the basics... FOF 101 and FOF 102 stuff

the stuff in this thread is more like FOF 528 Advanced Preseason Minutae, a higher levelcourse with a bunch of pre-requisite classes

Thanks for the response Quiksand, I suppose I'm a sucker for the analytics but yeah, maybe walk before I try to run. Any advice on concepts to start with? I've played almost continuously for the last week or so, so I'm familiar with the gameplay loop and have also started experimenting with the DA too the last couple of days. Watched all of the videos from Squirrel and yourself too, all useful stuff!
Old 07-15-2022, 08:52 PM   #62
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'd say:

-read up on what makes for a likely-hit draft pick (combines connecting to ratings bars, that sort of thing)

-either use a gameplan you find here (or online somewhere), or else go with an in-game "guided gameplan" for your offense built around your OC's preference...and get comfortable with that offensive style

-get comfortable with cap management, and how to allocate funds under the cap to various positions, how and when to use the "veteran minimum salary" and the like (all this should help you prioritize when drafting, renegotiating, and so forth)... and learn to think in terms of "% of the salary cap" rather than dollar amounts

-get familiar with your receivers group, it's the highest bang for the buck when it comes to investing your time in the deeper details... learn the ratings (BPR, GD, Courage) and what they all mean, learn the importance of "Route Running" and then work to put your receivers into situations where their skills are a good fit

-save defensive gameplanning for later, it's pretty hard to do meaningfully better than just asking for the game to Recommend (aka "Rex")
Old 07-15-2022, 09:00 PM   #63
QuikSand
lolzcat

oh, and go ahead and join a multi-player league...nothing will drive you to pay attention like being compelled to care about everything, and there's no substitute for getting your ass kicked
Old 07-15-2022, 09:04 PM   #64
QuikSand
lolzcat

here's a league forum... i think it has a few openings, it's toward the end of its regular season, great time to jump in

Throwback Football League - Index page
Old 07-17-2022, 05:04 AM   #65
HansMellman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'd say:

-read up on what makes for a likely-hit draft pick (combines connecting to ratings bars, that sort of thing)

-either use a gameplan you find here (or online somewhere), or else go with an in-game "guided gameplan" for your offense built around your OC's preference...and get comfortable with that offensive style

-get comfortable with cap management, and how to allocate funds under the cap to various positions, how and when to use the "veteran minimum salary" and the like (all this should help you prioritize when drafting, renegotiating, and so forth)... and learn to think in terms of "% of the salary cap" rather than dollar amounts

-get familiar with your receivers group, it's the highest bang for the buck when it comes to investing your time in the deeper details... learn the ratings (BPR, GD, Courage) and what they all mean, learn the importance of "Route Running" and then work to put your receivers into situations where their skills are a good fit

-save defensive gameplanning for later, it's pretty hard to do meaningfully better than just asking for the game to Recommend (aka "Rex")

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm currently trying to familiarise myself with the guided gameplans etc using some resources from Corbes's posts here. I'll take note on the cap point too, I'll see what's in the help file about the veterans minimum etc.

Thanks for the MP links too! I think i'll have to polish my skills in single player for a while first, not to mention refine my excel and python skills too! I've watched all the videos about MP from everyone and I know how hyper competitive it is! Looks like great fun, currently watching all of Claystone's videos.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #66
mwalter
n00b

Franchise Football League has several openings. It's affiliated with several other FOF leagues.

fof-ffl.com

A new season starts in about a week.
mwalter is offline   Reply With Quote