Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
hoopsguy
General Manager

upcoming game - Age of Apocalypse

Since my game appears to be coming up pretty soon (although I will not be able to run it until 9/22, at the soonest, based on work schedule), I figured that I would see if I can get the ball rolling on this one. This is not intended as an official sign-up thread, since I don't know what the date is going to be for when the game is going to run, but it is intended to gauge interest.

For those who recall the last game, Apocalypse Awakens, characters selected their hero/villain prior to the start of the game. Tyrith (my co-moderator) and I created unique roles for each player, based on their comic book choice. We'll be doing the same thing this time around, but with a twist. We'll also be creating OperationSports accounts named for the hero/villain that you should use for posting in the thread. So here is your chance to play outside of the boundaries of your FOFC/OS rep, if you want to change things up.

I'll ask that people interested in playing post in the thread that they are interested, but do not include the hero/villain name. After signing up, please send a PM to both me and Tyrith with the names of two characters you want to play. For those who don't know Marvel comics, I'm including links for info on Marvel heroes/villains. Or just PM/IM me and we can figure out what kind of existing characters meet the type of person you would like to play.

First come, first served on character selections (sorry if you are the second person requesting Wolverine, for example). You have the right to change your mind on who to play right up to the time that you receive your role (and password to the in-game account) at the start of the game.

I'll also list the rules when we have them finalized - I'm expecting this to happen somewhere in the next two weeks. I would expect them to be similar in complexity to the ones from the last Apocalypse game (linked below):
Werewolf XLI - Apocalypse Awakens - Game over! - Front Office Football Central

hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
hoopsguy
General Manager

Main Page - Marvel Universe: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios.
- Category:Age of Apocalypse - Marvel Universe: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios. (theme roughly based on this story arc)

Category:Characters - Marvel Database

Marvel Heroes Classic Roleplaying Game - Marvel RPG (relied on heavily for last game)

Master List Guide

Wikipedia has a ton of entries as well (relied on heavily for last game) - do you really need the link for Wikipedia?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
hoopsguy
General Manager

Also, I would love to see new characters introduced to this game rather than repeats from last game. I'm not going to say "no" to someone who wants to play their favorite character, but if all things are equal then I would ask you to pick someone who was not in the last game.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
hoopsguy
General Manager

Rules Version 0.1

Rules post:

Versions:
0.1 initial rules post (8/23)

This is very much subject to change as we further implement the guts of the rules. But this initial posting should give you at least the flavor of the game we intend to create. Expect there to be a number of additions here to provide the framework for day/night actions, as well as elements that will be unique to this game.

Moderator Source Note #1 - There were a pair of superhero games on BoardGameGeek (BGG), one involving Thanos and another that was an X-Men based game, that got me looking at comics as source material.
- The Werewolf Gauntlet: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/112679
- X-Man: The Cure: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/117348/page/1

From there I ran a game here and read one more comic game at BGG. This game draws upon elements from all of the BGG stories, while continuing the story from my first Apocalypse game.
- Apocalypse Awakens: http://operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=56193
- End of Forever: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/151897

Moderator Source Note #2 - this game will be based very loosely upon the X-Men story "The Age of Apocalypse". This was a story written in 1995 where Professor Xavier is killed, thus creating an alternate timeline where Apocalypse comes to rule. A number of familiar characters are cast in new roles in the harsh "survival of the fittest" regime. In our story, Apocalypse defeated the heroes in "Apocalypse Awakens" and has broadened his power base over the past two years.

Here is a summary of the original story in the comics. Note that I will be quite liberal with my adaptation to werewolf and that events are likely to deviate substantially from the comic version.
- http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/time/showfaq.asp?fldAuto=13

Moderator Source Note #3 - anyone who reads all of the links I provide probably has too much time on their hands.

Background:
Apocalypse has established dominion over the Americas and is looking to extend his power across the globe. The primary enforcers of his will are a high council of Prelates. Although there have been sporadic uprisings over the years, but none have had required resources and leadership necessary to effect a disrupt Apocalypse's rule. However, that may be changing as the Hounds have identified a traitorous Prelate. If this wasn't enough of a concern, there is the little matter of the arrival of Galactus, Eater of Worlds, sizing up earth.

Players: 25 (not a fixed #)
Evil/Werewolves: rebellion against Apocalypse
Good/Villagers: Apocalypse, his Prelates, and those loyal to him
Undetermined: those who don't neatly fit under the other two categories

During sign-ups, each player selects a Marvel comics hero or villain that they would like to play during this game. The moderator has the right to refuse a selection (Galactus can not be selected) but will try to accomodate any reasonable selection. The moderator will assign roles/powers prior to the start of the game.

The game begins with an established ruling hierarchy under Apocalypse. This is well known to all players - these are public roles. Not all players will have a public role. Each player has a private role that includes powers, health, energy, and win conditions (if different from overall group)

Win Conditions:
Evil: Overthrow the tyrant, assume majority of seats on ruling council. Don't let Galactus eat the planet.
Good: Squash the rebellion - eliminate all evil. Don't let Galactus eat the planet.

Characters:
Each character will be assigned a set of powers, as well as ratings for Health and Energy.
Health - how much damage a character can sustain before they are killed
Energy - the currency for taking actions. All powers cost at least one point of energy
Powers - these will differ from character to character. As you would expect with a comic book theme, some characters will be inherently more powerful than others

Last edited by hoopsguy : 08-23-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

IN
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
Barkeep49
Coordinator

In.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
hoopsguy
General Manager

Also, if you have questions about the rules, comments on what worked/didn't work from last game, or want to talk about what you think should be in the game to make it better, this would be a good place to do it. As noted earlier, the rules are moving towards completion, but I'm very willing to get feedback and/or wish list stuff now and try to incorporate it into the game.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

You know I'm in like sin.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 AM   #9
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Depending on my work schedule outlook when the game comes around, I'm your huckleberry.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm definitely in, I'll draft up a PM in a minute here.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

IN, working on PM
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've got about a 50/50 mix of character requests that are repeats/new so far. Which is fine. Just a word to the wise - if you end up playing someone who was in the last game expect that there will be some substantial changes in powers, health, energy, etc. I don't want people to be able to have perfect knowledge of what the special roles will entail.

I'm excited about a couple of the new selections. One was a character that I would have expected to see last game, while another was a very cool pick that is a little more obscure.

I'll probably post a few of the character requests - along with a couple of dummy ones mixed in for disguise purposes - when I've gotten a couple more. That should help avoid repeat requests, while giving people an idea of what to expect when the game comes around.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Depending on my work schedule outlook when the game comes around, I'm your huckleberry.

Feel free to make a character request anytime - it certainly is not binding in terms of participating.

I would hate for you to have your heart set on Longshot, only to have him snapped up before you enter your request. I'm using Longshot as the example because there were multiple requests for him last time around (who knew???) and as a result I wasn't able to bring in a first-time WW player.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Boo! What happened to "Apocalypse lounges around in bed for a bit and then has a spot of breakfast"?
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
hoopsguy
General Manager

Apocalypse is a man of action. He who "lounges around in bed for a bit and then has a spot of breakfast" is probably weak and would not survive in his harsh regime.

On a semi-related note, Apocalypse (NTN) and Silver Surfer (Path12) have the option to come back as those characters this time around, with the understanding that they will be automatic selections for the leadership group (Apoc + Prelate #1). Or they can opt to take different characters that may not be Prelates. But if NTN isn't able to play, or just wants to play someone new, then the Apocalypse role would be open.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #16
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

in
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
hoopsguy
General Manager

Random note - creating the characters is a heck of a lot of fun. Time consuming, but fun.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #18
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

this sounds good... dunno if i can play! but why not try

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
Schmidty
Coordinator

PM sent!!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #20
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I will probably be in - I am not very well versed in the land of Marvel Comics, so I will have to dig around and see if I can pick out someone fun
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #21
hoopsguy
General Manager

FYI - for those of you who don't know the Marvel universe all that well, I'll be creating a bunch of extra characters leading up to the game. Basically, when people submit three names, I'm going to create all three of them in advance. During the sign-up week, I'll post a list of "pre-generated" hero/villain options. If you decide you want one of those, just let me know (by PM) and I'll match you up with that character.

This should make the pre-game a little less research intensive, if that is not appealing to you. But if you want to have the ability to, more or less, determine the type of character you are playing then it makes sense to do some homework with the Marvel links or talk with someone who knows comics. Based on the last game, there are several WW posters who could probably help with this.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
RendeR
Coordinator

Count me in, PM to follow shortly.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
hoopsguy
General Manager

So far I've got about 20 or so characters that have been submitted. I did 8 of them last night. Only had one duplicate request so far, and I'm pretty surprised at who the duplicate is - not one of the big comic book names.

At the end of the week, I'll post the first list of names I've received, along with create status (done or not done). I figure it will be big enough at that point that there won't be any real advantage in terms of figuring out who might be who.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #24
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

So do you want us to be submitting character requests or not? I was just under the impression that this was an interest gauge and that you would open formal character requests when the sign-up is out. Doesn't matter much to me, just making sure I get in a request if I need to!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #25
hoopsguy
General Manager

Packer, it is definitely helpful if you PM me now with the character requests. It is not binding - you have the right to change your mind, or not play when the game comes around.

Giving me the characters now - via PM - helps me with pre-creating the characters. In a game where every character has powers/abilities, that is a huge part of creating the game balance. So being able to do it ahead of time is very helpful for me.

Also, please include Tyrith as well on the PM as he is working with me on the game creation, even if I'm the one doing all the talking about it in this thread
Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #26
hoopsguy
General Manager

Dola - each character takes me about 15-45 minutes to create. So if I had to create 25 of them at the start of the game, in a short time window, and then make sure that the rules balance held up, then I would be working non-stop for two days just to get the game launched. I want to get as much of that as possible out of the way now, while understanding that I'll still have to do some of that for late requests, changes, etc.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #27
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

That makes total sense now, gotcha. I will take a look and send you something by tonight
Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #28
Autumn
Head Coach

As you know, I'd like to play. It will be dicey, depending on when it starts. We're planning on moving around the beginning of October, so I may or may not be able to jump in. I'll PM you a couple of ideas though just in case.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #29
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Are Marvel characters from the past/or deceased characters allowed?

RIP
Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #30
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

no you cant be JFK!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #31
hoopsguy
General Manager

Crim, if they can come back in the real comics then they can make an appearance in this game.

In the comic book spirit, I would love to see an explanation for how the character survived, or came back to life, within the game thread at some point.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #32
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Alrighty then, PM sent.

You tell 'em I'm coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?...
Hell's coming with me!

RIP
Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #33
Schmidty
Coordinator

Don't forget that hoops is giving us new accounts with our characters names, so don't tell everyone who you are.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 AM   #34
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Don't forget that hoops is giving us new accounts with our characters names, so don't tell everyone who you are.
Yeah cause when there is a character who turns green and has anger issues we'll all want to be guessing who it is .
Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

oooh we're doing that for this game???

NIFTY
Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #36
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yep, that is the whole idea behind not saying who you are requesting in the thread.

I'm looking forward to cackling along when Alan decides to adopt a SnDvls-style of posting with his temporary handle
Old 08-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Yeah cause when there is a character who turns green and has anger issues we'll all want to be guessing who it is .

You think I'm That PREDICTABLE?!?!?!?!?

You don't know me, damnit.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #38
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

HULK SMASH

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

HULK SMASH!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #40
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
You think I'm That PREDICTABLE?!?!?!?!?

You don't know me, damnit.
I told hoops that if you weren't going to be allowed to play the Hulk, to me the single most memorable role playing we've ever had, that I woudl be very disappointed. I understand if you don't want the role, but still.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #41
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
So far I've got about 20 or so characters that have been submitted. I did 8 of them last night. Only had one duplicate request so far, and I'm pretty surprised at who the duplicate is - not one of the big comic book names.

At the end of the week, I'll post the first list of names I've received, along with create status (done or not done). I figure it will be big enough at that point that there won't be any real advantage in terms of figuring out who might be who.

Update - 12 done out of 28 total character requests. Still only the one duplicate, and it is not a first request for both people. So all initial requests are still in line to be honored.

BK, if your brother was amused by the character requests in the first game wait until he gets a load of these

Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #42
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

OK couple of balancing issues that you've probably thought of.
1) Last game the bad guys could basically sit around accumulating EPs which came in useful when there was a lynch/fight at the end, as they could power up their attacks. Meanwhile the good guys with "night" powers had to use up most of their EPs on those powers.
2) Given the connection between names and powers, the baddies have a good shot at targeting the seer-types.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #43
hoopsguy
General Manager

1.) We're going to be putting caps on the vast majority of players, in terms of max damage that can be delivered on a given day
1a.) The intent right now is that the minority team (wolves) will have to use energy with their night kills. Still working on this one, it is a challenging one to implement within the health/energy model without just throwing all kinds of extra energy to the bad guys
2.) From post #4,
Quote:
However, that may be changing as the Hounds have identified a traitorous Prelate
This isn't a throw-away line. The Hounds act as the primary "seer" in the game, although there may be additional seer type roles (much like last game). But there is definitely going to be a variation on the standard seer dynamic tihs time out.

I would expect that Tyrith and I will publish full rules for the game somewhere in the week of Sept 8th. We've really got two main issues to work through at the moment - once we have those nailed down we'll just be putting finishing touches on some "nice to have" elements.

Also, up to 16 characters created. The influx of new requests has dried up so I'll just go ahead and put out the list now, along with a couple of additional characters we are planning to create in case someone decides to pick them.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #44
hoopsguy
General Manager

Returning from last game, by virtue of victory:
Apocalypse (created)
Silver Surfer (created)
Moon Knight (created)

I've extended offers to NTN and Path to play Apoc/Surfer again if they are so inclined. However, if these roles are not filled then I'll look for someone else to take up the mantle one these guys. Surfer and Moon Knight will be the top two prelates (order to be determined).

Back, by popular demand (player request) from last game:
Daredevil (created)
Dr. Doom (created)
Hulk (created)
Mandarin (created)
Mr. Sinister (created)
Professor X (created)
Spiderman (created)

And here are character requests that were not present in the last game:
Annihilus (created)
Banshee
Colossus (created)
Conan (created)
Cyclops
Douglock
Elixir (created)
Fin Fang Foom (created)
Firebird (created)
Forge
Gargoyle (created)
Genesis (created)
Hell Rider (created)
Henry Pym
Invisible Woman (created)
Jean Grey (created)
Kang the Conqueror (created)
Kingpin
Madrox
Maelstrom
Mimic (created)
Mr. Fantastic (created)
Mr. Sinister
Nightcrawler (created)
Puck (created)
Quicksilver (created)
Rogue (created)
Sage (created)
Scarlet Witch (created)
Shadowcat (created)
Shadow King (created)
Silver Samurai (created)
Spiral
Stilt Man (created)
Trevor Fitzroy
Union Jack (created)
White Queen (created)

8/31 Updated create status. New characters to be added mid-week.
9/6 Updated create status, new characters

Last edited by hoopsguy : 09-06-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #45
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Like I said earlier, I am in, but I don't think I shall reprise my role of Apocolypse. It would be fun, but it will also be fun to try another role as well.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #46
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
HULK SMASH!!!

That is trademarked. I must ask you to refrain from further use, or our legal team will be forced to take the appropriate actions.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #47
Thomkal
Head Coach

gotta play in this despite the werewolf rustiness. Perhaps I should play someone a little less obscure than Cannonball this time around.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #48
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Okay, so I'm reading through the original Apocolypse thread and this retort by RA gave me giggleshits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
You shall die.

ATTACK DEADPOOL(Mystic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
IT TICKLES (Armpits)

lol

RIP
Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #49
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah there's a lot of good roleplaying and funny lines in that game.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 AM   #50
Danny
Head Coach

Hoops, can I sign up and then potentially drop before the game starts if I don't have enough time to commit?
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote