Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #351
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yeah.

If I only had friends...LOL

None of my friends really play games on PC unfortunately. At least they like board games.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #352
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I picked up SpaceChem yesterday for $2.50, ended up playing for about 4 straight hours. Fun little game.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #353
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I picked up SpaceChem yesterday for $2.50, ended up playing for about 4 straight hours. Fun little game.

I love SpaceChem, easily my favorite puzzle game. The open ended puzzles with no one solution lead to a great feeling when you come up with a way to solve a difficult puzzle. Especially since I start most of them by staring at the screen for 5 minutes feeling like an idiot.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #354
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I picked the Manderly's of White Harbour and ALSO married Margaery to my son, while I picked up one of the Sand Snakes. Early on especially it's hard to ignore all the 'name' character in the game.

I did enjoy seeing Tyrion as head of the Lannister's quite early in my game too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think it needs a lot more events. Once everything becomes a single kingdom there isn't much to do. I liked playing in the world, but I didn't have much to do other than marry children off every few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I only played for about twenty years. There were a couple of small splits, but the combined might of the Iron Throne easily put them down. I felt like I had nothing to do other than watch the dates tick by. For me the vanilla CK2 was far more interesting.

Yeah, this was my impression as well.

Not enough events or intrigues.

I played a vanilla game of CK2 as a Croatian Duke and there was a ton more stuff going on.

There were a few rebellions and wars in my GoT game, but they were also crushed very quickly and with overwhelming force.

I also wasn't sure why Margery Tyrell would be willing to marry a son of Yohn Royce (or a Manderley for that matter). I also had Tywin Lannister ask to marry one of my daughters and married another daughter to the heir to the Iron Throne. I think she died before her husband claimed it.

I totally love the setting. Just not enough going on and some odd unions.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #355
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah, this was my impression as well.

Not enough events or intrigues.

I played a vanilla game of CK2 as a Croatian Duke and there was a ton more stuff going on.

There were a few rebellions and wars in my GoT game, but they were also crushed very quickly and with overwhelming force.

I also wasn't sure why Margery Tyrell would be willing to marry a son of Yohn Royce (or a Manderley for that matter). I also had Tywin Lannister ask to marry one of my daughters and married another daughter to the heir to the Iron Throne. I think she died before her husband claimed it.

I totally love the setting. Just not enough going on and some odd unions.

Odd unions is a Paradox AI thing.

We're working to add more stuff going on, without it being monotonous, but I'll push your impressions up the chain and keep agitating for more things. There's a team working on a War of the 5 Kings starting date, my impression is that that may have more some more stuff going on (which will then be incorporated down into the other starting dates obviously).

I also find the "little rebellions" kind of silly, but they do serve the function of raising/lowering the opinion of liege's by vassals, which ultimately results in bigger conflicts.

We've got tournaments in obviously (tbh sometimes I find them a bit repetitive). Any other thoughts on what sort of events you'd like to see?

I find that RP-ing my leader based on his personality can be helpful in terms of causing things to go on, and causing friction with vassals or lieges. So can giving myself goals outside of the ambition system like "I want to make the Dayne's the Princes of Dorne" and working towards a long-term goal like that.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-13-2012 at 03:48 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #356
britrock88
Pro Starter

In Indie Bundle II, Botanicula and Splice have intrigued me before the sale, and Universe Sandbox seems to have some potential. Any first-hand experience with any of the games?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #357
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
In Indie Bundle II, Botanicula and Splice have intrigued me before the sale, and Universe Sandbox seems to have some potential. Any first-hand experience with any of the games?

Have played with Universe Sandbox. It's a lot of fun if you like to create scenarios. Makes you feel pretty small seeing those worlds/universes explode.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #358
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

Botanicula review and demo

Quote:
There’s no question over whether you should play this. Your $10 will buy you a few hours of utter joy, and flipping heck, why wouldn’t you want that? It’s infectiously lovely, smartly inventive, and plastered happiness all over my face. And even my game-ignoring wife’s face, whom it was a pleasure to watch play. That’s a high compliment.

Splice has a demo on Steam that I played, it was an interesting puzzle game but nothing that really excited me that much.

Universe Sandbox isn't a game but just a sandbox solar system simulator that let's you make changes like adding objects or modifying location, mass, velocity and whatnot and see what would happen. You can load different solar systems or create your own from scratch if you want to do that sort of thing. Probably interesting for people who really love astronomy and astrophysics. If you're not you'll probably think it's kind of cool while you play around with it for 10 to 15 minutes before you exit out never to load it up again.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #359
frnk55
High School Varsity

Nice! Max Payne 50% off. Going to pick up The Binding of Isaac also. Maybe Payday the heist too. Going to be a couch potato this weekend as temps will be around 100.

Hey guys is Rage worth 17.99? I've always been tempted.

Last edited by frnk55 : 07-13-2012 at 06:18 PM.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #360
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post

No. It's absolutely awful. You're better off playing Doom 3.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #361
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yesterday I got Sword of Islam and some of the other DLC for Crusader Kings II.

Today I am tempted by From Dust and Anno 2070, but might wind up getting neither or waiting for the last day of the sale since I have plenty of games to keep myself occupied for now.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #362
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
No. It's absolutely awful. You're better off playing Doom 3.
That's a good thing since I have Doom 3 but never did play it much. Thx.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #363
Qrusher14242
High School JV

I just picked up:

Crusader Kings II + Sword of Islam
Binding of Isaac DLC Wrath of Lamb
Hard Reset Extened Edition
Portal 2

Can't wait to play the GOT mod of CKII, Heard Hard Reset was good and for $3 hard to pass up. Not much else in the sale i want...these flash deals seem cool though

Max Payne 1 & 2 for $3.74...may pick that up today
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #364
PilotMan
Head Coach

I know it's time to upgrade my laptop when I really can't shop games anymore because time has passed it by. That, and I have scolded myself repeatedly for owning more than I can play. That, and I'm broke.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #365
Mota
College Benchwarmer

My main goals are:
Anno 2070 (was hoping for more than 50% discount so am sitting out until a later sale)
Witcher 2 (hoping that will be a focus SKU sometime)

So far I have bought:
Warlock
Terrania
Legend of Grimrock
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #366
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
My main goals are:
Anno 2070 (was hoping for more than 50% discount so am sitting out until a later sale)

I don't know but I doubt you'll get a better deal. Once a game shows up as a daily deal, I thought they rarely went below that one deal price...

FM
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #367
mckerney
Coordinator

Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare for $10, was hoping for a deal like that.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #368
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I like Rage, but it wasn't really anything special as far as first person shooters go. It'd also been available cheaper than that before, so if you're willing to wait for either later in this sale or for another deal to pop up after the summer sale you could probably find it for a bit less.

A couple good deals on shooters that activate on Steam are The Darkness 2 for $12.49 and Spec Ops: The Line for $24.99.

Spec Ops: The Line is a modern military shooter which when I first heard about it kind of wrote off as just another man shooter. As far as gameplay is concerned it's a third person shooter with poor cover mechanics, but the story is exceptional and makes it one of the best games to come out this year. If it's something you want to play anytime soon you probably won't find a better price than $24.99 being it came out three weeks ago.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #369
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

wooooo, FM2012 for $7.49 in the flash sale section. Yeah, you probably all have it already but I don't. Now I will

FM
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #370
cody8200
High School Varsity

From Dust looked interesting enough. I picked it up for under 4 bucks.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #371
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare for $10, was hoping for a deal like that.

I've been wanting to try this out. My first Summer Sale goes to Alan Wake

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #372
mckerney
Coordinator

Another Amazon deal that activates on Steam, Sniper Elite V2 for $14.99.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #373
mckerney
Coordinator

Two copies of Frozen Synapse Complete for $3.49 is a steal.

Save 90% on Frozen Synapse: Complete Pack on Steam
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #374
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Odd unions is a Paradox AI thing.

We're working to add more stuff going on, without it being monotonous, but I'll push your impressions up the chain and keep agitating for more things. There's a team working on a War of the 5 Kings starting date, my impression is that that may have more some more stuff going on (which will then be incorporated down into the other starting dates obviously).

I also find the "little rebellions" kind of silly, but they do serve the function of raising/lowering the opinion of liege's by vassals, which ultimately results in bigger conflicts.

We've got tournaments in obviously (tbh sometimes I find them a bit repetitive). Any other thoughts on what sort of events you'd like to see?

I find that RP-ing my leader based on his personality can be helpful in terms of causing things to go on, and causing friction with vassals or lieges. So can giving myself goals outside of the ambition system like "I want to make the Dayne's the Princes of Dorne" and working towards a long-term goal like that.

I like the tourneys. As for other events, I would have to think about that.

Also, I noticed that the inheritence law for the Royce's (and many others I presume) was gavelkind, where, I am pretty sure, for most noble families in Westeros (save Dorne) it's straight up primogeniture.

For example, Yohn Royce has three sons. Andar, the eldest is set to inherit Runestone. Robar, the second eldest, joins up with Renly to make a name for himself and Waymar, the youngest, joins the Night's Watch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #375
mckerney
Coordinator

Skyrim is finally on sale too for $29.79, and I've professed my love for Orcs Must Die! here several times in the past.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #376
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Dead Island down, Amalur to go.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #377
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Did you get the DLC for Dead Island or just the base game? I'm in the same boat -looking for Amalur to get on sale too.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #378
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I got DLC. Though I didn't really put much thought into it.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #379
WVUFAN
College Starter

Has anyone bought X-Com Apocalypse from Steam? I did, and cannot seem to get it to work correctly.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #380
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, it needs DosBox which I already had installed and configured on my system. I don't remember if it reinstalled it or if used the installation already there, although that would be weird if it didn't.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #381
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another Amazon deal that activates on Steam, Sniper Elite V2 for $14.99.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game on the x360.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #382
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I see alot of interest in Amalur. Not to thread-jack here but it goes on sale at Best Buy tomorrow for $10 if you subscribe to their gamer magazine. Or the magazine is supposed to be $5 in store. The coupon is in the magazine.

Back on topic. I'm in for one copy of Dead Island.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #384
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, it needs DosBox which I already had installed and configured on my system. I don't remember if it reinstalled it or if used the installation already there, although that would be weird if it didn't.

I think it should launch with a DOSBox wrapper if you load it through Steam, though I'm not at home to check at the moment.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #385
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Two copies of Frozen Synapse Complete for $3.49 is a steal.

Save 90% on Frozen Synapse: Complete Pack on Steam

Looks like it was a pricing error and it's $6.99 now, but still a great deal.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #386
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

did anyone want to go in for a four pack on dead island?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #387
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Can't go in on a bundle but would be up for some FOFC multiplayer.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #388
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Id probably be down if two other people jumped on
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #389
frnk55
High School Varsity

I think Steam is getting hammered. I'm getting terrible download speeds. Brings back memories of dial up. Bah..
Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #390
WVUFAN
College Starter

I have Crusader Kings II for trade on Steam if someone wants it

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #391
PilotMan
Head Coach

Has anyone posted a video I can comment on?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #392
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I like the tourneys. As for other events, I would have to think about that.

Also, I noticed that the inheritence law for the Royce's (and many others I presume) was gavelkind, where, I am pretty sure, for most noble families in Westeros (save Dorne) it's straight up primogeniture.

For example, Yohn Royce has three sons. Andar, the eldest is set to inherit Runestone. Robar, the second eldest, joins up with Renly to make a name for himself and Waymar, the youngest, joins the Night's Watch.

Yeah - that should all have been changed back to primogeniture, I think as of the 2.0 release. Not sure why it was changed to gavelkind...that's weird.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #393
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Steam is getting hammered. I'm getting terrible download speeds. Brings back memories of dial up. Bah..

Try changing your download region under Settings => Downloads + Cloud and then restarting Steam.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #394
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

BTW I believe FM is on sale at the moment on Steam (40% off?) - I believe it was 75% off for a short period at one point today, no idea if it'll be repeated ... sorry for the late notice, I only found out unofficially after the event.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #395
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
BTW I believe FM is on sale at the moment on Steam (40% off?) - I believe it was 75% off for a short period at one point today, no idea if it'll be repeated ... sorry for the late notice, I only found out unofficially after the event.

Yeah, Marc, see this from yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
wooooo, FM2012 for $7.49 in the flash sale section. Yeah, you probably all have it already but I don't. Now I will

FM

it was 75% off at the time. No clue if the flash sales will repeat over the sale but I'm back with a copy of FM on my computer. Or I will when I get my new laptop this week

FM
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #396
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well, biggest spending in a while on games...
I'd had my eyes on Skyrim so got that at 50%.
I'd also never played The Witcher and for $2.49, it's hard to pass up. I'll probably send a copy to my son too.
My son wanted to get Left4Dead2 and I was also interested so I'm getting a four pack of that one for $14.99. He said his best friend is sure to want to play that with him online, we'll see what we do with the fourth copy.
Finally, Tropico has always intrigued me so Tropico 4 for $7.49 seemed like a good deal.

Sigh, but yay still

FM
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #397
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Bought Heroes of Might and Magic 6 based on the nostalgia of playing 1+2 a long time back. Very happy to see 4 versions later it seems to have held true to form. Fun game.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #398
Radii
Head Coach

Anyone here ever played Fray? $20 Indy game that came out in June on sale for $9. Its listed as "Action Strategy" but not quite sure WTF it is.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #399
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well, add Civ 5 (no DLC) for $7.49 to that list of mine.

FM
Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #400
Qrusher14242
High School JV

got the Left 4 Dead bundle, Star Wars Knights of the old Republic and Toy Soldiers.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote