Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Umbrella
High School Varsity

To Infinity And Beyond: Kerbal Space Program

I'm a couple of years behind the rest of the world, but I finally picked up Kerbal Space Program. I don't have a lot of experience with the game, other than playing through a few early missions and watching some youtube videos. So expect mistakes a-plenty. I'll be playing on normal difficulty, with the exception that if a Kerbal dies, they stay dead. Also, no mods.

I'm going to default to Brian's excellent preview My Little Kerbals(Kerbal Space Program) - Front Office Football Central (posts #2 and #3) since I am too lazy to do all that work. Don't expect that level of detail from me.

Similar to the US Space Program, I will be implementing goals in the forms of Programs. I'll stay in each program until the goal has been accomplished, then the next program will start. In addition, each launch will have its own goal or goals, which should help accomplish the program goal.

Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Umbrella
High School Varsity

The Icarus Program
Purpose: Put a Kerbal in orbit around Kerbin

The first announcement by the KSP is the formation of the Icarus Program. Before we can begin to explore space, we need to figure out a way to escape the atmosphere of Kerbin, and eventually reach stability in the form of orbiting. As noted in Brian's preview, we don't start off with much, so we need to do some science related missions to increase our tech to the point we can accomplish the program's goal.

Last edited by Umbrella : 04-12-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Expand the purpose of the Icarus Program
Old 04-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck. I've come close to resuming various times but something has always gotten in the way. Development continues on KSP and there are some interesting things coming, patches since I wrote about it, etc.

Have fun, and try not to kill too many Kerbals ....
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 1
Goals: Launch into the air, return safely, gather science

The maiden flight of the space program. We accepted a couple of missions from mission control: Gather Scientific Data, and Launch Our First Vessel. Since we need to increase our science, there will be science gathering as well. For that reason, I thought it would be better to have Bob man this mission instead of a pilot.

Rocket assembly: MK16 Parachute (0.2 min pressure, which will be my default for this item), MK1 Command Pod, RT-5 "Flea" Solid Fuel Booster, 3 Basic Fins, 2 Goo Cannisters.

Mass: 2.57T
Height: 3.0m
Width: 2.0m
Length: 1.9m
Stages: 1
Cost: 2897
Crew: Bob (Scientist)
Launch Time: 0y, 0d, 00:00:00

Size doesn't matter. At least that's what I've been told.

Bob did some initial gathering of science at the launch pad, and then it was time to launch. It was rather uneventful, which is a good thing. We went up, came down, and landed safely. We also did a quick goo observation while in the air.

Not in space yet, but high enough to start to see Kerbin's curvature.

After landing, Bob collected more data.

Missions accomplished: Both
Science gathered: Goo cannisters at launch pad, flying over Kerbin, crawlerway, EVA at launch pad, crawlerway, crew report at launch pad.
Milestones: EVA at home, speeds of 25m/s, 80m/s, 250m/s, first launch, altitudes of 500m, 2000m, 7000m, return to surface, first crew recovery, first home experiments

Science gathered: 24.3 (34.3 total)
Funds collected: 2757 (112859 total)
Crew XP: Bob - 1 (1 total)

All in all, a successful mission. We are on our way to infinity and beyond!

Last edited by Umbrella : 04-13-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 2
Goals: Escape the atmosphere, return safely

With our new science from the last mission, we were able to upgrade our tech. We opened up Basic Rocketry, Engineering 101, and Survivability. We also accepted two new missions: Test LV-T45 "Swivel" liquid fuel engine on an escape trajectory out of Kerbin, and Test MK16 parachute in flight over Kerbin.

Rocket assembly: MK16 Parachute , MK1 Command Pod (with no monopropellant), TR-18A Stack Decoupler, LV-T45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine, 4 FL-T100 Fuel Tanks, 4 Basic Fins, 2 Goo Cannisters, and a 2HOT Thermometer.

Mass: 4.845T
Height: 5.7m
Width: 1.7m
Length: 1.7m
Stages: 2
Cost: 5810
Crew: Bob (Scientist)
Launch Time: Not recorded

Looking more like a rocket

We launched. Since Bob isn't a pilot, we didn't have SAS capability. This turned out to be a problem. At roughly 8000m, I overcorrected, and we lost control. Luckily, the fuel ran out not too long after that, so disaster was averted.

A video of us spinning around would be better, but this screenshot will have to do.

Unfortunately, while trying to save the rocket, I missed my window of opportunity to deploy the parachute within the requirements of the mission.

Missions accomplished: None
Science gathered: Goo cannisters, temperature, crew report, and EVA at grasslands.
Milestones: Land distance records of 1000 and 3000km.

Science gathered: 11.7 (23 total)
Funds recovered: 3427 (162262 total)
Crew XP: Bob - 0 (1 total)

Also, I discovered hitting F3 gives more info about the mission.
Total Mission Time: 04:13
Highest Altitude Achieved: 10,216m
Highest Speed Achieved: 647 m/s
Highest Speed Over Land: 335 m/s
Ground Distance Covered: 22,587m
Total Distance Traveled: 54,815m
Most Gee Forces Endured: 16.2G

We will need much more power to get into space. And we will certainly use a pilot for the next mission. Also, seeing that Gee Force number, I think I need to cut back on the throttle earlier. There was some learning done, and some new science, but this mission would have to be classified as a failure.

Last edited by Umbrella : 04-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 3
Goals: Escape the atmosphere, return safely

Icarus 3 is attempting to pick up where Icarus 2 failed. Only some minor modifications were made.

Rocket assembly: Same as Icarus 2, with the exception of 6 FL-T100 Fuel Tanks instead of 4.

Mass: 5.97T
Height: 7.0m
Width: 2.2m
Length: 2.2m
Stages: 2
Cost: 6110
Crew: Jebedian (Pilot)

This launch, with SAS enabled, went much better. I started to run into some heat issues when exiting the atmosphere, so I had to back off the throttle.

I ran out of fuel before reaching space, but I had plenty of speed, and decoupling the first stage got rid of some unwanted mass. Soon, I heard the sweet music of escaping the atmosphere, and reaching space.

We didn't have any fuel left, so we ended up coming down after a little bit of floating around. I started to worry during re-entry, since I didn't have any heat shields, but it turned out to not be an issue.

We were moving too fast during the required altitude range to accomplish the parachute testing. We safely splashed down in the ocean.

Science gathered: Goo cannisters in upper atmosphere and space. Temperature in space. Crew report and EVA in Kerbin's waters.
Milestones: Speed record of 790m/s, Altitude record of 22km and 70km, Land distance records of 10km, 32km, and 100km, Reached space, and splashed down in the ocean.

Science gathered: 40.2 (71 total)
Funds recovered: 3628 (237821 total)
Crew XP: Jeb - 1 (1 total)

I forgot to hit F3 and get my flight report . However, this was a huge success. I'll need just a little more fuel to be able to achieve orbit once I reach space. We had plenty of thrust when leaving Kerbin, so I think we are getting close. But congrats to Jeb, becoming the first Kerbal to reach space.

Last edited by Umbrella : 04-13-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Check imgur links, you went to the effort of making screenshots and now none of us can see them .
Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 4
Goals: Establish orbit around Kerbin

I went to see what new techs I could acquire. I ended up getting General Rocketry, and then I saw Basic Science. This allowed my to build an unmanned pod. That's when I decided to try and build an unmanned satellite to send into orbit.

Rocket assembly: Probodobodyne Stayputnik, Communotron 16, SC-9001 Science Jr, Service Bay (1.25m) with Z-100 Rechargeable Battery Pack inside, 4 FL-T200 Fuel Tanks, 2 LV-T30 "Reliant" Liquid Fuel Engines, 4 basic fins.

I forgot to record the stats of the satellite. I'm not too good at record keeping.

In happier times

Now some of you who are familiar with this game and are paying attention to my build list might be asking "Wait, how are you going to control this?" Like I said, I'm new at this game, and I didn't realize this was an issue until after I launched, and it was completely unresponsive to my controls. It went OK for a little bit, and then the fun began. It flipped over, and was headed straight for the Space Center.

Uh-oh

At this point, I panicked. I decided to release the first stage in hopes that would do something. It initially did, with everything heading out towards the ocean.

This won't end well

It was actually pretty funny watching all of these rocket pieces, still with fuel, shooting all over the place.

Chaos

I decoupled the second stage in a last ditch effort. In retrospect, I don't know what I was trying to accomplish with that. The result was expected.

Amazingly, some of the parts survived that fiery crash. But there is no way to describe this as anything but an unmitigated disaster.

Science gathered: None
Milestones: None, at least none that are positive.

Science gathered: 0.1 (6 total)
Funds recovered: 3234 (211,362 total)

Total Mission Time: 01:25
Highest Altitude Achieved: 6716m
Highest Speed Achieved: 386 m/s
Highest Speed Over Land: 266 m/s
Ground Distance Covered: 8541m
Total Distance Traveled: 32,621m
Most Gee Forces Endured: 22.9G

I did a little research afterwards, and discovered I still need to discover a few techs to give me the parts to control the satellite. This won't be happening for a while, so I think I will just go back to manned flights. With General Rocketry tech, I think I have enough juice to get into orbit. The odd number flights seem to be doing good, so I have high hopes for the next mission.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Check imgur links, you went to the effort of making screenshots and now none of us can see them .

That's weird. They are showing up for me.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
That's weird. They are showing up for me.

Not for me either.

First screencaps I see are with the Icarus 4 mission
Old 04-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Love Kerbal, wish I could get more into it. will be following!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
It flipped over, and was headed straight for the Space Center.

I laughed for a good 3 minutes at this, thinking it was such a Kerbal thing to have happen if it hit.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #13
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I've uploaded the pictures again, so hopefully they work for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I laughed for a good 3 minutes at this, thinking it was such a Kerbal thing to have happen if it hit.

After the initial "oh crap" reaction, it was actually pretty funny. I wish I had a video of all the various stages shooting all over the place. Luckily, the 2 fuel stages ended up in the water, with only the science stage hitting land. Actually, now that I think about it, I should have looked to see if any of the goo canisters or thermometer survived, and taken some science. However, I think I was a little shook up by what I just witnessed, and wasn't thinking clearly.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 5

Missions: I got rid of the mission Test LV-T45 "Swivel" liquid fuel engine on an escape trajectory out of Kerbin, since this won't be happening for quite some time. I added the mission to Orbit Kerbin

Rocket assembly: Stage 3 - MK16 Parachute , MK1 Command Pod (with no monopropellant), 2 Goo Cannisters, and a 2HOT Thermometer; Stage 2 - TR-18A Stack Decoupler, FL-T200 Fuel Tank, LV-45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine; Stage 1 - TR-18A Stack Decoupler, 4 FL-T200 Fuel Tanks, LV-45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine, 4 basic fins;

Mass: 9.805T
Height: 10.7m
Width: 1.5m
Length: 1.3m
Stages: 3
Cost: 8235
Crew: Valentina (Pilot)

After launch, it became apparent that I didn't have enough fuel. Even with both stages, I wasn't able to get to space. Very disappointing. I think there was a bit of operator error involved as well with my launch strategy. I feel like I backed off the throttle too much too soon. Screw them, they can handle Gee forces. I also think I started to level out too quickly as well.

At least I got a cool picture of the splash down.

Science gathered: Crew report flying over Kerbin's waters, Goo canister from Kerbin's water.
Milestones: None.

Science gathered: 7.9 (14 total)
Funds recovered: 3359 (223,286 total)
39 Reputation total
1 XP for Valentina (1 total)

Total Mission Time: 06:51
Highest Altitude Achieved: 23,869m
Highest Speed Achieved: 1,222 m/s
Highest Speed Over Land: 1,221 m/s
Ground Distance Covered: 301,005m
Total Distance Traveled: 346,619m
Most Gee Forces Endured: 7.3G

I think with a little more fuel, and a better flight strategy, we can reach orbit with the next mission.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 6

Missions: I got rid of the mission Test MK16 parachute in flight over Kerbin, since I'm always going way too fast at the altitudes required to test, and I don't want to add anything to slow us down. I added the mission Haul TR-18A Stack Decoupler into flight above Kerbin, since this should come automatically.

Rocket assembly: Same as Icarus 5, with the exception of 6 FL-T200 fuel tanks instead of 4 in Stage 1.

Mass: 12.055T
Height: 12.9m
Cost: 8785

I was ready for this one. I think we can make it, as long as I don't screw it up.

The beginning of greatness

I had a much better angle going. Fuel still looked like it might be an issue. The first stage ran out just before 30km, so I decoupled stage 1, and hoped momentum would continue to carry me.

Things were going to be a bit dicey with the fuel, so I needed to be smart. I was feathering the throttle to keep us heading upward. I knew I could reach space, but it would be really close to see if I had enough fuel to enter and exit orbit. While I was trying to cut throttle, the unthinkable happened.

Why are you laughing Valentina? This is NOT funny!

Yep, that's stage 2 floating off the picture to the left. I inadvertently hit the space bar, decoupling all of my remaining fuel. I suck so bad at this.

At least I splashed down safely. Another effort in frustration.

Missions accomplished: Haul TR-18A Stack Decoupler into flight above Kerbin
Science gathered: Temperature flying over Kerbin's waters

Science gathered: 6.5 (22 total)
Funds recovered: 3430 (231,149 total)
42 Reputation total

I'm not sure how my reputation went up after such a bonehead maneuver. Maybe because I accomplished a mission.

In my disgust, I forgot to get a flight report. Next mission, more of the same, but hopefully I can get through this without any more Kerbal sized errors. My stupidity bar is pretty far to the right.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #16
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 7

My goal was to not be an idiot, and do the same thing as Icarus 6. I wanted to use Jeb as the pilot for good luck.

Rocket assembly: Same as Icarus 6

Mass: 12.055T
Height: 12.9m
Cost: 8785
Crew: Jebediah (Pilot)

I tried to use the same strategy as last mission. I'm not sure what I did differently, but I ran out of fuel even before I reached space. I think I started my turn too early, and too severe. Only one screenshot for this one.

Science gathered: Crew report, Goo canister, and temperature in Upper Atmosphere.

Science gathered: 14 (36 total)
Funds recovered: 3088 (225,453 total)
42 Reputation total

Total Mission Time: 09:55
Highest Altitude Achieved: 58,588m
Highest Speed Achieved: 1,444 m/s
Highest Speed Over Land: 1,392 m/s
Ground Distance Covered: 687,815m
Total Distance Traveled: 787,604m
Most Gee Forces Endured: 7.9G

It's obvious my current strategy is not working. I think I'm going to try something different for the next mission.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #17
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 8

I knew I needed to try something different. I got the Stability tech with my science upgrades. The key to this was being able to get Radial Decouplers. This allowed for the next generation rocket. Introducing Icarus 8.

Rocket assembly: For starters, I just realized I was doing the stages backwards. So from now on, stage 1 is closest to the bottom.
Stage 1 - 2 RT-10 "Hammer" Solid Fuel Boosters, 2 TT-38K Radial Decouplers, 2 nose cones.
Stage 2 - 6 FL-T200 Fuel Tanks, TR-18A Stack Decoupler, 4 basic fins, LV-T45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine
Stage 3 - TR-18A Stack Decoupler, FL-T200 Fuel Tank, FL-T100 Fuel Tank, LV-T45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine
Stage 4 - MK1 Command Pod, MK16 Parachute, 2 Goo Canisters, 2HOT Thermometer, 1.25 Heat Shield

Mass: 19.853T
Height: 13.5m
Width: 4.5m
Length: 1.8m
Stages: 4
Cost: 11,415

However, at this point, I found out I can't launch. My launch pad is only able to launch up to 18 tons, so I was forced to upgrade the launch pad. Here is the rocket with the new launch pad.

Behold the majesty

The launch went great. The added boosters were what I needed to get into space. By the time I got rid of stage 2, we had more than enough altitude.

Now it was time to straighten it out, and establish orbit. But yet again, I didn't have my fuel right. I ran out of fuel before I could get the full orbit.

Oops, forgot to update my ship's name.

Disappointment again. Still, a nice shot of my "almost" orbit.

I see you moon. You're next!

Re-entry wasn't so smooth. Both of my goo canisters exploded as we came in through the atmosphere. I'm not sure why this happened. I guess my heat shield didn't provide enough coverage. Also, said heat shield exploded upon landing, which scared the crap out me, until I realized it wasn't the command pod.

Science gathered: Crew report in space near Kerbin, Temperature scan flying over Kerbin's grasslands.

Science gathered: 11.9 (30 total)
Funds recovered: 998 (164,810 total)
42 Reputation total

I forgot to get the flight report, yet again.

Based on this flight, I am very close. I don't need quite as much fuel in stage 2, and more in stage 3. This should be enough to get the job done on the next flight.

Last edited by Umbrella : 04-15-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #18
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Icarus 9

With some minor tweaks to the previous mission, I felt like this was finally the time I would taste sucess.

Rocket assembly:
Stage 1 - Same as Icarus 8
Stage 2 - 5 FL-T200 Fuel Tanks, 1 FL-T100 Fuel Tank, TR-18A Stack Decoupler, 4 basic fins, LV-T45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine
Stage 3 - TR-18A Stack Decoupler, 2 FL-T200 Fuel Tanks, FL-T100 Fuel Tank, LV-T45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine
Stage 4 - MK1 Command Pod, MK16 Parachute, 2 Goo Canisters, 2HOT Thermometer, 1.25 Heat Shield

I used the exact same strategy as last mission. Once I got into space, I waited patiently to hit apoapsis, then full throttle horizontally with the horizon. The result...

SUCCESS!! I finally reached orbit. Unfortunately, if you notice, the fuel situation is pretty grim.

I was afraid Valentina was going to be stuck up there for a while. So I took some pictures of her view.

I decided to try a bit of a desperate strategy to try and get her home. When I reached the apoapsis, I would burn the little remaining fuel while pointing retrograde. I seriously doubted it would get me back to Kerbin, but I had no other options.

Unfortunately, I was correct. However, the burn did get the periapsis down to around 56km. I hoped that the atmospheric pressure would be enough to slow me down to the point I could land. For that reason, I didn't decouple stage 3 until I reached the periapsis. Operation "Please Let Gravity Save My Ass" was now in motion.

Last stage ejected. Let's hope for the best.

I did get some atmospheric drag. The periapsis didn't change much, but the apoapsis started plummeting. I stayed in orbit for one more revolution around Kerbin. The second time I reached the periapsis, the drag was enough to pull me back to Kerbin. I decided to eject the heat shield before landing to not take any chances with any explosions.

Missions accomplished: Orbit around Kerbin
Science gathered: Temperature scan from Kerbin's waters.
Milestones: Orbit around Kerbin.

Science gathered: 13.7 (60 total)
Funds recovered: 3135 (283,360 total)
72 Reputation total
1 XP for Valentina, which makes her a level 1 pilot.

I forgot to get the flight report, which ticked me off because this one would have been pretty interesting.

Also, stage 3 is still in orbit, though I think it will come down eventually for the same reason we were able to land.

I'm not sure what I want to do now. The next major goal will be the moon, but I'm trying decide if I want to get one more Icarus flight for Jeb to get him to level one. Also, if I decide to do that, I think I will upgrade my astronaut complex so I can do EVA's in space.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #19
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Good stuff, keep going.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Awesome read. I bought the game but never played it... now I am going to start tomorrow.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #21
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Must. have. MOAR!!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #22
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Sorry, been pretty busy, and my gaming time is down. I might play a little this weekend.