Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #16251
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to know.

I generally go to Daily Mail for "entertainment" news. Pretty sure the Chelsea thing happened though.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #16252
cuervo72
Head Coach

True, it did happen. But pay attention to the wording and tone of that article, as opposed to the WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ep-ilhan-omar/

Oh yeah, and this:

Quote:
Donald Trump Jr., for one, came to Clinton’s defense.

Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress, who has worked closely with the Clintons for decades, retweeted the post by Trump’s son, accusing him of trying to sow discord among Democrats.

The right wants to exploit disputes in the Center-Left. I know people are upset by the video but I urge all to move on,” Tanden tweeted. “People were murdered by white nationalist hate,” she wrote. “Spend your time fighting that instead of each other.”

Can't think of any better reasons for highlighting such an exchange.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #16253
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Good to know.

I generally go to Daily Mail for "entertainment" news. Pretty sure the Chelsea thing happened though.

It is an horrendous publication, completely biased and hostile racially & politically, and completely hypocritical on body image. I don’t understand how anyone can buy the print copy or read it over here.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #16254
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
It is an horrendous publication, completely biased and hostile racially & politically, and completely hypocritical on body image. I don’t
understand how anyone can buy the print copy or read it over here.

To be honest, I don't see the "hostile racially". I see plenty of stupid articles about stupid white people, plenty pro-royal (e.g. doesn't she look pretty). To me, its more of a gossipy rag than political/racial.

To be clear, I do read the BBC also but Daily Mail is for fun and whenever it shows up in my google news feed.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #16255
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
True, it did happen. But pay attention to the wording and tone of that article, as opposed to the WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ep-ilhan-omar/

Oh yeah, and this:

Can't think of any better reasons for highlighting such an exchange.

No more free reads for this month but can easily believe it. Like I said in a prior post, I don't read it for serious news but it does add the fun/gossipy factor and complements BBC, CNN, FoxNews, GoogleNews, Reuters etc.

(If I remember correctly, its also one of those rags that one can pick up for easy entertainment in the tube)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #16256
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Interesting. With the electoral college I'm not sure it'd matter if one party dominated states kept the opposing nominee off the ballot, but I think I'm against states putting conditions on federal elections. Washington Senate passes bill that would keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns | TheHill
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #16257
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Interesting. With the electoral college I'm not sure it'd matter if one party dominated states kept the opposing nominee off the ballot, but I think I'm against states putting conditions on federal elections. Washington Senate passes bill that would keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns | TheHill

Fun thing is, while that's a Constitutional prerogative of the states, the Constitution also gives Congress the ability to override the states.

Buuuuut...super unlikely this Congress would agree to override any state in the current environment.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #16258
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

But couldn't Trump take this thing to court? Couldn't an argument be made that Washington is trying to super cede the Constitution by setting their own presidential requirements?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #16259
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
But couldn't Trump take this thing to court? Couldn't an argument be made that Washington is trying to super cede the Constitution by setting their own presidential requirements?

He could, but they aren't, directly, setting "their own Presidential requirements."

Washington state isn't setting limits on eligibility to hold the office or run for the office, but rather eligibility to appear on the ballot, which probably comes down to the Elections clause - the "Times, Places, and Manner" of determining elections.

His lawyers would probably argue against that by saying that the elections clause is about legislative elections, not the executive; I feel like that would be a stronger argument than "they're trying to impose extra-Constitutional requirements on eligibility for the Presidency."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #16260
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes this will 100% go into the court system, and I very much doubt it will be in effect for the 2020 election - my guess is the lower courts will put it on hold while waiting for higher courts to decide if it's illegal. I doubt it would make it's way to the supreme Court until next summer, and that's getting too late to have uncertainty for the 2020 election process. It also certainly would be sued by right-leaning groups, but I could also see the ACLU or other watchdog groups bringing the suit.

The tax return aspect is kind of interesting. Obviously it's become the norm in the last 40+ years and I'd prefer to see them, but it wasn't done before then and there's nothing requiring it in the Constitution.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #16261
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think there's no doubt that the ballot qualification issue will end up in court. And, if we've learned nothing else from our SCOTUS, it's that once the question turns to elections and who gets to win them, we can cast aside any prior convictions about states' rights and federalism and due process, or any such scholarly trifles... when you decide matters of who wins elections, it's pure red and blue, baby. They may have to work for it, but Trump should be fine getting onto every ballot.

I happen to think that's the right outcome -- I don't think you want to enable individual states to start creating substantive, rather than procedural, impediments to being on the ballot. Iowa is just nutty enough to pass a law saying you have to take the "ethanol forever" blood oath to qualify... or whatever, as an easy-to-process example. If you make it open season for states to do whatever they like in this regard, I think you have a mess on your hands. So, my non-lawyerly view is this absurd outcome isn't what anyone would have wanted when determining/insisting that the states retain the means to conduct the elections themselves.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #16262
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So it was indeed (just proven in court papers) “last in his class” (Annapolis) John McCain that sent the Fake Dossier to the FBI and Media hoping to have it printed BEFORE the Election. He & the Dems, working together, failed (as usual). Even the Fake News refused this garbage!

100% sound mind
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #16263
bhlloy
Coordinator

Again, we're in bizarro genie out of the bottle land, but can you imagine seeing "POTUS tweets out bizarre conspiracy theory that slanders recently deceased beloved war hero that had served his own party honorably for 40 years" and think - yup, sounds about right, just another day.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #16264
PilotMan
Head Coach

One man's conspiracy is another man's Bible.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #16265
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The Trump tweet (the army supports me, so...) and the White House tweet (the WaPo are liars) are both totally mortifying things to come from our government. And will flow right under the bridge like everything else.

The thing about this is I don't think the media is correct in how they were portraying it. I don't think Trump was actually calling for violence from any of the groups he mentioned. I believe it was wishful thinking to an extent. The man wants the adoration of people/groups so much he's hoping that's what happens whenever his time in office ends. It would be confirmation for him that his base truly loves him.

Just as frightening, but still a key difference.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-17-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #16266
RainMaker
General Manager

Well he retweeted a pizzagate nut, a Qanon loyalist, and a white supremacist yesterday. That was in between complaining about a re-run of SNL and the cable news lineup on his favorite network.

Things seem to be going well.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #16267
JPhillips
General Manager

Did you hear about the RNC deputy finance chair?

No, not the one accused of rape.

No, not the one who pleaded guilty to fraud.

The one that is accused of laundering cash.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #16268
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I personally thing it is a dumb requirement. But I think it is dumb when states put limitations on who can run and what is required.

The Washington AG did put out an opinion on the constitutionality of it. He seems to think it would pass the test. But says it could be close.

Constitutionality Of Possible Legislation Requiring That Candidates For President And Vice President Of The United States Disclose Their Federal Tax Returns As A Condition Of Appearing On The Ballot | Washington State
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #16269
PilotMan
Head Coach

It is dumb, but you know what else is dumb? Not doing stupid shit that other candidates started doing voluntarily to prove that they were on the up and up and that they were good for the job. Simply thumbing your nose at the system and saying, I'm not doing it because I don't have to and you can't make me actually IS total bullshit.

Like Steam?

Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #16270
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Simply thumbing your nose at the system and saying, I'm not doing it because I don't have to and you can't make me actually IS total bullshit.

...right up until you actually win. Then it's genius.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 PM   #16271
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
...right up until you actually win. Then it's genius.

Very stable genius.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #16272
PilotMan
Head Coach

Our esteemed ruler in KY, Bevin, has followed the trump playbook all along in an effort to get noticed by trumpy. I think he's a little irritated that he hasn't gotten called for a cabinet position yet.

Like Steam?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #16273
Thomkal
Head Coach

I had not heard of him really before he announced he was running. I saw he got the signatures needed to participate in the debates, so that's a good start. I think things are going to start getting nasty for him if he gets some momentum in the debates. The evangelical Republicans will throw every dirty trick in the book at him to keep a gay man from becoming President. It will be interesting to see how he responds to it.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #16274
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am thinking the collective GOP sense of humor (or lack thereof) won't be able to get past the fact that he has BUTT in his name, and I dread the horrible memes.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #16275
QuikSand
lolzcat

Eric Williams on Twitter: "… "

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-20-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #16276
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

"We have no idea who Donald Trump's successor will be. But we have already found the man most opposite him."

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #16277
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I just went to PredictIt for the first time in a while to see how the 2020 Dems ranked. And I noticed that I still had an investment in that market.

I clicked on it, and remembered that I bought Tim Kaine for .11 and still have a pending order to sell when it hits .50.

So, in short, I am bad at predicting the future.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #16278
JPhillips
General Manager

KY Gov says he deliberately exposed his children to chicken pox rather than vaccinating them.

Quote:
In a move experts say is medically unsound — and can be dangerous — Gov. Matt Bevin said in a radio interview Tuesday that he deliberately exposed all nine of his children to chickenpox so they would catch the disease and become immune.

“Every single one of my kids had the chickenpox," Bevin said in an interview with WKCT, a Bowling Green talk radio station. "They got the chickenpox on purpose because we found a neighbor that had it and I went and made sure every one of my kids was exposed to it, and they got it. They had it as children. They were miserable for a few days, and they all turned out fine.”
Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #16279
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My parents did they do me.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #16280
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My parents did they do me.

It was common before a vaccine became readily available in the 90s.

Even doctors recommended it, because getting chicken pox as an adult is very dangerous. And actually getting chicken pox was the only way to immunize yourself from it until 1995.

I don't know how old Bevin's kids are, but he's only 52.

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2019 at 02:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #16281
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Mine didn't do it, but I've heard of more than a few folks who have. I don't think that's particularly unusual, even for folks who are pro-vaccine.

Side note: I was exposed to chicken pox from my 4ish-year-old nephew when I was a high school sophomore, and a dozen or so kids at my high school ended up getting it from the cascade of me having it. It was awful. A junior wound up in the hospital from it. Scary stuff. Those of us who were infected but still up for it had to take the AP US History exam in a quarantine room away from the rest of the class.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #16282
bob
College Starter

Yep - people had chicken pox parties in some places.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #16283
JPhillips
General Manager

Bevin also went on to say the vaccination should be optional. It's pretty clear he thinks this is sound advice right now.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #16284
Izulde
Head Coach

I had chicken pox on my birthday as a little kid. Apparently I bemoaned my fate in the bath, wailing, "Why does this always happen to me?"

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #16285
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also had it as a teen, did not enjoy.

Not looking forward to an eventual prospect of shingles, either.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #16286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ben Simmons gave the Egg Boy a shout out on his sneakers yesterday. Lol
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #16287
PilotMan
Head Coach

There was no Chicken Pox vaccine when I was a kid. You got it, and that was that. My kids have been vaccinated, and you know what? They didn't get Chicken Pox and didn't have to deal with the misery it entails. Bevin is a tool.

Like Steam?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #16288
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post

Pat Robertson 'antichrist' response in 3...2....1...

Like Steam?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #16289
Groundhog
Coordinator

I somehow got chickenpox 3 times when I was younger. I didn't even know there was a chickenpox vaccine though. I assume it's one of the standard vax shots my daughter has had to get according to the government-defined vax schedule we have here.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 AM   #16290
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Having chickenpox 3 times sounds like some story an evil TV family would invent to cover for whatever weird shit they were actually doing to you.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-21-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #16291
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I barely remember it, which means my parents gave it to me about the age of 6 or else I acquired it otherwhise at that time. That's over a decade before the vaccine, so no blame, nobody. I don't think it was that traumatic though. We had enough scares/child deaths in our family - oldest was aborted(and I didn't find out till I was in my 20s, one of the very few things that ever pissed me off about my fine parents), I almost died less than six months in due to asthma turning me orange - I literally tried to Make West Michigan Orange Again - and my younger brother had spinal meningitis at the age of 3 and was fortunate to live through that. Cost him most of his hearing, but it's one of those things we've gotten a lot better at. In the late 80s, getting that when you were young was hit or miss in terms of whether you are done for this life.

Basically looking back on it all now, I'm glad I didn't realize how much trauma my parents were going through, having been too young to remember most of it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-21-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 AM   #16292
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Having chickenpox 3 times sounds like some story an evil TV family would invent to cover for whatever weird shit they were actually doing to you.

First time was worst, I think I was 2ish and mum tells the story often. Second time it was more mild but still bad, I think I was 7 or 8. 3rd time was ultra mild and I was in my early 20s - I didn't get this one checked out, but it hit our office where I was working at the time and my close friend got it. I had a few small little spots.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #16293
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Also had it as a teen, did not enjoy.

Not looking forward to an eventual prospect of shingles, either.

I have had shingles. I don't recommend it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 AM   #16294
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I somehow got chickenpox 3 times when I was younger. I didn't even know there was a chickenpox vaccine though. I assume it's one of the standard vax shots my daughter has had to get according to the government-defined vax schedule we have here.

Makes my two times look silly.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #16295
Izulde
Head Coach

Trump: Time to recognise Golan Heights as Israeli territory - BBC News

That's not a potential step towards WW3 or anything.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #16296
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Trump: Time to recognise Golan Heights as Israeli territory - BBC News

That's not a potential step towards WW3 or anything.
Are China or Russia going to go to nuclear war with us over that? Are Iran or Saudi Arabia or the average Arab/Muslim in the Middle east going to hate us more?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #16297
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #16298
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If Jared Kushner had been born middle class, he’d be your ex-roommate who got fired from Chipotle that one time for spilling refried beans on the manager. Instead he was born rich, so he’s dictating MidEast policy via WhatsApp.

So how many people who say they “reluctantly” voted for Trump because they were concerned about Clinton’s email server will change their vote in 2020 based on what we are learning about how Trump’s people handle secure info? I’m guessing zero.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #16299
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Now Wisconsin's State Assembly Leader Robin Vos is talking about taking away some of the governor's powers in a lame duck session before Tony Evers takes over for Scott Walker.

What a bunch of slimy fucking losers.

Wisconsin Judge Rules Against Republicans And Restores Gov. Evers' Powers : NPR
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #16300
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So how many people who say they “reluctantly” voted for Trump because they were concerned about Clinton’s email server will change their vote in 2020 based on what we are learning about how Trump’s people handle secure info? I’m guessing zero.

90% of those folks will continue to chant 'LOCK HER UP!' without any clue of the context.