Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #11201
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In case there's any doubt whether Trump is a white nationalist,

I think this is a big a deal, but of course it’s no big deal. I just can’t see how one could not be a white nationalist a still align with this guy. There has to be a limit to tribalism right? Right?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #11202
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I think this is a big a deal, but of course it’s no big deal. I just can’t see how one could not be a white nationalist a still align with this guy. There has to be a limit to tribalism right? Right?

The thing about tribalism is that it walks hand in glove with otherism. When your worldview is constructed around "us" versus "others," the tribe ends up getting a long damn leash.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:41 AM   #11203
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Yes. You note the plural there? No one of them is solely responsible. If there are more than one, then any given one is "a" key, not "the" key.

Get rid of NATO, the WTO, and other parts of the post-WW2 order, and the EU by itself ain't gonna do shit. But European integration in general is how you avoid world-spanning conflicts.

When Europe ignites, the world burns.

So you do not think that the UN is a better substitute than the EU as the third leg?

Faults and all, I think its a more respected institution globally when you are talking about Africa, Asia (not sure about South/Latin America). I see getting rid of NATO and WTO and the UN still has a chance to "do shit" by itself.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-13-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #11204
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
My favorite part of the whole Strzok debacle is when (D) Gerry Connolly read emails to him where the writer said negative things about Trump during the election, and asked him if he wrote them. After he said no, he revealed who did write them-all Republican members of Congress.

Found a link for it: At FBI Agent's Hearing, Congressman Shades Republicans Who Also Criticized Trump | HuffPost

That's pretty funny.

I wanted to see the reaction of the GOP members while this exchange was happening. I found a video but it didn't pan to the other members unfortunately.

Gerry Connolly on Twitter: "Republicans seem obsessed with Peter Strzok's texts about Donald Trump so I read theirs. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
#Receipts #RussianShowTrial… https://t.co/3z9hKek8A0"
Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #11205
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I think the context was, he was complaining that what he said wasn't nearly as bad as Col. Sanders using the N word. I don't see that as being some sort of acceptance of the use - although, as mentioned previously, he was stupid to even say it, and his point was not all that persuasive.

I've not read where this was a pattern with him? If not a pattern and it happened as stated below, definitely stupid and insensitive, but not sure it rises to him being a racist/racial slur.

The article did say the other company on the phone moved to terminate its contract with Papa John's which indicates it may have been very bad e.g. what we read doesn't convey the tone, length of the discussion etc. Kudo's to the company on stepping away from what I assume to be a lucrative deal on principle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkir.../#781c9d844cfc
Quote:
John Schnatter—the founder and public face of pizza chain Papa John’s—used the N-word on a conference call in May. Schnatter confirmed the incident in an emailed statement to Forbes on Wednesday. He resigned as chairman of Papa John's on Wednesday evening.

The call was arranged between Papa John’s executives and marketing agency Laundry Service. It was designed as a role-playing exercise for Schnatter in an effort to prevent future public-relations snafus. Schnatter caused an uproar in November 2017 when he waded into the debate over national anthem protests in the NFL and partly blamed the league for slowing sales at Papa John’s.

On the May call, Schnatter was asked how he would distance himself from racist groups online. He responded by downplaying the significance of his NFL statement. “Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s,” Schnatter said, before complaining that Sanders never faced public backlash.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, a source familiar with the matter said. After learning about the incident, Laundry Service owner Casey Wasserman moved to terminate the company’s contract with Papa John’s.

In an emailed statement on Wednesday afternoon, Schnatter confirmed the allegations. "News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true," he said. "Regardless of the context, I apologize. Simply stated, racism has no place in our society."
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #11206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sounds like a guy whose inability to communicate suggests his place is in the kitchen.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #11207
Jukeman
Mascot

Thanks Trump! I just got laid off.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/internatio...s-1/1297547162

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #11208
JPhillips
General Manager

This new GOP standard of investigators can't show any bias against those they are investigating is going to have profound impacts at the state and local level.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #11209
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
This new GOP standard of investigators can't show any bias against those they are investigating is going to have profound impacts at the state and local level.

I guess police can no longer investigate black people then.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #11210
bronconick
College Starter

Mueller indicts a dozen Russians for hacking the DNC days before Trump goes to meet his boss in Helsinki.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #11211
JPhillips
General Manager

Mueller indicts a dozen Russian intelligence folks, including naming Guccifer 2.0.

Roger Stone has already admitted to emailing Guccifer. They're getting closer.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #11212
JPhillips
General Manager

Oh my. Indictment says a member of Congress contacted Guccifer 2.0 and asked for stolen documents in August 2016.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #11213
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Mueller indicts a dozen Russian intelligence folks, including naming Guccifer 2.0.

Roger Stone has already admitted to emailing Guccifer. They're getting closer.

I imagine Stone flipped a while ago
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #11214
Ksyrup

This is brilliant:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #11215
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
So you do not think that the UN is a better substitute than the EU as the third leg?

Faults and all, I think its a more respected institution globally when you are talking about Africa, Asia (not sure about South/Latin America). I see getting rid of NATO and WTO and the UN still has a chance to "do shit" by itself.

My dude, I deal with goalpost-moving shit enough with my parents. I do not need it from you.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #11216
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Look, no, you know what?

The UN is not a "more respected institution" globally. It isn't any kind of a model for integration, particularly because the Security Council is essentially a giant pissing contest. Any of the permanent members can veto anything that comes before the Council, so it's essentially been a proxy for national interest power games between the US and Russia/the USSR for the last 70 years.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in the world order, but the EU is better for European stability than the UN, as currently constituted, ever could be.

Next time try to focus on what's being discussed instead of moving goalposts. That's obnoxious.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #11217
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I've not read where this was a pattern with him? If not a pattern and it happened as stated below, definitely stupid and insensitive, but not sure it rises to him being a racist/racial slur.

The article did say the other company on the phone moved to terminate its contract with Papa John's which indicates it may have been very bad e.g. what we read doesn't convey the tone, length of the discussion etc. Kudo's to the company on stepping away from what I assume to be a lucrative deal on principle.
I don't think he has a pattern of racist statements, but he definitely has a pattern of saying really dumb things (and quite possibly being either an alcoholic or a lush).

Also, maybe it was partly a moral stand, but I also assume as a marketing/PR agency they just realized "holy shit, if this is how he talks when we're trying to explain to him how to handle the issue with the media, it's only a matter of time until he gets embroiled in new controversies" and the headache/potential damage to their reputation having a client like that just isn't worth the contract.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #11218
Ksyrup

Yeah, the PR firm leaving seemed to be more of the same "we're just cutting our losses now before we get caught up in the zero tolerance/knee jerk reaction crowd" momentum. Their comment was something along the lines of differing with him on how to address his PR difficulties.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #11219
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Next time try to focus on what's being discussed instead of moving goalposts. That's obnoxious.

I'm not sure I understand your "moving goal post" statement. I guess its because you think I snuck UN in there? My original response in #11177 was:

Quote:
NATO relevance has declined but since we are in a pseudo/beginnings of a new cold war, I'll buy it. I can also see WTO with a process to resolve economic/trade issues.

EU goes a little too far. Regional peace maybe but don't see global peace. I would put the UN before the EU.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #11220
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Also, maybe it was partly a moral stand, but I also assume as a marketing/PR agency they just realized "holy shit, if this is how he talks when we're trying to explain to him how to handle the issue with the media, it's only a matter of time until he gets embroiled in new controversies" and the headache/potential damage to their reputation having a client like that just isn't worth the contract.

Good point. Probably some moral and also some business sense in cutting their losses early.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #11221
RainMaker
General Manager

Must be a coincidence.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #11222
RainMaker
General Manager

Sure seems like collusion to me.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #11223
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Sure seems like collusion to me.

Any idea who is the "person" in "... person who was in regular contact with senior members of the presidential campaign"?

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-13-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #11224
digamma
Torchbearer

Roger Stone
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #11225
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Any idea who is the "person" in "... person who was in regular contact with senior members of the presidential campaign"?

Probably Roger Stone. He's admitted to talking with Guccifer. Even posted screenshots of their conversations on his website.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #11226
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Based on the names in Mueller's indictment today, we can safely call the investigation a vich hunt.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #11227
Ksyrup

NYT Headline:

Louisville Might Rename Papa John's Stadium After Racial Slur

I know I don't have a vote, but that seems like the wrong decision...
Old 07-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #11228
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Based on the names in Mueller's indictment today, we can safely call the investigation a vich hunt.
Oof.

Also, has the term spearphishing been around for a while now? That's a pretty cool one.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #11229
RainMaker
General Manager

Lot of corporate welfare for the Pence family.

Report: Pence family's failed gas stations cost taxpayers $20 million - CBS News
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #11230
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think with the new indictments out today, things are going to be moving very quickly on Trump/Russia. Rumor is that the Freedom Caucus is going to impeach Rosenstein may be as soon as Monday, we'll have to see what Mueller has planned if that happens:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...in-soon-report
Old 07-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #11231
Edward64
Head Coach

Stephen Colbert had a pretty funny monologue. The link had some video of the exchanges. I think the best ones was at approx. 5:46 and 10:00

https://www.salon.com/2018/07/13/wat...ional-hearing/

Oh yeah, I could definitely see the smirk.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-13-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:00 PM   #11232
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Even posted screenshots of their conversations on his website.

Made me immediately think of this scene from the Wire (NSFW, obviously): Criminal Conspiracy Notes - YouTube
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:19 PM   #11233
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think with the new indictments out today, things are going to be moving very quickly on Trump/Russia. Rumor is that the Freedom Caucus is going to impeach Rosenstein may be as soon as Monday, we'll have to see what Mueller has planned if that happens:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...in-soon-report

Would be a dumb move by the GOP. Zero chance the impeachment would ever be successful and would likely help Dems quite a bit in mid-terms.

The fact that trump is the person the Republicans are ready to die on a hill for is so strange.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #11234
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'd do anything for a chance to vote for a Republican who actually gives a damn about an America that extends beyond the future their eyes will see. A real Republican, one from the days when the Democrats were all about small government.

It confuses me how that switch even happened.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #11235
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Rumor is that the Freedom Caucus is going to impeach Rosenstein may be as soon as Monday

I'm not usually the activist type, but I'm ready to go on this:

https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller...events/search/
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 AM   #11236
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm not usually the activist type, but I'm ready to go on this:

https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller...events/search/

thanks for the link. Nice to see some advance organizing on this.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #11237
JPhillips
General Manager

The way those indictments lay out names, times, even search terms used, should scare the shit out of all the Trump folks.

They did it and Mueller knows how.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #11238
PilotMan
Head Coach

Was Giuliani out on the talk circuit today (or will be he tomorrow)? If not, I think we might have some guesses as to why.

I'm trying not to speculate about what we don't know, just to keep from having an expectation about what might be there. So it's quite eye opening when these little bits come out about what they do know, and it seems to be much more detailed than I was expecting.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #11239
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Was Giuliani out on the talk circuit today (or will be he tomorrow)? If not, I think we might have some guesses as to why.

I'm trying not to speculate about what we don't know, just to keep from having an expectation about what might be there. So it's quite eye opening when these little bits come out about what they do know, and it seems to be much more detailed than I was expecting.

Latest tweet from him was this today. None of the regular tweeters I follow are talking about him being on any talk shows that I can see:

"Congressman Steve Cohen wants to give biased renegade Agent Strzok the Purple Heart. Now he wants to impeach the President even though DOJ disclosed that the latest indictments yield no evidence of American involvement. This is pathological.:

Appararently, he's been off twitter since 2016.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-14-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #11240
Thomkal
Head Coach

So some idiot on Twitter posted a picture of a rally in London supporting Tommy Robinson (white supremacist) and Trump, claiming it was larger than the anti-Trump rally, and won't be covered by MSM as a result. Of course it would help if the picture was in London. It's not, its in Cairo Egypt and has a lot of people praying..and not to Trump I can guarantee.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #11241
JPhillips
General Manager

lol

Schnatters defense is that he got in trouble because he wouldn't say n!@#@!

Quote:
“Believe it or not, Terry, the agency was promoting that vocabulary, and that [word]. And I made it real clear, listen, we’re not gonna go there, we’re not gonna talk about this. And they pushed me and it upset me, and I just said ‘listen, other people have used that word. I don’t, and will not use that word and people at Papa John’s don’t use that.’ And that was the comment. But they actually wanted to get into that vocabulary, and I said absolutely not.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #11242
Atocep
Coordinator

A glimpse into why Republicans have been throwing a fit over Sacha Baron Cohen's new show.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...merica-review/
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #11243
Thomkal
Head Coach

Interesting article on the British investigation into the ties between Cambridge Analytca, Facebook, the Leave EU campaign, and Trump/Russia:

Elizabeth Denham: ‘Data crimes are real crimes’ | UK news | The Guardian
Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #11244
RainMaker
General Manager

You should really read through the indictment. It's fascinating in how advanced Russia is in cyber warfare. Much further ahead than we are.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/13/175688...ment-full-text

I thought one of the interesting things was how they took defunct local papers and created Facebook pages for them. Then linked out to legit stories and built up followings. Like the Chicago Daily News hasn't existed since the 70's but still had a semi-recognizable name. They got a lot of followers.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07...ricans-report/

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #11245
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
You should really read through the indictment. It's fascinating in how advanced Russia is in cyber warfare. Much further ahead than we are.

They have been actively using, learning, and adapting cyber war with the Ukraine for well over a decade, in the field. There's next to no risk for them in that battle. I'm guessing that the US has some pretty good work behind the scenes too, but I'd rather just know it's there and not hear about it in a world court or in Newsweek.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #11246
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, part of being good at this stuff is not having your successes and techniques known by everyone in the world.

I doubt they are more advanced than the US and I'm sure most of America's exploits remain unknown.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #11247
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah, part of being good at this stuff is not having your successes and techniques known by everyone in the world.

I doubt they are more advanced than the US and I'm sure most of America's exploits remain unknown.

Correct.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #11248
digamma
Torchbearer

That was quite the Q&A session. Not sure how you go to work tomorrow if you are Dan Coates or others in intelligence.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #11249
whomario
Pro Starter

So the american president just pretty much sold out all american intelligence agencies and sided with the foreign power at fault based on a single one on one talk. And Germany is the one wholly in Russia's pocket he said
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #11250
Thomkal
Head Coach

And Putin said he wanted Trump to win.