Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Captim
n00b

New Retro FM GW

Hi everyone,

I am a long term lurker and have enjoyed many aspects of this site. I have played quite a lot of FOM in single player ( and I am a huge NFL fan ), but as an Englishman I know where my real expertise lies.

Therefore, I propose an alternative take on the dynatsy style. The difference is that you'll not be involved from day one, instead you will join me in my ultimate football ( socccer ) challenge!

Over the past 5 or 6 years of real life I have played a FM12 career game, losing faith then grabbing the game again and trying to achieve my dream. Over 600 games have been played.

The situation is that tiny Cambridge United have finally now reached the vaunted heights of the English Premier League, all the way from the lowly depths of non league football.

It has taken 11 seasons of game time and many, many hours of my precious wasted life to reach this moment.

The difference for me is that the game has always been a football RPG, therefore I have never, and will never, use the 'meta' game features to find the best players. I only use my scouts and in game notifcation information to recruit new talent.

The club had a very small stadium of just 8,000 capacity to compete over these past seasons. Finally however the owners borrowed the money to build a new facility of almost 17,000 capacity to open at the beginning of this season - The season when I have finally reached the top table of Soccer's most exciting league.

How will I fare?

Any interested watchers please say Hi. I'd love to share a fun old school, game with you all. FM12 was the peak of the series for me, before it became overcome with graphical and non-football issues....

Best wishes.

Tim

Last edited by Captim : 03-25-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Captim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Welcome! Always good to see a throwback FM version get some love. Those were some of my favorite versions of the game.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{waves}
Old 03-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Captim
n00b

Thanks - now, a newb moment

Thanks guys,

So, here is my FM career thus far....

Aside from my Cambridge job I dabbled in internanational manangement taking the Ivory Coast to 4th place in the World Cup of 2014.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tim Villars (History_ Overview).jpg (182.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Captim : 03-25-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Captim
n00b

Late May 2022

Everton and Bayern Leverkusen both offer me very lucartive managerial jobs.

No way I can manage Everton, they are fierce rivals of my favouritve team, Liverpool.

Managing in the German Bundesliga might be fun one day. However, I am committed to Cambridge. We are starting the greatest chapter in their history and I owe it to the fans and the team to see what we can achieve.

I'm waiting on my clubs owners to crunch the numbers on what I can spend to make a Premier League charge.

In the meantime I am hiring backroom staff like crazy, coaches and especially scouts that I can dispatch all over Europe and the world to find top talent before the big guns grab them.

Last edited by Captim : 03-25-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Captim
n00b

A quick Premier League guide to who's who in 2022;

Chelsea are the new champions. Managed by a certain Slavin Billic

Newcaslte United were the big suprises grabbing 2nd spot with returning
manager (Sir) Alan Shearer ( getting off his ass from the TV couch! )

Third place were Jose Morinho's Manchester City. Big money but no Silverware. Sorry Jose.

Fourth came in the old Mighty Liverpool. With a bold managerlal choice in Gareth Southgate. He's growing a young team - is he the right man?

Finally, an honourable mention for Arsenal. They beat Chelsea to win the Champions League ( at last! ) under manager Sinisa Mijlalovic. A great achievement, but sadly at the expense of their league form. They finished 7th.

Last edited by Captim : 03-25-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
Captim
n00b

May 29th 2022,

The board make their initial budgetary indication and it's a scary one.

A £20k increase in weekly payroll. Well, that has already been eaten by payrise promises to my best players,

TV money should be circa £30m a season for Premier league teams, plus a doubling of season ticket holders with the new stadium.

Show me the money!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #8
Captim
n00b

June 9th 2022

The board come through finally and put £13m on the table for me to stengthen the squad.

I immediately move as much as possible into my wage budgets, £6m is set aside there giving me a rather paltry £227,000 a week to pay my entire squad. This in a league where the top teams are paying £150,000 a week for a single player!

My maximum wage for a player stands at £23,000. Not enough to attract even a modest international talent. But it's a huge upgrade on what i've had before at least.

Time to start the player recruitment in earnest. I live in hope that as the season tickets start selling for the new stadia the board will flush more cash my way.

I need a talent upgrade in pretty much every position group, and have some vultures circling around my current best players threatening to poach them with big money offers I simply could not match.

The new scouts are in France, Portugal and Holland looking for possible buys in those leagues which are traditionally good for poaching cheaper talent.

The 2022 World cup begins tomorrow in the football hotbed of Qatar. Hope everyone has packed there sun screen!

We have one player representing the mighty Cambridge, playing for Wales. Hope he get's back in one piece....

Last edited by Captim : 03-28-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Captim
n00b

July 1st 2022

I commit my future to the club signing a new 4 year contract worth a whopping £20,500 a week. Seems the board value me more highly than much of my squad. They also agree to splash £350k on new training facilities, but they won't be completed until October 2023. We'll be training on the local council park for season one in the Premier league, against the best in the world...

The wage budget was blown even quicker than I had feared. Just two new signings combined with contractual wage rises for the key men in the squad mean that i'm now shopping in the budget aisle again.

I'll post a full squad breakdown when it's completed. The new stadium is opened and the club expect 8,000 season tickets to be sold, added to the £43m a year I will gradually receive in TV money I am still pinning my hopes on the budgets being raised before the transfer window closes.

I opted for the safe route with board expectatations, accepting their £13m offer to avoid relagation in season one. Now fearing that I should have backed myself a bit more and promised a mid table finish for another couple of million - they gave me the four year contract after I had made that choice... Welcome to the sharp end of footballing finances

Last edited by Captim : 03-28-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Captim
n00b

July 10th 2022

I add two loan signings to add cheap depth to the squad which is scarily light.

Pre-season begins and I pick up the customary 5 week injury to a first team player.

My assistant arranged a very bland array of pre-season opponents so I pay for Brazil's mighty Flamengo to visit the new Cambridge stadium to give it a proper inauguration a week before the league begins in earnest. Hopefully some Brazilian flair will rub off on my young team!

First league game is at home vs West Brom. Followed by Everton, Newcastle and Tottenham. That first match will be huge therefore, not expecting much from those following fixtures....

Last edited by Captim : 03-28-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Captim
n00b

The summer World Cup of 2022 in Qatar is won by.... Iran!

Who says this game doesn't count environmental effects into it's logic

Thank goodness the actual WC got moved into the Arabian winter!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
Captim
n00b

15th July 2022

The first pre-season match is played at the new stadia. It is a truly marvellous construction. Room at each corner for further expansion, the seating is all black and creates a menacing feel.

Here's hoping that those dark unused seats will be filled come the regular season as a distrurbinlgly talented Chelsea reserves beat us 1-2 in our second pre-season match...

Last edited by Captim : 03-28-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
Captim
n00b

Aug 8th 2022

The pre season is completed with a very encouraging 2-0 win over Flamengo in front of TV camera's.

Nothing from the board re releasing more funds into the playing budget, last month yielded £4m profit as season tickets and the massive TV money started to arrive in earnest.

Our key players made it through pre-season intact though. I'll give the board two weeks before I request an audience. The squad is crying out for an experienced CM or DM to run my system at Premier League pace. Just another million or so will allow me to grab a target...

Last edited by Captim : 03-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
Captim
n00b

Here's the current state of the squad as we prepare for the first match of the season...

First team talent but very little depth. Working hard to train up the youngsters with mentoring.

Last edited by Captim : 03-31-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 PM   #15
Captim
n00b

And here's the formation...

I usually prefer a defensive 4-3-3, especially at this new level. The front 3 have freedom to create havoc supported by a sound defensive base. The CM and sometimes a DM will join the attacks when possible.

The FB's are pushed on when the need arises, but in the Premiership i'll play mostly on the counter attack,

Manager wise I play each match in extended highlights, each match should be an event and I monitor as much as possibe. Especially opposition subs to ensure a change of formation or change of personel up front that might make me alter my marking or formation choices.

Last edited by Captim : 03-31-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #16
Captim
n00b

A tight - 0-0 draw versus West Brom is played out in a full Cambridge Stadium. Goals may be hard to find at the top level but a clean sheet at least is encouraging.

A player by player introuction will follow in future updates. Beginning with (Sir) Johnathan Yorwerth. Plucked from the Welsh domestic leagues, he's a Cambridge legend and International regular.

The King in our plans this season.

Last edited by Captim : 03-31-2017 at 06:36 PM.