Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #11251
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm guessing that the US has some pretty good work behind the scenes too, but I'd rather just know it's there and not hear about it in a world court or in Newsweek.

I doubt it's as good as this. They got the ruling party in this country to lick their boots.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #11252
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #11253
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

i kept thinking of this scene through the whole press conference

339B049B-5440-44AD-8B71-51B50A242E4D.jpeg
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #11254
Thomkal
Head Coach

Germany's foreign secretary after the summit: "We can no longer completely rely on the White House"
Old 07-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #11255
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Germany's foreign secretary after the summit: "We can no longer completely rely on the White House"

The language used is no coincidence, because in that same interview he was also emphasizing the similarity in interests and the good relations between Germany/Europe and "the US" since WW2, while explicitly stating (and not for the first time) that one can't rely on "the White House". Not the first time there has been made a distinction like that from politicians over here.

The general impression i am getting is that basically Germany and the EU as a whole will pretty much wait this shitshow out and is fine treading water rather than make any decision based on making Trump happy. And in the meantime they will work on contingency plans/policies in case the crazy person gets another term.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #11256
JPhillips
General Manager

This woman was very close to the NRA.

Quote:
A criminal complaint was unsealed today in the District of Columbia charging a Russian national with conspiracy to act as an agent of the Russian Federation within the United States without prior notification to the Attorney General.

The announcement was made by Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jessie K. Liu, and Nancy McNamara, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office.

Mariia Butina, 29, a Russian citizen residing in Washington D.C., was arrested on July 15, 2018, in Washington, D.C., and made her initial appearance this afternoon before Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. She was ordered held pending a hearing set for July 18, 2018.

According to the affidavit in support of the complaint, from as early as 2015 and continuing through at least February 2017, Butina worked at the direction of a high-level official in the Russian government who was previously a member of the legislature of the Russian Federation and later became a top official at the Russian Central Bank. This Russian official was sanctioned by the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control in April 2018.

The court filings detail the Russian official’s and Butina’s efforts for Butina to act as an agent of Russia inside the United States by developing relationships with U.S. persons and infiltrating organizations having influence in American politics, for the purpose of advancing the interests of the Russian Federation. The filings also describe certain actions taken by Butina to further this effort during multiple visits from Russia and, later, when she entered and resided in the United States on a student visa. The filings allege that she undertook her activities without officially disclosing the fact that she was acting as an agent of Russian government, as required by law.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #11257
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gonna get a head start on this, I'm bad at learning new languages.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9DY6WP...=9909182750601
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #11258
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm not a lawyer, so I may be misreading things, but this affidavit is Holy Shit bonkers.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-re...80766/download
Old 07-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #11259
bronconick
College Starter

Tom Winter‏Verified account @Tom_Winter

BREAKING / NBC News: DOJ announces the arrest of Russian National Mariia Butina, age 29, for "infiltrating organizations having influence in American politics, for the purpose of advancing the interests of the Russian Federation." She was arrested yesterday.

She was one that was reaching out to the NRA
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #11260
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm not a lawyer, so I may be misreading things, but this affidavit is Holy Shit bonkers.

Access Denied

I'm not either, but I'd say its pretty damning. Can't wait until they reveal who "US person 1 and 2" are.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-16-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #11261
JPhillips
General Manager

It's worse than the worst case scenario. The Russians were using a GOP operative to establish backchannel communication between the Russians and GOP leaders through the NRA.

Makes all the Kushner/Flynn backchannel stuff during the transition more interesting, too.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #11262
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 07-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #11264
Edward64
Head Coach

2020 can't get here soon enough.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #11265
Thomkal
Head Coach

Judge in Manafort's case postponed a meeting on change of venue until next Mon morning. possible flipping?

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-16-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #11266
Thomkal
Head Coach

Guess I was right about things moving quickly about Trump/Russia
Old 07-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #11267
Thomkal
Head Coach

And now a video from 2015 Freedom Fest where Trump was asked a question about US/Russia relations. And the woman asking? Maria Butina

Trump answers question on Russia at FreedomFest 2015 - YouTube
Old 07-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #11268
kingfc22
Head Coach

Give it 24 hours and Trump will do something even more absurd and go on multiple twitter rants which the media will then follow and this will all blow over.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #11269
RainMaker
General Manager

Where's Cam? He's got some explaining to do.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #11270
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Give it 24 hours and Trump will do something even more absurd and go on multiple twitter rants which the media will then follow and this will all blow over.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Trump's problem is that Mueller doesn't care about any of that.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #11271
JPhillips
General Manager

There's going to be a lot of these. That's the arrested spy with her Russian minder.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #11272
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A glimpse into why Republicans have been throwing a fit over Sacha Baron Cohen's new show.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...merica-review/

First episode was just on over here: first half was not great:

First section was Bernie Sanders basically being professional and not calling him a twat. Wasn’t funny either.

Second section was an old Republican couple being grossed out by, well pretty gross/stupid conversation, but being polite and not throwing him out. Again, not funny at all.

Third section was an artist being up her own arse - no surprise there, or much humour

I nearly quit TBH because it was neither thought provoking or funny, but the last section saved it. I won’t ruin it, but it was far more clever in concept, preparation, delivery, and in the scope of both numbers and importance of the people involved (assuming they were who the captions said they were)

Even if you are generally behind the people being ridiculed, you can’t be happy about some of the idiotic things they agree to in conversation, and agree to say/promote while doing a promo to camera. Again all this assumes they are who they are captioned to be, otherwise the joke’s on me!

Either perservere through the first three sections, or just skip to the last bit as that is definitely worth watching.

Last edited by AlexB : 07-16-2018 at 04:46 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #11273
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where's Cam? He's got some explaining to do.

You'll find him on twitter preaching the good word about how background checks don't work and awarding a "good guy" of the day. You can guess what the good guy is packing!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #11274
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
You'll find him on twitter preaching the good word about how background checks don't work and awarding a "good guy" of the day. You can guess what the good guy is packing!

At least we know who's paying his bills. What a true patriot!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #11275
RainMaker
General Manager

This should surprise no one.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #11276
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not shocking in the least that it was Rohrabacker.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #11277
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
First episode was just on over here: first half was not great:

First section was Bernie Sanders basically being professional and not calling him a twat. Wasn’t funny either.

Second section was an old Republican couple being grossed out by, well pretty gross/stupid conversation, but being polite and not throwing him out. Again, not funny at all.

Third section was an artist being up her own arse - no surprise there, or much humour

I nearly quit TBH because it was neither thought provoking or funny, but the last section saved it. I won’t ruin it, but it was far more clever in concept, preparation, delivery, and in the scope of both numbers and importance of the people involved (assuming they were who the captions said they were)

Even if you are generally behind the people being ridiculed, you can’t be happy about some of the idiotic things they agree to in conversation, and agree to say/promote while doing a promo to camera. Again all this assumes they are who they are captioned to be, otherwise the joke’s on me!

Either perservere through the first three sections, or just skip to the last bit as that is definitely worth watching.

Just finished watching it and, overall, I agree. The last segment is 100% must watch. It's seriously depressing to see people ok with what they were pitching. I'm guessing clips or quotes from this are going to end up in campaign ads soon.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #11278
Thomkal
Head Coach

what was the last segment?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #11279
digamma
Torchbearer

Kinderguardians
Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #11280
Radii
Head Coach

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-r...review-698440/

I'm a Sepinwall fanboy, but I think this take on the show, and our country, is really good.

Quote:
There’s a moment featuring Gun Owners of America director Larry Pratt where Erran jokes, “It’s not rape if it’s your wife.” Pratt cackles, shakes Erran’s hand, and says, “That probably won’t be in the video we send to the Hill.” At another time, this might be startling. Now it’s just one more sick punchline in an era when so many recent allegations of sexual assault are met with indifference at best, victim-blaming at worst. Pratt won’t feel any repercussions for that, any more than any of Cohen’s other targets will, because everyone has already chosen sides and the people on their side won’t care.

Quote:
In promos for upcoming episodes, a smiling Dick Cheney signs a “waterboard kit.” The former Vice President’s pro-torture stance isn’t exactly something a master con man has to bamboozle him into admitting; the man is on record about it. Cohen’s playing Gotcha! with people who have already confessed to far worse, over and over again.

I'm interested to see what current sitting congressmen did, sure. But, as a concept and a show? Meh.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #11281
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not either, but I'd say its pretty damning. Can't wait until they reveal who "US person 1 and 2" are.

US Person 1 appears to be GOP Consultant Paul Erickson:

Maria Butina, Russian gun-rights advocate who sought to build ties with NRA, charged with acting as a covert Russian agent - The Washington Post
Old 07-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #11282
Izulde
Head Coach

I think the moment when Trump said it's the US's fault that Russian-American relations are poor is the one that will ultimately bring him down.

First time I've been shocked by something he's said. Like, I literally gaped at the screen like a damn goldfish.

When even Joseph McCarthy is rolling over in his grave, anyone who supports him after this has crossed the Rubicon into idolatry with Trump as golden calf.

Sure enough, I've seen a few Tea Party Republican voters (not politicians AFAIK) declaring that they're now breaking with Trump.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #11283
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Sure enough, I've seen a few Tea Party Republican voters (not politicians AFAIK) declaring that they're now breaking with Trump.

They'll turn on Rush Limbaugh tomorrow who'll spin the issues in such a fashion that the liberal media is to blame and then they'll be happy angry Republicans again.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #11284
PilotMan
Head Coach

I do feel like this does move him into a new metric.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #11285
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
what was the last segment?

Larry Pratt, Trent Lott, Dana Rohrabacher, Joe Walsh, and Joe Walsh recorded a promo that supported teaching kindgergarten classroom students how to defend themselves with "pistols, rifles, semi-automatics, and a rudimentary knowledge of mortars".
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 AM   #11286
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I guess this could be a poll.

But is it really possible this is blackmail? I’ve always assumed Russia was doing what a foe would do and just struck gold when the guy they helped would rather deny than admit his win was not all him.

Last edited by AENeuman : 07-17-2018 at 01:07 AM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 AM   #11287
Groundhog
Coordinator

Reading through Twitter on my phone this morning I had to actually watch the Trump-Putin video to see if it was just a case of Trump being trump causing the usual "impeach him" outrage or if it was next level. But yeah...
Whole thing felt like the final big payoff for Putin - make Trump look like a weak buffoon on the world stage and shatter all remaining confidence in the US internationally in the most demeaning way possible. Must be some particular spicy pee videos Putin and co. have in their archives.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #11288
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I guess this could be a poll.

But is it really possible this is blackmail? I’ve always assumed Russia was doing what a foe would do and just struck gold when the guy they helped would rather deny than admit his win was not all him.

I've joked about it ever since the pee video rumours, but is there any doubt at this stage? Only question I think is what it is - either something personal on Trump, or the threat of personal financial ruin. Even the election rigging wouldn't be enough on its own to explain that performance IMO.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:46 AM   #11289
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
But is it really possible this is blackmail?

What If Trump Has Been a Russian Asset Since 1987?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 AM   #11290
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Wow. Trump just sold out the USA.

No wonder our government is pivoting towards a closer relationship with China.

Even this bumpkin from the Philippines can see it. What a twat.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #11291
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I've joked about it ever since the pee video rumours, but is there any doubt at this stage? Only question I think is what it is - either something personal on Trump, or the threat of personal financial ruin. Even the election rigging wouldn't be enough on its own to explain that performance IMO.

Corbes article above alluded to Russian financial support or embarrassing pictures.

His business(es) has had financial support from Russia interests for a while now. I also think the specter of his election being tarnished/illegitimate because of Russian interference weighs on him. So easily believe these key reasons of how he reacts to Russia.

The embarrassing pictures is probably the most dubious. If it was peeing, it would be damaging (is there a lot of evidence for this for is it from one source?) and he would probably claim it was doctored. If it was him having regular sex, I doubt he would care that much.

Regardless of the three factors, I still struggle with why he is doing this. If he was beholden to Russia, you would think he would find less visible and less combative ways of "complying" and not tarnish (more) his Presidency in the history books.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-17-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #11292
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Could be as simple as money laundering for the Russian mob.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #11293
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Regardless of the three factors, I still struggle with why he is doing this. If he was beholden to Russia, you would think he would find less visible and less combative ways of "complying" and not tarnish (more) his Presidency in the history books.

Because he's not that smart and is too stubborn to take advice from people who know better who could couch things like politicians always did.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #11294
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Could be as simple as money laundering for the Russian mob.

I read somewhere that Mueller probably has Trump's tax returns. Never done money laundering but I would think there would be evidence for that in his/company's tax returns.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #11295
digamma
Torchbearer

Maybe I'm naive, but isn't it the point of money laundering that it doesn't show up in your taxes?

***yes, I know you could have some holes in things or absurdly high interest amounts that don't match your income or whatever, but the point is, if you're money laundering, you're probably not going to report it on your taxes. What the taxes can show is who you're paying interest to, where your reported income is coming from, etc.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #11296
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think Trump was having his money cleaned. If, as his own sons have stated, he was selling a lot of condos in cash to Russians, those LLCs could be traced back to individuals and the sources of the money figured out.

But I'd bet there are problems for Trump extending well beyond that in his financial records.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #11297
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Right-wing media seemed a bit shocked yesterday, but already have recovered and moved on to covering and denouncing the "liberal overreaction" to yesterday's event while pushing articles declaring the summit to be a success. In case you were thinking that this might somehow be a turning point.

Apparently the only other option was for Trump to declare an all out war on Russia that would have already killed is after the nukes were fired, so it's hard to argue that Trump didn't do a great job.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #11298
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Right-wing media seemed a bit shocked yesterday, but already have recovered and moved on to covering and denouncing the "liberal overreaction" to yesterday's event while pushing articles declaring the summit to be a success. In case you were thinking that this might somehow be a turning point.

And GOP electeds are getting in on the act.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #11299
whomario
Pro Starter

NowThis on Twitter: "Trump's thoughts on Brexit is like a college student trying to pull off a presentation on a book they didn't read… "

If he didn't have such power, he'd be soooo amusing. I mean, why couldn't you have a system where there is one person with the power and then one is a figure-head, he'd be so perfectly amusing to watch in such a role with high visibility but limited power
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #11300
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
NowThis on Twitter: "Trump's thoughts on Brexit is like a college student trying to pull off a presentation on a book they didn't read… "

If he didn't have such power, he'd be soooo amusing. I mean, why couldn't you have a system where there is one person with the power and then one is a figure-head, he'd be so perfectly amusing to watch in such a role with high visibility but limited power

King Donald the First. He'd love that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote