Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #51
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To me, that's a bigger issue than the forum.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #52
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
SkyDog owns the board. Blackadar used to own the board and when he left he gave it to SkyDog.

This has nothing to do with $$$.

To completely clarify this:

Yes, Blackie handed over ownership to me. It is 100% "my board." At its core, this is a fansite for Front Office Football that the original owner (Blackadar) didn't want any more, but didn't want to be abandoned, so he gave it over to someone else (me).

As far as financial interests...

1. I own and pay for the frontofficefootballcentral.com domain name.

2. Hosting is provided for free by GameSpy. We have a large hit count that helps their ad revenue significantly, I am told.

3. I own the license for the vbulletin forum software. When we first bought the software, I think for $160, I paid $40, and asked for 12 voluntary donations of $10 each. That way, I would pay for 25% of the original license out of my own pocket. (I think those numbers are correct, but if not, they're close). Those who donated were made aware before they gave that their donations bought them no interest, no part ownership, no special considerations, or anything like that about the board. I don't remember everyone who donated, and I know for a fact that at least one person who donated hasn't visited the board in a couple of years or so. For all I know I may have even suspended a contributor at one time or another.

4. A year or so ago, I paid 100% of the fee to have the vbulletin license extended so we could continue to upgrade it. That fee was around $30-$40.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-27-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #53
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Given the new "compromise", is it fair to say that the only reason these threads were moved was to drop post counts for WW players? I really don't see anything other effect.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Skydog- I would like to know your justification for making this move?

Like many other people have stated there are 1-2 WW threads running at any given time. Please explain to me what sets WW apart from the other numerous OT posts such as poker, hot or not, IWS etc...? I know other people have asked this question but have not answered it. I am asking you in an open forum as opposed to a PM so that all the WW players ( many of them long time respected board members) can see your response.

I understand people may think WW is "stupid" but please justify for me how it is a nuisence to the overall community?

I just don't understand what makes WW different from all the other games people play on the board.

Please don't view this as an attack or me calling you out, I respect the time and effort you put into this community, but I think we are owed an explination.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-27-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #55
DanGarion
Coordinator

you guys realize Werewolf posts have accounted for 1/7 of the entire forums posts right?

-I've never complained, have thought about playing, and was surprised the posts were moved.

Just stating a fact.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #56
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Since when i first joined the board back during the sideline days post count has led to a social heirarchy within the board. Back then grizzled veterans was a title to be proud of. It was a status i felt validated someone as a real core member of the board.

With the coming of the new titles that have far more levels i feel my post count holds even more weight. I went down around 3-4 levels in the FOFC heirarchy with this decision. Therefore, i feel my status and time spent at this board is no longer valued. If i had spent all of my time posting countless meaningless comments in the maximum football thread or what not, i would still have them and my status. I feel a decision has been made by a non-ww player to designate my time and effort in these threads as not worthy of FOFC standards. Post count and title is a source of pride for me, just like it is for Quiksand and JeeberD(2 fellow mods of yours). The reason we have the new titles is people wanted a better way to differentiate high posters from low posters. With this decision, i have been relegated down the ladder of importance within FOFC in my mind.

This view may be considered immature, but obviously enough people cared about post counts and titles that they complained endlessly about WW. Why do their opinions about our post counts and threads matter more then our own opinions? I dont particularly care for threads like maximum football, and avoid them, but i dont mind them being there if others enjoy them.

This forum is a internet discussion board that has evolved into a place for people to have fun. I dont see why Skydog talking about his favorite HS, anxiety telling us he loves us, and krysup(one of the mods) posting about schreech's penis are all considered post worthy while WW is not. We all have our own means of enjoying our stay here at FOFC, and i dont believe its fair to penalize us for enjoying it in a way that skydog does not care about.

I've never cared to much one way or the other about WW threads. However, I think you need to be able to recognize that the around 80ish at most posts that someone got from M-F or even the maybe 100 or 200 that Kodos got from HoN are FAR different than the 4,000 that you have received from WW. More than half of your posts are from WW threads, I just view that as very different than people who get a lot of chunks from various different conversations.

I'm not saying that means you should lose your posts, I'm just saying you really can't compare the two. The sheer volume from WW FAR surpasses any other game/subject/whatever on FOFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #57
Bee
Pro Starter

Funny stuff.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #58
Bee
Pro Starter

Hey wait!!! That post didn't increase my post count!
Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #59
Bee
Pro Starter

dangit...this sucks.

hehe
Old 09-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #60
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think everyone just wants an explanation to why the posts were deleted and why a new forum was created. To the best of my knowledge, no one has even been bitching about this.

Until I hear any better reasons, I am calling this is a total BS move.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #61
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I think everyone just wants an explanation to why the posts were deleted and why a new forum was created. To the best of my knowledge, no one has even been bitching about this.

Doesn't appear to me that any posts were deleted. They just don't count as post count.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #62
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I've never cared to much one way or the other about WW threads. However, I think you need to be able to recognize that the around 80ish at most posts that someone got from M-F or even the maybe 100 or 200 that Kodos got from HoN are FAR different than the 4,000 that you have received from WW. More than half of your posts are from WW threads, I just view that as very different than people who get a lot of chunks from various different conversations.

I'm not saying that means you should lose your posts, I'm just saying you really can't compare the two. The sheer volume from WW FAR surpasses any other game/subject/whatever on FOFC.

I can agree that the volume of posts in WW is a great number. This decision, from the limited reasonings i have been given, is becuase people complained about WW being annoying at that post counts were being skewed,. My counter points to those 2 arguments are as such:

1.What one person finds annoying is another mans haven. I am somewhat annoyed by many of the threads here, but i dont feel a need to complain and have them removed. I dont understand how WW can be more annoying in GD then the Hot or Not threads, which at one time quite recently had 7 threads in the first page of GD(a few days go). Now that this precedent has been set, maybe it is time for me to start complaining constantly about the need for forums for things like politics, news, and even hot or not. I dont think this is at all the right route, as i am a big fan of everything staying in GD(as i stated back in the mod forum when we had this discussion). I think segregating WW just starts a chain of events that either must be dealt with or ignored. I hope its not the latter, as the group of mods was set up to deal with exactly such a situation

2.Post count, which obviously enough people felt was important enough to complain about, has been judged on the basis that WW is an activity that no longer warrants counting towards a users standing within this board. Skydog make the decision to say that our posts matter less then any other on the board. He has stated, through his actions, that screech's penis discussion is more relevant then our posts. If you wish to remove them due to players gaining too many posts, you are doing 2 things. Firstly, you are admitting you yourself care about post counts and how many other users have. Secondly, you must go back and look through all of jeebers posts or any other user and delete or move all posts that aree considered to be post whoring. This move strongly suggests WW is not worthy of counting, and by that means we need to create forum rules for what does count as a post.

Skydog made a decision that seemed partial to certain members, and rather offensive to others. He did so and then reasoned it with a joke. Noting, he did accept alanTs proposal, one that i dont agree with. The compromise basically knocks one thread out of GD, while all the others(which i assume were the ones that made it annoying) are right back in. I felt this was more an attempt to try and settle this discussion quickly, but i appreciate him at least reading out posts.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #63
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
I can agree that the volume of posts in WW is a great number. This decision, from the limited reasonings i have been given, is becuase people complained about WW being annoying at that post counts were being skewed,. My counter points to those 2 arguments are as such:

1.What one person finds annoying is another mans haven. I am somewhat annoyed by many of the threads here, but i dont feel a need to complain and have them removed. I dont understand how WW can be more annoying in GD then the Hot or Not threads, which at one time quite recently had 7 threads in the first page of GD(a few days go). Now that this precedent has been set, maybe it is time for me to start complaining constantly about the need for forums for things like politics, news, and even hot or not. I dont think this is at all the right route, as i am a big fan of everything staying in GD(as i stated back in the mod forum when we had this discussion). I think segregating WW just starts a chain of events that either must be dealt with or ignored. I hope its not the latter, as the group of mods was set up to deal with exactly such a situation

2.Post count, which obviously enough people felt was important enough to complain about, has been judged on the basis that WW is an activity that no longer warrants counting towards a users standing within this board. Skydog make the decision to say that our posts matter less then any other on the board. He has stated, through his actions, that screech's penis discussion is more relevant then our posts. If you wish to remove them due to players gaining too many posts, you are doing 2 things. Firstly, you are admitting you yourself care about post counts and how many other users have. Secondly, you must go back and look through all of jeebers posts or any other user and delete or move all posts that aree considered to be post whoring. This move strongly suggests WW is not worthy of counting, and by that means we need to create forum rules for what does count as a post.

Skydog made a decision that seemed partial to certain members, and rather offensive to others. He did so and then reasoned it with a joke. Noting, he did accept alanTs proposal, one that i dont agree with. The compromise basically knocks one thread out of GD, while all the others(which i assume were the ones that made it annoying) are right back in. I felt this was more an attempt to try and settle this discussion quickly, but i appreciate him at least reading out posts.

Well thought out post. I agree.

I IM'ed Skydog briefly just a few minutes ago, and I hope when he has the chance, he'll explain why he did this, and listen to what many of us are saying. For what it's worth, he's at work, so his time to post or IM extensively is limited. I'm hoping when he has the opportunity, he'll be able to explain to everyone a little more extensively his rationale for this.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 09-27-2006 at 03:09 PM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #64
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
However, I think you need to be able to recognize that the around 80ish at most posts that someone got from M-F or even the maybe 100 or 200 that Kodos got from HoN are FAR different than the 4,000 that you have received from WW. More than half of your posts are from WW threads, I just view that as very different than people who get a lot of chunks from various different conversations.

So be more direct, i also feel that someone like jeeber(who i really like, so he is just an example) has more then 4000 posts combined in all the parody threads. I feel strongly that i should not be penalized for focusing my posts in one area instead of posting into countless dicussions that have no real importance other then a quick laugh.

You view all WW games in one category and my post total from that as such. I view all parody threads as one category, not countless threads. Its a difference in views, i agree.

So now we should go through and look for people who post almost exclusively in a certain type of thread? Thats the idea you hinted at, or at least we should make sure to make tons of little WW threads instead of one big one to avoid exactly what people are complaining about, WW being annoying.

That was kind of a ramble, so excuse me if i was mistaken on any of my views. I thank you again for continuing to keep an open mind.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #65
Subby
lolzcat

I am glad you people got moved to the fringes where you belong.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #66
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I have no real horse in this race - I don't care a great deal about post counts.

However, I can see the logic behind turning off post counts for WW threads. The difference between a WW thread and a random, off-topic thread or poll is this - posting in those other threads, while they may be off-topic and stupid and whatnot provides some input to the board in terms of expressing opinions and providing insight into the character of the poster.

Posting in WW threads, if I've read them correctly (I'm not a WW player and only perused the threads on occasion) is part of the game - people may be adding commentary and whatnot, but you need to post in those threads in order to continue the game, right?

That said, I really don't care either way about post counts.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #67
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Sorry about this guys, I agree with most of you that while WW might have been messing with post counts, various other kinds of threads were doing the same, even more, and there were a lot more of them.

They took my baby and locked it up in jail!

Last edited by Peregrine : 09-27-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Subby, I have never had a problem with you and enjoy talking and playing poker with you so please don't take this the wrong way.

These are the kind of statements that annoy me and are presicely why we should have NOT been moved.

So some people don't like WW, why can't they just ignore the threads the same way I ignore the political or Atlanta high school football threads.

I think Subby's comment sums up the attitude of the babies who complained about WW and I hope you are happy that you gave them what they wanted while punishing members who were doing nothing wrong
Old 09-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #69
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I have no real horse in this race - I don't care a great deal about post counts.

However, I can see the logic behind turning off post counts for WW threads. The difference between a WW thread and a random, off-topic thread or poll is this - posting in those other threads, while they may be off-topic and stupid and whatnot provides some input to the board in terms of expressing opinions and providing insight into the character of the poster.

Posting in WW threads, if I've read them correctly (I'm not a WW player and only perused the threads on occasion) is part of the game - people may be adding commentary and whatnot, but you need to post in those threads in order to continue the game, right?

That said, I really don't care either way about post counts.

""
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #70
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- you being skydog
Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I moved them because the #1 complaint I've received is about the Werewolf threads, and now that we've upgraded to vbulletin 3.6.0, it is (obviously) *very* easy to mass-move threads after doing a search. I'd never done it before now because it would have been a pain to move all of the threads. I would have had to do it one-by-one in the past. The post counts were taken down because they were skewing post counts tremendously.

How isn't this a valid explaination. I think it sums it up quite nicely.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #72
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

I think the Poker people should have their own, non-post counting board too.

... ok, no I don't, but then again, I don't think any of them should have their own board. If anything, create TWO boards -- one is FOF discussions, and one is non-FOF discussions, with WW, Poker, Hot or Not, and all the other threads there.

It's an old adage ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It wasn't broke.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #73
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

That was from a private PM that should have never been shared, and skydog refuses to discuss further due to the fact i shared the reasons. Basically, i should delete that post, as it was never supposed to be public.
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #74
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Can we at least have a mod keep people from trolling our threads? This wasn't a problem before.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #75
Blade6119
Coordinator

Subby and RyanS(an admin with skydog) are bragging about their member #s in the poll in GD. Many members view their status in FOFC with pride, and this was a major slap in the face to those of use that are active on WW.
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

While it sums up his reasoning I think his explination falls very short in explaining how WW is any different from other threads that are OT.

What has WW done to ever hurt anyone? There are alot more inflametory threads that should be put in there own section of the board.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #77
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Can we at least have a mod keep people from trolling our threads? This wasn't a problem before.

Ya, we leave general discussion and we pick up trolls...funny how that works out.
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #78
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I think it was a bush league move, but honestly I could give a carp about post counts. The thing that bothers me is that skydog thinks that 1 or 2 WW threads mess up the board or skew posts and that was his reason. total crap...look at the board right now...2-5 posts on FOF period.

I agree if you are going to move one move them all and create an OT forum if that is the purpose of it all. When I don't play in a WW game I skip the thread no problem...I don't vote in "Hot or Not" or care who drunk guy is...heck I don't post in half the stuff because I don't care about it.

I won't whine or cry to skydog that the other crap is getting in the way though.

Last edited by SnDvls : 09-27-2006 at 04:02 PM.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #79
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Subby and RyanS(an admin with skydog) are bragging about their member #s in the poll in GD. Many members view their status in FOFC with pride, and this was a major slap in the face to those of use that are active on WW.
If you can't tell that both of those posts were tongue-in-cheek then you need a refresher course in reading comprehension. They are both poking fun at your obsession over post counts.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #80
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
If you can't tell that both of those posts were tongue-in-cheek then you need a refresher course in reading comprehension. They are both poking fun at your obsession over post counts.

It was obsession over post counts that led to this. People got upset that we were gaining posts faster then they were and complained. So before you become a smartass remember it is people like subby who are the reason we have this discussion, as it was non-WW players obsessing over our post counts(and obviously skydog agreed).

Go toll elsewhere, if you dont have anything serious to add to the discussion about the descision.
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #81
Subby
lolzcat

It was just a joke guys, yowza...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #82
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It was obsession over post counts that led to this. People got upset that we were gaining posts faster then they were and complained. So before you become a smartass remember it is people like subby who are the reason we have this discussion, as it was non-WW players obsessing over our post counts(and obviously skydog agreed).

Go toll elsewhere, if you dont have anything serious to add to the discussion about the descision.
Lighten up Francis. I'm neither "tolling" nor trolling - I offered an explanation for why WW thread post counts were being considered different than other off-topic posts, and I pointed out how you completely misread the posts by Subby and Ryan S. Unless the definition of trolling has changed to "he posted something I disagree with or don't like", I haven't been trolling.

So take a chill pill dude - you're waaaaaay too worked up about this whole thing.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #83
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
It was just a joke guys, yowza...

In that case, you can play in my next game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #84
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Lighten up Francis. I'm neither "tolling" nor trolling - I offered an explanation for why WW thread post counts were being considered different than other off-topic posts, and I pointed out how you completely misread the posts by Subby and Ryan S. Unless the definition of trolling has changed to "he posted something I disagree with or don't like", I haven't been trolling.

So take a chill pill dude - you're waaaaaay too worked up about this whole thing.
Telling me i need a refresher course in reading comprehension is not explaining WW thread counts or pointing out a misreading. Its calling me stupid, but i apologize for coming back at you with a name that is negative.

Secondly, i dont think it was as tounge in cheek as you assume.

Thirdly, i would ask your opinion of krysup and WSUcougars posts in the other thread about post count being a great use of context for FOFC. Those are two mods, and i took their posts to be very similar to my complaints about status here at FOFC. How do you view them?
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #85
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I see that Subby needs to post more often here again. People have forgotten he usually employs sarcastic remarks/witticisms when he posts.

I saw right away Subby was kidding.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #86
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The fact that people are "joking" or being "sarcastic" doesn't matter because those of us who play WW on a regular basis are taking this seriously. We have basicly been told we aren't even good enough to be in the population with hot or not and penis enlargement threads and to me that seems like a slap in the face.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #87
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The fact that people are "joking" or being "sarcastic" doesn't matter because those of us who play WW on a regular basis are taking this seriously.
Sorry Lathum, but I am going to need to see a video of you pointing to your face and screaming "LOOK AT ME BEING SERIOUS!"

Last edited by Subby : 09-27-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #88
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA. this is the funniest post here.

this is like the time the Nerds got kicked out of their own dorm and had to shack up in the school gymnasium. quick, Subby, throw a basketball at someone while they're sleeping.

Last edited by Anthony : 09-27-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #89
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Telling me i need a refresher course in reading comprehension is not explaining WW thread counts or pointing out a misreading. Its calling me stupid, but i apologize for coming back at you with a name that is negative.

Secondly, i dont think it was as tounge in cheek as you assume.
OK, I admit it was a harsh way of saying you didn't get the humorous intent in those posts. But they were most definitely done with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Quote:
Thirdly, i would ask your opinion of krysup and WSUcougars posts in the other thread about post count being a great use of context for FOFC. Those are two mods, and i took their posts to be very similar to my complaints about status here at FOFC. How do you view them?
Well, let's look at what Ksyrup said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I rarely notice post counts, but I like them when I see an unfamiliar name and am trying to assess how active they have been on the forum. I think it helps, to a limited degree, in trying to assess credibility in certain circumstances. It may also help newbies get a sense for who the most frequent posters are around here, to the extent they care.

I guess it helps to give some context to the FOFC world is what I'm saying.
I have no problem with what he said. I usually don't care much what a person's post count is - I care about the quality of their post. If a newbie posts something interesting or funny, who cares if they're a newbie. But if they're just stirring up shit, then I care more about whether they've been here a while or not.

It's like when you first start work at a new place - you probably aren't going to reveal your most sarcastic or crude sides of your personality immediately; you'll want to wait a while to get to know the rest of your co-workers and figure out what's considered OK behavior.

I don't have a big problem with mods having less tolerance for shit-stirring posts by someone with 15 posts than someone with 1500 - the latter person has been here long enough and made enough of a presence for the mods to get a handle on this poster's personality and judging whether something posted by them that's over the line is typical for them or out of character, (and thus they might deserve a warning instead of a boxing or banning).

I really don't see where you losing 4,000 posts is going to change how anyone views you around here - you've been here long enough and posted enough in a variety of forum topics that most people here have some idea of what you're like.

However, someone that posts primarily in a specialty topic like WW threads (or Hat trick or other dynasty threads) is probably going to be somewhat unfamiliar to the general FOFC populace. I suppose not counting posts in WW threads in your overall post count is a way of representing that fact.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #90
Anthony
Banned

how can someone who lost 4K posts (which equals half of their post count) honestly say they've been contributing to the community? if i had 10,000 posts, 9,896 of which were in a WW thread, how could i say "i contributed to this community and now that i lost all my WW posts i'm relegated back to noob status"?

Last edited by Anthony : 09-27-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #91
Anthony
Banned

i'm going to have to stop posting here, i dont want my posts to not count.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #92
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
how can someone who lost 4K posts (which equals half of their post count) honestly say they've been contributing to the community? if i had 10 posts, 9, 896 of which were in a WW thread, how could i say "i contributed to this community and now that i lost all my WW posts i'm relegated back to noob status"?

For whatever its worth, I lost about 2000 posts, or 67% of my post count. I might be one of the worst offenders, but I still don't care too much about post count I also still think with my 1000 other posts, I've still contributed to the community

I just have contributed in different ways over the years than you or others
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #93
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I understand the point, which is there are lots of frivilous ways to boost one's post count on FOFC, and that post count and respect seem to be closely correlated. That said I don't personally care about post count, though I do understnad those who do.

One point that I think some WW players don't get is that it isn't necessarily the amount of threads that bugs people. I think what really bugs people is that the thread is almost always one of the top 5, or top 10, threads. So they are CONSTANTLY seeing it. I think this makes it seem worse to people than it really is.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #94
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I understand the point, which is there are lots of frivilous ways to boost one's post count on FOFC, and that post count and respect seem to be closely correlated. That said I don't personally care about post count, though I do understnad those who do.

One point that I think some WW players don't get is that it isn't necessarily the amount of threads that bugs people. I think what really bugs people is that the thread is almost always one of the top 5, or top 10, threads. So they are CONSTANTLY seeing it. I think this makes it seem worse to people than it really is.

that, and its the easiest way to gain cred (via padding your post counts) without having to actually contribute much to the community.

i contribute a ton to this place, and i only have 4500 posts. i have a higher ratio of quality posts so it seems like i do more here. i'm not confined to some nerd game - i'm out there in the trenches with my neck on the line, risking boxings and bannings for the amusement of others. in the words of Kellen Winslow Jr: "I'm a soldier".
Old 09-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #95
saldana
Pro Starter

i think this is horseshit...

we are being singled out because we choose to post in a threads that arent popular

the reason given for this is because people complain that we are inflating our post counts.

we are then being called whiners because we dont like the fact that our post counts dropped

except that the reason we got moved and our post counts dropped is because other people were whining that our post counts are higher because we play werewolf

this double standard is apparently not being considered in terms of our basically being treated as second class members of the board, despite the fact that people like Bubba Wheels and MrBigglesworth rarely post in any threads that are not about politics and have nothing to do with FOF (note to both those guys, i mean nothing personal by this, and have no problems with your posts or threads)

i dont have a problem with changing standards...i do have a problem when those standards are not applied uniformly to the community....as far as i am concerned, this is discrimination against our portion of this community.

ALL WEREWOLF PLAYERS, PLEASE MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE BUS
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #96
Groundhog
Coordinator

I find this thread amusing.

Last edited by Groundhog : 09-27-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #97
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've only skimmed the thread, so maybe this was answered, what's the big deal? Why does it matter that there is a WW specific forum now?

I mean I agree, I always thought it was funny/dumb when people complained about the one or two active WW threads, but does it really matter which forum it's in?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #98
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I've only skimmed the thread, so maybe this was answered, what's the big deal? Why does it matter that there is a WW specific forum now?

I mean I agree, I always thought it was funny/dumb when people complained about the one or two active WW threads, but does it really matter which forum it's in?

Skydog also made this forum not count towards your post count, so every post in every WW game/thread has been taken away from our post counts, as well as all future posts not counting. So basically he said go over in the corner and dont bother us anymore
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #99
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

1/3 of my posts disappeared(and I haven't even played in about 6 months). Guess I can't relate to people that are bothered by that.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-27-2006 at 06:29 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #100
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Skydog also made this forum not count towards your post count, so every post in every WW game/thread has been taken away from our post counts, as well as all future posts not counting. So basically he said go over in the corner and dont bother us anymore

No, not really. It's not like WW players are banned from posting in the GD...

Besides, they are only post counts? Who cares?