Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #22151
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Not only that, but the service and airline sectors just to name a couple were already in big trouble just from the virus without any shutdown happening. Those might never go back to where they were, but they sure don't have a chance of doing it before there's a vaccine.

That's why I think a depression is a foregone conclusion. Globally. The only question is how do we get through it in the minimum time with minimal pain and recover as quick as possible. Anything better than that is IMO a pipe dream.

If the virus disappeared completely today, I think we'd (aviation) be back to 100% within a couple weeks. The longer it goes, of course, the harder that becomes.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #22152
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
He sees this as the way out from blame, right? He announces everything is fine, and after that if you’re pissed off about being at home or about losing your job, it’s Cuomo’s fault. I don’t think he cares about people falling seriously ill or dying, unless it’s clearly a problem for his re-election.

Yeah, this is it. He will want to open it back up, and he'll get screamed at, and then blame whoever that is as saying they are anti-trump and anti-america and they just want the country to be ruined before the election.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #22153
JPhillips
General Manager

I know I'm pessimistic, but I think the lockdowns are failures now. Enough people will see things as do Trump and Fox and go out. We don't really want to arrest anyone and at some point, we just won't be able to.

We're going to let the original UK plan of herd immunity play out here and it's going to result in a lot of needless suffering and death.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #22154
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We're going to let the original UK plan of herd immunity play out here and it's going to result in a lot of needless suffering and death.

I fear you are right. I hope you are wrong.

And it isn't like Trump's doing this alone. A small contingent of GOP politicians could stop him in his tracks because he has no idea how to actual lead.

Maybe warm weather will kill this thing . . .
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #22155
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
One for the Elon Musk haters:

Generally shitty people can also do good things, and its good to acknowledge it when they do, this is excellent!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #22156
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
He has no idea and is just saying shit to make himself look better to his base. A month ago he said 15 cases would go to 0.
This. Stop analyzing this clown.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #22157
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Trump knows why Easter is special for 'many people' based on this briefing.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #22158
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If Trump wants the markets to recover he should just send Fauci out to do the briefings. That would help confidence.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #22159
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
If Trump wants the markets to recover he should just send Fauci out to do the briefings. That would help confidence.
I doubt it. Fauci would be too honest about where we are.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #22160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I doubt it. Fauci would be too honest about where we are.

The market folk would rather have honesty and competence than the nuttiness of Trump. The markets drop when Trump says something obviously false on this.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #22161
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The market folk would rather have honesty and competence than the nuttiness of Trump. The markets drop when Trump says something obviously false on this.
Did something else happen this afternoon, 'cause it sure looks like it was right around the time he dropped that Easter BS that the Dow really took off.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #22162
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the news of the big bailout being close helped.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #22163
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Did something else happen this afternoon, 'cause it sure looks like it was right around the time he dropped that Easter BS that the Dow really took off.

It dropped about 350 when he started talking. Then went up later.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-24-2020 at 05:12 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #22164
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It dropped about 350 when he started talking. Then went up later.
The Easter comment was near the end. (I think after he took quite a few question.)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #22165
Ben E Lou

(Just checked....based on Tweets, it looks like he said it somewhere around 1:30-1:45.)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #22166
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I never thought I'd reach a time where 35% of the country would think our president never made a mistake and 35% of the country couldn't give him credit for doing anything right. That's just wild to me - 70% of the country is just incapable of having any kind of an open mind on our sitting president (half for exactly the opposite reason). To be honest, I'm probably part of the 35% that can't give him credit. I'd like to think I could if he did something well, but I'm not sure. So I'm just as guilty.

Last edited by Arles : 03-24-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #22167
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I never thought I'd reach a time where 35% of the country would think our president never made a mistake and 35% of the country couldn't give him credit for doing anything right. That's just wild to me - 70% of the country is just incapable of having any kind of an open mind on our sitting president (half for exactly the opposite reason). To be honest, I'm probably part of the 35% that can't give him credit. I'd like to think I could if he did something well, but I'm not sure. So I'm just as guilty.

I look at myself as part of the 30%. The problem is to the 70%. If I defend him, I am scum to 35% liberals. If I attack something he does, the 35% "conservatives" light me up. The hell of it is, that 35% is not conservative.

Just because he does something does not mean it is automatically bad, just like everything he does is not automatically good.

I do have fewer issues with any federal stimulus money now than I did in 2008 because this is not because of economic wrong doing by part of the economy. This falls into act of God territory and am willing to see some money to stimulate the economy and keep things moving. The problem though is I don't trust government, or corporations for that matter, to properly use the money.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #22168
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I think your response was much more measured in the other thread - but that's a bit like winning the tallest midget contest with Turmp

It's clear all Trump cares about is the economy, consumer confidence and his legacy. If you take everything he does with that backdrop - it makes a lot more sense. Still, he needs to atleast put up a facade of caring about people sometimes.

I think the core is always revealed and it was again recently when he learned that Romney might have it. He couldn't resist the urge of implying that he was glad. He just couldn't because people aren't people to him but resources and marks.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #22169
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
If the virus disappeared completely today, I think we'd (aviation) be back to 100% within a couple weeks. The longer it goes, of course, the harder that becomes.

I find that fascinating because I'd be very surprised if it didn't take a lot longer than that in the restaurant business. I'll be mildly surprised if it ever gets back to 100% in fact (though I could definitely see 90% or so happening).
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #22170
JPhillips
General Manager

It's a shame the bailout and the Easter opening were both on the same day. Now Trump will internalize that the market went up solely because of his announcement and it will put much more pressure on him to do it.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #22171
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I find that fascinating because I'd be very surprised if it didn't take a lot longer than that in the restaurant business. I'll be mildly surprised if it ever gets back to 100% in fact (though I could definitely see 90% or so happening).

If there was a cure or it went away, personally I would resume my eating out cadence no problem. Right now I really don't want to eat sushi or a 5 guys burger.

But I do agree with you, it won't get back to near 100% until unemployment goes back to pre-coronavirus and people feel more confident in their current jobs. I suspect many of us think we could get laid off or furloughed.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:49 PM   #22172
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I think he's the worst or second worst President of all-time (James Buchanan). I think he's stupid, corrupt, racist, and pathologically narcissistic. But I'm a public defender, and I give him credit for the First Step Act. It was a very defendant-friendly criminal justice reform, and the people who helped make the sausage say that the White House (and Jared in particular) really helped push it through.

When the man does stuff worth crediting, he should get credit.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #22173
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think he's the worst or second worst President of all-time (James Buchanan). I think he's stupid, corrupt, racist, and pathologically narcissistic. But I'm a public defender, and I give him credit for the First Step Act. It was a very defendant-friendly criminal justice reform, and the people who helped make the sausage say that the White House (and Jared in particular) really helped push it through.

When the man does stuff worth crediting, he should get credit.

I will also put him above George W mainly because he hasn't pissed away trillions of dollars on a war in Iraq yet.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #22174
tarcone
Coordinator

Jimmy Carter? That guy was terrible. Way over his head.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #22175
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Jimmy Carter? That guy was terrible. Way over his head.

at least he sold his peanut farms...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #22176
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think Carter was a far better president than he's given credit for. A better one than we deserved for certain.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:06 AM   #22177
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently there's a deal in place now. It'll be interesting to see if it gets rammed straight through over the next couple of days, or if there are any hangups.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:32 AM   #22178
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All it takes is one person to vote no in person and it can’t pass via unanimous consent.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:24 AM   #22179
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
All it takes is one person to vote no in person and it can’t pass via unanimous consent.

Yeah, but with any luck Rand Paul won't be back, so seems like it'll be fine
Old 03-25-2020, 05:27 AM   #22180
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The other option is a voice vote once a quorum is established.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #22181
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

For the amount of the stimulus they could've given every adult $9,500.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #22182
JPhillips
General Manager

New CBS poll says 90% of Republicans trust Trump for coronavirus information.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #22183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
New CBS poll says 90% of Republicans trust Trump for coronavirus information.

That seems really high. I wonder if the question was worded in a way to skew the answers. Anecdotally most Trump supporters I know, while not willing to criticize him, certainly aren't looking to him as an authority.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #22184
JPhillips
General Manager

FFS

Quote:
According to Der Spiegel, the G7 foreign ministers haven't been able to agree on a joint statement because of Pompeo's insistence it refer to #coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus". Pompeo did not deny that this morning - said G7 don't agree on everything
Old 03-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #22185
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wonder how long it will be before it is the G6.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #22186
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Graham and crew are now threatening to hold up the bill because "it incentivizes people to get laid off"

edit: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...fting-n1168766

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-25-2020 at 03:08 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #22187
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Graham and crew are now threatening to hold up the bill because "it incentivizes people to get laid off"

edit: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...fting-n1168766

He's not wrong.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #22188
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
He's not wrong.

How so? Employee doesn't really have a choice in whether they are laid off or not. You don't get unemployment for quitting.

Graham is a fucking ghoul.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #22189
RainMaker
General Manager

This is what I get for doing it the old fashioned way.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #22190
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How so? Employee doesn't really have a choice in whether they are laid off or not. You don't get unemployment for quitting.

Graham is a fucking ghoul.

How is it ghoulish?

You think people should make more by not working?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #22191
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
How is it ghoulish?

It's for 4 months and an insignificant amount of money in certain states. Most of the people are not going to be able to find work in 4 months either so the little extra might be a nice cushion.

Just such a minor thing to be upset about when you're giving half a trillion to companies who already got a fucking handout a couple years ago.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #22192
JPhillips
General Manager

The GOP: fighting to make sure free money is only for rich folks.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #22193
RainMaker
General Manager

I should add that unemployed people will have to now pay for health insurance. Unemployment doesn't take that compensation into account. So if anything this helps people with their COBRA payments for a few months. It's good to have insurance during a pandemic.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #22194
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Guh. Sanders has a point, Graham et al. have a point, and they all need to shut up and vote for it. Neither one of their points is anywhere near important enough to delay this further.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #22195
kingfc22
Head Coach

November can't get here soon enough.

These briefings are such a joke. He literally turns every question into some random response on why he is the second coming of Jesus and we should all be so grateful for his wisdom.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #22196
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/bern...ulus-bill.html

I'm not sure what Bernie is going for here. Is he threatening to delay the bill if the Republicans delay the bill?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #22197
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
How is it ghoulish?

How many are going to make more from this? My wife, for example, was sent home until dental clinics are allowed to reopen. She's eligible for unemployment during that time, but you could $600 per week on top of what she's projected to get and she'd still be well under what she'd normally make. Screwing over the majority to prevent the extreme minority from benefiting is the stupid logic we use to lose money drug testing people on welfare.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-25-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #22198
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/bern...ulus-bill.html

I'm not sure what Bernie is going for here. Is he threatening to delay the bill if the Republicans delay the bill?

Yes. I think he's calling Graham's bluff essentially. Holding up the bill for a matter of hours or days is going to hurt the market much more than individual unemployed Americans, but Graham is trying to pretend he's the one operating from the position of power.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #22199
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere

No, I think he's just saying leave the UI as it is, I'll hold the bill up if you change it.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #22200
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
How many are going to make more from this? My wife, for example, was sent home until dental clinics are allowed to reopen. She's eligible for unemployment during that time, but you could $600 per week on top of what she's projected to get and she'd still be well under what she'd normally make. Screwing over the majority to prevent the extreme minority from benefiting is the stupid logic we use to lose money drug testing people on welfare.

Yeah, the only folks who are going to even consider staying on unemployment, in the middle of a pandemic, in order to get another 14-weeks of $600 are folks making less than $15 an hour, and frankly I'm cool with the individual poor of American getting over on the corporations for once in recorded history.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote