Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #701
miami_fan
Coordinator

WTF was the point of all of this? Why was this weighing so heavy on his chest that it required this sort of explosion?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #702
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
WTF was the point of all of this? Why was this weighing so heavy on his chest that it required this sort of explosion?

from that SI article (emphasis mine)

Quote:
a group of three female reporters, including one wearing a purple domestic-violence awareness bracelet

I'd bet a nickel that there's history with that unidentified reporter.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #703
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

He's complained about her tweeting domestic violence hotlines when Osuna was pitching.

So his issue appears to be with domestic violence advocacy. And he wanted the Osuna discount for being damaged goods, but got mad if anyone brought up why he was damaged goods. She brought it up anyway, so she was a target (and he was probably even more riled up by the fact that two other women dared to be in the vicinity).

Last edited by molson : 10-24-2019 at 06:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #704
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
from that SI article (emphasis mine)

Well I had a similar reaction to molson when I read the story. Why is this guy celebrating domestic violence?

It was not just what Brandon Taubman said. It's why is Taubman lashing out while Osuna stayed quiet. It's the Astros' initial statement, one calling the reporter a liar despite the incident happening in the winning locker room after one of the most dramatic endings to a LCS thus having several other witnesses. It's Taubman apologizing for the thing the Astros said did not happen. It's the Astros putting out a statement that they were firing him today because all of a sudden "His conduct does not reflect the values of our organization...". Values that must have come into existence after the first two statements came out but before the formal investigation. Finally, it's not having a plan to deal with the continued backlash for trading Osuna in the first place. Hell, they could have asked the Yankees who had Aroldis Chapman pitching in the same game.

Nothing Taubman or the Astros did or said in this situation made any sense whatsoever.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #705
tarcone
Coordinator

It was unprofessional. That alone was stupid. He should not have said anything. Had any of us celebrated a co-worker who was fired or suspended for an outrageous action to a client, we would have been reprimanded at the least.But this being a public corporation, he was fired.

Duh.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #706
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He's complained about her tweeting domestic violence hotlines when Osuna was pitching.

Ah, there we go then. (I literally had no idea what the history was but as soon as I saw that reference in the article I kinda figured that was going to be part of it)

Old 10-24-2019, 09:32 PM   #707
JPhillips
General Manager

Now we need the full story on how the Astros released a message that the incident never happened and the reporter was lying.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #708
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Now we need the full story on how the Astros released a message that the incident never happened and the reporter was lying.

Probably originated from the guy that was fired. He spoke for the organization on how to comment to the story??? Since hes gone I bet nothing else comes out.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #709
bob
College Starter

Thoughts after game 5? Will the Astros wrap this up or will the road team continue to win?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #710
spleen1015
Coordinator

Its going to game 7 because Verlander can't win the in the WS.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #711
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Thoughts after game 5? Will the Astros wrap this up or will the road team continue to win?

Washington is resembling the 96 Braves.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #712
miami_fan
Coordinator

Beanball war between the Nationals and the Astros next year, no?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #713
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I can’t believe they just made that call in game 6 of the World Series.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #714
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is why baseball is dying. It’s 10:50 on the east coast and these dopes are on their headsets to NY in the middle of a 15 minute delay on a call that should have never been made.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:58 PM   #715
kingfc22
Head Coach

Rendon bailed out MLB on that one.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #716
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

What exactly was the point of replay there? It was blatantly obvious to everyone the umps messed up. Did they all have to stand there like fools to see how bad they messed up without any intention of changing it? Also, why did the runner on 1st not at least get 2nd base? I mean it was a given that he was going to make 2nd base?

The umpire should have just given Dave Martinez one shot to punch him in the face after that complete disaster of a call.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-29-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #717
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That was a very bad call.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:17 AM   #718
spleen1015
Coordinator

It was 100% the right call.

If the rule is bad, fine. Remove it. As long as it is a rule, you have to call it.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #719
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
It was 100% the right call.

If the rule is bad, fine. Remove it. As long as it is a rule, you have to call it.

I believe its a judgement call in which common sense was overlooked in this case. Turner ran a straight line to first and was in no way trying to disrupt the throw or the catch. I believe the rule is there for them blatant attempts as disrupting either the throw or the catch. Perhaps its time for the softball extra base in foul territory if they cant get this part of the game right.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-30-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #720
spleen1015
Coordinator

He was running on the inside of the line where he shouldn't based on a rule.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #721
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He was running on the inside of the line where he shouldn't based on a rule.

It's an oddity of the rule book. Generally there's an understanding that the runner gets the back half of the 1st base bag and the fielder gets the front half. If you play to the rule as it's written the runner doesn't have a direct path to 1st. Turner does push the limits a bit here but I'll guarantee several players took that exact same or similar path down the line last night and no call was made and no warning given.

I've seen what was called last night exactly one time and that was in a 18u game this summer my son was playing in. You typically see more bitching by first base coaches about the 1st baseman's foot creeping onto the back half of the bag which prevents the runner from having a direct path and can cause injury.

The rule does need cleaned up and maybe this incident leads to that. However, I can't see that getting called by most umps. Turner did nothing to intentionally interfere with the throw and the reason this became a problem was the throw was offline which took the fielder's glove into the runner. Typically, in that situation it's a play on.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #722
tarcone
Coordinator

Time to add the safety base like in they have in HS softball. That call would have been much easier and less controversial.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #723
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Watched that first base play for the first time this afternoon.

Live? I thought he might have been out of the baseline.
Replay? He's clearly inside and the call is the correct as made.

I can't understand how this is remotely controversial, it's pretty damned black & white. The runner fucked up.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #724
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I can't understand how this is remotely controversial, it's pretty damned black & white. The runner fucked up.

Or you could say a shitty throw was bailed out by a stupid rule?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #725
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

By the letter of the rule he's out. So is just about every player trying to beat out an infield single or bunt. If MLB wants it called then call it consistently and everyone can see just how ridiculous the rule actually is.

If you run in the defined baseline to 1st then you have move back into fair territory for your last step in order to hit the bag. It gives the runner no right of way to any part of the bag though. Just the defined running lane on the way to the bag.

What I described above is the way that rule is called at all levels over 99% of the time. Because it works for both the runner and the fielder. It's why catchers will clear a lane to throw on a dropped 3rd and the 1st baseman make adjustments to throws with the runner in mind.

Last edited by Atocep : 10-30-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #726
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
By the letter of the rule he's out. So is just about every player trying to beat out an infield single or bunt. If MLB wants it called then call it consistently and everyone can see just how ridiculous the rule actually is.

There's nothing ridiculous about the rule, it's a pretty basic tenant of the game -- "don't run outside the basepath". It's taught at a pretty early fucking age.

Just because asshats think the rules don't apply to them doesn't make it a bad rule. That's on the asshats who break a pretty simple rule. If it bites them in the ass, that's karma doing its thing occasionally.

There is nobody to blame here but the batter/runner.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:32 PM   #727
kingfc22
Head Coach

Holy shit.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:54 PM   #728
tarcone
Coordinator

This is a great game

Old 10-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #729
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Felt like Greinke deserved better from that start. Really don't think he should have been pulled there.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:21 PM   #730
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Felt like Greinke deserved better from that start. Really don't think he should have been pulled there.

Agree!

I bet Hinch is wishing #1 he didnt make the change and #2 wishing he had brought in Cole instead of Harris

Such a strange game sometimes. Best home team in baseball cant win 1 out of 4 at home when it matters most. And Strasberg made himself around 100 million extra dollars by how he pitched lately.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-30-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #731
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations to the Washington Nationals!!! Love seeing a team win their first World Series!!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:38 AM   #732
miami_fan
Coordinator

I love seeing these types of videos from championship celebrations. Double digit vets finally winning one.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:17 AM   #733
tarcone
Coordinator

Poor Bryce Harper.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:46 AM   #734
Thomkal
Head Coach

Congrats to the Nats fans on here!
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #735
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Poor Bryce Harper.

He predicted it.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #736
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Poor Bryce Harper.

He's anything but poor
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #737
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

New York Mets hire former player Carlos Beltran as manager

The Mets really are the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #738
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought this sort of stuff made baseball charming?

Ex-Astros pitcher Mike Fiers - Team stole signs with camera
Old 11-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #739
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I thought this sort of stuff made baseball charming?

You don't get to high-tech it.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:33 PM   #740
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Can't stand the Kapler hire for the Giants. I'm a big Zaidi guy, but I just don't see it with Kapler. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:48 AM   #741
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Angels hired Tony LaRussa to be an assistant baseball ops consultant or some such.

I honestly wasn't certain he was still alive.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-13-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #742
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Astros cheating won't die. For every team they've beaten in the playoffs, even going back to the Cardinals scandal, it's going to be a bitter pill to swallow and a blight on the team. For Astros fans, it'll be, ho hum, maybe they did, but our players are still really good, and they all did really good and we won and we'll keep winning, because we're fans.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #743
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, I wasn't prepared for the Patriot-esque heel turn for the Astros. I like a lot of players on their team, but this isn't a good look.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #744
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If this is legit, it's not good:
Old 11-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #745
Arles
Grey Dog Software

From Twitter, the postseason splits for the 2017 Astros:

Altuve -
Home: .472 BA/.513 OBP/1.028 SLG/1.541 OPS, 17 H, 6 HR & 12 RBI
Away: .143 BA/.268 OBP/.229 SLG/.497 OPS, 5 H, 1 HR & 2 RBI

Correa -
Home: .371 BA/.421 OBP/.743 SLG/1.164 OPS, 13 H, 3 HR & 10 RBI
Away: .211 BA/.231 OBP/.395 SLG/.626 OPS, 8 H, 2 HR & 4 RBI

Bregman -
Home: .273 BA/.342 OBP/.515 SLG/.857 OPS, 9 H, 2 HR & 6 RBI
Away: .154 BA/.175 OBP/.333 SLG/.508 OPS, 6 H, 2 HR & 4 RBI

McCann -
Home: .300 BA/.382 OBP/.467 SLG/.849 OPS, 9 H, 1 HR & 7 RBI
Away: .037 BA/.161 OBP/.037 SLG/.198 OPS, 1 H, 0 HR & 0 RBI

Gattis -
Home: .300 BA/.464 OBP/.550 SLG/1.014 OPS, 6 H, 1 HR & 3 RBI
Away: .200 BA/.333 OBP/.200 SLG/.533 OPS, 2 H, 0 HR & 0 RBI

This is looking more and more like their CF cameras at home games gave them a massive advantage.

Last edited by Arles : 11-13-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #746
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, I wasn't prepared for the Patriot-esque heel turn for the Astros. I like a lot of players on their team, but this isn't a good look.

Seriously. It's like it all crashed down after Taubman yelling at the female reporters. Karma came quick for the 'Stros.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #747
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ken Rosenthal could have just taken an article he wrote about the steroids and swapped out sign stealing and such. The defenses of “Everyone was doing it” and “We only did it because everyone was doing it to us” sound very familiar.

The Electronic Sign Stealing Era.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #748
Warhammer
Pro Starter

That video is pretty damning.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #749
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Braves sign closer Will Smith to three-year deal in first substantial move of MLB free agency - CBSSports.com

3 yrs / $39m, with a 4th year option.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #750
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
That video is pretty damning.

Yeah, pretty easy to buy it all when you tie it with the video. Damn.