Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #3901
booradley
High School Varsity

I ... this just doesn't make any sense! It's like doing donuts while chugging a beer at a police checkpoint - RIGHT AFTER you just had your license reinstated off a DUI.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #3902
molson
General Manager

Cormier is such an emotional guy and it sounds like he's all over the place with this. But I'm happy for him. He's one of my favorite fighters, I've always hated jones, and have never bought into or believed the redemption tour. Cormier is the true champion and Jones doesn't believe he can beat him clean.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #3903
PilotMan
Head Coach

The UFC is in a really bad place right now. I have to think that the sheer size, and desire to control all aspects of the sport is actually hurting them. Jones coming back was a boon to them, but this has to have an exponentially negative effect with him looking at a multi year ban now. Along with taking longer and longer in between title defenses, and letting Conor run his own show, and deciding to try and put GSP into a 185lb title shot right away, to last second headliner drops and cards falling apart, to choosing the wrong guys to push in marketing. Losing Rousey and Jones, and not being able to do the right thing with Miocic seems to have really derailed the entire marketing department. They want the bad guy image, when they should have pushed the good guys, like DC, and Miocic much harder.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #3904
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Cormier is such an emotional guy and it sounds like he's all over the place with this. But I'm happy for him. He's one of my favorite fighters, I've always hated jones, and have never bought into or believed the redemption tour. Cormier is the true champion and Jones doesn't believe he can beat him clean.

No love for Jones either, as he reeks of insincerity, but he didn't need to go dirty to beat Cormier, or anyone for that matter. DC had some good moments in the second fight, but Jones has always been a bad matchup for him. I just don't think Jones can help himself, some people think they can just game the system and he definitely is that type. Regardless, this should finish him and good riddance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The UFC is in a really bad place right now. I have to think that the sheer size, and desire to control all aspects of the sport is actually hurting them. Jones coming back was a boon to them, but this has to have an exponentially negative effect with him looking at a multi year ban now. Along with taking longer and longer in between title defenses, and letting Conor run his own show, and deciding to try and put GSP into a 185lb title shot right away, to last second headliner drops and cards falling apart, to choosing the wrong guys to push in marketing. Losing Rousey and Jones, and not being able to do the right thing with Miocic seems to have really derailed the entire marketing department. They want the bad guy image, when they should have pushed the good guys, like DC, and Miocic much harder.

Dana White has fallen in love with the WWE mentality, when at the end of the day, all most want to see is goof fights and not all the other extraneous bullshit. This is why, despite the fact that I love McGregor as an MMA fighter, I hope Mayweather absolutely dismantles him Saturday. Dana has gotten just what he asked for.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #3905
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Dana White has fallen in love with the WWE mentality, when at the end of the day, all most want to see is goof fights and not all the other extraneous bullshit. This is why, despite the fact that I love McGregor as an MMA fighter, I hope Mayweather absolutely dismantles him Saturday. Dana has gotten just what he asked for.

I think you mean the Scott "Evil Gnome" Coker mentality. I'd rather see Bjorn back to put some hard core tournaments together.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #3906
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dan isnt pulling the strings these days
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #3907
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Dan isnt pulling the strings these days

I wouldn't underestimate his influence, if for no other reason than his ego wouldn't allow him to be only a mouthpiece. But this started when he had plenty of control.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #3908
stevew
Hall Of Famer

WTF is Floyd wearing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #3909
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
WTF is Floyd wearing.

Beats the dude on the undercard that came out looking like Cookie Monster
Old 08-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #3910
Easy Mac

He looked like those things that clean the side of my car's in a car wash.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #3911
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Twitter is f'n gold tonight ... well, okay, it's really just a bronze & copper mixture spraypainted gold ... appropriate for this fight it would seem
Old 08-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #3912
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

McGregor did better than he should have, but he got tired and Mayweather caught him. Most active and entertaining fight Mayweather has been in in a loooong time IMO.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #3913
Easy Mac

Best McGregor could have hoped for. Never in doubt, landed a couple of OK punches, lasted maybe a round longer than he should.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #3914
tarcone
Coordinator

Bullshit end. No way that was the ned. That was a fixed ending.

Fuck Boxing. Fuck UFC.
Macgregor was still in it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #3915
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Glad they stopped it when they did.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:08 AM   #3916
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Fuck Boxing. Fuck UFC.

He was literally a combo away from dying most likely.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #3917
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well DUH.

Anybody that didn't know this was a con job -- from start to finish -- has to be a special kind of naive.

If you wanna pay $100 for it, go for it. I know pro wrestling is rigged and still find entertainment value so by all means have at it.

But it's flat earth territory to think this was remotely legit.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #3918
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

Fuck Boxing. Fuck UFC.

Just stop saying stupid things Tarc. Just stop.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 AM   #3919
heybrad
Norm!!!

So... what exactly does it mean to "fight like a Mexican"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:58 AM   #3920
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Mcgregor was done at the end, he didn't have anything left and could barely stand up. Hadn't thrown a punch in over a minute and his punches were soft as baby shit from about round 5 on. Mayweather let him wear himself out, then actually started punching, and he landed some good shots before it was called. The only thing that would have happened if that continued would have been McGregor taking unnecessary punishment and being KO'd.

I think McGregor earned a little respect, but I think Mayweather also let it go on a bit longer because he wanted to give fans a little more for their money this time after that Pacquiao debacle. He probably could have ended it in 5 or less if he wanted to really push the pace. By the end, he became the aggressor when it was clear McGregor was gassed.

The fight like a mexican quote essentially means Mayweather was the aggressor. Mexican boxers tend to be instigators when it comes to boxing, they like to push the pace.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 08-27-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:34 AM   #3921
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
So... what exactly does it mean to "fight like a Mexican"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made him come forward and push the action.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #3922
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Fuck Boxing. Fuck UFC.

Ah, no it wasn't. Two very different kinds of training and McGregor was gassed and getting rocked. boxing matches where one fighter is in that condition are frequently stopped and he wasn't going to last the round anyway.

Cutting that much weight, then putting it back on in one day does your cardio no favors and the difference in the fatigue level at the end was significant.

Mayweather basically gave rounds 1-3 away, but McGregor did much better than I thought, props to him for that. But this was never going to end any other way, just took 4 rounds longer than I thought.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:20 AM   #3923
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Ah, no it wasn't. Two very different kinds of training and McGregor was gassed and getting rocked. boxing matches where one fighter is in that condition are frequently stopped and he wasn't going to last the round anyway.

Cutting that much weight, then putting it back on in one day does your cardio no favors and the difference in the fatigue level at the end was significant.

Mayweather basically gave rounds 1-3 away, but McGregor did much better than I thought, props to him for that. But this was never going to end any other way, just took 4 rounds longer than I thought.

+1

Make no mistake if the ref doesn't stop it, McGregor gets carried out. He threw everything he knew but not half of what Money knew.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:30 AM   #3924
molson
General Manager

After watching that, I think it's clear that McGregor had a better chance of winning in a boxing match than Mayweather would in an MMA fight. Especially since the contrary argument kept insisting that McGregor couldn't land a single punch on Mayweather. That turned out to not be true even in a boxing match (McGregor landed over 100 punches - more than Pacquiao did) - let alone if kicks, elbows, takedowns, and other MMA strikes that wouldn't be legal in boxing were in play. I don't think Mayweather has the power to end an MMA fight (or boxing fight) early, which he'd have to do to beat McGregor.

Edit: It sucks if that's the end of McGregor. But early indications are that the PPV did very well, which would push McGregor closer to $100 million rather than the $30 million he was guaranteed. It'd be crazy for him to fight again with that kind of windfall, but McGregor always surprises, I guess.

Last edited by molson : 08-27-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #3925
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Fuck Boxing. Fuck UFC.

I can understand not liking Mayweather, but to the point of delusion? By the time the fight was stopped McGregor was bouncing around on rubber legs looking like all it would take is a reasonably strong gust of wind to knock him into concussion.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #3926
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, I re-watched the end today. And with a little different perspective (Sober).

It was over. But I still like knockouts better than TKOs.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #3927
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I re-watched the end today. And with a little different perspective (Sober).

It was over. But I still like knockouts better than TKOs.

LOL, you should have dug up the drunk posting thread.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #3928
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Nate Diaz says Conor doesn't learn, yet conveniently leaves out the part where Conor took a different approach in their second fight and beat him. A world without the "intellect" of the Diaz brothers would be a much better place.

Nate Diaz takes to Instagram to ridicule Conor McGregor, saying he doesn't learn from his mistakes
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #3929
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Nate Diaz says Conor doesn't learn, yet conveniently leaves out the part where Conor took a different approach in their second fight and beat him. A world without the "intellect" of the Diaz brothers would be a much better place.

Nate Diaz takes to Instagram to ridicule Conor McGregor, saying he doesn't learn from his mistakes

Except he has a point. McGregor did better than I thought he would, but I knew in the 5th round he was on fumes. He didn't do a good job of pacing himself at all.

That said I think he has improved enough as a striker to handle Diaz much easier in a rematch, as long as he stayed of the ground.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #3930
PilotMan
Head Coach

Diaz just wants that coin. It's the new future of mma.

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #3931
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Conor McGregor's coach eyes Nate Diaz for next fight, probably in 2018
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #3932
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Pro Wrestling sells guys

Last edited by BYU 14 : 09-07-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #3933
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Jim Cornette has called UFC the best pro wrestling promotion in the US for years, and I don't think there's any doubt now.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #3934
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Another UFC event where the judges didn't watch the fight as Shevchenko clearly won rounds 2-4 and probably 5 as well, but Nunes keeps her belt.

And now Daniel Cormier is again light heavyweight champ.

UFC strips Jon Jones of title, reinstates Daniel Cormier as light heavyweight champion
Old 10-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #3935
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Go out of your way to see the undercard fight between Vannata and Green and the main card fight between Dariush and Dunham from UFC 216.

Kudos to Walt Harris for taking the Werdum fight on 3 hours notice.

Two title fights to go.

Mighty Mouse with arguably the most spectacular submission finish ever.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 10-07-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #3936
PilotMan
Head Coach

Shame Mighty Mouse can't get the recognition that he deserves.

I said back before he won Ultimate Fighter that Ferguson was destined to hold gold at 155. Nice to see that he finally got the chance.

Like Steam?

Old 10-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #3937
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Mighty Mouse with arguably the most spectacular submission finish ever.

If you haven't seen this, it's truly an omg moment.

Like Steam?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #3938
PilotMan
Head Coach

Now that was a big surprise! Great performance, huge upset....

Rose taking out Johanna

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-04-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #3939
PilotMan
Head Coach

Still hate how they brought GSP back at the detriment of the division. Happy it ended the way it did.

Like Steam?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #3940
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Can't think of the last time 3 title fights ended in such legitimately interesting and satisfying ways.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #3941
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

You all need to go to Miesha Tate's instagram account and watch one of the videos currently in her "stories" section. It's Dana White ice skating outdoors. He looks exactly how you think he would and it's hilarious.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #3942
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Just got to watch my DVR the card this weekend and wow, that Poirier-Pettis main event was off the charts good. Just a bloody spectacle.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #3943
rafini
High School JV

Quote:
Just got to watch my DVR the card this weekend and wow, that Poirier-Pettis main event was off the charts good. Just a bloody spectacle.

I got to go to the event, that fight and the Matt Brown KO made it worth the price of admission. Although the loudest pop of the night was for Clay Guida, the crowd was just going crazy for him. There were a couple of dud fights but overall it was a pretty good card. Hopefully they keep coming back to this area.
rafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #3944
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafini View Post
I got to go to the event, that fight and the Matt Brown KO made it worth the price of admission. Although the loudest pop of the night was for Clay Guida, the crowd was just going crazy for him. There were a couple of dud fights but overall it was a pretty good card. Hopefully they keep coming back to this area.

You know it's a good night when a Guida fight is a finish instead of 15 minutes of lay and pray.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #3945
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Thanks for the heads up, I enjoyed that card.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #3946
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Bisping is fighting Gastelum on the 25th. He's replacing Anderson Silva after a PED violation. I don't even understand how he's in there so soon after getting choked unconscious just 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-18-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #3947
molson
General Manager

Bisping actually got a shorter medical suspension than GSP after the last fight. (30 days v. 45). They count damage to to the head more than getting choked out.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #3948
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to read that the UFC is now in China.

I think everyone acknowledges that a pure stand-up or grappler won't win alot of higher caliber events and Chinese martials arts will need to evolve. I'm sure old legacy MA pride will hurt but this will lift up martial arts in China.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #3949
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If you haven't seen it yet, Bisping vs Gastelum. Nobody gets knocked out like Bisping gets knocked out.

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Kelv...t_122/10200438
Old 11-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #3950
Edward64
Head Coach

This one is pretty bad. Hope he is okay, nothing yet from googling.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/27/mma-kn...er-is-spooked/
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote