I respect your authori-tah.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #552
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
well I was in fact one of the cops

Ahh, well then I completely was off on my reads there then.. my play this game I think was the epitome of luck. I made the right moves for all of the wrong reasons.

I figured Ntn and Barkeep were the cops since BK gave strong hints that ntn was ok, and then ntn basically hinted at being a cop and said the alphabetical order thing which meant to me that ntn had to be second alphabetically, meaning that BK once again would be the other one... But I saw your posts and it made me think you also had some knowledge and I figured you were the psychic... ahh well

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #553
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

World's worst psychic here. Not only did the wolves have a run of bad luck.

Night One: Scanned RendeR - wanted to see if there was a wolf versus wolf thing going on there

Night Two: Scanned The Jackal - he was coming after me so I wanted to see where his allegiance lied

I actually sent jeheinz a joking PM after night 2 saying "you do understand that I said to scan them, not kill them?".

I was hoping that I wouldn't be forced into a counter reveal as of yet because who would believe me when asked who I scanned if I come back with the answer.

jeheinz's response to my RendeR scan was telling me that he was the cyborg and ended it with something along the line of not that this information is of any help to you. I wondered what he meant by that until I read the thread and the night results.

I probably played a strange game but to my defense this was my first roled villager game (and only about my 3rd or 4th villager game). I was actually hoping to keep my name a little bit in the list of people being suspected as I hoped it would keep the wolves off me.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #554
hoopsguy
General Manager

Heh - here I was thinking you had scanned PackerFanatic.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #555
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Heh - here I was thinking you had scanned PackerFanatic.

Nope, just got a good feel from his day one vote and found nothing strange of his day two vote as it was pre-reveal.

Was looking to scan cronin or ntndeacon next (ntndeacon only if path was good). cronin's moves early day 3 made me wonder about him (I know that's ironic based on my moves ).
Old 09-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #556
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Nope, just got a good feel from his day one vote and found nothing strange of his day two vote as it was pre-reveal.

Was looking to scan cronin or ntndeacon next (ntndeacon only if path was good). cronin's moves early day 3 made me wonder about him (I know that's ironic based on my moves ).

Yeah, i wanted to reach through my monitor and slap you when I got home last night.. I was like.. are you seriously voting for me?

My wife was right, I was in a crappy mood though for endless number of reasons last night, so I am sure that didn't help any!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #557
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Wow, path was indeed the 3rd robber.

Makes it short and sweet for me, back to drinking!

VILLAGERS WIN A MAJOR VICTORY!
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #558
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I'll post more about the game Monday when I get back.

Time to get wasted. PEACE! Great game village.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #559
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yeah, i wanted to reach through my monitor and slap you when I got home last night.. I was like.. are you seriously voting for me?

My wife was right, I was in a crappy mood though for endless number of reasons last night, so I am sure that didn't help any!

I seriously misread the meaning of saldanas post. I also suspect you a lot so I figured it was a good enough place to start. Plus I kept getting path confused with clap in my mind for the day one votes which is why I was more suspicious of you when you would mention path and PF (you know my reasons behind trusting PF, a little). After seeing that I was remembering the wrong name things got a lot clearer.

I do have to say it did kind of suck finally getting a seer role and not being able to use that power to help the team at all with that lousy luck. I thought for certain that RendeR would be left alone by the wolves not only because of the Lathum thing but because he was an absentee voter which may make him a day two lynch target. For The Jackal I really thought he would not be targeted since he was targeting me so it would make sense to let him live another day to maybe get a villager voted out.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #560
SnDvls
Pro Starter

well here's my night actions

Protect money
Protect Saldana
and tonght I was going to protect Alan
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #561
SnDvls
Pro Starter

EF - you only pinged on my radar today after you said you trust Saldana (who was voting path) and voted NTN...that just was way off for me. Then realizing you confused path & clap it makes more sense now.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #562
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
Wow, path was indeed the 3rd robber.

Makes it short and sweet for me, back to drinking!

VILLAGERS WIN A MAJOR VICTORY!

Be sure and put out the word that I took Alan out with me!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #563
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Be sure and put out the word that I took Alan out with me!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #564
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Appreciate the vote of confidence on me

That was a great game all-around by those that were digging deep though.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #565
Barkeep49
Coordinator

FTR, I was only a regular villager. Having suffered from some of the same burnout Lathum did, even after returning from my break, I was pleased to turn in a strong performance here as a vanilla villager.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 AM   #566
hoopsguy
General Manager

I think burnout is, to a large extent, self-fulfilling.

You play a couple of bad games, and say "wow, i'm not having as much fun anymore. I'm just going through the motions"

Then you decide that you are going to play better. Maybe it happens, in which case burnout issue resolved. But sometimes, even your best efforts to play well don't make a difference over one or two games. And then it just magnifies the feeling of "I'm not having fun anymore".

Anyway, I'll be rooting for the folks who are taking a break to have strong/lucky games upon their return.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #567
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

what got to me was getting lynched day one in like 4 strait games.... that sucked. i was quiet for a while, then i stopped getting lynched, now I can post endlessly again!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #568
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

You play a couple of bad games, and say "wow, i'm not having as much fun anymore. I'm just going through the motions"

Then you decide that you are going to play better. Maybe it happens, in which case burnout issue resolved. But sometimes, even your best efforts to play well don't make a difference over one or two games. And then it just magnifies the feeling of "I'm not having fun anymore".

I think your later examples undermines your thesis. I think the fun one has can be independent of the level of play. So playing a couple of bad games might be because you're not having fun and it's only when you play those bad games that you realize it. You take a break, come back, and still aren't feeling it suggests that perhaps it's not just the quality of play that makes one enjoy or not enjoy the game.

I think the perfect example of this is Schmidty, who has frequently said he stinks at the game. Yet he plays time and time again. Clearly the fact that he feels that he stinks (which I think is completely unfair to himself) doesn't stop him from playing.

I think either you're enjoying the machinations and subterfuge and detective work or you're not. How you play might effect this enjoyment, but for many people it's not the determining factor.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #569
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

Aw, you know I wouldn't kill you if I didn't like you.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #570
The Jackal
Coordinator

I think this is where the mortal kombat announcers goes - "Flawless Victory"
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #571
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ahh, well then I completely was off on my reads there then.. my play this game I think was the epitome of luck. I made the right moves for all of the wrong reasons.

I figured Ntn and Barkeep were the cops since BK gave strong hints that ntn was ok, and then ntn basically hinted at being a cop and said the alphabetical order thing which meant to me that ntn had to be second alphabetically, meaning that BK once again would be the other one... But I saw your posts and it made me think you also had some knowledge and I figured you were the psychic... ahh well

Aye, I got there a bit late. Well actually I thought about it for a bit then forgot it again and voted NTN anyway. Then I was trying to find a way to move off of NTN without attracting too much attention. First I thought you were a psychic or a cop but then I realised you were just reacting to the same (incorrect, as it turns out) thing I saw in Barkeep. That's why I brought up the whole reveal thing because I was sure the wolves would see the same thing we had seen. So that was another piece of luck for us because I'd probably have stayed on NTN but for what I thought was as good as a vouch from BK.

Quite pleased that the standard rules of who to vote for on day one paid off with PB. Arguing for someone but voting another way is a bit of a tell, although there's a lot of villagers who do it. I know I sometimes have to remind myself not to do it as a villager. And it was extremely cunning of me to lead a charge against a roled villager on day two so his reveal would land us the second wolf.

Oh I was the duke by the way. Which helped not a jot, although it made me feel more secure. I was worried that because I wasn't around at deadline my conditional duke orders would lynch someone who had revealed as a seer or cop.

I think 3 robbers might be a bit too few given the rules set, although I guess it depends on the kill % chances and they did have the ex-con.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #572
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Anyway, I'll be rooting for the folks who are taking a break to have strong/lucky games upon their return.

I think the times I have gotten burned out didn't have as much to do with how well or bad I did in the game, but instead of other people's reactions or comments to me. I've had some real stinker of games, but I kind of laugh at them after the fact or just make fun of them myself.. The only time I get burnt out is when I feel others think it is more important to try to use a game to insult or slam someone in a non-game sense. When you start going to heavily insulting someone and their play style, that is not gamesmanship, that is just being mean-spirited and it usually crushes my desire to play. It hasn't happened in a few games that i've noticed at least, but I'll be completely honest that it has entirely affected how I play WW as seen with how I've handled Saldana the past few games as well. (Saldana hasn't done anything mean or said anything mean, I just mention him since it came up in this game that I played differently in regards to him.. but I did the same the last game as well.. and it is mainly because I didn't really appreciate some of the comments some other players made several games back).

Maybe I am different than other players though, but I have really enjoyed some of the games I lost badly in, and had other games I really did well in that I didn't enjoy at all.. I think for me playing WW at FOFC is being part of a community and that is what makes it enjoyable for me. When the community turns in on itself and starts to eat its own, that detracts from my enjoyment.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #573
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I can see it being easy to be burnt out if you play a lot as playing can take a chunk of your time. I usually play a few games in a row and then take a break (or take a break if the up coming game looks too time consuming).
Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #574
saldana
Pro Starter

unreal...i cant believe the village ran the table.

fwiw from my end, i wont play in another game with a deadline in the middle of the day like that...i like the 2 hour night phase, but it was really hard to be active at all when i has having a busy day at work all week.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #575
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

But chicken and eggy, I play a lot worse when I've played too much.

I actually thought BK was the psychic, Alan came out before the night action saying how NTN needed to be looked at and then straight after the night deadline BK is saying how the odds actually mean that NTN can't be a wolf. That argument just didn't stand up for (it's kind of like saying you're less likely to throw a 6 if you've already rolled two 6s. Well, except it isn't). If you've got one person who hasn't voted wolf and 11 who have then I'd say, and I'll still say, the odds are that that person is the wolf.

On another note what is it about Alan in Heinz's games. If I'm ever a wolf in a game by Heinz that Alan's a villager in I'm throwing in the towel straight away.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #576
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

What other game did Jeheinz run that I did well in? My memory is foggy.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #577
hoopsguy
General Manager

Heroes - you were the bomb in that game.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #578
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola,

I wouldn't necessarily say I played this one that well. I just got lucky. I was right about PB, but my votes on Lathum and Path were just lucky cases where I had run out of other choices to vote for. I wouldn't necessarily say this was one of my better games.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #579
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe I am different than other players though, but I have really enjoyed some of the games I lost badly in, and had other games I really did well in that I didn't enjoy at all.. I think for me playing WW at FOFC is being part of a community and that is what makes it enjoyable for me. When the community turns in on itself and starts to eat its own, that detracts from my enjoyment.

I think this sums up my philosophy here as well. I know at times my play can be somewhat inconsistent because I'll play most games even if there are times I'm not as active due to real life constraints. But it's the fun and the comradarie (sp?) that I enjoy most rather than necessarily winning or losing (though don't get me wrong, I do prefer to win!).

When we're in one of those meta-game spat/bickering phases that crop up from time to time are the only times that I don't enjoy the game.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #580
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
unreal...i cant believe the village ran the table.

fwiw from my end, i wont play in another game with a deadline in the middle of the day like that...i like the 2 hour night phase, but it was really hard to be active at all when i has having a busy day at work all week.

these are the only games I'll play in now due to my schedule at home.