Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Restricted FA's?

It's probably too late now, but i have some concerns with people potentially bidding very large one year offers on 2nd and 3rd year players. And then next offseason they can sign them again to whatever deal they want, due to the fact that they'd be restricted. And no other teams could make offers on the guys next year.

I mean, this is just as big of an potential exploit as the huge one year deal, then franchise/renegotiate.

Basically, even though that 3 year deal thing is in place for rookies, i think the league needs some sort of a RFA bidding process for these type of players.

Last edited by stevew : 11-01-2008 at 01:53 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's probably too late now, but i have some concerns with people potentially bidding very large one year offers on 2nd and 3rd year players. And then next offseason they can sign them again to whatever deal they want, due to the fact that they'd be restricted. And no other teams could make offers on the guys next year.

I mean, this is just as big of an potential exploit as the huge one year deal, then franchise/renegotiate.

Basically, even though that 3 year deal thing is in place for rookies, i think the league needs some sort of a RFA bidding process for these type of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One True Dark Jedi

REMINDER OF RULES FOR FA2:1, FA2:2, FA2:3
  • The maximum bonus that you may offer to any player is $40,000,000.
  • The maximum salary that you may offer to any player in any one year is $25,000,000.
  • Players who are in year 1-3 must be offered a deal of at least three years.
  • Note that the three rules above are only meant to apply for FA2:1, FA2:2, and FA2:3, but if for some bizarre reason good players slip through the cracks after that, the rules may be extended for the remainder of FA2.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Players who are in year 1-3 must be offered a deal of at least three years.

That rule is for 2nd and 3rd year players as well.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Ben E Lou

And Steve, you're dead right. What you mention is the very reason that rule is in place. It was *THE* most powerful strat in the ECFL's initial draft.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

I see, in this league's future, a lot of voided too-short contracts for young players.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I see, in this league's future, a lot of voided too-short contracts for young players.
I will be running a check before releasing tomorrow's file, so don't be shocked if it takes a while after sim time.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Suicane75
Coordinator

I made a few mistakes and had to withdraw offers and noticed that I could not make new offers to those guys. Has it always been that way and has anyone ever asked Jim why he does it that way?

I would of liked to of made them offers but after having the game open for almost 6 hours there was no way i was starting over.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I made a few mistakes and had to withdraw offers and noticed that I could not make new offers to those guys. Has it always been that way and has anyone ever asked Jim why he does it that way?
My best guess? It never occurred to Jim that people would have stages in which they were making enough offers for it to matter. Keep in mind that we're wayyyyyyyyyyyy outside of "the way the game was meant to be played" here. FOF isn't exactly programmed to be played outside the box. You probably have no idea the amount of gyrations and clicks and incantations it took to get the league file to a state where doing this would be possible. (Big thanks to Celeval and MalcPow for the help in making that happen...)

Quote:
I would of liked to of made them offers but after having the game open for almost 6 hoursthere was no way i was starting over.

I haven't done my stage yet, but plan on doing it this afternoon. Yowza.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, just seems like a feature with no particular use.

I actually had to take a number of breaks from doing my export as my fingers were legit hurting from looking at just about everyone with a future over 30 and entering a gazillion contract offers.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yeah, just seems like a feature with no particular use.
I'll bet you'll find it useful if you sign four QBs this stage, and have pending offers to three more.

Seriously, it's a feature that really isn't designed to be used within a stage. An "undo" feature is more appropriate for what I think we're looking for here. "Withdraw Offer" is really for after a stage is processed: "I've changed my mind. Either I signed someone else at your position, or signed someone expensive at another and can no longer affor you. Good luck this season with another team." In fact, since you submitted an export with withdrawn offers to some guys, I wouldn't be at all suprised if you get "past injustices" messages from them if you try to sign them later this season.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

This is reminiscent of the whole "why can't I save my export and pick it up again later?" argument we've all tried to make over the years.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ah, I never realized that if I withdrew an offer it would have an effect in gameland. I figured it was just a tenchical mechanism to remove an offer. But yeah, an "undo" feature would be nice.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
In fact, since you submitted an export with withdrawn offers to some guys, I wouldn't be at all suprised if you get "past injustices" messages from them if you try to sign them later this season.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case - I think you will be able to submit an offer the next stage to the same guys.

The problem seems to be not that the player gets tagged as "angry" and unresponsive to offers from your team, but rather that the player gets tagged with the "you have already made an offer to this player this stage," and that label doesn't get removed when you withdraw (as it should). Next stage, I think you will be able to re-approach him without prejudice.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
Ben E Lou

Cool. Good to hear.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
RedKingGold
College Starter

Uploaded.

Most. Excruciating. Stage. Evar.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-02-2008 at 08:11 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Tasan
College Starter

sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by Tasan : 11-02-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote