Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #27151
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
What's amazing to me is that the man in charge, who can quite literally get to the bottom of anything with investigations and powerful allies,

This gives me a chance to talk about one of the things I find the most perplexing about how he operates.

Can you imagine having access to the CIA, FBI, NSA, and the intelligence arms of every branch of the military? And being able to talk to them whenever you want? And you still get most of your information about the world from cable TV?

It's like having the ten greatest chefs in the world on call 24/7 with fully tripped out kitchens eager to cook you whatever you want. And you just eat day-old leftover Taco Bell for every meal.

Leaving aside whether that is good or bad for the President to do, I just don't get how anyone could waste that opportunity--just for the "holy shit, this is awesome information" aspect of it.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-22-2020 at 03:04 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #27152
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Leaving aside whether that is good or bad for the President to do, I just don't get how anyone could waste that opportunity--just for the "holy shit, this is awesome information" aspect of it.

This doesn’t register when you are a grade A narcissist
Old 08-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #27153
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I can't imagine how much worse Trump is going to get over the next 70 or so days. FYI the head of the FDA is someone nominated by Trump.
The deep state, or whoever, over at the FDA is making it very difficult for drug companies to get people in order to test the vaccines and therapeutics. Obviously, they are hoping to delay the answer until after November 3rd. Must focus on speed, and saving lives! @SteveFDA
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 22, 2020

Of course, the FDA director was hand picked by Trump LESS THAN A YEAR AGO.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #27154
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
None of this would be happening if Trump was President.

+1
Old 08-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #27155
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was curious why Mike Hunt was trending on Twitter, then I saw this:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #27156
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I can't imagine how much worse Trump is going to get over the next 70 or so days. FYI the head of the FDA is someone nominated by Trump.

I am waiting for when we start hearing about postal workers being accosted and assaulted.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #27157
Ksyrup

Umm... The Maryanne Trump Barry tapes. Wow. Ha!

LISTEN: Maryanne Trump Barry Slams Donald In Recorded Audio | Heavy.com
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-22-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #27158
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I always thought that Trump’s other relatives (not his kids) thought that about him.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #27159
JPhillips
General Manager

It must be a terrible eistence for Trump. At some level he has to realize that everyone hates him. The only people that don't, are people that he hates.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:10 PM   #27160
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It must be a terrible eistence for Trump. At some level he has to realize that everyone hates him. The only people that don't, are people that he hates.

I don't think he's capable of that sort of introspection.

SI

Old 08-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #27161
kingfc22
Head Coach

And zero mention or reference of or to the audio on Fox News’ entire site.

Probably waiting for Putin’s bot farm to figure out a reply.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 08-22-2020 at 10:14 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #27162
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't think he's capable of that sort of introspection.

SI

He's tried for decades to make the important people like him. He's hinted that he thought it would change when he became President.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #27163
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is the 'Select Fighter' screen you see when you turn on your Xbox in hell.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-22-2020 at 11:29 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:13 AM   #27164
Atocep
Coordinator

Half of the key speakers are Trump family. The GOP is a hell of a party right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:40 AM   #27165
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Shit I forgot you still do the monarch stuff too. Either way, you had 10 deaths yesterday, we had 1100.
Monarchy... It's hardly political on content, it's practically just cosmetic. And practical too: the prime minister does the decision making and the conference calls with other world leaders, while the king cuts ribbons and does the PR things.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #27166
cuervo72
Head Coach

Stopped at a Flying J (or Pilot, can’t keep them apart) about an hour north of Blacksburg yesterday. Signs everywhere say masks required. Masks not worn by the fat bald guy, the young black woman, the guy with the cig behind his ear and face tats and looked like he hadn’t showered in days. The 70IQ cashier at the adjoined Wendy’s had a mask — worn on his chin. Fryer cook at least had his under his nose.

I am just consistently amazed by just how flat-out ass stupid people are that they just do not know how masks are supposed to work.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 08-23-2020 at 07:21 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #27167
Ksyrup

I have some sympathy for the workers. I can't wear my mask for more than 30 minutes without it bugging the crap out of me. I can't imagine 8 hours straight. The customers can go to hell
Old 08-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #27168
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, fine - go to the back and pull it down for a bit. Or vent it. Don’t ask someone for their order with a mask chinstrap.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #27169
spleen1015
Coordinator

While traveling for softball this summer, we wouldn't order from some place where they weren't wearing masks. Not worth it to mention it to them. We just took out business else where.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #27170
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Here in NJ you really never see people without them. We of course have the idiots who wear them under the nose, but I just give them a wide birth.

They are doing a good job of enforcement. I went to Costco the other day and was on the phone while running in from the rain and totally forgot my mask. Guy at the door was right on me about it.

I am also going to the Apple store tomorrow, when they were reviewing the safety protocols they specifically said wear a mask and it has to be over your nose. Pathetic they even have to say that.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #27171
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
While traveling for softball this summer, we wouldn't order from some place where they weren't wearing masks. Not worth it to mention it to them. We just took out business else where.

Yeah, wife and kid noped out of there. We will see if I perish for want of a chicken sandwich.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #27172
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #27173
PilotMan
Head Coach

Have you EVER met a Christian who wouldn't tell you their top 5 favorite Bible verses? And all the backstories that go with each of them?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #27174
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Half of the key speakers are Trump family. The GOP is a hell of a party right now.

And no McConnell either after he originally said he wasn't going to appear, but then changed his mind.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #27175
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just a dumb thought but what is our signature that a mail in ballot would be compared to? Driver’s license sig? I’m assuming voter ID card? I sign my name a handful of times a year. I just wonder how technical they’re going to get with matching signatures. Figure all kinds of handwriting experts will show up out of the woodwork to try to disqualify ballots.

Last edited by stevew : 08-23-2020 at 09:23 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #27176
kingfc22
Head Coach

These guys are so off the rails.

Navarro pushing hydroxy again by referencing the single opinion of an orthopedic surgeon.

Bunker boy railing against ballot drop off boxes and once again showing is ignorance asking if these will be placed in R or D areas. Everyone has the right to vote you dipshit.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 08-23-2020 at 09:24 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #27177
Thomkal
Head Coach

You know it'd be a nice thing for evangelicals to actually see the President go to church not just appear outside of one for a photo op, and maybe not go play golf on a Sunday, just once? Has he tweeted at all about the potential back to back tropical storms/hurricanes about to hit the gulf coast?
Old 08-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #27178
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Just a dumb thought but what is our signature that a mail in ballot would be compared to? Driver’s license sig? I’m assuming voter ID card? I sign my name a handful of times a year. I just wonder how technical they’re going to get with matching signatures. Figure all kinds of handwriting experts will show up out of the woodwork to try to disqualify ballots.

I believe you provide a signature when you register. My signature is definitely erratic as hell but it hasn't been an issue with my ballot being accepted.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #27179
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What is your favorite Bible verse? pic.twitter.com/f1LyLNyxbk
— Paul �� (@pablo_honey1) August 23, 2020

Equally "funny" (read: sad). Who answers "are you a New Testament or Old Testament guy" with a blank stare followed by "equal" and then segues into trying to compare it to his 30 year old con book?

SI

Old 08-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #27180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
You know it'd be a nice thing for evangelicals to actually see the President go to church not just appear outside of one for a photo op, and maybe not go play golf on a Sunday, just once? Has he tweeted at all about the potential back to back tropical storms/hurricanes about to hit the gulf coast?

That requires them actually judging him by the same standards they judge everyone else

SI

Old 08-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #27181
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

you are mistaking him for someone who gives a fuck

honestly, the whole point of the BIG con - telling everyone they can't trust what they see and hear and read - is so he doesn't have to actually do any of the proper, civil, and human things that we ordinarily expect of our leaders... and it's worked with an alarming share of the populous, sadly
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #27182
QuikSand
lolzcat

Seems fine

Honestly, this isn't about covid... it's about the near absolute power of the psychological need to defend your already-made choices. Once you have been tagged as a Trumpist, then you feel compelled to align everything from that point on to connect to it.

It can't be that you were wrong, and your guy is awful. It has to be... a conspiracy... the fake news media... liberal doctors... or just the flu. Whatever it takes, whatever the subject. As long as it doesn't require me to go back and say "wow, I blew it, I thought he'd be okay but he's terrible." Not that under any circumstances.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #27183
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Those numbers are so believable, yet totally unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #27184
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The state of Michigan has taken political silly season to a new level of stupid. This one requires a bit of explanation.

For those who don't live here, our longstanding tourism campaign is known as Pure Michigan since 2008. This then spawned a series of semi-popular parody videos in the same vein with the same music but a health dose of sarcasm. For example here: Pure Michigan: Winter Virgins - YouTube

So all of that is to set up the lawn signs that have been going up. If you're a Republican as most in my area are, you're supporting the second attempt of John James to get elected to the US Senate, various commissioners, and so on. But there's also a fair chance your lawn sports this beauty:

Now negative campaigning happens all the time. But this is a unique situation in my recollection, because this is a campaign against an official who isn't even on the ballot. You can't vote for her opponent or try to unseat Gov. Whitmer. She was just elected in 2018 and doesn't face the voters again until 2022. And there's no serious recall effort underway either, nobody's trying to drum up support for that - they were trying but that imploded at the beginning of the month. No, this is blowing off steam pointlessly, since you can hate on the governor all you want but you literally can't do anything about it when you vote.

I know a lot of politics is shouting at the rain anyway, but this really takes the cake for me.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #27185
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
I have some sympathy for the workers. I can't wear my mask for more than 30 minutes without it bugging the crap out of me. I can't imagine 8 hours straight. The customers can go to hell

At a certain level you just get used to it like anything else. I wear mine for hours at a time and most of that period I forget I'm even wearing it.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #27186
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the last 4 years of constant "Trump:No more Bullshit" flags has been annoying
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #27187
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Honestly, this isn't about covid... it's about the near absolute power of the psychological need to defend your already-made choices. Once you have been tagged as a Trumpist, then you feel compelled to align everything from that point on to connect to it.

What do you think it means that Independents are just as close to Rs as Ds here? I also think it's worth noting that Republicans are far more split. That would seem to contradict this narrative. There's a lot of what you describe going on, but those numbers also show a sizable minority of Republicans that are concerned about it.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #27188
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
In what ways are any of those countries in danger of moving to authoritarianism?

Some of them already have. For example economic freedom in Denmark is considerably reduced. To the point on what KSyrup said, conspiracy-theory beliefs are similar in Canada and the USA. Decline of the family is dramatic across all those countries any many more over the past decades. Etc. All of these things and others point in the direction of less freedom and more government power.

You can make an argument that some, many, all, whatever of these changes are positive, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still happening.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #27189
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Now negative campaigning happens all the time. But this is a unique situation in my recollection, because this is a campaign against an official who isn't even on the ballot. You can't vote for her opponent or try to unseat Gov. Whitmer. She was just elected in 2018 and doesn't face the voters again until 2022. And there's no serious recall effort underway either, nobody's trying to drum up support for that - they were trying but that imploded at the beginning of the month. No, this is blowing off steam pointlessly, since you can hate on the governor all you want but you literally can't do anything about it when you vote.

I know a lot of politics is shouting at the rain anyway, but this really takes the cake for me.

This is not an uncommon GOP tactic. I remember living in Alabama and being bombarded with commercials saying the Democratic candidate will vote for Pelosi for Speaker of the House and advance her agenda, therefore a vote for D is a vote for Pelosi.

Personally I think it's quite clever (assuming Whitmer isn't polling well, I'm too lazy to check. I just know my conservative parents don't like her). And I don't think it's untrue that more Democrats in Lansing will help Whitmer advance her agenda.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-23-2020 at 04:11 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #27190
JPhillips
General Manager

There was a time when the Secretary of State giving a convention speech in from Israel would have been seen as outrageous. Now, not a single GOPer will bat an eye.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #27191
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Personally I think it's quite clever (assuming Whitmer isn't polling well, I'm too lazy to check. I just know my conservative parents don't like her). And I don't think it's untrue that more Democrats in Lansing will help Whitmer advance her agenda.

Also, Whitmer is a Democrat. And they think that any Democrat in a position of power is not legitimate.

It isn't about whether she is on the ballot or not.

As long as anyone holding elected office anywhere in the country at any level of government is not a MAGA-Republican, these people will be angry and upset.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #27192
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've never seen the tactic before in Michigan. As to polling, latest (end of July) that I can find gives Whitmer 67% approval in handling the pandemic. In general the feuding she's done with Trump has benefited her. So really it looks me like minority frustration, which is understandable but not exactly smart.

Either way Republicans are getting their clocks cleaned in Michigan this time around, like they did in '18.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #27193
JPhillips
General Manager

The GOP has fully transitioned to be a Trump cult. Instead of a platofrm they have this:

Quote:
RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:03 PM   #27194
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The GOP has fully transitioned to be a Trump cult. Instead of a platofrm they have this:

From what I was reading, it appears they are officially voting to continue the 2016 platform for 2020 (not like a platform matters much to Trump anyways)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-23-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #27195
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
From what I was reading, it appears they are officially voting to continue the 2016 platform for 2020 (not like a platform matters much to Trump anyways)

SI

From that platform

Quote:
The President has been regulating to death a free market economy that he does not like and does not understand. He defies the laws of the United States by refusing to enforce those with which he does not agree. And he appoints judges who legislate from the bench rather than apply the law.

We, as Republicans and Americans, cannot allow this to continue. That is why the many sections of this platform affirm our trust in the people, our faith in their judgment, and our determination to help them take back their country

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/medi...1468872234.pdf (at page ii)

So if they really are just adopting it, they are right about a few things, at least.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #27196
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Either way Republicans are getting their clocks cleaned in Michigan this time around, like they did in '18.

From what I understand, a lot of Michigan folks who voted for Trump thought he'd do something about trade and manufacturing. But then he did nothing and in some respects made things worse (due to retaliatory tariffs), so they are a bit peeved.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #27197
JPhillips
General Manager

The GOP took so much shit for the 2016 platform that they decided not to pass a adopt a platform and just go with whatever Trump says.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #27198
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

N/m wrong thread

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-23-2020 at 08:14 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #27199
JPhillips
General Manager

Just as there's always a Trump tweet, there's almost always an Eisenhower quote:

Quote:
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #27200
Thomkal
Head Coach

Apparently one of KellyAnne and George Conway's kids has been tweeting bad stuff about one or both of them today. (Not seen the tweets). As a result KellyAnne is leaving her position as Counselor to Trump at the end of the month and George is stepping away from Twitter and his Project Lincoln responsibilites.

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-23-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote